[Discussion] 14 Sai no Haha / 14-year-old Mother

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
inutikidude
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by inutikidude » Oct 31st, '06, 06:11

i just love how all the reactions are so natural. it gets me to really think that my parents would probably react the same way if i was pregnant (im 14 btw). it hurts so much to watch how much pain the parents have to go through. and yeah i so agree that its just a puppy love. shes just a lonely gurl who just wants a boy's attention.

mhaellix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mhaellix » Nov 2nd, '06, 00:03

lol. I knew I should've kept reading this. I didn't expect the conversation too be this far since I last read.

Regarding the "suki" vs. "aishiteru", since it's really very difficult to translate and since it's very rare for a subber to translate "suki" into "I like you", I've decided to go with majority and translate it as "I love you". It just didn't have the right impact if I change it to "like", for example:

The father says, a 14 or 15 year old wouldn't seriously like someone else
Miki says "We did it because we like each other"

Like is too light, while love is too heavy, but I chose love instead.

As for the parents turning a 180 degree, I don't think it's strange or unrealistic, my younger sister got pregnant, and my mom couldn't say anything for a whole day, but next thing you know, she's by my sister's side 24/7 (and I don't think being Christians had anything to do with it, it was purely a mother's instinct)

I'll comment on the other stuff next time.

TG3

Post by TG3 » Nov 2nd, '06, 05:30

Just saw ep 4, and once again, it was very powerful. The mom was really impressive in this one. [/spoiler]

douglas2k6

Post by douglas2k6 » Nov 2nd, '06, 07:41

I think a lot of people are forgetting one of the most essential topics of the series (to me anyway), is that it only takes split second to change someone's life forever, or in this case the lust that Miki and Satoshi shared that one night. Next comes the part of taking responsibility for their actions and becoming adults.

This part hit homes for when Miki's mother

-SPOILER-

Slaps her and then hugs her saying that she is so young

-ENDSPOILER-

Great thoughtful series, one of my favs.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Nov 2nd, '06, 20:59

Just watched episode 4 and have a few comments....

(If you haven't watched episode 4 yet don't read any further....)

-
-
-

Can the people who write drama please, PLEASE lay off the random motorcycle collisions? I think I can name at least 20 dramas I've watched that have had that stupid plot twist with different outcomes. At least they spared us in this drama by having it at the beginning of the drama and not at the end in a cliffhanger type ending. That whole chunk of the episode was completely gratuitous.

I also would be much happier with this drama if they left out the whole tabloid reporter sub-story altogether. I think there's plenty of drama already with a 14 year old getting pregnant and the various social repercussions that we don't need the added drama of the whole damn country finding out and making her be the town outcast. Plus the guy is such a snake - the actor that plays him is so weird looking he almost looks like a caricature!

I hope Satoshi gets the balls to stand up to his mother, because frankly he has 0% personality and he better change soon. He's so bland - he just has zero impact. This story would be a lot more compelling and believable if he was charismatic and engaging instead of having the personality of a potted plant.

They reiterated the fact that Miki's life will be in danger through giving birth, which reinforces my speculation that something dire might happen to the baby or Miki.
Last edited by awrittensin on Nov 2nd, '06, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 2nd, '06, 22:41

I'd appreciate if you will use spoiler tags when you quote the actual contents of the drama. Some of us who don't speak Japanese need to wait for the subs before watching, and don't want the contents disclosed before then.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Nov 2nd, '06, 23:41

I'd appreciate if you will use spoiler tags when you quote the actual contents of the drama. Some of us who don't speak Japanese need to wait for the subs before watching, and don't want the contents disclosed before then.
I said at the beginning of the post that I had comments about episode 4 - if you haven't watched it yet you should have stopped reading - It's my understanding that the Jdrama discussion threads here have the assumption that they're filled with spoilers, anyway. Since we discuss the content of the episodes, we'd have to mark practically every post with spoilers. After the episode gets posted here, with subs or not, I feel it's fair game to discuss it in their respective threads. I'm not watching with the subtitles, so I'm not going to know which episodes have been subtitled yet.

I didn't even say anything spoiler-y anyway - the motorcycle thing happens in the first few seconds of the 4th episode and I didn't say how it ended up. All the other things I commented on are just general comments about the drama. Sorry if you felt you were spoiled, but I didn't feel that I included anything that warranted spoiler tags, especially since this is the drama thread. Now, if I would have said something in the torrent comments thread, that's different, and I would have spoiler tagged it. Also, if I said something major I probably would have warned or spoiler tagged it. I just didn't feel that anything I said was very spoiler-y.

But from now on I'll warn more thoroughly before commenting on episodes, and if I have anything spoiler-y I'll try to tag it.

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 3rd, '06, 00:35

Thank you for understanding my plight. Spoiler tags could be a nuisance but they do give us the choice to be 'spoiled'. :-)

haruna_hamasaki

Post by haruna_hamasaki » Nov 3rd, '06, 21:36

Can't wait for episode 5. This drama should be watched by all Junior High School students. 8)

robetella

Post by robetella » Nov 4th, '06, 04:39

Just started watching this.. and i must say it's really good!

rdoll

Post by rdoll » Nov 4th, '06, 16:48

Weird. How can most people here think that she should have the abortion? :blink What all this crap about financial support and age. There is no different whether you are 14 or 21 or 50 years old. As long as you mature enough to understand what's important to you, it's all that matters. And financial support? Her father is Assistant Director(according to the translation) so to have 1 or 2 more babies in the house is not a problem.

