ramen, noodles....stuff

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
bigfrog

ramen, noodles....stuff

Post by bigfrog » Aug 1st, '06, 04:00

I'm embarrassed to ask this

Lately I've been noticing alot of different kinds of instant noodles in the movies I've been watching, and I'm wondering if anyone knows or can recommend a place to order some of this stuff online?

The stores around here offer nothing and I've got a craving. Any help would be appreciated. Thank ya

:whistling:

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Aug 1st, '06, 04:07

wow, that's a bummer.......I didn't know they didn't have Ramen in some parts of Pennsylvania.

Have you tried the Asian markets there?

but here are two sites that sell Ramen (the second one is by the case, too :whistling - just run a search for "ramen")
Asian Food Grocer
Buy the Case

"Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns... yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope..." ~ Ward Sexton

groink

Post by groink » Aug 1st, '06, 04:13

bigfrog,

PM me your mailing address. I'll send you several different samples. No charge! I usually get my instant ramen and other goods at Daiei in Pearl City (Hawaii).

--- groink

bigfrog

Post by bigfrog » Aug 1st, '06, 04:17

Thanks for that :)

I live where it's still possible to see people on horse and buggy and have no idea where the closest asian grocer would be.

Although I'd have to say I'm actually willing to drive at this point.....just for noodles :goggle:

Wow....that's a nice selection.
Any brands come recommended?
Thanks for the help :thumright:

groink

Post by groink » Aug 1st, '06, 20:55

The goods are in the mail. It's a combination of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean noodle soup and yakisoba products. When you start evaluating each item, let us know what you think of it. Take a picture and post it if you can. For just about all of the items, they're easy to figure out how to prepare them. I actually thought about creating a web site reviewing these instant thing-a-ma-bobbies. I also threw in a box of Pocky sticks... Eat these and you're REALLY gung-ho Asian (reminds me of Onegai Teacher :lol ) And, I threw in a bottle of ramune. It's not that difficult to open.

[img]http://www.noapologiespress.com/present ... ramune.gif[/img]

--- groink

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Aug 1st, '06, 21:02

thats funny groink. i have massive trouble with that. apparently i am one of the spazzes lol

hey, anyone know what happened to the NY thread i started. its gone. did i violate a rule?

groink

Post by groink » Aug 1st, '06, 21:05

nikochanr3 wrote:thats funny groink. i have massive trouble with that. apparently i am one of the spazzes lol

hey, anyone know what happened to the NY thread i started. its gone. did i violate a rule?
I think jholic merged it into the International Communities forum.

bigfrog

Post by bigfrog » Aug 1st, '06, 21:08

groink wrote:The goods are in the mail. It's a combination of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean noodle soup and yakisoba products. When you start evaluating each item, let us know what you think of it. Take a picture and post it if you can. For just about all of the items, they're easy to figure out how to prepare them. I actually thought about creating a web site reviewing these instant thing-a-ma-bobbies. I also threw in a box of Pocky sticks... Eat these and you're REALLY gung-ho Asian (reminds me of Onegai Teacher :lol ) And, I threw in a bottle of ramune. It's not that difficult to open.

--- groink

Thank you so much!! I cant wait!!

Pennsylvania is the junk food capital of the united states....anything unhealthy you'd like in return?? :D
Most people I know outside of this state have never had half the junk we have here....shoo-fly pie, martins kettle cooked chips (lots of lard), Snyders of Hanover pretzels, all kinds of chocolate and candy.....if you can think of it, we have it.
Of course....I guess we have healthy stuff too.
Anyway, if there is anything you'd like I'd be more than happy to send it to ya. Just let me know.

