The Ten Commandments of Korean Drama

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Feb 10th, '05, 05:53

theedqueen wrote:In full house, all Ji-eun ever did with Moo-hyuk was go out and eat.
Heh, I think that's supposed to be Minhyuk. :P

To add to zdoon's comment, the 'worrying about meals' thing is also very much general Asian culture, not just Korean.

theedqueen

Post by theedqueen » Feb 10th, '05, 08:08

Jannah wrote:
theedqueen wrote:In full house, all Ji-eun ever did with Moo-hyuk was go out and eat.
Heh, I think that's supposed to be Minhyuk. :P
Oh yea ^^;, sorry I'm so not used to Korean names yet. So it's hard for me to keep certain combinations straight.

jyoji

Post by jyoji » Feb 11th, '05, 02:56

Jannah wrote:
To add to zdoon's comment, the 'worrying about meals' thing is also very much general Asian culture, not just Korean.
Yupe, that's true... The first thing that any older relative or parents ask you is "did you have your meal yet?" contary to the "how are you?" ques normally ask when you meet up with ppl in the US.

cartermariano

Post by cartermariano » Feb 12th, '05, 14:17

eheh This is incredible. Well, korean dramas are also a source of culture :D
Oh, and J-dramas too (Like Food Fight, or that drama with the girl who's lost in Japan and can never get home).

Valerie

Post by Valerie » Feb 13th, '05, 08:14

Warch Tae Guk Gi that is different =) Great movie and won bin is so cute :)

joonggook

Post by joonggook » Mar 8th, '05, 22:14

great thread! :D

i can't believe i read this whole thread, but there are other things that can be added to the 10 commandments. there's definitely always a scene at a bar or resturant where the truth comes out. there's always a obsessive love type of character and will doing nothing short of death to get the love of his/her's life. sometimes there's even familial issues like characters being half-related to each other or some combination of it. no matter how each k-drama fits the model - we still watch it cause you never know how it all turns out. :lol

Chynkinese

Post by Chynkinese » Jun 19th, '05, 03:32

rereading this thread and it still cracks me up.. wonderfully written .. thought i'd give it a bump XD

shG

Post by shG » Jul 1st, '05, 19:07

There's something else about Kdramas that's repetitive and it's subconscious conversations. For example, someone would reveal a secret through drunkeness or through sleep talking.

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Jul 1st, '05, 19:29

mtlandis wrote: 30 . When the leading actor is in despair, he turn on shower with clothes on and try to look cool.
nah, Kwang Sang Woo was shirtless in the shower in Stairway to Heaven :P

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Jul 1st, '05, 19:33

aNToK wrote:Hmm... forgot about this thread!

Kdramas seem to follow some of the same lines Shakespeare's plays: Comedies end in multiple marriages, and Tragedies end in multiple deaths (though in Kdramas, we often don't get to see the marriages. Endings are often a little too anticlimatic)
hmm.about the marriages thing, very true, how ironic. It's the opposite of HK dramas where EVERYONE gets together in the end, either b/c the couple are getting married, they're having a party/barbeque, whatever. There's always a way for EVERYONE, even the most insignificant characters to ALL get together in the end and be unrealistically happy, even though someone might have died like what, 5 minutes ago. Now that's what I call overclimatic.

tzejin

Post by tzejin » Jul 2nd, '05, 03:50

one more point to add

usually the male co-star will be the noble guy and give up the main actress(or dies) in the final few episodes so the leading stars will get together

and someone mentioned about the fact that there's always a childhood section to relate all of the characters together which i found to be quite true for the dramas i have watched so far

eg Glass Slippers, autumn tale, winter sonata

mizugameza

Post by mizugameza » Jul 26th, '05, 03:34

i so agree with the ten commandments, you never fail to see those things in a korean drama and it is just hilarious how we all know the facts but can not stop watching TT_TT our ability to resist is so weak

rel

Post by rel » Jul 26th, '05, 14:55

Ahh Damo doesnt follow all of this :p

strawberrynkiwi

Post by strawberrynkiwi » Jul 26th, '05, 17:56

i totally agree with you in ALL 10
it always piss me off cuz i know exactly whats gonna happen!!

strawberrynkiwi

Post by strawberrynkiwi » Jul 27th, '05, 02:25

sorry for double posting...

but there is one thing that ALWAYS happens in koream drama.. well as least the ones i hav watched so far....

during the story.. the girl's birthday is always made an event... usually the poor girl forgets her birthday cuz her life is so busy etc etc... then yea girl has to choose between which guy to spend it with... and so no....

