[Discussion] LIAR GAME (All Seasons)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
haruna_hamasaki

[Discussion] LIAR GAME (All Seasons)

Post by haruna_hamasaki » Mar 31st, '07, 11:47

Info taken from DramaWiki.

Synopsis:
Based on the manga series of the same name, Toda Erika plays an honest college student, Kanzaki Nao, who receives a million dollars one day, along with a card saying she has been chosen to take part in the "Liar Game". The aim of the game is to trick the other players out of their one million dollars. At the end, the winner gets one million dollars and the loser is one million dollars in debt. Horrified, Nao tries to contact the game organizers to give them their money back. Her old high school teacher offers to help, but it turns out he actually is her opponent in the game, and easily tricks her out of her million dollars. Coincedentally, Nao notices a newspaper article one day regarding an ex-swindler named Akiyama Shinichi. Desperate, she contacts him for help.

Casts:
Toda Erika as Kanzaki Nao
Matsuda Shota as Akiyama Shinichi
Kitamura Soichiro
Watanabe Ikkei
Kichise Michiko
Fukui Tomonobu

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 31st, '07, 12:10

OOOOO I like the plot I can't wait to see the drama. When does it come out?

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 31st, '07, 12:14

ahhhhh Its Sojiro and that evil Umi-chan from HYD2 hahaha I will watch this for sure. This is the only way I will no longer dislike her. To see her in a new light

Christabel

Post by Christabel » Apr 1st, '07, 21:22

Im looking forward to watch this drama too =)
I think this new season we'll have a lot of drama to watch! ne?

T-chan

Post by T-chan » Apr 1st, '07, 22:19

Oooh! really looking forward to this! I don't know why, but I really really like Shota! He's a good actor, must take after his brother (whom I also adore, he did a great job as Ren in NANA)!

Also; the plot sounds interesting and it will be nice to see him have a more central role. Not to mention that Erika plays here too, and she's great!

malljclay

Post by malljclay » Apr 1st, '07, 23:26

ouuuu
sounds good
i wanna see : )

rikki

Post by rikki » Apr 2nd, '07, 09:16

I also want to see :D
The plot reminds me of Kurosagi to an extent.
I can't wait!

notimeforfairytales

Post by notimeforfairytales » Apr 2nd, '07, 10:50

I'm excited about this one. I wasn't initially, but now I am! It looks really good.

And now that I don't really dislike Toda Erika anymore (I did after seeing her as Umi in HYD2.. but then I saw Nobuta and THnK and kinda liked her in those dramas.. so my burning hate died.. lol), I'm looking forward to seeing her in a new drama. Same goes for Shota. I'm not a big fan of his, but he's an interesting actor.

kawaiigarden

Post by kawaiigarden » Apr 2nd, '07, 22:09

Me too I'm really excited about that one.I can't wait to see it.There'll be such great doramas in april, as Bambino (Jun hot), Proposal daisakusen (Yamapi cute) and Liar Game with Shota and Toda, I'm so excited to see them after HYD2.

Ryv X

Post by Ryv X » Apr 5th, '07, 02:05

I saw how Shotas character looks in the drama..his hair looks weird. It still sounds like a good dorama. Does anybody know if any groups are going to sub it?

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Apr 5th, '07, 02:34

I've been waiting for about a month for someone to announce they were subbing this and I still haven't heard anything. I want to see this so badly though. I love Shota so much.

xdieselx

Post by xdieselx » Apr 5th, '07, 08:01

S-projects already announced that they're going to sub this drama. :D

T-chan

Post by T-chan » Apr 5th, '07, 15:10

Yay! Then with someone subbing it, that means it's really time to really start looking forward for it to come!

