[Discussion] Proposal Daisakusen (Operation Love)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jun 4th, '07, 15:16

Agghhh... I had a nice long post going along, but my other tab froze up; what the hell?!

I'm going to spoil the whole episode in my post, so skip it if you want to be surprised.
Anyhows...

They jump right into new years as their pounding away on the Mochi... Ken talks to Mikio about time-slipping and is blown off. They go off to the bar and rag on Kenzo as he thinks DKNY is "Don't Knock New York."

Later, Mikio tells Rei to come on over since Kenzo has something special to tell her...

Ken hesitates and Rei just drops some bombs on him; she tells him that she's decided to start seeing Tada先生... That she's 20 and wants to find her new self. She's always loved Ken, but it's time to leave that version of herself behind.

If I were Ken, I would've just broken down right there...

But, he goes along as the group prepares for their Ghetto Kohaku... Sabuchan, Wada Akika, Tetsuda, and even Otsuka Ai make an appearance. They head back home and go to the trouble of making their own ToshiKoshi soba... and end up opting for the instant version. :P

The gang of 5 decide to go and do their annual ritual of watching the New Year's sunrise at the beach, but Kenzo bails (I can't blame him; he just had his world turned upside down).

So the Fantastic Four and Tada go off to the beach and Kenzo wanders the streets. While in the car, everyone starts to reminisce about Ken because everyone knows that "it's boring without Kenzo." Meanwhile, Ken runs into some kids carrying a "Don't Knock New York" bag (after having a few drinks and discovering that DKNY is the master's favorite brand) and heads off to score one.

Everyone gets out of the car and onto the beach and just don't feel right without Kenzo. Tada then talks about how easily he ended things of "growing up..." and then he mentions how jealous he is of the 5 of them and their relationship... Looks like their heading back... hell, they even bust out Ken's old HS MD mixtape.

Ken works on scoring the bag and FINALLY comes to the revelation that he loves Rei; he always has. After knocking out the last piece, he breaks down into tears... it took a while, but he has finally realized what matters in his life.

Anyhows, he scores the bag and heads home... Only the be surprised by his friends with a Happy New Year, once again. He proves that he isn't stupid and that "Don't Knock New York" exists... and of course, he gives it to Rei.

Right then, I just had a big ol' smile on my face. Ken goes off to the bathroom and my smile dies a sad death; Tada was waiting in the bathroom (the CACK).

They go off to the rooftop (instead of the beach) and catch the sunset; Rei shows of her new swag.

After returning back to the present, the old man appears and tells Ken "Damn, son... you had to choose the toughest road, didn't you?" It's his last chance... and he recollects a memory of Rei telling him "You just don't get it, Kenzo... you never have."

And that was pretty much their final falling out; no more Kenzo and Rei.

-----

Next week's preview shows what's going on, the proposal, the ring... and the overlying voice over of Ken telling Rei to marry him, instead.

-------------

Good stuff... Looks like we're heading towards the end... The next episode looks as though it may end with a cliff-hanger and lead us to a time-slip conclusion the following week, with the show finale after that...

I can't wait. :)
Not as eloquent as what I last tried to post, but it got the same message out. :P

Ahhh... you gotta love the emotional roller coaster.

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 4th, '07, 15:28

Aah I can't wait until I can torrent it!!! So Mikio doesn't go? That sucks, what's the point of him finding out? xD Also...

Why was he waiting in the BATHROOM? >_< Weirdo.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » Jun 4th, '07, 15:34

The soundtrack to this drama rocks!!

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Jun 4th, '07, 15:47

Graymouse wrote:
Its over for Ken. I have come to a final conclusion after watching this eposode. Ken and Rei were never going to be together. I didn't want to believe it at first but after watching the previews for episode 9 I truely believe that Ken and Rei will not be together at the end of this. You have to remember what the fairy said in the very first epidsode about no regrets. That is what this whole drama is about. The drama not about Ken trying to get Rei its about Ken coming to terms with Rei being married to Tada and Ken not having any regrets.

The preview for episode 9 is the one that has the scene with Ken and Rei talking and Rei saying that in all these years that we have been together (this close) Ken doesn't understand a thing. Also Episode 9 is when Tada pops the question to Rei and she puts the engagement ring on her finger.
I refuse to believe that. Maybe I am in denial. But if Episode 9 is the last time Ken goes back in time, and fails yet again, what is supposed to happen in Episode 10?
They can't possibly spend the whole of Episode 10 and 11 letting Ken come to terms that maybe Tada might be more suitable for Rei.

The previews for Episode 9 might be well like how previews for Episode 6,7 and 8 misled us. They show the horrible horrible past, but perhaps timeslip Ken does something to change that.

So I am suggesting that Episode 9 is the last time Ken timeslips. And this time he manages to stop the wedding, so he doesn't timeslip back to the wedding. Instead, Episode 10 shows how he and Tada "compete" in real time.

And I still firmly believe Ken will prevail in the end.

If Tada really marries Rei in the end, I'm going to shoot the writer.

jomo

Post by jomo » Jun 4th, '07, 16:09

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Jun 4th, '07, 16:34

kilaalaa wrote:
I refuse to believe that. Maybe I am in denial. But if Episode 9 is the last time Ken goes back in time, and fails yet again, what is supposed to happen in Episode 10?
They can't possibly spend the whole of Episode 10 and 11 letting Ken come to terms that maybe Tada might be more suitable for Rei.

The previews for Episode 9 might be well like how previews for Episode 6,7 and 8 misled us. They show the horrible horrible past, but perhaps timeslip Ken does something to change that.

So I am suggesting that Episode 9 is the last time Ken timeslips. And this time he manages to stop the wedding, so he doesn't timeslip back to the wedding. Instead, Episode 10 shows how he and Tada "compete" in real time.

And I still firmly believe Ken will prevail in the end.

If Tada really marries Rei in the end, I'm going to shoot the writer.
BE STRONG PEOPLE! If this turns out to be another one of those "coming to terms" kind of weepy-ass crap then the show will end with a wimper instead of a bang. That's not what the producers intend for the break-out romantic debut of Japan's two biggest young stars.

Also, such an ending isn't consistent with the structure of the series. If it's all about Ken letting go, then that would be THE climax, and we wouldn't see that until episode 10 or 11, because you cannot have more than one episode's worth of denoument or "falling action." Nobody will watch that. That the "letting go" scene is happening this early means that it's merely what writers call a "false ending." Remember what I said about night being darkest just before dawn? It makes the first flash of day break that much more brilliant. False endings are used to bring the audience mood down lower so when the story brings the mood back up, the rebound effect enhances the sense of exhilaration. Deeper valleys make for higher peaks. I predicted that the "Kenzo doesn't understand nuttin" scene is when he hits rock bottom. If it happens in episode 9, then there's no way to go but up in episodes 10, and yes, 11.

So if what graymouse and hikichan say about the preview is true, then I am convinced more than ever that Ken and Rei will be together in the end. I truly am. Very much so. No doubt about it. Otherwise it can only mean that...it can only mean that Japan hasn't fully learned the lessons of world war 2. Why else would they cause another day that will live in infamy? I hope somebody from the show reads this, because if Rei and Ken don't end up together, there's gonna be BIG TROUBLE! VERY VERY BIG TROUBLE!
Last edited by joeboygo on Jun 4th, '07, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » Jun 4th, '07, 16:45

The false ending would be kinda cool, it seems as if its leading there. But I feel Ken and Rei will be together because the present Ken is making his way into Rei's heart even more, through every time travel that happens. If the end is true that they dont end up together, then why make this drama? :glare:

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Jun 4th, '07, 17:20

@joeboygo: We need to set up a support group for Ken and Rei shippers! HAHA

I really hope your prediction comes true.
Scriptwriters are evil.
They're not going to let Ken successfully change the future with 1 remaining hallelujah chance. They're of course going to push it until its Ken's final final opportunity, where its really now or never, before they're going to let us at least see some light. Which is why I think Joeboygo's prediction is right, because it can't be darkness all the way until the end of the show. Or there would really be war.

And also, old Ken has always thought he had all the time in the world to confess to Rei. Now, knowing that he has only 1 hallelujah chance left, perhaps he will be determined more than ever to confess to Rei in the way she wants. Please oh god no more of that stupid fate and missing each other plotline!

