Happy New Year in Japanese

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Fociis

Happy New Year in Japanese

Post by Fociis » Jan 11th, '07, 00:10

I know that "Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu. Kotoshi mo Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu" means happy new year in Japanese. But how can I transform this sentence into the informal. For example, when talking "down" to your students or to a close friend I don't want to be so polite to.

horndogbuddhist

Post by horndogbuddhist » Jan 11th, '07, 00:24

do the japanese go by the lunar calendar or by the normal dates?

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Jan 11th, '07, 00:44

Just so you know, the phrase you provided is more than just "Happy New Year." "Kotoshi mo yoroshiku onegai shimasu" literally means "I'm counting on you in the coming year." An English equivalent is not easy to find, but the expression is really just a way of reinforcing a good relationship with one's peers or superiors at work, etc.

If this was a teacher speaking to students, I don't think you would really need to change anything, except possibly omit "Kotoshi mo yoroshiku onegai shimasu." To me, it sounds awkward since the teacher is the superior here.

If this is an intimate friend, then you might say, "Akemashite omedetou! Kotoshi mo yoroshiku!"

With regards to the lunar vs. Gregorian calendar, the Japanese have New Years the same as the West (Jan 1), but they commonly use the animal zodiac when talking about the upcoming year, what year someone was born, etc. The changeover to the Gregorian calendar occurred in 1873 according to Wikipedia.
Last edited by quashlo on Jan 11th, '07, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.

bestletdown

Post by bestletdown » Jan 11th, '07, 00:45

there really is no way to say it informally. you could say "ake ome" but thats for girls who are really girly-ish/childish.

"Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu. Kotoshi mo Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu"

i hope you know the WHOLE thing doesnt mean only "happy new year." Kotoshi mo Yoroshiku Onegai shimasu directly translates to "i hope this year you would take care of me as you have in the past" and "akemashite omedetou gozaimasu" is happy new year.

hope i helped :-)

LCT

Post by LCT » Jan 11th, '07, 01:27

shin nen omedetou gozaimasu?

gougz

Post by gougz » Jan 11th, '07, 03:33

to ur friend u can say

あけましておめでとう (akemashite omedetô )

or also

良いお年を (yoi otoshi wo <i quote="LCT">> have a good and happy new year)

or

恭賀新年 (kyouga shinnen >> best wishes for this new year)

but everyone says Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu !!

Prince of Moles

Post by Prince of Moles » Jan 11th, '07, 05:27

There's a phrase in Japanese that goes, "shitashiki naka nimo reigi ari."

Which roughly translates to: "even among friends there is decorum."

On certain occasions being formal makes it better, or makes it =feel= more meaningful. You can say "Grats!" to a couple when they get married, but even in American English it's normal to say "Congratulations!"

You can say "ake ome" but I prefer to say "Akemashite omedetou gozaimasu" for New Years.

Oh and people use the Gregorian calendar for New Years in Japan. We stopped using the Chinese calendar after the Meiji Restoration.

(If you ask me Jan 1 should be the Winter Solistice or the Spring Equinox. 1 week should be 10 days long, and each month should be 30 days long, and the extra 5 days can be celebrated at each season, 2 for New Years.)

Fociis

Post by Fociis » Jan 11th, '07, 10:46

bestletdown wrote:there really is no way to say it informally. you could say "ake ome" but thats for girls who are really girly-ish/childish.
Ahh...that's the phrase I was looking for. I had a female JHS student explain to me in her limited English that this the the phrase you use for someone your junior. I just couldn't remember it. With her English limitations there would have been no way for me to know that only girls use this. I had the impression that any superior would use this to theirjunior. Its a good thing I couldn't remember it to repeat it. Otherwise I would've looked quite the fool. Thanks!

lesliecool

Post by lesliecool » Jan 16th, '07, 12:55

haha i guess i was a fool then! i even said "ake ome koto yoro"...aiyah