[Discussion] Proposal Daisakusen (Operation Love)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » Jun 1st, '07, 10:30

lunargen wrote:
GoddessCarlie:
I have this feeling that the "Kenzo doesn't understand Rei" scene is on the next episode.
Rei said in this weeks preview that she is going to start going out with Tada. I think this is one of her "I Want You To Read My Mind Kenzo.." spells once again. She'd say that she's going out with Tada, Ken tries to stop that, but fails miserably ONCE AGAIN DUE TO HIS INCREDIBLE LUCK, and Rei wouldn't know of his efforts, and so she says that line that he never understood her. BECAUSE SHE WANTED TO BE STOPPED IN THE FIRST PLACE. but since Kenzo appears to have not done anything, she will rant on. And poor Kenzo will once again hang his head in another photo, if any.

You know I will fully agree with you on this statement.
Unfortunately the scene when Rei tells Ken that he doesn't understand a thing is coming up in the next episode. I just finished watching Episode 4 where that first flash back appeared and they are wearing the same cloths that they were wearing in last weeks preview of ep 8. I hope that this is a flash back of the orignal past and Ken goes back and prevents that scene from happening. However, (I am talking about the preview for ep 8 )when that scene of Mikio on the phone and Ken standing there with Mikio perhaps they are spying on Rei and Tada on their "date" and later in the day Rei finds out that the friends were spying on them and thats when that scene comes into play. I hope this is just speculation.
UGH! Its only Friday so that means we have another 3 full days to wait for Ep 8....I hope that I can make it..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

belleza

Post by belleza » Jun 1st, '07, 10:34

Okey-dokey. Just finished Episode 6. I think this is my favorite episode of the series so far.

What I love about junai is its sense of fate -- the uncertain knots, suffocating effect of time, and deathless, lifeless memories. Whether the lovers have a happy or sad ending, the emotional force runs an eternal cycle of things bigger than the lovers that makes us so sensitive to them, even if they themselves cannot see outside the predicament of their pure love. I felt like, finally with Episodes 5 and 6, ProDai has started to find its stride as a junai story.
The thing about Episode 5 was that, for me, it really did feel like the end. It felt like Ken had finally did all he thought he needed to do, and that in the short-term had achieved almost all what he thought she wanted. He did almost everything; he had almost everything; and Ken came out of believing that this pivotal moment would be a finality to their relationship. Ken was right -- it was the end.

I think, for me, the beauty of Episode 6 is that, for the first time, I feel that I'm better understanding the Angel's purpose. Proposal Daisakusen isn't about Ken and him winning over the girl, because the truth is the Angel isn't talking about Ken. He's actually talking about Rei. He's actually telling Ken all the things that Rei had thought, and that her underlying regret was just like his: she waited and waited, she rationalize her unrequited feelings as a mix of ill timing and Ken's insensivity. She put everything on Fate, as he put everything on Fate. All this time -- all this advice that the Angel has been dispensing to Ken -- it's preparation for Ken to tell Rei.

The middle school and the missed chance reveals everything. In Rei's mind, she had thought -- she had brooded -- through her entire high school years about her one missed opportunity. She damned herself; she damned him; she tied herself into a mental knot waiting for the right time. And then, on her 20th birthday, on deciding to rectify the whole situation, her supposed great failure finally pushes her to wash herself. Because the timing was wrong, she gave up. In the end, the lesson of misplaced conclusions also applied to Rei.

Episode 6 changes the meaning of the first 5 episode before it. Instead of 5 attempts at Ken confessing love, it's 5 missed chances of Rei confessing her love. It's about her failure. And it's about how, even though Ken changed into a more mature person and followed the lessons to convince Rei that he truly adored her, that it was besides the irony. It was never about Ken confessing his feelings or him changing for her. It's about Ken learning that Rei -- then -- shared the exact same faults that he -- now -- feels, and that what prevents the flow of time to truly change is that he has to change her. He has to make her wake up. He has to make her realize she's making her own Fate.

ProDai is an intervention. The greatest gift Ken could give Rei is to make her grow up.
I loved the passage of time in Episode 6. . .
And the changing nuances between Hishashi and Eri. The most changed person seems to be Eri -- every ensuing episode her bubbliness and center-of-the-world spirit levels out. She's no longer the most beautiful person in school; she's no longer important to her own boyfriend. And, at the same time, Hishashi no longer wants to prove his love for her; he simply wants her to trust him and their friendship.

It made me really smile, and also how wise onto Rei she is. She is like Rei's angel too.

I liked Tada in this episode, but for the first time, I felt very strong teacher-student or "oppa" vibes between them. It seemed like ReixTada's clearest memory as her consul. And then, unwittingly, Rei's 20-year old choice of letting go of Ken and their mispent youth, changes/redefines Tada and Rei's relationship. If Rei fully committed to disconnect herself from her past, she is also reinventing herself as a new woman to Tada.
I really enjoyed Yamapi's acting in this episode. He usually conveys a stubborn, if sometimes insensible and inappropriate, confidence, and he maps out emotional responses in a "smile A, speak B, hallelujah nobutaaaaaaaa!!!" He is linear in the way Tom Cruise is linear (and that includes his drunk on soy milk scenes.) But here we see him palpably convey some introspection, some bitterness, some bit of reflexive sensitivity.

Tada's statement about "solving a problem" ironically reflects the beauty of Masami's acting style. After watching Nada Sou Sou, I came out of thinking -- well, she's still not that great at the full-on wailing thing (hello Erika!), but perhaps no other actress in her group better does "troubled", in all of its guises of false smiles, self-decieving words, anxious responses, impatience -- than her. And in turn, she beautifully the tiring effects upon Rei's soul beautifully and makes everyday girlishness as troubled and passive aggressive as it can be. Episode 6 seems to lead up to all that, and she beautifully pretends Rei's giving up as "closure" that it clearly isn't.

And as for Mikio and his GF . . . that's how my relationships really are. :lol :cry:

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jun 1st, '07, 13:21

About Mikio and his GF's relationshiop. Why is mikio so careless yet his gf is so pushy? O_O she wants more but he only gives some. the ultimate tease? 8)

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Jun 1st, '07, 17:17

Episode 8 Preview Spoiler
I got the following from a Chinese discussion forum:
Episode 8 preview spoiler -
2004年の12月31日に戻った岩瀬健は、「戻ってきたら协力する」と言っていた榎戸干雄にタイムスリップしてきたと伝える。干雄は、健が吉田礼に、いつまでたっても告白できないでいることにあきれるが、ふたりきりになるきっかけを作ってあげた。ところが、健が気持ちを伝える前に、礼から多田哲也と付き合うことを决めたと言われてしまう。ショックを受ける健。健のアパートで毎年恒例の年越し。今年は多田も合流した。そして、初日の出を见に行くという段になって、健は「行かない」と言い出す。妖精に言われたとおり、すべてあきらめて礼のことを忘れようと决心したのだ。干雄らは强引に诱うが、健は顽として拒否する。みんなが出かけた後、あてもなく街に行った健は…。

健回到了2004年12月31日,因为干雄曾经说过[回去的话我帮你],健就告诉了干雄自己是穿越回来的。干雄知道健无论等到什么时候都没法跟礼告白,就创造机会让他俩单独在一起。但是健还没来得及传达自己的感情,礼却先说出了要和多田交往的决定。健受刺激不小。每年都惯例在健的公寓大家一起过年,今年多田也来了。到了一起出门去看新年的第一个日出的时候,健却说[不去了]。像妖精所说的那样,健决心放弃所有,忘记礼的事。不管干雄他们怎么劝,健也坚决的拒绝了。大家出门后,漫无目的走在街上的健……

English Translation: Ken returns to 31 December 2004. Because of what Mikio said at the wedding, Ken decides to tell "past" Mikio that he timeslipped. Mikio tries to set up an opportunity for Ken to finally confess to Rei, but before Ken can confess, Rei tells him that she has decided to data Tada. Ken is devastated. It is a tradition that the gang spends New Year's Eve at Ken's house, and this year, Tada san is here too. However, when the gang is about to catch the new year's first sunrise, Ken says he doesn't want to go. Just as the Yosei predicted, Ken decides to give up completely and forget about Rei. No matter how Mikio and the rest try to persuade Ken, Ken still refuses to go.