*cheers*

minnilu

Post by minnilu » Apr 5th, '07, 16:54

....awww ...definitely watching xD~ >.< ... so s-projects is subbing it? ...yay ^.^

loveWG

Post by loveWG » Apr 5th, '07, 18:03

Yay! Looking forward to this ;)

S-Projects, thanks in advance.

sheep11

Post by sheep11 » Apr 6th, '07, 05:17

it comes out on april 14! can't wait to see it! the plot looks good, and i like both leads!

kawaiigarden

Post by kawaiigarden » Apr 6th, '07, 08:18

Yes S-Project thank you so much.Liar Game is a good goog choice.

tianj

Post by tianj » Apr 6th, '07, 09:28

Sorry to tell everyone this, but siantut, due to copyright laws in Japan(she lives in Japan), won't be subbing any jdramas from now on since consequences of subbing is a bit drastic in Japan.

kawaiigarden

Post by kawaiigarden » Apr 6th, '07, 09:31

Oh My God, so we'll not have subs for this drama.OH they're so strict in Japan.Can they think about drama fan all over the world.

dragonpoetry

Subtitling and the Market Forces

Post by dragonpoetry » Apr 7th, '07, 20:09

No, they don't think of fansubbing all over the world. In fact, they'd really like to stamp it out if they could.

I do think that the companies putting the production money into these dramas are not well-served by then hiring Joe's Subtitling & Ura Video Shack to do the "official" translations and subtitles. There is nothing to turn off a potential fan (and market!) faster than subtitles that make little or no sense in the target language. ("Backstroke of the West" comes to mind --that's the translated title for a bad Revenge of the Sith translation copy)

Yet, if they could spend very little extra and get decent translations for the videos from people who speak the language idiomatically in both the original language and the target, they'd grow a market.

What they worry about is quite obviously NOT the translation. No, what they are worried about is the loss of revenue due to file sharing. I argue that if they'd just give us clever translations and then make it available to download for a price, they'd have serious bank rolling in.

Just think about the ability to pick and choose from ANY asian/foreign drama with subtitles done on the quality level that amrayu and company did for Hana Yori Dango (have I said thank you for that? Thank you!). Gives me chills of pleasure just thinking about being able to get that without feeling like I'm a customer at a Speakeasy*.

I hope that Liar Game DOES get translated. I am SO looking forward to that one.

--dragonpoetry

*Speakeasy - in the 1920's in the USA, alcohol was outlawed through federal laws. After alcohol was made illegal, small private clubs sprang up to offer alcohol to the masses for a price. Police would often raid these clubs as they found them. You'd have to know someone who was a member to get access to the club, and then they were found in back alleys and required special passwords and knowledge to get in. When Prohibition was repealed, the clubs vanished.

Of course, now we have the Pot Runners that maintain databases and pin codes and use runners to deliver your weed to your home. I kid you not.

cantiara

Post by cantiara » Apr 8th, '07, 20:23

tianj wrote:Sorry to tell everyone this, but siantut, due to copyright laws in Japan(she lives in Japan), won't be subbing any jdramas from now on since consequences of subbing is a bit drastic in Japan.
Aww, that's too bad indeed. I also read in siantut's forum that she especially called the TV Network just to confirm their stand on the issue; I really appreciate her for doing that. I just hope that another fansubber who doesn't live in Japan will pick this up, since it seems like a quite interesting drama.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 8th, '07, 20:36

Toda Erica is really H.O.T lately! I can't wait to see her in starring role this time :thumleft:

novemberbaby

Post by novemberbaby » Apr 9th, '07, 01:00

Can't wait to see this since I love psychological thrillers. Not to mention that Toda Erika is in this as well as Shota. Hope to see some improvement in acting.

foxhana

Post by foxhana » Apr 9th, '07, 19:27

can someone post pics of this? so that i know what it is.. :)

iloveoki
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by iloveoki » Apr 13th, '07, 12:01

Well, about copyright laws...

I heard that siantut is going to write detailed reports about the episodes on her website. The thing about fansubs is that you are producing your own work off of copyrighted material. (at least in Japan...) I think that siantut is doing a really smart thing. I wouldn't mind watching episodes raw and then reading about the pieces I didn't understand. Whenever I read subs, I can get distracted and its hard to enjoy. I am actually looking forward to siantut's reviews.

iloveoki

blackstarjr

Post by blackstarjr » Apr 13th, '07, 13:07

Toda Erika :wub: ..The only reason plus plot or kinda interesting since deja vu to kurosagi kinda..cannot wait to watch it

orichan

Post by orichan » Apr 13th, '07, 16:53

Hi all.

