Which Densha Otoko do you prefer?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.

Movie Densha
20%
Drama Densha
80%

Total votes: 40

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Jul 17th, '06, 20:14

As some of you know there are two densha otoko's, one from a movie and one from the popular drama.

Spoiler about movie densha
I think he was the salary man in the drama densha's fight with the drunk guy.
Each of them has some pros and cons. The one in the movie seemed to be whiny as in he mostly caused his own problems and took some things way out of proportion. And the one from the series was wimpy and well not very bright (the comic thing he did made absolutely no sense to me, but then again I don't care much for anime lol).

The movie densha was taller, had a better job, smarter, and more assertive. The drama densha seemed like he truly worried about hermes more and was much more persistent-movie densha quit kinda too fast.

What do you guys think?

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 17th, '06, 21:35

Drama. Cause it made the story better. ALthough, Misato was kind of the reason for that, watching the movie i thought "This guy can get this girl....there's nothing special about the situation."

But Misato....DAMN....And the movie characters chemistry wasnt as good.

And i think the drama one is a better actor as well.

So Drama Densha, whiny as he was.

luckysmile20
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by luckysmile20 » Jul 18th, '06, 00:12

Drama Densha.
I like Itoh Misaki and Drama Densha... they're acting skills are superb...

I like Movie Densha as an actor as well... but I don't really like the main lead lady.

Overall, Drama is more entertaining as Drama Densha is so funny... and the story is well made....
I was hooked since the first epi and watched the whole episodes in 1 day!

While I don't enjoyed watching the Movie as much as the Drama...

pinkuonigiri

Post by pinkuonigiri » Jul 18th, '06, 03:15

Drama…
thought I’m quite biased because i haven’t seen the movie <<:; but I’ve heard that it was less funny then the drama and densha's "make over" was completely from geek to pretty boy and I don’t think that’s as realistic( its what I heard correct me if I’m wrong)

I really did love the humor and the chemistry of the characters.
(despite the whininess of densha and itou misaki's slightly stiff performance)

I thought I heard the movie got licensed???? ( in north America at least) I really hope the drama does too but I’m not holding my breath.

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Jul 18th, '06, 05:39

Pretty much what everybody else has voted for which is the drama. Ito Misaki really won me over. Densha's character too. I haven't seen the movie but I've heard mixed reviews.

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Jul 18th, '06, 09:43

The movie can't beat the drama, the drama was amazing! ending up with 25% viewership and getting a special right after and another up coming special this September. (I've not even bothered watching the movie, I don't see a point since a lot of things don't seem as good).

Miyaguchi

Post by Miyaguchi » Jul 18th, '06, 10:04

Movie...

Why? First of all - it is movie. Simply sometimes drama was boring for me...Second cast - I like Miki Nakatani so much. She is very good actress for me. Last - my impressions. When I watched Densha Otoko ( movie ) I was so so surprised. And I won't forget about many funny scenes ( of cuz i know that drama have many funny too, but I was to more enjoy myself when I was watching movie )...

roburn

Post by roburn » Jul 18th, '06, 10:09

Hands down the drama. :cheers:

Why.. Cause it's funny and with misaki itoh as the female lead and u can really feel the 'gap' between her and Atsushi.

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Jul 18th, '06, 19:07

Just to make things clear, I did not mean "which did you like better the movie or the drama?". To that one like 90%+ will say the drama. The drama had more comedy, more plot twists, and masaki itoh (honestly I don't think she's a good actress, but that god she has her looks). In the movie they had to squeeze that entire story all into just less than 2 hours. I mean obviously they will not have the same funny jokes or side plots that the drama (which is over 10 hours altogether) has.

The question is which densha (not the actor, the character) do you prefer?

