[Discussion] Kekkon Dekinai Otoko

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Littleangel91356

[Discussion] Kekkon Dekinai Otoko

Post by Littleangel91356 » Jul 6th, '06, 01:35

I watched it today and it was pretty ok, a bit different from the dramas that I usually watched. Abe Hiroshi san did a good job as always in his role and the actresses were too. Just I never thought it was going to have a idol*tsukamoto Takashi* in this drama.

But well, at least it shows a little bit of uniqueness on this drama. Hope people can say here on how they felt about this drama.

Halko

Post by Halko » Jul 8th, '06, 06:54

I just watched the first episode, i love it! It made me LOL a few times. XD Harhar, especially that last scene, haha.

I also think it's pretty sad how it also focuses on like his bachelor life by himself and same w/Natsumi and whatnot.

Mmm.. Tsukamotoooooo.. LMAO.

ps, this is MimiKitty from AAA forums 8)

Wolfsbane68

Post by Wolfsbane68 » Jul 8th, '06, 10:31

Hilarious even with my rudimentary Japanese skills. Never woulda imagined Abe Hiroshi in *that* particular position :D I also liked the lead actress (especially her handling of polyp-removal tools :P ) I plan to stick with this drama, fansubs or not.

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » Jul 12th, '06, 07:40

lol my first two responders! Ahh yes, I know you nissyxmisako supporter lol.

yea I cracked up on the pulp and how he's soo afraid of that tool. And I never thought his pants will go THAT down for that :lol

Well it is sad and I hate when the young actresses and actors talk about getting girls, about their love life and saying how lonely they both -natsumi and abe san's character..why do i forget his name, are. It's like leave them be. But I want them together so she'll know when to treat him and Abe san won't run away this time lol.

But yeah, it akward to see a hot 41 year old, still unmarried with that talent. I guess his personality needs a bit of a fixup.

usagi_on_the_moon

Post by usagi_on_the_moon » Jul 25th, '06, 05:31

i haven't watched the first ep yet but it looks interesting. I have always enjoyed Abe san's performances.

Crazy Penguin

Post by Crazy Penguin » Jul 25th, '06, 05:35

So far I absolutely love it.

Especially the fact that Abe-san's character and the doctor aren't your typical characters for such plots. They're both not really young anymore. That's great.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Jul 28th, '06, 05:22

HA! This drama is hilarious. This is why I love J-dramas...u can always expect something different. I think the doctor is pretty cute too.

Yukster

Post by Yukster » Aug 2nd, '06, 08:11

Can anyone relate to this drama? I love how they focus on bachelorhood, and how one doesn't have to be married to be fulfilled. I am not sure if Abe-san's charachter's personality became like that because he is single for a long time, or whether he was always like that, and therefore he is single, but it is quite refreshing to see a charachter that is NOT desperate to get married. Personally, I think women automatically assume that men need women to do the household chores and stuff (esp Japanese women), and take it for granted that men can't function without women. When they see a man that is independent, and is able to take care of himself it drives them crazy. Of course, in episode 5, they show Abe's charachter sort of being over whelmed with work and life.

Being single and 30 years old, I sort of understands how he feels. I take pride in being single, being able to cook for myself, and taking care of household chores. While all of my single friends are living with their parents, and dying to get a GF, I am quite happy being single. Of course, when you get sick, it sucks that you are living by yourself... (which I found out the hard way).

I was just wondering if anyone knows what I am talking about...

Crazy Penguin

Post by Crazy Penguin » Aug 2nd, '06, 08:43

Yukster wrote:Can anyone relate to this drama? I love how they focus on bachelorhood, and how one doesn't have to be married to be fulfilled. I am not sure if Abe-san's charachter's personality became like that because he is single for a long time, or whether he was always like that, and therefore he is single, but it is quite refreshing to see a charachter that is NOT desperate to get married. Personally, I think women automatically assume that men need women to do the household chores and stuff (esp Japanese women), and take it for granted that men can't function without women. When they see a man that is independent, and is able to take care of himself it drives them crazy. Of course, in episode 5, they show Abe's charachter sort of being over whelmed with work and life.
I would take this from a different view. Many men assume that they need women to do the household stuff. This, even today, still gets somewhat emphasized by society (and is a load of bull if you ask me).

Though, if I take my father... Without my mother he'd starve to death and would run out of fresh clothes sooner or later.
Yukster wrote:Being single and 30 years old, I sort of understands how he feels. I take pride in being single, being able to cook for myself, and taking care of household chores. While all of my single friends are living with their parents, and dying to get a GF, I am quite happy being single. Of course, when you get sick, it sucks that you are living by yourself... (which I found out the hard way).

I was just wondering if anyone knows what I am talking about...
I agree, definitely. I'd never get a GF or marry just to have help in the household. Heck, I'd even stay at home and turn into a stay-at-home dad. No problems with that. And, if I remember it correctly, isn't Suzuki Koji (author of Ringu and Dark Water, etc) what we'd call "house husband" (or at least used to be)?

rickt

Post by rickt » Aug 2nd, '06, 09:01

Yukster wrote:I was just wondering if anyone knows what I am talking about...
yes, I can sort of understand what you're saying, although it's more like my brother's experience than mine. he was 30 and single, and when I was still living with him he was the one taking care most of the household chores (and I'd say he did it much better than I do) :P when he was finally getting married, I guess it's more towards finding the one he wants to spend the rest of his live with, rather than the pressure of having to get married when you've reached your 30s. 'cos from what I heard, he still does most of the chores even now that he's married... :lol

I guess at some point, when you're single and living on your own, people don't really see it as being independent anymore. somehow the society can't differentiate between not wanting to get married and not being able to find someone to get married. most people will assume the latter when they see you're over 30 and not married.

but yeah, it does suck when you're sick and living on your own, especially when you live far from your family. I guess that's where you need a cute neighbour to help you out... :lol

airskape

Post by airskape » Aug 2nd, '06, 09:58

this drama isnt too bad..not the best though
the past 2 seasons or so of jdramas have been quite dull for me, so im stuck with this and sapuri for this season

yui looks young for her age and ryoko is pretty :D

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Aug 2nd, '06, 14:08

I think that pressure to get married comes still from more traditional Asian/Middle Eastern cultures (Chinese, Korean, Indian, Jewish, etc) I thnk it's less for western cultures. Tho i guess in all cultures you'd be seen as odd for being 40 and never married ...

