Seeking for help (convert rmvb to dvd)

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
Golden Oink

Seeking for help (convert rmvb to dvd)

Post by Golden Oink » Apr 13th, '07, 13:21

I would like to convert the rmvb files to other format so that i can burn to disc and watch with my dvd player.

I have WinAVI and Total Video Converter softwares in my PC.

But then...dun know why.
I tried many times with both softwares...everything it will say cannot open file etc...

Can someone help me on this problem?
According to what i know...these 2 softwares, by right can convert rmvb files.
But why i cannot open the rmvb files with my 2 programs lei?

Help plsss!
I'm a newbie, really cannot slove this problem i'm having....any kind soul here to give a piece od advise?

:scratch: :salut:

canon05

Post by canon05 » Apr 13th, '07, 23:38

Like you, when I was trying convert rmvb files, I found this trick out of the blue.

All you need to do is install K-Lite that contains Real Alternative. Then copy and paste the rmvb files you want to convert----> this for backup in case something goes wrong. Change their extension. ie. filename.rm ----> filename.avi

Have to rename the extension so Nero can accept.

Golden Oink

Post by Golden Oink » Apr 16th, '07, 01:37

canon05 wrote:Like you, when I was trying convert rmvb files, I found this trick out of the blue.

All you need to do is install K-Lite that contains Real Alternative. Then copy and paste the rmvb files you want to convert----> this for backup in case something goes wrong. Change their extension. ie. filename.rm ----> filename.avi

Have to rename the extension so Nero can accept.

Thanks for replying!

I have installed the k-Lite.
but i'm not sure if it's with real alternative.
therefore i had install it seperately.

May i ask copy n paste to where? where to change filename?

After install i try with winAVi again, still cannot.
Can help?
thanks!

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Apr 16th, '07, 01:51

this has been answered numerous times on this forum, please use the search function

Golden Oink

Post by Golden Oink » Apr 17th, '07, 22:29

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:this has been answered numerous times on this forum, please use the search function

I admit i'm a stupid for this thing.
I had been searching around for very long before i post a thread to ask.

I found out what software to dl to convert it.
But there are still problem that i can't slove.

I can't find answer.
if you can be kind enough to help pls help.
thanks.

canon05

Post by canon05 » Apr 20th, '07, 04:11

Golden Oink wrote: May i ask copy n paste to where? where to change filename?
It's up to you where you want to copy and paste. Any folder will do. Should backup it first BEFORE you change the extension --- it's the last part of a filename.

To see the extension, you may need to do this - go to Control panel ---> click open Folder options ----> click the tab "View" ------> look for "Hide extensions for known file types". ----> Give this a check to see the extension.

Ex. filename.avi

change to -------> filename.rmvb

Hope this helps.

bent

Re: Seeking for help (convert rmvb to dvd)

Post by bent » Nov 22nd, '08, 08:15

Golden Oink wrote:I would like to convert the rmvb files to other format so that i can burn to disc and watch with my dvd player.

I have WinAVI and Total Video Converter softwares in my PC.

But then...dun know why.
I tried many times with both softwares...everything it will say cannot open file etc...

Can someone help me on this problem?
According to what i know...these 2 softwares, by right can convert rmvb files.
But why i cannot open the rmvb files with my 2 programs lei?

Help plsss!
I'm a newbie, really cannot slove this problem i'm having....any kind soul here to give a piece od advise?

:scratch: :salut:
i think i have the exact same problem as u

bent

Post by bent » Nov 22nd, '08, 08:16

canon05 wrote:
Golden Oink wrote: May i ask copy n paste to where? where to change filename?
It's up to you where you want to copy and paste. Any folder will do. Should backup it first BEFORE you change the extension --- it's the last part of a filename.

To see the extension, you may need to do this - go to Control panel ---> click open Folder options ----> click the tab "View" ------> look for "Hide extensions for known file types". ----> Give this a check to see the extension.

Ex. filename.avi

change to -------> filename.rmvb

Hope this helps.
but why should i change to .avi?

i want to convert a .rmvb to xvid avi file

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Nov 25th, '08, 05:00

For advanced user, VirtualDubMod + Avisynth.

