DramaWiki - Information Repository for Asian Dramas UPDATE

Data, images, links, competition and er other stuff are here.
groink

Post by groink » Jun 9th, '06, 23:02

Eventually, the following information will be posted on DramaWiki. But until then, do not post links to sites that are deemed illegal or controversial. Links we do not want include:

- Links to scanned or captured media. This includes links to translated or un-translated comic books (manga), direct downloads, P2P sites, torrent files, etc. DramaWiki does not want to associate itself with these forms of content.

- Links to sites that contain material of a mature nature. Even if the page itself is clean, other pages within the linked site may contain the offensive material. Pratices like this will cause DramaWiki to be put on nanny-like filter lists. To these lists moderators, linking creates the idea that the two sites are associated with each other.

- Links to web sites that are purely generic, and do not specifically address the artist or drama work. People do this sort of thing to boost their web site ratings on search engines. This practice is commonly known as link spamming. DramaWiki is not to be used to store links so that search engines can scrape them later on.

--- groink

groink

Post by groink » Jun 18th, '06, 08:42

I need to post for the record that we do not list non-drama TV shows on the DramaWiki. I don't want to write a term paper here defining what a TV drama is. Looking at the TV dramas we watch every day, it is pretty easy to figure out what makes a TV drama a TV drama. What I CAN tell you is that the following are NOT looked at as dramas on DramaWiki:

- Variety shows. JPN examples: MUSIC STATION, HEY!HEY!HEY!, SMAPXSMAP, x no Arashi, talk shows, etc.
- Documentaries
- Music concerts
- Motion pictures that were at one time aimed for the big screen, but later shown on television. i.e. if the American movie The Last Samurai was shown on TV network TBS, it is NOT a TV drama.

So please keep the TV drama listings to just TV dramas.

--- groink

groink

Post by groink » Jul 5th, '06, 00:40

Come on editors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're going to create a wikilink, FINISH IT!!!! I'm seeing way too much half-way wikilinking. If you add an artist to a drama, make sure you also add the drama to the artist. Personally, I'd rather leave the information out 100-perecent than incomplete information. The other editors have absolutely no tools to help us track these one-way wikilinks, so don't expect us to clean up your mess.

When I create wikilinks, I always complete the two-way links. I expect everyone else to do the same.

--- groink

ina

Post by ina » Jul 13th, '06, 07:30

How should we deal with rumours about doramas posted as facts on actor pages like this one:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Ueda_Tatsuya ?

The rumour is going around for a while and it can get confirmed or not, but I don't like it that it is presented as a fact. The Upcoming Jdrama site is okay, because there it already says that not every thing is confirmed yet.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 13th, '06, 07:53

ina wrote:How should we deal with rumours about doramas posted as facts on actor pages like this one:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Ueda_Tatsuya ?

The rumour is going around for a while and it can get confirmed or not, but I don't like it that it is presented as a fact. The Upcoming Jdrama site is okay, because there it already says that not every thing is confirmed yet.
Personally, I'm totally against posting anything unless the TV network itself announces it. I cover this in the style guide. Even if the screenwriter of the drama mentions it at an un-official event, I still would not post it. Anyway, I deleted the entry from Tatsuya's page.

--- groink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jul 16th, '06, 03:08

I agree. Nothing should be wikified that didn't aired yet or at least is just being aired. The only exception may be that "upcoming dramas" page. The wiki should contain facts only. Everyting else belongs into forums.

Also, it is not very clever to create an article for a planned drama because it can happen that it may be dropped or never shown on TV after production. I know it happened to some dramas before. Also listing rumored cast info is not a good idea because it may lead to spreading of false information. Finding such wrong info and removing it is too difficult, IMHO.

Saragorn
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Saragorn » Jul 17th, '06, 07:31

Edit: Wow...um. Nevermind. *is slow*

groink

Post by groink » Jul 31st, '06, 06:15

Hey, guys & gals...

The artist profile images being uploaded are great. However, what I'm seeing too much of are images that contain copyright information. For example, if you look at any STARDUST Promotions photo, they place a (C) STARDUST copyright message somewhere on the image.

