[Discussion] Bambino

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 24th, '07, 18:26

yay, finally, but if hardsub coming out, soft would come out too. so wait a little bit and at arashianfile, i think that one is raw.

Eternal Snow

Post by Eternal Snow » Apr 24th, '07, 18:59

eeh?? O.O the hardsubbed version is out on clubbox?? is it not goin` to be posted here???? :scratch:

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Apr 24th, '07, 19:01

Eternal Snow wrote:eeh?? O.O the hardsubbed version is out on clubbox?? is it not goin` to be posted here???? :scratch:
good question ç_________________ç
I hate clubbox ç_______ç

CrAcKaJaP206

Post by CrAcKaJaP206 » Apr 24th, '07, 19:06

Nihonjinde yokatta! :mrgreen:

I can't wait for ep2 to come out in a few days. Def a must watch for this season.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Apr 24th, '07, 21:04

kiki wrote:yay, finally, but if hardsub coming out, soft would come out too. so wait a little bit and at arashianfile, i think that one is raw.
Your right the ones at arashianfile are raw I downloaded the first segment and played it in VLC no subs. I was just surprised that a hard sub version would be released by B.O.N on Clubbox before soft subs.

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Apr 24th, '07, 21:21

Eternal Snow wrote:eeh?? O.O the hardsubbed version is out on clubbox?? is it not goin` to be posted here???? :scratch:
The one currently on BON's CB is RAW, the file will indicate if it is Hardsubbed because it will be labeled. We will release both softsubs and hardsubs. softsubs will be posted here, as well as the hardsubs. And of course will be availble in our CB.
:-)

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » Apr 24th, '07, 21:58

xKiMix wrote:
The one currently on BON's CB is RAW, the file will indicate if it is Hardsubbed because it will be labeled. We will release both softsubs and hardsubs. softsubs will be posted here, as well as the hardsubs. And of course will be availble in our CB.
Thanks a lot xKiMix for letting us know, thats great news!

Eternal Snow

Post by Eternal Snow » Apr 24th, '07, 23:05

Bodhi wrote:
xKiMix wrote:
Thanks a lot xKiMix for letting us know, thats great news!
yeah.. thanks 4 letting us know.. :-) we`ll be patiently waiting 4 them.. :mrgreen: :salut:

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Apr 25th, '07, 03:59

can you guys please post me up when the hard subs for bambino are released in d-addicts. thanks!!!

kidmigz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kidmigz » Apr 25th, '07, 04:29

I just read that there's a spinoff drama being aired on the official site. It's being shown in 3-minute episodes after each TV ep, and it focuses on the minor characters.

Unfortunately, it's only accessible if you have a Japan-based IP address.

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Apr 25th, '07, 08:55

kidmigz wrote:I just read that there's a spinoff drama being aired on the official site. It's being shown in 3-minute episodes after each TV ep, and it focuses on the minor characters.

Unfortunately, it's only accessible if you have a Japan-based IP address.
Yeah , I got an error message trying to see what that was earlier this week. I hate the fact that countries are blocking stuff left and right. D:

lee`s little alien

Post by lee`s little alien » Apr 25th, '07, 15:03

xKiMix wrote:
thank you so much!can`t wait for the subs to come out!lol i`ve seen the first ep as a raw and i really can`t wait to see it with subs too so that i can understand everything!no pressure meant but can i ask in what state are u with the subs? :pray: thanx in advance :-)

on the other hand the 2nd ep has been already aired :cheers: so later today we`ll have the raw for it! :-) :alcoholic:

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Apr 25th, '07, 20:59

lee`s little alien wrote: thank you so much!can`t wait for the subs to come out!lol i`ve seen the first ep as a raw and i really can`t wait to see it with subs too so that i can understand everything!no pressure meant but can i ask in what state are u with the subs? :pray: thanx in advance :-)

on the other hand the 2nd ep has been already aired :cheers: so later today we`ll have the raw for it! :-) :alcoholic:
Last time i checked, its already in the editing stage. :D

Eternal Snow

Post by Eternal Snow » Apr 25th, '07, 23:56

aaaaaaah.. i`m so eager to see Bambino! but i won`t spoil it on myself by watching it raw~ XD

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Apr 26th, '07, 04:21

Current Update for Ep. 1: in the QCing stage. :D

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Apr 26th, '07, 04:27

Episode 2 = ;_;

So many cell texts , not enough tears. ;_;

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » Apr 26th, '07, 04:43

xKiMix wrote:Current Update for Ep. 1: in the QCing stage. :D
Thanks for the update.

I shall wait patiently.
Patience is a virtue *repeat this mantra to self 1000x*
:sweat:

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 26th, '07, 10:28

Wow, I was really on verge of dropping this series, then it got REALLY good in Ep2!
I was bored as hell in the first half and the acting/plot were so horrible, but then the restaurant owner at home said "Not every man is born a man, you become a man by your own effort... It doesn't matter whether or not it's cooking. Whatever you happens, don't run, don't lose."
That line really touched me because someone said similar thing to me a long time before, and I was starting to forget it. For some reason, my tears wouldn't stop since he screamed in middle of the street, especially when MatsuJun was washing the dish. It was just so inspirational for me. I always cry where I shouldn't, and can't cry where I'm supposed to, which was probably when he was calling his GF XD

I've been procrastinating on my papers and exam reviews a lot lately... I guess I was running away from hard work... Time to be a man and finish them for good! :study:

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Apr 26th, '07, 11:16

This episode , for me as well clenched it. I thought the 2nd half was very emotional. I loved the way they did the cell phone cut scene and all her messages on his phone. That part for some reason got me the most.
Everyone's acting is still a little stiff, but I have faith that it will all go full swing soon enough.

