[Discussion] 14 Sai no Haha / 14-year-old Mother

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
filya

Post by filya » Dec 1st, '06, 10:34

thtl wrote:Hate him all you like but he was not "all money" - he returned the money Satoshi's mom gave him not to publish her interview.
Quite agree. I like him a lot after ep 6. He've shown a really strong man side of himself. He refused money, and after, he clearly said to Ichinose's mom that he is an author. And then, actually, made Satoshi to think about himself and his role in the situation.

nakanokimi

Post by nakanokimi » Dec 1st, '06, 22:35

Yes, I think Satoshi's mother is okay. Not that I'd want to get anywhere near a person like that, but she has good reasons for what she is doing. Even in ep8, which is another great one. I think both she and the reporter must eventually have the veils fall from their eyes and accept the love between Miki and Satoshi. I definitely give credit to both actors for their convincing portrayals. You don't hate a character whose actor isn't doing a good job.

But I do feel that the reporter's opinions seem to have materialized out of thin air, which makes him a rather insubstantial person for me. Not to offend anyone, but that isn't unlike some real journalists, whose success flows from their ability to present shallow banalities in an exciting way.

And Miki's mom's actress, Tanaka Misako, is just outstanding. So is the doctor, whose name I'm not sure of, in a simpler role.

I don't see Satoshi being as deplorably weak as some people say. Remember, he's only 15. And Miki is a pretty high standard of strength (or recklessness) to live up to. Like others, I expect he will let his love and his sense of duty eventually prevail. You see some signs of that in ep8, I'd say.

thtl

Post by thtl » Dec 1st, '06, 23:25

nakanokimi wrote:So is the doctor, whose name I'm not sure of, in a simpler role.
That would be Takahata Atsuko.

suketa

Post by suketa » Dec 2nd, '06, 04:11

Tanaka Misako is really a great actress, and surely still very attractive though in her 40s. I searched some info on her and was surprised..well, rather shocked...to find, that she took many adult pictures in her young days as an idol. That kind of disappointed me, but still I respect her as a great actress. I haven't seen any other drama with her in it, which one would you recommend to me?

About Satoshi's character - in the first episodes he hardly showed any feelings about what's going on around him but lately his character has been developed - I liked that he showed that he's been caring about his mom. Especially in the first episode he was just staring at her and I quite couldn't get it what he really feels about her. Maybe I didn't watch carefully, but I didn't understand what is their relationship like. She is busy, hardworking and maybe has not so much time for him, so she gives him a lot of money instead, right? So he refuses the money. I understand him, but at the same time, I don't like his behaviour. His mom was left alone, raising a baby, so she must work hard to support him on his studies, so he can go to good school and find a good job. And I can see she loves him a lot. So what's wrong? Of course she's not nice person, but definitely she cares for her son. Definitely I'd prefer Miki's mom as as for my mommy, though, hihi.

arkofnoah

Post by arkofnoah » Dec 2nd, '06, 05:32

will miki die in the end? i dun want another one litre of tears...

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Dec 2nd, '06, 05:58

I think the mother is a b itch...but we need ppl like her. She knows how hard it is and she wants miki to see how hard it is. After all, she raised a child by herself and is more experienced than miki.

I think satoshi is weak...he's a bi tch. Yeah, hes' 15, but compared to most 15 yrs old, he's at the bottom 25%...haha.
nakanokimi wrote:Yes, I think Satoshi's mother is okay. Not that I'd want to get anywhere near a person like that, but she has good reasons for what she is doing. Even in ep8, which is another great one. I think both she and the reporter must eventually have the veils fall from their eyes and accept the love between Miki and Satoshi. I definitely give credit to both actors for their convincing portrayals. You don't hate a character whose actor isn't doing a good job.

But I do feel that the reporter's opinions seem to have materialized out of thin air, which makes him a rather insubstantial person for me. Not to offend anyone, but that isn't unlike some real journalists, whose success flows from their ability to present shallow banalities in an exciting way.

And Miki's mom's actress, Tanaka Misako, is just outstanding. So is the doctor, whose name I'm not sure of, in a simpler role.

I don't see Satoshi being as deplorably weak as some people say. Remember, he's only 15. And Miki is a pretty high standard of strength (or recklessness) to live up to. Like others, I expect he will let his love and his sense of duty eventually prevail. You see some signs of that in ep8, I'd say.

hakumei

Post by hakumei » Dec 2nd, '06, 06:24

filya wrote:
thtl wrote:Hate him all you like but he was not "all money" - he returned the money Satoshi's mom gave him not to publish her interview.
Quite agree. I like him a lot after ep 6. He've shown a really strong man side of himself. He refused money, and after, he clearly said to Ichinose's mom that he is an author. And then, actually, made Satoshi to think about himself and his role in the situation.
I very much agree. I rather like Hatano a lot in this series. Maybe it is just my opinion, but he has the devilish look down really great...even though I do not see him as an "evil" character.

Speaking of devilish look, I found this rather amusing~
[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c244/ ... takuma.jpg[/img]
Note the hair

Anyway, I was really surprised that I have taken such a great liking to this series. It is rather interesting and appealing, even though at first I was so certain it was not going to catch my interest at all. I am so eager for more.
I found that it was difficult to really hate any of the characters in this, when one would put yourself in their position. At first, I really though Satoshi's mother was a super villian~ haha...but now that I think about it, I would feel the same. She is doing what any mother would do in this situation and she just wants her son to have a good future, to not see her son struggle through the difficulties in life that she had to endure. Just like Miki's father when he first found out, if I were her father I probably would have reacted the same way. It is really great how they portray the different characters and their feelings, it makes it seem so much more real...that not everyone is so understanding and ready to accept this situation.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Dec 5th, '06, 01:40

Just saw ep 8 and I was really surprised that the guy waved back at miki. Then all that failed when he couldn't resist his mother for a few seconds to ask why miki's dad was there.