Would you PLEASE remove this copyright and agency information from the image? Other DramaWiki editors do not have the time to chase down editors who upload images claiming the image is not copyrighted, but still contain the symbol. Even if you do remove the copyright information, it doesn't make it un-copyrighted. But at least looking at the image, it doesn't scream COPYRIGHT.

So please... Pretty please take the few minutes and clean these images up. For Windows XP users, Microsoft Photo Editor has the ability to crop.

--- groink

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 2nd, '06, 09:52

DramaWiki has moved to another server. If you're still seeing a message like this when going to http://wiki.d-addicts.com then it just means your local DNS has not updated with the new information yet.
If you are impatient you can edit this file:

Code: Select all

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
and add this to the bottom of the file (but remember to remove it after a few days):

Code: Select all

217.172.47.83 wiki.d-addicts.com

groink

Post by groink » Sep 2nd, '06, 20:00

Ruroshin,

There seems to be some sort of permission issue when moving newly uploaded images from the tmp directory to the permanant location:
Internal error wrote:Could not copy file "/tmp/phpDez6TJ" to "/home/dramawiki/domains/wiki.d-addicts.com/public_html/wiki/images/9/95/Ahiru_no_Gakkou.jpg".
--- groink

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 2nd, '06, 22:34

ok should be fixed now.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Sep 17th, '06, 00:15

Has the wiki been down for a day or so. Everytime I try to access it I timeout. I tried at home and also on my work machine in Firefox and as a last resort IE

IE reports
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Thanks

groink

Post by groink » Sep 17th, '06, 02:00

Bodhi wrote:Has the wiki been down for a day or so. Everytime I try to access it I timeout. I tried at home and also on my work machine in Firefox and as a last resort IE

IE reports
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Thanks
Currently the server hosting both DramaWiki is down. Ruroshin is trying to contact the ISP to find out why the server is down.

--- groink

groink

Post by groink » Sep 18th, '06, 18:50

As a reminder for all editors, DramaWiki is currently running in a temporary state until the permanent server is brought back to full service. Until then, please do not make any edits or additions to DramaWiki. Once the permanent server is brought back up, the changes made to the temporary site will be lost, and your efforts will go to waste. Trying to filter the changes to the permanent site is just too completed of a process. So don't make an effort in editing DramaWiki until further notice.

--- groink

Le Piaf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Le Piaf » Sep 18th, '06, 23:09

groink wrote:As a reminder for all editors, DramaWiki is currently running in a temporary state until the permanent server is brought back to full service. Until then, please do not make any edits or additions to DramaWiki. Once the permanent server is brought back up, the changes made to the temporary site will be lost, and your efforts will go to waste. Trying to filter the changes to the permanent site is just too completed of a process. So don't make an effort in editing DramaWiki until further notice.

--- groink
Is it the same with the FansubWiki ? I've heard that the problems of FansubWiki and DramaWiki are linked.

Thanks in advance.

-- Le Piaf

groink

Post by groink » Sep 18th, '06, 23:14

Le Piaf wrote:
groink wrote:As a reminder for all editors, DramaWiki is currently running in a temporary state until the permanent server is brought back to full service. Until then, please do not make any edits or additions to DramaWiki. Once the permanent server is brought back up, the changes made to the temporary site will be lost, and your efforts will go to waste. Trying to filter the changes to the permanent site is just too completed of a process. So don't make an effort in editing DramaWiki until further notice.

--- groink
Is it the same with the FansubWiki ? I've heard that the problems of FansubWiki and DramaWiki are linked.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, I believe fansub.d-addicts.com is also running on a temporary basis and using an old backup (Sept 2). So any changes since then are more likely missing. And, it is also likely that if you make changes right now, they'll disappear once the server is back up. So until Ruroshin gives the green light, I would just treat the wiki's as read-only.

--- groink

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 18th, '06, 23:52

Ok I give the green light now, both site should be running ok as of now.

drZero

Post by drZero » Sep 19th, '06, 00:13

THANKS Ruroshin for the hard work.

groink

Post by groink » Sep 19th, '06, 00:17

Ruroshin wrote:Ok I give the green light now, both site should be running ok as of now.
What exactly happened to the server?

