will you marry someone with different religion

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.

YES
65%
NO
35%

Total votes: 278

arabian

Post by arabian » Sep 17th, '06, 10:35

If you love someone and his/her religion is different than your religion ..

will you marry her?? :roll

kstar

Post by kstar » Sep 17th, '06, 10:40

If you love them, then why should that stuff matter? I mean if it conflicts with your relationship, then i don't think its love. If you do love her then nothing else should matter. :) Makes sence? Well I'm not uber religious myself, but yessss! Thats what i think.

AngelicLayer

Post by AngelicLayer » Sep 17th, '06, 10:43

I think I would..but sometimes it´s really hard to get the permission. I noticed it in many dramas, when parents were against somebody. You will have to change your religion or you won´t marry him/her!

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Sep 17th, '06, 14:57

I wouldn't marry anybody who seriously followed any religion at all. If they follow a religion, they are almost inevitably intolerant, brain-washed, unrealistic, narrow-minded and, with some religions, cruel. Their parents are likely to be even worse. For me, religion = bad attitude to everyone who doesn't follow it, and most especially religion = anti-woman. I've never come across a religion that didn't try to sujugate, humiliate or discriminate against women. That's because religions are man-made and therefore subject to all the petty-minded and illogical practices that men can come up with. No, that's not an anti-male rant, it's just what happens when human nature is left in charge of the way people are meant to live.

abcd99

Post by abcd99 » Sep 17th, '06, 15:15

@Gozen: Watch out with your words. Original poster is from UAE.

Silvestre
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Silvestre » Sep 17th, '06, 15:23

well maybe, i dont know... i prefer somebody who has the same religion as me though...

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Sep 17th, '06, 15:31

ABCD99, what point are you making?

douglas2k6

Post by douglas2k6 » Sep 17th, '06, 16:52

I believe it's the United Arab Emirates University.

I don't particularly agree with your post Gozen, but if that's your opinion, you must not have met a lot of religious people. I for one know a lot, from different denominations to different religions, and they are nothing like what you speak about. It sounds like you are a little narrow-minded about religion, and to generalize all religions is just playing wrong to begin with.

As for the topic question, I don't think it matters, if you love someone, it's not really a huge issue, but out of respect you could have them convert or you could convert, maybe if they ask. If you truly love someone, you will do anything for them.

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Sep 17th, '06, 17:03

Douglas2k6, give me some examples of religions that don't denigrate women, I'd love to know if there is one out there!

Silvestre
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Silvestre » Sep 17th, '06, 17:10

douglas2k6 wrote:I believe it's the United Arab Emirates University.

I don't particularly agree with your post Gozen, but if that's your opinion, you must not have met a lot of religious people. I for one know a lot, from different denominations to different religions, and they are nothing like what you speak about. It sounds like you are a little narrow-minded about religion, and to generalize all religions is just playing wrong to begin with.

As for the topic question, I don't think it matters, if you love someone, it's not really a huge issue, but out of respect you could have them convert or you could convert, maybe if they ask. If you truly love someone, you will do anything for them.
he didnt say anything bout University...abcd meant that the poster being from UAE might see Gozen's post as a harsh one...or so, i think :D

Deedlith

Post by Deedlith » Sep 17th, '06, 17:45

There is no religion that denigrates women. Religion and customs are two different things. For example, japanese society is extremely tough toward women and this has nothing to do with religion. As for me i'm muslim, and have friends who don't have any religion but some others who are chritians and judaics. And sorry Gozen but they are not and i don't think i am narrow minded, as i see it the person who is in fact is you.
As for the original post, i have lots of examples of mixed marriage in my family whether religiously or ethnically. As far as I know, there was never any problem except for the choice of religion by the children. Most of them taught them the two religions letting them choose for themself when they got older... Anyway it depends if your family really follow it or just occasionnaly.
As for me, i'd prefer him to be from the same religion, but if he's not he's not what can i do about it? Still having my religion helped me in my life, so i think i would ask him to make a little effort, like not drinking alcohol except when he's having parties, stuff like this... My parents really want me to marry a muslim person, but if he's not they wish i could convert him, since i know it's not that easy i'm kind of preparing them mentally speaking. Anyway, since they're tolerant i don't think they will oppose totally if he doesn't wish to convert. Like every parent, they hope i'll be happy and that's all that matters.
We even discussed about homosexuality once, and for people who were not born in France but in Madagascar, in a really religious atmosphere they told me " if one of you [ talking about me and my brothers] is gay, we really wouldn't like it. But since we're your parents, and we know it must not be easy for you, we would accept... It would be hard on us, but we would accept, because if it's what you wish, we're not gonna make life more difficult for you it's already enough as it is", which really surprised me, knowing where they came from.
So well i'm not really into the subject any more, but anyway the problem is more about the way you live than your beliefs

PS: Sorry for my poor english, it's been a while i haven't posted.

ltran

Post by ltran » Sep 17th, '06, 17:53

coming from a religious background, religion is a huge part of your life/marriage whether you'd like it or not. maybe for unreligious people, yeah it doesn't make a difference.

but as for dating, sure why not? but marriage is something life long. i'm catholic and my boyfriend is buddhist (and he happens to be the only son in his chinese family, we all know how that is) yet my family has only girls, and i know i wouldn't be willing to just "give up my religion" nor would he.

so its really up to how serious you become and whether or not one of you would be willing to make a sacrafice. my philosophy has always been that children should always grow up with some sort of religion whatever it is, so they have something to follow/believe in.

some people may say, oh they're being brainwashed/they don't know any better..well, they can determine that as they get older.

emseg

Post by emseg » Sep 17th, '06, 17:59

Well, I think religion plays a major role in marriage. Sure, people can work it out, but it's very difficult. My father is Muslim and my mother is Christian, and that was a major part of the downfall of their marriage.

