[Discussion] Cheap Love

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
DrThunderMeetsCaptainPlan

[Discussion] Cheap Love

Post by DrThunderMeetsCaptainPlan » Sep 23rd, '06, 02:27

About the VERY End of Cheap Love *lots of spoilers!!*

Does anyone else feel nauseous after that ending? I mean come on!! Just like that??? SO LAME! I would have loved this series if it hadn't had him getting stabbed like that by some lame nobody character. And now she has to raise a kid all by herself when they would have been great and loving parents together???!!! NO WAI!! And good grief, sometimes I think these Asian shows just do it to be cleaver or something without really thinking it through because that was just unnecessary and out of nowhere. I kept yelling "Pick up your cell phone and call an ambulance!" at his stupid dying face. ARG!!! Also, if he was stabbed in the stomach doesn't that usually take hours if not a day or two to kill you depending on where in the stomach area you were stabbed? So he had plenty of time to overcome the pain and call an ambulance on the phone he was JUST using to talk to Nanami with. Stupid Junichi and stupider writers. X(
Anyone else feel the need for a barf bag after this or did you like it?
Also, the kid spouting off his dad's pick up lines to other kids on the school yard was majorly lame as well. They just lost it in the last episode, man.

:cussing:

All around I enjoyed it, but that ending made me so angry!
:glare:

sosushi2

Post by sosushi2 » Sep 23rd, '06, 02:46

I hated the ending, too. Wish I had just watched it up until that point, then I could have said it was not a bad drama. It looked like they were going to overcome the obstacles and actually have a happy life. Too much to hope for, I guess.

mog08

Post by mog08 » Sep 23rd, '06, 04:13

I liked the ending, until the kid shows up. It should've stopped at Juni's death.
sosushi2 wrote:It looked like they were going to overcome the obstacles and actually have a happy life. Too much to hope for, I guess.
well, reality sucks. An all-girl-high-school sensei can't possibly discard all her social relations to live with a night-club-scout who sells women for money.

DrThunderMeetsCaptainPlan

Post by DrThunderMeetsCaptainPlan » Sep 26th, '06, 21:02

@ mog08 -
It looked like he'd given up scouting and was doing decent work as far as morality goes, and just because society doesn't approve of something like a relationship between two people doesn't mean that there's no hope for it. It is certainly possible for someone to give up all their social contacts for another person, and it happens all the time. It usually does not occur in a positive way, but nothing is keeping those people attached to her other than the will between them, and so if she decides that the benefits of being with him outweigh her social relations with others then it is her choice as an individual not to have relations with those who won't accept her choices.
And also, look at all the "different" couples that do exist happily in this world and then compare that to the vast number of "socially approved" couples who are unhappy and living crappy lives. If the two people are happy together and build a good life then others will see this and those who actually matter to the couple will generally come around towards acceptance. There has even been an article in Psychology Today I believe about this very thing. So I think it could have worked out.
Anyway, she was left pregnant and alone by the death of someone she loved dearly- a worse situation than if they had stayed together and faced these societal prejudices that are based on flawed logic and economic discrimination. If her parents had had their way, she would have lived a miserable life with a stalker freak of a husband who would control her and probably make her the exact opposite of happy. Perhaps Japan is incredibly insane about socio-economic status (that's my impression, but I can't be sure) but America has been incredibly insane about race and we still have had many successful interracial couples, so I'm sure the same can happen in Japan between people of different economic statuses. The illusion of status can very easily lead to people choosing partners who are in fact not right for them when there may be someone in a different status bracket who would suit them much better and whose experiences would balance well with theirs to create a beneficial and happy home.

Ultimately, it just made me so sick that the writers would dangle such a positive ending in front of us and then out of nowhere kill off the main character like it was nothing. And all that sappy writing he did with frosting and lighting candles was just dumb, also. He should have used that time to try and save his own life. BOOOO!!!
It also felt like a contrived ending. Maybe the station didn't have the guts to make a real statement about how silly economic statuses can be and so they copped out by implausibly killing off one of the main characters at the very end. Of course it would be the poorer character, too. This is just sheer discrimination cutting short a possibly positive message and it made me sick and disappointed in Japan.

mog08

Post by mog08 » Sep 29th, '06, 16:16

Too much to read. Can you summarise a little? I get the feeling you are disagreeing.

vivavn119

Post by vivavn119 » Sep 29th, '06, 16:45

I was so sad to see their life was chased by money, police, and Mafia,
and so happy when seeing they are together, he returns to be a normal person who working hardly for the family.
But I am so disappointed to see the last sceane, why he has to die ?
The killer doesn't get any punish, SOooo MUKATSUKU !!!!

But This is really Must to see drama, thank-you for sharing this drama for everyone :-)

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Oct 30th, '06, 01:31

The ending was probably the most realistic part of the drama. This drama was really unexpecting and did a 180 in the middle where it went from romantic/comedy type to action...haha...still good though.

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Nov 2nd, '06, 08:20

DrThunderMeetsCaptainPlan wrote: Ultimately, it just made me so sick that the writers would dangle such a positive ending in front of us and then out of nowhere kill off the main character like it was nothing. And all that sappy writing he did with frosting and lighting candles was just dumb, also. He should have used that time to try and save his own life. BOOOO!!!
It also felt like a contrived ending. Maybe the station didn't have the guts to make a real statement about how silly economic statuses can be and so they copped out by implausibly killing off one of the main characters at the very end. Of course it would be the poorer character, too. This is just sheer discrimination cutting short a possibly positive message and it made me sick and disappointed in Japan.
So... I understand what you mean, but at last, this is a drama ^-^ this ending or let's better say these endings are almost everytime part of such dramas. but therefor you have this little boy at the end.. I really liked this jdrama 'til this "want-to-be-your-husband"-guy appears...

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Mar 3rd, '07, 01:52

I completely agree with the original poster. This was shaping up to be a keeper until the last five minutes. Worse ending ever!