After everyone leaves, Ken wanders the streets alone.

Okay I translated this from the Chinese translation, so there may be mistakes. Anyone who knows Japanese, please feel free to correct this!

I'm depressed already. I really do hope Episode 8 is not as depressing as it sounds. I think I may have to give up watching Prodai until Episode 11 comes out, because damnit I can't take another 3 more depressing episodes!

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jun 1st, '07, 17:35

:blink killer.... a true warrior never give up!

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Jun 1st, '07, 18:07

kilaalaa wrote:Episode 8 Preview Spoiler
2004年の12月31日に戻った岩瀬健は、「戻ってきたら协力する」と言っていた榎戸干雄にタイムスリップしてきたと伝える。干雄は、健が吉田礼に、いつまでたっても告白できないでいることにあきれるが、ふたりきりになるきっかけを作ってあげた。ところが、健が気持ちを伝える前に、礼から多田哲也と付き合うことを决めたと言われてしまう。ショックを受ける健。健のアパートで毎年恒例の年越し。今年は多田も合流した。そして、初日の出を见に行くという段になって、健は「行かない」と言い出す。妖精に言われたとおり、すべてあきらめて礼のことを忘れようと决心したのだ。干雄らは强引に诱うが、健は顽として拒否する。みんなが出かけた後、あてもなく街に行った健は…。

健回到了2004年12月31日,因为干雄曾经说过[回去的话我帮你],健就告诉了干雄自己是穿越回来的。干雄知道健无论等到什么时候都没法跟礼告白,就创造机会让他俩单独在一起。但是健还没来得及传达自己的感情,礼却先说出了要和多田交往的决定。健受刺激不小。每年都惯例在健的公寓大家一起过年,今年多田也来了。到了一起出门去看新年的第一个日出的时候,健却说[不去了]。像妖精所说的那样,健决心放弃所有,忘记礼的事。不管干雄他们怎么劝,健也坚决的拒绝了。大家出门后,漫无目的走在街上的健……

English Translation: Ken returns to 31 December 2004. Because of what Mikio said at the wedding, Ken decides to tell "past" Mikio that he timeslipped. Mikio tries to set up an opportunity for Ken to finally confess to Rei, but before Ken can confess, Rei tells him that she has decided to data Tada. Ken is devastated. It is a tradition that the gang spends New Year's Eve at Ken's house, and this year, Tada san is here too. However, when the gang is about to catch the new year's first sunrise, Ken says he doesn't want to go. Just as the Yosei predicted, Ken decides to give up completely and forget about Rei. No matter how Mikio and the rest try to persuade Ken, Ken still refuses to go.

Okay I translated this from the Chinese translation, so there may be mistakes. Anyone who knows Japanese, please feel free to correct this!

I'm depressed already. I really do hope Episode 8 is not as depressing as it sounds. I think I may have to give up watching Prodai until Episode 11 comes out, because damnit I can't take another 3 more depressing episodes!
Yup the translation's good :)

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Jun 1st, '07, 18:13

^ Thank you so much for vetting it! =)

fastat3m

Post by fastat3m » Jun 1st, '07, 19:58

pwner4once wrote::blink killer.... a true warrior never give up!
I disagree, I think everyone gives up during hard times, even if it is for a split second. I use to run XC in high school and remember I always gave up during the race. It is hard to maintain at an even keel for a long time. However, I would eventually tell myself, "What are you doing, and I would get stronger." I did this every race, even my best races. When you give up on something important, something starts eating away at you and you realize how important it was to you. You become stronger, because now you want it more than ever. People may be different than me, but this is how my brain functions. I may have my momentary lapses, but if it is important, things will come back together at the end.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » Jun 2nd, '07, 00:02

kilaalaa wrote:Episode 8 Preview Spoiler

Grrrrrr :x I truely hate Tada. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

I am also starting to turn against Rei also.....How could she do that to her childhood friend? :pale:

I might have to skip this episode....I don't think I can watch this....but I have to watch it....ugh!...... :argue: :argue: with myself............sigh! :crazy: :unsure: :cry:
maybe....just maybe.....Rei will feel bad enough and leave the group and go and try to find Ken. The nerve of Tada to come over to Ken's house. If I were Ken I wouldn't even let him pass the door. Even if Rei wouldn't come in without Tada. They can both stay outside as far as I am concerned.
I just hope that this preview is wrong......please be wrong :unsure: please be wrong. :unsure:
Last edited by Graymouse on Jun 2nd, '07, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » Jun 2nd, '07, 00:52

belleza wrote:Okey-dokey. Just finished Episode 6. I think this is my favorite episode of the series so far.

What I love about junai is its sense of fate -- the uncertain knots, suffocating effect of time, and deathless, lifeless memories. Whether the lovers have a happy or sad ending, the emotional force runs an eternal cycle of things bigger than the lovers that makes us so sensitive to them, even if they themselves cannot see outside the predicament of their pure love. I felt like, finally with Episodes 5 and 6, ProDai has started to find its stride as a junai story.
The thing about Episode 5 was that, for me, it really did feel like the end. It felt like Ken had finally did all he thought he needed to do, and that in the short-term had achieved almost all what he thought she wanted. He did almost everything; he had almost everything; and Ken came out of believing that this pivotal moment would be a finality to their relationship. Ken was right -- it was the end.

I think, for me, the beauty of Episode 6 is that, for the first time, I feel that I'm better understanding the Angel's purpose. Proposal Daisakusen isn't about Ken and him winning over the girl, because the truth is the Angel isn't talking about Ken. He's actually talking about Rei. He's actually telling Ken all the things that Rei had thought, and that her underlying regret was just like his: she waited and waited, she rationalize her unrequited feelings as a mix of ill timing and Ken's insensivity. She put everything on Fate, as he put everything on Fate. All this time -- all this advice that the Angel has been dispensing to Ken -- it's preparation for Ken to tell Rei.

The middle school and the missed chance reveals everything. In Rei's mind, she had thought -- she had brooded -- through her entire high school years about her one missed opportunity. She damned herself; she damned him; she tied herself into a mental knot waiting for the right time. And then, on her 20th birthday, on deciding to rectify the whole situation, her supposed great failure finally pushes her to wash herself. Because the timing was wrong, she gave up. In the end, the lesson of misplaced conclusions also applied to Rei.

Episode 6 changes the meaning of the first 5 episode before it. Instead of 5 attempts at Ken confessing love, it's 5 missed chances of Rei confessing her love. It's about her failure. And it's about how, even though Ken changed into a more mature person and followed the lessons to convince Rei that he truly adored her, that it was besides the irony. It was never about Ken confessing his feelings or him changing for her. It's about Ken learning that Rei -- then -- shared the exact same faults that he -- now -- feels, and that what prevents the flow of time to truly change is that he has to change her. He has to make her wake up. He has to make her realize she's making her own Fate.

ProDai is an intervention. The greatest gift Ken could give Rei is to make her grow up.
I love your insight. It certainly turns things on it's head. I love it, and I think you have a great point here :)

belleza

Post by belleza » Jun 2nd, '07, 02:22

I love your insight. It certainly turns things on it's head. I love it, and I think you have a great point here
II rewatched some of the scenes from the earlier episodes, and I honestly think that's the "twist" in the story. Watch Rei carefully through the first 5 episodes; watch the messages she's trying to give Ken; finally watch what Eri has been trying to saying to her. The Angel is waxing ironic.
We've kinda always look at this story firmly from Ken's point of view, and presumed that, through some well-executed choices, that Ken had to "prove" himself for Rei for her to see him as more than just silly Ken-zou. But episode 6 reveals she had been in love with him all along; she had known very clearly that she was in love with him. And when Eri asks her what Ken-zou means, Rei says "neither here not there" -- it means she says "the time is not right, maybe later. maybe I'll be ready or he'll make it easy for him to jump . . ."

Maybe . . maybe . . . maybe . . .

