Stop Whale Killing !!!

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Chidori-Chan

Stop Whale Killing !!!

Post by Chidori-Chan » Nov 2nd, '06, 15:08

http://wspa.org.uk/icelandwhaling.asp

Haven't we done enough to our planet, its animals and nature. ... why do people keep doing this ... :pale:

pardux

Post by pardux » Nov 2nd, '06, 15:19

:roll do you actually know how big % of the whales around iceland are being hunted.... -_-

darkchrno

Post by darkchrno » Nov 4th, '06, 10:13

pardux wrote::roll do you actually know how big % of the whales around iceland are being hunted.... -_-
I think most of us here dont know either :roll enlighten us please :lol

skachild

Post by skachild » Nov 4th, '06, 10:16

huh... whale.... we can eat whale....??? :blink :blink

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Nov 4th, '06, 10:24

Whale Steak with Green Peas

One 2lb joint of whale meat
4 dl red wine
2 dl water
15 juniper berries
2 dessert spoons of black currant cordial, cream, cornflour.

Brown the joint on all sides in a stewpan, add the red wine, water and mashed juniper berries. Simmer under lid for about 30 minutes. Place a weight on the lid. Remove the meat and wrap it in aluminium foil while finishing making the gravy.

Gravy: Add the black currant cordial to the juices in the pan. Add cream to taste and thicken with cornflower. Cut the meat in thin slices and serve with potatoes, green peas, sprouts and mountain cranberries
Now this looks yummy.

darkchrno

Post by darkchrno » Nov 4th, '06, 11:58

bugsie wrote:
Whale Steak with Green Peas

One 2lb joint of whale meat
4 dl red wine
2 dl water
15 juniper berries
2 dessert spoons of black currant cordial, cream, cornflour.

Brown the joint on all sides in a stewpan, add the red wine, water and mashed juniper berries. Simmer under lid for about 30 minutes. Place a weight on the lid. Remove the meat and wrap it in aluminium foil while finishing making the gravy.

Gravy: Add the black currant cordial to the juices in the pan. Add cream to taste and thicken with cornflower. Cut the meat in thin slices and serve with potatoes, green peas, sprouts and mountain cranberries
Now this looks yummy.
:cry: :cry:
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j55/c ... esteak.jpg[/img]

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Nov 5th, '06, 01:52

I have eaten whale a couple of times while in Japan.

I know its bad.

But oh so tasty.

bard

Post by bard » Nov 5th, '06, 02:04

In the past whaling was done for oil (especially the whale's blubber) but now I'm not so sure. I don't really think whale meat is common enough to warrant killing whales for them though.

skachild

Post by skachild » Nov 5th, '06, 05:16

im hungry already lol..... :cry: :cry:

yieebo

Post by yieebo » Nov 5th, '06, 05:56

an ocean without whales? about as fun as a planet without humans.

Kaken

Post by Kaken » Nov 5th, '06, 06:05

I wouldn't have a problem with it if they could do so in a way that was not extremely painful for the whale (imagine being stabbed with a pencil) and in a way that did not harm the overall whale population (getting an accurate statistic of the number of whales is likely difficult, and I've seen vast ranges in estimates).
However, I don't see either happening in the near future. Signed :)

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Nov 5th, '06, 08:39

I know this thread is about -stopping- whaling but uh.. reading it and seeing that tasty picture tempted me to buy whale again today. And so I did..

