[Discussion] LIAR GAME (All Seasons)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » May 17th, '07, 19:50

Qualian wrote: Does someone know where I can download OSTs of LIAR GAME? Please let me know! :D
No :lol

OST will be in stores May 23.

orichan

Post by orichan » May 17th, '07, 20:16

yck wrote:
Sigh...the writers dumbed down the plot...again. Another totally unnecessary scene (in the manga, Akiyama's actions are much more logical). If he'd already known the identity of X and his strategy as suggested at the end, then he would have known even before the voting began that he had to always vote the same way as X in order to have a chance to win. In ep. 5, there's an even dumber addition which makes me wonder about the writers'/director's math proficiency.
Also, ep. 5 is starting to drag, which doesn't bode well for a satisfying original ending. :-(
Sorry... but I seriously don't get what you mean.
Even in the manga Akiyama suspected the real X becuase of the check thing. He also suspected different teams becuase of how calm everyone was. He didn't think sunglasses person is X because sunglasses draws attention and not takes them away.

In that sense the manga and the drama is exactly the same.

The only difference is the whole transexual part. Which I don't think it's that big of a deal since transexuality does not make the plot any smarter, in my opinion.

In the manga Akiyama suspected the real X to begin with and he suspect the game would go into the worst case scenario. That's why he made Nao switch vote with him in the "S and M" question. Given he gave a more logical reason to switch votes, but even then I wouldn't really call dumbing down the plot, just playing up the "S and M" joke.

As for episode 5. Honestly... it went almost exactly like the manga. You may not like the actors, you may not like the way it's presented but plot wise it's pretty much the same.

I am actually glad they are probably not going to do the game in the manga right now. I find that game pretty boring so far. :glare:
To all of you manga readers who think Matsuda is bad for the role... This is what 甲斐谷先生 (the guy who drew/wrote the manga) said about this subject in an interview: 戸田さんも松田さんもまさにイメージ通りですね。特に松田さんは座る仕草まで秋山っぽかったのには驚きました。思わず本人に向かって“秋山っぽいですね”と言ってしまいました(笑)

Translation: Both Toda and Matsuda are very in character. Especially Matsuda, he (even) mastered the way Akiyama sits. I couldn't help but call Matsuda "Akiyama" (laugh). :whistling:

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » May 17th, '07, 21:27

Concerning the OST I've readed somewhere that it will be out this 23th..

yck

Post by yck » May 17th, '07, 21:31

orichan wrote:Sorry... but I seriously don't get what you mean.
Even in the manga Akiyama suspected the real X becuase of the check thing. He also suspected different teams becuase of how calm everyone was. He didn't think sunglasses person is X because sunglasses draws attention and not takes them away.

In that sense the manga and the drama is exactly the same.

The only difference is the whole transexual part. Which I don't think it's that big of a deal since transexuality does not make the plot any smarter, in my opinion.

In the manga Akiyama suspected the real X to begin with and he suspect the game would go into the worst case scenario. That's why he made Nao switch vote with him in the "S and M" question. Given he gave a more logical reason to switch votes, but even then I wouldn't really call dumbing down the plot, just playing up the "S and M" joke.

As for episode 5. Honestly... it went almost exactly like the manga. You may not like the actors, you may not like the way it's presented but plot wise it's pretty much the same.

I am actually glad they are probably not going to do the game in the manga right now. I find that game pretty boring so far. :glare:
I wasn't going to make another post in this forum so this will be my last. To answer your question, in the manga, Akiyama didn't switch votes; he actually specified how everyone in his group should vote. Since he already knew how to vote based on the identity of X and his strategy, my point is there's no logical reason to have to switch votes w/ Nao. In ep. 5, when there're 2 YES votes on the board, contrary to his prior behavior there's no reason for X to panic (in the manga, #11 was the only one who panicked) because if he thought #15 is going to vote NO, then it didn't matter how Akiyama voted; they would either draw or if Akiyama was to vote YES then they'd have won. In the drama, X even breathed a sigh of relief after Akiyama's vote was reviewed, and this is just plain dumb.

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » May 17th, '07, 22:56

*shrug* I guess unlike most everyone else, I thought episode 5 was picking up. Or, it was in that they either didn't have as much "explanation time" as previously...or I could have just not noticed it. Which would be fine with me.

I hope that the next ep doesn't just focus on Nao. It would be more interesting for them to switch between the two main characters.

kiwigloomy

Post by kiwigloomy » May 18th, '07, 03:24

orichan wrote:
Really?? I find the resurrection game and the 3rd game to be very interesting...
The other two was a bit boring... So, the drama just got interesting now...
But, im glad they're not gonna do that game in manga right now as well...
I mean, why spoil the whole manga? If you like the story, go read the manga, its better too...
The drama is for watching Erika & how the scriptwriter change the story

orichan

Post by orichan » May 18th, '07, 14:35

kiwigloomy wrote:Really?? I find the resurrection game and the 3rd game to be very interesting...
The other two was a bit boring... So, the drama just got interesting now...
But, im glad they're not gonna do that game in manga right now as well...
I mean, why spoil the whole manga? If you like the story, go read the manga, its better too...
The drama is for watching Erika & how the scriptwriter change the story
[/spoiler]
well we haven't really got to the whole Akiyama's brilliant plan yet... So maybe it will get a lot better toward the end and I will totally change my mind.
I agree about resurrection game though. That game is very cool.

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » May 19th, '07, 04:00

wow the resurrection game is cool? man i cant wait to see ep 6 then :)
how many vols does the manga have? i only saw 1 on the irc channel i went to. I'd like to check out the manga as well cuz this drama is so cool :D
i watched all 5 eps today and it was just love :wub:
Even tho i dont like erika much, I thougth she was okay in this series.
And shota, despite what some ppl said abou this acting, I thought he did a really good job. His acting has improved a lot and compared to other japanese actors at his age, he's really very good.
It's funny how some people can diss shota's acting in this one while praising those f3 guys like crazy in hyd. I thought the acting in hyd was just horrible horrible. Ever since I watched hyd, i thought the only one who looked like a real rich guy in those f4 was shota.
Anyway when is the new ep coming out? Bah i should really go back to studying for my finals lol

orichan

Post by orichan » May 19th, '07, 05:48

While I was subbing... I realized something interesting.