BTW people.
Screencaps posted over at Hakata Ben.

http://community.livejournal.com/hakata_ben/

Linh[hyd=3]

Post by Linh[hyd=3] » Apr 26th, '07, 14:19

is there any subs for the first episode ?

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Apr 27th, '07, 02:02

just saw. interesting. angst. funny (because of the Italian language XD I'm Italian ^^)
A promising show... :D

lee`s little alien

Post by lee`s little alien » Apr 27th, '07, 08:41

B.O.N fansubs released the subs for the first ep!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

here`s the link to the thread:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_47764_0.htm

be sure to thank them for all their effort! :P

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » Apr 27th, '07, 11:22

oh my...
From the spoilers by 8thSin & Archaenon, ep2 sounded sooo good
Would love to feel what you guys felt watching it but my nihongo skills is very lacking ^^;;;.
Ive also read accounts of others crying watching the same scene 8thSin mentioned.
A drama that suceeded in bringing out strong feelings from the audience (seasoned drama watchers) must be good.
I guess I'll succumb to temptation & just watch it raw then :P

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Apr 27th, '07, 13:20

whaa... its out its out!!! hontou ni arigatou gozaimasu lee`s little alien for the info!!!! can't wait to watch it ;)

lee`s little alien

Post by lee`s little alien » Apr 27th, '07, 14:09

biniBningPunkista wrote:whaa... its out its out!!! hontou ni arigatou gozaimasu lee`s little alien for the info!!!! can't wait to watch it ;)
i`ve just finished watching the first ep with subs and the second one as a raw!it really is a good dorama :scratch: :-) lol when i watched the 1st ep without subs i kinda misunderstood the whole thing :lol :lol :lol :lol
cos i couldn`t understand that by what he was saying,ban was really sounding like he was reaaaaaaaaaally too confident and that he was pretending that he knew how too cook things even if he never cooked that before :lol

lee`s little alien

Post by lee`s little alien » Apr 27th, '07, 14:27

i posted these on livejournal but i thought it would be ok if i posted them here too :mrgreen:

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image

let me know what do u think! :-)

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 27th, '07, 15:42

i watch a littlbe bit of bambino so this what i though
very interesting, as a guy who got overconfidence with all the praise he hear from to goes into the place where he realize there are more talented people than he is, so funny the part he said i going to show you with my cooking, that overconfidence decrease as the show goes on, by the end he realize he not that good and probably the worst out of there. I like it and jun acting is really good as he potray the self confidence to near the end of defeat and understanding that he not good enough but yet because of his love for cooking he want to stay there to learn more. Some people are like that, if they live in a small place where they though they good at the thing they do but venture outside the real world, they just a fish in a ocean. I like alot cause it kind of reflecting reality. Through no matter how **** he is, should they treat him that way. beat him up and everything. but really the food look so good make me want to eat pasta

lee`s little alien

Post by lee`s little alien » Apr 27th, '07, 15:49

kiki wrote:i watch a littlbe bit of bambino so this what i though
very interesting, as a guy who got overconfidence with all the praise he hear from to goes into the place where he realize there are more talented people than he is, so funny the part he said i going to show you with my cooking, that overconfidence decrease as the show goes on, by the end he realize he not that good and probably the worst out of there. I like it and jun acting is really good as he potray the self confidence to near the end of defeat and understanding that he not good enough but yet because of his love for cooking he want to stay there to learn more. Some people are like that, if they live in a small place where they though they good at the thing they do but venture outside the real world, they just a fish in a ocean. I like alot. Through no matter how **** he is, should they treat him that way. beat him up and everything.
Yeah but u know
....the way the others treated him and i`m reffering to the kitchen staff(excluding the chief chef :lol ) made him lose his confidence in what he can do....it`s pretty clear that he is really talented and if the others would have told him what to do and they wouldn`t have "abused"him the way they did....i`m sure that he would realise that there`s a lot to learn and that he would come down to earth without that fight that woke him up!ok he has a part of guilt but the others have a part of guilt too!yet in real life that`s how u`re treated if you`re new :lol and it really ruins your selfconfidence no matter how good you are!

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 27th, '07, 16:01

yep i agree with what you say
he got talent, that establish the first scene in the series, that why i say he like a fish in the ocean. he needs to learn more and to be more humble. So I kind find it weird that people can actually treat a new comer that way, unless it a conspiracy to help him become more humble, to open up his eye, help him into the real world. I guess they needs to get him down a notch before letting him learn anything.

lee`s little alien

Post by lee`s little alien » Apr 27th, '07, 16:08

kiki wrote:yep i agree with what you say
he got talent, that establish the first scene in the series, that why i say he like a fish in the ocean. he needs to learn more and to be more humble. So I kind find it weird that people can actually treat a new comer that way, unless it a conspiracy to help him become more humble, to open up his eye, help him into the real world. I guess they needs to get him down a notch before letting him learn anything.
lol i really doubt that
they were trying to help him getting more humble considering the fact that any newcomer wouldn`t last there more than one day because of their mean way to treat the newcomers :crazy: i think that if they treated him nicely and stuff he would connect with them and with their rhythm and he would`ve accepted himself that they`re way better than he is cos of their experience......but it would have been a slower process into becoming more humble!treating him the way they did,they fatsened the process and they woke him up by force :unsure:

