hostess in Jpn

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
tennyou

hostess in Jpn

Post by tennyou » Dec 11th, '06, 20:18

I'm thinking really hard about my summer-vacation plans...
Since I study Japanese and genreally love not nlu dramas, but whole Japan, I'm thinking of going there for all summer and work...
Since I can't find job no living in Japan, I decided to use agency. The job would be HOSTESS...
For what they say, It seems fine with me. BUT...
This job has no good oponion in the Internet. And using such organisation also is critisized a lot.
I heard that even if they go just to be hostess some girls end up as prositutes. And, sure, that's not what I want.

Does anyone here have been working in Japan as hostess? Or have friend who was?
Or can give some links to clubs that trustworthy?
Or mybe it realy is dangerous?
Any advice?

This is very important for me...
Please write here, or PM me.

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Dec 11th, '06, 20:25

I think you're getting confused by what they mean based on what a hostess is here. Unlike here where a hostess just seats people and makes reservation, that is not what it is in Japan.

What those links were talking about is called a kyabakuraajo (or cabaret girl). They pretty much get paid to "entertain" men by touching them, wiping them, talking, and drinking with them, and yes unlike what you may see in dramas kyabakuraajo are expected to give out "extras" to certain customers.

If you can't speak the language and keep the men entertained with conversation over drinks, I'm not sure why you would get hired?

steam

Post by steam » Dec 11th, '06, 20:44

Code: Select all

I heard that even if they go just to be hostess some girls end up as prositutes. And, sure, that's not what I want. 
Really? Thats not what u want?...coulda fooled me. U trying to catch some big fish...just admit it. No shame, u got plenty company AND competition. Hope you are super hot.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Dec 11th, '06, 22:04

steam wrote: Really? Thats not what u want?
R O F L I thought of same thing when she said she wants to be a hostess and don't want to be a prostitute... I think she's just confused about the job though.

kotaeshiranaihito has an unreliable ID (well okay, neither do I), but he's right. Host != Hostess in Japan. I mean... If you can't speak Japanese to entertain the guests, you have to entertain them some other way *hint hint*, and yes, they will want to go *somewhere* with you afterwards.

lilrabbit

Post by lilrabbit » Dec 11th, '06, 22:31

There is a documentary called Tokyo Girls about women who are or have been hostesses in Japan. Perhaps you should watch it to learn a little more about the occupation.

Mada

Post by Mada » Dec 11th, '06, 22:41

Oh, wow, I wonder how you all actually have this broad knowledge about working as a hostess... maybe from dramas? Actually I have been a hostess in Japan this year too. And as much as it can be uncomfortable sometimes - you have to sit with people who chose you, and not the ones you chose, there is very very little danger of sexual harassment. In clubs it practically doesn't happen. It's safe, but you might want to reconsider if it's the job you really want to do. I don't recommend it.

tennyou

Post by tennyou » Dec 12th, '06, 09:05

steam wrote:

Code: Select all

Really? Thats not what u want?...coulda fooled me. U trying to catch some big fish...just admit it. No shame, u got plenty company AND competition. Hope you are super hot.

Of course I don't want be a prostuitute, I don't know what give you that impression. I want to be a hostess, with no extras.
From what agency says it is like in Mada's opinion. Chatting, looking nice, drinking... Making clients spend money...
But I'm note sure if what the agency says is truth.. Maybe thay are hiding "extras" as it was called.
They say I only need english, couse they have contracts with clubs that usually emply only gaijin girls, and clients knows that, so Japanese is not necessary, but it is halpeful
And I speek Japanese, not fluent yet, but intermediate.

I would like to see that documentary too. Is there any possibility to download it.?

And last thing: I wrote here for halep, and your comments weren nice...
I'm serious about this. I don't want any trouble after flying to Japan, so I want some info & advice.

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Dec 12th, '06, 15:58

I know that at this moment you might WANT to listen to mada more than the rest of us because she is telling you what you want to hear, but no one said anything rude to you.