Akiyama actually got more out of game 2 than the other players.

Even after all those deductions... Akiyama still had 131,250,000 yen left of his prize money if I did not calculate anything wrong.

Then, he got the 100 000 000 check (since it can be cashed out by Mushroom-head I assume it can be cashed out by Akiyama also).

So in total, Akiyama won 231,250,000 yen! :cheers:

sunmoon wrote:how many vols does the manga have? i only saw 1 on the irc channel i went to. I'd like to check out the manga as well cuz this drama is so cool :D
i watched all 5 eps today and it was just love :wub:
Anyway when is the new ep coming out? Bah i should really go back to studying for my finals lol
There are 3 manga out right now. Materials for the 4th book is being published in Young Jump, but the 4th manga is not out yet.

The next episode is coming out at 11pm ish in Japan on Sat. =)

belleza

Post by belleza » May 19th, '07, 06:46

Translation: Both Toda and Matsuda are very in character. Especially Matsuda, he (even) mastered the way Akiyama sits. I couldn't help but call Matsuda "Akiyama" (laugh).
Matsuda is just deliciously bad-ass in this role. In order to convey the cool, most actors his age preen, pose, and pucker like they're fronting a fashion spread (I'm looking at you Yamapi! :D ) Matsuda, on the other hand, leans forward and uncomfortably ionto your comfort space. With that tight grin, he reveals just how nasty Akiyami can be.

There's something about carrying the Matsuda name-- like his dad and brother, Shota walks like a worldly man who's already seen everything and met everybody. Which is to say, he really walks like a man. In any case, he brings a casual but authentic credibility to Akiyama, brows annoyed by silly peers and speech smooth but biting. He's born to play a role in a hard-boiled police or yakuza drama.

Episode 5 was terrific. Sure, about 75% involved four characters talking amongst themselves in the same room. I felt like I was watching a stage play. But, then I realized Liar Game is kinda like late night poker with psychedelic colours (lime-green fog? wtf?) and banging electro/nu-breaks and hot men and women wearing tight pants. That's awesome!
Loved the double cross with him and Ms. Sunglasses. But now I wonder whether that night he was shirtless was . . .ugh . . . you know . . .

Is it just me, or did Nao just get royally, royally conned? I mean, don't you guys think the end game will involve pitting Akiyama vs. Nao, so either Akiyama keeps money and ruins Nao-chan's life, or Nao keeps money (just enough to have no debt), and Akiyama is now owned by Mr. Saw Guy and Leather Mullet Woman.
Anyhoo . . . I think the opening sequence to Liar Game is one of my all-time favorites. It's so simple, but deliciously sexy. I'm just hoping someone out there will be inspired to make live-action poker this cool. Never has throbbing dance music and jump cuts been used to make people standing around and talk look so dang exciting.

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » May 19th, '07, 16:21

I fell a little behind because of company, but here's your preview of Ep 06 to whet your appetites.

Enjoy

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NJMRV672

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 20th, '07, 02:32

belleza wrote: Episode 5 was terrific. Sure, about 75% involved four characters talking amongst themselves in the same room. I felt like I was watching a stage play. But, then I realized Liar Game is kinda like late night poker with psychedelic colours (lime-green fog? wtf?) and banging electro/nu-breaks and hot men and women wearing tight pants. That's awesome!
Loved the double cross with him and Ms. Sunglasses. But now I wonder whether that night he was shirtless was . . .ugh . . . you know . . .

Is it just me, or did Nao just get royally, royally conned? I mean, don't you guys think the end game will involve pitting Akiyama vs. Nao, so either Akiyama keeps money and ruins Nao-chan's life, or Nao keeps money (just enough to have no debt), and Akiyama is now owned by Mr. Saw Guy and Leather Mullet Woman.
Anyhoo . . . I think the opening sequence to Liar Game is one of my all-time favorites. It's so simple, but deliciously sexy. I'm just hoping someone out there will be inspired to make live-action poker this cool. Never has throbbing dance music and jump cuts been used to make people standing around and talk look so dang exciting.

I have to say I've been thinking these very three things that you bring up. (although I'm still not loving the show enough to call it "terrific" - but that's just my preference).

But I totally get the stage play feeling with this.
And boy was Nao conned. I just think Akiyama would have been happier gambling with his own life, but now he will have to worry all about Nao again. But I guess this means there wont be a love story in this show - not that I think it suited anyway, Nao is like a little dog and Akiyama the dog owner - anyway, now Nao is just like his mum. eeew!!

But I do hope the final stand off will be between Akiyama and Nao, it will be interesting to see how something like that pans out.
The opening sequence, I just love it! I don't know, it just some how works.

orichan

Post by orichan » May 20th, '07, 02:54

Well... people get closer through extrodinary situations/adventures.

If Nao doesn't get conned she would never have a chance to get close to Akiyama.

I wouldn't really call their relationship the relationship between a dog owner and a dog. You are not supposed to see your beloved mother in a dog... lol. In any case, Akiyama probably views saving Nao as a second chance for him to redeem himself after not being able to save... you get the idea.

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 20th, '07, 04:08

orichan wrote:Well... people get closer through extrodinary situations/adventures.

If Nao doesn't get conned she would never have a chance to get close to Akiyama.

I wouldn't really call their relationship the relationship between a dog owner and a dog. You are not supposed to see your beloved mother in a dog... lol. In any case, Akiyama probably views saving Nao as a second chance for him to redeem himself after not being able to save... you get the idea.
I meant before I saw Nao as kind of like a dog to Akiyama in that she is soooo helpless and needs someone to look after her (not that dogs are helpless but you get the analogy). (And not that you see your mother as a dog!)