Anyway, I don't really care about yours opinion about abortion. Some might think it wrong, and some might think it is the right thing to do. But to think that 14 years old can't have a child is definitely wrong. They have a right to choose. Puppy love or not, they do have the right to choose. And the only thing that we can do is to support them...

EMTQueen

Post by EMTQueen » Nov 4th, '06, 22:30

Er, why should her FATHER be paying for her mistakes? If you think you're mature enough to be having a kid, you better damn well be mature enough to work a job to support your child.

blu

Post by blu » Nov 5th, '06, 19:40

I agree with EMTQueen. Like, I like how this drama is taking such a 'pro-life' approach, but some stuff just irks me.

Umm...kind of spoiler-ish, so I guess I'll use a tag.
In the past episode, when Miki was explaining to her class about why she didn't want to get an abortion, she said the reason is because she wants to 'meet this child who's inside of her.'
While I understand the sentiment, I find it completely irresponsible. She hasn't even finished her compulsory education. And at this rate she'll get kicked out of school. Aside from her young age, her lack of education is also not going to help in landing her any decent jobs. No job=no money. She can't support her kid even if she does give birth to him/her. Yeah, so her dad may make enough so that having another mouth to feed isn't that big of an issue, but if she's all like "I want to have this child no matter what", then she should be able to back it up with something. A simple romantic notion like the one she mentioned just doesn't cut it.

douglas2k6

Post by douglas2k6 » Nov 5th, '06, 20:02

I think having a child basically overrides anything else in life (including school) for the time being, and like my last post, she has to take responsibility now. I personally know people who got pregnant when they were young and still in school, and they were able to finish / go back a couple of years later and they were in worse positions than Miki is in now, so I think what she is doing is her own choice and atleast she is taking responsibilty, which is a good thing.

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 5th, '06, 22:48

Miki is in a bad situation, and whatever path she takes - giving birth vs. abortion - it will be tough on her. Some forum members assumed that giving birth is irresponsible on the grounds that Miki cannot support herself and the baby. Let's not forget that Miki is too young to be independent, and still needs support from her parents anyway. There are lots of young, or not so young, persons living with their parents because they are not able to find a job. If Miki was one of them at the age of, say, 25, would you still describe her as irresponsible?

I'm just saying that IMHO Miki is taking responsibility, just not in the way some of us would like. Call her foolish if you must, but don't call her irresponsible.

blu

Post by blu » Nov 6th, '06, 00:56

Hmm, so maybe I'm wrong in calling Miki 'irresponsible'. But let's say the situation was different. Her parents disown her and kick her out of the house for wanting to have the child, which is a possible scenario in reality but isn't discussed as a possibilty in the drama. Would having the child still constitute as 'taking responsibility for her actions' then?

Okay...before I start getting hate-spam, I want to clarify that I'm not pro-abortion or whatever. People have choices. Miki made hers. I just wonder if the character truly understands the reprecussions of her decision.

On a side note, I could really have done without the whole tabloid reporter sub-plot thing. There's enough drama already without it imo. But I guess it'll be interesting to see how things turn out.

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 6th, '06, 01:16

As you rightly pointed out Miki has made a choice, and has to live with it.

If her parents throw her out, THEY are the ones that are irresponsible. Children don't always behave in the way we wish, but there is no reason to drop them like inanimate possessions.

I don't think hate-mails are in order - we have been discussing this plot in a civil manner, agreeing to disagree. :roll

I'm with you on the reporter. It's not so much the plot I hate, but the guy. :x
Last edited by thtl on Nov 6th, '06, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Nov 6th, '06, 03:18

I keep waiting for someone to say the line that's in every drama involving children or babies - 「あたしの赤ちゃんは何の罪もない…だから産みたいの」

and I think that's true - it's not the baby's fault that it would be conceived by a 14 year old - it hasn't committed any sin so why should it be punished by taking its life away? (I'm pro-choice as well, so I'm not saying it's always wrong to have an abortion) I hear that line so often in drama that I just had to mention it. I think Miki will have the baby just because of that whole idea, but I'm stilll anticipating at LEAST one near-miscarriage. You know it'll happen - every time someone's pregnant in drama there's that scene when they have terrible stomach pain and blood starts dripping down their leg --;;

I doubt she'll actually miscarry though, although I still wonder if she'll lose her life by giving birth to the baby. I can picture her hanging on just until she sees the baby's face and then saying "I was born to meet you...." and then croaks.

I really do hope there's a postive ending though.

EMTQueen

Post by EMTQueen » Nov 6th, '06, 04:20

It doesn't matter the age: if you are in some sort of position where you are either unemployed or working a job that barely pays the bills (some single, childless people do live paycheck to paycheck), it's irresponsible to have a baby. Just to get the kid to 18 (and this just pure basics: food, clothing, diapers, etc.) is going to set you back around $500,000. Add on medical bills, toys, the extra usage of utilities, college, etc, you're looking at $1,000,000 easy. And that's just going to increase with inflation and all that good stuff. God help you if a horrible accident or debilitating disease happens to the kid.