I am joinning this forum for this series. I am super excited about it because I have read the manga since day one. It's too bad the manga is not translated into English cause even though the art is kind of sucky, it's really quite good.

I am just wondering if anyone here can translate the psychology lesson on the LiarGame website. It looks very interesting.

ps
If anyone know Chinese, then they don't have to worry about subbing cause a group already announced the project.

avexdevil

Post by avexdevil » Apr 13th, '07, 17:51

all i know this is gonna be like another kurosagi, which i personally did not enjoy...

i'm watching this just for toda erika ^_^.

phew lucky someone is subbing this in chinese! i've been getting most of my drama fixes from btpig or clubbox anyway, english subs take too long to be released...

orichan

Post by orichan » Apr 14th, '07, 02:14

Personally, I think LiarGame is very different from an episodic show like Kurosagi. But that's for you to decide when you do watch the show.

I wrote a long post detailing some of the differences, but the reply system ate the post up. :cussing:

aeris0729

Post by aeris0729 » Apr 14th, '07, 02:50

i hate UMI!! i dont think that my first impression on her will change because of this new drama.. i dont want her to be with shota..though there are rumors that the two of them are dating..and i hate that!!!GGGRRR!!

nagaioyasumi

Post by nagaioyasumi » Apr 14th, '07, 04:44

aeris0729 wrote:i hate UMI!! i dont think that my first impression on her will change because of this new drama.. i dont want her to be with shota..though there are rumors that the two of them are dating..and i hate that!!!GGGRRR!!
For the love of God, the actress's name is Toda Erika! Umi is just the name of the character she played in HYD2. There is a difference between the two!

That said, I'm really looking forward to Liar Game tonight. I can't wait to see Matsuda Shota in a role other than Soujirou - even though he looked absolutely horrid on the Iitomo Spring SP. If done well, this drama can be really good. I hope it doesn't turn out like the cheesy mess that was Kurosagi.

ETA: To the people who have read the manga, is there any romance between the two leads?
Last edited by nagaioyasumi on Apr 14th, '07, 10:56, edited 4 times in total.

gemtsoi

Post by gemtsoi » Apr 14th, '07, 05:51

^ Exactly. Her name is Toda Erika. She wasn't born Umi, intent on destroying Domyouji and Makino's relationship. LOL...and why should you 'hate' it if they were together? :blink

I'm really looking forward to Liar Game, since Toda Erika and Matsuda Shota are two of my favourites :) It's good that there will be Chinese subs, but even so, they're sometimes very inaccurate cause they go in for speed instead of accuracy, and I would really like someone to pick this up for English subs... so I'll keep on hoping!

As for Japan's copyright laws, I agree with dragonpoetry that it would work if Japan would only see the benefits of hiring good people (possibly fansubbers) to work on their TV serials and produce high-quality subtitles that can be bought legally, but, as usual, the industry isn't half as smart as the viewers...so...we'll just have to wait and hope they wise up soon ;)

minnilu

Post by minnilu » Apr 14th, '07, 08:10

neee you shouldn'r hate Erika toda just because she played Umi in HanaDan2 >-< did you watch Tatta hitotsu no koi? ...if not you should ^.^

kiwigloomy

Post by kiwigloomy » Apr 14th, '07, 08:34

The plot sound interesting, so it cant be too bad
i'm looking forward to this drama~~(Mainly Because of Toda)
First notice her in Engine, but she was great in Gal Circle & Death Note...
But the cast seems kinda weak...I mean just having Erika in it...

Same thing happen to "Akane" with just Maki Horikita starring in it, a horrible 8.72 rating, but the main reason is probably becos of the boring plot(even thou that was also based off a manga)

Even thou, dont really like shota, but i am really looking forward to see him wearing that funny wig~! =D

vivaldi

Post by vivaldi » Apr 14th, '07, 15:08

Just saw it on Tv,
It watches likes kurosagi, but with weirder lighting and ambience. The shows flow is a little weird, but okay. After the first ep, I am on the fence on this one, gonna have to see where it goes from here, but yeah, feels like something done before.

orichan

Post by orichan » Apr 14th, '07, 15:38

First game is your very normal swindling that we are all used to and that you see in Kurosagi, but when you get to game 2 and game 3, the games become very unique and intersting. Game 1 << game 2 and game 3.
Game 2 is a minority game (people vote, minority votes win, people who voted with majority loses).

