[img]http://wiki.d-addicts.com/static/images ... telier.jpg[/img]

# Title: ホテリアー
# Title (English): Hotelier
# Genre: Romance
# Format: Renzoku
# Episodes: 8
# Broadcast network: TV Asashi

Synopsis

Ueto Aya plays Odagiri Ryoko who is a manager of a hotel, which a businessman (Oikawa Mitsuhiro) is trying to take over.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hotelier_%28TV_Asahi%29

I think there are quite a lot of famous actors in the show, nice to see them :)

I wonder if Aya spoke good Korean in the drama. Can she really speak it ? Or it just for the show ?
Anyway it was quite funny to hear Aya speaking English and Korean in the first episode :)

TG3

Post by TG3 » Apr 21st, '07, 14:43

Good first episode. I haven't watched the original Korean series upon which this was based. For those who saw that, how does this compare? I'm also glad to see Aya Ueto in a different kind of role.

ilurrveniki

Post by ilurrveniki » Apr 23rd, '07, 04:48

I just finished watching episode one and I must this drama is VERY impressive!!

I love the whole cast, especially seeing Ueto Aya acting in a totally different role! I love her acting and she is very very pretty!!

Ep1 gave us a brief yet detailed outline of the hotel's situation and it looks like several men are falling for ueto aya!!!

yatta!!

I cant wait to see how this hotel will be in the future!! Really looking forward to it! I hope the ratings will be very high! This is one of the best dramas so far this season!!!!

Does anyone have the theme song by ueto aya?? And does anyone know if this hotel really exists in Japan?? It looks very grand!! SUTEKI!!!! :cheers:

Big cheers for dfansubs for soft subbing this drama!!!

oro77

Post by oro77 » Apr 23rd, '07, 06:44

I did not know there were soft subs, maybe I will watch it again with subs . I did not get the whole story, especially during the anniversary party.

Aya is really great in this drama, as usual her acting is very good.

The casting is also interesting but the rating doesn't seem so good :(
11.1 % with a very good broadcast hour : Thursday at 9:00

Maybe not so many ads for the drama, not like Joudan janai

airskape

Post by airskape » Apr 23rd, '07, 13:40

enjoyed the first ep a lot!
very interesting drama and its great to see aya in a different role. she is cute with long hair :D
will most likely be sticking to this!

furelise
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furelise » Apr 23rd, '07, 13:48

this looks good judging from the first ep... but 8 eps in all seems a little short..

seaweed

Post by seaweed » Apr 23rd, '07, 13:51

Ueto Aya is really different in this role. It's childishness away! =) Episode 1's not bad. Looking 4ward to the next epi

TG3

Post by TG3 » Apr 25th, '07, 03:49

seaweed wrote:Ueto Aya is really different in this role. It's childishness away! =) Episode 1's not bad. Looking 4ward to the next epi
Yup. No more HS girl roles, and not even a quirky, funny character like in "Attention Please." But honestly, I think this is just the role she needs to become a more complete actress.

oro77

Post by oro77 » Apr 25th, '07, 04:02

I think she alereadu had serious role like in Tsubasa no Tenshi (I forgot the long title) and also in Koukou kyoushi, in this one she was childish because of the role of the high school girl but quite serious show.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Apr 25th, '07, 09:32

First, thank you, D-Fansubs, for the subtitles. Second, well, I have watched the original Korean version, and liked it (right from the first episode.) In comparison, the Japanese version seems rushed, somehow. Everything is done very quickly, with little explanation. Why, say, does the Aya Ueto character, a comparatively low-level employee, attend the hotel president's sickbed (with his wife and son)? One Japanese guy in Seoul is explained, but why are the two others there?

A big problem is the ages of the main cast. Aya Ueto still seems too young to play someone taking responsibility for a large hotel's anniversary dinner. The Ogata character from Seoul is worse; he looks at most a few years older, but is supposed to take charge of the entire hotel (and to have treated AU as a daughter???)

The Korean version had a rather important subplot dealing with adoption (of Korean children to the US.) I wonder whether any of this remains in the Japanese one.

airskape

Post by airskape » Apr 25th, '07, 11:09

i dont think aya's characters status level of employment is that low, she is the assistant manager. kind of contradicts your other statement in that she is taking responsibility for a large hotel's anniversary dinner yet her status as an employee is low-level. anyway, im sure she is just close to the president and his family personally which is why she was at his side in the hospital

not sure what you mean by the japanese guy and the two others being in seoul..cant really remember that scene

anyway, since when did dramas have to be realistic to the point where they have to be accurate in terms of real life. lets just enjoy the drama! :D
my boss my hero jdrama, for example, a 27 year old yakuza pretending to be a high school student? yeah..that happens everyday lol

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Apr 25th, '07, 21:39

The first ep was nice. But there is no hook except that Aya is very elegant in this one (a relief from the silly characters she had to play). I think that the relationship among the staff is way too confusing and distracting from the main plot.

ruisu

Post by ruisu » Apr 26th, '07, 22:41

sakari, i see what you're saying, but only after you pointed it out. it sounds like the korean version did do a better job of developing the characters, but i still think this version is doing a good job. again, only after you pointed it out did i even begin to consider that.

well...i was impressed, this looks like a fun drama with a real sense of movement, not so linear...know what i mean?

i was kind of sad when i went to download the subs for episode two and they weren't there :unsure:

Toritorisan

Post by Toritorisan » Apr 27th, '07, 01:41

I actually enjoyed the first episode. I thought the Kdrama version was a bit too long and got draggy. So I'm hoping that this version will be better. Who knows? Maybe they'll make a part 2 like HYD did...