Yosei is yet more proof that this show is not just about no regrets. The Yosei is far too concerned with the outcome, and how Ken performs. Notice his exasperation in past episodes where he kind of scolds Ken for not doing anything, and how he looked genuinely disappointed in Episode 7. If he was only here to give Ken a second chance at doing things, then he wouldn't really be interested in the outcome. After all, "no regrets" is not about the outcome, but rather the fact that you get to redo things.

Did Rei see the "Ken's best" words on the MD cover? I think she didn't, but I wish she did.

And did anyone else cry watching this episode? I teared when I saw Ken all forlorn and standing alone outside the car, and continued tearing until Tada jumped out the toilet, when my reaction was WTF?!?! Seriously Tada is pointless in this episode and also in their group.

Okay heres the end of my rant. And yet another week of waiting. Sigh.

kevinamadeus

Post by kevinamadeus » Jun 4th, '07, 18:18

if ep9 is the last CHANCE....what will be in ep10 and 11?
1)after ep9 Ken return to present and the wedding is stopped, Ken will have to act in present
2)the last chance is long enough to be covered by 2 to 3 episodes...... :scratch:
3)Ken knocks off the camera so he will continue to live in the past :mrgreen:

just my little thought :whistling:

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 4th, '07, 18:33

I've always wondered what would happen if he knocked over the camera or turned it off. Like in when Tada confessed to Rei and Ken and pissed off, and they posed for the camera, I kept going in my head,"Knock the camera over!!"

kevinamadeus

Post by kevinamadeus » Jun 4th, '07, 18:42

abt the last sentence in ep9 preview...
the last sentence ken said seems to be talking to himself only

eUxaZnxRo

Post by eUxaZnxRo » Jun 4th, '07, 22:22

episode 8

ken
i can totally understand why he didn't want to go to the beach with the gang... after rei said she wants to move on with tada, i would be the same. i'm glad that they did come back for him though. for me, this episode allowed for ken to mature. although he had to time to mature, he did only a little and not to the standard that rei was looking for. even tuxedo-ken is not at the level that past-rei would like. but while in the batting cage, ken came finally to the point of clarity and maturity. by maturity i mean that he finally has his goals in sight. he knows that he's running out of time to confess to rei and that it might even be late already. being a fellow procrastinator, i know that i always need that feeling of pressure to finally get things done. the fairy telling ken that he only has one final time-slip, could be the pressure factor that ken needs to finally have the balls to confess to rei. up to this point, he's been the same immature ken that he always was; thinking that rei would always be by his side and that he could confess to her when the time is right. even episodes 1-7, this has been his same attitude. not anymore, sire. he finally has come to maturity and now knows that he needs to step up and stop the proposal from tada. ken, FIGHTING!
kenXgang
ken not going to the beach with everyone, allowed the group to miss him. mikio, tsuru and eri think it's not as lively and miss ken only on a friendship level. rei, on the other, noticed that because ken has always been by her side, she was never able to miss him. she doesn't know the feeling of being without ken ever since she moved in primary 3. ken has become just like a body part and without him, she's not functioning properly. this just suggests to her, that although she's partially moving on with tada, a bigger part is still missing and needing ken. this bigger part will most likely not be replaced by tada, even after they spend the same amount of time together as ken and rei did. even though she misses and needs ken, it doesn't mean that she will not go out with tada. the reason could be that whatever she may feel for tada -may it be little or a little more- he will give her those feelings back times 10. at least with tada, her emotions are not wasted. ken being m.i.a. could mean several things for tada. even though he has been with the group for roughly 3 years, it's very doubtful that they would do the same for him ('screw the beach. let's go back to find tada!'... not likely to happen). being the newbie in the group, tada has to feel somewhat insecure about his being there. [this is a good time for them to kick him out of the group and ruin his chances with rei] but due to rei, he continues to be by her side and views the group's acceptance of his presence as a sign of approval of their possible relationship. tada also knows that ken has a greater meaning towards the group, especially rei. the way she was talking about ken during the car ride to the beach made tada seem a little bit nervous. maybe -a big maybe due to him being a dork and semi-dense at times- he will start to understand that he cannot replace ken in rei's heart.
extras... my favorite parts
marathon runner is back!!! hooray :cheers: poor tsuru for being pushed by him. itoh-sensei as the cross-dresser was a little bit scary though... anyone notice has high his slit was? damn! socrates' singing was just hilarious
preview
the proposal already? and the famous "you never understood" scene... when are things going to turn around for ken? it also looks like eri and tsuru getting closer... are mikio and his girlfriend back together? (warning: spinning ahead) and if this preview includes scenes from the past, maybe ken will able to stop tada from popping the question and not be late like in the original picture.

dudesterific

Post by dudesterific » Jun 4th, '07, 22:47

Its hard to imagine the whole of episode 10 and 11 being played out during the present. There has to be a way for Ken to time slip back again for at least episode 10.
I'm thinking another possible scenario on how events are going to play out is Ken, being only to do the time slip one more time, could change events in the past (stopping the proposal but the picture still takes place?) extending the slide show. But they still show Rei having the ring. Dammit, what are these sly writers thinking of.

LightningEmperor

Post by LightningEmperor » Jun 5th, '07, 00:10

quote = Graymouse
Its over for Ken. I have come to a final conclusion after watching this eposode. Ken and Rei were never going to be together. I didn't want to believe it at first but after watching the previews for episode 9 I truely believe that Ken and Rei will not be together at the end of this. You have to remember what the fairy said in the very first epidsode about no regrets. That is what this whole drama is about. The drama not about Ken trying to get Rei its about Ken coming to terms with Rei being married to Tada and Ken not having any regrets.

The preview for episode 9 is the one that has the scene with Ken and Rei talking and Rei saying that in all these years that we have been together (this close) Ken doesn't understand a thing. Also Episode 9 is when Tada pops the question to Rei and she puts the engagement ring on her finger.

My Japanese isn't that fluent but I believe in episode 8 Tada understands how important of a person Ken is to his friends and to Rei. That is also what led me to believe that Ken will not be married to Rei at the end. Just because they stand together at the end of the closing credits isn't proof enough that they will be together however, I beleive that they finally learned to accept their situation.

That's also what I think is going to happen. Another evidence supporting that would be in ep. 1 where the fairy says something about its better to marry the person you love 2nd best rather than the person you love the most. I don't want it to end that way because that'll just kill me. This drama relates to me in so many ways that I want it to be a happy ending. But from what I'm seeing, it's not going to be that way.
:-(

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » Jun 5th, '07, 01:16

It'll be a happy ending. They have been setting it up at one, I think they will follow through.

did anyone else cry through this episode?

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jun 5th, '07, 01:49

will make this short, cause you know hehehe

@ goddess carlie - *raises hands really high* gah i hated it how i was going all emo at THE tearjerker scene... them my mom comes storming in saying i should go cook already ><.

okay, the preview:
okay, my hunch is that of course, even if it IS the last photo, you have to admit, i dont think next weeks will be the last timeslip. cause 1) Rei seemed very adamant about ending up with Tada (just my opinion though) 2) Ken didn't get there to stop them in time, cause as we could see, in the "Kenzo doesnt understand" scene, Rei's hair's already flat, whereas it had waves during the dinner, and i have a feeling Rei wont change her mind quickly if kenzo does say the "marry me instead!" line, cause, of course, any girl would feel like they're being unfair to the guy who just proposed. and *this one really cracked me up* 3) Notice the yosei. HE WAS PUSHING A CART WIITH THIS HUGE SILVER PLATTER. Which we can only INFER that it could contain MORE h'ors d'oeuvres.. but what else could it contain, right?!?! hahaha

i hope the weeks fly by, cause i really want to see how the writers wrap this one up. it's all very confusing right now (and i am not even a bit convinced yet as to why Rei fell for Tada... i mean, they have to show more reason to back up why their relationship should exist AT ALL.. but this is a drama all about subtleties, so i guess that holding hands thing Tada did *which was so uncharacteristic of his character damn it* has to do for now), so, oh well...
okay, it wasnt short T.T off to work again...

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Jun 5th, '07, 02:34

Yeah, get back to the kitchen, you. :D

The reason Rei chose Tada? The same reason some people here are mentally preparing for a Rei + Tada ending: fear of diappointment. If you don't want to get disappointed, lower your expectations. Better yet, expect the worst. That way you won't get devastated no matter how bad things turn out. In other words, play it safe.