Thanks again!!
:cheers:

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Aug 1st, '06, 21:13

I had a taste of those carbonated soda with the marble that you push down years ago, but it wasn't so bad. It's an acquired taste......something like sparkling/seltzer water. :roll

and yes, take pictures of the ramen that groink sent you........reviews would be nice, too~ :D I guess you got yourself a yakisoba bonus as well. :thumleft:

"Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns... yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope..." ~ Ward Sexton

xl Linh lx

Post by xl Linh lx » Aug 1st, '06, 21:17

i am a big fan of ramen/noodles. that's why i clickd on this thread they are yummy but probably not the healthiest thing to eat.

bigfrog you're right, i live in CA and i haven't heard of half of the junkfood you mentioned. xp

Fieryshadow

Post by Fieryshadow » Aug 1st, '06, 21:20

woah Ramune? lol wow how does that taste like? :D

ellesia

Post by ellesia » Aug 1st, '06, 21:24

Why don't you try www.ramencity.com? You can enjoy your ramen while watching their rented Korean drama. :)

groink

Post by groink » Aug 1st, '06, 21:28

Fieryshadow wrote:woah Ramune? lol wow how does that taste like? :D
Few ways to think of it:

1. Take a can of Sprite or 7-Up. Pour it into a glass, and then add four ounces of water.

2. Take a bottle of carbonated water, and add a few tablespoons of powered sugar.

It's not awful tasting by any means. I like it! My only beef with it is that there's not enough fluid in this bottle. Normally cans of soda are about 12 fluid ounces. But this bottle is a little over 6 fluid ounces - enough for just two or three gulps. I think a can of Red Bull has just as much content as ramune, but at least the flavor of Red Bull forces you to drink it slowly.

--- groink

bigfrog

Post by bigfrog » Aug 1st, '06, 21:48

Yes, I will post pictures and review each item. It's the least I can do :)

Besides, I'll actually have an excuse to use my digital camera. Funny... I'm in school for photography......and I despise digital pictures. lol. But this serves a good purpose so I can set my feelings aside :)

Childhoodless

Post by Childhoodless » Aug 1st, '06, 22:09

Shipping carbonated beverages via mail/FedEx/UPS? Is that the wisest thing to do?

A friend of mine tried shipping a bottle of ramune from California to Indiana. The girl at the other end nearly broke her arm trying to open the bottle because it was so heavily pressurized.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Aug 1st, '06, 22:14

Childhoodless wrote:Shipping carbonated beverages via mail/FedEx/UPS? Is that the wisest thing to do?

A friend of mine tried shipping a bottle of ramune from California to Indiana. The girl at the other end nearly broke her arm trying to open the bottle because it was so heavily pressurized.
open the bottle? but I thought Ramune was the beverage with the marble you could push down. :blink

Fieryshadow

Post by Fieryshadow » Aug 1st, '06, 22:24

woah i want Ramune now, i just read that picture groink put up and wow i wanna try opening it now :D if i can ever find it ill buy two, one as a souvenir xD

groink

Post by groink » Aug 1st, '06, 22:27

I'm not sure exactly when they changed the ramune packaging, but it must have been very recent... Just a few years ago, you had to somehow push the marble down into the bottle. Just doing this with your hands is nearly IMPOSSIBLE. You had to use car keys, or what I used to use was a golf tee and the sole of my shoe. Nowadays, the ramune bottle comes with a plastic tab. Unwrap the tip of the bottle, place the plastic tab on top of the marble, and then on a flat surface push down hard. The marble will pop into the bottle, and then sit in a little compartment near the spout.

What I tried to do was clean a bottle out with water before sending it to the recyling company to get back my 5-cents. What's funny about this is that it's HARD to pour water out of this thing. When you turn the bottle upside down, the marble moves back into the spout, blocking the contents from escaping. Same thing when you drink ramune, you have to be careful not for the marble to block the spout as you drink it.

As for shipping this, I'm not worried. I used to have Jones Soda shipped to me from the mainland via air. But unlike other containers, this ramune bottle actually opens from the inside, while other bottles and cans open from the outside. If the bottle's contents became pressurized, it would expand, pushing against the marble even more. It is impossible for the marble to push through the cap because the marble is much larger than the spout. I tell ya, whoever designed this bottle is a mere genius in my book.

--- groink

groink

Post by groink » Aug 1st, '06, 23:10

Okay, back to the ramen thing...