If you want to give your opinion on which series is better and why, that's cool too. Just make sure you don't forget the question lol.

and JIC if you want my opinion on which is better the movie or drama? Definitely the drama, it was funny as hell, the internet people were a lot better in the the drama, masaki itoh was hotter than that other girl (although I like the other girls personality more), and best of all you get to see sakurai fail in every attempt he made lol (COME BAAAAAAACK).

hepcat05

Post by hepcat05 » Jul 18th, '06, 20:43

OP, thanks for clarifying what you’re asking for, I wasn’t quite sure. :-)

To answer the original question: I liked Drama Densha better by far.

First, there’s the difference in appearance between the actors, which I’ve already seen several people comment on. Movie Densha went from looking like a mildly nerdy guy to someone who looked like he could be a movie star after his makeover. Drama Densha went from hardcore otaku to a normal looking guy (if a little short). So, even after his makeover, it still seemed exceedingly unlikely that he could land a woman like Hermes. That helped Drama Densha maintain his underdog status throughout the series.

Regarding their acting, let me clear that I have no problem with Yamada Takayuki’s performance. He’s a good actor who did a decent job in the movie. But casting Atsushi Ito in the drama was a stroke of pure genius. Atsushi has a knack for physical comedy, is an excellent actor, and left me unable to imagine anyone else playing the role.

As for the development of their characters, Drama Densha is once again the clear winner. Movie Densha seemed to regress and become more pathetic as the movie went on. Drama Densha made mistakes and never did away completely with his social awkwardness, but there were clear signs of progress. Examples: 1. While Drama Densha always looks to the forum for advice, there’s a difference between posting “I’ll do whatever the next person says” and taking several pieces of advice, weighing your options, and making your own choice. Drama Densha does the latter on several occasions, especially after the 3rd episode. 2. The 5th episode when Drama Densha asked Hermes if he can walk her home without studdering. 3. The unforgettable “I lost my contact lens” scene in the finale. Drama Densha played that one perfectly. :notworthy:

So, to answer the other question, it should be obvious that I liked the drama better. The movie was good, and I did enjoy it. But the drama remains one of the funniest and best overall pieces of entertainment I’ve seen from any country. I’ve told many of my friends about it, and I always say to them that while both are worth watching, the drama is much better.
pinkuonigiri wrote:I thought I heard the movie got licensed???? ( in north America at least) I really hope the drama does too but I’m not holding my breath.
I’ve heard this too, but I can’t find any details. Does it mean the Japanese movie will see a limited release here in the U.S., or is someone actually talking about making an American version of the movie. (Please, please do not do this. :roll )

Edit: Typo.
Last edited by hepcat05 on Jul 21st, '06, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 18th, '06, 20:50

hepcat05 wrote:OP, thanks for clarifying what you’re asking for, I wasn’t quite sure. :-)

To answer the original question: I liked Drama Densha better by far.

First, there’s the difference in appearance between the actors, which I’ve already seen several people comment on. Movie Densha went from looking like a mildly nerdy guy to someone who looked like he could be a movie star after his makeover. Drama Densha went to from hardcore otaku to a normal looking guy (if a little short). So, even after his makeover, it still seemed exceedingly unlikely that he could land a woman like Hermes. That helped Drama Densha maintain his underdog status throughout the series.

Regarding their acting, let me clear that I have no problem with Yamada Takayuki’s performance. He’s a good actor who did a decent job in the movie. But casting Atsushi Ito in the drama was a stroke of pure genius. Atsushi has a knack for physical comedy, is an excellent actor, and left me unable to imagine anyone else playing the role.

