Travelling alone in Japan...

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
nezuzim

Travelling alone in Japan...

Post by nezuzim » Oct 13th, '06, 09:59

Hey all,

Is it generally safe to travel alone in Japan? anythings I should watch out for?

japanese_boy

Re: Travelling alone in Japan...

Post by japanese_boy » Oct 13th, '06, 10:39

nezuzim wrote:Hey all,

Is it generally safe to travel alone in Japan? anythings I should watch out for?

well...it's safe if u like to go alone..but u should at least understand a little bit about their language and their letter...because when ur in japan..u will often use the transportation like train, bus n etc...some of the train station doesn't have the english letter...only have the kanji letter..so u have to ask the people around.....
last time when i went to tokyo 6 months ago..i only know a little bit about their language...
i stayed at the hostel....the train station near the hostel doesn't have the english letter...so i have to ask the people around...
another thing is ...u shouldn't ask people who are rushing around...bcoz their will ignore u...
furthermore..try to avoid taking train in the morning because usually there are to many people taking train to go to their office...so, the japanese people will always push u inside the train although the train full of people.....
sorry for my bad english...hope this info will u a little bit... :-)

rika-ika

Post by rika-ika » Oct 13th, '06, 10:56

A friend had been there 1 month ago and he had one really big problem, he couldn´t read the menu card and couldn´t oder something to eat. He said, you really have to know some basic kanji.
If you can´t understand the answer, let them write it down.

Wattstax

Post by Wattstax » Oct 13th, '06, 10:59

japanese_boy wrote:well...it's safe if u like to go alone..but u should at least understand a little bit about their language and their letter...because when ur in japan..u will often use the transportation like train, bus n etc...some of the train station doesn't have the english letter...only have the kanji letter..so u have to ask the people around.....
last time when i went to tokyo 6 months ago..i only know a little bit about their language...
i stayed at the hostel....the train station near the hostel doesn't have the english letter...so i have to ask the people around...
another thing is ...u shouldn't ask people who are rushing around...bcoz their will ignore u...
furthermore..try to avoid taking train in the morning because usually there are to many people taking train to go to their office...so, the japanese people will always push u inside the train although the train full of people.....
sorry for my bad english...hope this info will u a little bit... :-)
I totally agree with the above statement. Don't worry that much. After a few days you will recognize the kanjis of the most important stations. And if you don't know where to go, just put on an asking look and study the map. A few moments later someone will come to help you. I experienced it a few times myself. Nice people there :thumleft:

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Oct 13th, '06, 13:04

Just don't be stupid and you will be fine. You really need to TRY to get in trouble in japan to get in trouble. Some parts of the city are a little seedy but even there if you are alert you will be fine. In 20 trips there i had some homeless guy grab me once in roppongi and try to take money. thats it. The only person i ever knew who got in trouble in japan met some pretty girl who asked him right away to go the love hotel (where she asked him to go wash up first when they got there), and grabbed his wallet and bag and ran. :lol So i guess my advice is don't run off right away with pretty girls? :lol

Seriously, an alert person in japan is about as safe as you can be.

nezuzim

Post by nezuzim » Oct 13th, '06, 13:11

Thanks alot for your replies,

So in other words, I just have to be alert and be careful of pretty girls? :lol

How about accomdations? Any recommendations? I'm back-packing.

Any recommendations to where to go in Tokyo?

Riee109

Post by Riee109 » Oct 13th, '06, 13:17

If you're a girl than better don't have a conversation with some host who start to talk to you. If you do so, you'll end up in some host-club or love hotel for sure!

As a accommodation I would recommend you the Yoyogi youth hostel! It's cheap, nice, clean and central!

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Oct 13th, '06, 13:27

nezuzim wrote:Thanks alot for your replies,

So in other words, I just have to be alert and be careful of pretty girls? :lol

How about accomdations? Any recommendations? I'm back-packing.

Any recommendations to where to go in Tokyo?
:lol be alert and be careful of pretty girls pretty much takes care of any situation.

what do you like to do? whats an ok hotel price?

gougz

Post by gougz » Oct 13th, '06, 13:58

where to go inTokyo?
if you want clubbin' go to shibuya (roppongi) :alcoholic:

nezuzim

Post by nezuzim » Oct 14th, '06, 00:39

My budget is about $50-60? I went to check out some ryokan's prices which is about $80 per night.

Erm, I'm not exactly sure of my itinery right now, but are there some places that is DEFINITE MUST to visit?

