Rain's Intro to the US

Discuss about your favourite Korean Actors and Actresses.
mtlandis

Rain's Intro to the US

Post by mtlandis » Jun 10th, '07, 02:02

As some of you know, Rain is being sued by some rinky dink Beatlescover band. The band is suing him for trademark infringement. Because of this lawsuit, word has it that Rain's American concerts have been postponed. Those of you with tickets - don't worry yet. A judge in Nevada issued a temporary ban on using the name Rain. There is expected to be a decision on Jun 14 - 1 day before Rain's Hawaii concert. According to official sources, Rain's upcoming American Tour schedule will be announced then. There is a rumor that all concerts will be delayed until August. This is just a rumor though.

This band has a Forum that you must register to use.

http://www.rainthebeatlesexperience.com/

The band originally called Reign.

Poor Rain. This is hardly the introduction to the US we had all hoped for.

In a related note - it was mentioned by Rain's people that there are actually 6 Rains out there. Only one chose to sue.
Last edited by mtlandis on Jun 10th, '07, 03:23, edited 1 time in total.

Kamui6
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kamui6 » Jun 10th, '07, 02:44

After you posted this here on DA... start counting how many ppl will post @ that link. :lol

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jun 10th, '07, 02:44

this band of USA is just trying to gain publicity with this hole story because they probably know how famous Rain is!

Kamui6
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kamui6 » Jun 10th, '07, 02:48

Rasckita wrote:this band of USA is just trying to gain publicity with this hole story because they probably know how famous Rain is!
They want to 'Ride his coat-tail' [not sure if that's the right expression].

I am curious why not last year... it's not like Rain's even released an english album yet?

ImageThey're OLD!
Last edited by Kamui6 on Jun 10th, '07, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 10th, '07, 02:54

Kamui6 wrote:After you posted this here on DA... start counting how many ppl will post @ that link. :lol
That was the general idea. :D

Kamui6
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kamui6 » Jun 10th, '07, 03:05

mtlandis wrote:
Kamui6 wrote:After you posted this here on DA... start counting how many ppl will post @ that link. :lol
That was the general idea. :D
I know...I just hope fans keep the posts clean and don't go postal. Image

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 10th, '07, 03:22

My original post here was flawed. I will correct my first post. There is a lot of confusion on the Net over which Rain Corporation is suing Rain. I believe the correct group is this one......

They are a Beatles cover band that was originally called Reign. The have a Forum but you must register to post there.

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 10th, '07, 03:26

OH DEAR GOD! I HOPE THE AMERICAN BAND DIES! DEAR GOD! SO MAD NOW! THEY'RE SUING *RAIN!!!!* BI RAIN!!!!* THE *FAMOUS* BI RAIN! WHAT MORONS ROOOOOAAAAR! JUST WROTE MY THOUGHT ON IT TO THEM!! (read Onigiri on their site) i was going to be a bit harsher, but what ever I say may or may not effect BiRain, so i desided to keep it at absolute minimum. Dear god, wait till i lay MY hands on the stupid band!!!

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 10th, '07, 03:39

mtlandis wrote:My original post here was flawed. I will correct my first post. There is a lot of confusion on the Net over which Rain Corporation is suing Rain. I believe the correct group is this one......

They are a Beatles cover band that was originally called Reign. The have a Forum but you must register to post there.

so are you saying we were cursing the wrong people?!?!?!

Kamui6
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kamui6 » Jun 10th, '07, 03:46

Before you register and post there... I suggest you use one of those programs that mass your ip address. They seem like a bunch of assholes. :whistling:

:evil: Where's my laptop? :doh:

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 10th, '07, 03:50

DMPA wrote:
mtlandis wrote:My original post here was flawed. I will correct my first post. There is a lot of confusion on the Net over which Rain Corporation is suing Rain. I believe the correct group is this one......

It would appear so. There is a lot of confusion on the Web mainly because there are several Rain Corporations (try googling it) and there are several musical groups called Rain.

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 10th, '07, 03:52

mtlandis wrote:
DMPA wrote:

It would appear so. There is a lot of confusion on the Web mainly because there are several Rain Corporations (try googling it) and there are several musical groups called Rain.

*sigh* so you're saying all of my angry typing went for nothing?!?!...oh well! Now the band knows not to mess with Bi/Rain! lmao!!!

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 10th, '07, 03:58

Well DMPA - just cause they aren't suing Rain right now doesn't mean they won't in the future. Consider it a pre-emptive strike.

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 10th, '07, 04:01

mtlandis wrote:Well DMPA - just cause they aren't suing Rain right now doesn't mean they won't in the future. Consider it a pre-emptive strike.
lol lol! totally agree with you there! lol! it's was just a 'friendly' reminder of who Bi/Rain is lol!

SS501lvr

OMG

Post by SS501lvr » Jun 10th, '07, 04:13

omg i posted so many comments! and i posted everywhere on another site to go comment on that site awww man i have to go back again :(

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 10th, '07, 04:32

Because you have to register at the Beatles Experience page to leave comments, I have set up a blog where people can leave their thoughts. I will join the Beatles Experience Forum and post a link for them so they can see what is being said.

http://rainvrain.blogspot.com/

SS501lvr

laptop laptop!

Post by SS501lvr » Jun 10th, '07, 04:33

im gonna post as soon as i get my laptop on monday! stupid broken down laptop!

groink

Post by groink » Jun 10th, '07, 04:39

That is so fricking hilarious! You guys posted to the wrong site. That is such a riot. And these Wichita dudes are going to be wondering WTF. This is why one should sit on something for a few days before reacting.

As for myself, I'm going to stay away from Aloha Stadium that night...