Now, that's not going to stop me from marrying someone who isn't my religion. I'm nondenominational, church of christ, christian...and it would be difficult to find someone with the same religion so I keep an open mind.

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Sep 17th, '06, 18:12

Sorry Deedlith, but I just can't understand what you are trying to say to me. My statement is that all religions denigrate women. Societies may also denigrate women, but that does not mean that religions are therefore reasonable to women.

As for anyone else with a problem about my statement that religions treat women like second class citizens (if they are lucky), think of a religion and tell me this:

1. Does the religion allow men and women to worship at the same time in the same place?
2. Does the religion allow women to preach as well as men?
3. Are men and women allowed the same freedoms, the same assumption of decency?
4. Is there an assumption that women are tainted, and a corrupting influence, within that religion?
5. Are all members of that religion equally happy to see women as reasonable, decent human beings who can preach the religion as well as any man?
If it's narrow minded to expect women to be treated as human beings, I actually feel more strongly that religion is a terrible thing.

Sorry to the original poster. You asked a perfectly reasonable question and I answered it honestly. I certainly don't want to hijack this thread and move away from the original question, as I'm sure people of different religions have their own points of view.

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » Sep 17th, '06, 18:36

lol arabian nawya 3ala japanese?

anyway,to answer ur question..I would if I could lol!

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Sep 17th, '06, 18:47

I got pretty involved with a bosnian girl who was muslim a few years back... If things carried on as planned I would most likely have married her...

So I say yes :-)

myke

Post by myke » Sep 17th, '06, 19:32

:lol :lol :lol Interesting.....

i can say...... :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

YES ?!

arabian

Post by arabian » Sep 17th, '06, 19:35

CraZyaH wrote:lol arabian nawya 3ala japanese?

hahaha.. :mrgreen:
if we could.. :D

myke

Post by myke » Sep 17th, '06, 19:46

arabian wrote:

well...... :mrgreen:
if we could.... :lol
and if that he/she is out mate.... :roll
it could be...

douglas2k6

Post by douglas2k6 » Sep 18th, '06, 00:00

Please Gozen, your first statement went well beyond just accusing all religions of denigrating women. The problem is you stated, "If they follow a religion, they are almost inevitably intolerant, brain-washed, unrealistic, narrow-minded and, with some religions, cruel. Their parents are likely to be even worse." and this is where I stopped taking your opinion seriously. Like I stated earlier, to generalize every religious person on this earth, is just playing ignorant. My suggestion is to do a little more research, and please stop generalizing. I'm sorry, but this will be my last post on this topic.

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Sep 18th, '06, 00:23

Douglas, I'm glad you won't post any more on the subject. I'm entitled to my opinion, which is based on research, not the kind of knee-jerk reaction you have just given. I stand by my opinion - which I am entitled to have - and would suggest that you take an objective look at all the major (and some of the minor) religions, then tell me that people who follow their rules are open-minded, tolerant and decent. Tell me that most of the trouble in the world, for the last few thousand years, hasn't been based on religious intolerance, fanatacism and illogical, insane rules. Is it right to follow a religion that perpetuates cruelties on women and female children? If the followers of that religion refuse to speak up about barbaric practices (and I can think of three or four different religions where this goes on) then does that mean that they are gentle, kind people? If they ignore what their religion does to women, then are they decent simply because they followed the rules written by a man with too much power?

How little do you value women, if you think religion is a good thing?

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Sep 18th, '06, 01:59

Gozen wrote:I wouldn't marry anybody who seriously followed any religion at all. If they follow a religion, they are almost inevitably intolerant, brain-washed, unrealistic, narrow-minded and, with some religions, cruel.
You know I dont know if it is just me, but the instant I read that the first thing that came to my mind is how narrow minded that is.

I mean seriously. That is like saying I met a guy once who owned an XBox. He was a jerk. Therefore by my sound reasoning, all XBox owners are jerks. By the way I am totally tolerant, realistic and open minded.

Obvious there are religious fruitcakes out there. Lots of them. With narrow minded points of view. But that isnt everyone. It really doesnt matter how much research you do. Of course research is going to point out the worst examples every time. How about real, common people? I have known a number of religious people. Yeah, some of them were over the top. It always happens. Others were fine, normal people. They followed what they believed and didnt rant at me when I wanted to drink and not go to church. If you speak to rational people instead of religion bashing hardcore athiests, you will find that a lot of people like this exist.