But
now we have learnt that Akiyama compares Nao to his mother, so it's even less likely that there will be a romantic interest. I know people who remind me of my father and believe me there is no romantic interest there!!!

shosef

Post by shosef » May 20th, '07, 04:23

@ GoddessCarlie
well studies show that men usually look for a partner that more or less like their mother...so you can't really completely discount the love story between Akiyama and Nao...though i hope this won't come true...well maybe until after Nao becomes wiser...

The Artist

Post by The Artist » May 20th, '07, 04:34

Hello everybody, I have been lurking for awhile and decide to comment on this great drama for once. So far the first 5 episodes have been roller coaster with non-stop suspense. I am wondering if Nao character is going to change thru all this. She has been the most honest person so far, but now that she decides to take on the game to save Akiyama its going to be interesting how she copes with the bad guys on her own.

Also Akiyama has owned the show so far, the actor does a great job portraying the cold yet kind hearted guy that is Akiyama. Now I can forsee Akiyama going against Nao in the end but this whole thing is set up so so screwed you can't really put a definite on any speculation. Ep 6 should provide a major turning point in the story things are going to get even more interesting.

orichan

Post by orichan » May 20th, '07, 05:50

shosef wrote:@ GoddessCarlie
well studies show that men usually look for a partner that more or less like their mother...so you can't really completely discount the love story between Akiyama and Nao...though i hope this won't come true...well maybe until after Nao becomes wiser...
Especially if they like their mother very much.

Possible spoilerish things for ep 7:
There may be a half-hug scene in episode 7... if they follow the manga. :cheers:

Nao finally... ?!!!!... in ep 7.

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 20th, '07, 07:58

shosef wrote:@ GoddessCarlie
Ha, yes, I can believe that. I'm thinking of a greek stereotype where they all are mummy's boys. lol. Still there is a difference between unintentionally falling in love with someone similar to their mothers than actually being reminded of you mother. But... Yeah, I would want Nao to get a clue before any romance happens. Akiyama is way too savy for Nao.

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 20th, '07, 08:05

The Artist wrote:Hello everybody, I have been lurking for awhile and decide to comment on this great drama for once. So far the first 5 episodes have been roller coaster with non-stop suspense. I am wondering if Nao character is going to change thru all this. She has been the most honest person so far, but now that she decides to take on the game to save Akiyama its going to be interesting how she copes with the bad guys on her own.

Also Akiyama has owned the show so far, the actor does a great job portraying the cold yet kind hearted guy that is Akiyama. Now I can forsee Akiyama going against Nao in the end but this whole thing is set up so so screwed you can't really put a definite on any speculation. Ep 6 should provide a major turning point in the story things are going to get even more interesting.
I'm hoping the opposite - that Nao will turn on Akiyama. :)

The Artist

Post by The Artist » May 20th, '07, 08:52

GoddessCarlie wrote: I'm hoping the opposite - that Nao will turn on Akiyama. :)
That's very possible with the whole new theme that she is going to save him , it might turn out that she will have to go against him to do so. Though that will also means means she will start to become dishonest deceitful person. Maybe she will start using her "Too Honest" weakness to deceive people. In anyway this is going to be very interesting.

vis

Post by vis » May 20th, '07, 19:04

LOL! That'd be wicked.

I'm hoping for that half-hug in ep7 :cheers:

Well I've always liked a little romance in a series :) But yeah, Nao ought to get wiser first or poor Akiyama will have his hands full~ I don't think she's gonna pull it off though, despite her good intention :S People don't change that easily.

Someone talked about an original ending, is the manga complete already? Anyway I hope the ending won't be as predictable as in Death Note (the fate of the main character that is)...

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » May 21st, '07, 04:05

yck wrote:
greenjade05 wrote:I just had to stop in and say how much I love this drama and the SM part cracked me up!
Did anyone else notice that in ep. 4 that during the SM part, at 3:33 right before Akiyama told Nao that she should vote "No", that when Akiyama looked up from the ground, there was a quick flash of the "yes"/"no" board with the outcome of more "no" votes than "yes"? I had to watch that part a few times to make sure I got it because it went by super fast.

http://piccysnap.com/e/412183835/PICCYS ... _680_c.jpg

I figured out now that if Akiyama hadn't told Nao to switch then it would be Nao dealing with "X", 15 and that other dude. There is no way that Nao would have figured out that Mr. Mushroom was "X" and chances are she would lose in the next round. Plus Akiyama had to win in order to stop "X" from being the overall winner.
Sigh...the writers dumbed down the plot...again. Another totally unnecessary scene (in the manga, Akiyama's actions are much more logical). If he'd already known the identity of X and his strategy as suggested at the end, then he would have known even before the voting began that he had to always vote the same way as X in order to have a chance to win. In ep. 5, there's an even dumber addition which makes me wonder about the writers'/director's math proficiency.
Also, ep. 5 is starting to drag, which doesn't bode well for a satisfying original ending. :-(

where did you download the manga? the show was interesting so far, but i just couldn't imagine what the ending could possibly be... :crazy: is the manga version already finished?

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 21st, '07, 04:27

any Nao haters here?? coz i am :)

gemtsoi

Post by gemtsoi » May 21st, '07, 04:52

I wouldn't say I'm a Nao hater but I do dislike her. In nearly every episode she has me screaming "Stupid! Stupid!"

I actually find Liar Game more painstaking than suspenseful. In fact, it hasn't created any suspense so far, just a lot of long-drawn out, brain-numbing explanations, weird, over the top characters, bad acting by the co-actors, and overwhelming camera angles/editing tricks. The only thing keeping me in the game is Akiyama's coolness and my loyalty to Toda Erika.

Ep.5 was only 36 minutes long and yet it felt SO long-winded! I was watching the progress bar and almost groaning because it wasn't ending yet... I was practically gripped with horror that Nao would turn all goody-goody and foolishly kind when she started sympathizing with the other losers.

...she reminds me of Ziwei in HZGG XD

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 21st, '07, 05:15

Ha! gemtsoi: I had that same fear - "Oh no, she's not going to give away her share is she???"

Isn't it strange that someone so nice and kind and honest, is so irritating to watch. This is why, my friends, you must never write a story with a "flawless" heroine! If she doesn't change by the end of this show, I think I may have to delete the show and empty the recycling bin (the closest I can get to throwing the show across the room).