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 5th, '06, 15:30

i've never tried whale myself, but i guess i would if i had the chance. (no offense, chidori-chan, just saying....)

but hopefully, they'll be able to better regulate whaling internationally. i love the jp culture, but i believe they're rather notorious for whaling.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Nov 5th, '06, 15:45

@ Aulcard....hmm yum, have another one for me too....love whale meat, especially when processed in Japan....used to be a side dish for me in my growing up....they are tasty and I'm craving for it now....living in Wis. can't find any in store, so I guess it's time for a trip soon!!....sorry chidori dear, can't help you on that....

pardux

Post by pardux » Nov 6th, '06, 16:43

darkchrno wrote:
pardux wrote::roll do you actually know how big % of the whales around iceland are being hunted.... -_-
I think most of us here dont know either :roll enlighten us please :lol
FIN WHALE 25.800 around iceland.
9 or 0.04% of total being hunted, population belived to be growing by 10% a year(1989-2001, IWC scientific report 2006)

minke whales 40.000 around iceland, north atlantic ocean: 176.000
we are hunting 30

:roll

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Nov 6th, '06, 17:10

theres a lot of endagered whales which are also hunted, and the way its done its terribly inhumane. giving 2 statistics that are ok doesnt change that.

malay_tiger

Post by malay_tiger » Nov 6th, '06, 17:13

talking about whales... how about u watch this japanese ad from google video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1006991385

genius or insane??? :roll

Takekaze

Post by Takekaze » Nov 6th, '06, 17:53

It's terribly inhumane? How come? How else are you supposed to kill an animal of this size? With depth charges maybe? Or a 25mm artillery round? It's not much different to what a hunter with a rifle does, just that the harpoon is somewhat bigger. Other than that? Same thing.

It's kind of amusing though. The most protesting comes from countries that bear more responsibility for the low number of whales than Iceland, Norway or Japan. Mind you, some European and American fleets were hunting those things across the globe (and at times wildering in other country's waters). And now they all scream. Kind of pathetic, especially when considering how cattle tends to get treated in Europe and the US when being moved to a slaughterhouse (mind you, the EU still allows transports of live animals designated for meat production from, example, Poland to Italy).

Now, let's see...

In the west, we're eating cows, which are holy in India. But I remember a case in Switzerland, where someone sold dog meat (labeled as dog) and everyone screamed murder. What's the difference? Dog, cow, pig, whale, it's food, period.

And you must not forget one important thing. It was whale that fed the post-war generation in Japan (at least, it played a very important role).

I still have to try it (that and cangaroo).

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Nov 7th, '06, 00:43

Takekaze wrote:Stuff
Dude you are awesome.

I am only in general against whaling because of the overuse of the species as a resource. Hunting something into exctintion is retarded. It is the same with overfishing using massive trawlers etc. I think resources should be managed, not abused. At the same time I think completely ignoring a resource is similarly stupid.

So it annoys me when people say we should stop whaling for dumb reasons like: they are mammals. Yep.. so are cows. I have spoken to Japanese people who think that Australias consider whales sacred and that is why they oppose whaling. They were surprised for me to inform them that is a complete load of crap. Damn greenpeace and their spreading of lies!

My general opinion is that any resource should be used as long as it is not a danger to human health and is managed appropriately as not to endanger the existence of the species. Based on that of course I do think whaling should be stopped at this time. Of course.. I still eat whale occasionally.. which isnt good. But my like of food is stronger than my resource management objections :P

supermann

Post by supermann » Nov 7th, '06, 12:30

I think that whale killing should only be stopped if Americans stop eating beef(cows are sacred to indians), the French stop eating foie gras(its cruel to the duck) and the world stop eating pork(muslims view pork as dirty). Why is it that only asian countries get scrutinised for their eating habits.(yes, whaling is also practised by iceland and some european countries, but japan gets most of the criticisms) Does anyone rmber the dog meat uproar a few years back when korea got criticised for dog meat being part of their diet. I mean what's wrong with dog meat other than westerners viewing it as wrong because dogs are a westerner pet. And then the chinese got criticised for shark fins because the harvesting of the fins are cruel. If so, why is the western world eating chicken? Are they blind to the fact that these chickens got abused for their whole life?