Game 3 is a majority game (odd number of people has 5 votes each, after 10 rounds, all people win except for the person with least votes, oh you get a check book too to buy and sell things).

Winners have to go into the next round. Losers... well they are in heavy debt. You have to pay half of what you won to get out of the game, if you want.

The process of winning is what's fun to watch. Lots of psychology. Lots of teaming up. Lots of betrayals.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 15th, '07, 16:32

I just saw the first ep too... It has very low-budget feel to it (and probably is because it's at 11PM), and acting was very bad.

Kind of interesting story though, I'll keep watching just for Toda Erika :lol

avexdevil

Post by avexdevil » Apr 15th, '07, 16:42

yea...personally, I did just rename it to the Toda Erika Show or something along those lines. Take her out of the equation, I'm guessing viewership will drop by 90% lol.

SummerLoveRemix

Post by SummerLoveRemix » Apr 15th, '07, 20:12

^ Haha, maybe. Some people still might want to watch it for Matsuda Shota
I'm waiting for ep 01 to finish downloading

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Apr 16th, '07, 03:24

do they use the same puppet as in the english movie SAW?? lol..

i think this movie has some "SAW" elements in it.. in SAW some random people are put in the game where they have to try survice.. in Liar Game.. erika randomly gets money and plays a game... also the puppets are similar!!

what do you think??

kiwigloomy

Post by kiwigloomy » Apr 16th, '07, 04:27

First episode's rating : 12.3....

And yeah, the puppet and the video, lol

BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » Apr 16th, '07, 04:40

I saw the first episode.. and I thought it was pretty good.. :scratch: :thumleft:

It did have that Kurosagi feel to it (which I stopped watching after the first episode), but I thought it was a lot better and I'm looking forward to watching the next episode.

and I liked the camera effects used.

LiarLiar
United States of America

Post by LiarLiar » Apr 16th, '07, 04:55

I just finish watching the first episode. It was much better than I thought it would be. I was only watching this for Erika Toda, but the story is quite engaging. The show is pretty low-budget, but the story make up for it. The show is very fast and doesn't waste too much time on details which might be a problem later on, but for now it's good. Hopefully we will get full 45 minutes from here on out. Good start.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 16th, '07, 05:03

12.3% is an incredibly high rating. This show was aired on 11:10PM on 45 min new timeslot. Not the hottest time for getting ratings. Go Toda Erika! :notworthy:

kiwigloomy

Post by kiwigloomy » Apr 16th, '07, 05:19

8thSin wrote:12.3% is an incredibly high rating. This show was aired on 11:10PM on 45 min new timeslot. Not the hottest time for getting ratings. Go Toda Erika! :notworthy:
Hmm, not that incredibly high... (Afterall Saturday, is a new time slot for Fuji drama)
But its definitely not a bad rating at all(since its at 11)~
Hope the rating will be raising~

btw, joudan jyanai got 19.4 =.= Was a little disappointed, expected higher...

japysia

Post by japysia » Apr 16th, '07, 05:20

Yeah, the rating is pretty high.On that time slot, you need some nudity to boost rating like Tokumei Kakarichou Tadano Hitoshi series.

gemtsoi

Post by gemtsoi » Apr 16th, '07, 06:06

I've finished the first episode. It held my interest throughout, which is good, and Matsuda Shota looked hot, which is even better :D That said, I love the opening credits with the two sofas, and the camera effects and all didn't affect me at all. Currently it seems rather simplistic, but I'm sure it'll get more interesting later on, so I'll keep watching :)

avexdevil

Post by avexdevil » Apr 16th, '07, 14:23

quite the budget show...considering there are hardly any 'extras' in the film at all. if you notice, u only always see toda erika and one another character she is interacting with in the shoot...

as for the first episode, i'm not overly impressed, shouta's plan to get back the money sounds rather stupid if u ask me. So he is intimidating the old man to return the $$, couldn't anyone have thought of that?