Has it ever occured to you that hardcore athiests are just as much ranting, narrow minded jerks as hardcore religious types? I see it all the time in real life and on the internet. In both cases, the fanatic in question wont even acknowledge what the other party has to say and brands all people in the other category as close minded, intolerant, evil. The biggest irony to me is to hear an athiest use the argument 'Religion is responsible for war blah blah' then 2 minutes later say they want to wipe religion off the face of the earth. What the hell is that!? Sounds like an arrogant and violent attitude to me that does not promote peace or understanding in any way. Let alone respecting other peoples opinions. The truth is, no matter what you want, religion and athiesm will always exist, so the people involved in them need to learn to be tolerant, not raving hardcore jerkwads.

As to the point about religion causing wars. It isnt religion that causes wars. It is people being intolerant of differences. Even if all religion were wiped out, people would still cluster together into groups based on a common element and be mistrusting of groups that viewed things differently. That is not religion; that is human nature.

Sorry to rant everyone, but I have seen so many posts exactly like this on the internet recently. This thread just happened to be one too many. I am just sick to death of religion vs athiesm retarded threads full of retarded posters who cant see two damned feet in front of their face. Also they never take a look in the mirror and check their own attitude.

As to the actual thread...

I guess it would depend on how that persons moral beliefs and my own compared. I couldnt be with someone who believed in things that I thought were wrong

EDIT: Of course I was wasting my time in posting this. Obvious Gozen is a hardcore athiest, and with extreme attitudes like his he wont listen. Hardcore types never listen.
Last edited by Aulcard on Sep 19th, '06, 01:31, edited 1 time in total.

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Sep 18th, '06, 04:16

Gozen wrote:...give me some examples of religions that don't denigrate women, I'd love to know if there is one out there!
Wicca.

arabian

Post by arabian » Sep 18th, '06, 18:47

myke wrote:
arabian wrote:

well...... :mrgreen:
if we could.... :lol
and if that he/she is out mate.... :roll
it could be...
I'm engaged.. :lol

groink

Post by groink » Sep 18th, '06, 19:09

Aulcard wrote:I mean seriously. That is like saying I met a guy once who owned an XBox. He was a jerk. Therefore by my sound reasoning, all XBox owners are jerks. By the way I am totally tolerant, realistic and open minded.

EDIT: Of course I was wasting my time in posting this. Obvious Gozen is a hardcore athiest, and with extreme attitudes like his he wont listen. Hardcore types never listed.
Let me clear one thing up about atheism. In its simple form, the basic belief in spirituality is looked upon a being totally illogical. That is why the XBox analogy is not only correct, but yes if a person believes in spirituality, then the atheist will react negatively, and with vigor. That is why a spiritual person should not waste his time explaining his position.

Before government took over the duty of handling marriages, marriages was purely a religious custom. Because the word "marriage" and "religion" are the themes of this topic, it gives even non-believers like atheists a right to chime and counter even the thought of religion. This is why I'm totally against any discussions of religion and/or its customs on a public form like D-Addicts.

As for my opinion on the topic, I too am a fundamental atheist. I would only consider a civil union with a woman if she and her family keep their spiritual beliefs to themselves. Considering the fact that spiritually active people are evangelical by nature, this would more likely be virtually an impossible scenario. So in the real world, I do not plan on marrying period and instead continue to date women, regardless of their religious beliefs. If in bed she starts screeming God's name, I'll just assume she's referring to me. :)

--- groink

radicchix

Post by radicchix » Sep 18th, '06, 19:45

WOW, Religions is a really serious matter when it comes to all differences in our world, I’m Brazilian, so we don’t have much problems and differences, and Brazilian people normally accept anything, as an Student of International Relations (and yes I don’t follow any religion myself) I think religion is very interesting though, I don’t care and I would probably love to marry someone not only different in her religion but on it’s culture as well, for me it would be the best thing in the world since I really love that we are different in several ways, so I would try to learn more and more with the person that I love the most and still would continuous my process learning about everything I can ^^ I can understand the frustration that some and even I sometimes have, but religions suffer a lot from the interest of the States, the blame normally fall upon religion when it’s pure economic or security issue where the state is trying to change or maintain the status quo.

Kimmy07

Post by Kimmy07 » Sep 18th, '06, 20:19

As long as they aren't hardcore about whatever religion they're in to the point that's dangerous or closed-minded I'll marry whoever I love. It's more-or-less how the religion affects them then what religion they're in. For instance, I'm Catholic but I couldn't marry another Catholic if he forced his beliefs on anyone else or believed that everyone that wasn't Catholic was wrong.

In my opinion, most religions lead to the same place in the end and have similar objectives. They're just different ways of looking at beliefs and learning and acting out our individual faiths. So I'd definitely have no problem marrying someone that's not Catholic.

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Sep 19th, '06, 01:51

groink wrote: Let me clear one thing up about atheism. In its simple form, the basic belief in spirituality is looked upon a being totally illogical. That is why the XBox analogy is not only correct, but yes if a person believes in spirituality, then the atheist will react negatively, and with vigor. That is why a spiritual person should not waste his time explaining his position.