--- groink

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 10th, '07, 04:43

For those of you who posted in the other guestbook - I did copy your comments over to the blog.

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 10th, '07, 04:43

groink wrote:That is so fricking hilarious! You guys posted to the wrong site. That is such a riot. And these Wichita dudes are going to be wondering WTF. This is why one should sit on something for a few days before reacting.

As for myself, I'm going to stay away from Aloha Stadium that night...

--- groink
lol! well, the *young and the furious* decided to act fast lol! *me for example* lol.

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 10th, '07, 04:45

mtlandis wrote:For those of you who posted in the other guestbook - I did copy your comments over to the blog.
thank you! but why is it that when i looked at the blog, most of the posts were half cut-off? lol or is it just me?

SS501lvr

Post by SS501lvr » Jun 10th, '07, 04:54

I KNOW poor guys must be having a heart attack right now and i tried to post on the their website to tell others that it wasnt the right site and to give them the link for the real one
it wouldnt let me post i think they stopped the comments or something...

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 10th, '07, 05:18

DMPA wrote:
mtlandis wrote:For those of you who posted in the other guestbook - I did copy your comments over to the blog.
thank you! but why is it that when i looked at the blog, most of the posts were half cut-off? lol or is it just me?
It was because the other guestbook had embedded tables. I fixed everything and the final version is ready.....

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 10th, '07, 05:22

mtlandis wrote:
DMPA wrote:
It was because the other guestbook had embedded tables. I fixed everything and the final version is ready.....

ok, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :D

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 10th, '07, 05:27

DMPA wrote:
ok, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :D
Anything to keep your comments from going to waste! :D

hacksign

Post by hacksign » Jun 10th, '07, 06:12

Lol, this is so silly. America with its sue-crazy culture. Seriously, it because I live here that I seldom get anything more than amused with these type of thing. It use to annoy the hell out of me whenever I hear a story like this but now... what you can't fix, don't bother trying.

But really, I gotta wonder if they're really right in the head. Are they really trying to claim all rights to a name of an ELEMENT? C'mon, seriously. If it was a less common name I would understand but the use of that name or variation of it is INSANELY COMMON. Plus, considering that his stage name Bi translates into Rain, this suit goes from stupid to utterly incomprehensible. It's not like he just made a new stage name, he's just using the English translation of his existing one for use with his English-speaking audience.

Kamikatze

Post by Kamikatze » Jun 10th, '07, 06:23

Seems the "young and furious" decided to troll without thinking first. Bravo.

Besides... do you really think that trolling a blog or messageboard will stop someone from sueing somebody else?

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 10th, '07, 06:34

Kamikatze wrote:Seems the "young and furious" decided to troll without thinking first. Bravo.

Besides... do you really think that trolling a blog or messageboard will stop someone from sueing somebody else?
Public relations are very important to entertainers. If enough of a stink is made it may very well effect the plaintiffs (Rain Corp.).

groink

Post by groink » Jun 10th, '07, 07:02

mtlandis wrote:Public relations are very important to entertainers. If enough of a stink is made it may very well effect the plaintiffs (Rain Corp.).
Sure. If the victim has a presence in the U.S. that is large enough to have an effect on the economic stability of the one doing the suing. But c'mon! The guy's Korean! Fight the good fight if it would actually have an effect. But because the Korean Wave represents a tiny sliver of the U.S. interests, this massive flame is only damaging:

- Bi himself
- His fanbase
- Probably D-Addicts (reading Wichita Rain's logs, they KNOW you all came from D-Addicts and other sites hosting that link.)

Let Bi's people handle it. If Korean fans continue to play the victim card in every incident they stumble across, it just makes them look even worse.

--- groink

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 10th, '07, 07:28

Kamikatze wrote:Seems the "young and furious" decided to troll without thinking first. Bravo.

wow there, chill! Dear god, people like you make me want to quit blogging. dear god. so we made a mistake, no need to put us down! wow...

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 10th, '07, 07:32

groink wrote: Sure. If the victim has a presence in the U.S. that is large enough to have an effect on the economic stability of the one doing the suing. But c'mon! The guy's Korean! Fight the good fight if it would actually have an effect. But because the Korean Wave represents a tiny sliver of the U.S. interests, this massive flame is only damaging:

- Bi himself
- His fanbase
- Probably D-Addicts (reading Wichita Rain's logs, they KNOW you all came from D-Addicts and other sites hosting that link.)

Let Bi's people handle it. If Korean fans continue to play the victim card in every incident they stumble across, it just makes them look even worse.

--- groink
It is not damaging Rain nor his fan base as long as people keep it from getting ugly. (So far it hasn't gotten too ugly). It only goes to prove that he does have a large fan base here in the US. Most of the Korean Broadcasters think that the KDrama fan base here in the US is tiny and insignificant. I know that it is large and growing every day. Something like this - if done "right" could only prove that fact. (Thus the reason for the Blog - try to get everyone in one place instead of scattered over a jillion forums).

For the same reasons d-addicts (and the other forums) should not be injured either.

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 10th, '07, 07:42

*sigh* for some reason it seems that we're starting our own fight here, ne?!

groink

Post by groink » Jun 10th, '07, 07:44

mtlandis wrote:It is not damaging Rain nor his fan base as long as people keep it from getting ugly. (So far it hasn't gotten too ugly). It only goes to prove that he does have a large fan base here in the US. Most of the Korean Broadcasters think that the KDrama fan base here in the US is tiny and insignificant. I know that it is large and growing every day. Something like this - if done "right" could only prove that fact. (Thus the reason for the Blog - try to get everyone in one place instead of scattered over a jillion forums).