I did kind of find it weird too how Ueto Aya's character is in such a high position for such a young age and especially a woman in Japan. But, this is TV world and anything goes! :D I'm wondering if anyone watched it live in Japan and have spoilers to share! Episode 2 looked like it was going to be interesting from last week's preview.

babyviolet

Post by babyviolet » Apr 27th, '07, 02:00

I hope that Bae Yong Jun not only appear in ep 1, want to see him more.

ruisu

Post by ruisu » Apr 27th, '07, 02:09

mmm...if i had to guess i'd say Bae Yong Jun and two other guys aren't coming back. Unless one comes back as a ghost or in flash backs.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Apr 27th, '07, 06:01

airskape wrote:i dont think aya's characters status level of employment is that low, she is the assistant manager. kind of contradicts your other statement in that she is taking responsibility for a large hotel's anniversary dinner yet her status as an employee is low-level. anyway, im sure she is just close to the president and his family personally which is why she was at his side in the hospital
Well, she seems to be an assistant manager in the room(s?) division. There will be a manager in that division above her. Above that manager, there is the general manager. Only then do we get to the president. Thinking hierarchically, if there is one representative of the personnel at the president's sickbed, it should be the general manager, not an ass't mgr of the room(s?) division.

As to the dinner, why is an ass't mgr of the room(s?) division active at all in the restaurant? Why does she enter the kitchen? Why does she talk to the head cook? Shouldn't any problems be handled by the restaurant staff?

All of this can be accepted in the Korean version, simply because Song Yoon-ah, who plays the character, is (well, was) about 30, that is, almost 10 years older than Aya Ueto now. So, everything can be explained with history; SYA having worked in the hotel for 10 years or so, she knows everybody, she can talk to everybody. AU looks like she was employed last month. Not her fault, of course, but...
airskape wrote: not sure what you mean by the japanese guy and the two others being in seoul..cant really remember that scene
This is just what I meant by "rushed". Odagiri meeting Mizusawa in Seoul is important because of what is yet to happen in Tokyo. But the scene is done so quickly that, apparently, it can be missed altogether.
airskape wrote: anyway, since when did dramas have to be realistic to the point where they have to be accurate in terms of real life.
No, they don't have to. But people still have to have reasons for what they do.Odagiri and Ogata do have reasons for being in Seoul - what are Mizusawa's?

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Apr 27th, '07, 11:30

Sakari wrote: The Ogata character from Seoul is worse; he looks at most a few years older, but is supposed to take charge of the entire hotel (and to have treated AU as a daughter???)
It seems I was fooled, big time, by Seiichi Tanabe's youthful looks. According to Drama Wiki, he was born in 1969. That makes him, in fact, the same age as Kim Seung-woo, who played the part in the Korean version back in 2001.

Let's think. In the Korean version, the two characters (played by Song Yoon-ah and Kim Seung-woo, respectively) were about the same age and used to, in fact, date before the KSW character's abrupt departure. One subplot is this old - interrupted - romance.

In the Japanese version, there is a comparatively huge age gap of almost 20 years (between Tanabe and Aya Ueto.) This probably means that the old-romance subplot has been dropped...

wubles

Post by wubles » May 1st, '07, 04:37

I'm just watching this for Sato Yuki :)

airskape

Post by airskape » May 1st, '07, 12:24

sucks there isnt much discussion on this drama :(
i really like it compared to other dramas this season

akane is damn hot..lol (saeko)

Sono

Post by Sono » May 4th, '07, 20:04

I can't wait for episode 3 !!

i've never noticed Oikawa Mitsuhiro ...so good actor ...!!!
I'm sure this drama will be a good entertainment !

wls2948

Post by wls2948 » May 5th, '07, 02:30

oikawa mitsuhiro is an under rated actor always in supporting roles in drama like nodame cantible...finaclly he gets a break as a leading man...great actor...

Sono

Post by Sono » May 5th, '07, 12:55

Hotelier is aired friday or saturday ?

yeah totally underrated ...but i'm sure with his character in hotelier he can prove his skills!

wls2948

Post by wls2948 » May 5th, '07, 13:21

it airs every Thursday 9pm TV Asahi....

wls2948

Oikawa Mitsuhiro "great Actor"

Post by wls2948 » May 5th, '07, 15:03

the japanese equivalent of Korean's Lee JUN KI

ilurrveniki

Post by ilurrveniki » May 5th, '07, 23:20

How come ep3RAW is not released?

Ep2 was during 27th april.. so shouldnt there be one on the 3rd? Or was there a change in tv programs?

I love this drama!~ Its awesome!! :cheers:

wls2948

Post by wls2948 » May 7th, '07, 10:57

I LOVE this drama!!! So sad it is not getting good ratings...just like the korean drama "GoongS", the ratings were so disappointing though the drama was good....

Ueto Aya and Oikawa Mitsuhiro are awesome!!

dmaechan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dmaechan » May 18th, '07, 15:19

i've liked this drama since i saw the 1st episode... i thought it was going to be one of those boring, draggy shows...which is why i didn't want to watch it at first... but it's really good.. can't wait for eps.5 subs!

..and that Oikawa Mitsuhiro.... <3 <3 I luv him and his character!!!
he looks a lot better than he did in Nodame^-^ (quite a few actors from Nodame are in this drama, i see)

...the actor who plays Ogata is the sempai in Kimi wa petto, ne? still don't like him..dunno why^^;

wls2948

Post by wls2948 » May 19th, '07, 01:16

hey is the subs for episode 5 out yet? can't wait to see episode 5...can someone share some spoilers here???did kyoko and keigo make up?