PENGUINER

Funny, thread

Post by PENGUINER » Aug 1st, '05, 03:21

I like to add that they always end up at an airport in some way or another. Someone is leaving and someone is desperately trying to catch up with him or her..

And another one is that someone always comes from America after some kind of HUGE SUCESS....

This thread is so funny I thought I decided to register for the first time and add my 2 cents.

theGreat0ne

Post by theGreat0ne » Aug 2nd, '05, 10:30

iono about you guys but LATELY... theres ALOT of marriage contracts.... or something like that (well these are the ones that ive seen)

FULL HOUSE.
1 percent of anything.
wonderful life.
sassy girl.
my name is kim sam soon.

i think there are more. i just didnt have the time to watch them :D :D

and that rich guy and poor girl... is ALWAYS there. haha
Last edited by theGreat0ne on Aug 2nd, '05, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

Kaila

Post by Kaila » Aug 2nd, '05, 19:44

haha this is so interesting! I wish this was longer than just 10 commandments :lol

lucybobby

Post by lucybobby » Aug 3rd, '05, 09:01

this thread totally cracked me up!! whenever we watch kdramas, we vaguely know what's gonna happen but we watch them anyway....the slapping thing is hilarious...absolutely hilarious...
one thing that i notice about kdrama male leads is that they simply love their pink lipstick, gloss or whatever..it's like so obvious...sometimes they tend to get carried away with the "my lips is so glossy its shines with a capital S" look, they overshadow their female leads...sometimes both leads have the same color on, or worse the male lead and his posse (friends, enemies, whatever) have a battle of the glossiest lips...

jixi

Post by jixi » Aug 10th, '05, 09:40

true, true, agrees. exspecially the cancer part. i like watching k-dramas mainly cuz of the relationships, triangles the best. The Republic of Korea FIts In Buddha's Palm, this i took in lit crit class, when we wrote our own stories, the teach made us follow out the guidelines, just like the ten commandments fayenatic has. we had to include journeys, everything is connected, no such thing a coincidence, from the name to setting, must be correlated, etc. annoyed the heck outta us students! oh, add another one, tendency to stretch the series, stairway to heaven, dae jang guem, could've ended couple eps earlier but noooooooooo, there had tah b more!

debstuh

Post by debstuh » Aug 15th, '05, 05:04

--
Last edited by debstuh on Mar 9th, '10, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

nalika

Post by nalika » Sep 5th, '05, 03:16

lucybobby wrote:this thread totally cracked me up!! whenever we watch kdramas, we vaguely know what's gonna happen but we watch them anyway....the slapping thing is hilarious...absolutely hilarious...
one thing that i notice about kdrama male leads is that they simply love their pink lipstick, gloss or whatever..it's like so obvious...sometimes they tend to get carried away with the "my lips is so glossy its shines with a capital S" look, they overshadow their female leads...sometimes both leads have the same color on, or worse the male lead and his posse (friends, enemies, whatever) have a battle of the glossiest lips...

God you cracked me up......... :lol have to agreed with you........

nalika

Post by nalika » Sep 5th, '05, 03:18

lucybobby wrote:this thread totally cracked me up!! whenever we watch kdramas, we vaguely know what's gonna happen but we watch them anyway....the slapping thing is hilarious...absolutely hilarious...