Tada is the ultimate safe bet. He has the personality of raw tofu. How can something taste bad if it has no taste at all? Tada is not exciting but he's reliable and predictable. Zero excitement means zero disappointment. Unfortunately, it also means zero fulfillment. That's the trade-off. Ken may set Rei's heart pounding, but he's let her down so often before. We saw in episode 6 just how devastating it could have been for her if he did not respond to her love declaration appropriately. And she's right in a way, because past Ken would probably have let her down in the worst way. We know future Ken will take tender loving care of her, but how could she possibly know he's on his way?

Also, In episode 5, jiji and Tada gave us clues as to why Rei would forsake Ken and marry the second fiddle: Rei does not like to show weakness to others, and beneath the tough exterior lshe's very vulnerable inside. A love confession is the ultimate in exposing one's vulnerable insides to potential hurt. So Rei chose the person she loves only second best, if she even loves him at all. She's marrying Tada to play it safe.

Unfortunately, turning off Rei's feelings for Ken isn't as simple as twisting a spigot. It's so obvious from the way she's been stealing furtive glances at him in almost every episode that she still loves him. She's probably also marrying Tada as a way to help her get over Ken. These are all the wrong reasons to marry anybody.

So that's why Rei should not be allowed to marry Tada. It's not fair to Tada. So come on Ken, save Tada from this injustice. Get Rei. Do it for Tada.

Please.

eUxaZnxRo

Post by eUxaZnxRo » Jun 5th, '07, 03:15

joeboygo wrote:Tada is the ultimate safe bet. He has the personality of raw tofu. How can something taste bad if it has no taste at all?
tofu will never be the same for me :lol :w00t: maybe i shall have tofu tomorrow after having ramen for dinner [why does watching dramas make me crave the same food they are eating??]

lilsh0rtnancy

Post by lilsh0rtnancy » Jun 5th, '07, 03:36

Someone mentioned this, but an ending about Ken not regretting letting Rei go just sucks. Rei and Ken has to end up together if not, this whole time-slipping thing was a waste because (1) both of them did not confess, so obviously they're not over it because how can get over something you gave up on? (2) the fairy said in the first ep. that Rei said marrying the 2nd person you love most is better than marrying the first person, so obviously Tada-san was her second choice (3) BOTH will still have regrets! It's no longer just Ken anymore. From the glances that Rei gives Ken, we can tell that she has her share of regrets too.

Right now the person who can change the future is most likely Rei. Rei can either settle w/ Tada-san and not risk showing her vulnerable side or she can lay her feelings on the line (which she has yet to do!) and tell Ken. Otherwise, I have no idea how Ken can makeup for those lost times where he could've confessed, but didn't and lost to Tada-san.

AfricanBean

Post by AfricanBean » Jun 5th, '07, 03:49

joeboygo wrote:He has the personality of raw tofu.
I believe you hit the nail on the head rather eloquently, joeboygo. The tofu comparison made me giggle for while. :D

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Jun 5th, '07, 04:36

This show is sooo unpredictable! We can only wait and see :lol
I liked ep8 a lot. At last, Ken seem to realize how much he loved Rei. Choosing the "hardest path" instead of running away :thumleft:

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Jun 5th, '07, 05:26

Episode 8 garnered a 19.1% audience rating. :O

Who was it that thought the Japanese didn't like sad episodes? I'm too lazy to go over the whole thread, but I vaguely recall her name began with an l and ended with an n. Anyway, if anybody remembers who she was, please tell her she was sooo wrong, as in mali. The ratings indicate the Japanese love sad episodes mucho. If these ratings are anything to go by, then I humbly predict that episode 9 (Ken's nadir) will score above 20%, and episode 11 will score a zero because Ken and Rei will be together and those tragedy-loving Japanese are going to hate it.

belleza

Post by belleza » Jun 5th, '07, 06:54

Raw tofu is quite good btw. Mild, nourishing, and when fresh, gently sweet. Kinda like how Tada/Fujita Naohito is with confused, confused Rei. :D

Fun reading the comments though . . . Just reading how the men are identifying with Ken with fangirl zeal shows how ProDai is a romance series uniquely written for the guys, and that's bloody rare in J-drama. When you think about it, the Angel is like a divine wingman giving Ken sage, but ultimately useless advice, on getting the girl. Love is a baseball game, and Ken's gotta hit a slam. Cheers.
If this turns out to be another one of those "coming to terms" kind of weepy-ass crap then the show will end with a wimper instead of a bang. That's not what the producers intend for the break-out romantic debut of Japan's two biggest young stars.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I'm not really that interested in who Rei pick , because I KNOW Rei will pick Ken. Why? Because this is Yamashita Tomahisa's first true romantic role, and Mr. Johnny will insist that Yamapi be subject to the Kimataku rules. Meaning . . . the only thing that'll defeat Yamapi is death, death, and/or a member of Kat-Tun. If Rei chooses Yamapi, the Yamapi-kai will hate her. But if Rei chooses Tada, the Yamapi-kai will hurt her. ;)

I feel bad for Tada, though. Couldn't Cameron help this Architect of Love out?

Really loving this soundtrack. And it would be wonderful if maybe they'd insert something like Hey Jude in the finale.

Luwesa

Post by Luwesa » Jun 5th, '07, 06:57

hi. i'm new to the forum but i've been watching this drama and i love it v. much! =)
belleza wrote:Raw tofu is quite good btw. Mild, nourishing, and when fresh, gently sweet. Kinda like how Tada/Fujita Naohito is with confused, confused Rei. :D

Fun reading the comments though . . . Just reading how the men are identifying with Ken with fangirl zeal shows how ProDai is a romance series uniquely written for the guys, and that's bloody rare in J-drama. When you think about it, the Angel is like a divine wingman giving Ken sage, but ultimately useless advice, on getting the girl. Love is a baseball game, and Ken's gotta hit a slam. Cheers.
If this turns out to be another one of those "coming to terms" kind of weepy-ass crap then the show will end with a wimper instead of a bang. That's not what the producers intend for the break-out romantic debut of Japan's two biggest young stars.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I'm not really that interested in who Rei pick , because I KNOW Rei will pick Ken. Why? Because this is Yamashita Tomahisa's first true romantic role, and Mr. Johnny will insist that Yamapi be subject to the Kimataku rules. Meaning . . . the only thing that'll defeat Yamapi is death, death, and/or a member of Kat-Tun. If Rei chooses Yamapi, the Yamapi-kai will hate her. But if Rei chooses Tada, the Yamapi-kai will hurt her. ;)

I feel bad for Tada, though. Couldn't Cameron help this Architect of Love out?

Really loving this soundtrack. And it would be wonderful if maybe they'd insert something like Hey Jude in the finale.
lol. the part about Kattun made me actually LOL.

was this show based on a manga?

belleza

Post by belleza » Jun 5th, '07, 07:18

In my ideal J-dorama, I would cast Yamapi, Jin, Masami, and Sawajiri. And I would call it "Battle Royale 3: Best Friends Forever! " ;) :D
was this show based on a manga?
Oddly enough, no. Many of the dramas this season feel like anime-manga adaptations, though. I kinda feel like this season was just the appetizer for summer's Hana Kimi madness. School's out, and Maki gets to be a boy! woohoo!!!

ena

Post by ena » Jun 5th, '07, 08:59

Joining Ken+Rei=HAPPY ENDING camp!!
I wonder where I have seen the spoiler... but if I recall it correctly, by going back and forth in time, Ken is able to make Tsuru and Eri together, and at the end the wedding couple will be changed to Tsuru and Eri... Yokatta janai... That way he will be able to propose to Rei and has his happy ending.. kanaa.. Anyways, please please please don't let it be the sad ending!!!!!!!!

SmiLeeGirl

Post by SmiLeeGirl » Jun 5th, '07, 09:25

I agree!!! :thumright: Thanks to all of you who are keeping up my hopes with your postive theories and plot pacing measures...

If it turns out to be a no regrets kinda thing I think I might not have the stomach to finish it... I have both feet firmly in the "cinderella, feel-good, totally predictable" ending camp. I am still rooting for the "Tada getts married to someone else" scenerio ... looks like it isn't gonna happen.
Meaning . . . the only thing that'll defeat Yamapi is death, death, and/or a member of Kat-Tun.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

That is hillarious!!! And possibly the funniest comment I have read of late

PS. Has Kimura Takuya ever not gotten the girl?

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » Jun 5th, '07, 10:22

It'll definitely be a good ending. I say this because it's what the show is setting it up to be.
Things are really bad now because that's what makes it a good story. A good story has the absolute worst happen to the characters. It's doesn't just rain on characters, it should hail. And once it's hailed, the earth is going to open up from under them. And it'll seem like it's impossible to win. Which makes the win all the better.

