December 3 JLPT Anyone?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.

Taking the JLPT this year?

Poll ended at Dec 4th, '06, 05:10

Level 1
9%
Level 2
43%
Level 4
30%
The what???
17%

Total votes: 23

lanems

December 3 JLPT Anyone?

Post by lanems » Oct 23rd, '06, 05:10

Anyone taking the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test)?

If so, how are you studying and what level are you taking? For those who have taken it in the past, how did you prepare, how did you do, and what was your purpose for taking the test?

What country will you take the test in?

Cheers!

haruna_hamasaki

Post by haruna_hamasaki » Oct 23rd, '06, 05:26

LEVEL 3!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've passed Level 4, 3 years ago.... I'm proud of it.

I don't have proper preparation because I've studied Japanese for 7 years and I always seek for help from my Japanese sensei.

I'll take this exam in MALAYSIA, my own country.

yukino2002

Post by yukino2002 » Oct 23rd, '06, 08:19

Yeah, I'm going for Level 1!!! Wish me luck! :-)

nezagie

Post by nezagie » Oct 23rd, '06, 09:04

I am taking JLPT3 this year in S'pore... cleared level 4, 5 yrs ago.. geez.. it's a long time ago.... :lol

however, I still manage to retain what I have learnt... could be constantly listening to japanese music and as well as watching the dramas I guess :scratch:

anyway since I am holding a full-time job as well as doing a part-time course.. I find that keeping up with learning japanese is limited (time factor wise)... so what ever I have the free time at work, I will take out the kanji words and grammer to learn... :mrgreen:

@ haruna_hamasaki & yukino2002 good luck to both of U!!

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Oct 23rd, '06, 13:11

I was going to take level 2 but then decided against it. Due to laziness on my part, which is to say, too much drama (and video games... and going to the pub) and not enough study, I seriously doubt I could pass on the kanji requirement. Oh man I have forgotten so many kanji.. I am not too worried anyway, I dont really consider anything other than level 1 worth doing anyway. Maybe I will just wait until then... (I wonder how many years away that will be...)

haruna_hamasaki

Post by haruna_hamasaki » Oct 23rd, '06, 13:38

Aulcard wrote:I was going to take level 2 but then decided against it.
Have you finished your level 3 and level 4?

Two problems this year for me is kanji list and vocabs list for level 3..
I'm very bad in those two things.. :cry:

Riee109

Post by Riee109 » Oct 23rd, '06, 13:44

I'll try level 2 this years! I've never done level 3 or 4 but well, i'll just try :)
I'm going to take this test in Duesseldorf, Germany

Jon Snow

Post by Jon Snow » Oct 23rd, '06, 17:05

If guess you're are talking about Nihongo Nôryoku Shiken.
I'm going for level 2...

yukino2002

Post by yukino2002 » Oct 23rd, '06, 18:58

nezagie wrote:I am taking JLPT3 this year in S'pore... cleared level 4, 5 yrs ago.. geez.. it's a long time ago.... :lol

however, I still manage to retain what I have learnt... could be constantly listening to japanese music and as well as watching the dramas I guess :scratch:

anyway since I am holding a full-time job as well as doing a part-time course.. I find that keeping up with learning japanese is limited (time factor wise)... so what ever I have the free time at work, I will take out the kanji words and grammer to learn... :mrgreen:

thx nezagie! i really need to start studying more frequently. i know what u mean about finding the time to study while holding a full time job. although for me...laziness plays a larger role than it should :whistling:

good luck to everyone else who's taking it too!

Pasko

Post by Pasko » Oct 23rd, '06, 19:04

level 2 for me , i'll do my best!