For the same reasons d-addicts (and the other forums) should not be injured either.
Your blog is an afterthought LONG after you guys did the damage. For the record, here's what you guys left behind:

http://www.rain-band.com/guestbook.asp

Until those Wichita boys clean the guestbook (which I doubt, otherwise they'd get criticized for censorship), it will forever live in Yahoo, Google, The Wayback Machine, and everywhere else that caches web pages. "Sorry for all the inconvienence." Gotta love that last comment in the guestbook. Bi's fans are nothing but raging wackos. I'm not just saying that because I believe so. All those comments on that guestbook speak for themselves.

--- groink

hacksign

Post by hacksign » Jun 10th, '07, 07:54

1. Public relationship is important to entertaining. A bad and VOCAL response from a mass of people is capable of doing damage irrespective of anything else...

2. The responses does seem to be from the "young and furious" I read some of the replies on the blog and it seems like people are already passing judgments and some of them pretty harsh too. Try to be more diplomatic people. If they begin to feel unfairly condemned by so many people, chances are they are more inclined to want to prove if they're in the right legally.

3. The presence of the "victim" in US economic can be a factor only given certain conditions. I think that in this case, the point is that this band seems to be relatively unknown to most people. Meaning, overall, the fanbase for Bi is larger (mainly because he got fans worldwide). This can be a pretty daunting thing against them as a group if the fans united in their opposition against them but I'll agree that it probably won't have an effect on the matter legally if they take it to court.

But anyways, I'm not planning on writing a scathing post to the Rain Corporation of anything (though I would find much amusement in the act of writing it). To be honest, I would even like to see how this would resolved in court cause it seems like it could be quite an interesting case. Love to see how the Rain Corporation would argue that copyright law cross countries and are applicable even on translations. Or would try say they claim copyright law on that name and all it's translations? ^^

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jun 10th, '07, 11:51

mmmm....maybe the best solution instead of scolding the other band ('cause it might end happening what happened now...ppl scolding the wrong old men) someone create one of those online petition! ;)

I think it'll have more impact neh? Plus , Rain's lawyer can use the petition for Rain's defence.

It's not that it's going to resolve but it'll help neh?

Here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/
Anyone willing to create one?

the idea is:
-create the petition
-send the link to this Rain band (please send it in a serious way and not scolding)
-send to Bi's responsibles

Kamui6
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Kamui6 » Jun 10th, '07, 16:41

groink wrote:
mtlandis wrote:It is not damaging Rain nor his fan base as long as people keep it from getting ugly. (So far it hasn't gotten too ugly). It only goes to prove that he does have a large fan base here in the US. Most of the Korean Broadcasters think that the KDrama fan base here in the US is tiny and insignificant. I know that it is large and growing every day. Something like this - if done "right" could only prove that fact. (Thus the reason for the Blog - try to get everyone in one place instead of scattered over a jillion forums).

Your blog is an afterthought LONG after you guys did the damage. For the record, here's what you guys left behind:

http://www.rain-band.com/guestbook.asp

Until those Wichita boys clean the guestbook (which I doubt, otherwise they'd get criticized for censorship), it will forever live in Yahoo, Google, The Wayback Machine, and everywhere else that caches web pages. "Sorry for all the inconvienence." Gotta love that last comment in the guestbook. Bi's fans are nothing but raging wackos. I'm not just saying that because I believe so. All those comments on that guestbook speak for themselves.

--- groink
I still want to know... why not last year? :whistling:

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 10th, '07, 19:41

Even though I didn't post a nasty message on the wrong guestbook, I was guilty of posting the link in a few places. I went back and corrected the links AND I e-mailed an apology to those guys for my part in all this.

asianbuzz

Re: Rain's Intro to the US

Post by asianbuzz » Jun 11th, '07, 02:29

mtlandis wrote:As some of you know, Rain is being sued by some rinky dink Beatlescover band. The band is suing him for trademark infringement. Because of this lawsuit, word has it that Rain's American concerts have been postponed. Those of you with tickets - don't worry yet. A judge in Nevada issued a temporary ban on using the name Rain. There is expected to be a decision on Jun 14 - 1 day before Rain's Hawaii concert. According to official sources, Rain's upcoming American Tour schedule will be announced then. There is a rumor that all concerts will be delayed until August. This is just a rumor though.

This band has a Forum that you must register to use.

The band originally called Reign.

Poor Rain. This is hardly the introduction to the US we had all hoped for.

In a related note - it was mentioned by Rain's people that there are actually 6 Rains out there. Only one chose to sue.
I think it's not fair. People would not confuse Korean artist Rain from the other one...

Btw, I've posted clips of Rain rehearsing during his concert last year in NY. Hope you'll like enjoy. Feel free to post comments too on how you feel about this mess. asian-buzz.com

pepprmint

Post by pepprmint » Jun 11th, '07, 05:18

heres a little something off soompi:
World Star Rain expresses his thoughts about his name for his world tour in the US.
source: http://news.naver.com/news/read.php?...21&menu_id=106
credit: baidu/soompi
cn to eng: nglkt@soompi

Rain explains that the case is being carefully handled. Although it will not affect his world tour in the US, he cannot carry on with his concert because it might be a problem in the future. He plans to solve it completely before having a concert in the US. Thus, he had to postpone it.

A company in California called “Rain Corporation” is going to use the word “Rain” to hold concerts in the US. On 20th February, they requested for a prohibition for others to use the word “Rain”

Rain said with much regrets that based on the information they got from a lawyer in the US, the name “Rain” has been used six times but they only filed a lawsuit again Rain. They suspect that they might have other motives.

They believe that Rain Corporation’s litigation would be dismissed but in case of any unexpected results, they decided to postpone it.

They said that the court would announce the verdict on the 14th, a day before the concert in Hawaii. So if the concerts still carries on, they are afraid that the negative consequences will affect the fan. Thus, they made a difficult decision.