God you cracked me up......... :lol have to agreed with you........

oddyellowduck

Post by oddyellowduck » Sep 8th, '05, 20:41

:lol this is a pretty funny thread.. hehe

one thing i notice from k-drama though is that... usually when there are like a guy and a girl... and they are childhood friends for so long.. dat one always likely to grows feeling for the other one and yet the other one doesn't realize it or more likely he/she likes someone else... and it will either end up... one they realize that the person they like isn't meant for them and later they will end up w/ the childhood friend... or the person he/she likes turn out be their true love... and somewhere in between the childhood friend was mad/upset and turned to the evil side... but eventually he/she comes to senses and wish the couple the best of happiness.

one more thing.. the line between love and obsession is like so thin in k-drama... we as viewers see it.. but not the character.. haha anyway.. just some thoughts.. :P

Lil_Bubot

Post by Lil_Bubot » Sep 9th, '05, 18:52

HAHAHAHA!!! I agree!!! :D :lol I thought I was the only one that noticed the thing about the men wearing LiPstick/lipgloss.. and let's not forget the blush... sometimes a little obvious!!! :lol :lol while watching, sometimes I keep wondering what kind of shade they are wearing... Not really complaining that much!!! makes their lips so kissable... sometimes , i 've notice, the women are the one's with dry lips... (just a small observation)...
All the things that has been said in this thread, is so true!!! Funny!!! but true!!! :lol
Now, i'm glad that they're starting swerve away from some of the "k-formula/ k-drama commandments, but not totally... I guess very hard to do :-)

Aye

sick of sickness

Post by Aye » Nov 12th, '05, 18:04

who the hell dies of EYE CANCER???.... ur chances are 1 in 10000000000.. and yes you have it, just like ur mother.... shall we EXTRACT UR EYES now.... :goggle:
i guess they get sick of the regular forms of cancer....
and whats with all the fevers? ive been rained on plenty of times in my life and all i suffered from was a severe case of wet...

|sUiZiD|
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by |sUiZiD| » Nov 12th, '05, 18:19

haha

I just read your post and I must say I enjoyed it a lot. While reading I remembered most of the dramas I have watched so far and I had to confirm that what you are writing here is correct.... I dont know why they do so but most of these dramas are based on the same standards, thats what makes it a little bit boring.... I am not sure If I have ever seen a drama where all main leads were poor.. there must be one, at least one?!?!?^^ Cant tell now :D

How about Ruler of your own World, as far As I remember there was not even one rich character... am I wrong?^^

and Ireland is one exception as well (Wrong again?)

luvelyasian

Post by luvelyasian » May 29th, '06, 03:15

how about there usually are two very hot-headed ppl (girl and guy) and they end up falling in love with each other.. grudgingly

there must be a scene of hot and hurried ramen eating ^^

i know there's a LOT more.. but can't think of it right now

overall kdramas have a very predictable formula and elements... most of them that is

jpoplover08

Post by jpoplover08 » Jun 8th, '06, 21:25

Although K dramas seem to follow a certain pattern we still love them. Cancer, car accidents, crazy love triangles, birth secrets, incest and all. I learned all this the hard way, becuz my first ever K drama was Stairway to Heaven. Which has all this stuff AND THEN SOME! I, personally, loved all these things. But then you know, thats me. I havent gotten tired of al this stuff yet either :P

Another thing that seems to happen in almost all K dramas is that both guys who are fighting over the same girl are or used to be sometime in the past, friends. Heck sometimes they're even brothers.

Also, that slapping thing is pretty funny. I've noticed that alot. That and also that one or both of the 2 guys in the love triangle usually throw some punches of their own, not just the girls!

Funny thread you got here, keep it up!

Connie101292

Post by Connie101292 » Aug 1st, '06, 20:03

ive watched a few kdramas and i think that it was probably jus those few dramas that had the step brother-step sister love?
Tree of Heaven...Stairway to Heaven (it still had even tho they werent meant to be)....Autumn in my Heart......i probably have watched more that has got me thinking but idk

and yes the cellphone thing is hilarious its lik OMG IM SOO POOR I DONT EVEN HAVE A PLACE TO STAY AND I CANT AFFORD FOOD but they can still always pay their cellphone bills??? thats crazy

shiny plastic

Post by shiny plastic » Aug 2nd, '06, 15:29

ONe more thing I noticed...Most of the Korean Girls love to eat a lot yet they don't gain weight.