It's too easy for Ken to have confessed in High School - they would have gotten together and everything would have been sweet. No, we need Rei to be all the way to engaged and ready to be married - like all hope is lost - and then something will happen, and Ken and Rei will be together at last.

This is why I think this will be one of my favourite dramas ever. It has a killer story line - I think it's doing everything just right. I only wish the time would go faster.(real life time, not in story time - I want to see the next episode dammit!)
edit: Oh, and I'm glad Mikio is getting a bit more of a role in this. Really he seemed a bit like he was on the sidelines. Tsuru is the monkey/goof ball, Eri is always talking to Rei - where as Mikio, we have the girlfriend thing but we really don't get to see much about him. So it's good that he has a bit more of an active role. (he's pretty hot too)

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 5th, '07, 12:10

Yup, I'm loving Mikio. Just now woke up to see ep. 8 done on BT, so I'll be watching it soon. =3 Can't wait! My first RAW experience! =D

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jun 5th, '07, 13:00

joeboygo wrote:Episode 8 garnered a 19.1% audience rating. :O

Who was it that thought the Japanese didn't like sad episodes? I'm too lazy to go over the whole thread, but I vaguely recall her name began with an l and ended with an n. Anyway, if anybody remembers who she was, please tell her she was sooo wrong, as in mali. The ratings indicate the Japanese love sad episodes mucho. If these ratings are anything to go by, then I humbly predict that episode 9 (Ken's nadir) will score above 20%, and episode 11 will score a zero because Ken and Rei will be together and those tragedy-loving Japanese are going to hate it.
:lol :lol :lol
*raises hands real high*
*love your sarcasm my fellow filipino friend... XD XD mali nga talaga ako! XD*

hahaha i was surprised myself! i was like WTF aahaha, but in a good way of course, cause I'd like ProDai to have insanely high ratings too... but then when i look back, maybe cause ep 7 was a lot lighter fare than ep 6, that's why ep 8's ratings went up. ep 8 was depressing, yes, but i think ep 9's ratings will increase more cause the dear leading man cried. i think that's enough reason (as well as the Yosei's indignant screaming) to alert the fangirls XD XD XD

>okay i better go back to translating ehehe see you in a few days<

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jun 5th, '07, 14:00

belleza wrote:
In my ideal J-dorama, I would cast Yamapi, Jin, Masami, and Sawajiri. And I would call it "Battle Royale 3: Best Friends Forever! " ;) :D
Yeah, but we know how that would go. Jin would kill Yamapi and Masami while they were arguing who should die for the other and off himself to save Sawajiri. But Sawajiri would die of an obscure illness. so nobody survives :lol

No_Moon

Post by No_Moon » Jun 5th, '07, 14:04

joeboygo wrote:Episode 8 garnered a 19.1% audience rating. :O

Hehe that was great. Yeah, I am with you on that one, joeboygo. Judging on how Karei Naru Ichizoku ended, as well as Ichiritoru no Namida and Sekai no Chuushin ni Ai wo Sakebu and the ratings, I would tend to think the opposite is true. And what about Beautiful Life? :P

But I'm getting away from my point, which was that I agree totally. Johnny's jimu will either have the Johnny's actor's character killed off or no one gets the girl (cough Nobuta cough). Can anyone think of an example to the contrary? :unsure:

Still rooting for Ken... if Ken can get Rei back, then I promise not to lose hope that I will be able to win the love of my life back as well. :wub:

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Jun 5th, '07, 17:27

Episode 9 Preview Spoiler:
ついにスライドショーの写真が最後の一枚になった。礼(长泽まさみ)が多田(藤木直人)のプロポーズを受けた当日の写真だ。健(山下智久)は最後のチャンスに赌けるため过去のその日に戻った。 そのとき健は新入社员。ホワイトボードの売り込みのため、上司の安田(小仓久寛)とともに企业を回って営业していた。健は大学にいる礼に电话して会いに行くことを告げるが、小なかなか契约が取れず、仕事を抜け出すことができない。 そのころ、多田は礼を诱い、思い出の场所を访れていた。そして、彼女にプロポーズをする。惊く礼。 健が大学の研究室に駆けつけると、礼はすでに出て しまった後だった。そこで多田から「礼にプロポーズした」と闻いた健は走り出し、礼を追いかけた。

婚礼上的幻灯片已经放映到最后一张照片。但那是礼接受多田求婚的当天的照片。 健决定赌上这最后的机会,时空穿越去了那一天。那时候健已经是会社的新员工。因为干推销吃白板,和上司安田一起被分配到企业工作。 健给礼打了电话要去见面,想跟上司告个假,但因为同会社的合同迟迟未签,在这个关口也不能偷偷地溜出去。那时候多田和礼在一起,多田刻意带着礼去有2人共同回忆的地方,然后,向她求婚。 礼感到很吃惊。健赶到大学研究室的时候,礼已经离开了。 健从多田那儿听说:“向礼求婚了!”健没命的跑,想追上礼……

Again, translated from the Chinese version. And also, I went to check the official website, and this line is not in the website: "そして、彼女にプロポーズをする。惊く礼。 健が大学の研究室に駆けつけると、礼はすでに出て しまった後だった。そこで多田から「礼にプロポーズした」と闻いた健は走り出し、礼を追いかけた。" So, I don't know whether this part is real or invented by fans, but I will include the translation in anyway.

I'm very demoralised reading the summary, so this is a simplified summary? HAHA

Ken timeslips to the final picture in the slideshow: The picture of the day Tada proposed to Rei.

At that time, Ken is already an employee in a company. He calls Rei to set up a time to meet her. However, because of stupid work related issues involving some contract signing, he can't leave to go and meet Rei.

While Ken is stuck with work stuff (damn you fate!), Tada brings Rei to a place full of memories. (of what?! I don't know!! Calculus?)

(The following translation includes that one line I talked about earlier in this post, so please read it with slight disbelief.)

And Tada proposes to her. Rei is surprised.

When Ken finally gets to the university lecture room (where they're supposed to meet I guess), Rei has already left. But Ken hears from Tada that he just proposed to Rei. Ken runs after Rei...

If the second part is real and not invented by fans, then perhaps Ken really still failed to stop Tada's proposal even after the timeslip. However, we have some hope in that in previews of Episode 8 it seemed very bleak, since the text previews ended with "Ken wanders the streets alone" but as we saw in Episode 8, this was actually for the better. So hopefully Ken manages to catch up to Rei and something nice will happen such as Tada being abducted by aliens.

And if the second part is fake, then I hope Ken manages to stop Tada's proposal, even after Tada brings Rei to their place filled with idunnowhat memories.

I think there may be Eri and Tsuru stuff in this episode. The website preview for Episode 8 was Mikio, and Mikio was a key figure in Episode 8. In Episode 9 website previews, the guy talking was Tsuru and he says something in Japanese about Eri and Tsuru? So I think there may be Eri and Tsuru action. Perhaps our only source of light in this episode I guess.

So yes, we are still in the darkest before the dawn. I will be strong. Yes I can do it!

belleza

Post by belleza » Jun 5th, '07, 18:14

Jin would kill Yamapi and Masami while they were arguing who should die for the other and off himself to save Sawajiri. But Sawajiri would die of an obscure illness. so nobody survives
Oh heh heh . . I was speaking more of the "beef" between NEWS and Kat-Tun, and between Masami and Ka-chan. Like seriously, hell will freeze over before those two girls end up on the same movie/show. Fujita Naohito should make a guest appearance just to make nice. One man's doctor is another's husband. Eww?
Johnny's jimu will either have the Johnny's actor's character killed off or no one gets the girl (cough Nobuta cough). Can anyone think of an example to the contrary?
But Akira did end up with the person he loved! :D

Bringing a JE boy together with a female actress (i.e. they "stay" together in the end) is a big transitional step for the actor. Johnny don't want to alienate that band's core audience; if the chemistry is actually good, the girls/netizens will go after the actress. But, at the same time, the big romantic role is when the Johnny Boy kinda graduates into being a Johnny Man (i.e. Nagase, Kimura) and bring in ratings by name alone.