As for the development of their characters, Drama Densha is once again the clear winner. Movie Densha seemed to regress and become more pathetic as the movie went on. Drama Densha made mistakes and never did away completely with his social awkwardness, but there were clear signs of progress. Examples: 1. While Drama Densha always looks to the forum for advice, there’s a difference between posting “I’ll do whatever the next person says” and taking several pieces of advice, weighing your options, and making your own choice. Drama Densha does the latter on several occasions, especially after the 3rd episode. 2. The 5th episode when Drama Densha asked Hermes if he can walk her home without studdering. 3. The unforgettable “I lost my contact lens” scene in the finale. Drama Densha played that one perfectly. :notworthy:

So, to answer the other question, it should be obvious that I liked the drama better. The movie was good, and I did enjoy it. But the drama remains one of the funniest and best overall pieces of entertainment I’ve seen from any country. I’ve told many of my friends about it, and I always say to them that while both are worth watching, the drama is much better.
pinkuonigiri wrote:I thought I heard the movie got licensed???? ( in north America at least) I really hope the drama does too but I’m not holding my breath.
I’ve heard this too, but I can’t find any details. Does it mean the Japanese movie will see a limited release here in the U.S., or is someone actually talking about making an American version of the movie. (Please, please do not do this. :roll )
Viz owns it. Id expect a DVD release to coincide with the manga coming out this fall. (Although that was the Nana plan, and they are sitting on the movie still even though the manga is out. but that might be because they want to release the anime at the same time...not a problem with densha)

no crap ass remake, sorry. :P

prismatic_star

Post by prismatic_star » Jul 21st, '06, 02:52

I'd say drama densha since he's really talented and moved me with his ability to whine and yet make me root for him!!

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Jul 21st, '06, 04:32

Actually, won't Viz be having a limited release of the Densha Otoko movie in some theaters early next year and then releasing the DVD a couple months afterwards? I think that's what they said in their press release for the movie...doinkies hopes Viz or somebody else might get the J-drama, because I like the J-drama better, but unfortunately it would probably be a big problem to license the music rights...:( (At least there aren't any Johnny's actors or songs from Johnny's groups in the J-drama or else it would probably be even harder!) And no, no doinky remake, just a limited release of the original movie and then a DVD release of the movie. ^^

Anyway, I liked Itou Atsushi's Densha performance, although he was whiny, better than Yamada Takayuki in the movie. I don't think Yamada Takayuki suited Densha plus he looked creepy before the makeover and then after the makeover he became Insta-Bishie...uh...I don't think that "Densha Otoko" and "bishie" fit in the same sentence together. Sorry. XD

aiscess83

Post by aiscess83 » Jul 21st, '06, 04:49

I prefer Drama Densha :-)

Because Itoh Atsushi really fits the character of an Otaku, you would really believe that he's an authentic one he he he :lol and I felt that Yamada Takayuki(no offense guys, I'm also a fan of his) was trying hard to be one :-(

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 21st, '06, 12:31

doink-chan wrote:Actually, won't Viz be having a limited release of the Densha Otoko movie in some theaters early next year and then releasing the DVD a couple months afterwards? I think that's what they said in their press release for the movie...doinkies hopes Viz or somebody else might get the J-drama, because I like the J-drama better, but unfortunately it would probably be a big problem to license the music rights...:( (At least there aren't any Johnny's actors or songs from Johnny's groups in the J-drama or else it would probably be even harder!) And no, no doinky remake, just a limited release of the original movie and then a DVD release of the movie. ^^

Anyway, I liked Itou Atsushi's Densha performance, although he was whiny, better than Yamada Takayuki in the movie. I don't think Yamada Takayuki suited Densha plus he looked creepy before the makeover and then after the makeover he became Insta-Bishie...uh...I don't think that "Densha Otoko" and "bishie" fit in the same sentence together. Sorry. XD
Viz has no mechanism to release movies to theaters...they might be talking screenings or something like that. I heard that two but it stuck me as not possible, and then Viz pushed up the manga release. :salut:

Have you heard anything about Nana? They are sitting on the film.

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jul 21st, '06, 15:11

Definately the movie. Nakatani Miki plays the role very well and realistically.

Actually, the entire movie was realistic... which is nice, because it's based on real life.

The drama, on the other hand, was completely outlandish. It fell into all of the drama cliches and had to integrate cartoon cliches due to the nature of the characters.