Before government took over the duty of handling marriages, marriages was purely a religious custom. Because the word "marriage" and "religion" are the themes of this topic, it gives even non-believers like atheists a right to chime and counter even the thought of religion. This is why I'm totally against any discussions of religion and/or its customs on a public form like D-Addicts
Yeah I am sorry about my rant. I normally never post in religious threads. I was not trying to defend either religion or athiesm, I was trying to point out how much I hate threads like this and how retarded people on both sides can behave. Mostly I get tired of how any thread that has the word 'religion' in it ends up being totally derailed by people who will take any opportunity to bash religion rather than stay on topic. Eg someone says 'I have a christian girlfriend and I am not a christian, it is causing problems but I really love her and want to work things out' quickly turns from 'you may have to break up with her because of unreconcilable differences' into 'F**K THAT **** SHE IS STUPID ALL RELIGION IS GAY'. Of course here I am, derailing this very thread, which makes me feel a bit stupid.

I do realise athiests view religion as totally illogical therefore all religious people will be reacted toward badly. That to me is exactly the same as religious types who view all athiests as evil heathens and react toward them badly. That was pretty much what I was trying to say.

Sigh... religion threads.

6502inside

Post by 6502inside » Sep 19th, '06, 08:16

While I have also thought that threads about religion turn out to be a pointless waste of time, this one is actually interesting. As I began reading I thought the answer should be "yes" because an optimistic, "love conquers all" attitude kind of suits me.

Then douglas2k6 wrote: "If you truly love someone, you will do anything for them." I sometimes wonder about what things I wouldn't do for somebody that I adore but at this moment I realized that pretending to believe in a religion is one of them.

Religion is something that I can't understand and the fact that people can take it seriously frightens me. The best I can do is avoid the subject whenever possible. So, me marrying a religious person would be like a person who was born deaf marrying a musician, except that a deaf person probably can accept the fact that they are one of a special minority. I cannot accept it so easily.

arabian

Post by arabian » Sep 19th, '06, 12:55

When i post this topic i want only to know the defferent view for people not to compare between religion or talk about religion because they are here religious people and some are not..
So, i will appreciate if you just gays talk about the main topic not about religions ..
( sorry for my poor english)..

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Sep 19th, '06, 13:01

No.. because I'm one of those people who don't really believe in anything, and I tend to make A LOT of jokes on people who pray at imaginary objects, and dead people..
Don't get me started on countires, or people who use god as an excuse to start war or create terror....

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Sep 19th, '06, 13:08

btw for the next Survivor I recommend a Jews vs Catholics/Christians vs Muslims vs Buddist...
Id actually turn on my TV and watch that just so I can watch and see hyprocacy at it's finest..

nenusa

Post by nenusa » Sep 19th, '06, 13:12

deedith, this is off topic but i love :salut: your parents..... regardless where they originally came from - they are sensible and truly loving and unselfish parents. we should reproduce more of them! how lucky you are to have them...... :D

mallorn

Post by mallorn » Sep 19th, '06, 13:12

No, I don't think so. My mom is a Protestant and my dad is a Catholic, and they get along pretty well EXCEPT when it's time to talk about religion- ie which church to go to, and stuff like that. It doesn't help that they are both from extreme sides of the spectrum- my mom was raised in a Protestant family which were active members of their church while my dad is from an ultra-conservative Catholic family and attends Opus Dei prayer sessions weekly (he's not a member though, just a cooperator). So, I don't know.

On the other hand, my grandfather switched religious sects to marry my grandmother! Personally I think I won't budge on the subject of religion, it will depend on my partner.

arabian

Post by arabian » Sep 19th, '06, 13:16

Atomic wrote:No.. because I'm one of those people who don't really believe in anything, and I tend to make A LOT of jokes on people who pray at imaginary objects, and dead people..
Don't get me started on countires, or people who use god as an excuse to start war or create terror....
what do you mean? :idea:

don't start anything & if you don't believe in anything so, you have to respect other people feeling who are religious or believe in god (Allah)..
Last edited by arabian on Sep 19th, '06, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Sep 19th, '06, 13:18

Atomic wrote:No.. because I'm one of those people who don't really believe in anything, and I tend to make A LOT of jokes on people who pray at imaginary objects, and dead people..
making fun of people's religions isn't cool dude. it's disrespectful regardless of your beliefs.

daniel_son

Didn't work out for me!