Hmmm... how about a drama about getting married just so that they can get divorced and be single and not be seen as odd? I think I just came up with an j-drama idea for the next season :lol

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Aug 2nd, '06, 15:07

Yukster wrote: I was just wondering if anyone knows what I am talking about...
Yeah. That's why I love this dorama. Something for the older ppl. I can so relate to Abe Hiroshi's character. The whole ''m single and I'm going to do what I want whenever I want'. (outside of working hours, of course)

They need to touch on how it sucks to be a third wheel when ur friend invites u 4 dinner.

Wolfsbane68

Post by Wolfsbane68 » Aug 3rd, '06, 09:51

Societal pressure aside, they have also shown that Abe Hiroshi's character hasn't found it in himself yet to reach for what he wants most. Maybe making himself vulnerable ranks up there for him with marching up to manga shelves and grabbing some Shounen Jump :-). The second pair of binoculars is proof he's working his courage up though. On a side note, the whole sightseeing trip was hilarious, "goshujin" included.

nak

Post by nak » Aug 4th, '06, 10:29

Wasn't planning to download this series, but since the comments on this drama are positive, i might as well download it-- :-)

I'm quite surprised (offtopic from Kekkon Dekinai Otoko) that the drama "Sapri" is not in the high rankings according to ORICON RANKINGS...out of Top 10, Sapri was...think it was 9th ( :scratch: ) whereas Kekkon Dekinai Otoko is "1st" ( :crazy: ). I'm only saying this because it has such great casts.....perhaps the storyline is not s0 go0d...havn't seen it yet so can't really say anything though :whistling: .

Wolfsbane68

Post by Wolfsbane68 » Aug 4th, '06, 12:34

nak wrote:Wasn't planning to download this series, but since the comments on this drama are positive, i might as well download it-- :-)

I'm quite surprised (offtopic from Kekkon Dekinai Otoko) that the drama "Sapri" is not in the high rankings according to ORICON RANKINGS...out of Top 10, Sapri was...think it was 9th ( :scratch: ) whereas Kekkon Dekinai Otoko is "1st" ( :crazy: ). I'm only saying this because it has such great casts.....perhaps the storyline is not s0 go0d...havn't seen it yet so can't really say anything though :whistling: .
Judging from the only Sapuri ep I watched, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko's cast got better chemistry from the get go. Could be the reason why.

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » Aug 5th, '06, 00:42

I guess it's also the acting. I think the actress for Natsumi san is freaking better uin acting and character than Ito Misaki san*well the age thing and more experience but still* and Kuwano san and Natsumi san aren't really desperate for a relationship. Natsumi san would like one maybe but Kuwano san prefers his own way of life and it makes me realize how you don't really HAVE to have a gf/bf to enjoy and have fun, though it can be a bit more fun.

and yeah, the older women and the younger men isn't really getting my heart in sapuri. I prefer close aged people who can smack each other down and tell them what is wrong and right right in their face, not keeping it in cause of respect and manner. And middle age is a nice age to really use because it doesn't matter as much as before when they were in their 20's.

And asian clutures do see marriage is a 'requirement' for happiness and good health, I think that's not exactly true. Anyone can be happy as long as they find the happiness and know how to pursue it. And I think asian guys, any guys pretty much need to know cook, clean...everything a women can because if seems to me, ir's like using a women for things they can't do. It's like "well the women can do it but the men needs to know also so the work in the home can be spilt into 2"

muffin707

Post by muffin707 » Aug 5th, '06, 15:21

This is a great series, just watched ep 1-4. I love all the characters so far especially the architech. I like the way he enjoys his life outside of work, eating fine food and wine , listening to classical music. Basically doing everything on this own and enjoying every moment of it. But I can see the loneliness in him of being single. Hope he gets together with the doctor in the end, she is sooo cute.

Halko

Post by Halko » Aug 11th, '06, 07:43

Out of all my dramas i'm watching, THIS is my favorite so far. XD I am looking forward to every episode as soon as they come out, ohoho. it's awesome.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Aug 30th, '06, 04:11

I'm surprised that this show is such a hit on this site. A lot of people are dowloading the raw. It's a great show, but isn't it aimed at an older demographic than the average member of this forum? I understand why people my age really dig this series, but I can only guess what aspect of the production appeals to young people.

I agree with earlier posters that the chemistry among the cast is dynamite. There isn't any obvious weak link. The comic timing and pacing is also spot on. I can tell because I watch the raw and find myself laughing, even though I don't understand a word of Japanese (the only show so far that's gotten me to do that).

Yukster

Post by Yukster » Aug 30th, '06, 06:07

You would be suprised at some of the people on this forum... hehe

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Aug 30th, '06, 06:36

joeboygo wrote:I'm surprised that this show is such a hit on this site. A lot of people are dowloading the raw. It's a great show, but isn't it aimed at an older demographic than the average member of this forum? I understand why people my age really dig this series, but I can only guess what aspect of the production appeals to young people.

I agree with earlier posters that the chemistry among the cast is dynamite. There isn't any obvious weak link. The comic timing and pacing is also spot on. I can tell because I watch the raw and find myself laughing, even though I don't understand a word of Japanese (the only show so far that's gotten me to do that).
The drama may target an older audience, but I'm sure we all appreciate fine acting and well-scripted episodes.