Still a loser.

filya

Post by filya » Dec 5th, '06, 15:24

suketa wrote:Tanaka Misako is really a great actress, and surely still very attractive though in her 40s. I searched some info on her and was surprised..well, rather shocked...to find, that she took many adult pictures in her young days as an idol. That kind of disappointed me, but still I respect her as a great actress. I haven't seen any other drama with her in it, which one would you recommend to me?
Thanks for suggestion. I did not find really adult ones, but it is not the point. She is a great actress after all. But the thing stunned me - on one of photos (I do not think any nudity is welcome here) she looks absolutely like Miki. They are so similar, it amazed me. So she was chosen as Miki's mother just perfectly also by her looks :)

TG3

Post by TG3 » Dec 7th, '06, 05:35

I just saw 9. Wow, heart wrenching stuff, and OMG, the Preview to 10 looks painful.
OMG! I really think Miki might DIE! I didn't think the writer had the guts to kill her off, but it looks like a real possibility.

mhaellix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mhaellix » Dec 7th, '06, 05:45

Another actor that I'm impressed with is the kid playing Kenta, I think he's really really good for his age, his acting felt real for me. I don't think I've seen any kid around his age act that well, (I hate to admit it but especially not JE, lol)

Just saw episode 9 and I'm dying from curiosity.

Shizuka freaked me out.

I'm just so glad that they're not just going to kill Miki off right after giving birth, but she's put on a comma instead, I seriously never imagined or thought of that turn of event.

So I guess Satoshi's father becomes Miki's doctor? Or else they wouldn't hide his face, right?

nakanokimi

Post by nakanokimi » Dec 7th, '06, 09:00

Yes, Kenta was excellent in ep9. Although all through one scene, I kept saying: get that kid out of the room now! But he was nothing compared to how absolutely amazing the 13-year-old Shida Mirai was. Unbelievable. How does she do it?

suketa

Post by suketa » Dec 7th, '06, 16:15

filya wrote:
suketa wrote:Tanaka Misako is really a great actress, and surely still very attractive though in her 40s. I searched some info on her and was surprised..well, rather shocked...to find, that she took many adult pictures in her young days as an idol. That kind of disappointed me, but still I respect her as a great actress. I haven't seen any other drama with her in it, which one would you recommend to me?
Thanks for suggestion. I did not find really adult ones, but it is not the point. She is a great actress after all. But the thing stunned me - on one of photos (I do not think any nudity is welcome here) she looks absolutely like Miki. They are so similar, it amazed me. So she was chosen as Miki's mother just perfectly also by her looks :)
Yeah, agree on that. They really look so much similar! How real mother and daughter would look like. And both of them are very good actresses. :thumleft:

portiaisabel

Post by portiaisabel » Dec 7th, '06, 16:36

WAAAAHHHh help me where on earth can i find and watch this show im really interested.... as far as j-doramas are concerned i ve only watched a few of them..... the ones available here in phil.... so HELP :goggle: :goggle:

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Dec 7th, '06, 16:41

this drama is available here in d-addicts!! click on the torrent link at the top and search for the episodes there.

suketa

Post by suketa » Dec 7th, '06, 17:12

I just saw the latest ep and I'm so thrilled. Can't wait for what happens next! Somebody has some any idea? This drama has only 11 eps, right? That means only 2 eps to go. How they're gonna finish that? Not too much time left...

filya

Post by filya » Dec 7th, '06, 18:10

That bothers me too. They may put too much in last 3 minutes.
It cannot be finished if Miki and child and all other heroes are either healthy or dead. I hope for healthy end ;)

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Dec 7th, '06, 18:29

im soo excited for epsiode 9!! unfortunately my computer crashed and it will be fixed by saturday.. :cry:
is there anyone with a kind heart that can give me the details for episode 9? pls PM me the summary. thanks a lot!! i beg you people!!

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » Dec 8th, '06, 12:46

I've uploaded 14 Sai no Haha's opening song ..I don't know if someone already uploaded it :unsure:

Mr.Children - Shirushi

http://www.uploading.com/files/KPXK6Z3Y ... i.mp3.html

myke

Post by myke » Dec 8th, '06, 19:51

I just watch this series until ep4.....n I feel amazing that Miki decision to give birth that baby..... :unsure: :unsure:

she is very determine with his decision...

so I think I must follw this story till the end if I want to know what will happen next...
Mainly every one have watch this series until ep9......

:mrgreen:

jus me

Post by jus me » Dec 10th, '06, 08:52

Does anyone know what happens in the last episode? I just finished watching episode 9. I can't wait for the dvd to come in.Something tells me, it's going to be sad. :cry: :cry:

filya

Post by filya » Dec 10th, '06, 19:53

The last episode is not aired yet, moreover, if there are 11 eps, it might be not even written completely.
Patience is virtue ;)

japysia

Post by japysia » Dec 11th, '06, 23:23

NEWS!
SORIMACHI TAKASHI will appear in 14 sai no haha as a DOCTOR in the next episode.

PurEcstasy

Post by PurEcstasy » Dec 12th, '06, 01:15

I have got to see this drama! :D

suketa

Post by suketa » Dec 13th, '06, 15:23

I just saw the newest ep on TV. I'm so thrilled to see the last ep!! But at the same time I'm sad this drama is going to end. :cry: [/code]

nakanokimi

Post by nakanokimi » Dec 14th, '06, 03:13

Episode 10 was wonderful! The tears flowing from my eyes tell me so. Yes, my emotions were manipulated. But I'll let them do it again and again if I get these feelings in return.