Post by daniel_son » Sep 19th, '06, 13:21

For me, it did not work out. However, I would still say yes. For some people it might work, depends on the personality, understanding, commitment and sacrifices both couple are willing to make to each other and their children (don't forget the children in this equation).

skachild

Post by skachild » Sep 19th, '06, 13:35

for me.. probably yes... :-) :-)

dont ur think this topic is a little bit sensitive... i mean is about religion.. dont want to see any big argument around here... :|

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Sep 19th, '06, 13:40

arabian wrote:When i post this topic i want only to know the defferent view for people not to compare between religion or talk about religion because they are here religious people and some are not..
So, i will appreciate if you just gays talk about the main topic not about religions ..
In a sense, we are talking about different religions in regards to relationships. I'm Taoist/Buddhist and most of the people I know who are in the same religion as me, are more than willing to marry someone of a different faith. I don't know of too many Buddhists who marry each other - in my experience, they tend to be involved in relationships with people who are Christians, Protestants, etc. However from my experience, I know quite a number of acquintances who follow Islam and only one married outside of his faith (but even then before marriage his wife converted to Islam in order to marry him)...I do believe the people who are willing to marry outside of their faith depends on their faith. The chances that a person who believes in Islam will marry a Buddhist, Catholic, Baptist, etc. are extremely slim compare to a Christian marrying a Catholic.

arabian

Post by arabian » Sep 19th, '06, 14:04

GhstDreamer wrote:
arabian wrote:When i post this topic i want only to know the defferent view for people not to compare between religion or talk about religion because they are here religious people and some are not..
In a sense, we are talking about different religions in regards to relationships. I'm Taoist/Buddhist and most of the people I know who are in the same religion as me, are more than willing to marry someone of a different faith. I don't know of too many Buddhists who marry each other - in my experience, they tend to be involved in relationships with people who are Christians, Protestants, etc. However from my experience, I know quite a number of acquintances who follow Islam and only one married outside of his faith (but even then before marriage his wife converted to Islam in order to marry him)...I do believe the people who are willing to marry outside of their faith depends on their faith. The chances that a person who believes in Islam will marry a Buddhist, Catholic, Baptist, etc. are extremely slim compare to a Christian marrying a Catholic.
first, thank you for your comment..
not all muslim are the same i'll give an example..
lebanon is an arabian country but not all of them are muslim there are Islam & christian
and there are defferent ( sunna & she'aa) and the christian (Catholic & Protestants & orthodox ) and other but they still get married as if they are lebanese ..
what i mean from all this is that if you born in country with defferent religion you may can expect to marry as you are from one country but if you are from country that all the people believe in one religion you may feel that little hard to expect it..
that's my view as i live in country all of them are muslim so it's little strange to me to married somone from defferent country.. so, how it will if it's from defferent religion it's something tough .. :|

AngelicLayer

Post by AngelicLayer » Sep 19th, '06, 14:21

PEOPLE ( MAYBE I SHOULD CALL SUCH PEOPLE PEOPLE ) WHO DON´T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT RELIGION SHOULD JUST SHUT UP

THIS TOPIC DOESN´T FIT YOU!!
WHAT´S WRONG WITH THOSE PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT THEIR RELIGION? GOZEN, YOU WANTED TO KNOW ANY RELIGION WHICH IS GOOD TO WOMEN, WELL IT´S BEEING BUDDHIST!!

nenusa

Post by nenusa » Sep 19th, '06, 14:33

i dont think faith or religion is the deciding factor when marrying someone at this present generation. perhaps to those who were raised in a very religious environment, it could be but one thing i know that's happening until now - a lot of people are fighting and most died because of religion .........!

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » Sep 19th, '06, 18:16

arabian wrote: that's my view as i live in country all of them are muslim so it's little strange to me to married somone from defferent country.. so, how it will if it's from defferent religion it's something tough .. :|
something tough? arabian we all know that muslim girls "can't" get married to non-muslims lol so it's not an option for it to be "hard" or "tough".. and for a girl from the UAE,you shouldn't be worried about the religion,worry about the country lol I know I'd get killed if I got married to someone from another country even if he was a muslim. so sorry but you've started a subject that u can not relate to at all (and which you obviously have a clear answer for)

وبعدين الناس ما تصدق اهنيه يوم حد يبدا يتكلم عن الدين، ناقصين سب نحن هههه

edit : When I said "killed",I was only exaggerating,lol I know some people would actually believe it since we're already known to be "terrorists" lol

Matrix2021

Post by Matrix2021 » Sep 19th, '06, 18:43

the answer s maybe but it's all about respect, if each other in love and respect the religion it wil be ok

but there's something here, r u muslim, coz if u r muslim and female u can't :)

Romance

Post by Romance » Sep 19th, '06, 18:45

i dont give a **** about religions and different countries, im in love with a japanese girl and she loves me, we are perfect for eachother, one girl, one boy. we will probably marry in the future :wub:

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Sep 19th, '06, 18:55

Romance wrote:i dont give a **** about religions and different countries, im in love with a japanese girl and she loves me, we are perfect for eachother, one girl, one boy. we will probably marry in the future :wub:
:-) It worked out well for me. Different religions too (well, im a non practicing catholic and my wife is a non practicing buhdist so im not sure its a big deal..) Good luck to you...

KuroRyu

Post by KuroRyu » Sep 19th, '06, 18:55

kstar wrote:If you love them, then why should that stuff matter? I mean if it conflicts with your relationship, then i don't think its love. If you do love her then nothing else should matter. :) Makes sence? Well I'm not uber religious myself, but yessss! Thats what i think.
qft

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Sep 20th, '06, 02:27

nikochanr3 wrote:
making fun of people's religions isn't cool dude. it's disrespectful regardless of your beliefs.
hence why I wouldn't marry someone who actually prays and believes in something, casue I know i'd say something insulting to them, or her parents..