In that way, ProDai is Yamapi's rite of passage. After this, he's kissing all the girls. ;)

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Jun 5th, '07, 18:19

^ Actually Jin and Yamapi are good friends, no? So your Battle Royale 3 could well become a good movie for fanservice once Masami and Erika are out of the way. HAHA

And also in Nobuta, Shuji (Kamenashi Kazuya) is from Kattun. So ah, THATS WHY Akira didn't get the girl in Nobuta! And only got her in Kurosagi where there was no Kattun member?

Belleza your analysis is astute! XD

IndieRockerette

Post by IndieRockerette » Jun 5th, '07, 19:40

belleza wrote: Oh heh heh . . I was speaking more of the "beef" between NEWS and Kat-Tun, and between Masami and Ka-chan. Like seriously, hell will freeze over before those two girls end up on the same movie/show. Fujita Naohito should make a guest appearance just to make nice. One man's doctor is another's husband. Eww?
Masami and Erika don't like each other?! Where have I been because I had nooo idea! If you don't mind explaining, can you please elaborate on their hate for each other? Haha you got me curious now.
belleza wrote: But Akira did end up with the person he loved! :D

Bringing a JE boy together with a female actress (i.e. they "stay" together in the end) is a big transitional step for the actor. Johnny don't want to alienate that band's core audience; if the chemistry is actually good, the girls/netizens will go after the actress. But, at the same time, the big romantic role is when the Johnny Boy kinda graduates into being a Johnny Man (i.e. Nagase, Kimura) and bring in ratings by name alone.

In that way, ProDai is Yamapi's rite of passage. After this, he's kissing all the girls. ;)
Ahhh yes! I just love it when he gets the girl! I love how he's lead now. I don't like watching when he's not in a scene.. he needs to be in every scene so I can stare and drool :lol !

belleza

Post by belleza » Jun 5th, '07, 20:43

Masami and Erika don't like each other?! Where have I been because I had nooo idea! If you don't mind explaining, can you please elaborate on their hate for each other? Haha you got me curious now.
Yeah, this goes back to the infamous Sawajiri-kai. Erika is gangsta!!!

http://choscandalous.blogspot.com/2007/ ... -wild.html

(Great site BTW, unless you're a Ayu/Kudi Koma/Kat-tun fan . . . )

I love it -- this is the best turf war since Hikki vs. Ayu. Masami and Erika -- or, rather, their agencies -- have been kinda building this rivalry for the past year. On another board, earlier this year, I've actually seen a heated debate between fans of both camps giving it ago.

It's hard to convey here because most people here know Erika, but are just getting introduced to Masami. But both of them kinda arrived onto the scene around the same time, and have had similar careers. Masami is the queen of junai; Erika is the queen of the tearjerker. I'd love to see Pi with Erika in a drama. Rumor mill will go ape sheezy with that! :D

BTW, happy late 20th B-day (June 3th) to Masami. She's officially come of age into adulthood proper. Hope that girl gets some sleep soon; those bags under under her eyes under her wrinkly cheeks are making her look closer to 30. Yikes.
Actually Jin and Yamapi are good friends, no?
If you look around, there's a variety show clip involving the idols from Liar Game, Hanayome, and Prodai. At one point, Junno of Kat-tun teased Tomahisa by calling him by his nickname "Yamapi" . . . and Yamapi was visibily agitated. Okay, more like, P was pissed. Ah, entertainment.

I know that there was a supposed rivalry between NEWS and Kat-tun, but it seemed to center between Ryo and Ueda. I know the hardcore NEWS fans can verify this. I'm more intrigued with Ryo calling Erika "sama." LOLOL :D

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » Jun 5th, '07, 20:52

lol rumors would go crazy if a drama with yamapi and erika were in it together. I just dont get how they dont like each other?

microsoftExcelExcel

Post by microsoftExcelExcel » Jun 5th, '07, 20:57

I think the whole Masami versus Erika thing is just a rumor. Anyway, I heard about it from choscandalous, which is kinda like a perez hilton website except it's all about asians and not as popular. anyway, apparently, Masami gave Erika a dirty look during some award show, and the two have been fighting since.

I'm pretty sure the Japanese love sad stories. I mean they gave us "Grave of the Fireflies" and "One Litre of Tears." So why not? I just hope that ProDai gets a good ending. Also, I think dramas based on mangas have been around for the longest time. Although my first one was Kimi wa Pet, which now feels like it was released decades ago. I mean, if they really want wacky stories why not just borrow some from mangas instead of going through all the troubles of coming up with a new one? HYD was a huge success, and so was Goong even though it's Korean.

belleza

Post by belleza » Jun 5th, '07, 21:05

Sad stories are popular in pretty much among the entire female audience of Asia. Tearjerker melodramas used to be popular, esp. in the 50s and 60s, in the United States and UK. And, so, a lot of the tearjerker movies you see in Korea and Japan are really old-fashioned throwbacks to classic stories like Love Story, Splendor in the Grass, and Dr. Zhivago.

I'm not sure where this leaves the men, though. Most of the guys have complained about their girlfriends and wives falling in love with Yon-sama and, in Korea, "Daniel Oppa."
lol rumors would go crazy if a drama with yamapi and erika were in it together. I just dont get how they dont like each other?
From the rumor mill, Erika's really tight with JE boys, esp. with the NEWS crew (i.e. Ryo.) Also I've read that a lot of their fans stopped liking her for that reason. So casting a drama between her and the leader of NEWS . . . well, you know. ;)
Anyway, I heard about it from choscandalous, which is kinda like a perez hilton website except it's all about asians and not as popular.
Honestly, I think a lot of it was manufactured by their agencies, since both are vying for top starlet. Apparently there was some other stuff that went along with it, but hey . . .
Last edited by belleza on Jun 5th, '07, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

microsoftExcelExcel

Post by microsoftExcelExcel » Jun 5th, '07, 21:06

This board moves really fast.
And, I sure take forever typing... <_<

Another thing on the rivalry, the Ueda and Ryo rivalry were staged by Johnny I believe.

belleza

Post by belleza » Jun 5th, '07, 21:19

Another thing on the rivalry, the Ueda and Ryo rivalry were staged by Johnny I believe.
Yeah, I read that too. Something like, it was staged, but then Ryo kinda took it too far. Eh? I swear, those Johnny boys are such b!tches! :D
Also, I think dramas based on mangas have been around for the longest time.
Yeah, a lot of the girl/young lady comics get adapted into teen/idol J-dramas. The guy comics adaptations are okay, but it usually means you'll have underdeveloped female leads where no real romance happens. Thus -- Dragon Zakura, Kurosagi and probably Liar Game. It's fairly cheap to make, and it has a built-in audience. Asahi TV station seems dominated by this stuff.

microsoftExcelExcel

Post by microsoftExcelExcel » Jun 5th, '07, 21:50

Leave it to Ryo to take things too far. I believe a bandmate of his gave him a nickname that translates to "sharp-tongued." I feel for Ueda. He really looks like a lost boy surrounded by crazy johnnies.

Before I go completely off topic, even if ProDai does turn out to be Yamapi's right of passage into the romance world, thus turning him into the next KimuTaku, I still doubt that this drama will have a happy ending just because it seems very unlikely for me. I've yet to see episode 7/8 so I could be wrong. But by the way things look, I think it will have a good ending but not a happy one. In other words, yamapi will probably change something but it won't be enough just a thought. I hope things turn out well for him cause I really hate sad stories.

yamapinku-rabu

Post by yamapinku-rabu » Jun 5th, '07, 23:11

But Akira did end up with the person he loved! Big Smile

wahaha akira did end up with shuji! :lol :lol

uh... i don't think i'll ever be ready with pi kissing all the girls XD LOL

i'm happy for him he's graduating? haha!

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 5th, '07, 23:26

It hurt to see Kame and Jin kiss someone. =( -tear- As for Pi..it'd be like getting pummeled in the head by a hammer and heart a thousand times. I really respect Pi for going to university, god knows what was on his plate with JE and university. Though that rumor about him cheating hurts me. -places hand over heart- He'd never...

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Jun 6th, '07, 00:41

belleza wrote: If you look around, there's a variety show clip involving the idols from Liar Game, Hanayome, and Prodai. At one point, Junno of Kat-tun teased Tomahisa by calling him by his nickname "Yamapi" . . . and Yamapi was visibily agitated. Okay, more like, P was pissed. Ah, entertainment.

I know that there was a supposed rivalry between NEWS and Kat-tun, but it seemed to center between Ryo and Ueda. I know the hardcore NEWS fans can verify this. I'm more intrigued with Ryo calling Erika "sama." LOLOL :D
Nah but more than the "rivalry" between NEWS and Kat-tun, Yamapi and Jin are really really good friends. I want to see a movie between them too!