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Sep 19th, '06, 00:23

groink wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:Ok I give the green light now, both site should be running ok as of now.
What exactly happened to the server?
I have no idea but looking at the uptime of the server it says it been up 3 days. I'm guessing some sort of network stuff up.

Athaclena42
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Athaclena42 » Sep 19th, '06, 00:38

Thanks so much for getting that back up and running! I had to google KDA every time I wanted to go on the site because I'm so used to going there through the wiki. And yes, I forgot to bookmark the site every time.

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Oct 21st, '06, 09:27

hum, I wonder if anybody knows how to know if a picture is copyright-free. Like, if it appears in google image, does it mean we can use it for the wiki.d-addicts?

bard

Post by bard » Oct 21st, '06, 09:42

20centuryboy wrote:hum, I wonder if anybody knows how to know if a picture is copyright-free. Like, if it appears in google image, does it mean we can use it for the wiki.d-addicts?
Nope, even if it appears on google image search (or any other image search engine for that matter) doesn't mean it's copyright-free, to my knowledge.

Usually for pictures, to be safe one should ask for the site owner's permission, or for ordinary people, to get their personal consent about having their pictures shown, but since this deals with celebrities I'm not too sure about the legal side of things...

groink

Post by groink » Oct 21st, '06, 10:18

bard wrote:
20centuryboy wrote:hum, I wonder if anybody knows how to know if a picture is copyright-free. Like, if it appears in google image, does it mean we can use it for the wiki.d-addicts?
Nope, even if it appears on google image search (or any other image search engine for that matter) doesn't mean it's copyright-free, to my knowledge.

Usually for pictures, to be safe one should ask for the site owner's permission, or for ordinary people, to get their personal consent about having their pictures shown, but since this deals with celebrities I'm not too sure about the legal side of things...
If the image was issued for promotional purposes, the owner would normally allow others to use it without permission, such as an image that was obtained from a press kit. Within the Internet, images from a talent agency are usually allowed to be use without complaint. On Wikipedia, it allows people to upload promotional images, just as long as the uploader specifies the location he obtained the image.

As for all other images, bard is correct. The admins on DramaWiki and I have talked about this issue. Although technically it is illegal to use copyrighted images, we continue to do so until the owner comes forward and tells DramaWiki to take the images down. I talk about this in the DramaWiki style guide. The only company I know of who aggressively search the Internet for infringinging images is Johnny's Entertainment. He's has written to many web sites asking to take the images down. But so far DramaWiki haven't heard from him.

--- groink

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Oct 21st, '06, 10:36

Ok, thanx for those precisions. :)

Grv

HDTV broadcasts

Post by Grv » Nov 9th, '06, 16:14

I was just wondering, is there any mention on the wiki or elsewhere of which shows air in true HDTV, which ones are upscaled at station (Hi Vision) and things like that?

Thanks in advance ^^

groink

Re: HDTV broadcasts

Post by groink » Nov 9th, '06, 19:59

Grv wrote:I was just wondering, is there any mention on the wiki or elsewhere of which shows air in true HDTV, which ones are upscaled at station (Hi Vision) and things like that?
No. And we're not going to start adding it to DramaWiki. Technical information to that level isn't necessary for DramaWiki readers.

--- groink

Grv

Post by Grv » Nov 10th, '06, 00:03

Any idea where I can find out? :(

groink

Post by groink » Nov 10th, '06, 00:18

Grv wrote:Any idea where I can find out? :(
Well, unless you live in Japan and have first-hand access to broadcast TV there, I can't comprehend the value of this information. We non-Japanese speaking people get all of our RAWs and subbed material from D-Addicts and other download sites. Regardless of what formats are available in Japan, we basically download what we can get our hands on. For example, if someone uploaded Imo Tako Nankin in 4:3, and we all know that 16:9 is available, we're still going to download the 4:3 format because that format is what the uploader decided to provide us with.

But if you can read Japanese and have resources in Japan to obtain an episode of a series in the format you want, the information is available in the TV guides at all the TV network web sites. Also, the Japanese Wikipedia might have the information, although most of the time their pages are not up-to-date.