(funny thing is, on my site, I have a poll going for favourite show and liar game is winning... Another funny thing, I keep watching... but I know it's only for akiyama.)

Billion

Post by Billion » May 21st, '07, 05:21

Nao is totally annoying. Seriously, how is managing to survive? She's supposed to be a college student but I don't see how she managed to pass her entrance exam -__- But who knows maybe lack of common sense doesn't mean lack of book smarts.

Which brings me to another point: if she's a college student how come she never goes to school? Or if she's not, shouldn't she have a job or something to pay the house rent and pay hospital bills for her father?

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » May 21st, '07, 13:13

GoddessCarlie wrote:Ha! gemtsoi: I had that same fear - "Oh no, she's not going to give away her share is she???"

Isn't it strange that someone so nice and kind and honest, is so irritating to watch. This is why, my friends, you must never write a story with a "flawless" heroine! If she doesn't change by the end of this show, I think I may have to delete the show and empty the recycling bin (the closest I can get to throwing the show across the room).

(funny thing is, on my site, I have a poll going for favourite show and liar game is winning... Another funny thing, I keep watching... but I know it's only for akiyama.)
hey... can i copy that poll site of yours to show my friends in another forum? im also curious of the outcome. lolz... i voted for liar game, not coz of nao or shota... its the whole story that made me interested... :)

greenjade05

Post by greenjade05 » May 21st, '07, 17:21

Maybe I'm odd, but as much as I think Nao is stupid I can't seem to hate her. In fact it's that mushroom dude that I hate. Everytime I see him I think "yeah, yeah, we know you want to be the ultimate winner and all that jazz..can you get off the screen now?"

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » May 21st, '07, 19:28

Nao's extreme stupidity is actually an essential ingredient to keeping the plot interesting. Without her, Akiyama would be the invulnerable superfraud. In other words, Nao is the living and breathing equivalent of kryptonite - the source of Akiyama's weakness, a constant pain in his butt.

Tatsuri

Post by Tatsuri » May 21st, '07, 21:44

After watching episode 6 my whole view has changed about this drama. It's getting better and better but as it gets better, Nao gets stupider.
I am against the whole romance thing betweem Akiyama and Nao until she wises up but I couldn't help but scream "YES" when they show him rush off once he got that phone call. It was only obvious where he was running to.

The person who started this game is really really smart. They knew to start it when Akiyama was getting released from prison. They knew to get Nao as one of the players. They set it up so that Nao would go ask Akiyama for help once the officer told her about him. They knew he would eventually agree because he sees his mother in her. It's the perfect plan. To draw him in through someone else. Its sad though how Nao has to suffer over it.

She's an complete idiot, but I wonder what plan Akiyama is going to use to save her this time. I'm going to rack my brain for the next week, or until episode 7 and the subs come out, trying to think of some plan.
I want to go get the manga now.

lightsoul

Post by lightsoul » May 21st, '07, 22:13

Argh..episode 6 makes me want to watch epi 7 badly..
No..why there's only like 3 minutes of Matsuda??? I wonder why he's running like that. Must be that officer of Liar Game told him something about Nao-chan. And somebody has to kill that mushroom guy already. He pissed me a lot

Tatsuri

Post by Tatsuri » May 21st, '07, 22:19

lightsoul wrote:Argh..episode 6 makes me want to watch epi 7 badly..
No..why there's only like 3 minutes of Matsuda??? I wonder why he's running like that. Must be that officer of Liar Game told him something about Nao-chan. And somebody has to kill that mushroom guy already. He pissed me a lot
I didn't like the lack of Shota as well. It made the show seem so long because you barely saw him. The mushroom guy is ssoooo annoying. What Ireally want is for Nao to become smart on her own and defeat him. But thats not likely to happen.

Annj

Post by Annj » May 21st, '07, 22:38

After hearing the cop tell Shota that his revenge was ineffective, I thought the game was definately made to a game one on one with the creator and Shota. It is possible that the creator was a minion in the company using it as a means to torment others as a form of entertainment, a bit like a sports league owner. Maybe the creator was like Nao and had specially chosen her to be paired with Shota so that she will help him live a life without seeking revenge and Shota show Nao how to be realistic about others. Which leads me to think of whom might be the creator of the game...the cop, the lady representive, Nao's father, Shota's mother's nurse, a player in the game, or someone we haven't met. It's usually some far relations that we didn't see coming.
I love this series and as you can see I usually start thinking about wierd connections and the overall game after I finish watching an episode. I really wonder how they are going to end this if that and how the manga writer intend to develop the characters beyond just the Liar Game. I really wish I could buy the mangas and read them in english...Ok I'm done rambling.....

stinkypants

liarg game ep 6

Post by stinkypants » May 21st, '07, 22:50

i think he got a call from the vote counting chick
i wonder if they thought of buying votes from the lgs
if she were to use her m tickets to buy from lgs all the votes cast for mushroom head and 2 of the votes cast for everyone else for the rest of the game she would win in the 4th vote and no one would catch her and shroom brain would be out 200 million

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 22nd, '07, 01:21

I wish she could get some smarts all on her own too
However if I was mushroom head guy, I would want Nao in the game. He's thinking short term "I gotta get me in the game". What he should be thinking of is the last round - he should try and illiminate the smartest people first so the game gets easier and easier. I guess he thinks he's the smartest person there so it doesn't matter. But if I was him I'd have Nao there as my little lap dog - you know she'd be loyal to the end.

Tatsuri

Post by Tatsuri » May 22nd, '07, 01:30

GoddessCarlie wrote:I wish she could get some smarts all on her own too
However if I was mushroom head guy, I would want Nao in the game. He's thinking short term "I gotta get me in the game". What he should be thinking of is the last round - he should try and illiminate the smartest people first so the game gets easier and easier. I guess he thinks he's the smartest person there so it doesn't matter. But if I was him I'd have Nao there as my little lap dog - you know she'd be loyal to the end.
That's so true. You would remain loyal until the end and she wouldn't try to trick anyone. She's not smart enough anyway to trick someone.
But mushroom head is no dummy. He's smart. He maybe thinking that if Nao does succeed then Akiyama may become more involved and very serious because he has to pretect Nao again. he never thought that Akiyama would appear to protect Nao.