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 23rd, '07, 03:20

I just started this drama yesterday, and I've already gone through all 5 episodes. This one is terrific! I feel bad that I didn't start watching sooner.

Oikawa Mitsuhiro just steals the show. Mizusawa was probably my favorite character by the end of the first episode! I'm not sure how anybody could have missed his introduction to Kyoko either. It stood out to me, as did the bit when she got her purse stolen and ended up in his car.

Admittedly, I haven't seen the original Kdrama, but I rather enjoyed not knowing exactly why Mizusawa and Kikuchi were in Seoul in the first episode. It's kinda like we get to learn about him at the same time that Kyoko does (whereas we know Ogata's reason to be there, simply because Kyoko already knows it). It doesn't strike me as an odd place for Mizusawa to be, as he travels all over the world generally. For the most part he seems to have just finished a job and is relaxing while waiting for the next job offer.
...the actor who plays Ogata is the sempai in Kimi wa petto, ne? still don't like him..dunno why^^;
I think I liked him a little better in Kimi wa Petto. He's a good actor, but I don't find Ogata to be quite as developed or as set up for viewer sympathy as Mizusawa. So Tanabe's basically playing second fiddle again, but with fewer cute moments.

Those subs went up fast for episode 5!

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 23rd, '07, 14:06

Can somone please explain the last scene from episode 5?
why were the two hunters at the staff meeting??

airskape

Post by airskape » May 23rd, '07, 14:21

ruisu wrote:Can somone please explain the last scene from episode 5?
why were the two hunters at the staff meeting??
umm..have you actually been following the storyline of the series? lol
they finally took over the hotel..they got the majority shareholding of the company therefore pretty much own it now

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 23rd, '07, 14:24

ooo...
i don't remember them actually taking over...i saw them driving the stock up so holders would cash out.

are you suuurree they took over already? :crazy:

airskape

Post by airskape » May 23rd, '07, 14:32

hmm im pretty sure they took over it..theres no other explanation lol
like you said they drove up the stocks so people would sell which would mean their shareholding would increase

if you've done basic company law, you'd know that once a shareholder has over 50% of shares in a company they can pretty much dictate how that company will run by electing the directors of their choice etc. so in this case they would probably elect morimoto to be a director of the company
well this is company law in australia anyway..not sure about other countries
finally some discussion about hotelier! probably my fav this season
havent seen much of bambino or proposal daisakusen since its only been subbed upto 3 or so
liar game is pretty stupid and the rest just arent worth watching for me :unsure:

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 23rd, '07, 14:37

ahh i guess that makes sense...just wanted to make sure. forsome reason i thought something else was happening.

i'm really enjoying hotelier too. =)

liar game is pretty dumb...the concept had so much potential (>.<)

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 23rd, '07, 16:37

I also got the feeling that they had taken over already from that scene. It seems the stockholders had sold off to "a foreign expatriate" due to the rising prices, and they we're telling the hotel that this man was coming over for a meeting in order to act as a consultant to the hotel now. So the impression it left me with was that Mizusawa must have reached a majority of the shares to have that kind of clout.

I'm interested in seeing how Mizusawa is going to respond to Kyoko's question in the next episode. He had to have known what kind of situation this was going to place her in, hence the listlessness and the talk about things being more complicated than he'd expected. So his telling her that there was no need for her to leave the hotel and to believe him sends a pretty mixed message.

I'm also looking forward to Akane's next move. She's turned out to be far more interesting that I thought she'd be from her introduction. I really wonder how she'll react when she finds out that Yosuke isn't just a bellboy, though she's still pretty fixated on Ogata.

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 23rd, '07, 23:12

Still, if they really already held the majority of the stock, wouldn't that be clearly stated somehow? I kind of think they don't yet have enough to effectively take it over, but enough to send themselves in as "consultants" who practically get to impose their way, ostensibly to redress the hotel's financial situation...
Now on a different track I'll come out and confess it was Bae Yong Jun's beautiful face (together with his long hair, of course XD ) that first got my attention for this drama... (he-he, not much of a surprise from a die-hard ga-wa-la-ga-wa-la-la-ga, is it :P ) but what made me instantly decide to watch it was when I spotted Oikawa Mitsuhiro among the cast! :w00t: :wub: :wub:
I first saw Oikawa Mitsuhiro as ベッシー in Manhattan Love Story and I was smitten at first sight :lol Fangirling follows:
He is beyond wonderful in this role! :wub: Even though his and Yon-sama's characters couldn't be more different, both of them are such an incredible blend of kakkoii and yasashii, that my poor little heart almost can't take it!! :wub: :cry: At first I was very sad that Shin Dong Hyuk gets so little screen time, but now I realize I would have pretty much died if there was more of him in addition to Mizusawa-sama! XD
To come back to the story, here is how I am afraid things will end up (please anyone who knows the story from watching the kdrama NOT to tell us the real ending!! :pale: Let us have the pleasure of speculation and uncertainty. while we can... :unsure: :roll)
No matter Akane's clinging, Ogata finally realizes how important Odagiri is to him (actually, I think he already kinda does :mrgreen: ) and somehow finds the guts to tell her that, whereupon she suddenly realizes she cannot leave him, her first love, so they become a couple to live happily ever after, with Akane (hopefully; we are talking the optimistic version here) settling for Yosuke's sincere love, while Mizusawa-sama has to go back to roaming the wide world, all lonely and sad... :cry: :cry: :cry: And that is the optimistic version, where nobody dies or ends up in prison! :pale:

wls2948

Post by wls2948 » May 24th, '07, 02:22

i agree ogata's character seems unable to express his feelings ... he seems to like Kyoko too but does not have the courage to speak up..... mizusawa on the other hand is very direct he told kyoko his feelings for her and even told ogata!!