Here's a link to Japanese dramas... My favorite is a kitchen sink drama Wataru seken wa Oni Bakari (TBS). In short, there are two restaurants in this drama: Okakura and Koraku. Koraku is a Chinese ramen/gyoza/fried rice restaurant. Well, walking around San Diego one day, I came across a line of instant ramen and soba products bearing the Koraku clan's face and drama title.

[img]http://fox.zero.ad.jp/yellowsub/Men331.jpg[/img]

I bought and tried every one of their products. And they're great!!!!! Easy to make. Even the won tun mein was a good item. I can't find this line in Hawaii, but you can find it in many of the Asian food stores in Southern California. Here's a link:

http://fox.zero.ad.jp/yellowsub/mentop.htm

In that same list, former sumo ozeki KONISHIKI also has his own line of yakisoba. The package really cracks me up - featuring a photo of Diamond Head in the background. I think he can eat about 20 of these in one sitting. I've never tried this one before, nor have I seen it in Hawaii (considering KONISHIKI is from Hawaii. :scratch: )

--- groink

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Aug 1st, '06, 23:53

groink wrote:
In that same list, former sumo ozeki KONISHIKI also has his own line of yakisoba. The package really cracks me up - featuring a photo of Diamond Head in the background. I think he can eat about 20 of these in one sitting. I've never tried this one before, nor have I seen it in Hawaii (considering KONISHIKI is from Hawaii. :scratch: )

--- groink
:offtopic: I was wondering where I heard of Konishiki, but then it hit me who appeared as a cameo in episode 2 of Sapuri.

ah, so then Konishiki was originally from Hawaii? :-)

Midnight
Canada

Post by Midnight » Aug 2nd, '06, 23:54

All this talk about food has given me a craving for ramen and ramune. That ramune bottle sounds very interesting, too bad the beverage itself doesn't sound very appetizing.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Aug 3rd, '06, 15:16

Midnight wrote:All this talk about food has given me a craving for ramen and ramune. That ramune bottle sounds very interesting, too bad the beverage itself doesn't sound very appetizing.
Pretty much nailed it. It's like most japanese soda brands, they sure dig the carbonation. It's alright, depends on the flavor.

Me, im a Calpis man myself.

makoReactor

Post by makoReactor » Aug 4th, '06, 12:50

In you live near Philadelphia there are plenty of places. There is the Hong Kong supermarket where you can get aisles full of instant Ramen, Chinese noodles, and even Vietnamese Pho (which is my favorite). Chinatown Philadelphia is a good place to shop/eat too.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Aug 4th, '06, 17:10

:-)hmmm, reading about ramen and pho make me wants to eat :lol....

mt877

Post by mt877 » Aug 6th, '06, 12:49

nikochanr3 wrote:
Midnight wrote:All this talk about food has given me a craving for ramen and ramune. That ramune bottle sounds very interesting, too bad the beverage itself doesn't sound very appetizing.
Pretty much nailed it. It's like most japanese soda brands, they sure dig the carbonation. It's alright, depends on the flavor.

Me, im a Calpis man myself.
I tried and finally succeeded getting the marble out of a couple of ramune bottles after, 1) broke the neck off one bottle,
2) bent a too small screwdriver trying to pry the plastic cap off... arghhh.

Do you like Calpis concentrate or premix? I usually get the premix. I tried the concentrated, but I can
never seem to mix it right to taste the same as the premix.

greyhorse
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by greyhorse » Aug 6th, '06, 14:08

Totally OT, but that ramune bottle got me thinking about Wilkinson's ginger ale, which as far as I know is now only available in Japan. It's made in Japan and used to be sold in as many as 23 countries, but searching through the internet, I've failed to find it anywhere else now. Has anyone here tasted this stuff? The taste of ginger in this drink is amazingly strong, and yet somehow incredibly tasty. After drinking this, any other ginger ale pales in comparison.