There's also the fact that any freedom you have now goes bye-bye. No social life, no personal downtime, no sleep, the screaming, the crying, the 3AM feedings, the 20 diaper changes a day. It's not all sunshine and Kodak moments, happy clean babies smiling and giggling. The romantic fantasy is very different from the reality.

There is a lot you have to forfeit in your life and if you are not willing to do that or are not ready for that, then you should not be reproducing that that point in time. Childrearing is not a decision to be taken lightly, but unfortunately, some people spend more time weighing the pros and cons of buying a car than having a kid.

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 6th, '06, 06:15

EMTQueen wrote: There is a lot you have to forfeit in your life and if you are not willing to do that or are not ready for that, then you should not be reproducing that that point in time. Childrearing is not a decision to be taken lightly, but unfortunately, some people spend more time weighing the pros and cons of buying a car than having a kid.
You are absolutely right. I don't have children, and not planning on having any. I have to restrain myself from killing my sister-in-law's kid whenever the damn brat goes near me, and I don't even have to feed him. Raising kids ain't no laughing matter. :cussing:

YamapisWifey

Post by YamapisWifey » Nov 6th, '06, 07:08

thtl wrote:You are absolutely right. I don't have children, and not planning on having any. I have to restrain myself from killing my sister-in-law's kid whenever the damn brat goes near me, and I don't even have to feed him. Raising kids ain't no laughing matter. :cussing:
wow the kid is that bad? O_O hehe
rdoll wrote:]Weird. How can most people here think that she should have the abortion? Blink What all this crap about financial support and age. There is no different whether you are 14 or 21 or 50 years old. As long as you mature enough to understand what's important to you, it's all that matters. And financial support? Her father is Assistant Director(according to the translation) so to have 1 or 2 more babies in the house is not a problem.

Anyway, I don't really care about yours opinion about abortion. Some might think it wrong, and some might think it is the right thing to do. But to think that 14 years old can't have a child is definitely wrong. They have a right to choose. Puppy love or not, they do have the right to choose. And the only thing that we can do is to support them...
ok a child having a child isn't wrong but as long as you mature enough to understand what's important to you, it's all that matters? Yeah, right. reality is more harsh than you can imagine. I'm not sure if you realize this, but money is what puts food on the table, you need food to live, you know this right? To live in health, you need wealth. and what if her father isn't some assistant director but a low income family or even divorced parents? What is lil miki going to do about the baby then? What kind of a world will the baby be raised in? In poverty? You should not deprive a child of its needs right? Maybe adoption? Yeah thats really fair for the baby. She has only lived 14 years for abortion sake..what kind of possible wisdom or experiences can she have gained in 14 years? What kind of mother would she be then? 14 years old do not have the capability to raise a child. And quite honestly, that's just plain sick..but different societies may have different views.. But anyways, it's all their choice. If 14 year olds want to have babies, then fine whatever, but they will probably live to regret it once they live through the consequences. hah.

EMTQueen

Post by EMTQueen » Nov 6th, '06, 16:06

thtl wrote:
EMTQueen wrote: There is a lot you have to forfeit in your life and if you are not willing to do that or are not ready for that, then you should not be reproducing that that point in time. Childrearing is not a decision to be taken lightly, but unfortunately, some people spend more time weighing the pros and cons of buying a car than having a kid.
You are absolutely right. I don't have children, and not planning on having any. I have to restrain myself from killing my sister-in-law's kid whenever the damn brat goes near me, and I don't even have to feed him. Raising kids ain't no laughing matter. :cussing:
Yeah, I don't plan on having kids either. Adulthood is already bringing more responsibilities I need to deal with and kids are just another (bigger and more expensive) complications.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Nov 6th, '06, 19:12

OMG...I cannot believe somebody here is saying that it's okayfor a 14 yrs old to have a child just as long they are mature enough...YIKES!

1) Having a child at 14 can harm or kill the mother.

2) She has no income and relying on one's parents is not mature. Why do you think the parents went crazy, especially the father? Only the parents know the true financial situation and that's why the father who brings in the money has vains popping out of his head. To say that one's parents can take care of the baby is the utmost level of immaturity and totally unfair to the parents.

3) If she was mature, she wouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place. She was surprised that she got pregnant....that's mature?

Yes, she has a right to choose, just as she has the righ to walk on her knees...but come on!

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Nov 6th, '06, 20:31

3) If she was mature, she wouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place. She was surprised that she got pregnant....that's mature?
I'd be pretty damn surprised if I got pregnant from just holding hands, too! :lol :lol :lol

YamapisWifey

Post by YamapisWifey » Nov 7th, '06, 08:24

just finished watching ep 4..way better than ep 3 >_>
i like the parents. they were great in brother beat and they are great in this series.

but just WHAT is that baka miki thinking..JUST WHAT in the world is she thinking...i just don't understand,..poor parents seem to be good parents but unfortunately they bore a black sheep. funny series.

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 7th, '06, 08:38

YamapisWifey wrote:..poor parents seem to be good parents but unfortunately they bore a black sheep. funny series.
Think of it this way - may be they have done their job so well, Miki is thinking more independently (i.e. matured) than they expected. :roll

chocoholix

Post by chocoholix » Nov 7th, '06, 18:06

I fail to see why see has to drop out of school!