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Nov 7th, '06, 15:28

:glare: i know japan is much more respnsible for the killing of whales than iceland. i also like how this becamse anti us (the US SHOULD STOP KILLING COWS FIRST!!). The fact is a lot of the larger whales are rare, there is nothing that comes from them that can't easily be replaced, and because of their large size and relative scarcity its easier to hunt them into extinction in a short time wihtout even knowing because they are easily affected by other things, enviornment, etc.

people dont need whale meat, whale oil, anything. killing these huge beautiful animals into exctinction to prove a point about protecting country rights is a pretty retarded point in my opinion.

most of the people in japan ive asked are pretty embarrassed by their countrie's continued killing of whale.

Prince of Moles

Post by Prince of Moles » Nov 9th, '06, 14:50

Whoa let's get some facts in first. It was the Europeans and the Americans that more or less hunted the whales to extinction in the 19th century. Why the heck were European and American whaling boats in the eastern Pacific and the Indian Ocean in the 19th century? They more or less hunted the ones in the Atlantic to extinction. (Anyone read Moby Dick? Where is Captain Ahab sailing again?)

Japan only entered the transoceanic whaling scene in the really late 19th and 20th century.

But enough about the blame game. The point is a lot of whale species are close to extinction. Those species should not be hunted.

However, there are whale species whose populations have recovered from the crash and are doing reasonably well. Hunting those whales to keep them at a stable population is fine in my opinion. (As far as I know, this is also the Norwegian, Icelandic, and Japanese government position.)

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Nov 10th, '06, 00:54

Prince of Moles wrote:Whoa let's get some facts in first. It was the Europeans and the Americans that more or less hunted the whales to extinction in the 19th century. Why the heck were European and American whaling boats in the eastern Pacific and the Indian Ocean in the 19th century? They more or less hunted the ones in the Atlantic to extinction. (Anyone read Moby Dick? Where is Captain Ahab sailing again?)

Japan only entered the transoceanic whaling scene in the really late 19th and 20th century.

But enough about the blame game. The point is a lot of whale species are close to extinction. Those species should not be hunted.

However, there are whale species whose populations have recovered from the crash and are doing reasonably well. Hunting those whales to keep them at a stable population is fine in my opinion. (As far as I know, this is also the Norwegian, Icelandic, and Japanese government position.)
Yeah. Everyone knows those details about the history of whaling. It does not concern me who did whaling and when. Like you said, the only issue of relevance is the whale species close to extinction. So of course, the countries currently whaling are of relevance, and they should stop hunting those species for the purpose of preservation.

I have also heard about the recovered populations of certain species. What concerns me is not that they get hunted (since as I said earlier a resource is there to be used) but that countries involved wont maintain a reasonable management of the resource and hunting will outpace the populations growth rate. Since that seems more or less typical of humans natural resource useage in general. Especially when it comes to the ocean it seems, I think I read in the paper recently that globally fish stocks have dropped by some significant amount, 8%? 12%? I forget.

Takekaze

Post by Takekaze » Nov 10th, '06, 09:06

Prince of Moles wrote:Whoa let's get some facts in first. It was the Europeans and the Americans that more or less hunted the whales to extinction in the 19th century. Why the heck were European and American whaling boats in the eastern Pacific and the Indian Ocean in the 19th century? They more or less hunted the ones in the Atlantic to extinction. (Anyone read Moby Dick? Where is Captain Ahab sailing again?)

Not just that, but the European and American whalers hunted whales only for one reason: fish oil. They butchered thousands, if not millions of whales, and dumped the cadavers back into the sea after getting the fish oil. They didn't care about the meat or anything else. The Japanese, even today -or so the Japanese whaling industry says- is still using what can be used from the whale.

Agreed, there are some whale species that should not be hunted, due to the fact that they are close to extinction. No doubt about that. But I'm sure there are enough species that aren't in the same situation. So, why not hunt them? I know, Greenpeace will scream murder again, but hell, they've been spewing so much crap in the past few years, they're not really a credible source for anything anymore (like their BS about genetic altered crop and their "arguments" against it, anyone with basic knowledge of genetics should scratch his head at their statements).