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 27th, '07, 16:16

yep i know so in ep. 2
i felt so sad for sitting alone at that table while they all ignore him, those people really are mean, i understand the chef but the waiter too, and opening, he sat there all alone eating his pasta. seriously is this a really good enviroment to work. At the end when all smile with that one co-worker then that guy just totally... seriously i want to punch that guy out, what the heck. through before i do that need to understand what exactly they saying

lee`s little alien

Post by lee`s little alien » Apr 27th, '07, 16:28

kiki wrote:yep i know so in ep. 2
i felt so sad for sitting alone at that table while they all ignore him, those people really are mean, i understand the chef but the waiter too, and opening, he sat there all alone eating his pasta. seriously is this a really good enviroment to work. At the end when all smile with that one co-worker then that guy just totally... seriously i want to punch that guy out, what the heck. through before i do that need to understand what exactly they saying
yeah :cry:
that was so cold-hearted......no one deserves to be treated like that :cry:plus he never did anything to those guys...he was always just trying to be friendly he always appologised when he did something wrong and he didn`t fight back when that guy beated him up even if he could!they are really unfriendly :lol i mean even after they saw that he came back that he won`t leave and stuff they`re still treating him baddly!yet it`s good that he has three persons on his side...the chief chef,the chief waiter and the manager woman :P they all saw that he has potential!and yep can`t wait to know what eactly they were saying....!i think that after they saw the determination that he prooved when he wanted to keep working even if he injured his finger...their oppinion about him might have changed a little :scratch:

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 27th, '07, 16:38

yep that why i like him
he very inspirational because no matter how badly they treat him, because toward his goal he accept everything, yeah he little **** but don't everybody when people kept praising them. he really tried to be friendly except for that little competiton at the begining, that was funny. I just felt so sad when he cried, eventhought there absolutely no chemistry between him and his girlfriend, well given they don't have much scene together, but i just love the way he potray how he really love her as he read her text message, the part he cried earnestly that was so touching, good crying as i look watch that part carefully since jun never did cried in any his drama, so fully blow out on this and it great. and tell her not to worry. when he walk alone, remember, and felt so hopeless ah that part was great acting. Can't wait for next wks.

lee`s little alien

Post by lee`s little alien » Apr 27th, '07, 16:48

kiki wrote:yep that why i like him
he very inspirational because no matter how badly they treat him, because toward his goal he accept everything, yeah he little **** but don't everybody when people kept praising them. he really tried to be friendly except for that little competiton at the begining, that was funny. I just felt so sad when he cried, eventhought there absolutely no chemistry between him and his girlfriend, well given they don't have much scene together, but i just love the way he potray how he really love her as he read her text message, the part he cried earnestly that was so touching, good crying as i look watch that part carefully since jun never did cried in any his drama, so fully blow out on this and it great. and tell her not to worry. when he walk alone, remember, and felt so hopeless ah that part was great acting. Can't wait for next wks.
yeah that part
almost got me to tears too :cry: he feels so discouraged and he misses her....his world is realli shaken up at the moment!he`s a very nice person and the others missunderstood him!they labeled him from the begining...and yep i agree with u anyone would get overconfident if people told him that he`s good in what he does!but he admited his erors and hes ready to learn...oh,jun cried in all of his drama`s so far...yet not like in this one :lol he cried in gokusen twice :lol ,he cried in kimi wa petto,he cried in kindaichi and he cried in hana yori dango more than once :-( but he was only sheding tears not crying literally as he did in bambino! i have to agree with u again,great acting!oh and i have the feeling that even if he had more scenes with his girlfriend there still won`t be any more chemistry....or maybe we`re just stuck on the great chemistry that he had with mao-chan :mrgreen: :wub:

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 27th, '07, 16:55

lee`s little alien wrote:
yeah that part
almost got me to tears too :cry: he feels so discouraged and he misses her....his world is realli shaken up at the moment!he`s a very nice person and the others missunderstood him!they labeled him from the begining...and yep i agree with u anyone would get overconfident if people told him that he`s good in what he does!but he admited his erors and hes ready to learn...oh,jun cried in all of his drama`s so far...yet not like in this one :lol he cried in gokusen twice :lol ,he cried in kimi wa petto,he cried in kindaichi and he cried in hana yori dango more than once :-( but he was only sheding tears not crying literally as he did in bambino! i have to agree with u again,great acting!oh and i have the feeling that even if he had more scenes with his girlfriend there still won`t be any more chemistry....or maybe we`re just stuck on the great chemistry that he had with mao-chan :mrgreen: :wub:
haha
maybe that chemistry between him and mao is too great that
they fear that nobody would like it if jun get with another girl so they purposely don't let him had any scene with her. through i did like the chemistry between him and karina, his co-worker, they look so much better than him and his gf. she look so old. actually the two girl look older than he is. maybe because of the hair but he look very young in here.

lee`s little alien

Post by lee`s little alien » Apr 27th, '07, 17:02

kiki wrote:
yeah that part
haha
they fear that nobody would like it if jun get with another girl so they purposely don't let him had any scene with her. through i did like the chemistry between him and karina, his co-worker, they look so much better than him and his gf. she look so old. actually the two girl look older than he is. maybe because of the hair but he look very young in here.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
yeah u might be right!i mean i have a feeling that if mao-chan would`ve been his girlfriend,even if they had few scenes together,the chemistry would be there all the time :lol i think that if mao would`ve played in bambino she would`ve liven-up the things even if she barely appeared :mrgreen: and yeah there`s more chemistry between him and the co-worked girl than between him and his gf!i have a feeling that he`ll end up with her :scratch: it`s clear that he feels something for her :lol that`s jun for ya........he gets all the women in a dorama :lol :lol :lol :lol