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Jul 21st, '06, 16:19

Now that I think about it a little, I have to agree with hikkichan (I'm guessing you like Utada hikaru right?). The densha in the movie was a lot more realistic than the densha in the drama. I actually read the original messages he wrote and the movie really does do a good job representing what happened.

I honestly think that the drama was way too farfetched. I mean she was a grand beauty and he seemed like a little rodent around her lol. The idea that he was going to protect her just didn't sink into my head. And he was so whiny and wimpy, he just kinda took the otaku stereotype to the freaklike extremes. And storywhise what they were pretty much saying was that the only way a beauty like Hermes could be with a loser like Densha is if she had a mental disorder/trauma and didn't trust men.

Movie densha was actually a lot more normal and represented what the average (maybe a bit more than average) otaku are really like in Japan, instead of what they are stereotypically like.

I still like the drama better because it had more jokes, a few nice subplots, and the internet people were a lot better than the ones in the movie. But the main two actors in the drama getting together was just not realistic. A girl like masaki is just too far out of atsushi's league. I think they should've put a different actress there (at least one that was his height).

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Jul 21st, '06, 16:24

nikochanr3 wrote:
Viz has no mechanism to release movies to theaters...they might be talking screenings or something like that. I heard that two but it stuck me as not possible, and then Viz pushed up the manga release. :salut:

I don't think Viz even has the Nana movie yet, they haven't formally announced it. I think they'll probably release it in the future though - but they want to get up to the part of the manga that is the last part the movie covers first (don't forget that Nana is running in a magazine here too).

expo1970

Post by expo1970 » Jul 21st, '06, 16:31

movie by far.

like previous people have said, the drama was way farfetched. Integrated ridiculous humor to bring in the child crowd. Totally unrealistic. Added tons of stupid stories like surfing to make it last 11 episodes. There never was a rival character in the original threads. Just the fact that the entire story was stretched for 11 episodes alone made it very long and boring. The actual events were much shorter (assuming that the threads are real).

Biggest problem with the drama denshaotoko, is that you can't root for the main character. He's so otakki and weird and disgusting that you don't want him to get with hermes. In the movie, when he cleans up, he is actually handsome which makes it believable that hermes would get with him. When i was in the theatre, all the girls gasped at the scene where densha dressed up (despite the fact that they've seen yamada takayuki in other stuff before and in the CMs).

Just the fact that the characters were more real and believable made you actually want to root for them in the movie. The drama was just another summer drama, just trashy entertainment. Annoying soundtrack too.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 21st, '06, 16:48

doink-chan wrote:
nikochanr3 wrote:

I don't think Viz even has the Nana movie yet, they haven't formally announced it. I think they'll probably release it in the future though - but they want to get up to the part of the manga that is the last part the movie covers first (don't forget that Nana is running in a magazine here too).
actually i read in a trade magazine that they acquired rights to the manga, the movie, and the anime and that they were all a big part of their strategy for late 06 and 07. The interesting thing about the anime was they were exploring broadcast possibitlities for it. i thought that sounded cool.

myke

Post by myke » Jul 22nd, '06, 15:27

Same as every one else..
i prefer Drama than Movie... :lol :lol :lol
The story line in drama is very clear...n not to fast as in the Movie...

:cheers: :mrgreen:

skachild

Post by skachild » Jul 22nd, '06, 15:32

haha... 8) 8)
same as most of us here.... i prefer the drama than the movie... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
why...?? same opinion as myke... that's why...!! :mrgreen:

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jul 26th, '06, 17:39

definitely the drama
partially because i didn't really like the whole scene and outfit the movie densha was wearing and when i started watching it. it just became kind annoying comparing to the hooking feeling i get for watching the drama serious. When I didn't finish watching hte densha otoko drama, i would think about the progress in my dreams. Yes i know it's kind weird but that's how much i Think about it lol xD

s0l1dsn8k3

Re: Which Densha Otoko do you prefer?