--- groink

Grv

Post by Grv » Nov 13th, '06, 12:24

Ok cool, I was just checking there wasn't already a central repository for that type of information. I tend to get my RAWs directly from japanese p2p (no names - I assume that's part of the rules).

groink

Post by groink » Nov 19th, '06, 23:48

Ruroshin,

There's a strange bug on DramaWiki. When surfing the wiki, the URL is:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com

But after saving an edit to an article, the URL suddenly changes to:

http://www.wiki.d-addicts.com

This happens on both IE and Firefox, and multiple computers.

--- groink

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Nov 20th, '06, 01:44

yeah I knew about that one, its on the low priority list to fix at the moment since www.wiki.d-addicts.com will still work.

Bodhi

Wiki Links?

Post by Bodhi » Nov 20th, '06, 23:18

I posted a bunch of screen captures, reviews, picture galleries on Akihabara@DEEP on my Website and wonder where should I put a link if people are interested in it. For example burndvdburn.blogspot.com/2006/11/akihabaradeep-search-08.html

Thanks

groink

Re: Wiki Links?

Post by groink » Nov 20th, '06, 23:59

Bodhi wrote:I posted a bunch of screen captures, reviews, picture galleries on Akihabara@DEEP on my Website and wonder where should I put a link if people are interested in it. For example burndvdburn.blogspot.com/2006/11/akihabaradeep-search-08.html

Thanks
Don't.

DramaWiki does not allow linking to photo galleries. You'll have to resort to some other wiki to post your URLs. We want to keep DramaWiki clean of fansites.

--- groink

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Nov 21st, '06, 00:45

Thanks for the fast reply Groink, I understand.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jan 23rd, '07, 05:05

See the Wiki's Community Portal page about YesAsia links http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:Community_Portal

Heroine_Mei

Post by Heroine_Mei » Feb 18th, '07, 08:22

I was wondering, are we allowed to post reviews for dramas on the pages? i noticed that for full house there was a review but i didn't see any others. just wanted to make sure before i post one

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Feb 18th, '07, 08:36

I was wondering, are we allowed to post reviews for dramas on the pages? i noticed that for full house there was a review but i didn't see any others. just wanted to make sure before i post one
Yes you can post reviews. :-)

groink

Post by groink » Feb 21st, '07, 03:31

Ruroshin,

There seems to be some strange problems with the Google ads on DramaWiki. It doesn't happen all the time - just sometimes. And it started today. Simply, the Google ads is trying to pull down information from a secured web site within Google called pagead2.googlesyndication.com . The problem is that the certificate being pulled down from that site belongs to www.google.com. When this occurs, an error message pops up in Firefox seeing this browser detects conflicts like these as a security issue (and with good reason.) Just hitting OK gets rid of the message. But still, it may be either a scripting issue within the DramaWiki templates, or something on Google's end. I've seen this issue at other sites when a secured site www.securedsite.com attempts to pull down an image from another server that uses a different name, such as images.securedsite.com.

--- groink
Attachments
cert_error_google.jpg
cert_error_google.jpg (44.99 KiB) Viewed 33907 times

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Feb 21st, '07, 09:33

hrm i have to say i haven't encountered that problem yet.

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Feb 23rd, '07, 00:04

hello Ruroshin! when ever i try to edit this page, http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Ishihara_Satomi, i get an error

500.shtml
From DramaWiki

(There is currently no text in this page)

this is the first time that ive encountered that message in the Drama Wiki, i wonder what's wrong.. :unsure:

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Feb 23rd, '07, 12:07

marienella_m wrote:hello Ruroshin! when ever i try to edit this page, http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Ishihara_Satomi, i get an error

500.shtml
From DramaWiki

(There is currently no text in this page)

this is the first time that ive encountered that message in the Drama Wiki, i wonder what's wrong.. :unsure:
you probably triggered the spam filter. What was the text that you were trying to add in or modify?

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Feb 24th, '07, 02:08

i was adding an entry on her drama list, which is Hanayome no Papa.

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Mar 5th, '07, 16:12

Is the DramaWiki server down? I keep getting a "connection refused" msg for the whole of today.