I think one more episode is enough to make a good ending. They won't necessarily have to cram to much into the "last three minutes."

Yes, I wondered about the doctor with the handsome face, pleasant attitude, and fascinating smile. Now I guess I've seen Sorimachi Takashi.

TG3

Post by TG3 » Dec 14th, '06, 04:31

Another great episode. I'm finally glad Satoshi decided to take a stand. From the next episode, it looks like
the baby is gonna have some problems, but I hope she turns out all right. It also looks like Satoshi and Miki will finally make up.

robetella

Post by robetella » Dec 17th, '06, 05:56

Just watched Ep 9... the whole intense atmosphere of her giving birth and how the other characters are affected has just been so emotional to watch... Can't wait for the next ep!

filya

Post by filya » Dec 17th, '06, 10:51

I still wonder about Yanagisawa... She looks very interesting and promising character. Why the authors still did not make her active?..

303aegiszx

Post by 303aegiszx » Dec 18th, '06, 05:45

Can't wait for the finale.. This drama deserves the high ratings.. It better be an hour long final too. I really want to see what Satoshi does..and how Miki and the baby end up.

YamapisWifey

Post by YamapisWifey » Dec 18th, '06, 06:44

The teacher in this drama is really beautiful, like exotic hot. xDxD

emrams

Post by emrams » Dec 18th, '06, 07:06

Yeah I agree, she is very beautiful. I can't remember what I have seen her in, though I swear it was something... Anybody have a clue? I will just go check the wiki... nope no help there.

thtl

Post by thtl » Dec 18th, '06, 08:43

emrams wrote:Yeah I agree, she is very beautiful. I can't remember what I have seen her in, though I swear it was something... Anybody have a clue? I will just go check the wiki... nope no help there.
She's in quite a few dramas, although off my head I can only remember "Anego", "Oshii Kankei", and "Last Christmas".

emrams

Post by emrams » Dec 18th, '06, 08:47

Yeah I thought she was in Anego and a few others, but there is something else I saw her in that I can't figure out... It doesn't matter very much really, I just wish I could remember what it is i am thinking of. :salut:

303aegiszx

Post by 303aegiszx » Dec 18th, '06, 14:25

Shimokita Sundays? o.o I was watching that series.. She was a semi big role.

suketa

Post by suketa » Dec 20th, '06, 08:09

Waaa... Today is the last episode. Can't wait!!! At first the story seemed so simple but the drama is really great. They let us stay thrilled until the very last moment! How the ending will be....? :scratch:

TG3

Post by TG3 » Dec 21st, '06, 03:16

I can't believe it's over! :O

This was probably the best-acted and best written drama of the year. Shida Mirai (Miki) and Tanaka Misako (Kanako, Miki's mom) both deserve awards for this.
It's kind of sad Satoshi's mom was still a b!tch to the very bitter end. While she gave them money, how can someone be so cruel as to say they won't see their own granddaughter?

I think the reporter guy is still kind of creepy. I don't really see him as "bad" per se, but a distant observer of things.

The baby was cute, though it looked like an alien in the beginning. :lol

The "make up" scene between Miki and Satoshi was done really well. I love her eyes when she first sees him. It's a combination of disbelief, bewilderment, and resentment.

suketa

Post by suketa » Dec 21st, '06, 04:33

Yeah, I agree this drama was the best written one of this year.

Though there was something what bothers me...

In the preview of the coming episode at the end of episode 10, they showed some scenes which I think were not included in the final episode. Does anyone also have such feeling? I do not know if I watched carefully last night, but I think there were not scenes of Miki screaming while someone was pulling her from her baby's bed, scene of parents crying behind some door (probably of the room in the hospital), or whole family crying at Miki's bed, Miki crying in her bed alone. I think they showed those scenes so we would think the baby'd died. The baby didn't, I'm relieved, but what are those scenes from? Previous eps? Please I'd be happy for any suggestions. Thanks!

thtl

Post by thtl » Dec 21st, '06, 04:46

suketa wrote: Though there was something what bothers me...
In the preview of the coming episode at the end of episode 10, they showed some scenes which I think were not included in the final episode. Does anyone also have such feeling? I do not know if I watched carefully last night, but I think there were not scenes of Miki screaming while someone was pulling her from her baby's bed, scene of parents crying behind some door (probably of the room in the hospital), or whole family crying at Miki's bed, Miki crying in her bed alone. I think they showed those scenes so we would think the baby'd died. The baby didn't, I'm relieved, but what are those scenes from? Previous eps? Please I'd be happy for any suggestions. Thanks!
That was a trailer, and by definition show the contents of the next episode.
There was no reason why the baby won't take a turn for the worse. After all it was born something like 6 weeks early. It looked to me like in the end the baby didn't make it, sad as it is.

shinhaku

Post by shinhaku » Dec 21st, '06, 04:57

anyone seen the last ep? some spoilers plzzzz XD

303aegiszx

Post by 303aegiszx » Dec 21st, '06, 05:22

I really enjoyed this series.. that was a really good episode. I can't believe it's over ._.

mhaellix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mhaellix » Dec 21st, '06, 05:23

303aegiszx wrote:Shimokita Sundays? o.o I was watching that series.. She was a semi big role.
I think she's also in the movie "Check it Out Yo!"