How's the yoyogi youth hostel? Which part of tokyo is it at?

I see, how's the clubbing scene like in Roppongi?

Thanks

gougz

Post by gougz » Oct 14th, '06, 02:09

go to hotel new azuma in Ueno, , 20€ per night (you can negotiate less if u speak japanese), it's not a four star but it's ok, and it's 5 min foot from the metro Jr Yamanote which can take you to shibuya

and the club in roppongi are great, but there are a lot of gaijin, seems like you're not in japan :goggle:

but don't worry, Japan is the safest country in the world, (u can sleep outside with your luggages if u want!)

if u can't read or speak japanese, just learn the Yamanote line
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamanote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamanote_Line
(in the french one there is a scheme)

sorry for my bad english, but i'm tired :D (it's 4.15 am here)
oyasumi

Riee109

Post by Riee109 » Oct 14th, '06, 07:15

The yoyogi youth hostel borders the yoyogi park... so you're able to walk to Shibuya, Harajuku, Yoyogi and Shinjuku.
This is very useful when you go clubbing because there are no trains at night!
While being in Japan I only went to two clubs, one in Shibuya and one in Aoyama.

I'm actually avoiding Roppongi (except for Roppongi Hills), because there are really too many foreigners.

gougz

Post by gougz » Oct 14th, '06, 14:15

Riee109 wrote:The yoyogi youth hostel borders the yoyogi park....
but i think there is a curfew in this one!
if u don't want to clubbin' all night, you can sleep in a manga café until the first train.

and don't forget to play soccer in the roof of a building in shibuya, it's amazing, but you have to find 9 partners (you must be 10 minimum, and it's 1000 yen per 15minutes)
:salut:

ephesus
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ephesus » Oct 15th, '06, 02:38

When are you going to be in Japan? I'll show you around ...

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Oct 15th, '06, 06:24

Heh, I'll be doing the same thing. Going to Japan alone I mean. I guess I better write down some notes..Although I have many friends who can offer me a place to stay and stuff so I'm not too worried. I want to try to visit more towns this time..Also, I might meet my penpal.. :-) She said she'll guide me around so I'm really looking forward to that..

ying82

Post by ying82 » Dec 7th, '06, 18:33

ephesus wrote:When are you going to be in Japan? I'll show you around ...
Are u going to be in tokyo for xmas?

Just decided to go to japan from dec 21st to jan 5. What's the weather like in Tokyo compared to socal? Don't know what to pack yet.

ephesus
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ephesus » Dec 7th, '06, 21:38

Actually, no. Haha sorry. I just got back from Japan the day before yesterday actually and won't be going back for a couple months probably.
Last edited by ephesus on Dec 10th, '06, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

KaoruKamiya

Post by KaoruKamiya » Dec 7th, '06, 22:10

Lived in Japan for a year as a student. You don't have to worry about crime or anything for the most part. As for subways etc, in Tokyo, almost all the train signs have english on them so its not to bad. Most people cannot speak English though so you may have a problem trying to speak to natives. As for the weather in Tokyo during dec. it is really close to the weather in the NW like seattle. prob around 40-50 F and rainy.
Clubbing is better in Shibuya than Roppongi (at least thats what I think). Be warned that it is usually expensive to get in the door (usually around 2000 yen) and you get two drink tickets or something usually.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Dec 7th, '06, 22:38

ying82 wrote:
ephesus wrote:When are you going to be in Japan? I'll show you around ...
Are u going to be in tokyo for xmas?

Just decided to go to japan from dec 21st to jan 5. What's the weather like in Tokyo compared to socal? Don't know what to pack yet.
much colder, its winter. im from new york and its much warmer than that, but much colder than so cal. be warner, the tempature shifts a lot in the winter, it could be 55-60 and sunny during the day and drop to 30 and windy at night. its not artic but dont expect summery days.

777bas777

Post by 777bas777 » Dec 7th, '06, 22:56

if you're a male, check out the capsule hostels.
Even in Tokyo they start ay 3000 yen for a night.

They best way to plan your trip is to buy the Lonely Planet Japan guide.
That will be the best investment you will ever make.
Forget about Roppongi. Roppongi is for loser-English-teachers-in-Japan.
Start looking on the internet for cool clubs of livehouses (if you're into live rock/metal/whatever).