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Apr 28th, '07, 00:50

speaking of italian food... I was reading Arashi Vox's comments on bambino... there's some italian arashi fans there... anyway, I found the following conversation funny:

" 1 hour!"
that's how long it took me to figure out how to correctly spell...
capo cameriere
af;dskljk;lasdfj;asjdf
BAMBI~NO!
i can't figure out ANY of the food names or the italian words.
omfg how is anyone supposed to sub.
i guess i can just skip all the italian foods and words since the japanese didn't bother to translate them either :)
thank god for all the cooking and no talking scenes in BAMBI~NO :D

Yumiko212 wrote:
Oh..i'm Italian...
I laugh as well as how much I feel them to speak in Italian XDD Moreover many pietanze that name, do not exist in Italy! The beautiful thing is when they say "Cominciate a Lavorare!" that it means "We begin To work! "and all answer " Bene! " that it means " Well ! "
ahhhh jun is very niceee *__*

嵐 wrote:
can you guys look over these words for me? :)
tagliatelle
carpaccio di pesce
verdure miste
spaghetti al ragu di pesce spada
spigola ala griglia
spaghetti alla panna cruda
bistecca alla fiorentina
alpasta misto
farvia vongole
porta
arrosto di maiale
panata de pese
brodo

Yumiko212 wrote:
Ok :
tagliatelle
carpaccio di pesce
verdure miste
spaghetti al ragu di pesce spada
spigola ala griglia --> spigola alla griglia
spaghetti alla panna cruda --- > Spaghetti alla bagna cauda ( bagna cauda is Piemonte's food , but don't eat whit spaghetti XD)
bistecca alla fiorentina
alpasta misto ---> antipasto misto
farvia vongole --> fave e vongole
porta ---> it's means " to deliver "
arrosto di maiale
panata de pese ---> panata di pesce
brodo
( background rumors says " spaghetti alle vongole e sale ,via pronto al banco " )

stinger wrote:
you're subbing?? thanks a lot!!! ^___^
I'm really having a good time watching Bambino... I nearly fell from the chair form the shock when I heard "Spaghetti alla bagna cauda", cause it's a dish from my region, and it's really awful!!! Poor guests, they're trying to poison them... XDD
I was expecting to hear more common dishes, like "spaghetti al pomodoro" e "lasagne" but this... it's really gonna be interesting!! ^__^
btw if you have problems with the names I'll be happy to help you too!! I'm italian too, like Moni and Fede (friends form university btw XD) and Yumiko.... All you have to do is just ask!! ^^

ayisse replied to 嵐’s comment:
I have some italian words (and I cook) ehehe..some of the terms I think are names of dishes that don't translate to anything..
tagliatelle : Emilia-Romagna pasta (just a type, like spaghetti or macaroni)
carpaccio di pesce : fish carpaccio (raw appetizer that is usually out of beef)
verdure miste : mixed verdure
spaghetti al ragu di pesce spada : spaghetti bolognese with swordfish
spigola ala griglia : grilled spigola (?)
spaghetti alla panna cruda : if this really is bagna cauda, I've eaten it, it's a vegetable dip hahaha.. Vegetable dip spaghetti??
bistecca alla fiorentina : fiorentina beefsteak (this is yummy)
alpasta misto : mixed appetizers or mixed antipasto
arrosto di maiale : roasted pig ?
panata de pese : pese is pesce for fish so I think it's fish bread soup
Verdure Primavera: primavera is a type of pasta sauce (I still don't know what verdure is o_O)

nana_komatsu7 wrote:
ehm not "arrosto" di maiale but ARISTA di maiale ^^
hachiko

hachiko wrote:
Thank you for subbing!!!
I'm italian too...it's amazing to hear japanese actors speaking italian, even thou sometimes I don't understand what they say :-P of course I will help you if you need, just ask ^__^
@ayisse:
verdure means vegetables...but verdure primavera, well, I think they just invented it :-D
spaghetti alla bagna cauda don't exist at all!!! bagna cauda is a dish on its own (I really hate it) but please don't even try to eat it with spaghetti, that must be awful O___O my friends and I fell from the chair from laughing when we heard it :-D
arrosto di maiale is roasted pig, correct ;-)

Sakura Mars wrote:
i totally heard capo cameriere as "campo camedie"

LOL! :lol

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Apr 28th, '07, 00:57

why funny? ^^
We are helping our beloved friend to sub this drama ^^

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 28th, '07, 02:01

It always sound like gibberish when Japanese people try to speak foreign language :roll

Sometimes I even read Japanese subtitles to figure out English or Chinese spoken in Japanese shows XD Confusion is totally understandable.

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » Apr 28th, '07, 04:13

aah.. arashi@vox :-) I love that site. I find it cute to see the arashi fans helping to decipher jatalian ( japanese+italian..get it?.. :dopey: ) in Bambino. "Bene" is will? Why didn't they say yes in Italian instead? :scratch:

8thSin, can you please translate the messages between Bambino & Eri...I need to know what makes
Jun cry.. (more like squeezing the tears out of his eyes :fight: )
Thanks in advance m(_ _)m
Jun did ok. Felt the emotion jumping out of the screen from his intense performance eventhough I can barely understand a single word. Maybe too intense for tv..