I still find the hypocracy, especially from the Europeans, somewhat amusing. I doubt anyone of the Europeans here, who're screaming murder against the Japanese whaling, have ever seen a live animal transport inside the EU -usually coming from the poorer EU members, or bordering countries- and the condition of the animals inside. The situation has gone that far that police is checking animal transports with a government veterinarian these days (at least they do that in Germany and Austria, no idea about the other countries). I've seen it once, live, and I don't want to see it ever again. It's brutal, really.

Not to mention the cruelty towards animals in some EU countries (I only say Spain and the bullfight -as one prominent example-, which serves absolutely no purpose, where some nut abuses the instincts of the animal to look "cool" and "manly" -while anyone with a basic knowledge of animal behavior knows that it doesn't take much "manliness" to pull this anyway, the bull can not differ between the rag and the man, thus always goes for the rag- and the bull has no chance to survive it anyway -no bull makes two fights, because in their second fight, they'd know the difference between the man and the rag and the great "manly" matador would have no chance to survive that one; how brave, isn't it).

And well, it's kind of comfortable commenting about it from a country that's not extremely dependant on the fishing industry to feed its people. Not to mention that it's always easier to point at the faults of others than admitting your own.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Nov 10th, '06, 15:10

i think we all need to get off this BUT THE AMERICANS (EUROPE JAPAN WHATEVER) did it before too. who cares. i hate when people say something valid, and someone else says WAIT, THE AMERICANS DID THIS BEFORE. who cares! killing an endangered spieces makes no sense, and if the US did it before, then bully on my country and we should be ashamed BUT how does this affect what others should do now?

none of the large whale spieces have recovered to anywhere close to a level that hunting them again should be encouraged, especially since they honesfly don't provide any resource that can be gotten elsewhere, and most likely cheaper.

Prince of Moles

Post by Prince of Moles » Nov 10th, '06, 16:14

At least 2 species have recovered for some minor hunting. The stats were listed in the previous page. If people want to eat those 2 species, let them.

No logical argument has come forward to make me change my opinion on this.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Nov 10th, '06, 16:25

they are not LARGE. we have no disagreement. the bigger species are the endangered ones, the ones that are dragged behind the boats and left to suffocate for oil. not the smaller ones that some people eat.

Rakkie

Post by Rakkie » Nov 11th, '06, 01:14

Interesting that no one seems to have mentioned what I think is the most important point.
Here in Aus we generally consider the whale to be one of the most intelligent
animals and eating it would be repugnant and akin to eating dolphin (or do people
eat dolphin in other countries too?)

That's why some people might say Australians consider it as sacred.

The main reason we were upset at Japan was because they agreed to a quota on hunting whales and then vastly exceeded it by saying the rest of the killings were for scientific research. Or at least that's how the media portrayed it here.

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Nov 11th, '06, 03:16

Rakkie wrote:Interesting that no one seems to have mentioned what I think is the most important point.
Here in Aus we generally consider the whale to be one of the most intelligent
animals and eating it would be repugnant and akin to eating dolphin (or do people
eat dolphin in other countries too?)

That's why some people might say Australians consider it as sacred.
While that may be the reason some people oppose whaling, unfortunately Green Peace has managed to convince some people this is the reason Australians oppose it:

[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/A ... whales.jpg[/img]

Personally the intelligence argument does nothing for me. I wonder what dolphin tastes like...