They said that after the verdict is announced, they will reschedule the dates for the concerts in Hawaii, Atlanta, New York, San Francisco, LA etc…
it SUCKS that this has to affect him so much, some band of old men trying to reap money off a superstar who they know is more famous than them :cussing:

groink

Post by groink » Jun 11th, '07, 08:16

Kamui6 wrote:I still want to know... why not last year? :whistling:
soompi wrote:A company in California called “Rain Corporation” is going to use the word “Rain” to hold concerts in the US. On 20th February, they requested for a prohibition for others to use the word “Rain”
That should answer your question. February 20, 2007 is after the New York concert in 2006, which is why no one said anything back then. Before Rain announced his U.S. tour dates back in April 2007 (at least that's when he announced his Hawaii date), his legal eagles should have performed a trademark search beforehand. Performing research on trademarks is done by everyone who plan on marketing products in the U.S. - everything from cell phones to TV show names. So when Rain made his announcement, that's probably when that Feb 20 lockdown on the "Rain" trademark set off a red flag.

--- groink

asianbuzz

Post by asianbuzz » Jun 11th, '07, 11:52

groink wrote:
Kamui6 wrote:I still want to know... why not last year? :whistling:
soompi wrote:A company in California called “Rain Corporation” is going to use the word “Rain” to hold concerts in the US. On 20th February, they requested for a prohibition for others to use the word “Rain”
That should answer your question. February 20, 2007 is after the New York concert in 2006, which is why no one said anything back then. Before Rain announced his U.S. tour dates back in April 2007 (at least that's when he announced his Hawaii date), his legal eagles should have performed a trademark search beforehand. Performing research on trademarks is done by everyone who plan on marketing products in the U.S. - everything from cell phones to TV show names. So when Rain made his announcement, that's probably when that Feb 20 lockdown on the "Rain" trademark set off a red flag.

--- groink
Also, since he has more exposure now in the mainstream, there's more people paying attention now~

happybi

Post by happybi » Jun 11th, '07, 16:07

groink: Totally agree.

Please stop posting as there is nothing we can do now. Please let the lawyers take care of the problem. Even if the post is not negative, it's still damaging to Bi's image. Especially, when
Rain: The Beatles fans think Ji-Hoon fans are crazy people. It will truly only reflect badly on Ji-Hoon.

Just take a back seat and pray that he won't have to fork out too much money.

As for it not getting ugly.... I'm sorry.. but it has already gotten ugly...

anhnie

Post by anhnie » Jun 11th, '07, 18:18

I agree...we as Rain fans, cant really do much else but sit back and hope this matter will soon be resolved without it having too much damaging effects to Bi's plans and image. But we really shouldnt add anymore flames to this already heated up mess and just hope that Bi's lawyers will win this battle.

That really sucks to hear that his US debut came to such an unfortunate delay. But i guess it comes to show that some unknown bands would rather have negative attention than no attention at all. As a pre-law student in the US, this kind of utterly ridiculous lawsuit as far as American culture goes really doesnt surprise me anymore..Americans would sue over anything and everything just because they can. It's just absurd but what can ya do, it's the culture.

Best wishes to Bi!..and i'm sure with his popularity and talent, they cant hold him down for long!
Last edited by anhnie on Jun 11th, '07, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

happybi

Post by happybi » Jun 11th, '07, 18:32

^ Yes, it's sad..I'm also from the US and suing to make money is very common over here. I still remember we used to have an ex-coworker in the accounting dept who always brag about how much money she make because she keep suing people. And when she was let go from the company because she wasn't doing her job (she throw way stuff that she should be doing) she sued our company and her boss because she said her boss was mistreating her and that our company fired her for no reason. Let just said she lost the case and thank god we never heard from her again.

As for Ji-Hoon. I actually prefer his real name over Rain. And with his popularity, I'm sure it won't take long before everyone will recognize that name instead of Rain. So keep the faith and let his lawyers take care of the problem.

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 12th, '07, 01:27

Word has it that some of the US concerts have been postponed. If you have tickets you should contact Ticketmaster to see the status of the concert you have tickets for.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Jun 12th, '07, 01:33

A lot of Korean music copy so that's gonna be a problem if they try to make it into the US. Gonna be lawsuits everywhere.

groink

Post by groink » Jun 12th, '07, 01:41

felicityho wrote:As for Ji-Hoon. I actually prefer his real name over Rain. And with his popularity, I'm sure it won't take long before everyone will recognize that name instead of Rain. So keep the faith and let his lawyers take care of the problem.
Because I'm also into things Asian, I too would prefer Asian artists to use their given names, rather than changing their trademark to fit the market. It is a fact that in the U.S. people have a thing about cultural identification. But when you as an artist are marketing yourself, the people who look up to you are already well aware that you're Asian and you sing Asian songs. You shouldn't be trying to sell yourself to someone who doesn't appreciate things Asian, so why bother with the English name?

IMHO I think Rain is really a lame name to use; reminds me of other names like Queen Latifah, Prince, etc. I think Bi is catchy for an R&B artist. Think about it... When it rains, you have that melancholy like feeling. That's the feeling when I hear the name Rain. If Bi's people did the due diligence and perform a trademark check, they would've discovered the half-dozen Rain names. And at that time they should have marketed him as Bi. And he wouldn't be in this predicament.

--- groink

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 12th, '07, 02:17

groink wrote:
felicityho wrote:As for Ji-Hoon. I actually prefer his real name over Rain. And with his popularity, I'm sure it won't take long before everyone will recognize that name instead of Rain. So keep the faith and let his lawyers take care of the problem.
Because I'm also into things Asian, I too would prefer Asian artists to use their given names, rather than changing their trademark to fit the market. It is a fact that in the U.S. people have a thing about cultural identification. But when you as an artist are marketing yourself, the people who look up to you are already well aware that you're Asian and you sing Asian songs. You shouldn't be trying to sell yourself to someone who doesn't appreciate things Asian, so why bother with the English name?