I drank it just once on a trip in Japan with my Dad over a decade ago, and I've been searching for it ever since, looking in a bunch of places in Japan and Canada without any luck. The closest I thought I got was a Wilkinson factory in BC, but no one I talked to in BC had any idea what I was talking about. 7 years later I came across this thread, and remembered the drink again, promting me to do a quick google search about an hour ago. Ah, so it was a Japanese product...

Man, I SO want one of these now.

http://homepage1.nifty.com/merino/wilkinson/

groink

Post by groink » Aug 6th, '06, 20:51

Checking my tracking information... bigfrog received the box this past Friday. Hopefully everything arrived in one piece! I can't wait to read the feedback.

--- groink

bigfrog

Post by bigfrog » Aug 7th, '06, 00:08

Holy crap Groink!!
I was away for a couple days and didnt expect your package to get here that fast! This is so awesome.
Everything is in one piece and I just put the Ramune in the fridge. That might be the first review, because looking at all this stuff I have no idea how quickly I can eat it all! lol

And it all looks so damn tasty!!

Should I review em one at a time or devour it all and post one big review?? Some of this stuff is definately gonna need pictures because I cant read a few of them...but even those look good too!!
Groink, is anything in red packaging spicy or just the ones labeled spicy?

Anyway, reviews coming soon!!

Oh, and Groink...are you allergic to any foods? I dont wanna send you something you cant eat :)

Thanks again! :cheers:

groink

Post by groink » Aug 7th, '06, 00:20

bigfrog wrote:Should I review em one at a time or devour it all and post one big review?? Some of this stuff is definately gonna need pictures because I cant read a few of them...but even those look good too!!
Groink, is anything in red packaging spicy or just the ones labeled spicy?
I would review each package, one per post:
- Take a photo of the package or top lid
- Describe the flavor, texture, and any other tidbits you experienced

As for the spicy stuff... Generally the package will say spicy in English, otherwise it'll show something to the degree of spicy, such as flames. Just having the package being red doesn't mean anything seeing red is a popular and attractive color among Asians.

If you have questions about the preparation of any one of the times, see if you can take a photo of the instructions and post it here. Someone here can intepret the instructions. Better than taking a wild guess.
Oh, and Groink...are you allergic to any foods? I dont wanna send you something you cant eat :)
No, I'm not allergic of anything. Just don't ship anything that is perishable, such as fruits/vegetables. Hawaii has strict laws on this sort of thing. If someone was in Japan, they couldn't ship the stuff I sent you to Hawaii.

--- groink

bigfrog

Pocky sticks

Post by bigfrog » Aug 7th, '06, 23:12

1st, my digital camera is crap....so dont hold it against me....please :)

[img]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l104/ ... ocky_1.jpg[/img]
Glico Pocky - Chocolate covered biscuit sticks

Comes in a red box with 2 individually wrapped servings of pocky sticks. Each wrapped serving contains about 22 pocky sticks. These things are good!! The sticks look like bamboo and the chocolate is more dark than it is milk. Originally I thought the sticks would be like graham crackers, but they are more like a tea biscuit. The nice thing about the pocky is that the ends of each stick dont have any chocolate so it's easy to keep your hands from getting messy. They remind me of punk sticks to keep away bugs...or even incense sticks. I liked them alot :)

bigfrog

Kimchi Noodles

Post by bigfrog » Aug 7th, '06, 23:17

[img]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l104/ ... imchi4.jpg[/img]
Nong Shim Big Bowl Noodle - Kimchi Flavor

Very easy prep. Just add boiling water and 2 soup base packets. One of them is a kimchi brick...it looks like a big red crouton.
This is Quite tasty...a nice full flavor at first followed by a growing spicy aftertaste. Burns the lips, but tastes very good. I'd say it was the taste of garlic followed by pepper...very interesting.
Chives, mushrooms, seaweed, red pepper, and noodles along with the kimchi soup base. Not alot of different ingrediants, but they give you alot of them...especially the chives which I really liked. It goes together very well. I dont like spicy food, but I will definately try this again.
[img]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l104/ ... imchi3.jpg[/img]
I'd have a picture of the steaming hot noodles.....but I was in such a hurry to eat it I couldnt wait for my camera to charge. sorry!