The Angel in the first episode talks about righting mistakes, about the nature of unrequired relationships and chances not taken. But, the Angel is talking about Rei. The Angel is telling Ken all the things Rei is thinking, seeing with each picture slide, regretting . . . while making him believe that he is an impersonal observer of their relationship.

And that, probably Rei is marrying Tada for the wrong reasons. Because Ken quite naturally believes the Angel is talking about him, he tries his best to right his own self. And each time, it doesn't really "work" He believes he needs to prove he cares for her, and everytime he does this, Rei doesn't change. He has to make her talk. But, at the same time, he is starting to understand Rei, even though he's not yet connecting the Angel's purpose with her.

Taken from that perspective, the emotions we're seeing from Rei with each slide -- the sadder as she goes -- wasn't really a product of Ken's changes. It was, rather, the sadness and frustration in Rei's heart all along []pointed at herself[/I] as she's looking at Ken. The sadder she looks with each slide . . . that's her reliving her days with Ken up to her decision to end it herself, up to their big fight.

All Ken needs to do was to recognize that Rei was reaching out to him. Be himself, but see her, really see her. And before asking her to marry him, give her absolute hell.

aatm

Post by aatm » Jun 2nd, '07, 03:11

belleza wrote:
And before asking her to marry him, give her absolute hell.
haha. i totally agree with you on that. :thumright:

While I do feel that your idea is very very insightful, I'm not so certain that's actually how it is. I do believe that the stuff in the first episode about
"Humans say to marry the second person you love the most..."
is talking about Rei, but I'm not so sure
that this whole time slipping is solely for Rei's benefit. I personally think it's solely on Ken, at the most, maybe both of them, but I don't think it's solely Rei.
If it is though, many many props to you for figuring it out this "early" on, because I don't think anyone else thought of that. (^_^)

And just curious...
if Ken could buy the Average Luck charm, the champagne/wine/sparkling cider/whatever, and pay for his house phone, why couldn't he pay for his cell phone? (only half serious)
that would've been happily ever after right there. =) maybe. which makes me wonder
if this will end in the traditional "happily ever after"...like, i'm beginning to wonder if they will end up married in the end...i'm hoping that they'll be dating at least and married for sure, but i wonder if it'll actually happen now...
*shrug*

physics223

Post by physics223 » Jun 2nd, '07, 04:33

I was deeply saddened by ep6 ... fate simply conspired against them.

lilsh0rtnancy

Post by lilsh0rtnancy » Jun 2nd, '07, 07:38

belleza wrote:
I love your insight. It certainly turns things on it's head. I love it, and I think you have a great point here
II rewatched some of the scenes from the earlier episodes, and I honestly think that's the "twist" in the story. Watch Rei carefully through the first 5 episodes; watch the messages she's trying to give Ken; finally watch what Eri has been trying to saying to her. The Angel is waxing ironic.
We've kinda always look at this story firmly from Ken's point of view, and presumed that, through some well-executed choices, that Ken had to "prove" himself for Rei for her to see him as more than just silly Ken-zou. But episode 6 reveals she had been in love with him all along; she had known very clearly that she was in love with him. And when Eri asks her what Ken-zou means, Rei says "neither here not there" -- it means she says "the time is not right, maybe later. maybe I'll be ready or he'll make it easy for him to jump . . ."

Maybe . . maybe . . . maybe . . .

The Angel in the first episode talks about righting mistakes, about the nature of unrequired relationships and chances not taken. But, the Angel is talking about Rei. The Angel is telling Ken all the things Rei is thinking, seeing with each picture slide, regretting . . . while making him believe that he is an impersonal observer of their relationship.

And that, probably Rei is marrying Tada for the wrong reasons. Because Ken quite naturally believes the Angel is talking about him, he tries his best to right his own self. And each time, it doesn't really "work" He believes he needs to prove he cares for her, and everytime he does this, Rei doesn't change. He has to make her talk. But, at the same time, he is starting to understand Rei, even though he's not yet connecting the Angel's purpose with her.

Taken from that perspective, the emotions we're seeing from Rei with each slide -- the sadder as she goes -- wasn't really a product of Ken's changes. It was, rather, the sadness and frustration in Rei's heart all along []pointed at herself[/I] as she's looking at Ken. The sadder she looks with each slide . . . that's her reliving her days with Ken up to her decision to end it herself, up to their big fight.

All Ken needs to do was to recognize that Rei was reaching out to him. Be himself, but see her, really see her. And before asking her to marry him, give her absolute hell.
I kind of thought about that too because in the first ep. the fairy was also talking about Rei's feelings. I don't think she regrets marrying Tada-san but more towards her relationship w/ Ken, which never had a chance. And now that you've mentioned it, it does seem like her expressions do get sadder at the end. I still think Ken is #1 in her heart and she's settling for Tada-san. If everyone could be straightforward with their feelings things would be less complicated , but then again, we wouldn't have a drama to watch if that happened. From this pt. on I have no idea what's going to happen :scratch: All these predictions are really good and some are really plausible.

I really like the idea that Rei will leave the party and try to find Ken in ep. 8. That would slightly makeup for the heartache they've been putting us through.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » Jun 2nd, '07, 09:03

I made an intresting discovery perhaps some of you guys have seen this as well after watching the english subs. I watched episode 1 again. When they cut to Ken at his house oversleeping.....they show a movie called "wedding arrangements" Now, I find that very odd to be in Ken's house especially since he is not the groom. So, perhaps this is a foreshadow of episode 11? Am I over analizing this?......

LOL I need some kind of hope guys! After watching the last two......

kurosaki_frank

Post by kurosaki_frank » Jun 2nd, '07, 09:15

episode was a bit sad, but not THAT sad
i was hoping for ken like drop sick on floor and someone call and ambulance then rei find out that he waited all night long, sick on the cold and u know start to cry n stuff...
but oh well...

on the persona i would think that is better if they end up dating @ the end and not married

belleza

Post by belleza » Jun 2nd, '07, 10:31

I don't think she regrets marrying Tada-san but more towards her relationship w/ Ken, which never had a chance. And now that you've mentioned it, it does seem like her expressions do get sadder at the end. I still think Ken is #1 in her heart and she's settling for Tada-san.
It's not so much about Rei making mistakes, but I think Rei is perhaps not as far as long as Ken in being honest. Rei is an architect, and in a way that means she has idealistic and yet very abstract, distant relationship of the heart. She tried to rationalize her feelings, and she tried to construct what she thought was the "right" relationship and she tried to create too perfect messages in a bottle for Ken. Ironically, those were exactly the things the Angel spoke to Ken about.

Rei's very good at making a wonderfully romantic plan that prevents her from saying "I love you Ken." Ken believes he must do something, find a mode of action, to change the future. And yet, he is most disarming, most moving, when he simply speaks from the heart. Ken just doesn't trust the power of his sincerity; I can't blame him -- he truly believes he screwed up. Even in flashback, he doesn't see how Rei let him down too.
is talking about Rei, but I'm not so sure
I kinda wondered how the Angel knew all of these things about Rei and Ken. Or that what was his agenda with the observations he picked. After episode 6, it seemed so obvious to me that he was simply reading the thoughts in Rei's heart, the stuff that she never really told Ken. Angel only knows her truth. And on behalf of Rei, he wanted Ken to know it too. If Ken goes through all the slides, he will understand. But only then.
It at least provides a fair grounds for a happy ending. Instead of making the story a boxing match in romantic self-improvement, it turns time-travel into a experiential dialogue between two friends who could never sit down together to speak from the heart. And, then, it's about Rei, with her fatalistic eyes, trading shots with Ken's lump-in-throat frustration. Rei, smoke signalling and floor mapping Rei, doesn't see Ken being unable to breathe her air or take the suffocating stares of her diffidence. After hope and depression, there's now anger. Soon Ken will strike back.

It's also true to the confused sensitivity that typifies the characters Masami plays. Saying one thing, meaning the very opposite, and her eyes never making contact with the guilt and regret that's looking back at her. And when she think you're not looking, she can't help but send her bitter judgement from the other side of the room. Maybe she regrets Ken; maybe she regrets herself; maybe she'll brush it off with another indifferent shrug.