Currently watching episode 11...

suketa

Post by suketa » Dec 21st, '06, 05:26

SPOILER:
It has a happy ending for every single character. Everyone's alive and the life settles down for everyone (even for Satoshi's mom). I don't want to say more, you'd better see the ep by yourself! :thumright:

nakanokimi

Post by nakanokimi » Dec 21st, '06, 22:59

Final episode. Yes, Shida Mirai was miraculous, as was Tanaka Misako as her mother. What others have said about the acting is all true.
Satoshi's mother will come around, I think. I hope he inherits her determination. She was shown at the end going door to door selling, and her former employee bowed to her in respect. Yes, I still find the editor creepy.

I, too, loved the scenes where Miki and Satoshi got back together, though I wished for more of them together. There was more realism than romance in their relationship in the last episode.

More spoilers follow:

The baby was very sickly for much of the episode, and almost died...but eventually survived and thrived. Satoshi's mother tried to commit suicide, but Miki's mother arrived just in time (she was going to give her the money back) and stimulated Satoshi into action to get the ambulance, so they saved her, against her will.

Miki named the baby "Sora" (sky), thinking of how she and Satoshi looked at the sky together. When they got back together they both said how the sky looked more beautiful when they were together. It was a great scene when Satoshi realized that was what Miki had named the baby. There was a scene where Mki and Satoshi asked their parents formally to let them get married. But I think not for a while. Not sure (my Japanese is barely adequate). Satoshi was shown working as a delivery man. The baby's crib was in Miki's room at home.

The transfer student came to see and show respect for Miki and told her story of being with a college student, and I think getting an abortion. The neighbor women kept showing up being nasty. At the end, when Miki was bringing the baby home, they were there causing embarrassment, and her dad had the family take a picture outside all together, with the baby, smiling.

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Dec 21st, '06, 23:34

pls check this clip from youtube about shida mirai and the last episode of 14 sai:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ACAz3Cb_KA
its cute how she cried when she was given the flowers and how her 14 sai mom comforted her.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Dec 22nd, '06, 19:33

14 Sai no Haha is one of worst dorama I've ever watched to the end :thumbdown:
I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the mind of people who's moved by this series. :alcoholic: :roll

It's too much work to repeat myself, so this is the review I wrote in Jdorama.
8thSin wrote:This series is fueled by nothing but hype. The only thing it has to offer is the controversial title.

Yes, it sounds controversial, but what happened? They addressed nothing about being mother at 14. The whole time the topic was about how difficult it was to raise a child without a father... You do not have to be 14 to have this problem. They kept saying society will not be so easy on them, yet whenever Miki makes a cheesey speech, they somehow give in to her demands. The producers were trying to make it moving and made those characters cry, but I couldn't stop laughing because the characters were so stupidly naive and cheesey. Only Kirino's mother made any sense. The reporter somehow disappeared in the end... Bad script sums it up pretty well. Nothing unexpected happened in 11 episodes.

The acting and casting was also horrible. First off, Shida Mirai is too immature for this role. Yes, 14 year olds can get pregnant, but not someone underdeveloped like Shida (Her best friend maybe) and I couldn't stop laughing when she tried to produce milk for the baby. Her character is unrealistically stubborn and confident, it's hard to believe real person like her would exist in Japan. Kirino is a bastard, I guess the acting is fine in this case, but the character is such a pathetic weakling, it was disgusting. Mother was okay, but the father's acting was just a mockery to all viewers. Namase should stick to being a comedian. The reporter was too cool, and in the end he did nothing.

I will definitely NOT watch a sequel to this series if it is ever produced, and NTV's advertisement team is now a legend for achieving such high viewership rating with such a worthless dorama.
The only reason I watched it was because I wanted to see what would happen, and absolutely nothing out of ordinary happened. I'm sure many people in Japan are same as me now, pissed at how we wasted our time watching this series.
I hated everything about this dorama... The actors, the script, the story, the stupid curled up in bed opening scene, the BGM... Mr.Children's "ultimate ballad" is totally wasted. :roll
The ending seems like a sign of a sequel too... Waste of timeslot, but then It's NTV, so it probably doesn't matter. :glare:

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Dec 22nd, '06, 20:08

Ah, how opinions differ. I loved everything about this drama and thought it was the only JDrama worth a damn this year, for 2006 was a very weak year for JDramas overall. It was also only the third to ever make me cry out of the many dozens I've watched. :-) But then I've always been very weak against mother-child kitsch and mothers giving up everything for their children. It's so much sweeter, purer and more significant than love between man and woman. Remembers me of how much I want to have children myself.

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Dec 22nd, '06, 20:41

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this drama wasn't all that hot. I haven't seen the last episode yet, so *maybe* my opinions will change, who knows. I think 8thSin hit the nail on the head, though... The subject matter is supposed to grab your attention and get you to watch the first episode, but there's very little after that to really make me want to continue. Frankly, the thing I liked best about this drama is the music. But then again, I'm a sucker for orchestral/instrumental music.

The three things I just couldn't stand in this drama so far:
1. Kirino's acting... Or maybe just Kirino. :lol
2. How everyone in Miki's class gets all pissed off that she went and made a baby, and then, ALL OF A SUDDEN they ALL want to know whether she and the baby are OK... Somehow, I don't buy that.
3. How the reporter scratched out 14歳の母 and put 14才の母... I think that's just really pushing it too hard... Frankly, it's cheesy, as if this is his way of giving a little respect to Miki and recognizing that she wasn't as irresponsible as he originally though. I really hope this isn't his last scene since it's a pretty crappy way to end his character.

nakanokimi

Post by nakanokimi » Dec 23rd, '06, 04:44

I can understand how some people might not like this show. But perhaps 8th sin just wanted a different approach to this topic: a less young-seeming heroine, a more "realistic" or harsher plot. That's fine, but it is not a reason to condemn the whole drama, or to condemn Shida Mirai's acting. It is just a reason not to watch. However, I must admit that I myself wasn't that fond of the sometimes exaggerated style of the father or the reporter's leering smirk.