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Oct 24th, '06, 06:02

meh, i was going to take the level 2, but.... ehh...
never got around to studying, so...

ephesus
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ephesus » Oct 24th, '06, 06:06

I was planning on taking level 1 but ironically i'm going to miss it because i'm going to be flying back from a 2 week vacation in Japan that day.

nezagie

Post by nezagie » Oct 27th, '06, 13:55

yukino2002 wrote:
nezagie wrote:I am taking JLPT3 this year in S'pore... cleared level 4, 5 yrs ago.. geez.. it's a long time ago.... :lol

thx nezagie! i really need to start studying more frequently. i know what u mean about finding the time to study while holding a full time job. although for me...laziness plays a larger role than it should :whistling:

good luck to everyone else who's taking it too!
Yap... laziness reminds me of :sleeping: which happens to me most of the time :lol
well... all the best for all of us here :-) ganbare minan!

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Oct 27th, '06, 18:16

I wanted to take the level 1 test last year, but I was late for registration. I took some practice tests and they were hard as hell.

neme_chan

Post by neme_chan » Oct 27th, '06, 18:31

'll be taking level 2. Passing is improbable, since I have no time to study kanji right now, and the teachers just rushed through the lv 2 book >__<

I took lvl 4 in 2003, and lvl 3 in 2004, and passed. I didn't study especially for either of them, though.. just attended my weekly classes and did homework. So, for those of you trying these levels, ganbare! ^_^ The gap between lv 3 and lv 2 is amazing.. so good luck for us taking lvl 2. And whoever is taking lvl 1, you're brave :salut:

lanems

Post by lanems » Oct 28th, '06, 03:17

I've been going through the "Kanzen Master" series for Level 2, I won't be finished with the book by the time I take the test but it's something to do every day. It's mainly listening comprehension and Kanji recognitiion. I have another book that is for grammar but it's entirely written in Japanese and it's taking me too long to decipher... I'm not sure if that is a sign that I can never possibly pass or what.

If anyone has any good study materials please pass them on here! I know there are a few websites that help people prepare for the test:

http://www.jlpt-kanji.com/
http://www.jgram.org/

I'm not a big fan of rote memorization or believe it really helps in the long run, but it does help you pass tests... I was trying to find a way to get ahold of scripts to some dramas for study purposes but I haven't had any luck finding any.

jellybeano

Post by jellybeano » Oct 28th, '06, 03:29

i guess i am the lousiest here then. :P i am gonna take jlpt 4 this year! and i am quite scared actually cuz i am always too lazy to study for it. (x is kan ji that hard? :-(

Natsume Maya

Post by Natsume Maya » Oct 28th, '06, 03:36

I´m taking Level 3 this year! I´ve passed level 4 last year
Level 2 is sooo far away :cry:

I´ll take the test in Brazil
Good luck everyone!! :thumleft:

nxi4

JLPT

Post by nxi4 » Oct 28th, '06, 10:38

I passed level 1 back in 2004, i dread it but i guess i should really take it again perhaps 2007 or 2008. my level has dropped so much, just because i am not going to school anymore.

as far as advice goes, once you get to this stage (october) i really think that the best way to prepare is doing lots of past papers. there is a certain degree of repeat/similar questions that come up time and time again. especially the grammar. i was fortunate to have access to photocopies of endless past exam papers and doing them under exam conditions was really good practice.

level one gets a lot of respect when looking for jobs here in Japan (especially when you are western or from a non-kanji country), but generally level 2 is usually the requirement and is considered 'business level'.

good luck to everyone who is doing it this year! :-)

hex

Post by hex » Oct 30th, '06, 12:51

neme_chan wrote:'ll be taking level 2. Passing is improbable, since I have no time to study kanji right now, and the teachers just rushed through the lv 2 book >__<

I took lvl 4 in 2003, and lvl 3 in 2004, and passed. I didn't study especially for either of them, though.. just attended my weekly classes and did homework. So, for those of you trying these levels, ganbare! ^_^ The gap between lv 3 and lv 2 is amazing.. so good luck for us taking lvl 2. And whoever is taking lvl 1, you're brave :salut:
@_@ im almost the same as you
i took level 4 in 2004
level 3 in 2005

X_X ... taking level 2 this year..... i think im going to fail
[i dont have tutoring..and school-level Japanese is useless since i'm still in high school...]