Rinaldo

Post by Rinaldo » Mar 5th, '07, 18:41

ya me too, maybe the server is down..

wnndy

Post by wnndy » Mar 5th, '07, 18:50

uhu..me too...

Persiana

Post by Persiana » Mar 5th, '07, 20:12

Same is with me, no Drama Wiki :(

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Mar 22nd, '07, 19:04

Persiana wrote:Same is with me, no Drama Wiki :(
Me2... :/

groink

Post by groink » Mar 28th, '07, 01:11

The DramaWiki (and probably the fansub) sites are currently down. First I noticed that the web code could not connect to the MySQL service. Then a few minutes after that, the web interface itself went down.

--- groink

Persiana

Post by Persiana » Mar 28th, '07, 05:58

Fortunately DramaWiki's working fine for me right now, thanks for all your efforts [img]http://freeshare.us/129fs3703013.gif[/img]

groink

Post by groink » Apr 2nd, '07, 01:34

As a reminder for all of you who have user pages on DramaWiki...

All user pages, as well as all other articles, MUST be totally clean of any indication of fansubbing, direct downloading or any peer-to-peer activity, or any other mention of unofficial activities done with the TV dramas. This sort of activity would be better of being conducted on either the D-Addicts forums or the fansub wiki.

DramaWiki is to be used ONLY as a TV drama database. It will not be used for locating TV dramas for either purchase or electronic distribution. YesAsia is an exception.

--- groink

Magicus

Post by Magicus » Apr 2nd, '07, 15:22

groink wrote: DramaWiki is to be used ONLY as a TV drama database.
I know I am relatively new to to wiki but I just wanted to ask a couple things. After seeing you reinforce the point of the wiki being purely an information database I was wondering why reviews are allowed onto drama pages? I am not claiming that it should be a certain way, it just seems to go against the fundamental purpose of what the wiki is.

Also I was wondering if there was a way to check how many views a certain page is getting? I saw that there is a section for statistics on edits and editors but I couldn't find anything about views. I'd be curious to see the traffic the dramawiki is getting period if hits by page is to specfiic.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before.

groink

Post by groink » Apr 2nd, '07, 19:26

Magicus wrote:I know I am relatively new to to wiki but I just wanted to ask a couple things. After seeing you reinforce the point of the wiki being purely an information database I was wondering why reviews are allowed onto drama pages? I am not claiming that it should be a certain way, it just seems to go against the fundamental purpose of what the wiki is.
The reviews are placed on DramaWiki for historical reasons. We used to host the reviews on the D-Addicts forums themselves under its own forum. But, when Ruroshin put up DramaWiki, he took the reviews off D-Addicts and merged them into DramaWiki, then took down the reviews forum. I'd say 95-percent of the reviews are from this merge.
Magicus wrote:Also I was wondering if there was a way to check how many views a certain page is getting? I saw that there is a section for statistics on edits and editors but I couldn't find anything about views. I'd be curious to see the traffic the dramawiki is getting period if hits by page is to specfiic.
For the number of "hits" on a specific article, it should be at the bottom of the article. It is shown as "This page has been accessed xxxx times." If the article is brand-new, it takes awhile for the number to be generated. Also, in the Special pages section, there are several pre-formatted stat articles you can read:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Special:Specialpages

The more interesting articles include "Popular pages" and "Wanted pages".

--- groink

Persiana

Post by Persiana » Apr 9th, '07, 05:48

Sorry to disturb but I cannot access DramaWiki today, is it down or is something wrong with my connection [img]http://qsmile.com/qsimages/297.gif[/img]?

Ueda Jiro
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Ueda Jiro » Apr 9th, '07, 05:52

Persiana wrote:Sorry to disturb but I cannot access DramaWiki today, is it down or is something wrong with my connection [img]http://qsmile.com/qsimages/297.gif[/img]?
It is down. Just be patient and wait for it to be fixed.

cfang32

Post by cfang32 » Apr 10th, '07, 01:32

Ueda Jiro wrote:
Persiana wrote:Sorry to disturb but I cannot access DramaWiki today, is it down or is something wrong with my connection [img]http://qsmile.com/qsimages/297.gif[/img]?
It is down. Just be patient and wait for it to be fixed.
it is? that sucks. i guess i'll just wait patiently. what happened? does anyone know? i thought it was my internet connection too.

groink

Post by groink » Apr 10th, '07, 04:27

It may be awhile. I'm assuming here that Ruroshin isn't currently on-line, so more likely he doesn't even know about the problem. He has these trips he goes on for days or even weeks - with no Internet access available.