This has to be my favourite drama of the season.

myke

Post by myke » Aug 30th, '06, 19:33

Halko wrote:Out of all my dramas i'm watching, THIS is my favorite so far. XD I am looking forward to every episode as soon as they come out, ohoho. it's awesome.
me too...this is one of my favorite drama for this season...beside Sapuri.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
raven_frost wrote:The drama may target an older audience, but I'm sure we all appreciate fine acting and well-scripted episodes.

This has to be my favourite drama of the season.

older people who love Abe Hiroshi acting... :mrgreen:

Keeper of hells gate2

Post by Keeper of hells gate2 » Aug 30th, '06, 23:05

Who needs a pretty young girl to draw and audience. I would try to make a play for Natsumi, even though she is 38 and I am 24. Older Japanese woman are hot. Well, the ones in this drama anyway. Actually, all the girls in this drama are really attractive. As for the popularity of this series. This is just so different then regular Japanese dramas. Abe Hiroshi plays the strange guy really well. The chemistry is their between the characters and the acting isn't over done. Well written, funny, and this drama has that EDGE to it.

SSJSubgeta
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SSJSubgeta » Aug 30th, '06, 23:34

I just finished watching eps 8.....Best episode yet! hillarious. I highly reccomend this one to anyone. Great story great cast shows alot of Ebisu japan great area for a dorama.

did any one notice in the episode where ken chan gets lost and kuwano-san went in to the river/lake or what ever it was he found a little plush dog doll, then in the next episode its in michirus sans table you see a glimpse of it. pretty cool easter eggs, i cant wait for the rest....

to the subber thanks for subbing.

this is my fav dorama this season aside from my boss my hero in second and third Sapuri.

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Aug 31st, '06, 09:37

This is the only drama other than my boss my hero that I immediately download and watch when I see the torrent listed.

I dont bother watching either of those shows on tv though, since I have a small crappy tv with bad sound and not digital. I much prefer to watch the high quality copies available from d-addicts.

kuwano is such a funny character. seems to have no idea about people, always coming right out and saying whatever he thinks without noticing peoples feelings ..well atleast thats what seems to be happening. my japanese is not fantastic and I find kuwano rather hard to understand compared to say, natsumi. nonetheless hiroshi does such a good job acting as an eccentric old guy...

kuwano reminds me of myself way too much...

TG3

Post by TG3 » Sep 1st, '06, 03:41

I DL'ed this on the suggestion of others. It's really funny. I can see how a lot of people can relate to this. I'm close to 30 and where I'm at in work, I really can't see myself having the time to find someone, so I'll probably be in Kuwano's shoes by the time I near 40! :lol

I love his constant griping and criticism.. Kudaranai! (worthless!) :P

rickt

Post by rickt » Sep 1st, '06, 05:07

just finished watching ep 8 last night. Ken-chan really is the best actor out there!! rather than hoping Kuwano to get together with one of the ladies at the end, I'm now wishing that he'll get together with Ken-chan! :lol and the face Ken-chan made after that crashing incident was priceless! he really seemed to be saying "not me, really! I was trying to help!" aww...

oh.. just had to share this screencap with you guys..
why are they sitting the same way? :lol

[img]http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9292 ... anoog7.jpg[/img]

charlene172

Post by charlene172 » Sep 1st, '06, 08:45

lol i never liked pug(whatever the spelling is).. but after this drama.. i totally LOVE it... choooooo CUTE! lol maybe its just ken-chan.......

this drama is uber funny.... abe hiroshi is one great actor!

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » Sep 1st, '06, 17:18

joeboygo wrote:I'm surprised that this show is such a hit on this site. A lot of people are dowloading the raw. It's a great show, but isn't it aimed at an older demographic than the average member of this forum? I understand why people my age really dig this series, but I can only guess what aspect of the production appeals to young people.
Abe san is my love :lol I fangirl over how handsome he is and I don't feel it's a crime :whistling:

Yes it's more to the people who are older but we, the 10's-20's enjoy the humor and the things that kuwano san says and natsumi san and kuwano san are funny when put together .

Oh yeah episode 8, ken was soo cute! I used to know a pug but the sad thing, I couldn't even carry it cause it was soo fat but it still wanted to be held, I was like awwwwww. Pugs are cute, those eyes!

rickt

Post by rickt » Sep 3rd, '06, 06:56

just finished watching ep 9. when I saw the title, I was "HEEHHHH???????" but the outcome is good..
at least he didn't end up with that girl and the doctor's miai didn't go well. I was getting worried when Kuwano called that girl and when the doctor decided to go through with the miai. but to see her shouting at him like that at the park, somehow I feel a little sad... :-( I just didn't want them to be in bad terms..
hope things will go well on the next episode :)

oh and another brilliant performance by Ken-chan!! :wub: he's my new love now!

hakuharu

Post by hakuharu » Sep 3rd, '06, 12:39

Yes, I definitly liked this ep 9. I like the characters and actors to begin with, but then the developement you see in the figures is really believable.
Wanted to share this picture, because it's so hilarious (ep 9):
[img]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1682 ... qh4.th.jpg[/img]
I was laughing so hard when this young girl was dragging him along without mercy!
I don't believe he really wanted to date her... not after this. I was so sorry for him! :lol
There was a moment when I thought he'd end up with Ken-chan and without all the girls. I'm still wondering what the neighbour will get in the end...

TG3

Post by TG3 » Sep 7th, '06, 02:42

Ep. 10 was great. Kuwano seems to be becoming more and more "human" with each episode, showing that he actually does need other people.