For beginner, MediaCoder or SUPER. Both are basically GUI for couple of command line media converters. Don't worry, both program includes the media converters. I think.

seneschal

Post by seneschal » Jan 11th, '09, 23:20

I used to try to do the same thing (about 3-4 years ago), burning DVD's from RMVB. After many hours of frustration, I bought a DiVX compatible DVD player and just used that. But the easiest and most economical solution is to get a very cheap laptop, hook it up to your TV (most digital sets now have VGA or even DVI inputs now), then you can play it directly from the laptop!
I am using an old discard from work (Dell D500 from 2003), it works perfectly for playing RMVB's. Even H.264/MPEG 4/AVC's play well on them if not from a Bluray original (on those I have to use a newer laptop with more horsepower to play well without sound synching issues).
The old laptops will probably cost you $100 on ebay to get but well worth it. Saved me hours of frustration (converting formats, burning DVD's into coasters, etc.) You can just download and play directly from the laptop and it's easy to store away in your living room without making it look like a wiring nightmare!

toffee nut

Post by toffee nut » Jan 11th, '09, 23:47

I use WinAVI converter. Convert rvmb to avi . then convert them to DVD. Good luck!

spaznrq

Post by spaznrq » Jan 16th, '09, 08:39

I hate to steal the thread with my own problem, but with so many "rmvb to avi/dvd" threads here, I'm afraid I'll get flamed for starting another one, so...

Has there been any posts about why some RMVB files are corrupted when trying to be converted? I know about all the different converters and tried a big handful of them (SUPER, WinAVI, Any DVD Converter, etc.) but NOT ONE works with my "Moonlight Resonance" RMVB's: they all report that the files are corrupted!!! However, they play perfectly on Realplayer.

I'm not sure if I'm a newb and this is a common problem with a widely posted solution, but I cannot find it, so can anyone confirm or help me with this problem of corrupted RMVB files? Thank you.

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Jan 16th, '09, 09:53

spaznrq wrote:I hate to steal the thread with my own problem, but with so many "rmvb to avi/dvd" threads here, I'm afraid I'll get flamed for starting another one, so...

Has there been any posts about why some RMVB files are corrupted when trying to be converted? I know about all the different converters and tried a big handful of them (SUPER, WinAVI, Any DVD Converter, etc.) but NOT ONE works with my "Moonlight Resonance" RMVB's: they all report that the files are corrupted!!! However, they play perfectly on Realplayer.

I'm not sure if I'm a newb and this is a common problem with a widely posted solution, but I cannot find it, so can anyone confirm or help me with this problem of corrupted RMVB files? Thank you.
1. do u have the real alternative codec installed? the reason i ask this is cuz the converter software needs to recognize how to handle ur rvmb file. sure it plays fine on real player, but ur video software cannot,by itself, use real player to help encode ur file.

2. when dealin with super,etc. i think u should always utilize avisynth to ensure the encoder knows how to deal with ur file. ex:
sample rvmb.avs

directshowsource("c:\file.rvmb")

save, then drag this avs file into super, then convert.

good luck e'reone, happy encodin
d

then

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Jan 16th, '09, 10:09

spaznrq wrote:I hate to steal the thread with my own problem, but with so many "rmvb to avi/dvd" threads here, I'm afraid I'll get flamed for starting another one, so...

Haven't tried Moon light's files because crazynet-2008 posted the avi version in the same forum. Why don't you d/l the avi instead? It's not to late to d/l now :-)

As for other rmvb, I have no prob converting with Media coder :-)

spaznrq

Post by spaznrq » Jan 16th, '09, 10:25

THanks for the help =) With itsukiD's tip on using Avisynth's AVS files to convert instead of using the RMVB directly worked. I'm still learning how to tweak the settings to get it to convert correctly (currently, no sound) but I think the hard part is figured out...

I'll also try the AVI files from the Moonlight Resonance thread.

Thanks!

indian0165

Post by indian0165 » Jan 16th, '09, 10:49

Would you like to try this one software Magic Video Converter. It can convert anything.

alinaly

Post by alinaly » Jan 18th, '09, 03:40

I tried many times to convert RMVB to DVD directly using a video converter, but the video is very illegible. So I searched Google then I found a good article resolving this problem:
You can try this method just following this guide: http://www.dvd-creators.net/rmvb-to-dvd.html