IMHO I think Rain is really a lame name to use; reminds me of other names like Queen Latifah, Prince, etc. I think Bi is catchy for an R&B artist. Think about it... When it rains, you have that melancholy like feeling. That's the feeling when I hear the name Rain. If Bi's people did the due diligence and perform a trademark check, they would've discovered the half-dozen Rain names. And at that time they should have marketed him as Bi. And he wouldn't be in this predicament.

--- groink

Well, I agree with you to some extent, but what's done's done, and you can't go back. Either way I just hope Rain will get out of this little mess unharmed, that's all.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Jun 12th, '07, 03:04

I agree with you groink. I think that is why Asians don't get the respect that we deserve because we always try to change ourselves to fit other societies. No wonder the world know little of us. How can they know us if we don't give them a chance to learn about us??

And yes, "Rain" is just stupid. That's just asking to be sued! Bi is not good either cuz that's asking to be made fun of being gay. Korean male stars already got reps for being gay looking and Asian men feminine. This is just helping spread the negative stereotype. Might as welll call himself "gay" or "fag".

groink wrote: Because I'm also into things Asian, I too would prefer Asian artists to use their given names, rather than changing their trademark to fit the market. It is a fact that in the U.S. people have a thing about cultural identification. But when you as an artist are marketing yourself, the people who look up to you are already well aware that you're Asian and you sing Asian songs. You shouldn't be trying to sell yourself to someone who doesn't appreciate things Asian, so why bother with the English name?

--- groink

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Jun 12th, '07, 05:55

goygakgoy wrote:And yes, "Rain" is just stupid. That's just asking to be sued! Bi is not good either cuz that's asking to be made fun of being gay. Korean male stars already got reps for being gay looking and Asian men feminine. This is just helping spread the negative stereotype. Might as welll call himself "gay" or "fag".
Sry, but i'll have to disagree with that one, that's a stereotype that Asian men are viewed as gays, maybe a bit more feminine then the west side of the world, but not sure about gay, but then again, i dunno, maybe i'm just talking for myself. And I really don't see what's wrong with Rain/Bi having a supposedly 'American' name as his stage name. It's his choice. and it's kind of like you having a kid and naming him "Takashi" *let's say you really love that name so you decided instead of changing your own name to Takashi, you'll name your child Takashi* while living in America and being an American sitizen. And just because your kid's name is supposedly Japanese, it doesn't mean that you're misrepresenting your self...I hope you get what i'm saying. In in any case, the name "Rain" for the bands was protected by the "Beatles Rain" in America ONLY. They didn't make it worldwide, so Korea and other Asian countries do not count, and so I think (and that's a personal thought only) that Rain/Bi should have absolutely no problem in having his stage name as Rain, because he is, after all, from Korea, and not America, and American Laws do not apply to Korea.

Ok, i hope i made atleast SOME sense there, if not, sorry, but that's just me.

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Jun 12th, '07, 06:16

And yes, "Rain" is just stupid. That's just asking to be sued! Bi is not good either cuz that's asking to be made fun of being gay. Korean male stars already got reps for being gay looking and Asian men feminine. This is just helping spread the negative stereotype. Might as welll call himself "gay" or "fag".
Rain is just a stage name. There is no stupid or nice about a stage name. It's just like an identity of a singer.

BTW, as you consider that Korean male stars got reps for being gay looking. But they are NOT gay in real life. It's just their style. The question is what is the meaning of muscular looking men? It's just different ways of looking the term "Muscular" and it's different from different culture. Indeed, there are guys that dressed muscularly and are really gay in real life. Are we stereotyping what a guy should dress or look to be "less" gay?
Last edited by AboutDrama on Jun 12th, '07, 09:57, edited 2 times in total.

anhnie

Post by anhnie » Jun 12th, '07, 06:58

AboutDrama wrote:

I don't get it. What is the name "Rain" got to do with gay? I understand US is very sensitive with the word "gay or fag." But "Rain" is gay? Not making any sense to me. It's just a stage name.

BTW, as you consider that Korean male starts got reps for being gay looking. But they are NOT gay in real life. It's just their style. The question is what is the meaning of muscular looking men? It's just different ways of looking the term "Muscular" and it's different from different culture. Indeed, there are guys that dressed muscularly and are really gay in real life. Are we stereotyping what a guy should dress or look to be "less" gay?
I think goygakgoy is not saying that the name "Rain" is gay, but that the name "Bi" will be made fun of since in America, "bi" means bisexual. I actually had a guy friend who's American make that same joke about Bi's name...i posted up on my blog that I love Bi, and he said u love bisexuals? what?! lol..it was pretty funny actually b/c he really didnt know that was a korean name.

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Jun 12th, '07, 09:14

I think goygakgoy is not saying that the name "Rain" is gay, but that the name "Bi" will be made fun of since in America, "bi" means bisexual. I actually had a guy friend who's American make that same joke about Bi's name...i posted up on my blog that I love Bi, and he said u love bisexuals? what?! lol..it was pretty funny actually b/c he really didnt know that was a korean name
Ok, my bad. Sorry for not reading properly. I have re-edited the previous post. Thanks...

anhnie

Post by anhnie » Jun 12th, '07, 17:46

oh no prob! anyone can make that mistake ^__^

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jun 12th, '07, 18:04

How can you trademark rain? its like calling yourself MILK and suing the milk companies. as long as hes not doing beatles tributes i cant see this being an issue.

very strange...