You are posting here asking for advice on a job that involves solicitation, answers like the ones you received were actually more nice than what you would get one other boards, don't complain. What would you think if a japanese girl wanted to come here to work at hooters (I'm not sure what you personally would think, but many peoples' opinions of her would be low)?

We are giving you worst case scenario answers because you didn't give us any real information. What agency? what website? where in japan? for how long? A short version of what you wrote is "well this guy said he wanted me to go to this place to do this thing that involves me looking hot and pretending to be interested in guys to make them spend money". Not exactly a good way to get a serious answer.

For all we know this agency could be a human trafficking agency-they are very big in the asian and eastern european countries and they love getting their hands on foreigners because with their lack of language even if they escape they wouldn't be able to do much.

Considering the information you gave us, the answers were valid.

SSJSubgeta
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SSJSubgeta » Dec 12th, '06, 15:58

I recommend you go with someone like a buddy or do a pen-pal try to make a friend who will help you out a little. I think any type of help will help you out in the long run.

The hostess thing is alright, They can't force you to do those "extras", But your rating at the club will be low. You wont get many clients asking for you.

Also before sining anything get it in English or have a professional translator revise the file with you so you know what your getting yourself into. Like you mentioned look for clubs that have more reputable business. Good luck and be safe.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Dec 12th, '06, 16:06

not all hostess have to give out extras. i know a few when i was in japan. they are really STRONG willed personalities though, and native, and can fight off the advance expections. can a foreigner do that? plus they all left the job, and none speak fondly of it.

this strikes me a a bad move...going to a foreign country to a job where prosituition could be implied....bad move. bad move.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Dec 12th, '06, 16:53

i thought about this again and what i think some people (specifically KO above) are trying to say nicely is

you'd have to be an idiot to go abroad to work as a hostess if you have to be asking on a message board if such thing is ok. Seriously, you might wind up locked up in a place being a hooker. THINK...

sorry, i just got annoyed. this is NOT a good thing to do if you feel strangers are the people to ask for advice.

tennyou

Post by tennyou » Dec 12th, '06, 17:45

I rather expected that I will get advice of girls that have been working as hostess. Couse they know from expirience... But mostly man are answering... -_-"
Because I know such job might not be safe and "might wind up locked up in a place being a hooker" I wanted them to recomand some club or something.
And of course I'm THINKING.
People who don't think don't ask.
Anyway I don't want fight, ne.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Dec 12th, '06, 17:52

tennyou wrote:I rather expected that I will get advice of girls that have been working as hostess. Couse they know from expirience... But mostly man are answering... -_-"
Because I know such job might not be safe and "might wind up locked up in a place being a hooker" I wanted them to recomand some club or something.
And of course I'm THINKING.
People who don't think don't ask.
Anyway I don't want fight, ne.
i know people who are hostess. that's about as close as you will get.

i dont think you'll get responses from hostesses. remember, this site is mostly foreigners downloading drama, or people from countries outside of japan, not people currently in japan, from which you'd draw a pool of hostesses.

and im sorry to be rude, but i seriously don't understand why you'd consider being a hostess by discussing things on a message board as a source. a lot of people's reference would be watching drama, OR they are little kids.

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Dec 12th, '06, 18:01

http://www.japan-guide.com

Japanese people frequent that site all the time and like 75% of them are female (mostly looking for penpals/language exchange/foreign friends). Registration is free and you can email 8 people per day. I suggest you make friends with one of them and try asking them. Don't post on the message boards because few japanese people read those. just make friends with one.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Dec 12th, '06, 18:13

being a hostess isn't the greatest job but it's still safe and i believe you will be okay. BUT it would be a much better idea to check out the place and maybe meet people who work there before you take the job. throwing yourself into a situation you know nothing about can be dangerous. do you have any friends who live in japan?

basically it isn't the smartest idea. once you get used to japan though i feel you'd be just fine working as a hostess.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Dec 12th, '06, 18:14

also remember that a lot of people who are hostesses WANT you to be hostesses. there are people that get paid for the girls they bring it to work. (note: ever see the guys wearing the black shiny look like they are going to club suits, walking up and talking ot the girls who blow them off? while you are in japan? they are not asking them for dates. they are (often) telling them they are pretty and can make lots of money as a hostess, for which they get a fee)

shady business, be careful.