Post by s0l1dsn8k3 » Jul 26th, '06, 18:59

kotaeshiranaihito wrote:
Answer to kotaeshiranaihito's spoiler:

- That's because he (Yamada Takayuki) IS the salary man in the drama. If you watch till the end of the movie after the credits, you'll also see Ito Misaki and Ito Atsushi having guest appearance and emulate the same train/drunk/fight scene. The drama started filming just as the filming of the movie was wrapping up. They've already casted Misaki and Atsushi for the drama at the time. So they put both of them in behind the credits to sort of indirectly promote the drama. And at the same time, they also got Yamada Takayuki to play the rescuing salaryman at the begining so that those who watched the movie would think it was cool.
Character-wise, most people in this forum is going to prefer the Drama Densha, which is also my preference. I've watched the movie first before the drama. And my view is that for this kind of relationship presented in this Densha Otoko story, the movie is just too damn short to really develop the connection that Hermes is actually falling in love with Densha.

As much as he tried to play it, the Movie Densha, Yamada Takayuki, just doesn't look or act like an otaku. Plus, the character is, more or less, just a computer geek, rather than an otaku. Though the Drama Densha character, and the entire Drama in general, is played very much in a comedic over-the-top style, Ito Atsushi played it well enough that he's a believable otaku. The Drama story, though a bit exaggerated at times, has enough to develop kind of relationship that Hermes can fall for Densha.

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Jul 26th, '06, 19:21

s0l1dsn8k3 wrote:
kotaeshiranaihito wrote:

- That's because he (Yamada Takayuki) IS the salary man in the drama. If you watch till the end of the movie after the credits, you'll also see Ito Misaki and Ito Atsushi having guest appearance and emulate the same train/drunk/fight scene. The drama started filming just as the filming of the movie was wrapping up. They've already casted Misaki and Atsushi for the drama at the time. So they put both of them in behind the credits to sort of indirectly promote the drama. And at the same time, they also got Yamada Takayuki to play the rescuing salaryman at the begining so that those who watched the movie would think it was cool.
Character-wise, most people in this forum is going to prefer the Drama Densha, which is also my preference. I've watched the movie first before the drama. And my view is that for this kind of relationship presented in this Densha Otoko story, the movie is just too damn short to really develop the connection that Hermes is actually falling in love with Densha.

As much as he tried to play it, the Movie Densha, Yamada Takayuki, just doesn't look or act like an otaku. Plus, the character is, more or less, just a computer geek, rather than an otaku. Though the Drama Densha character, and the entire Drama in general, is played very much in a comedic over-the-top style, Ito Atsushi played it well enough that he's a believable otaku. The Drama story, though a bit exaggerated at times, has enough to develop kind of relationship that Hermes can fall for Densha.

They were wearing different clothes then, that's why I was confused.

Well actually most Otaku do not look like that. If you go to youtube and do a search for the word "otaku" they show you some clips about them. Most of them look and talk completely normally. They had an interview with a really old otaku who said that even though he really was an otaku, he doesn't recommend other people become one. He looked and talked completely normally.

Drama densha was the super ultra mega stereotypical otaku (like Richard from "Beauty and the Geek" was the stereotypical smart guy).

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 26th, '06, 19:57

kotaeshiranaihito wrote:
s0l1dsn8k3 wrote:
kotaeshiranaihito wrote:

They were wearing different clothes then, that's why I was confused.

Well actually most Otaku do not look like that. If you go to youtube and do a search for the word "otaku" they show you some clips about them. Most of them look and talk completely normally. They had an interview with a really old otaku who said that even though he really was an otaku, he doesn't recommend other people become one. He looked and talked completely normally.

Drama densha was the super ultra mega stereotypical otaku (like Richard from "Beauty and the Geek" was the stereotypical smart guy).
there are a ton of people who look like that in akihabara though. :lol there really are, i have spent so much time there in my life and densha, while a very "idealized" (for lack of a better word) representation of this, it's not off base....