… no one should ever be deprived of their right to education. Nor should her school of classmates take away that right from her.

It saddens me from the preview of ep5 that she made that decision

For to me, education is the only hope she has left going for her. At 14, without even finishing her compulsory education, there is little that holds hope for the future. At least by continuing her education she has hopes of maybe to get hold of her life again, get back on the right tracks and ever providing better for her child later in the future.

awrittensin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by awrittensin » Nov 7th, '06, 20:02

I fail to see why see has to drop out of school!

… no one should ever be deprived of their right to education. Nor should her school of classmates take away that right from her.

It saddens me from the preview of ep5 that she made that decision

For to me, education is the only hope she has left going for her. At 14, without even finishing her compulsory education, there is little that holds hope for the future. At least by continuing her education she has hopes of maybe to get hold of her life again, get back on the right tracks and ever providing better for her child later in the future.
She probably is making the decision to drop out before she gets expelled. She's going to a very exclusive all-girl's school where the tuition is probably super high and the other girls belong to very good families. Basically, the school feels that they have a right to expel her because she did something against their "code," if you will. There's no way they would allow a pregnant 14 year old to wear their school's uniform and attend classes. If anything, the PTA, who controls basically everything in the school system in Japan (because the schools get their donations from the families, so the PTA uses their money as leverage) definitely wouldn't stand for it. As one of the girls alluded to in ep 4, just because Miki got pregnant, they don't want their school to have the reputation of being full of "loose" or "easy" girls.

In Japan you can get expelled from school for doing lots of things that you wouldn't get expelled for in other countries. Just like you can get fired in Japan for doing something socially irresponsible or in the company's eyes, "undesirable." They don't have to give you a reason, they can make up one. It's totally corrupt, but that's just the way it is.

So I assume Miki wants to just pull herself out of school first before she gets the humiliation of being expelled.

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 7th, '06, 23:11

awrittensin wrote:
In Japan you can get expelled from school for doing lots of things that you wouldn't get expelled for in other countries. Just like you can get fired in Japan for doing something socially irresponsible or in the company's eyes, "undesirable." They don't have to give you a reason, they can make up one. It's totally corrupt, but that's just the way it is.

So I assume Miki wants to just pull herself out of school first before she gets the humiliation of being expelled.
You are absolutely right about the social 'practice' where such things are concerned. As to Miki's decision
I am not sure she wants out to avoid humiliation. She is feeling remorse toward the possible consequence on her school and schoolmates from her decision. I think she's pulling out to apologize.

303aegiszx

Post by 303aegiszx » Nov 8th, '06, 16:58

goygakgoy wrote:OMG...I cannot believe somebody here is saying that it's okayfor a 14 yrs old to have a child just as long they are mature enough...YIKES!

1) Having a child at 14 can harm or kill the mother.

2) She has no income and relying on one's parents is not mature. Why do you think the parents went crazy, especially the father? Only the parents know the true financial situation and that's why the father who brings in the money has vains popping out of his head. To say that one's parents can take care of the baby is the utmost level of immaturity and totally unfair to the parents.

Yes, she has a right to choose, just as she has the righ to walk on her knees...but come on!
It's called morals and values. Just because you think it is wrong, that does not mean everyone else has to think it's wrong. Maturity does not come at a certain age. There are people over the age of 20 yet they still act like a child. There are 12 year olds who are mature as well. To be taken in by what your society believes is to live how they want you to live.

shinhaku

Post by shinhaku » Nov 9th, '06, 01:45

shouldn't we get back to the main purpose of this topic (discussing the series) rather than arguing about whether a 14 yr old girl who got pregnant its right or wrong? If you dont like it then you should ignore this topic. Everyone has his/her own view of different things so there's no right or wrong. I think this series severs the same purpose as the KR movie Jenni and Juno. It might not be realistic but the sereis itself is trying to tell the younger generation to have responsiblity of their own actions and to face hardship if there's any instead of running away from them (especially when it comes to teenager got pregnant)

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Nov 9th, '06, 01:52

No, it's called being STUPID!

It has nothing to do with taking in what society believes. Young girls who have children are more likely to be poor, to get dumped by their partners, to be less educated, to die or be harmed from being pregnant and giving birth, etc. You list everything that is considered the bottom of society and those young girls are most likely to be there.

As for moral values...rarely will that ever be labeled for young ppl who do such things. Yes, there are 20 yrs old who are immature, but they are grown ups that can easily transition into a life of responsibility on their own, while minors cannot.....that is why they depend on their parents. Without their parents, they are nothing! Don't give them this they are mature BS, don't give them credit cuz it's their parents who are doing everything. There are millions of immature adults who easily got on track on their own to take care fo their children...I never heard of a minor who did that on their own...cuz they can't.

Sorry..to relate this to the drama...she's not mature. She had sex and was surprised to find out that she's pregnant. She wanted to get an abortion when her bf didn't want to have it...then she ran away. She was all confused...she's not mature!

303aegiszx wrote:
It's called morals and values. Just because you think it is wrong, that does not mean everyone else has to think it's wrong. Maturity does not come at a certain age. There are people over the age of 20 yet they still act like a child. There are 12 year olds who are mature as well. To be taken in by what your society believes is to live how they want you to live.

inutikidude
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by inutikidude » Nov 9th, '06, 02:26

she cant even take care of herself so how does she expect to take care of a helpless baby?