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Sep 20th, '06, 02:37

arabian wrote:
what do you mean? :idea:

don't start anything & if you don't believe in anything so, you have to respect other people feeling who are religious or believe in god (Allah)..

What do you mean what I mean? I was replying to your topic.. and I haven't started anything... You asked for people's opinion and I gave you mine...

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Sep 20th, '06, 02:55

Yes. I think if you love someone, you need to be open minded despite the fact that both of you have different religions. The only hard thing is deciding which religion your child will take up.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Sep 20th, '06, 03:00

Atomic wrote:
nikochanr3 wrote:
hence why I wouldn't marry someone who actually prays and believes in something, casue I know i'd say something insulting to them, or her parents..
dude, saying I MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE WHO PRAY TO IMAGINARY OBJECTS AND DEAD PEOPLE is just not polite. You must know that....no hate...its just not nice and not helpful to a discussion. a discussion where most people probably do believe in something.

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Sep 20th, '06, 03:20

nikochanr3 wrote:
Atomic wrote:
nikochanr3 wrote:
dude, saying I MAKE FUN OF PEOPLE WHO PRAY TO IMAGINARY OBJECTS AND DEAD PEOPLE is just not polite. You must know that....no hate...its just not nice and not helpful to a discussion. a discussion where most people probably do believe in something.
Guy I know it's not nice. I just cant help it.. It's like having tourrets syndrome only it's targeted at religious people. I think it's because of the 19 years of catholic upbrining I had growing up.. 19 years of catholic school should turn any sane person in to a sarcastic prick..

arabian

Post by arabian » Sep 20th, '06, 12:05

CraZyaH wrote:
arabian wrote: that's my view as i live in country all of them are muslim so it's little strange to me to married somone from defferent country.. so, how it will if it's from defferent religion it's something tough .. :|
something tough? arabian we all know that muslim girls "can't" get married to non-muslims lol so it's not an option for it to be "hard" or "tough".. and for a girl from the UAE,you shouldn't be worried about the religion,worry about the country lol I know I'd get killed if I got married to someone from another country even if he was a muslim. so sorry but you've started a subject that u can not relate to at all (and which you obviously have a clear answer for)

edit : When I said "killed",I was only exaggerating,lol I know some people would actually believe it since we're already known to be "terrorists" lol
هلا فيج حبيبتي انا اعرف اني كبنت مسلمة ما اقدر اتزوج من غير مسلم وهذا طبعا شي من المستحيل ارضى فيه على نفسي بس تعالي فهمي هذيلا اللي يتحرون المسلمين ارهابيين ..
اذا اول موضع مسوي جذي ..
اقول خلهم يضاربون انا بدخل وبشوف التعليقات وماعليه منهم..
:cheers:
see you.. :whistling:

nedayaj

Post by nedayaj » Sep 20th, '06, 22:39

You know what.. thats a very good question.. would i marry someone with a different religion. Hmm.. thinking.... Well it depends whom or what i'm marrying into. If i marry him for happiness and for us to be a couple, yes i'll marry him even if he is a different race or religion.

But who wouldn't marry for happiness right? well, i've seen a few people that had married into a different religion. Some weren't happy and some were. What I distinguish between the ones that were happy and unhappy were the ones that were happy, loved each other very much, and they are happy with their religion and doesn't mind getting to know the other religion. The unhappy ones are the ones where they love each other aka obsess, but they have different morals and that is where conflicts come in. As you can see, happiness plays alot with marriage. A person Happiness is the number one thing. As long as i am happy with that person, and happy with his religion, i will definitely marry the one i love, whatever race or religion he belongs too. Yea yea, so much happiness. I guess i'm just a happy person. :P

Crazy Penguin

Post by Crazy Penguin » Sep 21st, '06, 14:37

I stick to what Marx said. Religion is the opium for the common people. And considering all the bad things religion has brought upon mankind (let's not start on crusades, jihad and things like inquisiton, suicide bombers and witch hunts), it'd be better if we'd abolish it alltogether. Despite propaganda religion these days is still extremely intolerant (especially the monotheistic ones, take those creationists who completely ignore all creation myths that come not from the bible and with that claim that the bible is the only true word of god). Personally, I consider religion to be 100% obsolete in the 21st century. We should be driven by intelligence, observation, knowledge and our own free will and not some oldfashioned superstition.