Ken-chan was hilarious in this one, again. He made some really funny faces. It's now apparent what he's trying to do:
From the next episode preview, it looks like he's been trying to set up Kuwano + Michiru.
In this episode, we also see Hayasaka really has feelings for Kuwano, as she is visibly hurt when
his co worker says she might have feelings for him. In the next episode, where it looks like Michiru will probably admit she kind of likes Kuwano, we'll probably see Hayasaka have even more of a reaction.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Sep 7th, '06, 21:04

Hey TG3:

What's your take on Hayasaka-sensei's expression after she spoke with Kuwano's Mom:
She tells his mother that Sawasaki is nothing more than a professional collegue to Shinsuke.
I agree with your impression that Shinsuke's little quirks appear to have grown on her. But if this is so, why the ambiguous expression? Should this not be good news for her? Could it be guilt that something she secretly wished for came true at Sawasaki-san's expense? Am I even on the right track? I'm about as clueless as Kuwano when it comes to figuring out what women are thinking.

My Japanese is still rudimentary, and things should clear up for me when the sub comes out. But I can't wait another minute to find out.

If this was the Sawasaki x Kuwano episode, and the next appears to be about Michiru x Kuwano, then gee, I wonder what the finale will be about. Personally, I don't want full resolution at the last episode so we can hold out for a two-hour special (do they even do those?).

TG3

Post by TG3 » Sep 7th, '06, 23:48

When Sawazaki calls her and tells her what happened, Hayasaka looks kind of mad. I think it's because 1) she knows Sawazaki probably liked Kuwano as more-than-colleagues, but Kuwano, being how he is, is incapable of the same feelings. So she feels bad for her. 2) The timing of her call, right after it happened, and what she says at the end, "I really wanted to tell you this," definitely hints at "Hey, I know you like him, so here's your chance." Hayasaka probably feels like she's being pushed into this situation, not unlike an o-miai.

But when she tells Kuwano's mom about what happened, there's kind of a guilty half smile, which to me means that while she feels bad about what happened to Sawazaki, a part of her is happy that she herself still has a chance.

I think the next episode will be even more interesting and may spill into the finale as well. Hayasaka and Michiru have a kind of big sister-little sister relationship, but there's kind of a resentment in Hayasaka because Michiru is younger and prettier and occasionally makes backhanded comments on how Hayasaka is past her prime.

In short, I think Kuwano + Michiru will fire up Hayasaka to actually do something about getting Kuwano's heart. In the end, I think we'll see Kuwano + Hayasaka, but we're not quite there yet.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Sep 8th, '06, 01:43

TG3:

Thank you for responding, I agree with your take on things 100%. Just let me add this little wrinkle: I think another reason Sawasaki called Hayasaka right after her little chat with Kuwano, and the reason she said it the way she did, is
she now knows Kuwano likes Hayasaka.
That would explain the perplexed expression on Hayasaka's face, kinda like a "so what are you trying to tell me" sort of look, because she didn't completely get it. Here, humor me:
Look back at an earlier episode when Sawasaki asked Hayasaka to persuade Kuwano to change his mind about turning down a high-profile job. Sawasaki did so because she sensed that Kuwano valued Hayasaka's opinion a bit more than others, and she turned out to be right. In fact, as early as episode 2, when Sawasaki asked Kuwano what Hayasaka looked like, even though Kuwano feigned distaste, Sawasaki immediately grasped that Kuwano found his new doctor attractive. What Kuwano told her in this Episode's climactic heart-to-heart finally enabled Sawasaki to connect the dots, and, I suspect, made it somewhat easier for her accept that things were not going to change between her and him.

Of course, I may have totally misinterpreted a few choice words to hear what I wanted to hear. At any rate, for me Sawasaki is the most tragic figure in the story. Among all the women in Shinsuke's life, she probably knows and understands him best, even more than his own mom. (Sigh) I hope she somehow hooks up with Kaneda, who is played by her real-life husband. How's that for a twist?

TG3

Post by TG3 » Sep 8th, '06, 04:43

Wow, I didn't know she was married IRL to the actor who plays Kaneda!

I love the Kaneda sub-plot! Kuwano can't stand the guy because he's a poser, but he can't stop checking out his website to see what he does next, and they are regulars at the same bar! :lol

It's also funny because Kaneda's name is a play on words - If you break out his name into 2 parts, it's kane-da, which means "there is money," which pretty much describes him - a man who's all flash and money.

I really like this drama because even the little subplots are funny - Ken-chan, Kaneda, the combini girl and the video rental guy, the restaurants, the bar, etc. The writers did a really good job.

incyphe

Post by incyphe » Sep 8th, '06, 14:42

Yay, Kuwano finally takes the spoon from the convenient store! :cheers:

But seriously, after watching ep 10, I feel really bad for Sawazaki san. And is it me, or does she look really good in this ep? lol

How funny was that part when Ken-chan got busted cheating on Michiru and she gets all pissed? lmao

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Sep 8th, '06, 15:45

Here's another bit of useless info you may find interesting: Hiroshi Abe and Natsukawa Yui (Kuwano & Hayasaka) played a married couple shortly before reuniting for this series. This may explain some of the great chemistry between them. In Yoshitsune, Abe played a lord of the Taira clan and Yui was the noblewoman married to him. Since it was a taiga drama, they were relatively formal with each other, and there wasn't as much intimate interaction between them as we would expect from a modern couple. Still, that project likely accustomed them to working together.

I'm with you on the subplots as well: they're funny, but not distracting and they don't disrupt the pace of the show. I can go on and on about how skilfully they are executed, but this post would get really long. Speaking of subplot, I wonder what the deal is with the waitress at Le Passage? She's normally not happy to see Kuwano, but she smiled at him in this Ep. She probably put too much seasoning on his food on purpose and was flattered that he ate it anyway.

I don't remember ever getting this enthusiastic about a show. I had been lurking around here for a while, but never felt compelled to register and comment until I started watching this. The humor is subtle and sophisticated. It also offers a sly and witty observation of human failings and weaknesses while remaining good natured. What makes the characters so real and likable to me is that they are presented warts and all in a non-judgmental fashion. The characters exhibit vanity, pettiness, impulsiveness, dishonesty, envy, pride etc., but not more than we ourselves are guilty of from time to time. And we can't help but root for them because they share with us the same ordinary aspirations for happiness, security and meaningful and lasting relationships. I'm going to miss all these people when the show ends. It will feel like saying goodbye to friends after a long visit, except that you're not sure you'll ever see them again.