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 9th, '06, 02:58

inutikidude wrote:she cant even take care of herself so how does she expect to take care of a helpless baby?
Isn't the whole point of this drama is to 'explore' how a 14-year old can become a mother?

I'd like to clarify that my definition of 'becoming a mother' goes beyond merely giving birth. Preparing for the birth, mentally and physically; and caring for the baby is part of the job.

TG3

Post by TG3 » Nov 9th, '06, 03:44

Getting back to the topic, I just saw Ep 5, and the mom and Miki continue to impress me. Satoshi's mom continues to be a major b*tch, but just watch, I think she'll have some semblance of "good" in her by the end of it. I don't think we've quite seen the last of Satoshi.

rdoll

Post by rdoll » Nov 9th, '06, 13:27

shinhaku wrote:shouldn't we get back to the main purpose of this topic (discussing the series) rather than arguing about whether a 14 yr old girl who got pregnant its right or wrong? If you dont like it then you should ignore this topic. Everyone has his/her own view of different things so there's no right or wrong. I think this series severs the same purpose as the KR movie Jenni and Juno. It might not be realistic but the sereis itself is trying to tell the younger generation to have responsiblity of their own actions and to face hardship if there's any instead of running away from them (especially when it comes to teenager got pregnant)
Don't worry about them so much. They just don't understand that some people has a different different view on this world. It's not like they are wrong anyway. When you are 14 years old girl who got pregnant and decide to give a birth to the baby, there's only 2 kind of people around you. The one who despise you and the one who support you. I just choose to be the one who support, that's all. But that doen't mean that the one who despise is wrong. It just a different perspective, afterall.

* Currently downloading ep 5.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Nov 9th, '06, 23:54

I don't understand the debate on the theme of the show, if you don't like it don't watch it o_O

Anyway, I find the show a breath of relief and an original that I really enjoy. I watched the first five episodes today and I'm simply in love with the series. Its so powerful and promotes a message... a powerful message to the youth. Its a tragic love story yet it gives away a message; the two most unlikeliest teens end up becoming parents at such a young age.

Its not only sending a message to the youth about teenage pregnancies, its also giving a message to the parents of Japan who have turned parenting into the hands of the educational system than in the home.

I can't wait for the next episode, it looks awesome.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Nov 10th, '06, 06:35

I think some of you are looking at wrongly. I don't like the idea that ppl are getting killed left and right in Saw....but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. What ppl are debating about is how some ppl see nothing wrong with a little girl having a baby. They think she's mature, even though she's totally confused about everything and totally depending on her parents.

I really like how the school system is set up in Japan through the show. We love to say it takes a village to raise a child when we are benefiting, but if they disagree, we want school out. I wish America was more like this.

I think this drama is really realistic. I feel that Shida Mirai's character has become so unlovable....nobody is really loving her. She was so adorable in "Queen's classrom" and the first episode, but now I just want to choke her...haha. Good acting.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Nov 10th, '06, 06:43

Satoshi annoyed me throughout this whole drama. He's too emo and flat and boring and its like " Dude, you're a dad! ". I was surprised when he actually reacted in ep 4. Compared to Miki, Satoshi is far worst.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Nov 10th, '06, 18:07

Yeah, so far, up to episode 4, he's an a-hole. Unfortunely, the drama is capturing the reality where the girl is always creating a great guy in her mind when in reality, he's a bum. He acted like he wasn't surprised that she got pregnant...kinda like she's irrelevant.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Nov 10th, '06, 19:28

goygakgoy wrote:Yeah, so far, up to episode 4, he's an a-hole. Unfortunely, the drama is capturing the reality where the girl is always creating a great guy in her mind when in reality, he's a bum. He acted like he wasn't surprised that she got pregnant...kinda like she's irrelevant.
Yeah. She protected him and everything and he simply blew it off like it was nothing. Though, I guess her thinking is on the fritz because of her pregnancy. I mean, when a woman is pregnant, their hormones are on an all time high. So they have mood swings and all that jazz... so a lot of it is due to the pregnancy as well.

But I still think he sucks. He has 6 more episodes to redeem himself or I'm laying the smack down on emo boy from the prestigious academy.

afroken

Post by afroken » Nov 12th, '06, 15:17

I'm 14 years old and I got quite scared by watching this.
Then later when I held my sisters baby I felt extremely weird.

XD

This girl looks like a baby and I don't get how they could get turned on just by that? I can imagine a girl and a guy dating eachother that looks like them but not people like that having sex, because she just looks too young.

I want to continue to watch this drama, it's really interesting and all, but it does scare me a bit.

Only watched epi 1 so far.

colline

Post by colline » Nov 12th, '06, 15:38

I really like this drama although It's difficult to believe that a 14 year old girl wants to raise a baby.
I hope we will go on to see The father of the baby because I like very much this caracter. Hope it would be an happy end too.
I don't really understand why Miki wants to break up with her lover and why she doesn't want to raise the baby together with him. It's a strange behaviour....