For culture go to Kyoto, Tokyo is not the place for cultural stuff.
Cool spots in Tokyo are also Ikebukuro and Odaiba.
Other places to visit include ChinaTown and the landmark tower in Yokohama

If you want to get lost, goto Shinjuku or Ikebukuro.

But do read the LonelyPlanet, it's a good guide and it's pretty uptodate.

Riee109

Post by Riee109 » Dec 8th, '06, 03:02

777bas777 wrote:if you're a male, check out the capsule hostels.
Even in Tokyo they start ay 3000 yen for a night.
I would say that the best place to stay is a youth hostel (I've been to the Yoyogi one). t's 3000Yen per night for a member and 4000Yen for non-members. The room is really neat and anything but small (compared to other hotels of the same price). But the disadvantages are that you can only stay there 6 nights and that you have to make an early reservation.

jellybean

Post by jellybean » Dec 10th, '06, 16:59

Damn I missed Ikebukuro - what made it so special?

I think you will be safe..I'm an 18 year old girl and I travelled around Tokyo by myself this November- that included Kamakura/Enoshima too! (I wouldn't have visited that place if it wasn't for Antioch's suggestion in my other thread! So take it from a d-addict!) I didn't know much of the language and when I explained to people I couldn't speak Japanese when asking for directions they were really helpful - for example I needed to find an exchange bureau in Akihabara (as it was the only one open on a Saturday!) and this girl who was working actually WALKED me to the place even though it was RAINING! I didn't have my umbrella either! I encountered a rude guy working on the ground station in Yodobashi Camera Station, where the trains are - he worked in the Pass Office..lol BE WARY OF HIM. He was scarily rude.

Then again, I'm 'Asian' so maybe I blended in more easily - less attention was paid to me as people assumed I was Japanese, but needless to say, the gaijins I saw (apart from me) seemed pretty content.

Phearsome

Post by Phearsome » Dec 11th, '06, 10:01

if your going there alone for a month just to visit/travel how much money is good to bring for hotels/food. 'cause im planning to go to tokyo i heard it was the most expensive there.

ephesus
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ephesus » Dec 11th, '06, 11:31

By the way, the cheapest way to stay in any big city by FAR is a Manga/Internet coffee shop.
"漫画喫茶"
They give you a little mini room with an internet enabled computer, and a lazy boy (unless you pay more) and then charge you about 240 yen or less an hour, so if you stay from 11pm to 7am that's under $20 plus you get unlimited soft drinks and internet access ;p
They have showers too of course.

Phearsome

Post by Phearsome » Dec 13th, '06, 07:44

ephesus wrote:By the way, the cheapest way to stay in any big city by FAR is a Manga/Internet coffee shop.
"漫画喫茶"
They give you a little mini room with an internet enabled computer, and a lazy boy (unless you pay more) and then charge you about 240 yen or less an hour, so if you stay from 11pm to 7am that's under $20 plus you get unlimited soft drinks and internet access ;p
wow thats freaken awesome haha but i'd rather stay in a hotel or something like if friends come over etc.

canon05

Post by canon05 » Dec 13th, '06, 07:57

ephesus wrote:By the way, the cheapest way to stay in any big city by FAR is a Manga/Internet coffee shop.
"漫画喫茶"
Sounds interesting. Can you really sleep there?

Riee109

Post by Riee109 » Dec 13th, '06, 21:59

canon05 wrote: Sounds interesting. Can you really sleep there?
I've experienced it once. If you're japanese, then I think you can sleep there (you know, they can sleep everywhere!) but I had my problems with it. I shared a double-seat "cabin" with a friend and it was way too small to sleep properly. Also you can her people from the other "cabins" doing H

Phearsome

Post by Phearsome » Dec 14th, '06, 07:23

Riee109 wrote:
canon05 wrote: Sounds interesting. Can you really sleep there?
I've experienced it once. If you're japanese, then I think you can sleep there (you know, they can sleep everywhere!) but I had my problems with it. I shared a double-seat "cabin" with a friend and it was way too small to sleep properly. Also you can her people from the other "cabins" doing H
ahhahahahahahahahha thats hilarious, yea thats why i rather go to hotels. But still a great place imo

nezuzim

Post by nezuzim » Dec 15th, '06, 00:33

LOL that was really hilarious!

I will be staying in hostels to save more $$ for some shopping. Haha I will be spending a week on the bullet train moving down to kumamoto, kyoto and osaka. then back up for a week in tokyo.

Within Tokyo itself, what kind of train or bus pass should i get?

jellybean: how did you find your trip there?