HD69

Post by HD69 » Jun 12th, '07, 19:36

mtlandis wrote:Word has it that some of the US concerts have been postponed. If you have tickets you should contact Ticketmaster to see the status of the concert you have tickets for.
The concert has been cancelled at least here in Hawaii. There was a story on local tv station KITV-4. There is more going on here than some stupid lawsuit.

You can read more about it at this local message board and even see the news clip.
http://808dramafans.proboards21.com/ind ... 034&page=6

There will also be a official press conference sometime today.

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Jun 12th, '07, 21:36

Just a thought. What is the "a" is flipped horizontally? Like how "Toys R Us," the "R" is flipped.

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 13th, '07, 16:58

This is priceless!!!!!!

The National Times-Tribune-Herald-Post-Bulletin

June 13, 2007

Mother Nature to counter-sue Beatles cover Band "Rain"

Plans to team up with other angered Gods

Valhalla- Lawyers for Mother Nature have announced her plans to take suit against the cover band, Rain, for appropriation of the name of her own precipatatory phenomenon, rain. The band has recently come into the news for their own suit against Korean Pop star Rain (Bi). Mother Nature claims monetary damages as well as untold "emotional harms" because she is "deeply disturbed that an unoriginal cover band could use [her] name for a truly one-of-a-kind" natural phenomenon. "It brings a bad name to precipiation everywhere" she was quoted at this mornings press conference. Poseidon has joined the suit on behalf of Mother Nature saying he felt a strong affinity to her cause since he rules over the remaining natural waters found on planet Earth. Indeed, the announcement came as no suprise to most who are well aware of their collaboration over the millenia in creating our modern weather system. "He truly is, all jokes aside, the wind beneath my wings" Mother Nature said of the trident-wielding God of the Sea, alluding in jest to the formulation of warm and cold fronts as well as other storm systems that they have perfected over the years.

No word has come from the opposition who look to be embroiled in a number of legal battles as the summer wears on. A court date has not been announced as of the time of this publication.

HD69

Post by HD69 » Jun 13th, '07, 17:52

People here are still talking about the lawsuit. The lawsuit was just a small part as to why the US concerts were cancelled. Personally IMHO it had nothing to do with the cancellations.
As I posted yesterday there was a official press conference in Hon, Hi about the Bi concert being cancelled. Even the Promoter from Toronto was at the press conference and he is still waiting for his $250,000.00. All the local TV stations covered the press conference.

You can read about the press conference over at Koreanwiz site, she went to the press conference.
http://www.koreanwiz.org/news.html

Honolulu Advertiser Story with Video.
Rain's concert canceled as pop star a no-show mystery.

angelsoldier

Post by angelsoldier » Jun 13th, '07, 18:56

can someone pls tell me from where i could download the songs from "Rain's World" album???...plsssss :cry:

groink

Post by groink » Jun 13th, '07, 21:38

Unbelievable... They're saying that the stage at Aloha Stadium was inadequate? I totally don't believe that for one second. I'd like to hear the details and to what they felt was lacking there. I recently saw U2 and Pearl Jam at that same venue, and the stage was HUGE! Of course, everything at that concert was flown in using a dozen or so 747 airplanes. I'm assuming Rain doesn't have that kind of a budget. Also remember that this is a stadium, and you can play football or even soccer in this place. So you can basically do anything regarding size. And, they had at least two months to design and prepare the stage to Rain's specifications. So I believe Mark Russo when he says the stage was just fine.

I'm starting to wonder if this Rain thing is some kind of a scheme, and the stage bit is just a cop-out (much like Michelle Wie's wrist injury.) A few years ago, a small promotion company tried to bring NASCAR to Hawaii. And then with just a few days until the event, the event was canceled.

--- groink

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Jun 14th, '07, 01:30

I think it makes a lot of business sense. I remember watching Full House, the American comedy where an old ladies group named "REM" performed at the club and fans of the rock band "REM" came and was dissapointed. I know the situation is different here, but it just makes business sense.

If coke or any other drink companies name their product milk, it would be settled in court as well. There is only one milk drink and to have some soda named milk could confuse ppl and if there is a problem with the drink, such as not being as healthy, it will make the original milk look bad.

However, it's okay if it's of a different business...can be tricky at times. The perfume "rain" shouldn't sue "rain", the band cuz they're of different industries.

I think this is a good example that Asians should learn from. I've been saying it for years that there would be copyright problems with Korean music. This is nothing compared the the actual music.
nikochanr3 wrote:How can you trademark rain? its like calling yourself MILK and suing the milk companies. as long as hes not doing beatles tributes i cant see this being an issue.

very strange...

groink

Post by groink » Jun 14th, '07, 05:19

goygakgoy wrote:I think this is a good example that Asians should learn from. I've been saying it for years that there would be copyright problems with Korean music. This is nothing compared the the actual music.
I don't know about the Koreans. The Japanese do actually go through the due diligence of researching copyright and trademark infringements beforehand - even if they don't even plan on marketing in the U.S. Few examples:

- When TBS filmed an episode of Furuhata Ninzaburo with Suzuki Ichiro as a guest star, the producers obtained licensing from the Seattle Mariners to use the name "Ichiro", since the baseball club is a licensee of the trademark in the U.S. They did this because the episode did actually air in the U.S. through NGN.

- Several Fuji TV's dramas had their incidental music changed when they released their dramas on video tape, laser disc and DVD. Again, this is because Fuji TV (and all the other Japanese TV networks) have a way of using American songs in the TV-aired release, and the sales of the media could enter the U.S. (such as groink's home.)