T_T... its not the kanji in the comprehension texts that get you, its the ones in the answers that kill....

but yeah, to everyone else ^__^ GOOD LUCK!! ONE MONTH LEFT!!
Last edited by hex on Feb 4th, '07, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

jellybeano

Post by jellybeano » Oct 31st, '06, 06:04

hex wrote:T_T... its not the kanji in the comprehension texts that get you, its the ones in the answers that kill....
haha. i guess learning chinese helps in your kanji a lot. ^^

加油!

hex

Post by hex » Oct 31st, '06, 06:55

jellybeano wrote:
hex wrote:T_T... its not the kanji in the comprehension texts that get you, its the ones in the answers that kill....

加油!
XD my mother's a chinese/manderin teacher....... :doh: i can speak, but i cant read much....
.....X____X starting to think i know more kanji pronounciation than chinese characters

for anyone doing level 2 : which of the practice tests do you think were the most difficult?

neme_chan

Post by neme_chan » Nov 7th, '06, 02:16

hex wrote:
jellybeano wrote:

加油!
XD my mother's a chinese/manderin teacher....... :doh: i can speak, but i cant read much....
.....X____X starting to think i know more kanji pronounciation than chinese characters

for anyone doing level 2 : which of the practice tests do you think were the most difficult?
The hardest part for me are those questions in which I have to mark the right kanji for a certain reading... Kanji is my weak point, I don't seem to have a lot of visual memory. One thing that seems to prove that point is that I do well in vocabulary, and best in choukai (the listening part)...

I'm trying to revise kanji these last days before the exam, but it might be a crazy idea.. maybe I should concentrate on doing the past year's tests...

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Nov 7th, '06, 06:28

I find that although kanji is probably the thing I find easiest to learn, because I am lazy and dont study enough, read or write enough I constantly forget. I must have learnt then forgotten 500 kanji in the last few months.

I guess the problem is that I find written study so atrociously boring. I like to watch dramas and converse in Japanese, even though they are my weakest points and as such I have trouble with comprehending and also talking without sounding like some kind of a jackass. Nonetheless, talking is fun, and I certainly enjoy watching dramas. But reading etc.. ugh. For example, I suck too much to read most adult level stuff, so reading it quickly becomes tiresome and I stop. If I read stuff targeted at children, I also have trouble because most stuff is written in hiragana and without kanji I may as well be looking at a page full of scribbles. I prefer kanji over hiragana any day. So I cant read childrens books either. So I end up just not reading at all. Hence my kanji, reading comprehension etc sucks so I cant pass JLPT.

Studying text books is even worse. I dread class every day at the moment because all of the topics are mind numbingly boring, like ergonomic design, television ratings, the emergence of part time work, blah! I hate it!

I especially dislike the question formats in Japanese textbooks. They are always the same, with '適当な答えを選びなさい' written at the top, then under that will be some random assortment of words, boxes, lines, diagrams, frigging just about anything and the actual means of answering the question is apparently supposed to be obvious when it is anything but so. I dread that the JLPT will be the same as this..since I have never taken one, I dont know.

neme_chan

Post by neme_chan » Nov 7th, '06, 23:13

Aulcard wrote:I find that although kanji is probably the thing I find easiest to learn, because I am lazy and dont study enough, read or write enough I constantly forget. I must have learnt then forgotten 500 kanji in the last few months.

I guess the problem is that I find written study so atrociously boring. I like to watch dramas and converse in Japanese, even though they are my weakest points and as such I have trouble with comprehending and also talking without sounding like some kind of a jackass. Nonetheless, talking is fun, and I certainly enjoy watching dramas. But reading etc.. ugh. For example, I suck too much to read most adult level stuff, so reading it quickly becomes tiresome and I stop. If I read stuff targeted at children, I also have trouble because most stuff is written in hiragana and without kanji I may as well be looking at a page full of scribbles. I prefer kanji over hiragana any day. So I cant read childrens books either. So I end up just not reading at all. Hence my kanji, reading comprehension etc sucks so I cant pass JLPT.