As for quashlo's objections, I agree that there were some unlikely things going on. But since when are dorama plots all that probable? I think the main purpose is to move people emotionally. Personally, I was moved again and again. In any dramatic performance, you have to have a willing suspension of disbelief: either let yourself accept the premises and be carried along or else don't watch. In any case, I feel sorry that some people couldn't get the great pleasure from this show that I did.

Satoshi was very annoying, but I don't think anything he did was beyond what is likely for a 15-year-old in that situation. Unlikely for a TV hero, perhaps, but not for a real boy. The class's turnaround was also not unlikely for a group of 14-year-old girls. Sure, you don't want to be tarred with the brush of immorality. But for a classmate to have a baby is a pretty exciting event, too. I was more surprised by their initial resistance than by their eventual change of heart.

Changing the kanji at the end didn't bother me at all. I really don't think this was meant to be a realistic drama so much as an emotional one. Symbolic actions like that are perfectly appropriate, in the context of this style of show, and not "cheesy" in the least.

Perhaps there are disappointed viewers in Japan, as 8th sin says. But this show had the second-highest ratings of any dorama last week, according to the Video Research rankings (http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm#drama). And it is now sixth in viewer satisfaction, in the Oricon poll (http://www.oricon.co.jp/ranking/drama/06_4Q_3.html) of this fall's dramas.

Both of these ratings seem pretty good to me. Certainly, any dorama that rates consistently in the top three is likely to produce sequels or clones, and the stars are likely to reappear. That pleases me, at any rate.

Hachiko-chan

Post by Hachiko-chan » Dec 23rd, '06, 10:21

I've only seen a few episodes and I can honestly say it is one of the best series I've seen so far.
I was truly amazed by Shida Mirais performance, I honestly cried so much watching the episodes.

suketa

Post by suketa » Dec 23rd, '06, 12:02

8thSin wrote:14 Sai no Haha is one of worst dorama I've ever watched to the end :thumbdown:
I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the mind of people who's moved by this series. :alcoholic: :roll

It's too much work to repeat myself, so this is the review I wrote in Jdorama.
8thSin wrote:This series is fueled by nothing but hype. The only thing it has to offer is the controversial title.

Yes, it sounds controversial, but what happened? They addressed nothing about being mother at 14. The whole time the topic was about how difficult it was to raise a child without a father... You do not have to be 14 to have this problem. They kept saying society will not be so easy on them, yet whenever Miki makes a cheesey speech, they somehow give in to her demands. The producers were trying to make it moving and made those characters cry, but I couldn't stop laughing because the characters were so stupidly naive and cheesey. Only Kirino's mother made any sense. The reporter somehow disappeared in the end... Bad script sums it up pretty well. Nothing unexpected happened in 11 episodes.

The acting and casting was also horrible. First off, Shida Mirai is too immature for this role. Yes, 14 year olds can get pregnant, but not someone underdeveloped like Shida (Her best friend maybe) and I couldn't stop laughing when she tried to produce milk for the baby. Her character is unrealistically stubborn and confident, it's hard to believe real person like her would exist in Japan. Kirino is a bastard, I guess the acting is fine in this case, but the character is such a pathetic weakling, it was disgusting. Mother was okay, but the father's acting was just a mockery to all viewers. Namase should stick to being a comedian. The reporter was too cool, and in the end he did nothing.

I will definitely NOT watch a sequel to this series if it is ever produced, and NTV's advertisement team is now a legend for achieving such high viewership rating with such a worthless dorama.
The only reason I watched it was because I wanted to see what would happen, and absolutely nothing out of ordinary happened. I'm sure many people in Japan are same as me now, pissed at how we wasted our time watching this series.
I hated everything about this dorama... The actors, the script, the story, the stupid curled up in bed opening scene, the BGM... Mr.Children's "ultimate ballad" is totally wasted. :roll
The ending seems like a sign of a sequel too... Waste of timeslot, but then It's NTV, so it probably doesn't matter. :glare:
I respect your opinion, but my experience with this drama is quite different.

I may say it was the best drama I have ever watched. Drama is not genre of great actor's performance or great scripts. I think drama is a genre to entertain the viewers and let them enjoy until the end, that's all. But I can say that this drama had at least more-than-average drama acting - Miki, Miki's mom, doctor at ladies' clinic, Miki's friends Megu and Yanagisawa (though I didn't like the acting of Miki's father and brother, uncle and Satoshi's mom were so so) and the script was also well written, though I didn't like all the plot and everything about how the character acted). But for being a drama, I can say it's a gem.

Well, I can understand that as a man, you can't know what's on woman's mind. I also do not understand men so well. But I gave birth to baby just 6 months ago, still remember everything about pregnancy and birth well, and I was really IMPRESSED about Shida Mirai's performance. She could express pain and every feelings of a pregnant woman very convincingly.

Also not every woman, even a girl, is able to gave up the baby. For example I wouldn't, if it was baby of someone I love ( I would think of giving up the baby in case of being raped or if I found the baby is not healthy). Even girls look like Shida Mirai DO get pregnant and even in Japan. Many young girls in Japan have sex for money with some ojisan or fall in love with older boys. Shida Mirai looks young for her age, but even 13 or 14-years-old girls have sex these days so definitely can get pregnant if they're not careful enough. And such girls can give milk to their babies.

Well, the only thing I agree with you is, that I couldn't find any point of what they wanted to tell us with this drama - is it good ending or not? Satoshi's mom is settled down, but how about Satoshi? Because of Miki's selfish decision to born and raise a baby, Satoshi's life is ruined. Of course it's also his fault that he made Miki pregnant, but I understood him when he said he didn't want the baby to be born. I though he really thought about the future well. But what made him change opinion and do such (wrong) decision - not to go to high school and work as a delivery man instead? First love? That did not convince me. The only one happy in the end is Miki - she can study afterwards, there is always her mom to help with the baby. Maybe she will be able to work as a radio DJ in the future.