I wonder who it was that called and informed him. Was it the LGT lady or someone else. I'm starting to feel really bad for Nao and not just ebcause she's slow. Mainly because she was only dragged into the game so they can lure Akiyama in. Now she has to play and if she loses she will face a debt. That will be real hard seeing as how her dad is inthe hospital.
But if I had someone like Akiyama always helping me, I might play dumb too. XD. Maybe.

orichan

Post by orichan » May 22nd, '07, 01:45

He can't do that. Because in the next round Akiyama would be there again. Nao would definately listens to Akiyama more.
If it's not for Nao's existance.... mushroom head would definately not survive this round. He needed a sacrifice, and Nao is the easiest to manipulate (esp since everyone else would never forgive him). In any case, he knows the smartest person in the game (Akiyama) is not IN this game.
I think most of us will be happy when we see the next episode because
Nao finally does something useful....

In fact... We will only need to see half an episode more of total Nao ownage... probably. In the manga, episode 7 material is kind of like a turning point for her character. After that, she stopped making me so angry.
I agree with everyone about Mushroom head. He is a very hatable character, whether his drama self or the manga counterpart. (I remember feeling the urge to slash my monitor up back when the material in episode 6 first appear in manga early last year).

Though seriously, I think I have more reason to hate him than anyone else here. I had to listen to his annoying laughter repeatedly (like 10 times and up) while I sub. :goggle: I almost went mad.

And before another person asks again: The manga is not avaliable in English. If you want to read it. Go buy the Japan or Hong Kong version from comic book stores or yesasia or something.

Tatsuri

Post by Tatsuri » May 22nd, '07, 01:55

orichan wrote:
He can't do that. Because in the next round Akiyama would be there again. Nao would definately listens to Akiyama more.
If it's not for Nao's existance.... mushroom head would definately not survive this round. He needed a sacrifice, and Nao is the easiest to manipulate (esp since everyone else would never forgive him). In any case, he knows the smartest person in the game (Akiyama) is not IN this game.
I think most of us will be happy when we see the next episode because
Nao finally does something useful....

In fact... We will only need to see half an episode more of total Nao ownage... probably. In the manga, episode 7 material is kind of like a turning point for her character. After that, she stopped making me so angry.
I agree with everyone about Mushroom head. He is a very hatable character, whether his drama self or the manga counterpart. (I remember feeling the urge to slash my monitor up back when the material in episode 6 first appear in manga early last year).

Though seriously, I think I have more reason to hate him than anyone else here. I had to listen to his annoying laughter repeatedly (like 10 times and up) while I sub. :goggle: I almost went mad.

And before another person asks again: The manga is not avaliable in English. If you want to read it. Go buy the Japan or Hong Kong version from comic book stores or yesasia or something.
lol. You do have a reason to hate him more. That laugh is nerve recking.

greenjade05

Post by greenjade05 » May 22nd, '07, 01:57

To be honest my one gripe with Nao is that she is quick to jump to a conclusion. Like when that old teacher tricked her out of her money, she thought there was no way to get that money back. Of course anyone would feel burdened if that happened, but wouldn't you try to do something about it right away? Didn't the LGT say that you could use any means to get your opponet's money? Even if you trust a person...when it comes to huge sums of money, there's nothing wrong with being cautious right?

Then there was round two and that question #17 posed: "Are you a woman?" There's the fact that there were only 9 girls and 13 men. She was quick think that right away ladies would win because they were the minority, but didn't see that yes the guys have noticed the same thing. Also that the other women could guess that the men knew this and chances is are, some of them would vote "yes". With that said, it was probably better for them to vote "no."

Money can change people and Nao must wise up and take a good look at her current situation. While she's at it, she oughta whack that mushroom dude in his face with her bag because he plainly derserves it for beging such a jerk.

What's with the small about of Akiyama in ep. 6?? I think it was that secreteriat woman who called him. From the way she talked when Akiyama got the 2.1 bil, did they have some sort of relation in the past? Why was she looking at him and Nao from the windowright before they got into that car leaving that mansion? Does anyone else feel a bit odd looking at that puppet guy, Leronira talk?

Excuse me for my blabbering of nonsense!

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » May 22nd, '07, 02:05

gemtsoi wrote: I actually find Liar Game more painstaking than suspenseful. In fact, it hasn't created any suspense so far, just a lot of long-drawn out, brain-numbing explanations, weird, over the top characters, bad acting by the co-actors, and overwhelming camera angles/editing tricks. The only thing keeping me in the game is Akiyama's coolness and my loyalty to Toda Erika.

Ep.5 was only 36 minutes long and yet it felt SO long-winded! I was watching the progress bar and almost groaning because it wasn't ending yet... I was practically gripped with horror that Nao would turn all goody-goody and foolishly kind when she started sympathizing with the other losers.
Oh God, I will be honest like Nao and say that people like you, and posts like this post you made, annoy the hell out of me. :crazy:
Painstaking? Oh please, this drama is going at a very fast rate compared to MOST if not all japanese dramas out there (except the ancient ones - i dont watch those). I can't possibly see how one could say this is so long and boring. Yes there's some explanation here and there. But oh for the sake of people who are not as "smart" as you, can you please just let them explain the tricks as how they are doing it now? Because I don't think it's too long or too repetitive. In fact, even though I could guess how the plan is going, I still enjoy very much all the explanation because the acting is pretty funny (mushroom guy).
So yes please "the few people" who complain they "can guess almost everything that is going on", or "the explanation is so long omg i can't stand it i just wish it'd end already", do us a favor and stop watchin the show, or stop showing off in here because you are just simply very annoying.
There's a reason why a lot of people vote for this show as their favorite, so if u really wish it'd end already while watching it, then turn off ur computer and do something else that makes u more happy :glare:

Anyway I am officially a Nao hater after this ep. :cry: She's just so...I would smack her face if I were there lol :pale:
But I'm thinkin of a plan that 'd make her the controller of the game like the guy said...hmm...(or maybe those "smart" people who think they can guess everything that happens in this movie can enlighten me with some ideas?)

