Japanese learning>> web application: your OPINION PLZ

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
kirara

Japanese learning>> web application: your OPINION PLZ

Post by kirara » Mar 5th, '07, 17:24

I am in the process of developing a web based application that teach Japanese, and I wanted to know what and how do you want the application to look like, for example what kind of functions do you want the application to provide or how the windows look like, also what do you think will be most useful to add that can make the learning of Japanese easier...enough talking for me...plz just say whatever you like to see in a web that teach Japanese :D

Tatsuri

Post by Tatsuri » Mar 5th, '07, 17:40

Well there was one that I had downloaded. It was in the forum of a game. You had to go around and defeat all the slugs in the forest to rescue the princess but spelling the words or picking the right kanji. I like things like that becuase I learn best when I have fun playing. If there was a way to have something pronounce the words then that would be good. there are a lot of websites out that tell you the meanings and other words but you're never sure if you are saying those words right.

kirara

Post by kirara » Mar 5th, '07, 18:02

Yes thats my objective to make it fun ... so you like games more than the static way of learning like taking lessones one by one then a quizz or a practice?thats interesting...and did you mean the text-to-speach feature to pronounce the words..

Tatsuri

Post by Tatsuri » Mar 5th, '07, 18:09

kirara wrote:Yes thats my objective to make it fun ... so you like games more than the static way of learning like taking lessones one by one then a quizz or a practice?thats interesting...and did you mean the text-to-speach feature to pronounce the words..
Yes games are fun. People can remember games more. They can also remember music.

Yes yes the text-to-speech feature. That way you can pronounce the words correctly. I was asked earlier this week How do I pronounce "Jin". Does it ryhme with "Gin" or "clean". So the text-to-speak thing will help understandhow vowels are pronounced.

Most websites I've tried always started out with learning how to say your name and what certain phrases are like.

watashi
desu
wa
kun
anata
mo

words like that. I think thats good in some cases but to me the most important thing is to learn the kanji. Well thats just me. But for watching drama's knowing certain words is good because you can figure out what is being said.

wallflower

Post by wallflower » Mar 7th, '07, 07:45

Ohh.. teach us how to write Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana as well :D
And make it fun. o.o Anddd.. yeah.
Well.. Yeah. XD
There's a really cool chart here:
http://www.e-artjapan.com/zen/images/hi ... rt-aiu.gif
o.o + some others from e-japanart.com I think it was. Really useful. ;3

endoftime

Post by endoftime » Mar 7th, '07, 08:07

Tatsuri--Do you remember where you found that game? I'd love an additional learning tool!

Kirara--Your idea sounds great! がんばってください。

If teaching katakana/hiragana/kanji, it would be nice to do a visual with brush strokes, if possible. The course books that I use don't teach me that. ^_^

experimentchocolate

Post by experimentchocolate » Mar 9th, '07, 00:32

Hey, what are those websites called? The one with the game sounds really fun! :D

daelite

Post by daelite » Mar 31st, '07, 21:52

I encourage you to start it with hiragana and katakana right away- avoid romaji as much as possible. I think it helps people learn faster and they'll feel good to be able to read 'actual' Japanese early on. Romaji seems to slow the learning process down and there are several different types... so go straight for the Japanese :)

Good luck!