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 11th, '06, 15:34

i was looking through my friend's old magazine collection, and happened to come across a TIME magazine article (July 3, 2006, pg38) on whaling.

i found the online version here:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 13,00.html

in the July 24, 2006 edition (pg11), there are some letters in response to the article:
Japan's whaling practices are in full compliance with the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling. Japan supports the protection of endangered whales and advocates that only abundant species be harvested sustainably. Japan's commitment to whaling for scientific research is sincere and necessary to establish the proper conservation of whales. In fact, scientific knowledge from Japan has been highly commended by the International Whaling Commission's scientific committee. As the world's second-largest donor of official development assistance, Japan provides aid to developing countries regardless of their position on whaling. That Japan is using "bribery to get its way" is a completely false accusation.
Jiro Okuyama, Director
Japan Information Center
Consulate General of Japan
New York City
and another response on the same page:
I fear that an insufficient level of detail in the article will lead readers to believe that Norway is conducting an unnecessary slaughter of endangered whales, which is far from the truth. The Norwegian whale hunt is strictly regulated and scientifically monitored to ensure a continued healthy population of the target species, the plentiful minke whale. In a country where only 3% of the land is arable, maintaining a small capability to supply a domestic source of food means looking to the sea and managing the resource carefully. HELGA, Battle Ground, Wash.

yieebo

Post by yieebo » Nov 14th, '06, 17:34

the propensity to disregard and possibly drive any given species into extinction is quite an inhumane concept to frivolously toss about, like frying up a "whale burger"... unless your idea of humane is based in vain arrogance and a false supremacy, in hopes of abusing and taming the natural world as a human virus or sorts. those who choose such a path are not far from mental cannibalism/racial genocide against their fellow mankind... "Soylent Green is PEOPLE, it's PEOPLE!!!"

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 14th, '06, 17:45

I think you should eat whatever you kill. We're omnivores, just like dogs and bears. We should kill and eat everything, as quickly as possible, before the dogs and bears get all the best parts.

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Nov 14th, '06, 17:52

talking about meat, human is especially tasty, very salty but a bit like pork. Especially those fat species that stay in front of their computers eating snacks.

And it's not an endangered species, there's plenty of them and most are uselless. :)

yummy!
pokute wrote:I think you should eat whatever you kill. We're omnivores, just like dogs and bears. We should kill and eat everything, as quickly as possible, before the dogs and bears get all the best parts.
Juust killed a spider. a hairy one... :crazy:
Last edited by 20centuryboy on Nov 14th, '06, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

yieebo

Post by yieebo » Nov 14th, '06, 17:52

ahhh, but would you like to try some Soylent Green my friend (^pokute), huh? lol, this thread is getting insane.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 14th, '06, 18:01

yieebo

Post by yieebo » Nov 14th, '06, 18:08

haha, not bad... but i hope this isn't considered SPAM? funny all the same. but i'll still not try a whale burger :glare:

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 14th, '06, 18:43

Soylent Green is SPAM?!

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 14th, '06, 18:44

I'm a vegetarian and have been one ever since I turned 8. And no, I'm not some Green Peace activist or a member of any other wacko organization, it's more the fact that the idea of eating another creature alone is enough to make me feel sick to my core.

That having said, though, I'm rather tolerant when it comes to other people - I'm a rather liberal person, so all I ask people is to not order anything that stinks of meat as aggressively as for example some sausages do, unless they really fancy the idea of me losing my appetite for the next few days and potentially puking all over their sausage dinner. Apart from that, other people can eat whatever they want, which also means I don't really mind whether they are eating whale, or octopus or what the hell ever (granted, I'd probably be squeamish around a human meat dinner...). My future husband will have to do without home-cooked meat, though. :lol

yieebo

Post by yieebo » Nov 14th, '06, 19:03

Néa Vanille wrote:I'm a vegetarian and have been one ever since I turned 8. And no, I'm not some Green Peace activist or a member of any other wacko organization, it's more the fact that the idea of eating another creature alone is enough to make me feel sick to my core.