KaoruKamiya: You were there to study as an exchange student?

ephesus: Haha man thanks for the offer. but too bad you're back already! Where are you from anyway?

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Dec 15th, '06, 04:36

Will you start your trip in Tokyo first before going to kumamoto, Osaka, and Kyoto before going back to Tokyo? If so read below:

The bullet train "The Shinkansen" doesn't go all the way to kumamoto, from Tokyo Station, you can go as far as Hakata Station (6 or so hour trip) , from Hakata Station there are Limited Express trains that go to Kumamoto (another 1-1.5 hrs).

Any particular reason for kumamoto? Because of its distance away from Tokyo a round trip by train would be about $368 USD Dollars.

If you do go to kumamoto, osaka and Kyoto within 7 days then a 7 day JR Railpass (not the 14 day one) will pay itself off, though a 14 day pass comes close,, as long as you make the trip from Tokyo to kumamoto then back to Tokyo via Osaka and Kyoto within 7 days you'll save more money than a 14 day JR pass.

But again that doesn't leave enough time to see each place much, unless there was something you really wanted to see in kumamoto I would drop it from the itinerary.

Otherwise once you are back in Tokyo, you should be fine purchasing regular fare tickets as you go, unless you do plan to make a few more long distance trips from Tokyo.

Phearsome

Post by Phearsome » Dec 16th, '06, 07:50

damn i just want to make some friends from japan and have them show me around when I go haha. Like my friend only took $800 to japan for his 1 month trip to japan. He stayed at his friends house and got free food n stuff haha. What i doing right now is saving up all my money from work (my family owns a restaurant) and then go on a spending spree in japan haha.

ying82

Post by ying82 » Jan 2nd, '07, 13:55

typing this from tokyo rite now. if it wasn't for the encouragement from this site, i wouldn't be having such a blast. the subway system over here is crazy though.

Romance

Post by Romance » Jan 2nd, '07, 14:06

me too, also in tokyo, and japan is probably the safest country in the world, dont worry about such things if you plan to go here

non_atteri_mai

Post by non_atteri_mai » Jan 3rd, '07, 12:44

living here for more than 2 years, I can say that Japan is one of the safest country to travel alone, what others have experienced might be isolated cases, especially if they are in the clubbing areas..

if you find the subway system a bit of a problem, just dont forget to bring a train map, a JR train map or a subway train map (there are combined ones, but its kind of hard to understand especially if your a newbie) would be a great help, it will save you a lot of time.

and if your roaming tokyo, dont forget the tokyo handy map, it lists the interesting places and more importantly how to go there! have a nice time in japan!

Keymaker

Post by Keymaker » Jan 3rd, '07, 13:07

Romance wrote:me too, also in tokyo, and japan is probably the safest country in the world, dont worry about such things if you plan to go here
*cough*yakuza*cough*

Japan is a pretty damn safe country, but I doubt it's even the safest country in Asia.

gougz

Post by gougz » Jan 4th, '07, 00:31

Keymaker wrote: but I doubt it's even the safest country in Asia.
no it's SINGAPOUR, 0 criminality

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Feb 7th, '07, 19:01

Hey everyone, I had a question about getting a cell phone in Japan. In about 2.5 weeks, I'll be going to Japan and I'm thinking about getting a cell phone. Last time I went, I got one from the airport but I hear these can be quite expensive (I didn't pay for it last time). I don't know if I heard it from here but, can you get a phone buy just using/buying temporary minutes or something along those lines? I don't want to pay a fortune.Thanks :-)

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Feb 8th, '07, 14:47

Long term or short term?

Temporary Vistors you can rent one at the airport, though often there might be a security deposit required thats is held from your credit card and released when returned (for example if you use softbank aka vodaphone), phones themselves rent for 500-1000 yen a day, then cost about 100 - 200 yen a min.

If long term its a bit harder as you'll need a Alien Registration card (ie staying longer than 90 days) and a Japanese bank account for a regular cellphone, a prepaid cellphone has similar requirements, so is usually not an option for a temporary visitor status.

When I visit Japan I often dispense of getting a phone unless i "really" needed it, otherwise email or a good old phone card and a couple of yen and a pay phone usually does the trick, plus it usually ends up cheaper that way if you're on a budget.