I can easily imagine replaying this show years from now and asking "I wonder how he or she is doing now?"

lunas

Post by lunas » Sep 8th, '06, 17:49

haha yeah I was craking up with that part too.... so funny man....If the title serve us like most j-drama...Kuwano sam will end up with hmmmmm in spoiler below.
incyphe wrote:
Yay, Kuwano finally takes the spoon from the convenient store! :cheers:

But seriously, after watching ep 10, I feel really bad for Sawazaki san. And is it me, or does she look really good in this ep? lol

How funny was that part when Ken-chan got busted cheating on Michiru and she gets all pissed? lmao

myke

Post by myke » Sep 11th, '06, 14:01

That dog is really like Kuwano-san....

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Sep 12th, '06, 04:36

I love all of the sub-plots/running jokes in the series. Like the no spoon/point card. Also seem to buy 1 bottle of milk and what looks like 4 drink boxes of soymilk, which we never seem to see him drink. Anyone knows what he is buying that require a spoon? Notice before the firework episode, he buy less than 1,000 Yen. Since that episode he is also buying 1 can of beer. Guess the two clerks are dating each from the episode where both of them had bandage. Will he ever get a chance to enter the adult section at video store. Other I can think of, in the beginning he has to touch the bridge when he cross it even when one of his hand is holding an umbrella and the other is bandage. Most of the time he's wearing strip shirts.

airskape

Post by airskape » Sep 12th, '06, 08:19

lol the funniest part of ep 10 was definetely when michiru busted kuwano and ken-chan together hahah :lol

JC

Post by JC » Sep 12th, '06, 14:33

This is a great show. I can't remember why I downloaded it, but I did. And after watching episode 1, I got hooked and then downloaded the rest in in quick succession! :lol

All of the characters in this are likeable except Soari or whatever her name is. The chick just annoys me. :glare:

I do think this is a cool show and at this stage I'm not sure how it's going to end, which is pretty cool. Because Shinsuke (I like than name!) seems to be warming to people in general and not just one particular character. So it will be interested to see how it ends. Ideally, he'd end up with the Dr. woman - but you just don't know. It could well end with him continuing to live alone! Who knows!

I like the scenes with him in the video store and the girl in the mini mart. I love the episode where he just done told her straight: "I don't wanna spoon! I don't have a pointcard!" And I liked the scene where the girl said: "You don't want a spoon right? You don't have a pointcard do you?"

I like how the little things add up in this show and contribute to Shinsuke's development as a person. He begins to realise people know him better than he thinks and take note of him - which makes him do the same to others.

TG3

Post by TG3 » Sep 13th, '06, 23:14

Ep 11 was great, as usual. It took a more serious tone this time, which it probably should since the next episode is the last one, and we will have a resolution, one way or the other.

This episode you can really see how he's changed, though he still tries to hide it.
For example,he protects Michiru and is sad when Eiji gets hurt, he's even sad that the combini shop lady and the video guy aren't there as usual. In short, he really does need people, contrary to what he says. Heck, even Kaneda is an important part of his life! Look how happy he looks when he sees his site is updated!
I think the finale could really go either way. I thought this would be a cut and dry "charater A will wind up with character B by the end of the series," but I think anything can happen now.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Sep 14th, '06, 00:31

Kuwano is indeed changing, but I think Natsumi played a big role in opening him up to others. She volunteered him as a body guard. She snuck into his mansion to examine him. She convinced (blackmailed) him to take in Ken-chan. Etc. So, she appears to be the first and only individual who was not afraid to deliberately violate his personal boundaries in order to connect with him as a person. It's almost allegorical, the anal probe/arthroscopy she performed on him in episode 1.

It would be a travesty, in my mind, if he ended up with anybody other than Hayasaka-sensei. Well, ok there's some justice in Sawasaki + Kuwano too. But Michiru should just stick to her pug. Please not her.
Fortunately, that doesn't look like the back of Michiru's head in the preview.

Keeper of hells gate2

Post by Keeper of hells gate2 » Sep 14th, '06, 05:43

Well, the person he always goes and sees when he has a problem is Natsumi and she is in worse shape personally then Abe - via person relationships. If you think about it even though Natusmi can connect with others she really doesn't have anyone. Notice the long long scene once she hangs up her cell phone and how cold and dark the room is. Kuwano really isn't alone and has these mini adventures that he finds himself in all the time.

I can't see kuwano - san with anybody other then Natsumi. Although I would give huge probs for taking a risk on Kuwano - san winding up with the younger cute girl - not that I agree with it, but it sure would be unexpected and I like surprises. If that happened it would be like a gauranteed 2nd season or a special. I DON"T WANT TO SEE NO CONCLUSION!!! This series deserves a 2nd season which means it won't. Which series get a 2nd season or which one don't really confuse me when it comes to Japanese dramas.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Sep 14th, '06, 17:14

Keeper:

I agree with you that while Natsumi is longing for romance, Kuwano doesn't need it, so he is the more "complete" character. But, as Ken-chan and that supposed "girlfriend" showed us, once Kuwano bonds with somebody, he tends to enjoy and value the relationship, and can actually adjust to accomodate the other. The problem for the women in the show that like Kuwano is that they have to do the courting, because he sure as hell is not going to take the initiative.

That brings up an interesting question. This is a "harem" type show, and most of those don't work for me because I can't see any plausible reason why all the girls would fall for that one ordinary guy. But in this show, I'm totally sold that Sawasaki, Michiru and Natsumi would all want to hook up with Kuwano. Why do we find Kuwano so appealing despite the fact that he is socially inept and insensitive to other people's feelings?