episode 5 confused me a bit cos i am now curious as what is mizusawa trying to do...i thought he promised kyoko something then how come he did what he did at the end of the episode?

mizusawa is definitely the main character in this show as far as i see it cos he is very intelligent and he is a no nonsense person...not too given to emotions either...

gelli93

Post by gelli93 » May 24th, '07, 04:21

I luv this series!! Song Hye Kyo is soooo pwetty as always! :-) [/quote]

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 24th, '07, 04:36

Liantasse wrote: To come back to the story, here is how I am afraid things will end up (please anyone who knows the story from watching the kdrama NOT to tell us the real ending!! :pale: Let us have the pleasure of speculation and uncertainty. while we can... :unsure: :roll)
No matter Akane's clinging, Ogata finally realizes how important Odagiri is to him (actually, I think he already kinda does :mrgreen: ) and somehow finds the guts to tell her that, whereupon she suddenly realizes she cannot leave him, her first love, so they become a couple to live happily ever after, with Akane (hopefully; we are talking the optimistic version here) settling for Yosuke's sincere love, while Mizusawa-sama has to go back to roaming the wide world, all lonely and sad... :cry: :cry: :cry: And that is the optimistic version, where nobody dies or ends up in prison! :pale:

I can't even wrap my mind around Kyoko ending up with Ogata at this point. :cry: She's had all the buildup with Mizusawa in these first five episodes, and I just can't imagine any way to develop Ogata enough to become the romantic lead with only three episodes left. While I still fear the possibility some, I'm starting to feel that if it wasn't Mizusawa that she chose, Kyoko would end up alone. I get the feeling that while Ogata has feelings for Kyoko, he really loves the hotel most of all.

I'd really love to see Akane end up with Yosuke. He really likes her, and he's a much nicer guy than she's given him credit for. It would be rather entertaining how that would throw a monkeywrench into her father's plan too. Kinda a moot point taking over a hotel, if the present heir shacks up with your only heir. *chuckle*
After rewatching some earlier episodes today, I'm a little more confused about the consulting bit.
I think it was in episode 3 that Mizusawa's side had been talking to the bank about some part of their take over plan and basically saying that the bank was agreeing to it. So I'm not completely sure what that was about, and we've not really gotten more on it yet. Maybe, Japanese business law works kinda like those mystery illnesses that are so popular in doramas. You know the ones that are lifethreatening, but are never given a name or full explanation...
Anyhow, only hours to go before the next episode airs! Yay!

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 24th, '07, 06:26

ryoko11 wrote:
Liantasse wrote: To come back to the story, here is how I am afraid things will end up (please anyone who knows the story from watching the kdrama NOT to tell us the real ending!! :pale: Let us have the pleasure of speculation and uncertainty. while we can... :unsure: :roll)

I can't even wrap my mind around Kyoko ending up with Ogata at this point. :cry: She's had all the buildup with Mizusawa in these first five episodes, and I just can't imagine any way to develop Ogata enough to become the romantic lead with only three episodes left. While I still fear the possibility some, I'm starting to feel that if it wasn't Mizusawa that she chose, Kyoko would end up alone. I get the feeling that while Ogata has feelings for Kyoko, he really loves the hotel most of all.

I'd really love to see Akane end up with Yosuke. He really likes her, and he's a much nicer guy than she's given him credit for. It would be rather entertaining how that would throw a monkeywrench into her father's plan too. Kinda a moot point taking over a hotel, if the present heir shacks up with your only heir. *chuckle*
After rewatching some earlier episodes today, I'm a little more confused about the consulting bit.
I think it was in episode 3 that Mizusawa's side had been talking to the bank about some part of their take over plan and basically saying that the bank was agreeing to it. So I'm not completely sure what that was about, and we've not really gotten more on it yet. Maybe, Japanese business law works kinda like those mystery illnesses that are so popular in doramas. You know the ones that are lifethreatening, but are never given a name or full explanation...
Anyhow, only hours to go before the next episode airs! Yay!
i'm afraid to read you guy's comments because i haven't seen the k-drama.

demo i think ueta-san is the yasashi character in this story

airskape

Post by airskape » May 24th, '07, 11:08

i read all those spoiler tags, they have nothing to do with the kdrama :D
i hope no one posts anything too revealing from the kdrama too

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 24th, '07, 12:31

Oh yes, that's exactly what we were saying, wasn't it? :-) That we haven't seen the kdrama and don't want to be spoiled! :D :P Thank you airskape for pointing it out. :-) So please ruisu do read and tell us what you think.

wls2948, ryoko-chan, here's what I'm guessing about our leading man (:wub:) 's intentions with the "consulting":
Mizusawa, in whose soul true love has begun to work its miraculous transformations :wub: :lol , is now disgusted by Morimoto and the likes of his schemes -- I'm hoping for that because of the signs he's been showing of having started being unconfortable with his own path in life so far. That's why, maybe now he would also prefer to see the hotel doing well once again in the hands of its rightful owners. I think/hope he has a brilliant plan related to that. And although for a while it must mean retrenchment and some painful measures, once it's again freely sailing it can take up again all the employees it had before and some more besides. It's now only a matter of whether Kyoko (and the others) will trust him. As it seems he has the power to impose his plan, the others will probably submit because they have no choice, but for Mizusawa Kyoko's trust would mean the world, that's for sure. Of course, all of this is the imagination and wild guesses of a hopeless romantic XD so please take it with the proper pinches of salt and add your own thoughts here! :-)
Oh, and ryoko-chan, I really-really liked what you said about the final outcome!! :wub: Very reasonable, too!
So then I'll keep hoping that she won't end up alone -- somehow it wouldn't fit the story at all, now would it?! :roll

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 24th, '07, 15:59

No worries, ruisu! I haven't seen the kdrama either. We are just making our own guesses about what might happen in the jdrama from what's happened in the first five episodes of that. I don't plan to watch the kdrama until after I finish watching the whole Japanese one.