Off topic: her movie Sono toki wa kare ni yoroshiku/ That Time I Said Hi to My Boyfriend with Takayuki Yamada is coming out today. Based on the novel written by the same author who did junai classic Ima, ai ni yukimasu/"Be With You" , it's "about three people's childhood friendship and their reunion after 15 years of separation."

Plus video from movie:

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Jun 2nd, '07, 13:36

Graymouse wrote:
maybe....just maybe.....Rei will feel bad enough and leave the group and go and try to find Ken. The nerve of Tada to come over to Ken's house. If I were Ken I wouldn't even let him pass the door. Even if Rei wouldn't come in without Tada. They can both stay outside as far as I am concerned.
Maybe thats how Rei and Ken meet and she says Ken never understood anything?

I really really hope Ep 8 will be somewhat like Ep7 and not 6. Hopefully something happens to improve their relationship as compared to episode 6 which was 100% totally hopeless. Sigh.

And about what Belleza said: I like your theory! I really think its unfair if its only Ken trying hard to change the future. I'm thinking maybe we will be able to see Rei trying hard to change it too. Hopefully!

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » Jun 2nd, '07, 17:06

kilaalaa wrote:
Graymouse wrote:
Maybe thats how Rei and Ken meet and she says Ken never understood anything?

I really really hope Ep 8 will be somewhat like Ep7 and not 6. Hopefully something happens to improve their relationship as compared to episode 6 which was 100% totally hopeless. Sigh.

And about what Belleza said: I like your theory! I really think its unfair if its only Ken trying hard to change the future. I'm thinking maybe we will be able to see Rei trying hard to change it too. Hopefully!
I agree I hope it didnt end up as sad as Episode 6. I really hope for a happy ending. It seems the timing was off for both of them, its not his fault. I hope they both will be on the timing and come to understand. :wub: :-)

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 2nd, '07, 21:08

Eeh, how are you guys watching these eps when Love Song only has up to 6 subbed? Do you all know Japanese? x_x Lucky.

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » Jun 2nd, '07, 21:19

I have a Japanese Background and I know how to talk both Japanese and English. So, Ill watch it in Japanese and English subs. :D

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jun 2nd, '07, 21:30

:lol
Love Song's translation isawesome but it also takes time to do such a good job. therefore i stopped waiting for the good quality and went to the chinese fast sub from btpig. It's in chinese but i can understand lol

eUxaZnxRo

Post by eUxaZnxRo » Jun 2nd, '07, 21:50

@Gorahgurl: yes i know japanese fluently.... :lol i wish... i don't understand anything except for the occasional suki, kawaii, kakkoii, etc. but it doesn't stop me from watching the RAW. when love song releases their hardsub, i download it and rewatch that episode.

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 2nd, '07, 23:22

Hm, I should start watching RAW then. ^_^ I'm studying Japanese, still don't know a lot, but I know absolutely zero Chinese. Thanks for taking the time to answer the off-topic (from what you guys were talking about) question. =P

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jun 3rd, '07, 06:36

episode 7's softsubs are done. just thought you should know. :D

SmiLeeGirl

Post by SmiLeeGirl » Jun 3rd, '07, 07:46

Hi guys,

So after reading all the recaps for 6 and 7... I am seriously thinking on making myself wait until an ep with a "positive" ending gets released.

Sounds like everyone one is screaming with anticipation / anxiety -- maybe I can avoid the same fate???

Well at least thats the plan ... unless I breakdown and watching it anyway... ack

What do you guys think? Good Idea or should I just suck it up and watch it anxiety and all?

@ belleza - I sure hope that all of that will end up in a happy ending and K and R together. Hope you are right and we can see rei making some efforts to voice her feelings too.

You know something else that is a lttile unnerving for me is that the story is set at the wedding reception as in ... she just married the guy... and in she is someones wife... yet she throws all these regretful looks *alarm* alarm * alarm *

so I think...
that whole "she is marrying tada because she does love him and he is a nice guy BUT he isn't THE love of her life" idea could be possible.

possible ending idea -- would it be ok if R and K got togehter and were at Tada's wedding to someone else -- then tada would have a happy ending too.
Smi

PS Masami and Terayuki move that is being released ... is that in the theaters or DVD? Where could I find it?

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » Jun 3rd, '07, 07:57

You should watch it Gorahgurl in RAW. I'm learning Japanese too, and I find watching it in raw a fantastic experience. You can concentrate so much more on what is being said. After wards (when the soft subs are released) I re watched and I'm surprised so much that I often understood some what what was being said...

That being said, thanks lunargen for the subs!

fujitak

Post by fujitak » Jun 3rd, '07, 13:06

The result of episode 7 sound like failure for Ken.
In episode 6 Ken losed to Tada bacause nothing changed. In episode 7 the only change is that Tada made his confession in front of everybody but Rei seems to understand his feeling and in the finale photo nothing has changed. So like episode 6 in episode 7 nothing has changed for Ken-Rei. But at the end Mikio said to Ken that he knew that he traveled on the past. So now Mikio could help. :D

T-chan

Post by T-chan » Jun 3rd, '07, 18:01

I just watched episode 7 and... aaaw! It's so sad!
I started thinking that somehow things might work out, at least a bit! After he threw the water-balloon and everything. But then Tada confessed anyhow!

For some reason, I start to like ProDai more and more, and I'm so looking forward to subs to episode 8! In the episode preview he Ken was crying!!

microsoftExcelExcel

Post by microsoftExcelExcel » Jun 3rd, '07, 18:21

I posted this on the wrong thread the first time cause I'm a turd. So here's to hoping I'm on the right one this time. :| I guess this what I get for looking at two threads at the same time.

So, I just saw 6, and I suppose I shouldn't have browsed through this message board before downloading it. I sure like to spoil myself.

Anyway...

It was absolutely sad for me. There were just scenes where I had to fight the urge to press fast forward just because I wanted to see whether or not Ken catches up to Rei or vice versa. Now, I believe it's clear that regardless of Ken's determination, it's all up to Rei. It seems to me that the first five episodes were for Ken to try to change things while the coming episodes will most likely just leave it for Rei to decide and for the viewers to anguish over.

Still, ProDai turned out to be different than what I expected it to be. There's no doubt that the writing is fabulous, the scenes are directed pretty well, and the actors are also far from a let down. However, I believe that Rei's character is severely flawed. At first, I thought that it was Ken all along who failed to admit his feelings for Rei, so she just decided to give up and find happiness with someone else. But right now, it seems that it's absolutely impossible for Rei to ignore all the things Ken went through and still give up on him (e.g.. the love confession paper airplane). I agree with everyone that Rei is a little...extraordinary. I mean, she should have considered the jersey button and kiss scenes before doing all that instead of just seemingly putting them aside deep into the recesses of her mind. To me, Rei is starting to get on my nerves. It seems she's asking too much from her "air-headed" Ken-zou who doesn't understand anything. I mean, she does realize that he can be a little slow, and she points it out often too, so should probably have at least waited to confront him rather than to give up and "jump into conclusions", thus leading to her "i'm twenty now, and ken-zou was just the teenage
object of my love/angst so I think I'll move on to emotionally mature men like Tada."

Rei definitely needs to stop expecting too much from Ken. No offense to Ken's brain or anything, but some of her hints and expectations are a little too much for him to pick up on even with the help of Fairy Guy. I suppose knowing him for sometime now, she expects him to pick up on all of her subtle hints. If things don't turn out well for Ken I guess...it's just oh well, that's how life is. Also, I agree that if Rei stays the same then he's probably lucky not to end up with her. The person who commented on Fairy Guy having to live with them in order to help Ken keep their high maintenance relationship is right.
I know some people will probably disagree with me, but that's just how I see Rei. I hope she gets better before the series ends though or else I'll probably have a rather depressing summer all because of ProDai. That is unless HanaKimi comes through for me.