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Feb 9th, '07, 06:11

Good point. I was going to get one at the airport but I think I'll stick with the calling cards. Maybe I won't need one that much. I thought there was something about getting your minutes prepaid and not requiring much but I guess not. It's alright though, calling cards should be ok. Thanks for the tip. :-)

I'll only be staying for 2 weeks (15 days) by the way. So it's short-term.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Feb 16th, '07, 20:15

albertoavena wrote:Good point. I was going to get one at the airport but I think I'll stick with the calling cards. Maybe I won't need one that much. I thought there was something about getting your minutes prepaid and not requiring much but I guess not. It's alright though, calling cards should be ok. Thanks for the tip. :-)

I'll only be staying for 2 weeks (15 days) by the way. So it's short-term.
do you know anyone who can help you? as good as i can get aroudn in japan, I ALWAYS pay more and dont get as good deals. its just one of those things that has too many variables to do easily.

cel phone is great in japan if you are meeting people while there, its so crowded and hard to find people sometimes and the pay phones are so expensive. its essential fo me.

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Feb 17th, '07, 07:30

I see what your saying. Well, I suppose the people I'm staying with can give me a hand. Is there really that much to it? I'm really only going to use it like a few times. Like when I go to a different city, I'll let the people I'm staying with know where I am and stuff. I'm not really going there to meet people per say, but it could happen. I'll ask for help. Thanks . I didn't know there was that much involved in using a public phone. I guess nobody there really needs it.. :lol :-)

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Feb 17th, '07, 19:27

Payphones aren't that difficult to use, put the money in and dial, not hard at all, there are pay phones that also accept calling cards, insert calling card and dial. Even though there are a lot of people that use mobile phones, there are still payphones around and people do use em.

Payphones are expensive? Compared to paying for a cellphone rental unit each day THEN paying for the service to use the mobile phone? with insurance, and or security deposit? I don't think so.

Link-Aaron

Post by Link-Aaron » Feb 17th, '07, 22:58

spacecommand wrote:Long term or short term?

Temporary Vistors you can rent one at the airport, though often there might be a security deposit required thats is held from your credit card and released when returned (for example if you use softbank aka vodaphone), phones themselves rent for 500-1000 yen a day, then cost about 100 - 200 yen a min.

If long term its a bit harder as you'll need a Alien Registration card (ie staying longer than 90 days) and a Japanese bank account for a regular cellphone, a prepaid cellphone has similar requirements, so is usually not an option for a temporary visitor status.

When I visit Japan I often dispense of getting a phone unless i "really" needed it, otherwise email or a good old phone card and a couple of yen and a pay phone usually does the trick, plus it usually ends up cheaper that way if you're on a budget.
I totally agree when I go I usually use the pay phone. Its not that hard. :D

Hey, albertoavena who is that on your sig. just curious.

yassie

Post by yassie » Apr 2nd, '07, 21:46

WOW!! I'm going to japan myself in june and you all gave such good tips! I'm a 20 year old girl when I make my big trip! (I can legally drink in japan) I'm going for three weeks I consider myself very lucky seeing that I have 3 free places to stay one is via my kendo dojo ( I have to do kendo for 4 days non stop!) and a friends place and at a place of a family I know.

But when I go out I'll be alone I hope That I can find my way in the streets of japan!

But again great tips thank you and I wanna wish al the people who are going to japan one of these coming years a great trip! :mrgreen:

Hero

Post by Hero » Apr 16th, '07, 00:16

Im going to Japan for my 2nd time this July for 19days, last time i only went for 4days and my japanese friend from kyoto met up with me in Tokyo, it was absolutely amazing!! But we got extremely lost in Shinjuku station :s
This time i will also go to Kyoto and Osaka and Mt Fuji. Will it be good idea for me to get a 7day railpass? Coz i heard Osaka is very close to Kyoto and you wouldnt need to get the shinkansen. How far is Mt Fuji from Tokyo?

The only thing im worried about is Cathay Pacific only giving a 20kg bagguage allowance. Anyone fly Cathay pacific much? 20kg is way too low, last time i went on JAL and they give 30kg, in the end i only checked in around 28kg.

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Apr 16th, '07, 01:35

Im going to Japan for my 2nd time this July for 19days, last time i only went for 4days and my japanese friend from kyoto met up with me in Tokyo, it was absolutely amazing!! But we got extremely lost in Shinjuku station :s
This time i will also go to Kyoto and Osaka and Mt Fuji. Will it be good idea for me to get a 7day railpass? Coz i heard Osaka is very close to Kyoto and you wouldnt need to get the shinkansen. How far is Mt Fuji from Tokyo?