More to come....when I get hungry again anyway :D

NinaS

Post by NinaS » Aug 7th, '06, 23:35

RAMUNE! i miss that stuff its so sugary--is that even a word?

me and my friends used to drink that stuff. But, yeah it isn't that great, but fun! I remember i was sitting on the couch popped it open and it fizzed everywhere. I don't like it how it doesn't really have a bottle cap to clothes it, so you kind of have to drink it right away. And ohh i love pocky! comes in so many different flavours. White chocolate is pretty good...and so much cheaper in Japan though.

bigfrog

Post by bigfrog » Aug 7th, '06, 23:52

White chocolate pocky??? wow....I must have really been living under a rock for far too long. That sounds even better than the chocolate pocky!! I've got to have them now too :)

Athaclena42
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Athaclena42 » Aug 11th, '06, 02:13

I came across this topic a few days ago and it occurred to me to ask if anyone has ever eaten these noodles: I ordered them from koamart.com because, I, too come from the horse and buggy part of Pennsylvania where we eat scrapple and hot bacon dressing and think it's delicious (actually, I've never had hot bacon dressing, but I've seen it). Anyway, they're basically "fresh" Korean spicy udon. I absolutely love them because they're filling, the broth is good, and they make my nose run (I like spicy)! Anyway, if anyone has heard of these or seen them in an actual store, let me know. I don't mind paying the shipping for these (even though it's extraordinary), but I'm afraid that koamart will stop stocking them and I'll never be able to find them again. I think these come in several flavors, but I've only tried the spicy variety.

[img]http://www.geocities.com/athaclena42/koreanudon.gif[/img]

groink

Post by groink » Aug 11th, '06, 05:51

Those Korean noodles are really good! For my personal taste, I like spicy!!!!!!!!!!!! Great descriptions, and great job so far.

One thing about the Pocky sticks... When I brought them home, I had to keep them in the refrigerator until shipping. It is DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN hot in Hawaii!!!! My dish of dark chocolate melted just sitting on the counter. I didn't want the Pocky sticks to stick together and become one HUGE stick! :crazy:

As for white chocolate... I've always disliked white chocolate. I prefer my chocolate to be somewhat bitter, which is why I only eat dark chocolate. I normally eat Dove, or Meiji if I ever find them at the store. White chocolate to me is just too sweet, and it doesn't really taste like chocolate.

--- groink

x0xTEELEEx0x

Post by x0xTEELEEx0x » Aug 11th, '06, 23:08

Mmmm.... yum yum. Ramen is the best when you're really hungry & have no food in the fridge. I always have a box full of different kinds. I used to live in Philly, too bad you don't stay around there cause there's many for the picking. Pocky is awesome! I just tried out green tea flavor, they have a ton of different kinds.

You might want to try out http://www.jlist.com
They have food, candy, figures, unique products to Japan & so on. The owner lives in Japan so you can find some really different things there.

Hope this helps out a lil!

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Aug 12th, '06, 01:21

bigfrog wrote:White chocolate pocky??? wow....I must have really been living under a rock for far too long. That sounds even better than the chocolate pocky!! I've got to have them now too :)
Not just white pockey but there are dozens of flavours...I had the green tea pockey, green tea yogurt pockey, the dark and milk chocolate almond crush pockey, the berry yogurt pockey, strawberry pockey, banana flavoured pockey, even pokey with filling inside as well...they are all yummy....even the banana flavoured one and I hate banana. Once I was at a wedding reception and the bride and groom actually had giant pockey sticks as part of their dessert table - everyone ran to get one! Each was almost half a metre long...

I'm a snack food junkie so you have to try out Shrimp chips either a Japanese or Korean brand - it doesn't make much of a difference. They are really delicious once you get past the salty shrimpy flavour...lol...my favourite kind of chips...I bought an extra large sized bag before and ate it in less than a week.