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 3rd, '07, 19:43

I cried at the end of 6. I'll probably watch the 7 RAW tonight. And where can I find the softsubs for it, I'll watch it RAW first, then with subs. Unless they're Chinese softsubs. xD

Aah, about the episode 7 preview, what's this about Ken saying,"I don't want to go back in time anymore" ? I was like "O.O!!!! NOOOOO!"

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Jun 3rd, '07, 19:52

This show has so many plot holes you can drive a dump truck through.

He makes it right as the picture is being taken, so he's captured in the backround, he gets transported back to the future. What does his "past" version do to explain why he was in the school building at that time? So he can say he was there, but of course his past self might come up with some silly thing, but they would probably never explain on the show.

LOL also last night I had a crazy dream that Ken and Tada end up together!!!! Twlight zone dun dun dun!!!

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 3rd, '07, 19:59

Ken and Tada? rofl That would be an interesting ending to things xD I have always wondered that, what Ken's self six years ago does after the future Ken leaves again. God knows he'll just screw things up. T_T

Do you think they'll get Eri and Tsuru together? I feel kind of bad for him, despite him being kind of annoying.

T-chan

Post by T-chan » Jun 3rd, '07, 20:13

Aaaw! But Tsuru and Eri DO end up together, all thanks to Ken! At least he manages to make SOMETHING happy happen! *le nod* I got all giddy and happy when I saw it!

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Jun 3rd, '07, 20:50

Do you think they'll get Eri and Tsuru together? I feel kind of bad for him, despite him being kind of annoying.
Read if you want to know sorta:
Watch episode 7 and find out.

Lockewinter

Post by Lockewinter » Jun 3rd, '07, 20:59

I don't think there's a way to prevent tons of plot holes from appearing in a time travel plot anyway. Rather than science fiction, I like it when it is considered more of an element of fantasy, like dragons or fairies, to be accepted for what it is. Otherwise, every treatment would be bogged down with endless discussion of the mind-melting nature of time travel. I think its best to just let the writers decide how much and in what way they want to treat the concept in each case. I think it is an appropriate and excellent choice to make a fairy the conductor of the time travel mechanism in this one for that very purpose of separating the idea from any kind consistent reality.

The actual time travel elements don't really get in the way of the main plot, which is basically the growth of two previously immature people to the state where they can and should get married. But now we're approaching spoiler territory, so...
I think a lot of viewers are treating Rei too harshly. One must remember that Ken's consciousness goes back for the time allotment he has gotten in each picture, but future, more mature Ken's consciousness doesn't necessarily stay when he leaves. It would seem it would be important to improve past Ken for more than just a day or two for consistency sake.

Otherwise, you have that kind of person. You know the kind I mean. The one who is nice and charming one day, easier to get along with, the kind you could find yourself opening up with. And then the next time you see them, it's Loserville City again and you wonder how two very different people could exist in one person. Not that Ken's a loser, but the portrayal of his past personality is that he's not exactly the ideal marriage material.

So Rei is getting this fantastic Ken she's always wanted sometimes and other times, the somewhat deadbeat, burp-when-you're-full, pachinko-playing, where's-mah-beer-bi-yotch? Ken. He's obviously a cool enough guy and she likes him enough to be his friend for years, but if I were her I'd wonder how safe my emotions would be with such a callous guy if I admitted my love toward him.

Let's not forget that even future Ken can be pretty shy and easily stepped on.

So then when Tada comes around and is straight forward, older, steadier, more firmly entrenched in good values, no matter how dorky he is, it must have been something like a waking up for her. I could have this type of guy, if I could just forget about Ken, she thinks.

Of course, the incredibly awkward and inappropriate Episode 7 confession scene is probably going to make her think, "I could have THIS TYPE of guy? Ummm, gee, thanks, fate."

Along the lines of her misinterpreting his confessions, well, it is only a Ken of two or three days out of the year that's like that. I'd be pretty confused too. And it really doesn't seem like Rei is the type of girl who would just say, "Look, Ken, I'm confused. Why is it sometimes you seem to want to go farther with me and other times I'm like sisterly baseball to bat around?" Which makes it excellent writing is that Eri IS that type of girl and her best friend and can see things pretty clearly (and that Tsuru is ultimately a good match for her, because he's very straightforward too).
Actually that's another thing I'm rather impressed with about ProDai. The three friend characters are great portrayals of a gang of friends. In the first episode I thought they were all overacting (which stood out against Yamapi and Masami, who don't) but then it seems like throughout the episode and the series they've really entered their roles. I can't help but think its also been because it seems like the cast has become rather friendly in real life as well and it really does seem genuine, not like one of those made up magazine-style interview, "oh yeah, everyone gets along great" things.

Here's to more ProDai, can't wait till tonight!

dragonpoetry

Post by dragonpoetry » Jun 3rd, '07, 21:10

GoddessCarlie wrote:You should watch it Gorahgurl in RAW. I'm learning Japanese too, and I find watching it in raw a fantastic experience. You can concentrate so much more on what is being said. After wards (when the soft subs are released) I re watched and I'm surprised so much that I often understood some what what was being said...

That being said, thanks lunargen for the subs!
I don't speak Japanese nor am I learning Japanese, but watching these things without subtitles is making me understand certain phrases or nuances. It helps that Proposal Daisakusen has excellent actors that can portray and spotlight an emotion. I wish the Chinese dramas were as well done. I *am* learning Chinese. And the characters in the Chinese dramas are pretty wooden as well as the dialogue is very simple. The only exception that I've seen is that I do like Devil Beside You, but I can't say that there is any subtlety there --the acting is a bit ...exuberant and over the top.

T-chan

Post by T-chan » Jun 3rd, '07, 21:10

@Lockewinter: I actually agree with you on most parts. *nod nod*

When it coems to the friends, they didn't really strike me as anything special in the first episodes, but as time progresses it gets more fun to see them and they sort of "need to be there", if you understand me.
I also grew fonder of them after episode 7, where things actually happen and they act more like a bunch of silly friends. The waterballoon fight, the fireworks, the way Ken talks to Tsuru and, more than anything, the way Mikio comes at the end, saying he knows about the time-jumps and all. Yupps, looking forward to episode 8 now!

Lockewinter

Post by Lockewinter » Jun 3rd, '07, 21:31

When I started first noticing it was in the second episode:
The whole message on the board in the classroom for Ken's birthday was quite special.

Also, in the graduation episode, when they all went back to school and goofed around the in principal's chair and bowling and so forth, or when Tsuru went all Lupin the III making up a plan to get Ken's second button back.

Eri and Rei's chats also affected my opinion of them. Tsuru being there for Eri with that one guy who dumps her as well.

Also, Mikio calling Rei in Episode 6. Many people don't think Ken managed to change anything, but I think Mikio's call is what ended up changing the past. If not for that, Rei would not have known that he had worked so hard to try and get her a birthday present, past his physical limits and you can tell that Mikio knows he likes her to a certain extent by the way his most pressing message is how much he's doing it for her. I think that's what pushes her over the edge to try and confess in the first place. I also think even though it didn't work out, it was a positive step in the right direction, because it launched Rei's path of becoming more honest with Ken. (I think that path started when she gave him an honest smile after he kissed her, which BTW, must have been torture for her. Right after something major like that, Ken goes back to the way he used to be. She must have been quite confused and hurt.)
I kind of don't get why Ken doesn't leave messages for himself in the past and try to convince his past self to try even when he's gone. Maybe he eventually will. *shrugs*

T-chan

Post by T-chan » Jun 3rd, '07, 21:41

Yeah, that's true... all those moments are special. Aww... but no matter what, this show is climbing up the ladder of my fav. list! Cause... because! I thikn that the only thing that really annoys me with the show is the corny ending. I DON'T like that middle-aged man with his guitar, standing there and thinking he's cool. It breaks my mood at once! *big sigh*

Anyone else had that feeling?

Sierrablue

Post by Sierrablue » Jun 3rd, '07, 21:52

T-chan wrote:Yeah, that's true... all those moments are special. Aww... but no matter what, this show is climbing up the ladder of my fav. list! Cause... because! I thikn that the only thing that really annoys me with the show is the corny ending. I DON'T like that middle-aged man with his guitar, standing there and thinking he's cool. It breaks my mood at once! *big sigh*

Anyone else had that feeling?
I'd have to disagree, I really like the song and it's performed quite tastefully fitting the romantic atmosphere.