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Dec 12th, '06, 18:16

What I don't understand is why choose hostess? Why not apply to teach English as a foreign language instead? Isn't that usually the safest route to go - you would have a job waiting for you there, some advance cash at the beginning and sometimes, the agency might already have a place for you to live.

Anyways, I used to have an aquintance who is Chinese-Canadian and she went over to Japan (she was not close to even being fluent in Japanese) as an exchange student in her fifth year - she already completed her 4 years undergrad. For extra money, she ended up working as a hostess for about six months but this was like 6 years ago. She made quite a lot of money but she doesn't like talking about it because it wasn't something she would be bragging about.

Mada

Post by Mada » Dec 12th, '06, 21:43

nikochanr3 wrote:also remember that a lot of people who are hostesses WANT you to be hostesses. there are people that get paid for the girls they bring it to work. (note: ever see the guys wearing the black shiny look like they are going to club suits, walking up and talking ot the girls who blow them off? while you are in japan? they are not asking them for dates. they are (often) telling them they are pretty and can make lots of money as a hostess, for which they get a fee)l.
I think you mistake host -boys for some kind of weird human dealers... (>_>;) You know, host and hostess are normal legal jobs in Japan. It is a job where you are required to make your guest feel good, and happy and relxed. (the customer who came to the club you work at and you are also sitting by his table, making him drinks and talking, singing in karaoke, dancing). Wheter or not this becomes prostitution, depends on the girl only. From what I know, many club absolutely FIRE a hostess if they found out she's crossed the border with her client. Then again, some girls are just sluts and do it, but it doesn't mean this is the job. NO. Theoretically, you a like a stay-by-the-table waiter, dressed in a pretty dress. No sex involved.
I have had a lot of different experiences in this job for 3 months, and I didn't have any problems at all. I would just go to the club, dress up and wear make up and I'd go on talking all night with many many customers, drinking drinks (or juice) and making money from that.
But in the end, I would definately not go to this work again, becasue it's very absurd and it changes you, in a way. So, like other people, I recommend you try to find something else. Unless you're feeling strong and want to try it. If you do, please, please contact as many girls that worked in that club before (the agency MUST contact you with them), find out the name and address of the club,etc.
But if you can get a work of a teacher, become a teacher. I feel that work of a hostess is degrading for women. :/

Mada

Post by Mada » Dec 12th, '06, 21:48

Just type "hostess in Japan" in Google and you'll get many many web sites on this topc.
http://www.google.pl/search?q=hostess+i ... =firefox-a

http://www.bigempire.com/sake/hostess1.html

http://akasenkuiki.homestead.com/files/hostess.html

http://www.jobsinjapan.com/book/hostessing.html

Read all this and more. I agree with most of the staff written there. But, you actually never know until you experience it yourself. And guy, if you have no idea about this job, you only watched a drama or two and have never been to Japan, please don't give some kind of made up comments. It's not helping. Or just write "this is my private opinion based on drama" or something like that. ://