Groink: white chocolate doesn't taste like chocolate because it isn't made from cocoa...so it really isn't true chocolate...I love dark chocolate and it has less calories. ^__^

nijokeem

Post by nijokeem » Aug 14th, '06, 04:39

hahah Ramune.
Fun to open, though I don't like the taste.
hahaha I don't really like carbonated water tasting things... no matter how sweet.
Had fun with the bottle though.
When I had my first one the guy selling it had to do sooo many demonstrations on how to open it :]]
hahah.
I'm an old fasioned "cola" girl :]] <3

I also love Ramen, live off the stuff.
Phoenix is a big city.
Ramen is cheap, so everyone eats it... well not everyone, but all my friends...
not as much as me but they eat it.
hahah.
I'm kinda a ramen dependent person, we eat it because it cost too much to cook anything else [energy wise]

groink

Post by groink » Aug 14th, '06, 06:54

Just don't eat too much ramen. I'm not sure about authentic Japanese ramen, but these instant ramen/noodle soups are FULL of sodium. That's probably what makes them taste so good.

--- groink

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Aug 14th, '06, 14:15

groink wrote:Just don't eat too much ramen. I'm not sure about authentic Japanese ramen, but these instant ramen/noodle soups are FULL of sodium. That's probably what makes them taste so good.

--- groink
well, instant has a lot of salt to preserve it, so real ramen is better but still not so healthy, super oily, super fatty, especially if you have meat in it.

asianblondgirl

Post by asianblondgirl » Aug 15th, '06, 21:03

yummmm readng this thred made me SO hungry..i think ill go eat some ramen lol

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Aug 16th, '06, 17:52

hmm, ramen, ramen, ramen....makes me hungry for ramen....don't have ramen at the moment....got to go buy some of those spicy one :lol....

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Aug 16th, '06, 18:17

i live in ny and we have crappy ramen. its not crappy, its just not up to snuff to be honest. i get my noodle fix at big wong with chinese noodles, but i just really really need to find a good ramen place. sigh....

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Aug 17th, '06, 05:13

I'll have to check for those brands at 99 Ranch Market next time I go. The kimchi flavor noodle bowl sounds good.

Ayumishei

Post by Ayumishei » Aug 20th, '06, 22:41

we don't have much choices of ramen noodles here :(

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Aug 21st, '06, 15:30

hmm, got to have some of those kimchee flavor ramen soon :lol....

liannejoy

Post by liannejoy » Oct 23rd, '06, 18:31

I just finished off an entire box of strawberry Pocky!! :D The thing is, well, it wasnt even mine!!! :lol :lol I loved that they were so thin and that if you looked closely you could see dark spots on the actual stick... :lol im bein obsessive again! :P

Now, im going to have to hunt up those choco flavored Pocky! :D Just to compare..... :P

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Oct 23rd, '06, 18:39

Ayumishei wrote:we don't have much choices of ramen noodles here :(
where do you live? They have lots of choices in all stores from what I heard.

Here they have a really cheap noodle place that gives all flavors of noodles for $1 (big bowl) and $1 for anything extra you want to put in (scallions are free). I always get a good bowl for $3, which is a meal in itself.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 23rd, '06, 18:50

hmm yum, liannejoy, your post makes me want to eat some of those poky sticks now :lol....I guess I just have to go to the oriental store for some of those poky sticks....haven't have any for a couple of yrs., but now I'm actually craving for some :lol

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Oct 23rd, '06, 18:57

mimmi wrote:hmm yum, liannejoy, your post makes me want to eat some of those poky sticks now :lol....I guess I just have to go to the oriental store for some of those poky sticks....haven't have any for a couple of yrs., but now I'm actually craving for some :lol
What is a pocky stick?

liannejoy

Post by liannejoy » Oct 23rd, '06, 19:05

how to describe pocky.....a feast!! :lol Sorry!:P just go back a few pages, at pg 2 i thinl..someone was able to fully describe pocky sticks! :D

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 23rd, '06, 19:16

@ kota....sorry for the writing, but that's what I called those Pocky, because they are tiny, skinny, kinda long.... looks like skinny sticks to me that's why I called them pocky sticks....they are in the candy section in oriental store....almost like cracker like consistent, but cover with chocolate, or other fruits flavors frosted on them sticks....they are actually good for sweets, but won't make you fill-full from it :-)....well if you live close by, then I'd bring you some for christmass, but you're too far away :lol....sorry :lol....