That having said, though, I'm rather tolerant when it comes to other people - I'm a rather liberal person, so all I ask people is to not order anything that stinks of meat as aggressively as for example some sausages do, unless they really fancy the idea of me losing my appetite for the next few days and potentially puking all over their sausage dinner. Apart from that, other people can eat whatever they want, which also means I don't really mind whether they are eating whale, or octopus or what the hell ever (granted, I'd probably be squeamish around a human meat dinner...). My future husband will have to do without home-cooked meat, though. :lol
hello there, yes i too was a "type" of vegetarian for about three years, but it was for health reasons, not so much moral judgment against chomping on various animals etc... although i would hate to see certain endangered species get wiped out over something stupid like the ivory trade and so on. i do eat meat now again, but if i think about it too much it will make me loath life. when i was younger and at the dinner table i was the kind of kid that was morbid, and i tended to think too much (still do...) i would look at the baked chicken, or whatever and start picking at it, tearing it open, and seeing all the veins and sinewy connective materials of the cooked flesh and my mom would say, "what are you doing? eat it"... then i would say something like, "what are we?, i feel like we are wild beasts slobbering over our dead carcass we just attacked and killed" "chomp chomp... slurp, burb"... yes, i was rather strange.
Last edited by yieebo on Nov 14th, '06, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 14th, '06, 19:08

Okay, okay... I'll post on-topic for ONCE this year...

I have tried to become a vegetarian, but found that the vegetarian things with a similar texture to meat all had alarming flavors. I find it very difficult to get on eating things that are only mushy or crunchy. I seem to have a need to have something "chewy"... something that offers resistance beyond the initial attack. Some mushrooms do this, but they actually get chewier the more you chew them, which becomes alarming and unpleasant. There are gluten based products that have good resistance, but they are often made with insane amounts of nitrates, sulfates, or MSG, all of which make them taste strange.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 14th, '06, 19:13

Wow, what an interesting kid you were - I'm afraid my own reasons for becoming a vegetarian were a lot less phiolosophical. It pretty much started with the fact that, when my mother moved in her parents who owned a ranch when I was 8 after her divorce, my grandfather would kill pigs in the backyard every couple of months and for days after, there would be a horrible stench of pig innards wafting through the entire house and the pig's head would be hanging in the garage - yes, the GARAGE - with a huge puddle of black-red blood gathering underneath.

I lost my appetite for eating other creatures then and it is only worse now - for someone like me, who hasn't eaten ANY meat for well over 10 years, the mere sight, even thought, is stomach-revolting.

Well, at least it's helped me lose my baby fat. :whistling:

yieebo

Post by yieebo » Nov 14th, '06, 19:19

pokute wrote:Okay, okay... I'll post on-topic for ONCE this year...

I have tried to become a vegetarian, but found that the vegetarian things with a similar texture to meat all had alarming flavors. I find it very difficult to get on eating things that are only mushy or crunchy. I seem to have a need to have something "chewy"... something that offers resistance beyond the initial attack. Some mushrooms do this, but they actually get chewier the more you chew them, which becomes alarming and unpleasant. There are gluten based products that have good resistance, but they are often made with insane amounts of nitrates, sulfates, or MSG, all of which make them taste strange.
i hear you, i went through the various "attempts" to make things taste worth eating like adding SPICES galore which upset my poor tummy so very badly, peppers everywhere burning a nice spot in my belly, garlic, ginger, blah blah dried herbs of misery. trying to make tofu edible is worthy of a Noble Prize for cooking miracles. and i've never eaten pasta quite the same way either.

Néa Vanille^, wow... that would do it for me as well. for some reason your touching story makes me think of Silence Of The Lambs. i don't mean it in a cruel way, but i do have all three of those twisted movies.

well, got to go...

take care all (i obviously don't know how to edit, or post)

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Nov 14th, '06, 19:34

Néa Vanille wrote:Wow, what an interesting kid you were - I'm afraid my own reasons for becoming a vegetarian were a lot less phiolosophical. It pretty much started with the fact that, when my mother moved in her parents who owned a ranch when I was 8 after her divorce, my grandfather would kill pigs in the backyard every couple of months and for days after, there would be a horrible stench of pig innards wafting through the entire house and the pig's head would be hanging in the garage - yes, the GARAGE - with a huge puddle of black-red blood gathering underneath.