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Dec 13th, '06, 00:57

Mada wrote:
nikochanr3 wrote:also remember that a lot of people who are hostesses WANT you to be hostesses. there are people that get paid for the girls they bring it to work. (note: ever see the guys wearing the black shiny look like they are going to club suits, walking up and talking ot the girls who blow them off? while you are in japan? they are not asking them for dates. they are (often) telling them they are pretty and can make lots of money as a hostess, for which they get a fee)l.
I think you mistake host -boys for some kind of weird human dealers... (>_>;) You know, host and hostess are normal legal jobs in Japan. It is a job where you are required to make your guest feel good, and happy and relxed. (the customer who came to the club you work at and you are also sitting by his table, making him drinks and talking, singing in karaoke, dancing). Wheter or not this becomes prostitution, depends on the girl only. From what I know, many club absolutely FIRE a hostess if they found out she's crossed the border with her client. Then again, some girls are just sluts and do it, but it doesn't mean this is the job. NO. Theoretically, you a like a stay-by-the-table waiter, dressed in a pretty dress. No sex involved.
I have had a lot of different experiences in this job for 3 months, and I didn't have any problems at all. I would just go to the club, dress up and wear make up and I'd go on talking all night with many many customers, drinking drinks (or juice) and making money from that.
But in the end, I would definately not go to this work again, becasue it's very absurd and it changes you, in a way. So, like other people, I recommend you try to find something else. Unless you're feeling strong and want to try it. If you do, please, please contact as many girls that worked in that club before (the agency MUST contact you with them), find out the name and address of the club,etc.
But if you can get a work of a teacher, become a teacher. I feel that work of a hostess is degrading for women. :/
im not mistaking anything. the people i knew who were hostesses were not prositutes, but they were regularly propositioned for sex. and not all clubs or all girls discourage that, its just simply not true, ive seen it for my colleagues from the other side.

im not saying the host boys are bad, just that the people she asks for help may be people who WANT her to be a host and thus not as honest as could be about the job.

obviously i have no problem with host girls as i have friends (who i didnt meet in host bars) who are host girls, and my wife has a friend who was a hostess. but there is good and bad, and the bad is strange bad, if that make sense.

Mada

Post by Mada » Dec 13th, '06, 08:56

nikochanr3 wrote:but there is good and bad, and the bad is strange bad, if that make sense.
Yes! I'm happy someone agrees with me. I think I might know what you mean of the strange-bad, becasue it's a really unusual job and to westermeners, when you see it for the first time it's all WEIRD.
Also, sorry, I though you were talking about host boys. They are also standing on the streets trying lure girls into their club (10 000 for the first hour... plus drink and food and karaoke of course... boy, they'd have to be GORGEOUS to make me pay that much xD)

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Dec 13th, '06, 13:56

any job that you are selling your "self", your personality, your sexiness, whatever *not sex* is weird, and unless you have a very strong self of sense to separate that from the rest of your world, i think its something thats a bad idea. and my point all along has been that someone asking for this kind of thing on a message board might not be that kind of person.

its not a judgemental thing, a BEING A HOSTESS IS WRONG! its more a be careful kind of thing....i think dramas romanticize this kind of thing.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Dec 13th, '06, 14:10

correct me if i'm wrong, but i was under the impression the japanese government granting your visa specifically disallows visa holders to work as hosts, hostesses, etc...
the last person i worked with who's currently under visa in japan told me you had to sign an agreement to not work in such a field or even look for work of that nature...

Phearsome

Post by Phearsome » Dec 14th, '06, 07:26

i'll come to japan and be my hostess for the whole 2 months of summer :P haha j/k

but im also planning to go to japan for my summer, always wanted to since i was 12 :D haha

Chidori-Chan

Post by Chidori-Chan » Dec 14th, '06, 08:18

come on, girls as hostesses lose out more than guys as host....
if you truly want to be one, you should expect yourself to get into tight and unpleasant situations ...
if you just think you can entertain just by sitting there and serving drinks ... life isn't so straight forward most of the time .. so let's be serious here, you are being very naive about this. If you need the money, then I cannot say anymore, if not, why not find some other jobs ... or like a exchange thing ??
If I'm in japan, I want to vist a host club ^^ Haha ... to see some hot bishies...ahh....dreaming...prolly all ordinary guys..haha..