I personally wouldn't stay to watch the show because of the storyline. But everytime I see toda erika pulling a sad face or smile, it just really makes the whole thing worth it :).

And in response to someone's comment about nudity - no way! Erika is only 19 :O...

airskape

Post by airskape » Apr 16th, '07, 18:01

just watched first ep too. average drama so far, but the cast is too good to just drop it from the first ep lol
is it just me or does toda erika get prettier each time she appears in a new drama? :whistling:

but i wonder what the storyline will be like once she gets her money back from the guy. is it going to be another kurosagi where a new game player appears and she has to steal money from them again? (i NEVER watch the trailers at the end of the episode because i think they give away WAY too much information/spoilers)

fishy

Post by fishy » Apr 17th, '07, 01:05

yes true, nothing to impress much about this first episode. But I love the cinematography and special effects of this drama. I find it different from others. I love to see how the storyline goes.

foofeh

Post by foofeh » Apr 17th, '07, 01:18

I thought it was average too. It was a really typical plot but for some reason I liked it a lot. Maybe it's because I love the genre (I love love love Kurosagi....) and the cast. :D I will definitely continue to watch! Erika does get prettier! And I noticed...the colors are really saturated in this drama!

Dare_Devil09

Post by Dare_Devil09 » Apr 17th, '07, 02:13

Does any1 know where I can download the series? It not on Torrent yet??

Will there also be a love story in this series?

foofeh

Post by foofeh » Apr 17th, '07, 02:15

It is on torrent. :O Raw+softsubs, and a hardsub is out too. Just search and you'll find it.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Apr 17th, '07, 02:26

Dare_Devil09 wrote:Does any1 know where I can download the series? It not on Torrent yet??
Download the bit torrent for the hardsub here

Dare_Devil09

Post by Dare_Devil09 » Apr 17th, '07, 02:27

Ok thanx found it now
I spell Liar wrong hihi silly me.

loveWG

Post by loveWG » Apr 17th, '07, 03:13

Didn't realize the show airs on a late time slot!

Low budget feel, but I honestly enjoyed the episode. It might not have been mind blowing, but it would be interesting to see how the rest of the game would be played. I am expecting to see more consequences to their actions.

I really liked the opening credits. I liked the background and the contrast between black and red. :)

Not so crazy about Shota's hair though.

Fishii

Post by Fishii » Apr 17th, '07, 04:31

loveWG wrote:Didn't realize the show airs on a late time slot!

Low budget feel, but I honestly enjoyed the episode. It might not have been mind blowing, but it would be interesting to see how the rest of the game would be played. I am expecting to see more consequences to their actions.

I really liked the opening credits. I liked the background and the contrast between black and red. :)

Not so crazy about Shota's hair though.
I agree! I enjoyed the episode, I think it's quite different from other shows I've watched so far, and I'm really impatiently waiting for the next episode!

I'm not crazy about Shota in general... hahaha~ And I agree, his hair's just not that great. But I still loooove Erika ^^

I caan't wait =( Someone spare meeeeee

Maz0r

Post by Maz0r » Apr 17th, '07, 16:22

Not impressed also,
I'm afraid the plot won't be that interesting, I feel the main interest is going to be how smart/cool he is and how cute/innocent she is, well anyway I'm not going to drop it right now, I've been waiting too long for it ^o^v

cherrypieandmore

Post by cherrypieandmore » Apr 17th, '07, 16:40

This actually looks pretty interesting. At least the first episode managed to keep my interest alive. Here's hoping that the pacing picks up. -crosses fingers-

Toda Erika looked so gorgeous in that red dress!

cindai

Post by cindai » Apr 18th, '07, 02:05

I like this kind of drama and i'm looking forward to another challenge for next episode. nice to have shota and erika pairing up and shota look so cool in this drama.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Apr 18th, '07, 17:17

furransu wrote:do they use the same puppet as in the english movie SAW?? lol..

i think this movie has some "SAW" elements in it.. in SAW some random people are put in the game where they have to try survice.. in Liar Game.. erika randomly gets money and plays a game... also the puppets are similar!!