But anyway, it's just a story of some girl, it's drama and nothing serious. I was entertained enough and was pleased with great acting of most of the actors.

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Dec 23rd, '06, 20:22

Excuse me, but can someone explain me the meaning of the 2 kanjis alternatively used for "sai"? It seems to have a great significance and I don't grasp it :unsure:

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Dec 23rd, '06, 20:44

「歳」 is the correct way to write "age", but being such a common word with such a difficult kanji, average people (especially kids) usually just write 「才」, which means different thing, but commonly acknowledged to be replacement for difficult version.
It's still usually written correctly 「歳」 in newspapers and literatures.

My interpretation is that he wrote the easier version because he wants to write the articles in Miki's viewpoint, not as a professional writer.

But I personally thing 14才 sounds younger or more immature compared to 14歳

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Dec 24th, '06, 02:23

8thSin wrote: But I personally thing 14才 sounds younger or more immature compared to 14歳
Actually, I thought that was exactly why he changed the kanji... not to tell the story from Miki's view, but to emphasize her youth and immaturity for motherhood.

Overall though, I kind of have to agree that there was just something missing about this series. I think production and acting-wise, it's well done, but the story just failed to grab me. I stopped actually watching after the second episode, and just skipped through most of the rest of the series.
I think I was hoping for something that would challenge and question societal norms regarding teen promiscuity, pregnancy, or maybe the something about the "lost generation" of Japanese youth or whatever but in the end it looks like it just brushed the surface of the topics without really taking issue with them. It turned into an emotional melodrama -- and a fine one for those who like the genre, but I have to admit I'm not a huge one for it.

I dunno. I don't really have anything against it, but it doesn't really stand out in my mind either... :fear:
Maybe if actually watched the whole thing, my opinion would change, but nothing in the bits I saw really made me feel like I was missing out on anything or want to watch the whole episode.... :unsure:

fijiwater

Post by fijiwater » Dec 24th, '06, 03:38

I havent seen the last episode yet. In fact, i'm only on episode 8- so far so good, I suppose.

adriansyc

Post by adriansyc » Dec 26th, '06, 01:56

:O unbelievable i saw takashi sorimachi in episode 10 lol

neme_chan

Post by neme_chan » Dec 26th, '06, 02:43

I think saying the drama is horrible is overreacting... First, I don't see it as a story that aimed to be "amazing", "awesome", "incredibly novel". The way I see it, it is meant to be more of a quiet, could-happen-to-anyone story - and, in that case, it did pretty well. It might be that other viewers expected something different, maybe more melodramatic - but I don't think that was the goal here.

So, now that I've made it clear that I don't think it's a perfect, unforgettable drama, I shall mention some thoughts I've had. I think I actually enjoyed some of the things other viewers might have disliked... I like it that it didn't become melodramatic and tearful, as I tend to dislike those dramas for being all similar. I also think it's good that teenage pregnancy was seen by a view other than the usual "girl-from-a-broken-family-who-has-sex-with-lots-of-guys-or-sells-herself-and-then-suddenly-gets-pregnant" that we've seen in countless stories. Having an average girl as the protagonist - a girl with a good house, a good family, who studies in a good school - just might be the drama's strongest point. (And people, let's remember our biology classes: any girl can get pregnant as long as she ovulates - and the average age for that nowadays is 12. Doesn't matter if she looks like a child, as female bodies take years to fully develop). Getting pregnant doesn't make Miki suddenly less childish, nor her boyfriend into a man - and the parents' feelings are about as confused and complicated as they can get in real life.

Finally, I'd like to mention one thing that has bothered me from the beginning, and see if anyone else thought the same. I don't appreciate the whole affair with the tabloid article scandal and the journalist. Doesn't it seem sometimes that every drama has something like that? I do understand how much importance Japanese culture attributes to "public sphere", and to the opinions of others, and gossip, and all that. But I feel that making the story strictly personal would have been better - telling the story of a a normal girl, a normal boy and an unexpected pregnancy, without all the media scandals, the company problems, and such. It happens enough in dramas that it's become a really weak argument - and if it does happen often in Japan (which I find questionable, as not everyone is a company director), all the more reason to make something different and focus on average people.

Long post. If you've read it up to here, I'm waiting to hear opinions on these points. In the meanwhile, I'mm watch the last episode - hoping another cliché won't suddenly turn up...

Lifo

Post by Lifo » Dec 26th, '06, 14:28

Personally, this drama started very intresting at first, but at reaching ep. 5-7 It was a little bit dull, and then once again it becomes intresting towards the end..

Well here goes, I just watched the last ep ~
I Didn't think that the baby would still live =S !!
and it seemed to me that it's health wasn't good, so I predicted that It would probably die.
Another thing, I think this drama was supposed to be a kind of "Moral" for other young people or teenagers in Japan, but It did show a good ending or rather a happy ending for Miki. They might think that Miki might have faced all this trouble because of the baby, but In the end she lived happily, I don't think that this might benefit Japanese citizens =S.

Who Agrees ?

And what was kind of annoying in the last ep were the two neighbours >_>" !
Hmmm,, other than that I don't have any other addition :scratch:

thtl

Post by thtl » Dec 26th, '06, 16:42

Lifo wrote:Well here goes, I just watched the last ep ~
I Didn't think that the baby would still live =S !!
and it seemed to me that it's health wasn't good, so I predicted that It would probably die.
Another thing, I think this drama was supposed to be a kind of "Moral" for other young people or teenagers in Japan, but It did show a good ending or rather a happy ending for Miki. They might think that Miki might have faced all this trouble because of the baby, but In the end she lived happily, I don't think that this might benefit Japanese citizens =S.