And to the person who said she could buy votes from people, well I don't think that'd work. All the other competitors already made a contract with each other that they'd vote for a certain person (they wrote it on the M ticket). So if they back out now, they'd be in debt. I believe that guy explained that to her.
Either that or I misread the subs? Please excuse me if I did misinterpret it :d

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 22nd, '07, 02:11

biniBningPunkista wrote:
GoddessCarlie wrote:Ha! gemtsoi: I had that same fear - "Oh no, she's not going to give away her share is she???"

hey... can i copy that poll site of yours to show my friends in another forum? im also curious of the outcome. lolz... i voted for liar game, not coz of nao or shota... its the whole story that made me interested... :)
Hey, it's fine to link it! What's the other forum? (drama related?)

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 22nd, '07, 02:15

orichan wrote:
I thought that after I posted.
Cause it is true that everyone in this round are stupid and pathetic as well, so it doesn't really matter.

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » May 22nd, '07, 04:09

GoddessCarlie wrote: Hey, it's fine to link it! What's the other forum? (drama related?)

oh, nope its not... its a filipino forum.. but the people there watch different types of series... so they know about liar game.

every since i read other people's comments on episode 6, it made me want to wait for episode 7 instead... lolz... im gonna put off watching episode 6 until episode 7 comes up.
:whistling:

Meijin

Post by Meijin » May 22nd, '07, 08:26

Has anyone of you been thinking about how on earth this round can turn around? I mean, the contracts have been made, and now i've become really curious about akiyamas plan in the preview... o.o (Except the manga readers of course, who already know..)

SmiLeeGirl

Post by SmiLeeGirl » May 22nd, '07, 08:51

Just watched 6

So I was thinking that the puppet (who I know everyone says looks like the one is SAW) also looks like the puppet in a movie called "The Game" with Michael Douglas.

Now that I think of it there are some other similarities. For those unfamiliar witht he movie. M/ Douglas's character gets enrolled in this huge game (semi- unwillingly) that is apparently organized by this anonymous company. Apparently he witnesses his father jumping off the roof of their mansion as a child. Scarred from this event MD is apparent financialy successfull but has an inability to connect with people. During his game, mysterious comapny predicts his actions and reactions to events they engineer and manipulate him into facing his childhood tradegy.

Am I the only one that sees the similarities or ahem posible similarities? ... ok maybe only the puppet is similar

Ah whatever.... ;)

Ok in other thoughts...
1) I would like to think I have more brains the Nao but I think if I were in the same situations I would be lost as to how to play to win too.

2) Yep mushroom head is annoying -- lets hope they kill him off and they bring in someone who is still clever but doesn't remind me of The Revenge of The Nerds. Just looking at him irritates me.

3) There definetely needs to be more Shota but I hope they dress him a little better. I kept thinking before that he must be hot wearing that jacket all the time... even indoors... zipped up to his chin...

@ meijin
I am hoping that some random useless thing that Nao brought with her saves the day and gets sold in exchange for the M Ticket/ contract things that mushroom head guy has. I mean it must suck to be foiled by a smart guy but musrhoom head would just die (at least we can hope) if he is bested by Nao.

belleza

Post by belleza » May 22nd, '07, 10:02

@SmiLeeGirl --

See, after the first episode, I had hoped we could get into a Game-esque storyline. Instead, much of it has turned out to be Big Brother starring Mr. Mushroom Head and One Stupid Girl. Yet this show manages to be fun due to giving us purple skies for no apparent reason, banging electro, and The Coolest Character of 2007 J-drama.
Painstaking? Oh please, this drama is going at a very fast rate compared to MOST if not all japanese dramas out there (except the ancient ones - i dont watch those). I can't possibly see how one could say this is so long and boring. Yes there's some explanation here and there. But oh for the sake of people who are not as "smart" as you, can you please just let them explain the tricks as how they are doing it now? Because I don't think it's too long or too repetitive. In fact, even though I could guess how the plan is going, I still enjoy very much all the explanation because the acting is pretty funny (mushroom guy).
Honestly, I think the first half of Episode 6 was the single worst segment of drama I've watched on any show this year. The explanation reminded me of the Itemized Deduction section of the 1040 form that I keep screwing up on year after year, with extra pretty graphics and such. It was numbingly bad, and at some point, my mind started drifting and started wondering whether the Mushroom Guy could be kinda cute if like the director used a yellow filter and made the sky go polka-dot.

First time, I started feeling bad for Toda Erika too. I still don't know if she can act, but for a starring role, there's just nothing here to work with. Maybe Nao gets edgier in the 2nd half of the show.

2nd half of Episode 6 picked up nicely . . . And it looks like Episode 7 is going to be 100% fun. It seems that every other episode I end up liking a lot.

And the 3 minutes of Coolest Character of 2007 J-drama, really lifted up the spirit of the show. Then I realized why I liked Episode 5 so much; Nao-chan had almost no speaking part in that whole thing, whereas Akiyama was allowed to dominate.

I liked the setup for Episode 7. It looks like she had no chance of winning, but we know Akiyama will somehow -- SOMEHOW -- flip the odds.