That is a nicely romantic one, Liantasse! I'd enjoy that. (Yeah, I'm a hopeless romantic too!) Hmmm... my thoughts on what he might be doing.
While he seems to be rethinking things, I'm not sure that he's given up the plan yet. I think he might need a little more time before he can change his stance on the hotel. Since Mizusawa doesn't particularly care what most people think of him, he might not have considered all the resentment that Kyoko could have to face from the rest of the staff. So Kyoko might have a real fight with him here and be left trying to figure out which is the real Mizusawa--the cold businessman or the man who stayed out in the rain looking for her lost necklace with his flashlight. Meanwhile, he'll be trying to figure out his priorities in life.

Again, pinch of salt. I figure since we're nearing the end of the series a bigger misunderstanding/fight could make a nice arc in these next episodes.

*chuckle* Nice to have guesses to keep us busy while we wait for the next episode.

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 24th, '07, 16:34

heheh...interesting takes. honestly i can't see what's gonna happen next...that's why i like it though! it can go so many ways. i do think though, that the hunter will fulfill his contract.

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 24th, '07, 16:44

ryoko-chan, you speak words of wisdom!! :-)

Yes, ruisu, I think he will, too, but I hope he will do it in a way that will burn Morimoto even worse than if he hadn't :D

It's so enjoyable discussing this series! :-) (Especially when it's a great excuse to distract me from stressing work! XD ) What are some of everyone's favourite scenes so far?

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 24th, '07, 16:57

i have to say the scene
in the park with the little boy was moving. or maybe it was when kyoko hugged him from behind, i forgot the lines that i found touching...but one or both of those scenes almost almost got me! :cry: ALMOST :lol
Last edited by ruisu on May 24th, '07, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 24th, '07, 19:09

Favorites scenes, huh? There are several that I particularly love. I'll put them in spoiler tags just to be safe in case someone visits the thread who hasn't seen the first 5 episodes.
The scene where Kyoko finds Mizusawa searching in the rain for her necklace, and how he finds it and confesses his feelings to her is one of my absolute favorites. That's probably why I referenced it in my last post.

I also have to second the park scene where we find out about Mizusawa's past as an abandoned child and see that he's not a man without tears. Yeah, that one gets me a bit too.

It's not just one scene, but I love the interactions between Kyoko and her sempai. The robe fight, the roses bickering, the drunk karaoke, etc... That friendship has a lot of warmth to it, and it's something I really enjoy.

The inaccurate depiction of Americans gives me quite a giggle. I love Mizusawa's cool act in the "knife" scene anyhow; so, when you team that with my amusement of how that Vegas casino owner was portrayed (a knife instead of a gun?), the scene is strangely endearing to me. I probably have a rather perverse sense of humor, admittedly. LOL I think Oikawa's English was really good there, too! L's and R's were where they should be, and his word emphasis was spot on. It's among the best I've heard in a dorama. :thumright:

And finally, Akane's confrontation with Morimoto when she decides to leave home. I loved seeing her show some backbone there. It was nice after how much she mostly was sulking and avoiding confrontations with Morimoto before that.

wls2948

Post by wls2948 » May 24th, '07, 22:16

my favourites scenes:

1. the car scene...she was so brave...notice how mizusawa obeyed her ha ha!! he was already smitten

2. the arrival of mizusawa at ocean hotel...i was shocked he spoke so directly to kyoko...kyoko had a shock and so did i...

3. hug from behind...who wouldn't love that one? definitely the best....

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 24th, '07, 22:48

Oh, thank you everyone for sharing! :wub: Keep it coming, I like reading about those lovely moments and remembering them! :-) I also have lots, but I'll only mention one now (should be working hard at the moment, but I seem to be finding every little pretext to write here instead of for my paper XD ).
So, one moment that almost had me die from too much beauty is when Mizusawa, after attaching Kyoko's necklace, gently holds her hair up and gets it loose from the necklace, and then places her long locks back in the front of her shoulders... Sorry for not being able to express the scene better, my English fails me! XD But I think you all remember that moment!!! :wub:
I almost could have never imagined such gentleness, I was like this: :faint: :wub: :cry: XD

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 25th, '07, 00:26

MASAKA!!!! NOOOO! :O :cry: :cry: :cry: What in the world possessed me to watch the ending of ep 6?!?!? :pale: I hope, I do hope against hope that: either I haven't heard correctly what he said, or actually I didn't understand the phrase right even though I understood all the words, OR it won't be true after all!!! :pale:

I'm heart-broken now! :cry: Served me right for peeking! Waaah! :cry:

Minna, don't look, don't look, don't do what I did, please let's wait for the subs like good children!! :cry:

wls2948

Post by wls2948 » May 25th, '07, 00:30

please don't keep us in suspense !!

what did he say????