richardli

Post by richardli » Dec 15th, '06, 06:46

kotaeshiranaihito wrote:http://www.japan-guide.com

Japanese people frequent that site all the time and like 75% of them are female (mostly looking for penpals/language exchange/foreign friends). Registration is free and you can email 8 people per day. I suggest you make friends with one of them and try asking them. Don't post on the message boards because few japanese people read those. just make friends with one.
They also have a Japan Personals section with lots of Japanese there. You can see their pictures and profiles too before writing to them.

neko

Post by neko » Dec 15th, '06, 13:32

I think any job that involves rich men paying woman for a service is never going to be good. It's a shady business and I doubt it involves just sitting there and pouring them drinks. Besides, you'd be less likely to get a job as a foreigner. Get a job as an English teacher. www.findateacher.net I threw a profile up on there and got 4 students charging them 2000 yen per hour. Only thing I had going for me was that I grew up in America.

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Dec 15th, '06, 13:47

Chidori-Chan wrote:or like a exchange thing ??
well, as a hostess, she can exchange many things, clothes...etc...

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Dec 15th, '06, 14:19

May I ask where you're from? I don't think she can be an english teacher because of her grammar, and the words she uses feels like english is a second language to her.

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Dec 15th, '06, 14:50

First... what country are you in?

With all of the human trafficking going on in the world, the whole "work as a hostess" could just be a cover to coherce you into going to Japan to do something else. These folks can just bring you over on fake paperwork/visa, confiscate your passport, and hold you there against your will to do tons of things.

I don't know how they'd do that legally, either... To come over as a "hostess", you have to be a "professional" singer or "professional" entertainer to be granted a visa... They've really cracked down on allowing folks in to work in clubs over the past two years...

Plus, when you're a foreign girl, and pulled to work in one of these places, the clientel are mainly Japanese... so, you'll definately need Japanese...

Also, you'll most likely be restricted to the "dorms" they assign you. You may get the chance to get out and go to the convenience store... but, unless you're on a "Dohan", you won't be seeing outside of the club or your dorm area too often.

My friends used to drag me to these places... and I ended up knowing a bunch of them too well, so I learned how their lives sucked. The only foreigners that liked the job were the ones that got into Japan on their own and volunteered to work their freelance.

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Dec 15th, '06, 15:27

richardli wrote:
kotaeshiranaihito wrote:http://www.japan-guide.com

They also have a Japan Personals section with lots of Japanese there. You can see their pictures and profiles too before writing to them.
They do? I've never seen this. Are you talking about th banner? That's a link to a different page. It's a link to a japanese/foreigner internet dating site, which I'm pretty sure you have to pay for. I would ignore it if I were you. Since they are in a different country, you don't know how serious they are, it's not worth paying I think but it's your call.

Anyway, I'm wondering why people are still replying to this? All the posts sound the same and I doubt shes even reading them seriously anymore. By now, if she wants to do it, she will and nothing you guys write will change that.

gerryg

Post by gerryg » Dec 15th, '06, 15:28

It feels like this is wrong and you know it is wrong . You know you will be at a disadvantage yet you want to act like you dont know. Personally, I think the worst thing you are doing is trying to get approval from this board. You some how want permission/approval from this board to justify your action. Dont make anyone partake in your unwise decision. It one thing to be cruel to yourself, its another to be cruel to others.

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » Jan 21st, '07, 08:10

HEY tennyou!!! TAKE IT EASY!!!

i understand how you feel, i am also not a japanese native and i am also desparate [as in define desperate!!] to go to Japan... but if i were you find a more decent job... if you stiLL love yourself forget such crap... do you imagine yourself with an old japanese pervert?! [okay this is just a worst case scenario]...

but if you reaLLy have a guts to do it... then i wish you Luck! just make use of for brain and be wise though!!, dont end up being impregnated by a useLess japanese guy... you wiLL just feel sorry in the end