Another possibility, though I doubt it, is that he knows about it, and is trying to get ahold of the ISP that co-lo's the server. In the past, the ISP is less than cooperative about restarting the server. If this was the case, he would have at least posted a message about it, so that's why I don't think this is the problem.

So sit tight and ride it out.

--- groink

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Apr 10th, '07, 12:07

found out about this morning but was in a place that I couldn't use to log onto the server securely so had to wait till I got home to fix the problem. I've put other measures in place to try and reduce any future down times.

cfang32

Post by cfang32 » Apr 11th, '07, 00:33

YAY... the site is back up... YOU'RE AWESOME RUROSHIN!!!!

groink

Post by groink » Apr 18th, '07, 07:53

As some of you regular DramaWiki readers may know by now, DramaWiki has been under attack by script kiddies, de-facing many of the articles. To put a stop to the nonsense, new user registration has been disabled until further notice. Until the lockdown is lifted, you must PM Ruroshin if you want a DramaWiki account created, as an account is required for editing.

Once the lockdown is lifted, an announcement will be made in this topic.

--- groink

Milk Tea

Post by Milk Tea » Apr 20th, '07, 07:17

I don't know but for me I haven't been able to go to DramaWiki for the past two or so weeks. I just tried again a while ago and I kept getting the 500shtml page with the thingy saying, "There's no article" or something like that. Is it my computer? Every other site is fine with me except for this one.

titcoeurasia

Post by titcoeurasia » May 1st, '07, 08:45

:-) I think that Dramawiki it's great !! really good ! it help me to find such good dramas and movie to watch !! :thumright: :thumleft:
It's perfect for helping, but there is someone that there isn't in dramawiki : kim Ah jung !!
she is the actresse who played Hanna Kang in "200 Pounds Beauty" !!
Someone know where to find something about her and her movies, or something else interesting ^^ ?

:heart: Kim Ah jung's picture :
http://www.kmculture.com/images/200poun ... auty_1.jpg
http://www.kmculture.com/images/200poun ... auty_2.jpg
http://english.kbs.co.kr/ICSFiles/artim ... oong_l.jpg
http://english.chosun.com/media/photo/n ... 002_01.jpg
http://photo-media.hanmail.net/200612/2 ... .088.0.jpg

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » May 1st, '07, 22:14

She's listed under Kim Ah Joong

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kim_Ah_Joong

Have fun browsing the DramaWiki :wink:

titcoeurasia

Sorry and thank you

Post by titcoeurasia » May 2nd, '07, 08:47

a okay (^o^) thank you, :D
sorry I didn't know that she's listed under that name :doh:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

and thank you for the link :heart:

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Jul 3rd, '07, 05:15

For the Wiki masters, I just have a question about the policy regarding images on DramaWiki.

From http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:Jap ... _of_images :
# Do not upload images that contain copyright or trademark symbols, or other text. Use a photo editing tool to remove the information.
# If a copyright/trademark owner demands removal of an image, please obey the request and remove the image from the article.
What I get from the above is that DramaWiki is disregarding any copyrights associated with the images... Is that correct? I wanted to update a few of the Wiki entries with some images, and was wondering how others get their images. I was planning to go ahead and take a screenshot of the official page (a Flash animation) and just crop it.

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Jul 3rd, '07, 05:24

quashlo wrote:For the Wiki masters, I just have a question about the policy regarding images on DramaWiki.