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 25th, '07, 00:40

BIG SPOILER HERE for ep 6!!! Please don't read if you aren't sure you want to know!
He is reading something from some documents, about Kyoko. And then he goes into deep shock! :O And Kikuchi asks him: Doushita?
And I think he says: "Uso da! Kanojo wa... Kyoko-san wa... boku no imouto?!" :O

NOOO!!! Please, don't let it be like that!! :cry:
Last edited by Liantasse on May 25th, '07, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 25th, '07, 00:41

I'm still only at 63% of the file, so now I'm really curious! My Japanese is limited, but I'll see if I can make it out once I have the full episode. This week's gonna be a killer waiting for the subs, isn't it? Well, if the ending is as tumultous as it seems, it'll be a killer waiting for the next episode too...

EDIT: EEEEEP! I'll have to be on the listen for that. Is that in the episode itself or the promo for 7?

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 25th, '07, 00:45

Oh, for sure it will be!! :cry: The preview made me even more confused.
Like, dear me, who's the young man with the knife?! :O And Mizusawa seems to be telling Morimoto: "From now on, it's a different story!"
Edit: It was in the episode!! Those are the last words in ep 6!

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 25th, '07, 00:58

Boy do I hope that it's a mistake in the documents!! That's got to be the most evil cliffhanger ever! That's just wrong on so many levels....

It's a little disturbing just how often that twist seems to come up in Japanese stories...

Please let Mizusawa be mistaken.... :pray: :pray: :pray:

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 25th, '07, 01:05

Yes, yes, evil, evil cliffy! :cry: And it'll be awful if things stay like that. :cry:

Weren't we led to believe that this will be a feel-good drama in the end? Weren't we, now? :( Can we still hope now?!
I will hate it to pull a Summer Snow on us! :cry: Even though it's in a different sense...

Hmm, so, is that true about the twist? I didn't know it was so common... I would have thought that's a more Korean thing.... Not that I have watched too many kdramas. For the exact same reason that I hate horrible twists. :cry: But then, this was made after a kdrama, so it means we can expect ANY sort of tragic misfortune to happen! :O
Last edited by Liantasse on May 25th, '07, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 25th, '07, 02:09

Incest themes pop up regularly enough in manga, anime, and dramas. Look at MatsuJun's recent role in Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru, for example. If you did a search you'd find plenty of examples for that theme in Japanese stories.

I've not watched any Korean dramas yet, so I don't know how prevelent it is there. I generally avoid tragedies and tearjerkers anyhow, because I don't like that sorta thing. I'd rather have all my angst finished up and concluded with something feel-good. That's just my personal preference though.

Anyhow, if it's not a misunderstanding in this show by the end of episode 8, I'll have to check the spoilers on the Kdrama to see if that's the same before committing to 20 episodes of that.

Okay, my download is done. I'm starting the raw now.

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 25th, '07, 02:16

Yay, your dl is done! :-) I only skimmed through the raw and watched what scenes of Mizusawa and Kyoko I stumbled upon, and then that scary ending...

I guess I'll go to sleep now (if I'll be able to sleep, that is). :-)

This will be a weekend of fire and hail for me :( as I'm supposed to be working on a big mean project round the clock :( I'll be dropping by here, though, I'm afraid :lol so I'm looking forward to your thoughts! :-)

wls2948

Post by wls2948 » May 25th, '07, 02:49

Aaah??? what kind of cliff hanger is that? that is grosseeee...i will hate the writer if they put that in....

i want mizusawa and kyoko to be together :-( :-(

wls2948

Post by wls2948 » May 25th, '07, 03:22

i think the twist is added to pull up the ratings.....

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 25th, '07, 04:26

Okay. I'm not at all sure, but I might have found a loophole to "the twist".
I'm not sure exactly the details that were being given in the report that Mizusawa received (specifically what they said about how Kyoko is supposedly his sister), but I remembered there was an important detail about Kyoko's family that was revealed in episode 1 but never expanded.

Around 42 1/2 minutes into the first episode we have a flashback where Ogata is talking to Kyoko at her starting point. The subs are:

"You found out they weren't your real parents... so you left your house?"

Was Kyoko was adopted by Mizusawa's parents instead of being any kind of biological relation to him? Or was she given up by their parents the same as he was and only adopted by the Odagiri family later? Depending on what that report was telling him, it could make a big difference.

Take it with a few tablespoons of salt, but it's at least enough hope to get me through till we have the subs.

Good luck on your project, Liantasse! I hope you're able to sleep tonight and don't get too stressed this weekend!
i think the twist is added to pull up the ratings.....
wls2948, as long as they didn't give half their viewers fatal heartattacks with that twist! :glare: :lol

zenkzenk

Post by zenkzenk » May 25th, '07, 05:02

:goggle: Holy s**t! What a twist!
In the Korean version, Mizusawa's sister works in the kitchen of the hotel. I thought that in the Jap version she would be the one who was involved in the "plate collision" in episode 1.

wls2948

Post by wls2948 » May 25th, '07, 05:08

ryoko11, thanks for the "loophole"!!

i am going to check out the conversation between ogata ad kyoko....

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 25th, '07, 05:32

@zenkzenk
That's actually a big relief for me! Whatever else happens to the kdrama characters, I'm glad to know that they're NOT brother and sister at least in that version.
@wls2948
Also, in episode 3 she told Mizusawa a bit about her "father and mother". Then she added that her family was complicated, but didn't explain futher. So I'm not sure which direction those two clues are supposed to point us, but it could be a set up for a "misunderstanding". Maybe...
@Liantasse
That promo pretty much avoids the spoiler from this ep as much as possible. Suddenly, we've got Akane threatening suicide with a knife and the unknown man holding Kyoko at knife point. It must be the knife episode!