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Oct 23rd, '06, 19:20

Probably late on the "ramune drink" but the little writing about it really cracked me up. I think they sell it at my local Korean store which is where I get my weekly supply of seaweed and pocky/pepero :wub:....I've always wanted to try it because it looked cool and I liked the marble idea :lol ...I'm so glad my Korean store sells a lot of Japanese candies and sweets and beverages like Pocari Sweat...my brother was hesitant to buy it because he wondered why they added the word "sweat" to the title :lol

jellybean

Post by jellybean » Oct 23rd, '06, 20:03

Yummmmy post!!

I've tried loads of different instant ramens although I've never eaten authentic ramen (all will change when I go to Japan next week yess).

I tried a new one the other day though AND IT WAS SO TASTY!!!! It's the noodles you ALWAYS see in kdramas - edit:can't remember the name :crazy: but they're the noodles covered in thick black sauce, I've always wanted to try it and the ramen version is slightly different because the noodles are...'ramen-y' but the sauce is delicious. It's a 'no-water' ramen, on the packet it says its from China but popular in Korea.
Groink did you send the OP that one by any chance? That was really kind haha!!

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 23rd, '06, 23:43

I ate ramen for the first time a few weeks ago..it was the EXACT same product as the one SHK ate in Full House....it was really, really nice...I think I'm addicted to it now lol...just bought two more boxes full.

I have tried other variations of ramen but they weren't as nice as the one in FH.

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Oct 23rd, '06, 23:52

jellybean wrote:
I tried a new one the other day though AND IT WAS SO TASTY!!!! It's the noodles you ALWAYS see in kdramas - edit:can't remember the name :crazy: but they're the noodles covered in thick black sauce, I've always wanted to try it and the ramen version is slightly different because the noodles are...'ramen-y' but the sauce is delicious. It's a 'no-water' ramen, on the packet it says its from China but popular in Korea.
I think I've tried what you described there but I'm not too sure because I don't know the name of it since I ate it at Korean camp

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 24th, '06, 02:31

@ jellybean....sounds exciting, have a nice trip and a wonderful time....make lots of good memories :-)....

checkerz

Post by checkerz » Oct 24th, '06, 03:03

BigFrog, if u really enjoyed the ramen....
Dunno where do you live in PA, but I live in NJ, and in Fort Lee theres a lot of korean markets... Hum, from lets say, Mt Pocono its a 1:20 hrs drive til there ^^
I also heard that there r korean and japanese market next to Parsipanny, which means 40 mins from mt. pocono...
hehe, hope it helps ^^

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Oct 24th, '06, 03:17

mimmi wrote:@ kota....sorry for the writing, but that's what I called those Pocky, because they are tiny, skinny, kinda long.... looks like skinny sticks to me that's why I called them pocky sticks....they are in the candy section in oriental store....almost like cracker like consistent, but cover with chocolate, or other fruits flavors frosted on them sticks....they are actually good for sweets, but won't make you fill-full from it :-)....well if you live close by, then I'd bring you some for christmass, but you're too far away :lol....sorry :lol....
Yeah, right. You'd probably eat them all on the way there and say the dog ate them while you were busy fighting a homeless guy for them.

It's funny though. I'm the one that's surrounded by like 10000 different asian restaurants everyday, I've eaten in 100s of different ones, and I probably know the least about asian food here (I didn't understand what any food mentioned here was)... oh well tomorrow I'm eating noodles at that restaurant who's name I can't pronounce, but is near the transfiguration school (yeah I know, there are like 20). Hmm, wonder what kind I should get?

jellybean

Post by jellybean » Oct 24th, '06, 17:44

@ mimmi - thank you button, that was a sweet comment! I'll post up some very novice photography showing my time soon in travel section.