I lost my appetite for eating other creatures then and it is only worse now - for someone like me, who hasn't eaten ANY meat for well over 10 years, the mere sight, even thought, is stomach-revolting.

Well, at least it's helped me lose my baby fat. :whistling:
I remember when I was a kid I had the same problem with tuna fish and pork products. I literally could not stand the smell, site or thought of them (especially tuna fish). Once when I was 8 and on a school bus the teacher 2 seats down was eating a tuna fish sandwich and I pretty much had to force myself not to fall unconscious (seriously, not speaking as a metaphor, I was literally passing out). But when I was in college I gathered all the strength I had and tasted one tiny bit of tuna fish ... and it wasn't so bad. I still don't eat it but if I'm ever starving it wouldn't kill me. The pork thing I just got over when I grew up (I still don't eat it because I think it's disgusting).

One thing I never understood about vegetarians who are vegetarians for moral reasons though. Why is it that it is not okay to eat animals but it is okay to eat plants? Plants are also living creatures who carry all 8 functions that define a living being. The only difference: plants are easier to kill.

Now I think I'll go have some whale sushi (god that sounded disgusting).

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 14th, '06, 19:42

Most vegetarians believe that animals are different from plants because of their ability to experience the feelings of pain and fear.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 15th, '06, 03:48

i have no idea how you vegetarians do it. if i didn't have meat for a few days, i think i'd faint. but i also think if i had to watch pig slaughtering when i was eight like nea, i guess i may feel a little different. but i doubt it. i notice here in the east coast most people i meet (get it? MEET=MEAT :lol i know, i know) like their meats cooked very well. i tend to like it (nea, you can stop reading now...) a bit on the rare side. medium rare is how i order most of my steaks. some of my friends (male/female) can't stand the sight of the meat that i order. but i'm wondering how they can enjoy leather. i've never tried whale meat though, so i don't know how i'd want that prepared.

wai_muna

Post by wai_muna » Nov 15th, '06, 06:24

i dont eat whale!!!!!!!!!!

blue_smurf

Star News Asia: Dolphins being killed in Japan!

Post by blue_smurf » Nov 1st, '07, 15:13

Star News Asia: Dolphins being killed in Japan!

I'm still very disturbed by what Star World Asia with Deborah Kahn reported few hours ago about dolphins being slaughtered/massacred in a place in Japan by some Japanese fishermen :cry: I hate animal brutality, and I hate what I saw how these heartless fishermen killed some of the endangered and most gentle mammals in the world, saying dolphins can be killed like ordinary fishes. However, what I saw wasn't just ordinary dolphins being killed like ordinary fishes coz it was bloody! The dolphins' noses were bleeding from beatings :cry: How can they do this to these gentle creatures? :cussing:

A group of foreign divers, one of them is the actress who played the cheerleader in Heroes, tried to stop the fishermen, but the latter were adamant and fierce that they scared away the former :-( Some of the dolphins were babies, and the divers saw some of the baby dolphins bobbing their heads, prolly asking for them to be rescued :cry: It broke my heart :cry: and so did the divers.

I thought that with the world's awareness in preserving endangered species and respecting animal rights, such practice is banned especially in developed countries, where there is more awareness.
Shouldn't the government of Japan do something about this?

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Nov 1st, '07, 19:10

LoL! I saw a youtube video of so called "Japanese dolphin killers" couple of years back, the stupidity of some outraged comments there made me laugh.

1. Japan is one of most environmentally conscious country in the world, and endangered animals are very hot issue there, it's impossible any endangered animals are hunted for food there. There are many kinds of dolphins, these dolphins probably are not endangered.

2. Dolphin as food is very rare, and it's only hunted and eaten in few islands. Outsiders have no right contesting their culture and tradition just because it disturbs them.