Now personally, I just don't know why Ogata's the one on the roof trying to save Kyoko. I thought episode one showed conclusively that Mizusawa was the guy you'd want when facing a man with a knife.

Back on the subject of the potential incest plot... who else finds it kinda interesting that Kyoko's potential love interests are:

Ogata, whom she told in episode one that she'd always viewed him like a father....

and

Mizuswa, who is potentially her brother.... ?

I think this thread could use a little hard alcohol right about now! Or maybe that's just me. :alcoholic:

wls2948

Post by wls2948 » May 25th, '07, 05:43

i said it before and i will say it again.. all these twists and turns to push up the ratings.... :lol

i don't care much as long as mizusawa and kyoko get together in the end

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 25th, '07, 09:16

Aaaah, ryoko-chan, I think I love you!! :wub: It does so much to my peace of mind!! :lol
I'm such a silly baby! How could I forget what I was always wondering about? XD I was always thinking: "How come those were not Kyoko's real parents, and it looks like she ran away from home when she found out, but she is still talking about them to Misuzawa as if they were?!" And: "How come Mizusawa says he followed his father to America, presumably as a teenager, and since then never returned to Japan, but then he confesses he'd been abandoned by his parents when he was a little kid?". Those two details kept bothering me :scratch: and I was on the lookout for more clues all the time :unsure: but see: at the first red herring of a sign of danger, I forgot all about it and fell into the scriptwriter's trap XD like they wanted me to!!! :lol

You're right, it's very interesting that Kyoko's love interests are a father-figure and an older-brother figure... And I'd welcome some hard alcohol right now, you bet!! :mrgreen: Now, still, if her real father abandoned her and her adoptive father died when she was so young, her feelings toward Ogata-san would be quite understandable. Somehow it suits her character to find love with a mature man, who can be the equal to her spirited and strong personality! :-) Anyway, she is young, but she's not a child, like Yosuke is. Btw, I hope he does some growing-up before the end of the series :-)

But to come back to Kyoko, the one who really suits her I think is of course Mizusawa!! Could she be happy next to the always restrained Ogata?! :unsure: I think not. :| She might admire his calm and reserve now, but in time it will start to get on her nerves, I'm sure XD

Speaking of favourite scenes, I particularly loved the one when Ogata asks Mizusawa to leave Kyoko alone, because "you can show your love also by not speaking, and keeping your distance" -- and Mizusawa meets him with "Are you talking about yourself?" XD Ha-ha!! Ogata was pwned, if you'll excuse the language! :lol

I love Mizusawa so much for being so open about his feelings!! :wub:
You had me LOL when you said:
I thought episode one showed conclusively that Mizusawa was the guy you'd want when facing a man with a knife.
:lol :lol Yes!!! So maybe he'll still be there! It would be wrong to leave him out at such an intense moment! :lol 8)

Argh, I'm dying to watch this episode and/or all the previous episodes XD but I must refrain :| If you catch me around here again today, tell me off and shoo me away!!! XD

wls2948

Post by wls2948 » May 25th, '07, 09:28

i am trying to do some maths here...according to the TV Asahi website...kyoko is 22, ogata 37 and mizusawa 35...so if say mizusawa left japan for us as a teenager at 15, that is why it has been 20 yrs he didn't come back...if his father had another child after abandoning mizusawa that means the child will only be 19 or 20 right? whereas kyoko is 22,,,so that means they can't possibly be related....i hope i am making some sense here... 8)

anyway, i am quite sure they are not related...somehow the plot would not fit into the whole drama...remember this is a remake of the korean hotelier drama and there's no such plot there...keeping my fingers crossed :roll

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 25th, '07, 21:17

XD See what a good kid I am, waited for it to become "the next day" (at least here, in Bucharest :P ) before I came back with my latest idea about possible solution to evil cliffy!!

wls2948, my answer to your thoughts is in here too: kindly please use a spoiler tag when you're posting, as well! Who knows what innocent people are stumbling upon the thread - we wouldn't want to spoil the fun for them, would we? :-)
First of all, I must say maths is not my strong point at all :roll so please forgive any blatant silliness! But, if I understand you correctly, what you're saying is based on the assumption that the father Mizusawa accompanied to the States was his biological father, who afterwards abandoned him and maybe had another child... presumably Kyoko, but actually not her, 'cause she's too old for that.

Did I get it right? But if indeed he went to the States with his "father", as a teenager (I think your maths is spot on here, he must have been 15 at the time) it must have been an adoptive father, because he talks of having been abandoned as a young child. And the flashback scenes at the park do show him as a young child, looking very sad and abandoned to me! :cry:

So what I think is this (again, hoping that all the "boku no imouto" is a big misunderstanding and will prove not to be true after all!!!): Mizusawa is the biological child of the Odagiri family, who abandoned him when he was at the most 6 or 7 years old (maybe because they were very poor?). Later on, a Mizusawa-san adopts him, and finally takes him to the States. The Odagiris, doing better now, and regretting having given up their child, end up by adopting another child, a little girl - Kyoko. That would fit in with the "You found out they weren't your real parents" scene. Mizusawa now finds out that his real parents, the Odagiris, had another child, Kyoko, and that scares him out of his wits. But what he doesn't know is that Kyoko was adopted.

How does that sound to you, minna-san?