Karina is cute in this & there's great chemistry with Jun but I'm rooting for BambinoEri because it made Bambino sweeter.

Craving for pasta now...

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Apr 28th, '07, 05:28

^
The text message, right?
- How's Tokyo?
- You doing fine?
- I'm lonely...
- Don't lose! ---> Basically means "Don't give up!" here.
- I'm on your side!
- Still, I'm a bit worried. Are you okay?
- Ganbare! (Do your best!)

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » Apr 28th, '07, 07:16

8thSin wrote:^
The text message, right?
- How's Tokyo?
- You doing fine?
- I'm lonely...
- Don't lose! ---> Basically means "Don't give up!" here.
- I'm on your side!
- Still, I'm a bit worried. Are you okay?
- Ganbare! (Do your best!)
THANKS!

belleza

Post by belleza » Apr 28th, '07, 12:14

Ahh, finally got to around watch the first episode. I shall now write a letter.

Dear Chef Baka,
Chef Baka, you are so baka!! Haven't you read Kitchen Confidential , or watched Gordom Ramsey make Chuck Norris cry? If you really belong in a kitchen, you would know that all cooks are secretly pirates (it's true!) And pirate sempai will tell you this -- you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile. Baka, why were you SO asking to be pwned by the pirates?

Oh and brodo . . . what were you thinking?!? Chicken stock is the mother of haute Mediterranean. And you were asked to not just stock but (I think) glace viande. It is the first thing you learn in culinary school. If your stock wreeks of blood, how can you call yourself a cook baka? And how could you not tell sempai that you didn't know how to do the stock? How stupid are you Mr. Baka? You should have walked the plank!!

Oh and when pirate sempai beats the crap out of you, that's chef love d00d. Because the worst thing a cook is let you mess up his kitchen. Be grateful and don't spill the blood all over the soup, ne?

Anyhoo . . . I hate the main chef's daughter already. Don't even think about it! Oh and stop putting your hands to your hips like a homosexual chicken. Be a man! Be like Rui!
Cheers,
Makino Sensei

About the way he was treated. The truth is, Chef Baka's behaviour in the kitchen was completely unacceptable. Sloppy (look at those unwashed pots!!), slow, and unwilling to ask for help. Did I mention he took forever to cook pasta al dente? The climax of that isn't that far off in some kitchens, and the show did a good job contrasting the "fantasy" of the dining room with the pressure cooker, blood and guts atmosphere of the kitchen. Chef Baka apparently was dreaming about his girlfriend and perfectly cooked calimari, because CLEARLY he didn't observe how intense a real kitchen is like. Also, the show does a good job at digging at Baka's mistaken belief (shared by most starting out) that professional cooking is all about his ability to make a great dish.

Sato Ryuta was excellent as the pirate sempai. Yes, the character seems cruel, but his depiction precisely articulated the zero tolerance top cooks have for upstarts who pretend well above their station. I'm used to seeing Ryuta play wimpy comic characters or really broad heavies. Here he's just . . . manly. :D

Jun was okay in his role. He did a nice job playing the country bumpkin of Baka, and he seemed to get better as the episode went on. I liked the vibe between him and the girl back home.

I'm kinda hoping Bambino kinda goes beyond the restaurant and gives up a tour of Roppongi. Roppongi is the ex-patriates district in Tokyo -- Chinatown for white people. :D

I have to say, though, I hated the editing and film direction. The slow-motion, black and white stills, rain effects, roving camera, and aerial camera shots were distracting. Hey, if this is a racing J-drama where teens go drifting on a mountain road, great. But who needs this silly stylization for searing pork chops? Give me claustrophobia; give me 110 degree 100% humidity; give me yelling and cut fingers and greasy colours. THAT's a kitchen.

So right now, it's a mixed bag for me. I like overall its depiction of a high pressure workplace and a kid who's getting his trial by fire. Oh and the food porn is especially naughty! The story seems a little formless, and the active cast seems a little large for this kind of show. Hopefully the story tightens up in Episode 2. Does Makino have to come over and beat some sense into Baka-san?

Linh[hyd=3]

Post by Linh[hyd=3] » Apr 28th, '07, 16:32

i've watched the 1st episod, the 1st thing I found very good in the drama is the cooking *____*

hope that the continuation will be better :)

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 28th, '07, 16:53

kiki wrote:
yeah that part
haha
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
yeah u might be right!i mean i have a feeling that if mao-chan would`ve been his girlfriend,even if they had few scenes together,the chemistry would be there all the time :lol i think that if mao would`ve played in bambino she would`ve liven-up the things even if she barely appeared :mrgreen: and yeah there`s more chemistry between him and the co-worked girl than between him and his gf!i have a feeling that he`ll end up with her :scratch: it`s clear that he feels something for her :lol that`s jun for ya........he gets all the women in a dorama :lol :lol :lol :lol
hum that may it be but
eventhough karina had good chemistry than his girlfiend, i don't want him to be with her since his whole reason to work hard is because he love to cook and because of his girlfriend. She is his source of motivation for him to kept going on. I find the relationship is sweet even if i don't felt the chem there.

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Apr 28th, '07, 17:02

Misato-san wrote:why funny? ^^
We are helping our beloved friend to sub this drama ^^
Um, I didn't express myself correctly... sorry... I found funny all those comments about bagna cauda, it was new information for me and I found it interesting... and how difficult it is for italian speakers to understand j-italian... It's "engrish" all over again :lol
I'm hoping for some more "italian-sounding nonsense" in the near future so I can laugh out loud.