Lockewinter

Post by Lockewinter » Jun 3rd, '07, 22:10

Indeed, I would have to disagree as well. I mean, it's Keisuke Kuwata, from the Southern All Stars! The man is seriously talented and has been an incredible performer, musician and singer for over 30 years now. I don't usually buy any of his music (or Southern All Stars) but its not the style of music I go for, but I've always thought all their songs are usually great. Did you know he once played all the music in his song, drums, singing, keyboard and guitar? He's a classy cat. I wonder if Yamapi had any influence on him doing the theme song, as I've often heard he's a big fan of Southern All Stars. Apparenlty he also composed the song while looking at the script of the drama in order to match it.

He does look less cool than he usually does, it might the effusive white making him look pale. He tends to look cooler most of the time. For instance, observe him on the CD cover of Ashita Hareru. (There was actually a hysterical ASCII art of a bunch of mona's in a choir singing the refrain to the song, looking like they were doing the can-can, but 2ch goes so fast, that there's been over 3000 posts in the ProDai topics there in the last week and it's already gone. :( )

spokeydokey00

Post by spokeydokey00 » Jun 3rd, '07, 22:28

I'm a little confused. I'm watching the [love song] hardsubbed versions so I have only watched up to ep 6. here is my question and ill make it hidden for those who aren't up to ep 6 yet:
At the end of ep 5 the emcee says that they have reached the final slide of the slide show. This led me to believe that ep 6 will be the last photo. Then at end of ep 6 there is another photo. Did i misinterpret this, will it be explained in ep 7, or should i just not care?

Lockewinter

Post by Lockewinter » Jun 3rd, '07, 22:35

I believe in that part what was being said was:
It's the final slide of Rei's single days and from now on the slides would concentrate on her relationship with Tada.

Does anyone find it odd that there isn't a slide show for Tada? Is that traditional, to only show the bride's life story? I've never been to a wedding before...maybe it's just because Tada is too boring.

"And this is Tada doing his first fraction multiplication. See the ecstatic smile on his face?"

"And here's a picture of Tada approaching a girl in an apartment store. The story goes like this: he collected pictures of her everyday like an oldman stalker and now he's brought his bullhorn with him to confess in front all the shoppers. As you can see with this wedding, he wasn't successful."

"And here's a picture of Ken and Tada. Hmmm...why does it look like Ken is trying push him into the trash-burning can?"

"And here's a five thousandth variation with Tada having a dorky smile."

fastat3m

Post by fastat3m » Jun 3rd, '07, 22:38

spokeydokey00 wrote:I'm a little confused. I'm watching the [love song] hardsubbed versions so I have only watched up to ep 6. here is my question and ill make it hidden for those who aren't up to ep 6 yet:
At the end of ep 5 the emcee says that they have reached the final slide of the slide show. This led me to believe that ep 6 will be the last photo. Then at end of ep 6 there is another photo. Did i misinterpret this, will it be explained in ep 7, or should i just not care?
I just realized, the first 5 episodes, the picture was taken by one of them in the group, usually mikio. It was the end of the slide show that used their pictures. However, in episode 6 and 7, the pictures are used by a nikon camera which was owned by tada. The first 5 pictures were from the group, while the rest seem to be pictures that are taken by tada, since it was his camera, so episode 6 was the beginning of a new slide show made from tada's pictures.

spokeydokey00

Post by spokeydokey00 » Jun 3rd, '07, 22:46

fastat3m wrote:
spokeydokey00 wrote:I'm a little confused. I'm watching the [love song] hardsubbed versions so I have only watched up to ep 6. here is my question and ill make it hidden for those who aren't up to ep 6 yet:
I just realized, the first 5 episodes, the picture was taken by one of them in the group, usually mikio. It was the end of the slide show that used their pictures. However, in episode 6 and 7, the pictures are used by a nikon camera which was owned by tada. The first 5 pictures were from the group, while the rest seem to be pictures that are taken by tada, since it was his camera, so episode 6 was the beginning of a new slide show made from tada's pictures.
THANKS!!! that makes a lot of sense!!! I feel better now. I just saw that ep 7 soft subs are posted so I am downloading the RAW right now. Hontou ni arigatou!!!

fujitak

Post by fujitak » Jun 3rd, '07, 22:49

i have one question about end of episode 7
at the end mikio said to ken that he knows that ken travel in past. When fairy appears at end mikio is in light so he is like ken he listen, could move , speak and see the fairy. Do you think in episode 8 actual mikio go to past with ken or ken meet past mikio that he knows about ken travel?

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 3rd, '07, 22:52

I just finished episode 7 as well. I'm glad I wasn't eating anything, otherwise I would've choked on it.
I honestly guessed quite a while ago, around 3, that Ken was leaving too many clues and someone would figure it out. That was more wishful thinking, didn't see Mikio finding out about it.

I'm pretty sure Mikio goes with Ken this time. In the previews, while the group was on the bridge, Ken and Mikio share this look at each other. Can't wait until tomorrow!!!!

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » Jun 3rd, '07, 23:08

Might Mikio go with Ken this time....this is getting interesting

dudesterific

Post by dudesterific » Jun 3rd, '07, 23:20

Lockewinter wrote:
Also, Mikio calling Rei in Episode 6. Many people don't think Ken managed to change anything, but I think Mikio's call is what ended up changing the past. If not for that, Rei would not have known that he had worked so hard to try and get her a birthday present, past his physical limits and you can tell that Mikio knows he likes her to a certain extent by the way his most pressing message is how much he's doing it for her. I think that's what pushes her over the edge to try and confess in the first place. I also think even though it didn't work out, it was a positive step in the right direction, because it launched Rei's path of becoming more honest with Ken. (I think that path started when she gave him an honest smile after he kissed her, which BTW, must have been torture for her. Right after something major like that, Ken goes back to the way he used to be. She must have been quite confused and hurt.)
I think Rei wanted to give that letter to Ken even in the past. If you look at the wedding scene before Ken jumped to the past, Tada said she cried during that time. So this gives us a hint that she did that too but probably at that time, Ken really did go to that group date.

Another thing i wanted to add is that long time friends do special things for each other. So all that working hard to buy a present, giving her the button during highschool definately scored on her "this guy is special" meter but its utterly pointless unless ken confesses to her. This is what the fairy has been trying to push him to do.

Rei loves Ken but she doesnt know if Ken wants to be in the type of relationship. Another great guy shows up that does show her he wants to be in that type of relationship with her. WIth Ken not confessing over the course of highschool (which is the time most romance already starts) and even through college, doubt has buit up on her and she decides to just go with Tada.
Anyone have any guesses as to whats going to happen in episode 8?
As someone posted, Ken refuses to go with the gang to the beach to watch the sunrise for the new year because Tada ends up showing up. We see Rei looking out the window obviously thinking about something. I think Ken 'protesting' Tada and Rei's relationship is a good sign and might give Rei a glimpse of whats going on in Ken's heart. What i dont get is there is a scene in the preview that shows Ken is also with the gang during the early morning (watching the sunrise?) How did he end up meeting with the gang? and he is still looking at Rei and Tada getting close.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Jun 4th, '07, 01:52

Lockewinter wrote:I don't think there's a way to prevent tons of plot holes from appearing in a time travel plot anyway. Rather than science fiction, I like it when it is considered more of an element of fantasy, like dragons or fairies, to be accepted for what it is. Otherwise, every treatment would be bogged down with endless discussion of the mind-melting nature of time travel. I think its best to just let the writers decide how much and in what way they want to treat the concept in each case. I think it is an appropriate and excellent choice to make a fairy the conductor of the time travel mechanism in this one for that very purpose of separating the idea from any kind consistent reality.
Check out my post way back on page 43. I touched upon the exact same point. Let me know what you think.

