[Discussion] Haikei, Chichiue-sama

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
arashisuki58

[Discussion] Haikei, Chichiue-sama

Post by arashisuki58 » Jan 16th, '07, 18:39

I thought I should start a thread on this wonderful dorama starring our cute Nino-chan. I wasn't having any high hopes on this show. I initially watched this show because of Nino-chan, but then, I quickly realized this might be my second favorite show of this season (first one has got to go to HYD2). Although it's only been one episode, I find myself impatiently waiting for the next one. The scenes and the music were sooo beautiful. I'm definitely going to go and find Yasashii Jikan now. I don't think there's going to be a lot of exciting scenes, but the comfortable pace of this dorama is perfect for me.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jan 16th, '07, 18:44

Initially, I watched this to glimpse Yoko~ but once again, Nino has managed to steal the spotlight.

So far, like you, I've only watched the first episode, but I can already tell that this will be one of my favorites this season.........and especially since this season has already started off with so many great dramas.

I've watched Yashashi Jikan, but it was a very somber drama for me that I probably wouldn't be able to watch it in one sitting if I wanted to.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Feb 9th, '07, 03:53

I like this dorama, a few touching moments which kind a make me sad in episode two or is it episode three? (I think episode two :lol, I got a rewatch it)....I like the old lady's character very much....the young boy (Ippe); interesting....I want to see how they write out his fate....nice dorama :-)....

jayph

Post by jayph » Feb 10th, '07, 00:02

This drama is really underrate. It's my favorite drama of this season (and most of the drama in this season are very good as well). IT makes a typical mundane Tokyo town incredibly peaceful and the plot is very "realistic", not your typical lovey-dovey drama.

arashisuki58

Post by arashisuki58 » Feb 14th, '07, 20:12

Hmm...I wonder why there's not a lot of discussion on this dorama?? I'm really in love with this dorama!! Nino chan is sooo kawaii...and I love seeing the interactions between him and Yoko kun...I don't know much about Yoko kun or Kanjani8 before...but now, I might start looking into the group :)

Anyways, like jayph said, I love how this show makes a mundane Tokyo town to have so much character and the sceneries are amazingly shot. The music, the acting, the views...everything just seem to gel together. It totally makes me want to live in this town. Although they are facing some economic hardships, wouldn't it be great to be in a town where everyone is a character??

I've been looking forward to the show more than HYD2 now...it's just sooo different from all the lovey-dovey shows...I guess it was time for a change...

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Feb 18th, '07, 19:47

Episode five; poor Ippei got the beating for his loyalty to the old lady....looking forward to watch ep sixth, and that'll be for this evening :-)....

iceuck

Post by iceuck » Feb 21st, '07, 06:32

i watched this because of nino and yoko. it's interesting enough but i'm not always on the lookout for it's release. i can miss it for a week or so and it's okay. there are too many characters and the political slant in the story bores me. (forgive me, a stupid fangirl) and the girl's "merci vocous" wasn't convincing..but i'm still waiting for her to appear. i honestly want jitensha girl (ojou-sama) to end up with her ippei-niichan.

what keeps me glued to this drama is the cinematography. it's soooooo amazing. i drop my jaw in awe in almost every scene. even a simple scene of showing a street with people walking, the view comes from a certain angle then pans up... i love it! the scenery is pleasant too.

iceuck

Post by iceuck » Feb 22nd, '07, 03:50

watched ep 5 and i am correcting myself. *refer to my earlier post* gosh my french was wrong. and i am now convinced of frenchy's ability to speak french.

but i still want jitensha girl and nino to end up with each other. especially what with
all the boob mashing that happened.
:lol

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Feb 23rd, '07, 16:29

Just finished watching episode sixth; so cute; Ippe's day dreaming :-)....but what is it with the red briefs, is it just in this dorama or do Japanese really wear red breifs for strength? :unsure: :scratch: :lol....interesting :lol....

imano

Post by imano » Mar 1st, '07, 10:14

I kove the interaction between Ippei and Yukino.
Ojousan is more compatible for Ippei ne.

toshiro_san

A great dorama for spring

Post by toshiro_san » Mar 17th, '07, 13:17

Whenever I watch this series, I feel like I'm watching a Ghibli anime. It left me with a feel-good feeling, further deepened by the wonderful intro song.

Besides that, I'm also a big fan of Mdm Yachigusa Kaoru who played Yumeko Obachan ever since I saw her in the classic Hiroshi Inagaki's Samurai Trilogy (you guys should see it). She was so beautiful when she was young.