Ah... belleza... as always, right you are!

Robina

Post by Robina » Apr 29th, '07, 04:27

Might be a bit late to join the conversation :D
Today i just got the chance to watch Bambino ep.1 ..i was waiting for the sub (^_^)

Bambino Spoiler Ep.1
I look confused in his first day on work, they are all working fast, to be honest i really don't know why my mind was thinking of hell kitchen show :roll strange naa~

OK!! I think Jun character suit him much, and looks like a promising drama.
But when i heard then say the menu in Italain i was like Ohhh :unsure:

I felt sorry for him, he was sooo confident in the beginning and now he look lost but he will make it.

The scene were he didn't make that soup or sauce right and the chef came & i thought that he will hit him hard on his face & then BOOM to the bang guy :blink
Can't wait to see the next episode :-)
Can't wait to see what will happen next!

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Apr 29th, '07, 10:12

EP02 is a clencher. I loooved ep 2 compared to the first one. That just means this drama is gonna get good. *excited*

kiki

Post by kiki » Apr 29th, '07, 10:12

bambino ep. 2 sub coming out. Get at arashi.vox

malljclay

Post by malljclay » Apr 29th, '07, 17:11

I like this drama so far but Jun's charac. is totally diff. from all his other roles.
Usually his the one doing the hitting....but now hes the one getting hit.

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » Apr 29th, '07, 19:46

aishoni2 wrote: "Bene" is will? Why didn't they say yes in Italian instead? :scratch:
no "Bene" is "ok" in that case ^__^

Yes in Italian is "Si'" but in that case it's more polite using "va bene" :D

belleza

Post by belleza » May 2nd, '07, 10:35

Wow. . BIG quality increase in episode 2. The story is still a bit formeless for my tastes, and I think the film direction could be tighter . . . but, yeah, it's good to already see big character development going on with Chef Baka. A nice bit of acting from Jun kinda working through the emotions of the episode 2.
Like 8th Sin, I really liked the little conservation about him growing up by kinda sucking it up and not giving up.

I think the appeal for me with Episode 2 was how it nicely it laid down the differences between him, a country kid who was top dog in his small town, and the hardened city people who look over their shoulders at their competition. When he's looking at the moon, you can feel just out of sorts this small fish was in this big pond. Baka was grating in Episode 1, but here he seemed truly like a boy among men.

I think the unspoken thing in this episode is that, probably, everyone was just like Chef Baka when they came to the restaurant. Everyone was **** and then badly incompentent and then had their personal moment of truth when they either bit the bullet or went back. Everyone had their moment with the moon. I don't know how many of you have ever moved to a much bigger, tough, more alien place than from where you came. And the have that place totally own you until you have either quit or you make up your mind to fight. Well, this is pretty much how it feels like. And you can't win a war in a day either. It's all small battles, and not all you can win. You just roll with it, learn and lick your wounds and keep going. It's extremely exciting and lonely in the big city. But you won't forget the lessons.
Really liked how Karina is playing off of Jun. When he cuts himself, she conveyed a tinge of compassion, which balanced out her hostility toward him in the previous scene. Nicely played. Also, there's something very strained and kinda scary about Jun's acting style. When he cries, it seems physically painful for him. It makes a nice contrast with Karina's relaxed, uncomplicated acting style. Due to Jun and Karina being the main stars of the show, it seems like the show will bring Baka and Asuka together.

lee`s little alien

Post by lee`s little alien » May 2nd, '07, 16:39

:cheers: u go belleza!as usual after a comment of yours there`s nothing else to say...u look so deep into the whole thing...it`s amazing!
i think each and every one of us has a "bambi moment"in his life!i experienced this kind of hardship when i first got a job a couple of years ago :lol i was somehing like a secretary and the other "workmates" used to give me like over 3000 documents to xerox (per day)....or over 100 letters to put in envelope and write all the stuff on them and post them with a "receive confirmation"...and my boss always said that i`m too slow in doing the things!she used to call just to see how fast i answer the phone :crazy: :lol but now when i think back i really laugh at those times(but then i used to cry my eyes oout eachtime i got home :mrgreen: )!a thing like this really can make u lose ur self-confidence!

what about u minasan?what/when was your "bambi moment" ? :mrgreen:

kiki

Post by kiki » May 2nd, '07, 18:27

we all have our bambi moment, for me, everytime, i goes to new surrounding, i felt i don't know anytning and had to start from scratch again. Either in work place or school, that the feeling that i had.

kiki

Post by kiki » May 2nd, '07, 18:31

one more thing anyone who can't wait to dl. bambino ep. 3 goes here
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... mbino-ep32

thelefteyeguy

Post by thelefteyeguy » May 2nd, '07, 20:53

didnt get a chance to read all the responses to this thread....so is it common place to use "dried" pasta?...don't Italian restaurants use fresh pasta?