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 25th, '07, 22:17

Liantasse, good you waited to the next day so we didn't have to drive you off with torches and pitchforks to work on your project. :cheers:

What you suggest pretty much goes along with what I've been thinking too.
Also, I'm thinking that Kyoko may have been adopted by just his mother with a new husband. If Mizusawa wasn't adopted and taken to America until he was around 15, he should definitely have memories of his family name originally being Odagiri, which doesn't match with his reaction to the name Odagiri in the documents. So I'm think that his parents split, and his mother remarried Mr. Odagiri and adopted Kyoko later. It makes more sense as to why he was suspicious and nervous only after seeing the name Odagiri in the documents. And why he wouldn't consider it to be a normal name for him to find there.

So I'm thinking he believes Kyoko to be his half-sister, technically. But from the line about her finding out they weren't her real parents, I think she'll turn out not to be related to him at all.

Part of my hunch also comes from the conversation with Mizusawa in episode 3. If they were trying to foreshadow Kyoko really being his sister and the Odagiri family only adopting her later, she should have told him then that she was adopted so this document could confirm his worst fears. The set up seems to be the opposite since she didn't tell him about her parents not being her blood relations, so that information can be revealed later to resolve the crisis.

I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts.

booklovers

5 more days for the ep 7

Post by booklovers » May 27th, '07, 12:14

I must say that I have to log in for this comment
OMG! very very bad cliffy. hmm, actually , my thought is the same as Liantasse. He must be abandoned in that park in his young age. Then he was adopted by the father who brought him to America. So, he don't know anything about his real parents after that and therefore, he's surprised that His parents had another child.

norain

Post by norain » May 29th, '07, 01:36

havent seen epi6 yet but woah just read some of the spoilers here O_o that twist sure is different from the k-version and yet i like it.. interesting... (which in the end better be just a huge misunderstanding).

nways my fav scene so far was the end of epi4 :wub:
the hug from behind was used numerous times in dramas but this is the first time i was truly touch, very sweet^^ (since i highly doubt there'll be kissing scene in this j-version so hugging's fine )

khmai_kandi22

Post by khmai_kandi22 » May 29th, '07, 07:18

OMG, I just barely watched Episode 6 and man what a major BOMB! I nearly collapse at the end. :lol
Kyoko is his half-sister! :O
But I actually got relieved by reading everyone's post saying that
they might not be related

Now I can't wait for Episode 7 and how they are going to wrap everything up to the final episode. Such a thriller!

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 29th, '07, 16:21

Well, now that we have the subs I can finally comment more on the latest episode. (And it's not about THE TWIST even!)
While he is kinda immature, Yosuke earned some major love points from me in this episode. It was really nice to see him going to bat for Akane and expressing his faith in her to his mother. While Ogata has done that for Kyoko before, I don't remember him doing such for Akane so far. Yosuke does have a good heart, and he acts from it instead of bottling it all away. So he seems like he could become quite a good man in the future, if he could only apply himself to the task.

I can understand Akane's wariness of money and connections because of the example set by her father, but she seems to have no qualms about seeking help and shelter from people who she believes are not rich. For example, when she sought out Ogata after running away. She was still using a connection to get what she wanted. So unless we see Akane actively pursuing a course of her own without connections, her part of that conversation won't ring true to me. It would have been more natural sounding if she had rejected his help simply because she wanted Ogata's help instead.

I suppose it'll all depend on what else they have planned next though.
I've started getting the Kdrama, since clubbox will take about a million years to complete all 20 episodes. *chuckle* So far I have seen the first 3 episodes for comparision. All together they cover about the events of episode 1 in the Jdrama. I won't give any spoilers on the differences or anything. I have to say that I'd have one heck of a hard time choosing between Shin Dong Hyuk and Mizusawa Keigo though. They both are pure win! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » May 29th, '07, 22:42

Oh, yes, Ryoko-chan, you are right about Yosuke! :wub: I am really curious how things will work out: it seems we have two love triangles, with Ogata as a common point between them :lol Will he be the one left out in the end?! :roll

I just loved the part about the Murakami couple!! :wub: They were sooo cute! That was wonderful acting from the two actors: their surprise and childlike happiness at the wedding-anniversary ceremony made me smile through tears all the time!! XD

It's great how they are getting help from people like this couple and the client Ogata saved nearer the beginning! :-) It's like a perfect illustration to a Romanian proverb: "Bine faci, bine găseşti" ("Do good, and you will find good")! XD

About "the twist", Ryoko-chan, you were so right: Mizusawa's mom married Mr Odagiri. It's so sad, though, for him to find out that both his parents had died... :cry: Not to speak about the evil crazy "something else" that he found out!! :crazy: But by now I'm quite sure it'll be like we worked it out :-) Please God let it be so! :pray: :lol

Who else loves Komoto Masahiro as Kikuchi?! He's sooo good! :D I particularly love the way he rolls his eyes and leaves the scene whenever he feels Mizusawa's about to display some more of his affections towards Kyoko!! XD

Oh, and grrrrr that bad, bad Iwama :x I just hate him and that Goto woman! Contrarywise, Ueda-sempai totally won me over in this episode!! She has hidden talents! :wub: Never expected her to know how to play the organ! :lol

Ah, and Ms Morimoto's-Right-Hand? Or should I say Guardian Dragon? I think Morimoto's just lost her, with that horrible, horrible slap. :glare: Say bye-bye, Morimoto, you've now got a fearsome enemy right by your side!!! At least, I hope he does! :roll :P

All in all, I have no idea how I'll be able to wait for the next episode! I held out so long for this one in hopes I might watch it with my own imouto tonight :-) but she can come over only on Friday... That only means I'll watch it again then! :-)
Shin Dong Hyuk and Mizusawa Keigo?! Let's hope never ever in our whole lives we won't have to choose between the likes of them!!! XD At least I do! Send over just one of them, oh heavens! :lol :lol :lol