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Nov 13th, '06, 16:54

I believe one can, because in my years of High school.... a large percentage of freshman and sophomores (who are the age range of 14 - 16) were pregnant. Some came back to school because their mothers took care of their babies or some stood home and decided to raise their baby and forget school (or do the local night adult high school... or simply get a GED)

YamapisWifey

Post by YamapisWifey » Nov 15th, '06, 05:40

Ladymercury wrote:I believe one can, because in my years of High school.... a large percentage of freshman and sophomores (who are the age range of 14 - 16) were pregnant. Some came back to school because their mothers took care of their babies or some stood home and decided to raise their baby and forget school (or do the local night adult high school... or simply get a GED)
Yes, its not strange to hear that 12-13 yr olds have lost their virginity already around here. This new generation is a horny one >_> with hello kitty thongs for little girls, what are they thinking...

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Nov 16th, '06, 07:45

just saw episode 5. WIERD! Why break up? When is he gonna grow some balls? Why does she like him so much?

rdoll

Post by rdoll » Nov 18th, '06, 11:08

This thread felt so empty when nobody argue anymore. :whistling: Anyway, just watched ep 6 raw. I only understand 50% of it but damn, with the pace they are going right now, this drama definitely will end with someone being born or dead. We will never get to see how Miki's life after she gives the birth. It's too early to say that this drama should have a second season but I think it's quite interesting to see her life after she gives the birth.

filya

Post by filya » Nov 20th, '06, 13:01

Hello everyone.

I am curious, did anyone notice that a girl from street gang [img]http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/6586 ... ei3.th.jpg[/img] is Yanagizawa Mayuna? Is there some plotline or just coincedence?

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 20th, '06, 13:16

filya wrote:Hello everyone.

I am curious, did anyone notice that a girl from street gang is Yanagizawa Mayuna? Is there some plotline or just coincedence?
If I remember correctly she was explicitly shown in the footage. I think this was part of the plot, leading to some sub-plot in future episodes.

suketa

Post by suketa » Nov 21st, '06, 17:21

This is great drama. Plot may seem simple, but yet each episode is very interesting and I enjoy following the story. The only thing I do not like is the actor who plays Miki's father. I have seen him in "Hotaru no Haka" today, and I jut dislike him. He looks like frog and his acting is terrible...

filya

Post by filya » Nov 22nd, '06, 12:02

suketa wrote:He looks like frog and his acting is terrible...
Maybe it is his strong point, to be such unpleasant but still nice person?

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Nov 22nd, '06, 14:22

I think cracking on his looks is too far. Everybody wants to be beautiful...but most ppl aren't. Can't hate a person for looking the way they do. I personally think he's a great character. Most fathers just seem to be in the background while he stands out more and has become a outstanding character, not cuz of his script, but him as a person.

I'm currently watching "yan papa aka young father" and he's in it. He doesn't seem to be in the show as much, but the parts he's in, it's so memorable.

Rokawa

Post by Rokawa » Nov 22nd, '06, 14:33

Watch him in Gokusen :D
Him and Nakama Yukie stands out

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 22nd, '06, 22:25

suketa wrote:The only thing I do not like is the actor who plays Miki's father. I have seen him in "Hotaru no Haka" today, and I jut dislike him. He looks like frog and his acting is terrible...
You don't have to like him but I doubted if you are qualified to pass judgment on his acting abilities. Namase is actually one of the better actors in Japan. He is almost always in a supporting role so he didn't get the glamour - doesn't mean he is not good.

mhaellix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mhaellix » Nov 23rd, '06, 04:42

suketa wrote:This is great drama. Plot may seem simple, but yet each episode is very interesting and I enjoy following the story. The only thing I do not like is the actor who plays Miki's father. I have seen him in "Hotaru no Haka" today, and I jut dislike him. He looks like frog and his acting is terrible...
I've definitely have seen him a lot, and I respect him, he's part of Brother Beat, too, if I'm not mistaken.

I, too, think he's acting really well.

Sarki

Post by Sarki » Nov 24th, '06, 22:56

So, even if not related to the drama at all (which is still being very good...maybe not as excellent as I though after watching the first ep, but still a joy to watch)...Today I came across with a personal website of someone who apparently had an abortion and seems like she was regretting it.

Of course I can't tell how much real it was, but it gave me the idea that there might be many people who decide to have an abortion and regret not having meet his children later...

emrams

Post by emrams » Nov 24th, '06, 23:06

mhaellix wrote:
suketa wrote:
This is great drama. Plot may seem simple, but yet each episode is very interesting and I enjoy following the story. The only thing I do not like is the actor who plays Miki's father. I have seen him in "Hotaru no Haka" today, and I jut dislike him. He looks like frog and his acting is terrible...

I've definitely have seen him a lot, and I respect him, he's part of Brother Beat, too, if I'm not mistaken.

I, too, think he's acting really well.
He was the Principle in Gokusen too. He is a really good actor and I like him a lot. I think he is one of the best parts of the show. Even if one does not necessarily like his character, he is still a really good actor. I thought that he could only do comedy roles after seeing in Gok. and BB. But he is so awesome in this. He is really good at being emotional.
So, even if not related to the drama at all (which is still being very good...maybe not as excellent as I though after watching the first ep, but still a joy to watch)...Today I came across with a personal website of someone who apparently had an abortion and seems like she was regretting it.