EDIT...been reading some of the comments...other ppl have noticed it too....very strange they would use dried pasta in a restaurant similar to this.

belleza

Post by belleza » May 2nd, '07, 21:51

she used to call just to see how fast i answer the phone but now when i think back i really laugh at those times(but then i used to cry my eyes oout eachtime i got home Mr. Green )!a thing like this really can make u lose ur self-confidence!
Oh definitely. There's been a few times that I kinda sobbed in my little, too small room just asking myself what the heck I was going to do. Then . . . you know, you pull the Rocky Road, the alcohol, and speed dial of all your best friends. ALL better! ;) Sigh Chef Baka is making it all harder on himself not sharing his pain with Makino-erm-his girlfriend. Does JunImeanBan EVER learn? ;)

A professional kitchen, esp. a good kitchen, is an especially alpha male environment. (Most cooks are really pirates. It's true!)
That's something to keep in mind with Asuka -- she can work the pasta station (i.e. the main course station), but instead she's still stuck doing the appetizers/salads. Because she carries the stigma of being a woman -- in this macho "only real men can work the main course" mentality -- she has to work twice as hard as her peers to prove that she can handle the high pressure of the main course service. Now here comes this young, useless punk, someone who should probably be doing her job who gets puts on the main course, even though he is way over his head. Of course she resents him.

And of course his sincerity, after he cut himself, also moves her. It's later revealed that she's been to the doctor quite a few times, and she can empathize with him. She begins to sense that maybe, just maybe, they are not so different. Well besides the curly hair, no way she would be caught dead with Chef Baka's Purple Rain hair. ;)
didnt get a chance to read all the responses to this thread....so is it common place to use "dried" pasta?...don't Italian restaurants use fresh pasta?
I think it is in Japan. If you notice, every thing was served with spaghetti. I think Asuka's showcase broccoli dish is usually made with gnocchi. Also it looked like they weren't properly draining the pasta prior to adding the sauce. Eek. Chef Baka can't handle the equivalent of Olive Garden/Macorronni Grill? Ba. Ka. :D

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » May 2nd, '07, 22:10

belleza wrote: I think Asuka's showcase broccoli dish is usually made with gnocchi. [
No it isn't ^^
Gnocchi are good for other dishes like those with sauces.

belleza

Post by belleza » May 2nd, '07, 22:13

Actually my first thought was fuselli, because I've had something like that with fuselli.

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » May 2nd, '07, 22:25

belleza wrote:Actually my first thought was fuselli, because I've had something like that with fuselli.
Can I... correct you? It's fusilli XD (with "i")

Broccoli are good with spaghetti... but fusilli are an interesting choice.

kiki

Post by kiki » May 2nd, '07, 22:44

just watch ep. 3 raw anyway. what i felt
i hadn't read the manga yet so i think it kind of moving too fast since his three month is up and he returning home to his girlfriend. But he seems unsatified with everything. Hm interest to see what happen next cause in preview saw him ran toward something and his girlfriend was crying

belleza

Post by belleza » May 2nd, '07, 22:45

Ahh, thankie. I was going to call it fooselli originally. ;) BTW, how would you evaluate the cooking on the show?

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » May 2nd, '07, 23:33

belleza wrote:Ahh, thankie. I was going to call it fooselli originally. ;) BTW, how would you evaluate the cooking on the show?
Lol ^__^

Uhm... I'm glad because dishes are so... real and good looking ^^;
The "spagnetti alla bagnacauda" one of the first episode doesn't exist but all the others are real Italian food o_O

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » May 3rd, '07, 07:20

kiki wrote:bambino ep. 2 sub coming out. Get at arashi.vox
Thanks for episode 2 subs!

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 3rd, '07, 09:33

Misato-san wrote:
aishoni2 wrote: "Bene" is will? Why didn't they say yes in Italian instead? :scratch:
no "Bene" is "ok" in that case ^__^

Yes in Italian is "Si'" but in that case it's more polite using "va bene" :D
Thanks for the explaination! :D

I love reading belleza comments. You describe Chef Baka really well although the thought of Tsukushi barging in the kitchen makes me cringe. I really love Karina in this but I still think Asuka & Ban relationship won't go further than friends only.

umm... how to make the brocoli spagetti like Asuka's. Brocoli, sausages(?), garlic (?) & olive oil?

oh.. Thanks Kiki for the streaming vid link. I was cheering & LOLing away watching Ban practicing.

Misato-san

Post by Misato-san » May 3rd, '07, 11:43

aishoni2 wrote:
Misato-san wrote:umm... how to make the brocoli spagetti like Asuka's. Brocoli, sausages(?), garlic (?) & olive oil?
You can find the recipe on official website or on lj community hakata_ben, translated into English ^_____^

belleza

Post by belleza » May 3rd, '07, 15:30

From the LJ site . . .
Sausage and Broccoli Stalk Pasta (Makes 4)
Ingredients:
2 cups of spaghetti
3 sausages (or 10 1/2 oz. of cut up meat)
5-6 pieces of broccoli stalks
1 chili pepper
2 cloves of garlic
Olive oil
Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of white wine

Preparation:
1. Remove the pulp of a garlic and squash it. Remove the seeds from
the chili pepper. Set aside.
2. Peel the skin off the broccoli stalks and slice them into pieces.
Set aside.
3. Cook the pasta according to a direction on the package.
4. Heat olive oil and garlic in a frying pan. When you begin to
smell the garlic, add the chili pepper. Discard the chili pepper if
you don't prefer it to be spicy.
5. Add and cook broken pieces of sausages or meat with salt and
pepper. Then add the white wine and let it cook at high heat.
6. Add broccoli to the pot one minute before the pasta is done.
Drain well and add them to the frying pan. Stir.
7. Remove heat. Add parmesan cheese and toss quickly. Serve warm.
Questions:
1) Shouldn't the broccoli cook a bit longer and perhaps in more heavily salted water than the pasta water?

2) Would it be best to add the cheese to the still wet spaghetti directly, let it bind a bit, THEN add the sauce?