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Sep 14th, '06, 23:20

joeboygo wrote: Why do we find Kuwano so appealing despite the fact that he is socially inept and insensitive to other people's feelings?
There are 3 dominant factors that give Kuwano the appeal to the women in the series as well as the audience. He's intelligent. He's comfortable with himself and his world. He loves and is good with what he's doing. What keeps the women in the series from running to him is his insensitivity, not the socially inept part. And that's what ep 11 was about. The two women saw part of his sensitive self and started to see another side of him.

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Sep 16th, '06, 02:10

joeboygo wrote: Why do we find Kuwano so appealing despite the fact that he is socially inept and insensitive to other people's feelings?
I don't think he's insensitive. Its more to do with his 'social ineptitude' and his tendency to speak his mind without concern with how other's would construe the meaning of his words. As we have seen, he is very aware of the people around him, its just that he as long as they don't cross into the boundaries of his world, they are of no consequence to him.

And the only way I'll be happy with an inconclusive ending is if they announce a 2nd season.

rdoll

Post by rdoll » Sep 17th, '06, 03:34

Just want you guys to know that I'm rooting for Michiru. But this show will most likely end with Kuwano x Hayasaka. But who cares, it has been a great show for this season. Can't wait for the finale episode.

sherekahn

Post by sherekahn » Sep 17th, '06, 04:41

Sorry if I missed this on the forum somewhere, but can anybody tell me if there is any info as to where that awesome floor lamp in Kuwano's apartment can be purchased?

I thought I saw something on the Q&A section of the site mentioning it was from America, but trying to read through the info reminded me that my Japanese is currently at about the same level as a 4 year old's (if I am lucky).

Thanks!

sherekahn

Post by sherekahn » Sep 17th, '06, 04:45

Sorry, I was obsessed and hammered it out. Seems it is a Frank Lloyd Wright design.

Actually found it in a minute once I knocked out the translation!!!!

http://www.nova68.com/Merchant2/merchan ... ode=S23082

Molokidan

Post by Molokidan » Sep 17th, '06, 05:02

I don't think Kuwano is insensitive at all...I think he's very sensitive. If anything, ep. 11 proves that.

Kuwano's #1 problem, IMO, is his immense "pride." Also that he gets embarrassed really easily. He doesn't like to let others know when he's happy. When people assume things about him he immediately says opposite because it makes him feel uncomfortable. (The girl in the store and the guy in the video store.)

koolaid

Post by koolaid » Sep 17th, '06, 08:14

Here is my take on this series. I think Kuwano's out look in life is to keep things simple, and one way to do that is to do everything in a routine. He is actually quite comfortable if things never changes. When the girl in the convienence store says that you do not want a spoon and you do not have a card, I think it throws him off, I do not think it has anything to do with pride. They really emphasize the small details in his life but it is always consistent. Notice that now visiting the doctor's office is a routine now.

So in episode 11 the question of why do you not want human relationships? was proposed to him. I think that the answer is that he can not control the situation. His bluntness helps him control the situation. Unfortunately for him the neighbour and the doctor adds new scenarios to his routine life, and basically we are watching him handle himself outside his comfort zone.

I think we can relate to him to some extent, since most of us have set routines, especially if you are now out of school.

In reality I only start watching this drama because I wanted to hear ELT's new song.

Kath-Lee

Post by Kath-Lee » Sep 17th, '06, 18:07

I wouldn't have minded Kuwano hooking up with Sawazaki, really. I think they would actually make a neat couple thinking of the way they complement another. Also I think it was kind of cute when she looked at him trying to trick the vending machine with that old, wrinkled-up bill of his. She got my credits big time for being able to see behind his "cool acts" at last. Nonetheless I don't think anyone would be a better match for him than Natsumi of course. She's adorable. I love her cool way of responding to his silly questions each time he shows up at her work place. But then again I guess it wasn't all too hard to predict from the first episode when he cried after she wished him a happy birthday that there's something coming up between the two of them.
Him dating that younger girl would be plain GROSS if you ask me. Not only is she way too young she also has something to herself that I don't really care much for. Not to mention that she's like the complete oposite of him. Imagine them moving in! Iron Maiden posters between Kuwano's designer furniture? Nah, either they would break up right away or he would die of a heart attack before having the chance to throw her out. :P
Anyways, I can't wait to watch the last episode. Though I'm sad that this also means there won't be KdO anymore. :(

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Sep 17th, '06, 22:23

I wouldn't mind if Kuwano ends up by himself. I like how he's so comfortable with himself and always has things that he himself enjoys doing. I forgot what the ep number was but there was a scene at the end of the ep when he was talking to the fish in the bowl as to why having a companion wouldn't be good. It was something along the line of 'less space, less food, dirtier water' or something like that. :mrgreen:

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Sep 17th, '06, 23:35

For those who haven't noticed yet, the webpage where Kuwano saw his floral-themed design posted and mocked is real. Check it out at this url: http://blog.kentikukun-tubuyaki.com/

Sin 31

Post by Sin 31 » Sep 18th, '06, 06:07

is there a kaneda webpage too? :mrgreen:

Kath-Lee

Post by Kath-Lee » Sep 18th, '06, 10:22

I'm not too sure wheather he really is comfortable by himself. To me he simply appears to be a little psycho, not being able to express his true feelings at all. Thus he always thinks of something he can do without depending on others. If he really didn't need anyone he wouldn't have been so lonely during his birthday or tanabata. Remember, he invited Natsumi to watch the fireworks with him. :-) Add, they said that only one who can love other persons will be nice to a pet... or something like that. Hence him eventually being in good terms with Ken-chan somewhat symbolizes he's finally starting to open up himself a bit.
As for the webpage: Dangit, I ALWAYS try out such things as testing if urls shown in drama really exist. Only this time I was too lazy. :lol It's really funny though. They have a whole bunch of promotion and merchandise (thinking of the tissue box or that stuffed animal that the little girl drops at the funeral in episode 10 - both looked like Ken-chan!). It somewhat reminds me of anime shows like Hana yori Dango or Kodomo no Omocha that were both sponsored by toys 'r us I think. Lol.