Of course I can't tell how much real it was, but it gave me the idea that there might be many people who decide to have an abortion and regret not having meet his children later...
Is it possible to not turn this in to an ethical debate? Thank you.

suketa

Post by suketa » Nov 25th, '06, 00:17

Maybe it's also little bit far from the topic, sorry, - but I'd just like to say, that I gave birth in Japan this year and my looks are like about 14-year-old girl, though I'm 23. Even in Japan, where girls look very young, me as a foreigner, I've been told I look much younger for my age. So everywhere I went with my big stomach, I worried that people might look at me strangely like they did at Miki in episode 7 at the "maternity class". But I was surprised, that nobody did so. I wonder - was it because people in Japan are polite and don't express real thoughts so often, or - was it because young mothers are more and more common in Japan? Definitely not this one, I guess, as I've never seen such young mother here and this drama was made to quite shock or surprise the audience.

James_yka

Post by James_yka » Nov 25th, '06, 00:24

It might just be that their live is very hectic and they dont even bother about others live...
Cos even if there was a snatch theif or even an accident... they will just walk thru and tend they dont even saw it...
Thats what i heard tho... no really sure why...

nakanokimi

Post by nakanokimi » Nov 26th, '06, 21:44

What a great show. Shidai Mirai is apparently not even 14 herself yet, and she can act this part so well. Wow.

I was wondering if part of the idea of this show is to encourage Japanese to have more babies, which will be necessary if their population is not to shrink quickly over the next few decades.

As for a 14-year-old having a baby, I agree that it's fairly stupid, but that doesn't mean I don't feel Miki's feelings toward the "baby" and toward Satoshi. "I want to meet it." Makes sense to me. A beautiful, mysterious feeling.

Yeah, Satoshi can be pretty frustrating. The end of ep7 drove me crazy, as a matter of fact. But I also understand why she fell in love with him: he's handsome, smart, kind, manipulable, and a year older than her. And I have high hopes that he will let love and a sense of responsibility overcome his diffidence and his irresistible-force mother.

The breaking up seemed a bit much, but it makes some sense, since there really isn't that much he could do for her or the baby -- except get an education. But I think it is mainly there for dramatic effect. Works on me, I have to say.

I find the magazine editor loathsome and fascinating. I expect him to eventually realize that he is being a bad person and that he doesn't understand the situation at all. The idea of a creep like that prating about morality and Japanese society is hard to take.

I hated Miki's father at first -- both his reactions and his acting. But I've come to like both as the show progresses. Is it reasonable for both parents to be so supportive? Well, for one thing, the mother is the stronger person of the two, so eventually he will come round to her way of thinking. And Miki's determination -- unrealistic as it may be -- makes her seem stronger than either of them. It probably gives her a thrill to be in control: if she doesn't want an abortion, they can't force her to have one. But she's learning the consequences....

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 26th, '06, 23:04

suketa wrote:...I've been told I look much younger for my age. So everywhere I went with my big stomach, I worried that people might look at me strangely like they did at Miki in episode 7 at the "maternity class". But I was surprised, that nobody did so...
The Japanese are rather good at not trying their display their emotions/thoughts, especially in front of a gaijin.

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 26th, '06, 23:11

nakanokimi wrote:I was wondering if part of the idea of this show is to encourage Japanese to have more babies, which will be necessary if their population is not to shrink quickly over the next few decades.
I think the producer wants to serve two purposes with this drama - to alert teenagers the danger of unchecked passion (at least take the time to wear a condom) and the discourage abortions. Apparently Japanese women has a tendency to use abortion as a means of contraception.
I find the magazine editor loathsome and fascinating. I expect him to eventually realize that he is being a bad person and that he doesn't understand the situation at all. The idea of a creep like that prating about morality and Japanese society is hard to take.
I don't like Hatano (the editor) either but that is why Kitamura Kazuki is a successful actor. In this drama he was a war correspondent, and has grown cynical seeing how Japanese youth 'misuse' their affluence - compare to teenager in war-torn zones. He is not a bad person, just a guy nobody likes.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Nov 27th, '06, 05:08

I think he's a loser. What about go with her when she went to get an abortion. What about asking her what she wants. Talk to her, support her, bla bla. So far, all I'm getting is "i'm a loser, I can't do anything"...haha. Even though it seems like he care for her by running to the airport, it's more like he couldn't deal with his own guilt...still being selfish.
nakanokimi wrote: The breaking up seemed a bit much, but it makes some sense, since there really isn't that much he could do for her or the baby -- except get an education. But I think it is mainly there for dramatic effect. Works on me, I have to say.

filya

Post by filya » Nov 27th, '06, 14:56

Not a spoiler, I suppose.

In fifth episode, what car did Kirino's mother drive? I have seen it is some Porsche Carrera, but maybe someone may say more precise?

Sarki

Post by Sarki » Nov 27th, '06, 23:02

Can't believe we're already in the 8th chapter :O

Anyway, I probably don't share this general dislikeness with the magazine editor. Like someone said, he has seen how unlucky some teenagers are and is trying to make japanese's realize that because of their easy world they are not as mature and responsible as they could be. Talking about him, in the seventh chapter...
I found it quite amusing when he gets the coffee from Ichinose, then leaves without drinking it (nor paying it) XD)
Some more serious spoiler (the one above is nothing important XD)
I was feeling quite stranged when at first they accept signing those vows, and above everything, when they refuse the money. Like, if it was black money or something. They could be a little more selfish...It's not like Satoshi didn't do anything.