Its hard to say since you never said where you are starting your trip from, are you flying into Tokyo, or Osaka Kansai Airport? Are you leaving from Tokyo Narita Airport or Osaka Kansai Airport? I can't answer your railpass question unless those questions are answered.

What will you be doing at Mt. Fuji? Climbing it? If so, it takes about 2.5 hrs from Tokyo by bus to the summit.

Hero

Post by Hero » Apr 16th, '07, 10:40

spacecommand wrote:

Its hard to say since you never said where you are starting your trip from, are you flying into Tokyo, or Osaka Kansai Airport? Are you leaving from Tokyo Narita Airport or Osaka Kansai Airport? I can't answer your railpass question unless those questions are answered.

What will you be doing at Mt. Fuji? Climbing it? If so, it takes about 2.5 hrs from Tokyo by bus to the summit.
i will be flying to Narita and then hopefully go straight to Kyoto via shinkansen for a few days including Osaka whilst im in kyoto before returning to Tokyo on shinkasen again.

I dont tihnk i'll be climbing mt fuji, i planning on going on the cable car there and a boat trip round a lake next to mt fuji. I picked up a leaflet last time i was in Tokyo and they offer a full day trip to Mt Fuji for 15000yen from tokyo on shinkasen, including lunch at a hotel, cable car ride, boat trip and some sight seeing.
Or maybe i'll take the bus ride you sugggested, sounds a lot cheaper since i am a budget traveller.
thx

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Apr 16th, '07, 17:42

The area you mentioned is called Hakone, its not near Mt. Fuji and cheaper to get to than Mt. Fuji.

There's something called the HAKONE FREE PASS, it costs around 5000yen, you start in Shinjuku Station, its valid for one round trip, unlimited rides on buses, trams, cable car, boats, etc in the Hakone area. It takes 2 hrs from Shinjuku if you take the regular train. It is sold by Odakyu Railways at Shinjuku Station, so if you arrive by JR you need to go to the Odakyu Side of Shinjuku.

Let me tell you, going strait to Kyoto after arriving after a long flight from Narita Airport, is grueling. You spend 10+ hrs on an airplane, then you have to spend some 6-7 extra hours to Kyoto (that time includes, clearing airport immigration/customs/ then going into tokyo, changing trains to Kyoto). I really suggest staying a night in Tokyo to refresh.

If not, fly into Osaka Airport instead.

Also since you are a budget traveler, there are overnight and daytime buses from Tokyo to Kyoto, which run half the price of the Shinkansen, so if you are a budget traveler, take one of the buses instead.

Hero

Post by Hero » Apr 16th, '07, 19:10

spacecommand wrote:The area you mentioned is called Hakone, its not near Mt. Fuji and cheaper to get to than Mt. Fuji.

There's something called the HAKONE FREE PASS, it costs around 5000yen, you start in Shinjuku Station, its valid for one round trip, unlimited rides on buses, trams, cable car, boats, etc in the Hakone area. It takes 2 hrs from Shinjuku if you take the regular train. It is sold by Odakyu Railways at Shinjuku Station, so if you arrive by JR you need to go to the Odakyu Side of Shinjuku.

Let me tell you, going strait to Kyoto after arriving after a long flight from Narita Airport, is grueling. You spend 10+ hrs on an airplane, then you have to spend some 6-7 extra hours to Kyoto (that time includes, clearing airport immigration/customs/ then going into tokyo, changing trains to Kyoto). I really suggest staying a night in Tokyo to refresh.

If not, fly into Osaka Airport instead.

Also since you are a budget traveler, there are overnight and daytime buses from Tokyo to Kyoto, which run half the price of the Shinkansen, so if you are a budget traveler, take one of the buses instead.
Cool thanks for all the info
Im flying on Cathay Pacific so i'll be stopping over in hong kong first where i will stay for awhile before flying from to Japan (4hrs30min)

lol i thought it was Mt Fuji thanks for clearing that up and about the 'HAKONE FREE PASS'

thanks again :D

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Apr 16th, '07, 22:02

For your railpass question, if you go to Kyoto and return to Tokyo within 7 days, that includes the first day you use the Pass, then its economical. If you are not returning within 7 days (again including the day you leave for Kyoto), then it is not worth it.

Also look into highway buses, or overnight buses from Tokyo, as they cost half as much, but take longer, but you are a budget traveler.