Generally I feel this dorama is great. I can feel the difficulty that Ippei have in choosing between to preserve the past or embracing the future. Choosing girlfriend is kinda hard too (LOL). What I love about this series is that each and every character is very human. From Ruo-san, the coffee shop owner with a weird hobby of sneaking into camera frame of TV and magazine to the evil Ritsuko-San, the waka-yumeko of Sakashita. Even though she's considered by all to be quite evil, her character wasn't single dimensional. She's evil and manipulative because she has to. She did it to continue the legacy of Sakashita, to prevent it from collapsing and from becoming a relic of the past. Other character worth mentioning is the silent but extremely funny when he's brooding Shakuhan-san, who hiccups when he's angry. The insensitive Tokio, whom I feel is a real idiot but I can't help the feeling that somehow he is the glue to keep everything together. Both girls are very cute, and I love the fact that Eri is manipulative like her mother. She constantly keeps Ippei in check, creating awkward situation for him, clutching him in her claws, and I find it very funny. And Ninomiya did a great job portraying a complex character like Ippei, and I love it how he narratively wrote everything to a father that he never knew.

I really love this dorama, and I can't wait to see how it ends.

p/s If I'm going to Japan, I'll definitely make Kagurazaka one of my destinations, what a beautiful town

sweetanna

Post by sweetanna » Mar 20th, '07, 11:24

I am at a loss and hope someone can help:

I just found out this drama was written by the same person who wrote Yasashii Jikan (which I think is a gem...I love love loved it!!!! :D )
sooo....I have to see this drama...

Now I found out that there are two sets of subs...for me the soft vs. hard sub thing is not an issue so it's harder to make a decision what to download

does anyone know anything about the two available versions (hardsub or softsub) that can help distinguish them from eachother?

thanks

seaweed

Post by seaweed » Mar 21st, '07, 13:30

^ The 2 set of subs are by the same subbers so they are the same.

Back to this drama.. it's good to watch so far.. am at episode 4 now. Everything seem so in peace despite some moments...

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Mar 21st, '07, 13:45

Very good series :). Ep5 now!

sweetanna

Post by sweetanna » Mar 21st, '07, 15:14

...actually lovesong and stormy are the two groups subbing this...though stormy are doing both hard and soft (here on d-addicts) subs and lovesong is doing the hardsub versions available on d-addicts

anyway...thanks

arashisuki58

Post by arashisuki58 » Mar 21st, '07, 20:35

i've been in love with this dorama since the first episode...i would love to visit this charming little town...

i've watched up to epi 10 now....i really don't want this dorama to end...it was so cute when the grandma mentioned nino chan's senpais (kimutaku and kusanagi tsuyoshi) in epi 10...hahahaha...i wonder if it was nino chan's suggestion ;)

what's to become of Ippei kun's life when the restaurant gets torn down??? i don't want this dorama to end at all...and will we or Ippei kun EVER find out who his real father is????

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Apr 23rd, '07, 07:57

:lol....on the side note: I actually took days vacation just to catch up watching my doramas :lol....

I finally finished watching this dorama....really like it....definately will be a second round watch for me....nice ending, though
sad for the old lady to have alzheimers at the end of this dorama....must be too stressful and traumatized for her by the faith of her small resturant, home and her neighborhood....all that she knows, familliar with and loved in her growing up are slowly changing, disappearing in the everchanging modern world, even the poor cats which she loves to feed....I like the ending, eventhough with Ippei's mom didn't reveal who the father is, but with her calling Ippei in the last episode to tell Ippei to meet her at the riverside cafe; tells that the girl's father is not Ippei's father after all....I guess that's the best she could do....but just sad that Ippei didn't find out who his father is....
oops, sorry for forgetting to use the spoiler tag; fixed....I think I better go check my other posts for spoilers :P....
Last edited by mimmi on May 4th, '07, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

chickenta

Post by chickenta » Apr 29th, '07, 02:18

I just finished ep 2... this kind of peaceful yet dramatic series is a nice change. Enjoying it so far... glad to see that people really like it. :)

Annj

Post by Annj » May 3rd, '07, 04:33

Ok i really loved this series. However I didn't quite understand the ending can someone help me a little?
When Ippei's mother told the writer that he was the father in the cafe yet she denies it to Ippei. Is he the father or is another because he had rejected her?
Last edited by Annj on May 4th, '07, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 3rd, '07, 09:45

Annj wrote:Ok i really loved this series. However I didn't quite understand the ending can someone help me a little?
When Ippei's mother told the writer that he was the father in the cafe yet she denies it to Ippei. Is he the father or is another because he had rejected her?
Better use the spoiler tag Annj. This goes to the previous posters as well.
He is not the father. They never had any sexual relationship as implied by both of them during their conversation at Yukino's bar. Although Yukino-chan did said that he is the father, it was all just pretend. She loved him to the extend of wanting him to be the father of her child even if its just a lie. Maybe Yukino don't want to end up like Yumeko-san by always being in the shadow of her "dana" or maybe she feels guilty for using Ippei's real father just for the sake of her longing to have her own child. The mystery of Ippei father still remains
How I wish for a 2 hour Haikei Chichiuesama Special...