I've been told by several people (one of them who actually works in the geinokai) that the reason for the high price of DVD box sets in Japan is primarily because they obtain licenses for EVERY aspect of the content in these shows: the music, logos, trademarks, etc. And the licensing are added onto the production of the DVDs, and are therefore carried over to the retail price. I've also been told by several sources that the Korean industry doesn't do the same due diligence regarding payment for licensing of other peoples' works being used in their dramas, making their DVD box sets much cheaper. This is purely an allegation on the part of the pundits out there, and it is virtually impossible to prove. I'm just reporting what people are saying out there.

--- groink

wewa

Rain got rained on? - poor sales

Post by wewa » Jun 14th, '07, 17:03

$300, $225, & $115 tickets? Thats nutz.

I only paid $35 to see Namie, and $60 to see DAI.
Even Avex Summer Festa is in the $60 range.

I would never pay 3 digits for any concert, foreign or domestic. That is disrespectful of the fanbase, IMO.

Posted on: Thursday, June 14, 2007

K-pop star Rain victim of poor sales

By Rick Daysog
Advertiser Staff Writer

FOR REFUNDS

# Refund requests for $300 VIP tickets will be accepted beginning June 20 at the Click Entertainment office, Samsung Plaza, 655 Ke'eaumoku St. Phone: 941-8870.

Less than two weeks after tickets for K-pop star Rain's Aloha Stadium concert went on sale, local organizers had sold just 1,500 of the event's 20,000-plus tickets, according to a consultant for concert organizers.

Danny Kim, a consultant for local promoter Click Entertainment, said Aloha Stadium officials told him about three weeks ago that fewer than 1,500 tickets had been sold. Typically, Aloha Stadium concerts by international pop stars such as Michael Jackson, U2 or the Rolling Stones are sold out within days.

"Everyone was worried that tickets were not selling," Kim said. "We were very disappointed that things turned out like this."

Stadium officials yesterday declined to provide overall ticket sales figures but said 257 tickets had been sold at the stadium box office as of Tuesday.

On Tuesday, promoter Click Entertainment postponed tomorrow's concert but couldn't say whether the concert would be rescheduled. Click Entertainment officials said they have been given no official explanation from Rain or his South Korea-based handlers.

Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, is a leading pop icon in South Korea and is known for his glitzy, sold-out concerts and his starring roles in popular television dramas. Tickets went on sale May 15.

Dong Il Min, creative director of TFD Big Band, a Seoul-based organization assisting Click, declined to provide current ticket sales figures but said that enough seats had been sold for the event to go on.

He said local promoters became aware of problems on Saturday when the Korea Times reported that Rain's U.S. concert dates, including Honolulu, were being scrapped.

"Everything was ready to go but the Rain didn't show up," Min said.

Honolulu is one of five U.S. cities on a six-city tour to be put on hold. Concerts in San Francisco; Atlanta; New York; and San Jose, Calif., had been postponed and no new dates had been set.

A June 30 concert at Los Angeles' Staples Center will go on as planned, according to Christina Yoon, a spokeswoman for the Mainland concerts' promoters, Revolution Entertainment and V2B Global.

Yoon said she did not know the reason for the postponement of the Honolulu show but she said the Mainland concerts ran into production scheduling conflicts.

Rain's sets use many of the same designers who work on concerts by Michael Jackson, U2 and Madonna. Yoon said that the production teams felt they didn't have enough time to set up.

Kane'ohe resident Grace Ogawa said she is upset by the cancelation.

Ogawa, who purchased a $300 VIP ticket and volunteered to place concert posters around town, said people at Click worked hard to market the event to a local audience.

She said it's unfair that Rain's handlers in South Korea haven't given them a full accounting.

"It's just disappointing," Ogawa said. "Everyone was excited that he was coming here."

Most of the concert's $55 general admission tickets and $225 and $115 reserved seats were sold by Ticketmaster.

Shirley Alexander, Ticketmaster's general manager in Hawai'i, declined to disclose the number of seats sold by her company. But she said customers can obtain refunds by taking their tickets to their point of purchase, which includes Times Supermarket locations and the Blaisdell box office.

Buyers also can request refunds at the stadium box office.

Click Entertainment officials wouldn't say how many $300 VIP tickets were sold. Under its contract with Aloha Stadium, the local promoters are entitled to sell as many as 2,000 tickets on a consignment basis.

VIP ticket holders can request refunds starting Wednesday at Click's offices.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... 40366/1001

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » Jun 15th, '07, 06:21

An article came out today in Pollstar about Rain's postponed concerts. You can read the article here.....

http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=8024

If you guys read the whole article you will see that the different promoters disagree on the reasons for the postponement. One promoter cited the logistics of setting up such a huge concert. Another, who is a friend of Rain's, said...
It turns out the primary cause is a lawsuit. The singer, JYP Entertainment and Star M - the Korean company that owns the rights to Rain's world tour - are all being sued by Rain Corporation, a Nevada company that represents Rain - The Beatles Experience, a fab four tribute band.
A really interesting tidbit from that article.....
The suit, a copy of which was obtained by Pollstar, alleges trademark infringement, asks for an injunction and seeks damages plus "three times the profits attributable to the Defendants infringement of the Mark." Representatives for Rain Corporation were contacted by Pollstar and declined to comment on the suit.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Jun 17th, '07, 03:27

Yeah, Japanese ppl seem like they know what's going on. I watch some Anime and it seems that they have a pretty good relationship with those that upload on the internet. If they license something, the majority of the uploaders will stop distributing.

I think Japanese music is very influenced by western music, but they don't copy either. I listen to a lot of J-music, and rarely do i think that a song is copied.