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » May 22nd, '07, 12:18

The show is going so far so good. If there're some haters of some personnages that means the cast is doing a good job. I really enjoy every second of the movie since I didn't read the manga so I have to keep wondering what will happen up next.. you don't have to be sharp watching the drama, let it entertain you and don't polluate the air !

crimmy

Post by crimmy » May 22nd, '07, 12:33

Man ep 6 was so...disappointing >=( and atleast that Mushroon guy only laughed..I wouldve hated it more if he started screaming like in the 2nd game..>_<

The previews look good too..though how the hell will Akiyama turn it around @_@

auroragb

Post by auroragb » May 22nd, '07, 14:49

belleza wrote:Honestly, I think the first half of Episode 6 was the single worst segment of drama I've watched on any show this year. The explanation reminded me of the Itemized Deduction section of the 1040 form that I keep screwing up on year after year, with extra pretty graphics and such. It was numbingly bad, and at some point, my mind started drifting and started wondering whether the Mushroom Guy could be kinda cute if like the director used a yellow filter and made the sky go polka-dot.
LoL, that's a fantastic metaphor! A lot of the explanations really feel like tax form instructions!
belleza wrote:First time, I started feeling bad for Toda Erika too. I still don't know if she can act, but for a starring role, there's just nothing here to work with. Maybe Nao gets edgier in the 2nd half of the show.
She's still too much of an idol. Few can make the idol to actress transition. You can still see her in pretty poses, but when she moves and emotes, it's not convincing ...

pokpak

Post by pokpak » May 22nd, '07, 17:52

a little relieve that I'm not the only one irritated by nao's honesty.. lol
I like this drama, the plot and akiyama's cuteness ^_^ except only how stupidity nao has, is really irritating me and now I kinda like how nao's been treated now so she would somehow get smarter (oh! I've become an S)

ep7 should be so much to follow..

i'mNOangel

Post by i'mNOangel » May 22nd, '07, 18:41

i don't get why people don't like nao i think that she very cute even if she is stupidly kind and liar game it's like the best drama this spring.and it very exciting to watch and i love the plot.

Tatsuri

Post by Tatsuri » May 22nd, '07, 18:49

Nao being cute has nothing to do with whether people like her or not. She is cute, I will agree but its her stupidity nonetheless that makes people notlike her. Can someone really be that dumb? So honest to the point evetyone can lie and trick her. And what makes it worst is that she doesn't learn from her mistakes. That's why she anoyes me but I like Erika Toda regardless. She does need to shed her idol image though.

fastat3m

Post by fastat3m » May 22nd, '07, 19:21

I think Nao's stupidity/honesty is what makes the drama fun for me to watch. If she wasn't, she wouldn't need any help and the story wouldn't be interesting. Part of the show is Nao learning that in the real world isn't as pure as she thinks it is. If she learned this lesson after a week or two, there wouldn't be a show. The show is about her journy in becoming more aware of the real world. She will eventually learn in the show, but it should be a slow process. Even if you find her annoying, she is the main reason to watch the show, because without her, there would be no show.

Tatsuri

Post by Tatsuri » May 22nd, '07, 19:32

fastat3m wrote:I think Nao's stupidity/honesty is what makes the drama fun for me to watch. If she wasn't, she wouldn't need any help and the story wouldn't be interesting. Part of the show is Nao learning that in the real world isn't as pure as she thinks it is. If she learned this lesson after a week or two, there wouldn't be a show. The show is about her journy in becoming more aware of the real world. She will eventually learn in the show, but it should be a slow process. Even if you find her annoying, she is the main reason to watch the show, because without her, there would be no show.
She is the main reason I watc hthe show. I want to see whats going to happen to her next or if she will wise up. I look forward to seeing that. But I look more forward to Akiyama coming to the rescue.

belleza

Post by belleza » May 23rd, '07, 00:45

She's still too much of an idol. Few can make the idol to actress transition.
Sometimes I think the great tragedy of Toda Erika was that she was born a woman. In an alternate universe, her hair would be laquered into fantastical gravity-defying shapes, her mouth would be on pernament pout, and she would be neither weak nor the queen bee. She's be the perfect, perfectly hammy Johnny Boy. :D

But, seriously, I think she's ill-matched as an idol too. There's kind of an aggressive sincerity about her; she wants to be liked, but she doesn't trust her own charm. She makes it look hard, and sometimes in interviews she doesn't seem quite happy.
The show is about her journy in becoming more aware of the real world.
I'd like to think so, but because the source material is a boy's manga, Nao probably won't amount to much more than a damsel/foil for Akiyama. Like Maki's rather useless character in Kurosagi, Nao just seems like an accessory to cover the emo contigency of His Coolness. And undoubtedly, in the Cool, Shota walks and talks like Pi pouts. :D
Akiyama hands Nao the keys to victory next episode 7. But I just think she'll vote herself out anyways. I can't keep this is the same actress who killed a bunch of random people out of love, all in killer goth lolita! P

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » May 23rd, '07, 01:06

Tatsuri wrote:its her stupidity nonetheless that makes people notlike her. Can someone really be that dumb? So honest to the point evetyone can lie and trick her
yeah, she really got on my nerves in ep 6, get a backbone for god's sakes! Honestly, she's like a deer in headlights in this episode, very annoying...

JKH

Post by JKH » May 23rd, '07, 01:25

On the topic of Nao, what exactly does her character do? I mean, besides participating in the Liar Game, does she have a job/income? Is she a student? Sorry if this has been answered somewhere! I must not have been paying attention...

SummerMemories

Post by SummerMemories » May 23rd, '07, 01:39

chiakisama wrote:
Tatsuri wrote:its her stupidity nonetheless that makes people notlike her. Can someone really be that dumb? So honest to the point evetyone can lie and trick her
yeah, she really got on my nerves in ep 6, get a backbone for god's sakes! Honestly, she's like a deer in headlights in this episode, very annoying...
i kno! i cant stand that crying that seems to always creep in dramas. boo hoo hoo. sorry, just had to vent.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 23rd, '07, 01:45

nao deserves it really.. she is so dumb.. i dont want akiyama to help her..

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » May 23rd, '07, 01:49

I just watched ep 6 and now I know what you guys are talking about! I felt like slapping Nao silly when she pulled her kind act AGAIN. Does she even have time to be worrying about other people when she pretty much had no chance? >_>;

She was still cute and nice, but it's going to start getting on my nerves if she doesn't grow a backbone 8D;

belleza

Post by belleza » May 23rd, '07, 01:52

? I mean, besides participating in the Liar Game, does she have a job/income?
I think the show kinda implied she had trouble getting jobs because she was too honest in job interviews. Too honest to eat either. Sigh Apparently, honesty is how Japanese women keep their size -1 <100lbs figure.