Who Agrees ?

And what was kind of annoying in the last ep were the two neighbours >_>" !
At the very beginning of this series I thought it took a pro-life approach, because of the horrible abortion statistics in Japan. The ending was positive, but not rosy:
Both Miki and Satoshi gave up their education to support the baby. In a society where good education is a must, they have sacrificed a lot.
I think this series is more about telling teenagers the consequence of their actions and decisions, not about scaring them off sex.

I thought the neighborhood biotches were a nice touch. The Japanese are very conscientious of the feelings of people around them. This serves to reinforce the impression that not all is rosy for Miki.

Tomi

Post by Tomi » Dec 26th, '06, 23:22

i think the drama seemed very realistic and so I continued to watch. There weren't really any times that I had gotten bored. I wouldn't say this was as "oh so" miraculous as say watching One Litre of Tears but I still enjoyed it. I thought the ending was very well put out. I mean, there are a lot of series out there that are great all throughout and then annihilate the ending terrible coughnobutacough.

arabian

Post by arabian » Dec 27th, '06, 07:43

I finally finished the drama..
It was really good .. I enjoyed watching it..
The ending was really good I like it..

robetella

Post by robetella » Dec 27th, '06, 12:39

Just completed it today.. Gosh e ending was good. I enjoyed e whole series.. e drama emphasize not only the diff and burden the 14yo had to face but on hw great mum's love was.. ev little detail was showed and these little things proved oh so touching.. lol.. one of e best drama for me for yr 06..

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Dec 28th, '06, 02:28

I felt bad for the baby...I mean I feel bad for it in reality cuz it looked so sick. I mean, it looked like they probably signed that baby up the day before the shot the scenes. That baby probably not even born yet when they shot most of the series. Sorry that a baby look like that. Imagine you're the parents. It's like "mam, we want to use your baby in our drama cuz it looks sick"..haha.

chocoholix

Post by chocoholix » Dec 29th, '06, 16:59

goygakgoy wrote:I felt bad for the baby...I mean I feel bad for it in reality cuz it looked so sick. I mean, it looked like they probably signed that baby up the day before the shot the scenes. That baby probably not even born yet when they shot most of the series. Sorry that a baby look like that. Imagine you're the parents. It's like "mam, we want to use your baby in our drama cuz it looks sick"..haha.
...premature, not sick
quite a number of babies are borned premature

Eziya Minamoto

Post by Eziya Minamoto » Dec 31st, '06, 23:51

spinozza wrote:I watched first episode, and thought it was pretty good but...

One moment they are just holding hands....now she is pregnant? lol I mean. Isn't that a bit of a jump? She showed no tendency whatsoever to be that type of girl who would just have sex with some guy...I just could not buy it at all. The acting as good but the plot left something to be desired for me. It just isn't believable from the way they shot the first episode.

Agreed. I just didn't see anything that would have led me to believe they actually did anything. However, I found the acting pretty impressive, and I enjoyed the series.

neme_chan wrote: Finally, I'd like to mention one thing that has bothered me from the beginning, and see if anyone else thought the same. I don't appreciate the whole affair with the tabloid article scandal and the journalist. Doesn't it seem sometimes that every drama has something like that? I do understand how much importance Japanese culture attributes to "public sphere", and to the opinions of others, and gossip, and all that. But I feel that making the story strictly personal would have been better - telling the story of a a normal girl, a normal boy and an unexpected pregnancy, without all the media scandals, the company problems, and such. It happens enough in dramas that it's become a really weak argument - and if it does happen often in Japan (which I find questionable, as not everyone is a company director), all the more reason to make something different and focus on average people.
The tabloid stuff kind of annoyed me as well. I was hoping that it can be more focused on them without the journalist trying to tell a story. I also found it kind of weird that he started 'stalking' them, trying to get a story; I'm sure that there are other people that are going through a similar situation, even if it's not as common. Also, I just wish that they were both average people not in the public eye, so we could look into the lives of average people.

Halko

Post by Halko » Jan 1st, '07, 08:09

Man, quite love or hate. xD.

Well, for me personally, I enjoyed the story & was able to focus on just that rather than all the other little things that could have been fixed. I didn't like some of the acting and a few things they included in the script and all, but I think I enjoyed this drama the most so I'm pleased. :].

uniquo

Post by uniquo » Jan 2nd, '07, 01:37

what is the name of this series in Korean? and which clubbox can I dl it from?

Tjanks

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jan 2nd, '07, 03:53

japaneseguy's has it.

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » Jan 3rd, '07, 10:29

I finished watching the series and I thought it was okay.

The issue is controversial, but not anything new.

The girl who played Miki did a very good job.

I've watched plenty of jdramas and I still don't get the whole school-teachers-students thing.
I mean why is it the school's responsibility if something bad happens like a girl getting pregnant?

Unless it's the teacher who got the student pregnant :crazy:

Are they suppose to follow the students everywhere and keep an eye on them until school is over and god forbid if something happens it's the school's fault or the parents fault?

The whole stupid reputation of the school being affected by just one student doesn't make any sense to me.

So if a fight broke out in a school, would that school have a bad rep just for that one fight?

Sorry for the rant :P

The major part of the story didn't get answerered for me.
Why did Miki decide to have the baby?