3. The clip you have seen is possibly very old. Japan has a very high cleanliness standards, and there is no way dolphins are still dragged by a truck leaving a trail of blood today. In fact, they may have been paid to do that just to make it more visually shocking. Don't believe everything you see on TV.
Plus, how do you kill some animal without leaving blood? All animals slaughtered must leave a pool of blood somewhere. Just because you haven't seen it don't mean they don't happen.

4. Japan is not the only country dolphins are hunted. European dolphin hunting:

5. I personally think it's stupid to think that it's fine killing animals like cows or pigs, but it's somehow "wrong" killing animals like dolphins or seals just because they are cuter. These dolphins are hunted for food too. It's not like you are making them into coat and wearing them as a luxury.
So they are cuter/harmless looking and supposedly more intelligent, but then, they are still animals, just like those in the farm.

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Nov 1st, '07, 19:32

Plus, wasn't that dolphin video only filmed in one very small town? I wouldn't be surprised if the news report that blue_smurf saw was filmed in that town too...just because one town has people who hunt dolphins doesn't mean that it's common in other towns.

moocah_11

Post by moocah_11 » Nov 1st, '07, 19:35

I personally think it's stupid to think that it's fine killing animals like cows or pigs, but it's somehow "wrong" killing animals like dolphins or seals just because they are cuter.
Dolphin as food is very rare, and it's only hunted and eaten in few islands. Outsiders have no right contesting their culture and tradition just because it disturbs them.
i totally agree with you on both points. i hate people who try to impose their own culture on another. it's condescending, and it shows the lack of respect for other cultures.

besides, food is food. some people eat bugs, and they find it yummy. why don't other people object to that? maybe they don't have much blood, they're animals like dolphins

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 1st, '07, 20:06

Well, I think there should be age group for hunting. Like hunt the grown ups but leave the kids a lone if it's for food. The baby couldn't have that much meat. It's like slaughtering a baby pig compared to a grown up. Also, if they aren't tortured and killed properly that is another issue. Usually cows and stuff aren't tortured before they die I think? Also, there's the issue of can the baby survive without the parents. Unlike cows which are grown for meat, they are taken care of at a farm and fed and not randomly chased down to kill. As opposed to a baby seal or dolphin which has to defend and feed itself once the parents are gone.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 2nd, '07, 00:29

this is similar to the whaling topic, so i'm merging....

blue_smurf

Post by blue_smurf » Nov 2nd, '07, 16:53

seirin wrote:Well, I think there should be age group for hunting. Like hunt the grown ups but leave the kids a lone if it's for food. The baby couldn't have that much meat. It's like slaughtering a baby pig compared to a grown up. Also, if they aren't tortured and killed properly that is another issue. Usually cows and stuff aren't tortured before they die I think? Also, there's the issue of can the baby survive without the parents. Unlike cows which are grown for meat, they are taken care of at a farm and fed and not randomly chased down to kill. As opposed to a baby seal or dolphin which has to defend and feed itself once the parents are gone.
exactly my point :-)
and I'd like to reiterate that my feelings on this matter neither reflect my culture nor imposition of my culture to other culture coz that's beside the point. I agree on some posts here that animals are animals, but there are animals meant for food while there are others that are not. Just because they are animals, we can do whatever we want with them. There's such a thing as animal rights, y'know...and there's a limit to everything esp. when we hunt down ENDANGERED ANIMALS. I rest my case :-)

lexuos2006

Post by lexuos2006 » Nov 3rd, '07, 16:01

lol...all those ppl who hunt for whales can only think of making a quick buck....."why hunt the older whales which are much stronger? why not hunt the smaller ones which are weaker?"...... which is why everytime i see ppl kill whales or dolphins just for their meat (no offense to ani1 in aniway), in some way i feel that god takes back what he sees is of equal value...which is why earthquakes, storms happen in some countries....

really i mean no offense to ani1....