Oh yea, and they're all drunks. If there's any sort of problem they go drinking their problems away.

And what's so good about America? I live in it and it's nothing special for random koreans to come flocking to there.

Midnight
Canada

Post by Midnight » Aug 3rd, '06, 00:23

LOL... so funny and so true. I guess that's what you get when no matter what the story is about it always boils down to the romantic relationship(s). I don't think I've seen a Kroean Drama that doesn't focus on the relationship.

coffee.san

Post by coffee.san » Aug 30th, '06, 06:01

It also MUST HAVE ALCOHOL and get drunk. Especially the rich guy o_o
OMG so freaking funny, all of this

also... there must be at least two episodes FULL of memories, crying and INTENSE THINKING. etc etc

cho09

Post by cho09 » Oct 12th, '06, 03:28

cliches are important... cliches define your art. we know its korean become of this formula... hollywood has its own formula and so does everybody else... its a sense of identity

smileytiffy07

Post by smileytiffy07 » Oct 14th, '06, 02:59

ahahah this is hilarious!

jani

Post by jani » Nov 11th, '06, 10:15

omigod...ROFL...that's so true and hilarious...yes so many stereotypes in the world of asian dramas but hey when you think about it, we probably wouldn't enjoy these as much as we do if they were any different at least i wouldn't

anglvue

Post by anglvue » Nov 14th, '06, 17:50

wouldn't it be great if there was an anti drama drama. aw, that would be hilarious. i liked that whole sticking a finger into the toaster freak accident. hahaha...

we all know how things will turn out and yet we still love watching k-dramas. who can help it? they're so addicting. hehehe

kaasbris

Re: The Ten Commandments of Korean Drama

Post by kaasbris » Dec 4th, '06, 17:58

Regarding cellphone of poor girl, I know that Korean telecom companies provide new but older model cellpones for free on the condition of using their telecom service for fixed year (say, 2). I used it once 5 years ago. Not a bad deal since cellphone model is usually 1 year older model. Also charge can be very cheap depend on service programme. (well, poor girl shouldn't call long definately ;) Anyway, the poor should work, which means they should have cell phone - I just cannot imagine a guy/girl who comes workplace without cellphone. (or at least in city)

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Dec 4th, '06, 18:21

I agree - as strange as it may seem tha a poor girl has a cell phone, in Seoul, you just can't live without a cell phone. Trust me on this one. I was without a cell phone for a few days and it drove me NUTS - this city is way too busy to survive without a cell phone, unless you like not knowing what the hell is going on half of the time. :lol

Phones there are reasonably priced, too, if you're smart.

Someone just mentioned that all leading KDrama girls eat and eat and eat yet never gain weight - yeah, I noticed that, too! Koreans seem to think it's endearing when people eat a lot. :lol Personally, I heard that like 70-80% (don't quote me on this, I just remember that it was a really high number) of young Korean women diet at least smi-regularly, so it would strange to me that we never get a more accure depiction of Korean women.

But on the other hand, it's also good. I doubt it would do the nation much good if the consens in TV shows was that it was okay to starve oneself for a stick-figure.

x-dolly-x

Post by x-dolly-x » Jan 20th, '08, 16:17

OMG--

this is ALL true....and all the leading KDrama girls when they're heartbroken because the main guy lead has done something mean to them. They-

1) Go to those small restaurant-ish places and eat, eat, eat, eat (and work up a huge bill)
2) They start drinking the alcohol that comes in small green bottles and drink drink drink drink (about 5/6 bottles)
3) Then the main guy lead nearly ALWAYS finds her and has to pay up the HUGE bill... since she's eaten and drunk so much she can't more or less STAND up.
4) She throws up/ something happens/ the main guy lead has to piggy back her home.

all in the night of a Korean Drama....

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 21st, '08, 13:08

Wow....way to dig up a thread from 4 years ago! I always though older threads were pruned every few years?