Anyway, you are right about the plot holes. We're going to have enough trouble with the time-related issues, so lets try to sew up as many of the easier problems as we could. I'll try to do two of them here.

I. Is it fair to say Tada knew or should have known that something was up between Rei and Ken?

Let’s check the evidence:
1. Between episodes 1 to 5, Rei gave us lots of hints (i.e. giving Bass doll, wanting heart button, not changing seat, keeping the half of eraser that had Ken’s name on it, remembering first “kiss,” etc.) that she was in love with Ken. In episode 6, for viewers too dense for subtler clues, she up and outright tells us that she loves him. In contrast, the only clues we’ve gotten from original Ken gave the opposite meaning (i.e., gave heart button to another girl, brushed off coffee milk hint, proposed to ersatz Cameron, callously joked about first kiss, skipped out on Rei’s 20th b-day, etc.). The only times we’ve seen Ken pay unambiguous romantic interest to Rei in the past was on those seven days when his body was possessed by his future self.
2. Eri clearly knew Rei liked Ken and constantly teased her for being passive, whereas neither Tsuru nor Mikio ever acted as if they even suspected that Ken liked Rei. Otherwise, the instances in the past where those two guys got in Ken’s way (heart button, Tada’s flower bouquet, king game, etc.) would look like deliberate sabotage, which makes no sense at all.
3. At the wedding, nobody commiserated with Ken about losing Rei until Mikio did in episode 7, but only after figuring out the whole time slip thing. Also, during the slideshow, Eri, Mikio and Tsuru seemed perfectly natural. Had they known about Ken’s feelings in the past, let alone the present, we would have expected them to show at least some discomfort around Ken while viewing pictures of the good old times when Ken and Rei were “still” together.
4.Finally, if Rei had been aware that Ken was once interested in her (let alone still was), would she really have taunted him by asking him to deliver a speech in honor of the newlyweds? Man, that’s cold.

The only person in the past that seemed to know how Ken felt about Rei was her late jiji, but on that day he was actually dealing with future Ken. Tada did notice the "Kenzou" thing but by itself, that doesn't mean anything.
Based on the evidence, I’d say Tada didn’t know anything about what was going on between Ken and Rei, and neither did anybody else, including Ken himself. Before the time slips, Ken never made a move on Rei or did anything to show her that she was more to him than just a close friend.

Note: If Rei has no clue that Ken liked and still likes her, doesn’t that make the way she’s been glancing at him at the wedding so much more meaningful?

II. What a b**ch! How could Rei not know Ken likes her? Isn’t it pretty obvious what Ken’s been trying to tell her?

Lets look at the evidence:
1. In episode 2, Tada erased Ken’s love declaration but past Ken didn’t follow up on it the next day. (Past Ken did remember to buy Rei coffee milk he owed for losing the bet, but future Ken had to leave a written reminder.)
2. In episode 4, past Ken doesn’t finish what he was saying after the camera flash sends future Ken back to the future.
3. In episode 5, the fairy tells Ken that after THE SCENE, Ken returned to his old habits and treated the kiss as something of a joke.
4. In episode 6, Ken makes it to Tada’s office, but doesn’t barge in to tell Rei what happened, or try to explain things to her in the following days.
5. Also in episode 6, as they worked at the pachinko parlor, Mikio wondered why Ken sometimes went out of his way to do something super special for Rei, but didn’t go all out and court her (Mikio was unknowingly talking about Ken’s previous time slips). He said he couldn’t understand why, and implied that Ken was sending Rei mixed signals.

These scenes tell us that although past Ken remembers everything he does while possessed by future Ken, he sees the same actions differently: past Ken filters out all traces of romance. As discussed earlier, this may be because past Ken was not yet “in love” with Rei, so when future Ken leaves, past Ken reverts to relating to Rei as a neuter school chum, and neither understands nor follows through on future Ken’s amorous intent.
Based on available evidence, it wouldn’t be fair to expect Rei to telegraph a love declaration from the special things Kenzou did or said while under future Ken’s control. He was like that just seven times in three years, and apart from those rare occasions, Ken wasn’t romantic towards Rei. Hence, as Mikio noted, Ken’s time skipping has done nothing but send mixed signals to Rei. In any relationship, be it with a pet, offspring or lover, sending mixed signals is often worse than saying nothing at all because it’s guaranteed to confuse, frustrate and eventually condition the other party to stop paying attention. Contrast Ken’s inconsistency and lack of success with Tsuru, who was nothing if not consistent with his signals.

Note: Some of you are hoping Ken’s ultimate love confession takes place in the “present.” That may be the only way it can work. Right now the only beneficial effect Ken’s time slips have had on Rei is give her a tantalizing preview of the great things she can expect from the “final version” of Ken. But this clearly hasn’t been enough to persuade her to hold out until that Ken finally shows up.

So there. Disagree if you must but back it up with evidence from the show. I'll follow with another post about the more controversial plot issues. These may be long but we're past the halfway point so it's time to do an inventory of unresolved questions directly connected to the story. This would help people get a grip on the discussion without reviewing the entire thread.

spokeydokey00

Post by spokeydokey00 » Jun 4th, '07, 02:03

Lockewinter wrote:I believe in that part what was being said was:
It's the final slide of Rei's single days and from now on the slides would concentrate on her relationship with Tada.

Does anyone find it odd that there isn't a slide show for Tada? Is that traditional, to only show the bride's life story? I've never been to a wedding before...maybe it's just because Tada is too boring.

"And this is Tada doing his first fraction multiplication. See the ecstatic smile on his face?"

"And here's a picture of Tada approaching a girl in an apartment store. The story goes like this: he collected pictures of her everyday like an oldman stalker and now he's brought his bullhorn with him to confess in front all the shoppers. As you can see with this wedding, he wasn't successful."

"And here's a picture of Ken and Tada. Hmmm...why does it look like Ken is trying push him into the trash-burning can?"

"And here's a five thousandth variation with Tada having a dorky smile."

thanks! that makes sense too.

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » Jun 4th, '07, 02:09

lol, trash can is funny.

Well, I cant wait to see what happens next! :cheers:

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Jun 4th, '07, 02:29

Anyone notice at the end of episode 7 the "unsure" face Tada has at the table he is sitting at with Rei?

Also how Mikio is looking at Ken in the photograph all strange like he know's somethings up.

In the next episode I don't think Miko goes back in time, back rather he informs past mikio of whats up. They combine their powers but shortly there after the Time Enforcement Commission shows up and tries them for distrupting the time space continum, wait wrong show...
Also what happened to Mikio's girlfriend? Apparenlty they break up in the future cause I don't see her around anywhere at the wedding. Also Rei's parents, we see em in episode 1 thats it, I thought we would see more of them, well a few more episodes left. The guy who plays Rei's dad, he was hilarious in Shomuni.

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 4th, '07, 02:41

Ah, good eye. I didn't catch his face, I was too busy watching for facial expression on the bride's part. He does look kind of hesitant. Maybe it won't mean anything, though. -shrug-

hardy har har

Post by hardy har har » Jun 4th, '07, 02:54

Gorahgurl wrote:I just finished episode 7 as well. I'm glad I wasn't eating anything, otherwise I would've choked on it.
I honestly guessed quite a while ago, around 3, that Ken was leaving too many clues and someone would figure it out. That was more wishful thinking, didn't see Mikio finding out about it.

I'm pretty sure Mikio goes with Ken this time. In the previews, while the group was on the bridge, Ken and Mikio share this look at each other. Can't wait until tomorrow!!!!
don't think so. i remember mikio saying that he figured out the timeslip after the olympics.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Jun 4th, '07, 03:42

[quote="dudesterific"]
I think Rei wanted to give that letter to Ken even in the past. If you look at the wedding scene before Ken jumped to the past, Tada said she cried during that time. So this gives us a hint that she did that too but probably at that time, Ken really did go to that group date.
I think in the original version version,
Rei worked straight through to complete her entry and win the competition. The photograph was made after she had finished, hence they were chugging celebratory beers. Rei cried because she spent the last day of her teens without her friends. Ken completely blew it off too, but Rei wasn't pining specifically for him. She just felt lonely (despite Tada's presence, ha ha) because she missed the whole gang. In the new version, Rei was interrupted by Mikio's phone call. So the new photo was taken at a later time, after she returned from her aborted confession. No beers now, just coffee. And this time, she was crying specifically because of Ken.
Last edited by joeboygo on Jun 4th, '07, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jun 4th, '07, 04:42

spacecommand wrote:
Anyone notice at the end of episode 7 the "unsure" face Tada has at the table he is sitting at with Rei?