As for the topic. I would, but only if the partner would not try to shove her religion into my face. Once she does that, I have to tell her to f*** off. Believe what you want, pray to God, Jahwe, Allah, your computer mouse or a spot on the wall that looks like Nixon, but when you start shoving your religion into my face... well... let me just say I'll stop being nice at that point and the result won't be pretty. And I can guarantee you that you won't like that result.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Sep 21st, '06, 15:56

i find it funny the people who dont believe (sides me) seem to be the most intolerant people in the conversation. Interesting....

carpe_noctem

Post by carpe_noctem » Sep 21st, '06, 19:42

6502inside wrote:Then douglas2k6 wrote: "If you truly love someone, you will do anything for them." I sometimes wonder about what things I wouldn't do for somebody that I adore but at this moment I realized that pretending to believe in a religion is one of them. .
Totally so. I would not convert to any religion because that would mean pretending for the sake of .. ? what? I will not pretend that I believe in any god... for anybody.
I;m an atheist,I dont know if I ever marry since I dont like the idea of marriage *that* much. If I do, however... Well, my bf is buddhist and I dont view it as a big obstacle. Nor does his religion/belief require from me to convert to it in order to marry him*lol* But yeah... I might imagine being in a relationship with a christian (much less with a muslim, I must confess, though I dont have any special prejudice against them- i just think there's too much of a cultural difference)...haha but then I dont like people who just pretend to be "catholics" (like the majority in my country does) -or any other religion,obviously-so they would have to REALLY believe in their faith and then I dont think a rlationsship would be possible at all...
Haha this all seems to be very confusing... I think Im just lucky to have a bf who's a buddhist ... Ihave never given much thought to being with someone else :o (of another faith)
(sighs) it's a complicated matter and to give a full answer would involve considering like hundreds of options...
all in all.. NO, unless it's not a "disturbing" kind of religion (doesnt have a wedding ceremony, doesnt require the other side to convert)...

Auty
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Auty » Sep 23rd, '06, 01:06

na i'll marry a muslim.. its what i'm supposed to do anyways and you kinda have to to follow your religion..

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Sep 23rd, '06, 07:19

all I can say is "what ever you want, it's up to you"....I married someone from a different race, different religion's beliefs, and it's still work out between us....I'm not a pious catholic, I go to church from time to time....we discussed religion from time to time, but we don't let it comes between us :-).....he respected the holy days that I observed, and I also respected his religion's point of view....both of us are very open minded people....I also still believe in my old cultural religion's beliefs, which is totally against the catholic's beliefs....so nobody can understand me even my own relations, but the elders whom have passed away noted that "it's because I have respect for my native customs and cultures that's why I also believe and practiced the old religons at times....my dad and mom don't have any comments on that, but my relatives on both sides are the ones that make comments that "it's paganism what I'm doing sometimes in my growing up"....but I just don't care what others said about my religion's believes. I'm what I am and I believe what I beliefs :lol....do I make any sense? :lol it's confusing sometimes :lol....

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Sep 24th, '06, 10:30

I'm an atheist and would only consider marrying a religious person if he was able to see and accept the world outside of his own.

nagashi

Post by nagashi » Sep 24th, '06, 16:54

Personally, I'd have trouble marrying someone with ANY relgion XDD

I'm very very anti-religious ^^;;;

Chashek

Post by Chashek » Sep 24th, '06, 17:38

OK, so two things:

First - I think I might marry someone from a different religion, if I really loved them, but no matter how deep those feelings might run, I wouldn't convert to their religion unless if I could be convinced that their religion had a greater chance of being correct than Christianity.

Second - here's just a viewpoint that I found in a book (forgot who's), and thought was interesting - atheism requires as much faith as religion, because there is just as little evidence (scientific evidence, that is - since that's the only evidence that an atheist would accept) supporting the existence of God as there is denying it.

Helanite

Post by Helanite » Sep 24th, '06, 17:47

This is the first time for me to do a post thing on a site, so hopefully this goes well
! :lol . I saw the topic on the homepage, and read through every-ones opinions and points of views, and I got to say, there are some very good people in here! :D

As for the original subject, yeah, I would marry someone from another religion if I met someone really special! but, in normal circumstance's, I would marry someone from my religion, its just how things go normally, and its a little easier to have a relationship with someone who believes in the same things you do etc etc.

I read some of gozen's comments from the earlier posts, and she asked if we knew of any religions that don't discriminate against women etc etc, I know of one! MORMONS!! :-)

djnarrow

Post by djnarrow » Sep 24th, '06, 17:50

What is actually wrong with marrying someone from another religion it makes no sense if it even should be a problem that's just plain discrimination cuz you're not doing something because of his believes

it's the same as not marrying someone cuz he's black

well you could figure out what my opinion is about this...

KuroRyu

Post by KuroRyu » Sep 24th, '06, 20:18

Imo, religion has many interpretations and thus levels/methods of practice. For some ppl. it's just something they were born into and grow out of. While others have it integrated in their lifestyle and therefore somewhat in their personality and way of thinking (which I find important as an important trait when deciding to spend the rest of your life with a certain person). On the other hand, I think that every1 is a person b4 a follower of a religion, not the other way around. So if you love a certain person, then what he/she believes in should be part of what you find attractive in that person. And if that isn't the case, then you're not looking "deep" enough.