Anyway there was a scene where it looked like she worked part-time at an old folk's home. Actually I think that was the one scene that warmed my heart for this sweet, good hearted idiot. :)

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 23rd, '07, 01:58

JKH wrote:On the topic of Nao, what exactly does her character do? I mean, besides participating in the Liar Game, does she have a job/income? Is she a student? Sorry if this has been answered somewhere! I must not have been paying attention...
I'm not sure that Nao is capable of doing anything.

(but seriously - I have wondered that too - I mean, don't these people have jobs?)

Tatsuri

Post by Tatsuri » May 23rd, '07, 01:58

belleza wrote:
? I mean, besides participating in the Liar Game, does she have a job/income?
I think the show kinda implied she had trouble getting jobs because she was too honest in job interviews. Too honest to eat either. Sigh Apparently, honesty is how Japanese women keep their size -1 <100lbs figure.

Anyway there was a scene where it looked like she worked part-time at an old folk's home. Actually I think that was the one scene that warmed my heart for this sweet, good hearted idiot. :)
Are you talking about the scene when she was pushing a old guy in a wheel chair? If so, that's her dad. Isn't her dad in the hospital. I wonder how she pays from him to stay inthe hospital?

SmiLeeGirl

Post by SmiLeeGirl » May 23rd, '07, 02:51

Hey guys,

Did you have nice LG watching?

@ tatsuri - How do you know the old guy is in the wheelchair is her dad? I don't remember the scene with her pushing a wheelchair or working in a home? Which ep or is it the opener (I kinda skim those).

@ JKH - My guess as to what Nao does...
Well she has a big house or is it just a room in the big house? - and no parents around (well except for maybe wheel chair guy being her dad. I think shes and orphan living off some inheritance... or maybe insurance $.

oooohhhh wouldn't it be interesting if wheelchair person/ nao were somehow connected to Akiyama's mom (hmmm did someone say that already?)

So what could nao do. Seems like if she worked with people they would always use her as a scapegoat and get her fired OR dump their work on her. She would probally have to do something simple away from others. I dunno stuff envelopes at home???

Smi

greenjade05

Post by greenjade05 » May 23rd, '07, 03:14

We'd be so happy if Nao just tells one lie...right?

orichan

Post by orichan » May 23rd, '07, 07:17

SmiLeeGirl wrote:Hey guys,

Did you have nice LG watching?

@ tatsuri - How do you know the old guy is in the wheelchair is her dad? I don't remember the scene with her pushing a wheelchair or working in a home? Which ep or is it the opener (I kinda skim those).
That guy in wheel chair IS Nao's father. The website says so. She also said she needed to take care of her father with terminal cancer in the hospital twice in ep 1.
@ JKH - My guess as to what Nao does...
Well she has a big house or is it just a room in the big house? - and no parents around (well except for maybe wheel chair guy being her dad. I think shes and orphan living off some inheritance... or maybe insurance $.
She lives in a room in that house looking thing. Her mother is probably dead and her father, as I said earlier, is in the hospital. She is not so poor she has to worry about where to get the money for food or rent. But she is not very rich either.

In the manga she had a summer job. That's supposed to show while she is self-efficient, she is not rich.

So what could nao do. Seems like if she worked with people they would always use her as a scapegoat and get her fired OR dump their work on her. She would probally have to do something simple away from others. I dunno stuff envelopes at home???

Smi
This is what they said in the manga on how Nao deals with others:
Apparently Nao doesn't have any close friends because getting close to others, understanding them more, would heighten the chance of her knowing who is lying to her and using her.

So in the end, Nao, because she thinks doubting = bad just never get close enough to anyone.

In other words, in the manga, Akiyama is the first person she tried to get closer to for a very long time.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » May 23rd, '07, 07:33

lets play our own Restructure game..

I vote all 5 for Mushroom guy !! i dont care if Nao loses, because she is just too dumb..

SmiLeeGirl

Post by SmiLeeGirl » May 23rd, '07, 07:43

@ orichan - Thanks for the confirmation and clarification.

@ furransu - I have hope that Nao altough not very bright has MAJOR Karma points accumulated that will pay out.

Talk to you guys later!
Smi

belleza

Post by belleza » May 23rd, '07, 08:04

This is what they said in the manga on how Nao deals with others:
Ahh, see, the scenario you laid out is exactly what could make us emphasize with Nao and give Erika something to chew on. Maybe they'll develop Nao's story more.

i'mNOangel

Post by i'mNOangel » May 23rd, '07, 13:39

omg you guys are soo mean to nao,i have a feeling that you guys are like the character inte drama who hate nao and i think that she'll be "smarter" as the drama developed.

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » May 23rd, '07, 13:49

^lol what.

Well I certainly HOPE your prediction is right and she'll grow some brains + spine as the series progresses. She's certainly very cute as she is (it makes you want to pat her on the head and go "You poor thing 8D"), but cute's not going to work in a drama called LIAR GAME =P

Though Akiyama's supposed to be the star of the show anyway, not Nao.

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 23rd, '07, 14:04

what's up with mushroom man beating on the japanese leopard? should it be the other way around?

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » May 23rd, '07, 15:49

where oh where do you people down load the manga? lolz.. i really really want to know the story line. coz usually the manga is way better than anime or action live.. ;)

to those who hate NAO:
have you guys ever thought that without her idiocacy in the series, you won't be this agitated discussing what idiotic move she will do next? hehe.. its part of her role. and the role also fits her so well. we are all rooting for her next break down don't we? without her in this, its not liar game anymore. it will all be about nakayama, but if he will only be the one playing the game, there won't be any excitement anymore... coz he's that cool. but with the idiotic nao in the scene... it gets more interesting. (but i know you guys would still hate her, but i was just throwing a thought)
:whistling:

greenjade05

Post by greenjade05 » May 23rd, '07, 16:30

^Don't you mean 'Akiyama', not 'Nakayama'?

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » May 23rd, '07, 16:39

greenjade05 wrote:^Don't you mean 'Akiyama', not 'Nakayama'?
lolz.. sorry about that. :crazy: yes. its Akiyama.