Studying text books is even worse. I dread class every day at the moment because all of the topics are mind numbingly boring, like ergonomic design, television ratings, the emergence of part time work, blah! I hate it!

I especially dislike the question formats in Japanese textbooks. They are always the same, with '適当な答えを選びなさい' written at the top, then under that will be some random assortment of words, boxes, lines, diagrams, frigging just about anything and the actual means of answering the question is apparently supposed to be obvious when it is anything but so. I dread that the JLPT will be the same as this..since I have never taken one, I dont know.
I have better memory to remember the words than to remember their kanji... but I know what you mean about studying itself being boring. I want to understand Japanese, talk in Japanese and read it.. what I like is the communication part itself. And most of the time, especially after the first levels, studying just won't give you that feeling of really "using" the language.

Another thing that bothers me is that my teacher is simply going too fast. 25 level 2 kanji per class, and you will hear from every student that he can't even remember which ones we had last class anymore. My memory is very vocabulary-oriented, for some reason... so, as I watch drama and listen to music, I will easily remember the kanji for words that might not show up in the exam, and will NEVER remember the 4 kanji for "industrial production system". Especially if the teacher spends 2 minutes on it and I never use it anymore...

So, yes, I've pretty much given up on the exam this year. Shikata nai.

On another note, you should try to get copies of the JLPT exams to see how they are exactly.. might make some interesting study. Or not :D

lanems

Post by lanems » Nov 7th, '06, 23:43

I think studying a language for a test and communicating with that language have always been separate things. I'm amazed at how many people can become proficient in English through rote memorization and boring classes though, it makes me wonder if there's something wrong with me...

I agree, studying by dramas or leisure activities won't prepare you for the JLPT but it will give you the basics to help you enjoy using the language...

On a side note, why do all Japanese textbooks seem to cover the aging society, women's roles in the workforce, and part-time jobs? I have no idea who decided these topics were important to learners of Japanese but they seem to apply across the board in intermediate to advanced textbooks. I know it's just as bad in a lot of English textbooks... I've never seen a Japanese textbook take a "communicative approach" though, I think people assume anyone studying Japanese is doing it out of some kind of masochistic pleasure and will never really "use" the language.

Most Japanese textbooks seem to reflect the test-orientated nature of education in Japan. Chapters are broken up into grammar as if you can force a certain order of acquisition on a student and expect them to proficiently use that which they read and memorize. And by "use" I mean tick the proper box on a test, not actually communicate - why would a language textbook bother with that? I wish there were more to the Genki books, I always thought they were the best organized and presented books I had seen. You always find yourself jumping up to reading newspaper articles on boring statistics when you're not quite ready.

I think some people take offense when English speakers find a need to learn Japanese, as if it says something about the level of English education in Japan... Really though, it can't be helped. Good luck to everyone, test vouchers are starting to go out (if you haven't already gotten yours).

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Nov 8th, '06, 05:07

lanems wrote:Most Japanese textbooks seem to reflect the test-orientated nature of education in Japan. Chapters are broken up into grammar as if you can force a certain order of acquisition on a student and expect them to proficiently use that which they read and memorize. And by "use" I mean tick the proper box on a test, not actually communicate - why would a language textbook bother with that? I wish there were more to the Genki books, I always thought they were the best organized and presented books I had seen. You always find yourself jumping up to reading newspaper articles on boring statistics when you're not quite ready.
I could not agree more. It is not just the textbooks themselves that are the problem, even the teachers are like this. For example, this week we did the obligatory chapter on part time work. The teacher asks a question based on the text. Now because I have spent a fair amount of time in education emphasizing actual thought and also because I am generally analytical by nature, I interpret the text and apply it and common knowledge together and answer in a more general way that both answers the question asked and builds upon the facts presented in the text. And what do I get for my trouble? The teachers looks at me as if I am stupid. So I proceed to explain the logic behind my answer, which is usually something totally obvious anyway. After which the teacher admits that my analysis is correct but then proceeds to tell me the correct answer is exactly whatever is written in the text book. I cant even answer in my own words half of the time, if I do I get asked to read word for word what is in the text book. I also get told that in an exam the only properly 'correct' answer is exactly whatever is written in the text, not what may actually be correct or applicable.