Ok there guys, only one more day to go until the final ep. Are you ready? 8) Frankly, I don't know if I am. I'd really hate an open ending. For those who have watched Kurosagi:
I'm kind of afraid KdO will end in a similar way. I'd really hate that. (Though it was ok for Kurosagi I guess.)

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Sep 18th, '06, 13:25

I'm trying not to think of what will happen in the final ep. The writer has done an excellent job and I think the ending will be decided by the characters. The one sign that may point to an open ending is that there is no consolation prize for Michiru.

I think Kuwano wouldn't mind an open ending. Its just that the women of the series can't seem to survive without him. :)

siangsaolong

Post by siangsaolong » Sep 18th, '06, 13:30

In kurosagi's case it's not that open
but in kekkon dekinai otoko is in different situation
I think this drama need a close ending
because he must choose a woman or live alone forever

lzydata

Kaneda's homepage

Post by lzydata » Sep 18th, '06, 13:46

Sin 31 wrote:is there a kaneda webpage too? :mrgreen:
Yes, it's part of the official website :-)

http://www.ktv.co.jp/shinsuke/kaneda/index.html

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Sep 18th, '06, 13:53

I think he already made the decision from episode one...haha. Realisticly, I think it's just gonna end up like it started...really no difference, just entertainment on the view of a guy who loves being alone. They might want to take a korean drama path and do something dramatic, but I have a hard time believing so. This guy lived all his life a certain way and he's always a good guy. I'm sure many girls threw themselves towards him, and he never cared...I think that's gonna be the case here.
siangsaolong wrote:In kurosagi's case it's not that open
but in kekkon dekinai otoko is in different situation
I think this drama need a close ending
because he must choose a woman or live alone forever

Kath-Lee

Post by Kath-Lee » Sep 18th, '06, 14:15

Again, I don't think he wants to be alone he just isn't good with other people. The title of the drama is "Kekkon dekinai otoko" ("The man who cannot marry") after all. I'm aware that in the Japanese language "dekinai" also means to not be fond of something. For example when you say that you don't like eating chocolate you can use "dekinai" as well. Despite of that I think in the case of the title it's more like a pun because if they strictly meant he doesn't like to get married they could have phrased it a little clearer. Just my two cents.

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Sep 18th, '06, 15:07

It's the day before the last episode, and the suspense is killing me. The big question of course is who Kuwano will pursue a relationship with, if at all, but I'm quietly hoping a few other loose ends get tied up, like the mysterious connection between the combini cashier and the video rental guy. It would also be cute if there is a scene with Sawazaki and Kaneda together.

Partly to work off the energy from this anticipation, I have translated the synopsis that's on the official website now. :mrgreen: It probably covers the first twenty minutes or so.
While eating his fill of hand-made sushi, Kuwano is interrupted by a newspaper salesman. Seeing through the intercom Michiru standing behind, Kuwano tells the salesman she hasn't subscribed. A few minutes later, Michiru says to Kuwano, "I may be in love with you", then rushes back to her house. She reports this to Natsumi: "I said it."

Meanwhile, the pressure of having to appear on TV [for something or another] gives Kuwano a stomachache, and he goes to Nakagawa Hospital. Natsumi is stunned to hear that Kuwano has misunderstood Michiru's confession, but in her heart she's relieved. Even though he complains about what a bother the TV appearance is, Shinsuke carefully chooses the right shirt to wear.

At the Nakagawa home, the family has gathered to watch Shinsuke's appearance, but his mother suddenly collapses. Shinsuke is relieved to hear that it was nothing serious, but is deeply moved to realise her true concern about him that she normally conceals with her pet sayings.

As her uncle is returning to Japan, Michiru prepares to move out of her apartment she's been renting from him. She plans to have everyone gather at her place for one last time, but once Eiji and the others find out Michiru's feelings towards Kuwano, they conspire not to show up so that the two of them are left alone. However, Michiru invites Natsumi herself, so in the end the three of them are drinking at her place. What do you expect to happen between the three of them?... And what will Shinsuke's answer be?...
Last edited by lzydata on Sep 18th, '06, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Sep 18th, '06, 16:00

I don't know if this is good or bad news for those of you who want to see a definite resolution to the story. According to the KTV website, both Nurse Aoi and Unfair have upcoming specials. This is significant because Kekkon is just clobbering those series ratings-wise. Episodes 9, 10 and 11 of Kekkon garnered audience shares of 18.0%, 17.6% and 19.2% respectively. See http://doramania.gozaru.jp/shichoritsu.htm. These are numbers to which N's Aoi and Unfair did not even get close throughout their broadcast runs. This season, Kekkon is Fuji Terebi's highest rated trendy dorama, besting by a wide margin the much more heavily hyped Suppli (Sapuri), even though Suppli airs on the key Monday night slot (only My Boss My Hero is doing better, but it's on another network). Anyway, if the lesser hits did well enough to earn specials, wouldn't a relative ratings monster like Kekkon deserve one too? If so, we may have to wait for the special to see who or what Kuwano hooks up with permanently.

In my opinion, the story sets up endless possibilites for a special. Imagine the hi-jinx associated with planning the grand wedding! Hayasaka's father could do an encore, along with Kuwano's future mother-in-law (shudder). Sawasaki may end up with Kaneda yet. Akiramike is right, this thing is a gold mine, and they should milk it for all it's worth.