Also, the requirement of faith in atheism is something I cannot understand. This is because atheism requires the follower to understand facts through logic and scientific methods whilst religion is only based solely on faith. Religion claims to be perfect and complete whereas science claims to be imperfect (no such thing as ultimate truth, only to take steps to get closer to it). Although I do agree that absence of proof is not proof of absence, but at the same time it doesnt mean that for instance if the answer isn't "A" it has to be "B", it's ok not to know for sure (maybe that's what life is about..) :scratch:

And now I'm gonna go and do my hmwrk.. :P ...damn school... : :cussing:

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Sep 24th, '06, 20:48

KuroRyu wrote:Imo, religion has many interpretations and thus levels/methods of practice. For some ppl. it's just something they were born into and grow out of. While others have it integrated in their lifestyle and therefore somewhat in their personality and way of thinking (which I find important as an important trait when deciding to spend the rest of your life with a certain person). On the other hand, I think that every1 is a person b4 a follower of a religion, not the other way around. So if you love a certain person, then what he/she believes in should be part of what you find attractive in that person. And if that isn't the case, then you're not looking "deep" enough.

Also, the requirement of faith in atheism is something I cannot understand. This is because atheism requires the follower to understand facts through logic and scientific methods whilst religion is only based solely on faith. Religion claims to be perfect and complete whereas science claims to be imperfect (no such thing as ultimate truth, only to take steps to get closer to it). Although I do agree that absence of proof is not proof of absence, but at the same time it doesnt mean that for instance if the answer isn't "A" it has to be "B", it's ok not to know for sure (maybe that's what life is about..) :scratch:

And now I'm gonna go and do my hmwrk.. :P ...damn school... : :cussing:
I agreed with your comments

Deedlith

Post by Deedlith » Sep 24th, '06, 20:56

CraZyaH wrote:

Just wanted to say that it's not that we can't marry a non-muslim person it's simply because of the fact that only the father can pass his religion to his children. At least that's what i've heard from my mother when we discussed the subject. But since you can convert later i don't see any problem, if your child is not from the same religion as you in the beginning. At least you're sure that if he does it's really because he's got faith in it. On the contrary it's women who pass it when you're jewish.
As for Gozen, i pmed her about some of her comments and she found it totally normal saying things like this
If they follow a religion, they are almost inevitably intolerant, brain-washed, unrealistic, narrow-minded and, with some religions, cruel. Their parents are likely to be even worse. For me, religion = bad attitude to everyone who doesn't follow it, and most especially religion = anti-woman.
Well no need for me to quote what she answered me in her pm, no need to waste time and energy with people like this. As I told her thanks god we're 6 billions on this Earth, probability of meeting her or somebody like this in real life is not really high.

And As I said earlier, i think it all depends of the way you carry your religion. If you really follow it you're more likely to marry somebody who's from the same religion as you. It also depends of the country you're born in, or you live in, as i said my family is full of mixed marriage between, christians, muslims and atheists, and we never had any conflicts. As long as everybody is tolerant towards each other, it's alright.
Of course i'm talking about an atheists who don't believe but still respect others beliefs, not jocking about religions at least in front of their wife or husband.
Anyway when you love somebody, you are seduced by the way that person live as well; if she or he has a healthy life for example, as long as this person- having a religion or not- is balanced and everything it shouldn't matter. Well at least personnally... If you're living in some countries like arabian, you'll have to face social pressure which is another problem...

syuu

Post by syuu » Sep 24th, '06, 21:14

i've been on this site for years

look at the forums once in a while

never really cared enough to register, didn't have much to say.

but i've never seen someone deserve the banhammer more than the person who spoke so boldly earlier in this post.

so i'd like to say thanks to gozen, you were such a douche that i am now actually registered on this site.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Sep 24th, '06, 23:20

Gozen does have a point. All those who follow a religion excessively and obsessively are the way she described - however, she misses the point that most religious people aren't religious nuts.

berserk

Post by berserk » Sep 25th, '06, 08:48

My religion is very important to me so I'll never marry someone from a different religion. Our worldviews would be too different.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Sep 25th, '06, 13:40

Not all religious people are intolerant zealots. I think we need to be careful of that. I actually take classes at a (Tenri) Budhist center. Everyone who works there is very into their religion, yet not ONCE in years have I been pressured to do anything that included their religion. They would love to share it if i asked, sure. But they don't....

saying IM AN ATHEIST AND I WONT ACCEPT ANYTHING ELSE is the same as IM CATHOLIC AND THATS ALL I ACCEPT. i dont see a difference....

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Sep 26th, '06, 03:26

Whoa!! All people ARE different, which means religious people are also different. Don't categorize them as brainwashed nuts. There may be some people who fit your description but keep in mind that one can be religious but don't enforce their religion on others.

Cub

Post by Cub » Sep 26th, '06, 09:32

I'll marry him if I do not need to convert. :-)

bitoy004

Post by bitoy004 » Sep 26th, '06, 10:48

It really depends if I can tolerate some religious fruitcake customs, plus converting is definitely out of the question. If all is in order I really don't care want race, religion they are. Oh maybe not satanism that the other out of the question. And if you really love each other expect the challenges to be tough and you have to face it head-on.

Matrix2021

Post by Matrix2021 » Sep 26th, '06, 11:30

we will probably marry in the future

i hope u'll my friend "Romance"