what do you think??
yeah, looks like the same puppet on "Saw", which kept making me flash back to "Saw Three" that I watched 3 months ago, so it makes episode one end up not so interesting for me and I think because of that darn puppet....so I just decided not to watch it anymore

starcrumbs

Post by starcrumbs » Apr 18th, '07, 21:35

I actually don't like the lead female...what's her name? Toda Erika? Anyways, I think it must be from HYD2 plus I don't really think she can act, she does the same thing in all the movies/dramas I see her in. I'm gonna give this drama some more time though, I think it's too early to judge just from the first episode.

kurodreams

Post by kurodreams » Apr 18th, '07, 22:42

is the hardsubs out for episode 1 & 2? if it did, i cant find them o.O since i think the story line sounds okay. and the lead male role(not the father) is really cute =P from kattun.

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » Apr 19th, '07, 01:08

kurodreams wrote:is the hardsubs out for episode 1 & 2? if it did, i cant find them o.O since i think the story line sounds okay. and the lead male role(not the father) is really cute =P from kattun.
Episode 2 hasn't even aired yet, but episode 1's already been hardsubbed and released. Talk about record speed, lol. I think this series is okay so far. They seemed to cram a lot into the first episode, but it didn't feel very exciting or as interesting as it could have been. Hopefully it gets better.

Matsuda Shota isn't part of KAT-TUN, but yeah, he's a looker.

yck

Post by yck » Apr 19th, '07, 05:20

The manga is up to ep. 34 (or 35), just about 4 volumes. The 1st episode already covered half of vol. 1; at this rate, the drama may have to come up w/ original material after about ep. 8. As someone has already pointed out, the 1st 'game' is not very interesting but gets much better with subsequent ones, w/ quite a bit more logic and psychology involved.

KawaiiD

Post by KawaiiD » Apr 19th, '07, 09:46

this drama is cool =] can't wait for episode 2 =DD

shui chan

Post by shui chan » Apr 19th, '07, 17:55

I LOVED it!
It was so cool~ :thumright:
The plot is really good and intresting and the music and the atmosphere was really suitable.

And of course Toda Erika and Matsuda Shota played very good as well.
I was so sad that the ep was shorter than usuall a I wait impatiencely to the next ep!~ :cheers:

smartasien

Post by smartasien » Apr 20th, '07, 03:10

wow this is just as retarded as gyarusa. jeez... :glare:

the music doesn't fit at all and erikas acting in this drama is bad too....

Felguard

Post by Felguard » Apr 20th, '07, 03:30

Thought it'd be really good because of the actors, but the storyline is so easy to predict. I've probably guess about 10 things that were going to happen before they did in episode one and I got them all right.

snowbug

Post by snowbug » Apr 20th, '07, 04:21

Eh.

Since when has being honest meant being ridiculously gullible?

Other than that, this seems interesting enough.

Lady Zhuge

Post by Lady Zhuge » Apr 20th, '07, 05:57

snowbug wrote:Eh.

Since when has being honest meant being ridiculously gullible?
Seriously! And I think you're putting it kindly. "Stupid" is the word I would have used.

lilxchinesegrl

Post by lilxchinesegrl » Apr 21st, '07, 02:38

the first episodes pretty interesting.. hmm.. maybe im looking too much into it.. but what if Akiyama Shinichi turned out to be the person who started the whole game??

crimmy

Post by crimmy » Apr 21st, '07, 06:52

The first ep wasnt as impressive as I thought it would be... but after reading some comments saying it would be better... i guess i'll continue it =P

malljclay

Post by malljclay » Apr 21st, '07, 13:58

I didnt know that guy from HYD was going to be in here.
But hes HOT!
: )

orichan

Post by orichan » Apr 21st, '07, 14:33

Lady Zhuge wrote: Seriously! And I think you're putting it kindly. "Stupid" is the word I would have used.
She is baka shoujiki for good reasons.

That's why in my opinion, translating it as too honest for her own good is an understatement. No, no she is stupidly/idiotically honest (in my version of the sub -- http://download.yousendit.com/0731B93858475A33
).