# Do not upload images that contain copyright or trademark symbols, or other text. Use a photo editing tool to remove the information.
# If a copyright/trademark owner demands removal of an image, please obey the request and remove the image from the article.
What I get from the above is that DramaWiki is disregarding any copyrights associated with the images... Is that correct? I wanted to update a few of the Wiki entries with some images, and was wondering how others get their images. I was planning to go ahead and take a screenshot of the official page (a Flash animation) and just crop it.
That is correct. Any images that display any form of copyrights like watermarks should not be uploaded onto the DramaWiki. However, I'm not sure if this correct, but I think it should be okay to crop the image if needed.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 3rd, '07, 05:48

quashlo wrote:For the Wiki masters, I just have a question about the policy regarding images on DramaWiki.

There's two sides to this:

1. Copyrights, trademarks, watermarks, and other markings is disruptive of the image. It makes the image look ugly. That's why we want these makings removed before the image is uploaded to DramaWiki.

2. Removal of the markings does not mean we're also removing the copyrights, trademarks or other forms of ownership from the image. If someone still makes a claim on the image, such as Johnny Jimusho or a news agency, we must remove it.

--- groink

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Jul 3rd, '07, 06:28

^Okay. Thanks, yt_toshi and groink.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Aug 20th, '07, 21:06

The Fansub Wiki is under the same category as the Drama Wiki, right? So I'm guessing posting about this here should be fine.

Since Chinese (TW mostly) dramas are starting to gain more popularity and more Chinese fansubs groups are popping up, several of us have noticed that people are starting to have trouble figuring out who's subbing what... which of course leads to conflicts we would all rather avoid. Perhaps it's simply from people being too lazy to search but we felt it would be simpler if all this information was on one page like the Jdrama fansub map. So, since no one else seemed to want to make it I went ahead and started a Chinese Drama Fansub Map.

It's split up by the year broadcast started. All three regions (Taiwan/China/Hong Kong) are on the same page but divided by headers.

Naturally, it still needs work but a large portion of it is done so it's at least a good start. I encourage anyone who wants to help expand and maintain the map to do so. I filled in what information I knew about who was subbing things but I'm sure I don't know everything so fansubbers and everyone else, please adjust it accordingly.

Also to a mod, could you maybe add the link to the sidebar with the Jdrama map? That would be awesome.

Chinese Drama Fansub Map

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 21st, '07, 08:39

Good work Puppet Princess, I've added the link to the menu :)

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Sep 8th, '07, 21:14

I used to have an account in WIki Drama, but I'm trying to log in and it says my user doesn't exist. It's strange, my account at Fansub Wiki works fine...

The thing is that I checked and it really doesn't exist (it was Angelique)... so I tried to register again and I can't, there's no registration form.

Can anyone help me register again?

groink

Post by groink » Sep 8th, '07, 23:36

Angelique wrote:I used to have an account in WIki Drama, but I'm trying to log in and it says my user doesn't exist. It's strange, my account at Fansub Wiki works fine...

The thing is that I checked and it really doesn't exist (it was Angelique)... so I tried to register again and I can't, there's no registration form.
A few days ago, I asked Ruroshin to disable inactive accounts, in order to prevent further "sleeper" accounts from spamming the wiki. Unless you plan on editing on DramaWiki, you don't need an account. Otherwise, PM Ruroshin for an account.

--- groink

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Sep 9th, '07, 16:40

Thanks! I'll do that!

whywhylove

Post by whywhylove » Sep 20th, '07, 03:12

How come fansites are not allowed in drama wiki?
I think it is good to post up good/comprehensive fansites on wiki especially those written in english coz that's what drama wiki is for right? a good english source for drama and actor fans around the globe.

Drama wiki is getting stricter thus giving less info...

groink

Post by groink » Sep 20th, '07, 03:38

whywhylove wrote:How come fansites are not allowed in drama wiki?
I think it is good to post up good/comprehensive fansites on wiki especially those written in english coz that's what drama wiki is for right? a good english source for drama and actor fans around the globe.

Drama wiki is getting stricter thus giving less info...
For fansites, I think you'll get more out of Google. So why make DramaWiki a dumping ground for fansite links? That's why search engines were invented. DramaWiki focuses solely on the artist in regards to TV dramas. And your assumption about the purpose of DramaWiki is totally wrong. The primary focus has always been on TV dramas, and the artists secondary.

BTW, same external linking rules apply on Wikipedia (check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:EL), so DramaWiki isn't the only site leaving out fansites.

--- groink