Okay we seem to have deviated from the topic haha!

About Episode 8:
That part where Rei said to Ken that she was going to date Tada. She said something about how she used to like Ken and blah blah something and how she realised the "old" her who couldn't confess her feelings to Ken, was just simply running away from the issue. And Rei also continued to say thats why this time I will not run away from Tada and will seriously accept Tada.

WTF! That is the most lame thing ever. It reeks of "KEN KEN COME LOOK AT ME! STOP ME FROM DATING TADA!" I'm sure she was uber disappointed when stupid Ken didn't say anything. SIGH!

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » Jun 6th, '07, 00:54

That makes sense...

lilsh0rtnancy

Post by lilsh0rtnancy » Jun 6th, '07, 01:57

belleza wrote:
Actually Jin and Yamapi are good friends, no?
If you look around, there's a variety show clip involving the idols from Liar Game, Hanayome, and Prodai. At one point, Junno of Kat-tun teased Tomahisa by calling him by his nickname "Yamapi" . . . and Yamapi was visibily agitated. Okay, more like, P was pissed. Ah, entertainment.

I don't think there's a rivalry between NEWS & KAT-TUN just because their image are so different. NEWS= cute University students, KAT-TUN= AKAME sexy

I saw that competition between Pi & Taguchi! They were playing boxing on Wii! Man, Yamapi looked HOT :wub:! I like his style nowadays. Jeans, a cool inside T-shirt, and a nice jacket.
Oh yah, I read that Pi was irritated because Nakai (host) asked who the senpai was and Yamapi said he was. Then they asked how they addressed each other, Yamapi said "Taguchi" and Taguchi said "Yamapi". Since Taguchi is the kouhai he should've addressed Yamapi more respectfully, especially on live television AND Yamapi said that Taguchi has never addressed him as Yamapi before, so he was shocked.

unkei

Post by unkei » Jun 6th, '07, 03:37

yamapi is quite a real-life character. when you see him on various tv shows or interacting with his fans, he is the epitome of respect. but when he's with his fellow johnny's (who aren't below him in the hierarchy), especially news, he can be one mean ****. only he manages to pull it off with charisma. what is attractive about yamapi's personality is that it just doesn't have that staged feeling to it. you feel like it's really him.

on episode 8:
episode 6 and 7 were inconceivably sad because of all of ken's lost chances. the blame, however, ultimately resides in him. episode 8 was the worst of the lot because there WERE no lost chances. there was really absolutely nothing ken could have done to fix the situation up, and the path he chose in the end was probably the most right thing he could have done. and i think it is probably this helplessness that has made everyone so pessimistic as to the final outcome.

i believe it is salvageable and episode 9 may very well be the turning point of the series. we finally see the one scene that has been replayed throughout the series re-enacted with real life ken. how will he handle it? the last words of the preview was ken's "don't marry him. marry me". hopefully he's saying it to the right person and at the right time.

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 6th, '07, 05:23

YamaPi? Mean? O.O

unkei

Post by unkei » Jun 6th, '07, 05:49

this would be the wrong thread to discuss it, but for completeness's sake, this would be a prime example (out of many) of yamapi's slightly abrasive personality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quxjk7d6wk4

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 6th, '07, 06:04

lol That was cute. xD How is that mean? Everyone messes around with their friends like that.
>.> Am not biased... <.<
Hm...I tried watching 8 RAW. 'Tis hard xD What did Ken and Mikio say to each other at the beginning before the title intro? I know he was trying to convince Mikio he was from the future, but that's all I got. =P

lilsh0rtnancy

Post by lilsh0rtnancy » Jun 6th, '07, 06:57

unkei wrote:this would be the wrong thread to discuss it, but for completeness's sake, this would be a prime example (out of many) of yamapi's slightly abrasive personality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quxjk7d6wk4
Ahaha... I loved that part! It just shows how much closer NEWS has gotten as a group, or rather how Yamapi feels more love for his members. Obviously they're playing around? And there's more clips like that from their BTS for Hoshi wo... Have you seen how abusive Kanjani8 members are? I wish NEWS was like that. LOL. Sounds crazy, but it just shows how comfortable they are around each other, well, that's the feeling I get when I watch stuff like that.

yamapinku-rabu

Post by yamapinku-rabu » Jun 6th, '07, 07:04

ahahaa that's hilarious! and koyama going tego tego!

meanie pi haha! but yeah they're just playing around. it's normal between close friends haha!
:lol :lol so cute!

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jun 6th, '07, 08:11

Gorahgurl wrote:
Hm...I tried watching 8 RAW. 'Tis hard xD What did Ken and Mikio say to each other at the beginning before the title intro? I know he was trying to convince Mikio he was from the future, but that's all I got. =P
basically, yeah he wasa trying to convince mikio, he was listing all the previous stuff he did which made future mikio suspicious, like the kitajima kousuke one and stuff which happens to mikio in the future. then yuuko, mikio's gf calls, and before he answers, ken says she is gonna propose to him. he answers the call and she does propose, he says he'll call her back and then asks if he's psychic. then ken says he said its due to time travel. :D

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » Jun 6th, '07, 08:59

Guys, I just want to voice my concerns about some stuff that happened and will happen.

I am 100% for Ken to be married to Rei at the end of this drama however, things do not look too good for the home team up to this point and after watching episode 8. It seems like we are in the bottom of the 9th, down by four, with the bases loaded with two outs and two strikes and no balls.
Episode 9 preview shows Tada proposing to Rei and obviously Rei accepts because the preview shows the ring on her finger and someone mentions that Ken makes a comment about "why are you marrying him? Marry me instead."

Now my question is this. If Rei and Ken were to get together at the end of this drama what in HELL happened between Rei and Tada for Rei to change her mind about getting married to the King of the Dorks? Something major is going to have to happen and I really can not see that happening. How lame will it be for Rei to back out of the engagment because of somelthing stupid like she FINALLY realized that she truely loved Ken. That would upset me because that would not be fair at all to Tada. I honestly believe that the writters are going to screw over Tada in the end. On top of that in episode 8 she said that she loved Ken but if she truely did why on earth would you go out with someone else? Did she want to taste all the flavors before she finally decided she truely likes strawberry? I mean I don't have to taste a lemon to know that it is a lemon. A womens heart is truely a mystery that Man can and never will solve.

Good luck to Ken in the final episodes and I hope that Tada realizes he doesn't belong in the group of friends. He even said so himself in a round about way saying that he was jealous of the closeness that the group has and it seemed he felt very unconfortable when Ken decided not to go to the watch the first sunrise of the new year.
Ken! Get er done!!!!

unkei

Post by unkei » Jun 6th, '07, 10:39

yeah obviously yamapi is playful mean. and people love him for it the way everyone loves ryo despite his 'poisonous tongue'.

graymouse:
don't you get the feeling that if ken were allowed to go back into the past again this time he would get things right?? i agree with you that there's no well-rounded way to end this UNLESS tada-san does something japanese-noble, like let rei go.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » Jun 6th, '07, 10:56

unkei wrote:yeah obviously yamapi is playful mean. and people love him for it the way everyone loves ryo despite his 'poisonous tongue'.

graymouse:
don't you get the feeling that if ken were allowed to go back into the past again this time he would get things right?? i agree with you that there's no well-rounded way to end this UNLESS tada-san does something japanese-noble, like let rei go.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think that would be a really stupid way to end this series. You know, now that I think about it that is probably going to be how this thing ends. Tada will be able to propose to Rei in the next episode and Ken will finally be at the bottom. Episode 10 will probably about helping those two plan their wedding and then in Episode 11 will be when Tada goes all noble and lets Rei go and thus Ken gets his long time childhood friend and everyone is happy..........I truely hope that it doesn't end like this because that would be the worst ending ever.

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Jun 6th, '07, 11:11

^
That would truly suck. Isn't this show named Proposal Daisakusen? Daisakusen right?! So it should be more about how Ken tries hard to win the girl back. And not how he gets the girl by luck.

And besides, I don't think Tada would do something noble despite how "innocent" he looks. But I really don't see any love between Tada and Rei. Really really don't see any. Even at the wedding.

And also I think if past Ken was that goofy and such a big difference from Timeslip Ken, perhaps the only way to win this war is for Timeslip Ken to fight in the present. That means maybe at Episode 9, he manages to stop the wedding between Tada and Rei, but he couldn't change the future enough to make it such that it was his and Rei's. And so maybe Ep 10 & 11 are how he fights in the so-called present time?