Though they seem to realize it in the end, so it's OK. Wonder if Satoshi will have the guts to confront his mother...
Oh, and please, if somebody has already seen so much dramas that already knows whether he's or not going to, don't tell XD

TG3

Post by TG3 » Nov 28th, '06, 05:00

Just saw Ep 7, and here's my take on Satoshi:
He isn't gonna go away. Mark my words. They have kept him in the story way too long to just off his character by having him flee the country. It seems like he's always on the brink of taking responsibility for his actions, but then wimps out at the last second. Something will happen that will finally make him own up to his mistake and be there for Miki.
As for Miki:
I really could see her dying in the end, but I don't think that's gonna happen, because of the afforementioned narration of the story. The way the story's told kind of makes it seem like she survives the childbirth.
I really like what they've done with Shida Mirai's look. She looks older now, which I think is intentional, so as to provide a contrast with how kid-like she looked in the early episodes.

anirakarina

Post by anirakarina » Nov 28th, '06, 11:36

Anyone know what mobile phone model Mki and Satoshi uses?
Not so important. But it just came up on my mind. :P
The mobiles seem pretty nice... :P

NekoTsukimi

Post by NekoTsukimi » Nov 29th, '06, 14:17

anirakarina wrote:Anyone know what mobile phone model Mki and Satoshi uses?
Not so important. But it just came up on my mind. :P
The mobiles seem pretty nice... :P
It's sad that I signed up just to reply to this message...

But anyway, Miki's phone is the N702iS (here it is on DoCoMo's site http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/foma ... index.html )

Satoshi uses a SH702iS ( http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/foma ... index.html )

DoCoMo being the sponsor makes geeking out over the models quite simple. And speaking of cellphones... I wonder why they haven't mailed each other once yet...

cereza
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by cereza » Nov 29th, '06, 21:41

a quick question
am i allowed to post download links in here?
i've just downloaded episode 8 off winny
and i'm uploading it to clubbox
since torrent isn't out
is it okay for me to post the dl link here
once i'm done uploading?

thtl

Post by thtl » Nov 29th, '06, 23:31

cereza wrote:a quick question
am i allowed to post download links in here?
I don't speak for the moderators but I've seen links in various threads already, so I suppose it is ok for you to post a link.

filya

Post by filya » Nov 30th, '06, 12:54

NekoTsukimi wrote:I wonder why they haven't mailed each other once yet...
For example, I have a cell phone that is much more cheaper to call than to send a message. Other way, I think they just do not like to write each other. I barely may suppose what messages they could write in their 14-15 years, so they would make sense in storyline.

filya

Post by filya » Nov 30th, '06, 12:56

Nobody recognized a car of Satoshi's mom, white Porshe Carrera? I just wonder if she is very rich or extremely rich ^_~

TG3

Post by TG3 » Dec 1st, '06, 05:15

Just saw Ep. 8, and it was another great episode. This series has yet to have a "weak" episode. And given the preview for the next one, Ep. 9 is gonna be a good one, too (quite possibly the best of the series). The only thing that could ruin this series for me is a bad ending... not really bad as in sad... but just illogical or poorly executed.

I've kind of changed my mind about the 2 apparent "villains" of the seires, Satoshi's mom and the reporter. Satoshi's mom, while ruthless and shrewd, doesn't want to return to poverty and hardship for the sake of her son. She loves her child just as much as Miki's parents love her, but it's just more of a "tough" "realistic" love. She doesn't want him to suffer as she did, raising a child all by herself.

The reporter is kind of harder to forgive, since he seems to be messing around with real people's lives like it's a game. He is kind of sad in the sense that he sees no hope for Japan and its "spoiled youth." However, I think he's slowly but surely realizing that 1) even in an affluent society like Japan, there are people who are financially struggling and that 2) there are some kids that will take responsibility for their mistakes, namely Miki (and eventually, IMHO, Satoshi).

I think if there are any "villains" in this series it's the nameless background characters that shake their head and whisper behind Miki's back. Yes, she and Satoshi were dumb and made a mistake. It's over. It can't be changed. They must deal with the consequences.

NekoTsukimi

Post by NekoTsukimi » Dec 1st, '06, 05:24

I am still quite pissed off with the reporter. I haven't hated a character so much in so long. He just totally rubs me the wrong way. All money and no heart even though he's making life tough for so many people. But I guess that's to be expected from such a person.

I never did see Satoshi's mom as a villian. I felt the same way. She really did show some emotion and hurt over the situation... I hope she's happy in a good way in the end.

But wow, if I were in Miki's situation and had to deal with people EVERYWHERE whispering and giving dirty stares, I wouldn't even be able to stand on my own two feet. Nice to see such a strong character.

This is one series I don't want to see end, but I want to see the ending so badly. Miki's growth is just great for such a short period of time.

thtl

Post by thtl » Dec 1st, '06, 06:35

NekoTsukimi wrote:I am still quite pissed off with the reporter. I haven't hated a character so much in so long. He just totally rubs me the wrong way. All money and no heart even though he's making life tough for so many people. But I guess that's to be expected from such a person.
Hate him all you like but he was not "all money" - he returned the money Satoshi's mom gave him not to publish her interview. Throughout this drama Hatano has always wanted to do the 'decadent youth' special for a social reason, not monetary.