Honestly it is extremely frustrating. Still, as far as language instruction goes, I far prefer education in Japan to that in Australia. My university in Australia seems to think a proper course structure for people learning Japanese is 25% japanese, 25% history, 50% second major. I envy the chinese, malaysian students etc whose home country universities allow them to study japanese exclusively. I cant believe second years with no prior japanese experience are far more skilled in Japanese than me even though I have studied for almost three years.

Anyway that was kind of off topic so... I guess I will add this:

I do wish rather than level 4,3,2,1, JLPT was structured like TOEIC. That way one could get a more realistic assessment of Japanese skill. Since for example, I know people at JLPT level 1 who arent actually that fantastic at Japanese, yet they can achieve the highest possible grade because of the severely limited grading structure. I mean 4 levels doesnt exactly give much discrimination.

shinhaku

Post by shinhaku » Nov 9th, '06, 01:51

omg, i dont even know JLPT stands for 'till i read the 1st post, except J , i know its stands for Japan. I wish i could be qualified to take Level 1 (is it the lowest level ? i read some post and it seems level 4 is the lowest or sth, anyways, i mean whatever is the lowest level) XD

beldaran

Post by beldaran » Nov 28th, '06, 21:55

i was going to take lvl 3 but got talked into taking lvl 2. it's been 4 years since i've had a formal japanese class. i haven't really been keeping up that well since. this was all decided on the last day of registration... and i've really only barely had time to study during the month of november. been going through the kanji flashcards... (and i actually haven't finished going through all of them yet)... picked up a 2kyuu grammar book... and gave a copy of the 2005 test a shot... (i passed on that copy for some reason, but i'm sure my butt will be thoroughly kicked this upcoming weekend). i carry my study materials everywhere, but barely look at them... _-_;;

i'll be taking the test in seattle. this will be my first time.

hepcat05

Post by hepcat05 » Nov 28th, '06, 22:36

I'm taking Level 3. I'm not too worried about the vocabulary or listening comprehension, but the grammar section is gonna suck. :unsure:

risa

Post by risa » Nov 29th, '06, 06:46

I'm possibly going to take the Level 4 test, but I'd have to fly out to LA to take it since my city doesn't give it as far as I know.

rickt

Post by rickt » Nov 29th, '06, 11:24

taking level 4 this year! oh man.. only a few days left and I haven't started revising anything...... :cry:

Pasko

Post by Pasko » Dec 3rd, '06, 07:47

finally the time has come!
i'm taking the exam in a few hours
has anyone took level two in japan today?
was it hard?

jocutus

Post by jocutus » Dec 3rd, '06, 09:15

Well, I'm far away from thinking about that test, but to all of you:
GOOD LUCK

rickt

Post by rickt » Dec 3rd, '06, 13:58

took my test (level 4) this afternoon. it was okay. some questions were straight forward, some were quite confusing.. now I can't wait for the result to come out! when will it be? mid/end of Jan? or longer than that?

and how did everyone go? good?

kurainsan

Post by kurainsan » Dec 3rd, '06, 20:25

I took level 3 this afternoon and it was as expected. Though some of the listening was quite mystrious. ;-)
But I think I passed. The results are normale due in april.