@kota - get the black sauce one, its sooo good.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Oct 26th, '06, 06:36

@ Kota....you'd probably right, I might ate them all up, but I don't lie, so I might say "sorry, I ate them all up on my way here, but I brought you the empty carton for your reference for the next time you go to store" :lol....

@ jellybean....I'll be looking forward to your pictures of your trip :-)....have a safe trip :-)....

snowfairy

Post by snowfairy » Oct 26th, '06, 09:54

jellybean wrote:Yummmmy post!!

I've tried loads of different instant ramens although I've never eaten authentic ramen (all will change when I go to Japan next week yess).

Hahaha.. it's called jajangmyeon.. yummy..

go for this page:
http://fatman-seoul.blogspot.com/2004/0 ... myeon.html

snowfairy

Post by snowfairy » Oct 26th, '06, 09:57

kobe23 wrote:I ate ramen for the first time a few weeks ago..it was the EXACT same product as the one SHK ate in Full House....it was really, really nice...I think I'm addicted to it now lol...just bought two more boxes full.

I have tried other variations of ramen but they weren't as nice as the one in FH.
Hmm.. what's the product name of the ramen SHK ate? I like to try one..

groink

Post by groink » May 5th, '09, 06:39

Muuuaahaha! I'm bringing back this topic from the DEAD!

Okay, new product of discussion....

Shirakiku Cooked Rice - MICROWAVABLE!

This is the next step in nuke food technology. This, along with microwavable packets of curry... This would replace instant noodles for me!

Has anyone ever tried this? I purchased a 3-pack from Nigiya Market the other day. When I was talking to someone about it, he said that it has a man-made chemical smell to it when opened. But, he personally never tried it.

--- groink

honey_almond

Microwaveable rice

Post by honey_almond » May 5th, '09, 11:43

Microwaveable rice is alright. It does have a bit of a chemical smell to it. The rice is a bit sticky because it's short grain rice. My housemates and I used to eat that in college when we're too lazy to make rice in the rice cooker lol~

dabogy

Post by dabogy » May 5th, '09, 22:31

Costco has bulk instant ramen if that floats your boat :w00t:

groink

Post by groink » May 5th, '09, 23:08

dabogy wrote:Costco has bulk instant ramen if that floats your boat :w00t:

The best instant ramen they carry is the Korean kim-chee flavored noodle soup. This product is packed with spices and a ton of sodium! I just use 1/2 of the soup stock.

The next best Costco ramen is the Sapporo Ichiban brand, original soup flavor (it's actually shoyu ramen, but the haoles wouldn't know what that is.)

--- groink

yamo

Post by yamo » May 6th, '09, 01:58

Groink, what I do is freeze my leftover rice in saran wrap.
A quick nuke works like a charm, and tastes pretty good!

honey_almond

Post by honey_almond » May 7th, '09, 01:27

yamo wrote:Groink, what I do is freeze my leftover rice in saran wrap.
A quick nuke works like a charm, and tastes pretty good!
Oh, yeah that's a good method to have instant rice ^^ I did that after reading it on someone's blog.

groink

Post by groink » May 7th, '09, 01:50

Even when I nuke refrigerated rice, it becomes too el dante. I think what it needs is maybe a little water sprinkled on top so that it allows the microwave to re-steam the rice, rather than just warm it up.

--- groink

random_me

Post by random_me » May 7th, '09, 02:20

nyum nyum nyum.. love ramen & noodles.. ^^

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_73982.htm

lara_mey

Post by lara_mey » May 7th, '09, 04:46

i like ramen!! but i want to try the traditional one in japan or korean when i see korean dramas and i see noodles with a sauce i want to try it so bad!!

sockmuncher

Post by sockmuncher » May 19th, '09, 21:30

yea i would love to try the "real" noodles also. i seem them in some us stores sometimes but you can tell that they have been on the shelf for like forever so i never tryed them. i would also love to have some real pocky. that stuff is so good. belive it or not i can get pocky at a well known shopping center and it says its make in japan but ofcourse its all in english so its just not the same and i think there are many different flavors