Pat on the backs of the japanese.
groink wrote:
goygakgoy wrote:I think this is a good example that Asians should learn from. I've been saying it for years that there would be copyright problems with Korean music. This is nothing compared the the actual music.
I don't know about the Koreans. The Japanese do actually go through the due diligence of researching copyright and trademark infringements beforehand - even if they don't even plan on marketing in the U.S. Few examples:

maryhehe

Post by maryhehe » Jun 18th, '07, 03:41

It's really sad that it turned out that way. I live in Montreal and I was so happy when I found out that Rain is coming to Toronto. I immediately bought my ticket for Toronto, but it got cancelled. My heart was broken. Luckyly, I found out he is having a concert in NYC, so I bought another ticket. Now, it is postponed...everyone has been telling me that it wasn't meant to be...it's already my second attempt to go see him. Do I really have to go all the way to Korea if I want to see him????

HQLover

Post by HQLover » Jun 18th, '07, 05:04

I'm just glad that he's still going ot be in LA because i'm flyng there next week from TX just to attend his concert.

maryhehe

Post by maryhehe » Jun 18th, '07, 15:48

HQLover wrote:I'm just glad that he's still going ot be in LA because i'm flyng there next week from TX just to attend his concert.
really...he is still going to LA??? Lucky you :thumright:

Do you have a good seat? :w00t: Take lots of pics...and tell me how it went...

wewa

Wanted Man - Pop star Rain accused of fraud in Hawaii

Post by wewa » Jun 22nd, '07, 16:53

Posted on: Friday, June 22, 2007

:cussing:

Pop star Rain accused of fraud in Hawaii
StoryChat: Comment on this story

By Rick Daysog
Advertiser Staff Writer

Less than a week after Korean pop star Rain's canceled Aloha Stadium concert, the event's local promoters have sued the Korean mega-star and his Seoul-based handlers, saying they "never actually intended to produce a concert in Hawai'i."

In a complaint filed in U.S. District Court yesterday, Hawai'i-based Click Entertainment Inc. alleged that Rain, whose real name is Jung Ji-hoon, and his South Korea-based producers, JYP Entertainment Co. and Star M Entertainment, defrauded it of more than $500,000 paid in licensing fees and other costs.

The suit, which was filed by local attorneys Eric Seitz and Ronald Kim, also said that Rain and his South Korea-based promoters "sought to defraud the general public by aggrandizing and exaggerating the scope of the 'Rain's Coming' world tour."

The concert was scheduled for last Friday but was canceled three days before it was supposed to go on.

"There seemed to be just a number of ... acts of bad faith that we have concluded in all likelihood that the people did not have the capacity to provide the entertainer or never intended to do so but took the money," Seitz said in a news conference yesterday.

Representatives for Rain, JYP Entertainment and Star M could not be reached for immediate comment.

A spokeswoman for Rain's North American promoter, Revolution Entertainment, which also was named in the suit, declined comment.

According to the lawsuit, Click reached an agreement this year with Revolution and Star M to stage a Rain concert here in July and wired more than $500,000 in licensing fees to Revolution's executives in South Korea.

Less than a month before the scheduled show, an executive with Star M, Rain's South Korea-based promoter, told Click that the stage setup at Aloha Stadium was inadequate.

Seitz said his clients addressed concerns about the staging but the South Korea-based promoters still canceled, saying there was not enough time to go on with the concert.

Star M, JYP and Revolution have refused to return the licensing fee, according to Click.

Seitz said that ticket sales were not a major factor in the cancellation.

The Advertiser reported on June 14 that local promoters sold just 1,500 of the event's 20,000 tickets two weeks after they went on sale. Seitz said promoters had sold about 5,000 tickets by the third week.

"We expected that there would be thousands more ticket sales right before the concert," Seitz said.

The Honolulu concert was one of five in Rain's six-city U.S. tour that was shelved. Concerts in San Francisco; Atlanta; New York; and San Jose, Calif., had been postponed and no new dates have been set.

A June 30 concert at Los Angeles' Staples Center will go on as planned.

Seitz, who estimated that Click suffered between $1 million and $2 million in general damages, said he will seek to attach the proceeds from the Los Angeles concert.

"If we get a judgment, he's not going to be able to perform in ... entertainment contracts in the United States because we will follow him wherever he goes and tie up all of the proceeds," Seitz said. :argue:

:goggle:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... 20374/1001

HD69

Post by HD69 » Jul 1st, '07, 04:37

Bi's LA concert was canceled 1 hour before it was to start this evening at the Staples Center. My friend called me on the phone and she was mad as hell. After paying all that money for air fare and hotel reservations.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 1st, '07, 05:17

HD69 wrote:Bi's LA concert was canceled 1 hour before it was to start this evening at the Staples Center. My friend called me on the phone and she was mad as hell. After paying all that money for air fare and hotel reservations.
http://www.staplescenter.com/events/rep ... goryid=564

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Jul 7th, '07, 01:34

haha...he's getting sued over something else and they cancelling more concerts? Good luck everybody.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 7th, '07, 02:32

goygakgoy wrote:haha...he's getting sued over something else and they cancelling more concerts? Good luck everybody.
Yeah, really...

On Wikipedia, I read a blurb (before it got removed by an editor) that Bi actually offered to perform regardless of the condition of the stage/effects. But his people told him he couldn't do so. Is this actually documented somewhere? It was deleted from Wikipedia because no one could cite the information. If Bi did in fact make the effort in attempting to perform that night, then he should start cutting the heads off of some of his people. I think down the road, he'll end up like many other performers like Michael Jackson - employing bad people who have no regard for the artist's fans.

Just can't get good help nowadays...

--- groink

TempestRider

Post by TempestRider » Nov 8th, '12, 18:18

whatever happened to bi? i feel bad reading all your posts,but i do hope he's doing okay now..i hate to see his talents go to waste :-(