The only thing I got was when she was in the classroom and explaining it saying "I want to see the baby", what kind of stupid answer is that!
Why didn't she just say I don't believe in abortion and despite what other people say I want to have a baby because I think it would be fun :thumleft:

and towards the end of the series the so-called boyfirend/father Satoshi was really irratating. Especially the part where his mother overdosed on pills and then Miki's mother showed up just in time to tell the idiot Satoshi, who was just standing there to call an ambulance.

I know he was supposed to be shocked but COME ON! Your mother is dying or going to die and you just freakin stand there?

I just wanted to reach into the screen and slap him silly. :cussing:
Last edited by enuyasha on Jan 3rd, '07, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jan 3rd, '07, 12:07

enuyasha wrote:I've watched plenty of jdramas and I still don't get the whole school-teachers-students thing.
I mean why is it the school's responsibility if something bad happens like a girl getting pregnant?
I'm not THE Japan expert, but I think it's pretty obvious that we're dealing with cultural differences.

In Japan, students are their class teachers' personal responsiblity in and largely even out of the classroom. It is a shame not only for the student whom the teacher has taken under his or her wing but also for the teacher when a student does extremely poorly in exams or does something as outrageously stupid as getting knocked up at 14. A Japanese teacher assumes much more personal custody of his or her students than any American teacher ever would or would ever be expected to. In addition, a school's reputation is extremely important in Japanese society, as rank and status generally tend to be. Japanese people are extremely image-conscious and many would consider it a shame to graduate from a school with a soiled reputation. That's just the way it is there and based on this knowledge, I didnt find it strange at all that the school felt somewhat involved when Miki's pregnancy was annonced and felt pressured to act. I would think, though, that maybe I wouldn't be all that different if a 14-year-old girl got pregnant while attending an American Catholic private school?

thtl

Post by thtl » Jan 4th, '07, 09:07

enuyasha wrote: I've watched plenty of jdramas and I still don't get the whole school-teachers-students thing.

Unless it's the teacher who got the student pregnant :crazy:
The student's achievements/failures is often a reflection on the school/teacher's ability from what my understanding of the Japanese culture.

Moriya

Post by Moriya » Jan 17th, '07, 10:00

:thumleft: :thumright:

good show recommended

weeeeeeeeeeee

anohianotoki

class visit

Post by anohianotoki » Jan 27th, '07, 10:53

I've just finished this drama and thanks be to the Providers. Great subtitles and picture.

I thought this drama differed a bit from others in that it is self-referential, although the tabloid guy was irritating. Also, in a scene were the girls class wants to visit Miki in the hospital, the writers refrained from the usual formula. Instead of having the entire class march over along with the teacher with each key character saying something in a closeup, the teacher says something sensible and the girls stay in class. The teachers and principal were also restrained and portrayed in an untypical way. The principal is not evil, the other teachers are not overly judgmental, unlike the neighbors. [In the special, Miki and her mom have it out with the busybody neighbors---"15 Year Old Mother Carries Machine Gun"---it's a bad joke :) ]

I believe Miki's teacher, Endou-sensei is played by Yamaguchi Sayaka. Those interested in seeing more of her, please buy her picture books.

It was interesting to see the actor playing Miki's dad in a serious role. I'd only seen him play foolish roles in 'Trick' and 'Gokusen'.

This is a good drama and it is nice to see Shida Mirai again. I didn't like Satoshi when I first saw him because he looked like one of those empty-headed pretty boys in romantic anime. But, he's only 15 in the story and aptly confused and scarred and his character develops a bit and becomes more sympathetic.

Question: Is the tabloid writer supposed to be half Japanese or a Japanese from another country? His hairy looks are different and he's so opinionated about Japan.

An off-topic question---what show is that signature picture above in the yellow frame from? Is she saying 'oppa' before the heart appears?

rhaxephon

Post by rhaxephon » Feb 14th, '07, 05:00

neme_chan wrote:Doesn't it seem sometimes that every drama has something like that? I do understand how much importance Japanese culture attributes to "public sphere", and to the opinions of others, and gossip, and all that. But I feel that making the story strictly personal would have been better - telling the story of a a normal girl, a normal boy and an unexpected pregnancy, without all the media scandals, the company problems, and such. It happens enough in dramas that it's become a really weak argument - and if it does happen often in Japan (which I find questionable, as not everyone is a company director), all the more reason to make something different and focus on average people.

Long post. If you've read it up to here, I'm waiting to hear opinions on these points. In the meanwhile, I'mm watch the last episode - hoping another cliché won't suddenly turn up...
Spoilers......

Yeah that goes similarly with Taiyou no Uta. I dun like "evil media" But IMO, i think the scriptwriter want to introduce to us the various types of difficulties, ordeals and possible scenerios the Miki might face in her situation. LIke if suddenly some magazines suddenly report your pregnacy is a scandalous act, blah blah blah... in miki situation how will she acted. Think basically want to tell what the possible things can happened and how do we deal with it. In the drama, miki herself is not mature yet to think about how how she is going to deal with the media. But it is the support of her family that let her jump over the hurdle, which was her parents that decide how to deal with the media (saying to ignore the news, and going to the chief editor to tell them to stop such "lies"). In fact almost all such dramas have media involvement (seems tobe a norm in jdrama),
たとれば、 "GTO, Taiyou no uta, Nobuta wo produce (the school flyers), 1 litre of tears (positive involvement, publication of Aya's diary), Naomi, etc etc.

Opps forget to add, if you like the beautiful Soundtrack. You can download it from this site
http://shindou2006.livejournal.com/. It have other dramas soundtrack too. ^^
Last edited by rhaxephon on Feb 14th, '07, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

HaJoSa

Post by HaJoSa » Feb 14th, '07, 06:22

I finally finished watching this drama

it is really interesting drama to watch ... i like the ending of it .....