3) Thoroughly brown the sausage before adding the white wine to deglaze?

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » May 3rd, '07, 18:28

I suppose it depends on how well cooked one likes the broccoli (soft and mushy, soft but still very green-colored, green and crunchy) and how tender the vegetable was when raw ... and from what i know, in cooking, it's best if you cook stuff with as little salt as possible, then correct it in the end, before serving... because if you add too much salt at the beginning there's no going back.
I also suppose one SHOULD brown the sausage a bit before adding the white wine, the best meat flavor there is, is that of smoked-meat, that is "roasted"/"fried" or whatever...

And the cheese, I heard an italian chef (donatto de santi) once say that parmesan cheese should be optional, therefore added in the end, right before serving, and only if the person wants it. But here in latinamerica, in the italian-descendant community, it's really common, almost the norm, to add lots and lots of parmesan to the pasta... :lol

Oh well.

ir0nm0use

Post by ir0nm0use » May 3rd, '07, 19:24

belleza wrote: Questions:
1) Shouldn't the broccoli cook a bit longer and perhaps in more heavily salted water than the pasta water?
How long the broccoli cooks depends strictly on the size cut. it should be a bright green color and be al dente (firm but not hard) .Salt on a boiled vegetable comes AFTER cooking it doesn't really gain anything from salted water. Plus its easier to control the flavor that way.In A dish like this it will gain saltiness from the cheese.
belleza wrote:2) Would it be best to add the cheese to the still wet spaghetti directly, let it bind a bit, THEN add the sauce?
If you add the cheese too soon you get stings (from melting)and that is unattractive when you serve. Plus if you add it last it almost acts as a garnish.
belleza wrote:3) Thoroughly brown the sausage before adding the white wine to deglaze?
I would brown the sausage remove from the pan (keep it warm) Deglaze the pan get the fond up (its the yummy bits stuck to the bottom of the pan) add everything back together for a quick toss to warm.

I am a Culinary student with straight A's hope this helps.

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » May 3rd, '07, 19:31

belleza wrote:BTW, how would you evaluate the cooking on the show?
Hi there, the pasta dishes look pretty easy, but maybe that's what Italian restaurants are like in Tokyo?

ir0nm0use

Post by ir0nm0use » May 3rd, '07, 19:47

Actually most dishes are simple the hard part comes from the chaos in the kitchen and having to get out your food quickly. The hardest part I find in a kitchen is cooking your food till its Almost done so the carry over cooking will complete it on its way to table. or for large banquets you have to heat every thing up it would be over cooked if it was completely cooked the first time,
In the first episode I agreed the he moved too slow.

What you pay for is the experience and the quality of food. restaurants get first pick of ingredients which means they get the best. what you get in your grocery stores is next then is your "discount" stores.

Eternal Snow

Post by Eternal Snow » May 3rd, '07, 20:50

should we turn this thread into a cooking one?? :lol >> Just kidding..

love ur opinions guys!! ^^

Takekaze

Post by Takekaze » May 3rd, '07, 21:19

chiakisama wrote:
belleza wrote:BTW, how would you evaluate the cooking on the show?
Hi there, the pasta dishes look pretty easy, but maybe that's what Italian restaurants are like in Tokyo?
Pasta IS easy. It's not at all challenging to cook. Then again, I've heard of people who manage to burn water.

As for chaos being the hard part... not really, not if you have a plan and follow it. If there's chaos in the kitchen, then you don't know what you're doing and should preferably stay away from it.

Restaurants don't necessarily buy the best, depending on the restaurant they may buy the most expensive stuff (which doesn't make it the best, though (compare it to cars, a Ferrari is expensive, but not really the best car)). And what they buy they usually get cheaper anyway, since they buy large numbers (they don't really get "first pick", they just buy at different locations than the normal user, "first pick" wouldn't work anyway, what if there are three restaurants buying at the same place, who gets first pick, they'd eventually end up fighting over it). Also keep in mind that they want to make profit, which is the most important reason. And then they have bills themselves: staff, electricity, gas, maybe a rent for the location, taxes, etc.

Just a note, heating something up and cooking it are two pair of shoes. For catering they usually cook the stuff right away and just keep it warm. When done properly you can't overcook by heating it up, after all it's just adding warmth until the temperature is the way the chef wants it to be, it's not high enough to actually cook something. Exceptions are dishes that are to be cooked "live" at the location and things like factory canteens (like in the Volkswagen factory, they get their stuff frozen and either have to cook it themselves -easily done, just follow the print on the package- or heat it up).

In a high class restaurant the "carry over cooking" doesn't finish anything, as the staff there has to serve it quickly (a minute or two -if at all- aren't enough to finish with "carry over cooking"). No dish there leaves "undercooked". No decent chef would allow that. Heck, if it's a large menue, then the food spends a while on the plates until the horde of waiters delivers it to every guest at the same time. Think of a catering event with 100, 200 people in a high class atmosphere. The kitchens there turn into a production line.

Haven't seen the show yet, but hey, he's not Jamie Oliver, of course he's slow. It takes a few thousand onions, carrots or whatever else to be really fast with the knife. You can't get that routine in just a few weeks. It takes months, years.

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » May 4th, '07, 19:32

donna8157 wrote:
kiki wrote:bambino ep. 2 sub coming out. Get at arashi.vox
Thanks for episode 2 subs!
Thanks kiki for the letting us know

robetella

Post by robetella » May 6th, '07, 04:48

What's the site for Arashi vox? Thanks.