But then again, I have read somewhere on a chinese forum that Masami said that the only parts in the "present" time are the ones in the wedding, so....
But then again, Chinese fans are sometimes unreliable.

I'm very contradictory, no? HAHAHA XD

fujitak

Post by fujitak » Jun 6th, '07, 13:30

i think ep 6,7,8 and 9 that looked like failure for Ken change somethings in Rei heart. After every timeslip when Rei looks at Ken she is more and more confused. It's clear that the last and important Ken move that change the present will be in last episode. I think the realisator want to create the worste situation to Ken before the happy end.
Someone know if softsun for episode 8 are released ?

Thanks to all people working hard on this drama.

Graymouse

Post by Graymouse » Jun 6th, '07, 15:59

Once last comment for today.
In that scene when Mikio told Rei that Ken has something to tell her I am not sure if Rei really knew that she was ripping Ken's heart out of his chest and kicking it through the mud like a soccer ball with every word that she spoke. I truely felt sorry for Ken in that whole scene.

Rei seemed like she didn't really care what Ken felt because she just came out and said that she decided to date Tada because he is so striaghtforward with his love and that was a new concept to her. She then continued to grind the knife even deeper when she said that she loved him but she never was honest with her feelings up until after she tunred 20.

I don't blame Ken one bit for not wanting to be around Rei and Tada during the first sunrise of the New Year. What makes things worse it seems that Tada has an uncanny act of saying stupid things at the wrong time without any consideration of the people that is around him with the exception of Rei of course. Perhaps that is going to be Tada's downfall. There is such of a thing as being too straight forward with certain how should I say this.... sensitive issues.

Edit:

A thought just popped into my head! :idea: Perhaps Ken is going to get on Tada's last nerve because Rei is always talking about him and finally push Tada over the edge and he is going to say something really hurtful about Ken and its going to piss Rei off and she is going to see Tada's true colors behind that innocent fake facade of Mr. Perfect and realize that she made a mistake about abandoning Ken for such a looser as Tada. If that happens I would laugh so hard if Ken doesn't accept her back. Of course we all know that will never happen because I believe Ken will welcome her back with open arms.............
That would truely be a good ending for this series........yes? no?

I have much more to discuss but right now I am waaay to emotional to express these things the way they need to be expressed without having a hot head! :cussing: I know I must be strong but where is this light that everyone is talking about. It just seems that the night gets darker with every episode. I don't know how much more of this I can handle! :alcoholic:
Last edited by Graymouse on Jun 6th, '07, 16:15, edited 3 times in total.

Gorahgurl

Post by Gorahgurl » Jun 6th, '07, 16:02

I am STARTING to join the Hate Fanclub around her. Or at least this character. I know she knows Ken likes her, she just wants a "real confession". He made it painfully obvious how he feels, how stupid can Rei be? As for Tada...I still like him. He's a nice guy, but yes, he's dull. ^_^; I wonder what he'd do if he found out Ken's feelings for Rei and vice versa. He seems the type to do the nice thing and back away. -shrug-

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Jun 6th, '07, 16:24

@Graymouse
Thats a great story you've come up with. I want that to happen too!
And about the light at the end of the tunnel thing, I can relate to that too. I've been brainwashing myself everyday that yes yes things will be better after episode 9. LOL
@Gorahgurl
Tada is a confusing character. First, when he was a trainee teacher at Ken and Rei's high school, he caught on to the fact that Rei and Ken were very close even though he was a teacher and had only taught them for 1 week?

And yet after the gang all went to university, and he hung around them as a senpai/friend, he couldn't see Ken and Rei's close relationship?

What the... I don't get Tada. I'm not sure that he's as nice as he is.

He must have known that Ken and Rei were unusually close. While it is not wrong to go after Rei even if he sees Ken and Rei's unusual relationship, its not something a nice person would do.

Well then again Tada is unusually dumb and stupid when it comes to relations with normal people so I'm not surprised. I'm just confused at his lack of regularity in his character behaviour from the past till now.

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jun 6th, '07, 16:32

[quote=graymouse]
Now my question is this. If Rei and Ken were to get together at the end of this drama what in HELL happened between Rei and Tada for Rei to change her mind about getting married to the King of the Dorks? Something major is going to have to happen and I really can not see that happening. How lame will it be for Rei to back out of the engagment because of somelthing stupid like she FINALLY realized that she truely loved Ken. That would upset me because that would not be fair at all to Tada. I honestly believe that the writters are going to screw over Tada in the end. On top of that in episode 8 she said that she loved Ken but if she truely did why on earth would you go out with someone else? Did she want to taste all the flavors before she finally decided she truely likes strawberry? I mean I don't have to taste a lemon to know that it is a lemon. A womens heart is truely a mystery that Man can and never will solve.
[/quote]
that is actually one of the things i worry about. aside from the fact that i totally cannot see why Rei would choose Tada (though she says he's straightforward and she likes that *bull crap*) I also cannot see how she will choose Ken now that she's engaged to him. I think that I've voiced this already before. Anyway, so far the only thing I could think off that could get Tada out of the Ken-Rei picture is to kill him off completely. But then again, japanese dramas aren't known for that, especially the ren'ai ones.
Honestly, 4 more episodes? I think it would take another trayful of h'ors d'oeuvres for the Yosei in order to pull off that miracle of them ending up together (which oddly enough the Yosei does push a cart in the preview).

Anyway, I hope the end comes flying to us already, because, like Graymouse, I don't think I can handle any more head scratching. I've developed enough hate for Masami already that rivals that of Erika's. And that's not good.

ps: I still stand by what I said that Rei is self-centered. Because so far, I've never seen her consider Ken's feelings at all. (oh and please don't back her up by saying that she does think of ken, for example the bass figurine, the medicine she brought etc etc. I see those as efforts for Ken to see HER, fall for her and make her happy, so that ultimately leads to her own gratification) I am for Rei-Tada still, only because I feel there should be someone else worthy of Ken. But then again, this IS jdrama. This is ren'ai. And Ken not getting the girl in the end would totally be an antithesis of what ren'ai is about.

Oh well. ProDai sure has great scriptwriters.

ladymurasaki

Post by ladymurasaki » Jun 6th, '07, 17:15

It interesting because all the way back in episode 5, the grandfather character says:
that Rei has difficulty expressing what she really feels. He seems to be encouraing Ken to be honest with Rei, and to be "counting" on Ken. At the same time, he tries to tell Rei to be honest with herself. So, I tend to agree that this isn't just a drama in which the guy, Ken, must learn to be more mature, but one in which the girl too is going to have to learn some emotional honesty.

Eri is also constantly picking on Rei for her inability to be spontaneous.

I'd like to see some sort of confrontation between Ken and Rei where he tells her that he's done all this "work" for her . . . and that she hasn't been honest with herself or with him. She needs to take some responsibility too . . . aka take a risk.
And that would give this drama even more depth.

shazai

Post by shazai » Jun 6th, '07, 18:05

Anyway guys I think this would be a happy ending because this kind of drama is usually a happy ending... I really like this drama because even though Ken is planning to impress Rei all his attempts and plan are usually goes down to the drain but every attempt he takes he garnered small points to Rei's Heart hehe anyway I think this drama can happen in real life that's what makes this drama great....
I notice that Rei really like the bag that Ken gave the way she project it to the camera like she wants the whole world to know KENZOU GAVE THIS TO ME and that only means she still has feelings for him
Image Anyway I notice in the picture of the nxt slide Ken is there please refer to the pic in circle

theJade

Post by theJade » Jun 6th, '07, 18:21

Hrm...maybe I just don't understand a thing...but does anyone else wonder, or can anyone help me out, as to what exactly the THING is that Rei says/thinks Ken doesn't understand.

That she's always been waiting for him to tell her that he loves her?
That he's not being sensitive enough to her and that he's never paid attention to her feelings?
That she's been waiting for him to change all these years...?
That...brain freeze, outta ideas. Anyone else?

cgme

Post by cgme » Jun 6th, '07, 18:28

lunargen wrote:ps: I still stand by what I said that Rei is self-centered. Because so far, I've never seen her consider Ken's feelings at all. (oh and please don't back her up by saying that she does think of ken, for example the bass figurine, the medicine she brought etc etc. I see those as efforts for Ken to see HER, fall for her and make her happy, so that ultimately leads to her own gratification) I am for Rei-Tada still, only because I feel there should be someone else worthy of Ken. But then again, this IS jdrama. This is ren'ai. And Ken not getting the girl in the end would totally be an antithesis of what ren'ai is about.