Pasko

Post by Pasko » Dec 3rd, '06, 21:08

i think i've failed level 2 :(
although their was not a single kanji that i couldn't read, the grammar part was too long for me...

Aulcard

Post by Aulcard » Dec 4th, '06, 01:54

My friend took JLPT level 1 yesterday. She seemed less than optimistic about the test. Infact she thinks she will fail. I was shocked to learn that the test went for 5 hours! That is crazy. I dont know anyone who could effectively be tested for that long without losing concentration completely. She said she felt tired and couldnt concentrate by the third part of the test and screwed it up completely. Then she proceeded to say that Japanese people are crazy for having such ridiculous testing procedures. This coming from a Korean and I hear their education system isnt exactly fun and games either. Now I am certainly glad I didnt sit the exam..

Philosoranter

Post by Philosoranter » Dec 4th, '06, 02:28

I took level 2 today. I probably should have taken level 1, but I didn't want to have to study. I'm pretty certain I passed. Looking forward to getting the scores in March...

Riee109

Post by Riee109 » Feb 22nd, '07, 13:45

HI :)
Did you get you're score get?
Mine came today and.... I PASSED the 2kyuu ! *scream* *jump*

Pasko

Post by Pasko » Feb 22nd, '07, 14:14

I got mine too !

i passed 2kyuu with 75% yeaaaaaaaaaah!

asuran_rocks

Post by asuran_rocks » Feb 22nd, '07, 14:29

the results are out already??!! i took lvl 4 last yr but my jap language centre hasn't given me the results.. =(((

*crosses fingers*

hex

Post by hex » Feb 23rd, '07, 06:55

^^" FAILED LEVEL 2!!!

>_<...i did pretty well in the kanji and listening.......but screwed up in the grammar section...
:-( ill study on the grammar and retake it this year.

anyone with me?

+congrats to those that passed :D !!

inochi

Post by inochi » Feb 24th, '07, 08:56

i didn't know about the JLPT at all until just now when i saw this thread. congrats to those who passed their levels and がんばり続いて to those who are trying!

thanks to this thread i think i might have created another ambition to work towards..this gives me a whole new way to learn Japanese.

it's a bit late but for those future visitors don't forget to go to wikipedia's JLPT entry for links to websites that help you study.

anoney

Post by anoney » Mar 4th, '07, 00:11

I took 2-kyuu and passed! 250/400 was my overall mark (62% I think). I was the first to see the results of everyone who took the exam in the UK because I was helping out on the admin side :)

I didn't do any revision at all (I was swamped with University work at the time) so I wandered in expecting to fail big time (no to mention, this is the first time I've taken any level of the JLPT). Imagine my surprise when I found out the results. I'm going for 1-kyuu this year (I'll be in Japan when I do it) so I better start on those 2000 odd kanji needed to pass that... :)

Congratulations to all that passed, regardless of level. And a hearty がんばってください! to those who didn't.

jessiesoon
Malaysia

Post by jessiesoon » Mar 5th, '07, 05:27

i've passed mine too!!! even tho it's jz Level 4!!!!
guess i'll hav to study harder for Level 3...but dun think i will b able to sit for this yr's test...
but anyway, congrats to all those who passed and those who didnt, don't mind! don't mind!

buraemon

Post by buraemon » Mar 5th, '07, 16:13

how was the level 1 test??

i'll be taking it this year...i am not sure how ready i'll be though. right now i have over 600 hours of study and about 1100 kanji, but i am hoping to bring that up by the end of the year. i've looking over the level 2 stuff and i didn't miss that many of practice questions, but i still want to review the material to make sure that i will be ready for level 1. this will be my first time taking the test so i think i might go over 3 just in case there was anything that slipped through the cracks.

how did everyone prepare? recently i've been looking into different study books...which ones did you use?

asuran_rocks

Post by asuran_rocks » Mar 7th, '07, 18:28

yay! i got my results for jlpt 4 =) 352/400...
argh i can't take level 3 this year because of school exams, dang