Also how Mikio is looking at Ken in the photograph all strange like he know's somethings up.

In the next episode I don't think Miko goes back in time, back rather he informs past mikio of whats up. They combine their powers but shortly there after the Time Enforcement Commission shows up and tries them for distrupting the time space continum, wait wrong show...
Also what happened to Mikio's girlfriend? Apparenlty they break up in the future cause I don't see her around anywhere at the wedding. Also Rei's parents, we see em in episode 1 thats it, I thought we would see more of them, well a few more episodes left. The guy who plays Rei's dad, he was hilarious in Shomuni.
about Rei's dady. apparently he dies the summer or some reasonal term after he left after the visit which is why Ken made her to go him to tell him that she loved his cake and took the big face photo to him. therefore hm... he dies! < --- bye bye to relatives.

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 4th, '07, 04:44

That was her grandfather, and he died six years ago. =) Her father was in episode 1 at the wedding itself. I recall her mother telling him he walked too fast down the aisle. xD

Tatsuri

Post by Tatsuri » Jun 4th, '07, 05:01

Hahaha, so I'm not the only one who noticed that.
His face gave me the impression that he knows Rei may be unsure. And Rei's smiled looked kinda forced at the end. At first she would smile easily and then give Ken one of those "if only, if only" looks. But this time it took Tada while to smile after the unsure look but Rei's smile was slower then usual, then came her "if only if only" look that seemed to changed
I'm guessing Mikio knew that Ken liked Rei at that time. Ken did as Mikio if he got the King stick to say for Rei and Ken to go into the hall alone. And he was standing, wekk sitting, next to Ken the entire time so I'm sure he heard when Ken said "Are you serious?" in in pissed off way, after Tada confessed and Ken sudden depression after that.

What more does Rei want? I understand she Ken giving off mixed signals but when they were playng with the water ballons and Ken said if he hits it on the first try to go out with him, you think she would have at least thought about it. She knows Ken best right? So shouldn't she know how hard it must of been for Ken to say that with a serious face. She asked for a real confession. What is a real confession to her? Is it what Tada did? She confuses me.

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Jun 4th, '07, 05:54

pwner4once, if you watch episode 1 over again thats her dad and mom, they're alive and kicking just fine, the other person you mentioned was her grandfather.

I only ask because I like the actor and actress who plays her parents, I've seen them in many other series. I figured they would of been more in the show (you know an occasional scene or two where Rei is at home and her parents are like "hey I like that Ken guy, or something lol, guess not.

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 4th, '07, 06:02

lol Does anyone know who plays Socrates? I don't see him listed on the DramaWiki page.

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jun 4th, '07, 07:13

@ gorahgurl - his name's shigeto nezu. :D

theJade

Post by theJade » Jun 4th, '07, 08:19

@ joeboygo

I fully agree with your argument with regards to Ken seemingly sending mixed signals to Rei. Just as how Ken had no idea...

Spoiler ep. 7
what was going on when he jumped in while Rei and Tada declared their liking for Winter Sonata and not each other, simply because it was out of context...
Rei see's future Ken's proposals to her as a little out of context as well. As a viewer, we have the upperhand because we know exactly what he's up to and more importantly, we know he is time traveling. However, since Rei is accustomed to the slacker/lazy/goofball Ken, she probably views his declaration of affection attempts as him just goofing off. Therefore, to me at least, it makes sense why Rei hasn't taken his propsal attempts very seriously.

BTW, does anyone think Rei will find out Ken has been time traveling?

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Jun 4th, '07, 08:26

I hope she does. At least then she would stop thinking Ken is goofing around.

Maybe Ken should just leave a letter for his old goofy self to wake him up! Its Monday! I'm having the jitters thinking about Episode 8!

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » Jun 4th, '07, 09:01

Just about 3 more hours and episode 8 will air!
I hope beyond all hopes that when the gang goes to watch the first sunrise of the new year without Ken I hope that Rei feels really bad about Ken not coming along with everyone and she leaves the group to go and try to find Ken. Perhaps this is where the "all the time that we have spent together Ken doesn't understand a thing" scene that we are all regretting.
Anyways, I think I am going to watch some of the previous episodes to get me in the mood to watch episode 8!

BTW:
I don't think Mikio will be time-slipping with Ken this time or any other time. The 2007 Mikio figured out that Ken has been time-slipping however, if he is allowed to go back with Ken then there would be way too many plot holes to fill up in the last three episodes and then the drama would loose (to me at least) meaning.
Another question I got is this. Since Eri and Tsuru are now a couple (in 2007)when Ken time-slips this time are those two going to be dating? Because at t he end of episode 7 when Ken asked Eri and Tsuru if they are dating they said that we have been for a while.
Episode 8 is going to be very intresting. However, I believe we are not out of the dark tunnel yet.

iorirlsx

Post by iorirlsx » Jun 4th, '07, 09:35

Iwase Ken and Kusano Akira are same at one point.
They just can't say " Suki desu ! " to an ordinary girl :-(

fanaticgurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fanaticgurl » Jun 4th, '07, 12:01

PROPOSAL DAISAKUSEN FANLISTING IS UP!!

Please show your love and support by joining the fanlisting.
http://fan.pinkista.net/prodai

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » Jun 4th, '07, 12:01

Its on! Episode 8!

namie

Post by namie » Jun 4th, '07, 12:44

Is there anyone who knows any website to watch episode 8 in streaming? :goggle: :goggle:

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » Jun 4th, '07, 12:54

The fairy said this is the last hallelujah Chance? Is the series going to be this short?! I guess it will not be 11 episodes after all?

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Jun 4th, '07, 13:51

Graymouse wrote:
The fairy said this is the last hallelujah Chance? Is the series going to be this short?! I guess it will not be 11 episodes after all?
o_O wha!!! noooooo

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jun 4th, '07, 13:55

I had to get my priorities straight tonight:

Eagle VS Yaegashi fight was going on for the WBC title

and K-1 Dynamite!! from the US was right after (when プロダイ started)...

Oh wells, at least I was able to throw it onto the recorder...too much fun for one night.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » Jun 4th, '07, 14:39

@joe! (if your are still lurking) Tell me whatcha think of Ep 8.

Perhaps I miss-judged Tada. However, I still think a teacher/student relationship is disgusting!

Its over for Ken. I have come to a final conclusion after watching this eposode. Ken and Rei were never going to be together. I didn't want to believe it at first but after watching the previews for episode 9 I truely believe that Ken and Rei will not be together at the end of this. You have to remember what the fairy said in the very first epidsode about no regrets. That is what this whole drama is about. The drama not about Ken trying to get Rei its about Ken coming to terms with Rei being married to Tada and Ken not having any regrets.
The preview for episode 9 is the one that has the scene with Ken and Rei talking and Rei saying that in all these years that we have been together (this close) Ken doesn't understand a thing. Also Episode 9 is when Tada pops the question to Rei and she puts the engagement ring on her finger.
My Japanese isn't that fluent but I believe in episode 8 Tada understands how important of a person Ken is to his friends and to Rei. That is also what led me to believe that Ken will not be married to Rei at the end. Just because they stand together at the end of the closing credits isn't proof enough that they will be together however, I beleive that they finally learned to accept their situation.

Of course this is just my humble opinion![/spoiler]

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 4th, '07, 14:45

Aaah, I need to watch 8!!! I'll watch it RAW! xD I hope that's not true, though having no regrets is also something important.

You guys confused me though. Right after I finished 6 I came here, and some of you were calling the Fairy an Angel and I was like,"wtf?! An ANGEL comes into the show, too? It's getting a bit too supernatural!! >_< "