I totally understand your feelings on this, however, I can also understand Rei's point of view.

I mean, Rei hasn't always seen the considerate side of Ken. Also, she must be getting a lot of mixed signals because 1 days (the timeslip days) Ken is super-caring and considerate, but then the next day he's the old-Ken.

And honestly, the old-Ken was probably a jerk to her feelings (if you look at all the things he messed up at before). I mean, even present-Ken still has a bit of ego in him that's preventing him from really changing things.

For this to be truly satisfying for me, I want Ken to actually win Rei back. Not get her by default because Tada is a jerk or gives her up. And I don't want it to

But yeah, really have to credit the writers for getting us all worked up about it :D

fastat3m

Post by fastat3m » Jun 6th, '07, 19:38

kilaalaa wrote:@Graymouse
And about the light at the end of the tunnel thing, I can relate to that too. I've been brainwashing myself everyday that yes yes things will be better after episode 9. LOL
@Gorahgurl
Tada is a confusing character. First, when he was a trainee teacher at Ken and Rei's high school, he caught on to the fact that Rei and Ken were very close even though he was a teacher and had only taught them for 1 week?

And yet after the gang all went to university, and he hung around them as a senpai/friend, he couldn't see Ken and Rei's close relationship?

He must have known that Ken and Rei were unusually close. While it is not wrong to go after Rei even if he sees Ken and Rei's unusual relationship, its not something a nice person would do.

Well then again Tada is unusually dumb and stupid when it comes to relations with normal people so I'm not surprised. I'm just confused at his lack of regularity in his character behaviour from the past till now.
You kind of have to take into consideration about how Ken was a jokester. After he time slipped back to the future, he probably joked around more. If someone jokes around that much, how can she know the difference if he is serious or not. We don't see the whole story from her point of view. We only see Ken's time slips. Maybe he had a gf a week before that time slip. It is hard to judge her by only seeing the time slips. He pretty much only shows interest in her 3 days for every picture, and is gone probably 6 months after each picture. How can you honestly take someone seriously who shows interest in you for 3 days, and then the next minute doesn't show that interest. To her, it probably seems like his feelings flip flop a lot, and she doesn't want to get her hopes up to high, because it may flip back at any moment.

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » Jun 6th, '07, 19:46

fastat3m wrote:
kilaalaa wrote:@Graymouse
@Gorahgurl

You kind of have to take into consideration about how Ken was a jokester. After he time slipped back to the future, he probably joked around more. If someone jokes around that much, how can she know the difference if he is serious or not. We don't see the whole story from her point of view. We only see Ken's time slips. Maybe he had a gf a week before that time slip. It is hard to judge her by only seeing the time slips. He pretty much only shows interest in her 3 days for every picture, and is gone probably 6 months after each picture. How can you honestly take someone seriously who shows interest in you for 3 days, and then the next minute doesn't show that interest. To her, it probably seems like his feelings flip flop a lot, and she doesn't want to get her hopes up to high, because it may flip back at any moment.
You right
He ahve only seen him in time slips for a few days back then and then history probably repeating itself but, what he does might make the space he has in Rei's heart get larger than it is. :wub:

No_Moon

Post by No_Moon » Jun 7th, '07, 00:02

lunargen wrote:
Honestly, 4 more episodes? I think it would take another trayful of h'ors d'oeuvres for the Yosei in order to pull off that miracle of them ending up together (which oddly enough the Yosei does push a cart in the preview).

Anyway, I hope the end comes flying to us already, because, like Graymouse, I don't think I can handle any more head scratching. I've developed enough hate for Masami already that rivals that of Erika's. And that's not good.

ps: I still stand by what I said that Rei is self-centered. Because so far, I've never seen her consider Ken's feelings at all. (oh and please don't back her up by saying that she does think of ken, for example the bass figurine, the medicine she brought etc etc. I see those as efforts for Ken to see HER, fall for her and make her happy, so that ultimately leads to her own gratification) I am for Rei-Tada still, only because I feel there should be someone else worthy of Ken. But then again, this IS jdrama. This is ren'ai. And Ken not getting the girl in the end would totally be an antithesis of what ren'ai is about.

Now wait just a second. Okay, so Rei is self-centered. But she hasn't, up to this point, actually SEEN any of Ken's most "pure acts of love and devotion" although WE have. She sort of knows, but they've been such devoted friends for so long... give her a bit of a break. Even if they both look terribly wishy washy it's probably because inside they're both extremely squishy and hurt-able characters who need each other's presence very very much. What would Rei do if she lost Ken?? I think she doesn't want to consider that possibility because she's too afraid. So, if Ken isn't ready to scream "I love you" at the top of his lungs, then Rei doesn't want to risk breaking everything they've ever had. (Luckily Ken is timeslipping, so he has more of an awareness than she does :-) )

When feelings of deep friendship are mixed with love, it's very difficult to get a relationship started. If you were ever to lose that person because you got into a bf/gf relationship instead of a life-long friendship, it would be just unbearable.
But I think that Ken's been trying, this whole time, to get over his fears and dorkiness about that, and help Rei get over hers, too. If they can only do that, then I don't think there will be any other obstacle for them...

On the subject of Tada, I think he's a ticking time-bomb. He kinda reminds me of someone I know, lol :whistling: Abrasive personalities have the tendency to create situations for self-destruction. So le'ts sit back and wait for that to happen, teehee :P

malay_tiger

Post by malay_tiger » Jun 7th, '07, 01:46

wowwwwwwwww so many spoilers... :O

I also got one.. 8)

don't open this spoiler if you don't want to know what will happen next in Proposal Daisakusen.. :P

finally they got married but Yamapi and Maki --> YAMAKI??? :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

kilaalaa

Post by kilaalaa » Jun 7th, '07, 01:55

@fastat3m
fastat3m wrote:You kind of have to take into consideration about how Ken was a jokester. After he time slipped back to the future, he probably joked around more. If someone jokes around that much, how can she know the difference if he is serious or not. We don't see the whole story from her point of view. We only see Ken's time slips. Maybe he had a gf a week before that time slip. It is hard to judge her by only seeing the time slips. He pretty much only shows interest in her 3 days for every picture, and is gone probably 6 months after each picture. How can you honestly take someone seriously who shows interest in you for 3 days, and then the next minute doesn't show that interest. To her, it probably seems like his feelings flip flop a lot, and she doesn't want to get her hopes up to high, because it may flip back at any moment.
I'm confused about your post.

I KNOW that past Ken and timeslip Ken gives confusing signals to Rei. I've said that quite a few times in my previous posts.

But I don't get how this has anything to do with my original question about Tada being a confusing character and not as nice as he seems.

Are you trying to say that since past Ken and timeslip Ken gives Rei confusing signals, therefore it is justified for Tada to be a confusing character, and sometimes be perceptive and sometimes pretend to be extremely dumb?

Well I guess you could put it that way.
Possible ending spoiler?
I saw this scene in one of the trailer videos for the entire drama? You know like those previews of the entire drama kind of thing.
You know how they try to film the scenes at one particular location all at once.
So could this be a possible ending? YAY!

SmiLeeGirl

Post by SmiLeeGirl » Jun 7th, '07, 04:02

Alternate ending idea

Well I like Greymouse's alternate idea about tada getting irritated with their closeness and making rei mad -- although he doesnt look like the type to be hot headed like that

Alternate ending idea 1 - highly unlikely but fun sounding ...

So I was thinking MAYBE he'll time slip to the wedding -- you know how they include pictures from the wedding ceromony in the reception vids.

THEN he does the whole -- interupt the wedding and run off with the bride -- leaving everyone shocked.. Although that seems a little scandalous for a Japanese wedding...

Alternate ending ideas 2 - not as fun but I am hopeful.
Maybe ken will be sad and depressed somewhere becomes after all that time slipping she is still going to get married -- rei will show up unexpectedly/ without the engagement ring to profess her love for him. So the big "thing" that happens suprisingly comes from rei....

What do you think???
[/spoiler]

lirong

Post by lirong » Jun 7th, '07, 04:22

wow, i read almost all the hidens . i was looking for such conversation in other forums . but only manged to find it here.
and iam amused by all the inference and predictions.