Annj

Post by Annj » May 4th, '07, 01:28

Sorry forgot to do the spoiler thing! Gomen nasai Im kinda new. Thank you aishoni2 for a good explanation. I kinda guess at that but was rather still confused.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » May 4th, '07, 14:49

aishoni2 wrote:
Annj wrote:Ok i really loved this series. However I didn't quite understand the ending can someone help me a little?
Better use the spoiler tag Annj. This goes to the previous posters as well.
He is not the father. They never had any sexual relationship as implied by both of them during their conversation at Yukino's bar. Although Yukino-chan did said that he is the father, it was all just pretend. She loved him to the extend of wanting him to be the father of her child even if its just a lie. Maybe Yukino don't want to end up like Yumeko-san by always being in the shadow of her "dana" or maybe she feels guilty for using Ippei's real father just for the sake of her longing to have her own child. The mystery of Ippei father still remains
How I wish for a 2 hour Haikei Chichiuesama Special...
[

My take on this: Or
The mother didn't even know who the father is....she was too devastated that night from the writer breaking up with her to the point of self destruction, so she got sooo drunk and had a nightstand with somebody; resulting Ippei being conceived 23 yrs. ago on the night of their breaking up....she had to convinced herself that she's been carrying the writer's baby (forgot his name) because she loved him so much and wanted to have his baby and that's the only way she can go on with her life carrying the baby eventhough she knew it's not true who the father is....she never married; a single mom....she never tell her parents and she can't tell Ippei who the father is because she didn't even know or remember his name and face, but she had to tell the writer that he is the father; to let the writer know of her great deep feeling for him and that Ippei's biological father is nothing to her, but it was a result of what she did 23 yrs. ago which she wouldn't have done it if the breaking up wasn't happening....in a way she kind a make the writer feel a little quilty for diong that to her....
ok I'm romantically nuts :lol....

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » May 28th, '07, 06:22

This drama is so different than any other drama I've seen to date. There's a traditional backdrop to the whole story that makes this drama feels old, but on the other hand you have a main character whose thought process is pretty contemporary, so it really creates an interesting feel to the whole drama.

I just finished episode 5, a great drama really. Very nice. At the beginning I made some weird assumptions that made me think that Ryuuji-san was the boss' husband, so it took me awhile to get back on track.. hehe. But nevertheless, great drama. Though, just one last thing, in episode 5,
where Shakuhan was getting angry, he kept on hiccuping, I couldn't remember Ippei mentioning that he hiccups when he is getting angry, so I thought he kept on saying "Ii-" (the first syllable of Ippei's name), and then when I rewinded that scene, I remembered what and why he was doing that and laughed really hard.. xDxD;;.

sefilily

Post by sefilily » May 27th, '08, 13:04

I just finished watching this. I really liked it. And is it just me, or does Nino have like a geeky, awkward walk he does when his character feels a bit awkward or something?
I really wanted Ippei to end up with Eri though.

kenu

Post by kenu » May 28th, '08, 10:41

Yeah, Ippei has that awkward school boy walk, especially around Naomi.

This was the first time I've seen Nino-kun and subsequently watching him in his boyband made me laugh as I found it hard to view him as cool.

jae.kimmie

Post by jae.kimmie » Oct 26th, '10, 04:49

i just finished watching this drama. a number of people over at STORMY were saying that this drama was so underrated. i agree. although it can't compete with all those lovey-dovey dramas that are very popular, i enjoy watching the more slice-of-life themed dramas nowadays. plus the music is really awesome. does anybody know where i can get a copy of the OST?
the ending surprised me a lot. i was hoping that Yukino-chan will reveal who Ippei's father is, but all that was left to us was that it's not the author. oh well, I think that blends in the story, because the main reason of the title was that the father is nameless. O_O
overall it's a good light watch. something i'll watch again in the future. i loved the cast and Yume and Yukino and Naomi are all pretty people. :) and Nino's acting was lovely.

~jae