I'm happy the discussion is livening up. Only two days left before the finale, so anybody who has yet to chime in with their predictions better do so before then. My personal bet is: Hayasaka and Kuwano at least get started, and all other loose ends get tied up in the special, or the second season.

beer

Post by beer » Sep 18th, '06, 18:52

Well, this drama totally blows me away and I can see why its ratings are as good as they are. Part of it probably is that the guy has a lot in common with my best friend who unlike me is still single. :)

This is the 16th (yeah, I counted) drama with Abe Hiroshi that I'm watching and I'm once again utterly enjoying his performance.

The only thing (sorta) that bothers me is how some things start from nowhere at all. Kuwano appears to be an old customer at the video store, but in the local shop something is weird. As far as I can remember he first visits it in ep02 when everything's rather ordinary, but then suddenly starts the spoon/points card issue himself in thevery beggining of ep03. WTF? And that's where this particular sketch begins. :S In a quite similar manner it looks as if the first time he goes to a doctor is in an ambulance, and then.... suddenly he starts visiting the same doctor (who was probably just in night shift) on almost daily basis. Well, if he was really that sick, I don't think he could have lived to see this drama start to begin with. There's something fundamentally wrong with a person whose first encounter with the medical system involves a rectal examination and who apparently keeps coming back for more (admittedly after being forced to make the second visit). As it is, his gait appears to get worse as the series goes on, suggesting something was left unfixed. :P

Anyways, I'm enjoing the stuff throughly (as I probably have mentioned), and the end of ep11 was a sweet cliffhanger that's got me checking for keywords like 'kekkon dekinai' more often that I'd like. :)

And ugh, Kuwano will get the doctor (and the neighbor girl will get Kaneda or be left with Ken-chan). While for most (male) viewers the girl will get blood pumping faster (unless the doctor uses an ER machine built for the purpose) we know that while the girl is adorable, her mind is light as a feather, and she will hardly notice the passage of another boyfriend candidate.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Sep 18th, '06, 20:32

beer wrote:The only thing (sorta) that bothers me is how some things start from nowhere at all. Kuwano appears to be an old customer at the video store, but in the local shop something is weird. As far as I can remember he first visits it in ep02 when everything's rather ordinary, but then suddenly starts the spoon/points card issue himself in thevery beggining of ep03. WTF? And that's where this particular sketch begins. :S
Yah, same thing bothers me, it suggests that the character has no "history", everything about him conveniently begins with the drama
beer wrote:In a quite similar manner it looks as if the first time he goes to a doctor is in an ambulance, and then.... suddenly he starts visiting the same doctor (who was probably just in night shift) on almost daily basis. Well, if he was really that sick, I don't think he could have lived to see this drama start to begin with. There's something fundamentally wrong with a person whose first encounter with the medical system involves a rectal examination and who apparently keeps coming back for more (admittedly after being forced to make the second visit). As it is, his gait appears to get worse as the series goes on, suggesting something was left unfixed. :P
He's begging for another "exam" ;)

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Sep 18th, '06, 22:06

Yah, same thing bothers me, it suggests that the character has no "history", everything about him conveniently begins with the drama
LOL, guys. You'll enjoy the drama a lot more if you fill in that blank yourselves. Suspend your disbelief and join the fun.
As it is, his gait appears to get worse as the series goes on, suggesting something was left unfixed.
That's actually a clever device the actor uses to "ugly himself up" and maintain his affinity with the everyman. That way, ordinary stiffs like you and me can still vicariously enjoy the harem fantasy experienced by his character. If he suddenly stood ramrod straight and lost his old geezer shuffle, you'll suddenly notice that not only is Kuwano freakin tall, he looks like...the matinee idol Abe Hiroshi! Well, then he can make a total ass of himself all he wants, right, cuz he'll still get all the girls. But what fun is that?

And Izydata, thank you for translating the teaser. Like there wasn't enough suspense already. NOW I CAN'T CONCENTRATE ON WORK! So again, thank you sir, thank you very much.

Hideaki_Ito

Post by Hideaki_Ito » Sep 18th, '06, 22:46

I don't feel any suspense for the final ep. There are only two possibilities. He would end up by himself or he ends up with the doctor. Sure there are two other females but the drama is obviously inclined toward the doctor.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Sep 18th, '06, 22:56

It's like the suspense in a greek tragedy. When you watched the Titanic you (viewer) knew it was going to sink in the end, but the characters didn't. Same here. We know it's going to be her, but she doesn't, and he doesn't either.

Then again, we could be wrong, and frankly that's gonna piss me off big time.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Sep 19th, '06, 02:27

joeboygo wrote:
LOL, guys. You'll enjoy the drama a lot more if you fill in that blank yourselves. Suspend your disbelief and join the fun.
Problem is that there are no blanks to fill, Abe's character begins with the story. It would have been more interesting if there was more sense of history in the character. It would help the audience to suspend disbelief
joeboygo wrote:It's like the suspense in a greek tragedy. When you watched the Titanic you (viewer) knew it was going to sink in the end, but the characters didn't. Same here. We know it's going to be her, but she doesn't, and he doesn't either.
Eh? Titanic was set in Greek times?! You learn something new everyday! j/k

someasianguy

Post by someasianguy » Sep 19th, '06, 03:01

i also agree that this drama is one where the audience needs to suspend their disbelief. Kuwano to me was this inept guy who cannot have a human relationship with anybody in the first few episodes, but i have noticed all the beauty of the plot and how Kaneda and Nakagawa-sensei are the complete ends of the spectrum and kuwano is dead centre. i do hope that kuwano does start up a relationship with Hayasaka-sensei, but i do hope that this could spin off into a special, second series or even better yet second season. because the story cannot just end with a "final resolution." there must be more!

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Sep 19th, '06, 16:48

Actually, auroragb and beer make a very good point that is well taken. But as someasianguy said, we'll just have to do whatever is necessary for us to buy into the show's premise, cuz it's more fun that way. Maybe aliens took over the bodies of those cashiers? Anyway, somebody mentioned this earlier after seeing the matching bandaids, but those two are seeing each other, it seems.