[Discussion] Sexy Voice and Robo

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
k14

Post by k14 » Jun 13th, '07, 04:25

you can find ep9 subbed on crunchyroll

anyone know if ep 10 raw has been uploaded anywhere yet?

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Jun 13th, '07, 06:13

lzydata wrote:
The bench scene was nice - great backdrop - but I thought it was too short. Niko's monologues were great as always. But what I loved about this episode was the part where Niko's dad suggests to her that prayers are more like promises made between oneself and the kamisama, because it's not reliable enough to make promises with yourself on things you want to do. So true! This is the sort of thing that will stay with me long after all these assassin stories fade away :)
By the way, has anyone looked at the website's synopses for eps 10 and 11? I've tried translating them below, but it feels strange so I'll be grateful for any corrections or suggestions.
Ep10 "Sachiko": Makyouna and Nanashi come to Niko's house and ask to adopt her for 200m yen. Although Niko firmly rejects them, Kazumi, Takeo and Yukie don't seem to be too dissatisfied with the figure offered.

Meanwhile, Robo is suddenly taken by men clad in black to see the super-popular manga artist Nobuta Kon. Nobuta has had his fortune told, he begins, and it turns out that in his next life he will be Niko's child. In the middle of this, a great blackout strikes the streets...

Ep11 "Robo": Robo receives an order from Makyouna to get rid of a ghost haunting a particular hotel. Although for a moment Robo flatly refuses to get involved with ghosts and such things, he reluctantly agrees, and enters the rumored hotel with Niko.

As it happens, the "ghost" there, unbelievably, is Mikkabouzu (Nakamura Shido, from ep1), who had died some 3 months ago but doesn't understand that he's already dead. It falls on Robo and Niko to explain the "truth" to him...
Yes. Nico's monlogues are really great. I really like the way that, at the end of each episode, they have her pause and say the last words over the soundless title screen. It has really great impact--especially in the first episode, largely because it was the first time. But I also think it was just the strongest and most thought-provoking line of all of the episodes so far, although the one for episode nine was pretty powerful too.
As for the episode summaries--yes, I have read them. I'm really surprised to see that Mikkabouzu will be making an appearance again. I'm a little wary about the ghost thing, but I'm sure they can make it a good episode!

I'm just wondering whatever happened to the good-voice cell-phone guy from episode two... I thought he would have something to do with the story... And I'm also still wondering who wanted Makina to be killed by Mikkabouzu in episode one... She seemed surprised, so I highly doubt that it was the same case as when Pucchini tried to kill her, where she was the one behind it. I'm starting to think that a lot of these loose ends won't be tied together by the end...

Anyway, I was predicting that the Last Voice would be "Sexy Voice and Robo," so I was pretty close--it's just "Robo." I guess since the story is pretty much told from Nico's viewpoint, this title makes sense. I'm really excited to see the conclusion of this drama, but also sad at the same time... Although it had room for improvement in a few areas, it is definitely one of the most memorable dramas I have ever seen.

javinian

Post by javinian » Jun 13th, '07, 17:07

Hi guys. Anyone knows why ep 10 isnt released yet?

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Jun 13th, '07, 17:23

^ I don't know. But you can download the RAW here, where it is uploaded to MegaUpload:

http://narishun-kun.livejournal.com/

It's separated into two parts, and you need HJSplit to put them together. I'm downloading it right now, though I'm not sure I'll have the time to watch it today...

javinian

Post by javinian » Jun 13th, '07, 18:41

celticmoon wrote:^ I don't know. But you can download the RAW here, where it is uploaded to MegaUpload:

http://narishun-kun.livejournal.com/

It's separated into two parts, and you need HJSplit to put them together. I'm downloading it right now, though I'm not sure I'll have the time to watch it today...
Thank you so much!!! I'm leaving home for a month starting tomorrow so i was very looking forward to watch that one. :D

arigato gozaiMAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :salut:

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Jun 15th, '07, 05:30

I just watched episode ten. Another good episode. Although there wasn't much action or even too much of a climax, I still thought it was played out pretty well. I think a few plot points needed a little more development, but I guess 45 minutes is too short. (I feel like that is a the case for quite a few of the episodes--they don't have enough time to do everything that they want.) I'm disappointed to see that the stop motion scenes have completely disappeared since episode 6, but I guess the staff are just on too tight of a schedule, as there was no preview for the next episode yet again.

Just one more episode... I'm excited to see the finale, but also sad at the same time. This is definitely one of my most favorite dramas, and I think I might even buy the DVD box if and when it comes out.

Oh, and I started watching 'Suika' after I heard that it had the same writer(s) and producer. It's a brilliant drama, which is looking to become another favorite of mine. Just the feeling that it creates is so great. If you like 'Sexy Voice and Robo,' it might be one to check out. And of course, 'Nobuta wo Produce' is also by the same writer(s) and producer. I also really liked that one as well, though not as much as the other two. So I guess from now on I'm gonna have to look out for dramas where Kizara Izumi is listed as the writer.

k14

Post by k14 » Jun 16th, '07, 05:24

ep 10 hardsub is out!
on the same website that had the raw: http://narishun-kun.livejournal.com/

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » Jun 16th, '07, 17:31

aaaaaaaaaaa i feel so sad, the final ep is approaching ! i want to see Niko and Robo forever

oshuwel

Post by oshuwel » Jun 17th, '07, 08:49

I just watched episodes 1 & 2 the other day. I must say it's a nice drama! haha~ at first I thought I wouldn't like it, but after seeing the first two eps, I love it now!

Kenichi is such a great actor. Suzuka is so prettyy

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Jun 17th, '07, 12:41

chickenruns wrote:aaaaaaaaaaa i feel so sad, the final ep is approaching ! i want to see Niko and Robo forever
That's how I feel too!! :cry: :-)
Isn't it great to live in a family that you don't want to leave? :-) Even though now I came to appreciate all the sacrifice and hard work of my parents, especially my mother, in raising me, I'm afraid that at Niko's age I would have jumped at the chance to be adopted by someone like Maki-sama XD

The scene with the diary and the photo-albums was so touching :wub: and also the one with the mangaka and his wife finding each other's hands in the sand tunnel!

XD This series makes me cry almost each episode!

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Jun 21st, '07, 06:44

I just finished watching the finale. I'm usually not too happy with finales of many drama series, and, unfortunately, I wasn't completely satisifed with this finale either. It seemed a little rushed and underdeveloped, and seemed like it could have used two episodes to do everything that it wanted to do. It was by no means bad, but it could have been better.
What was most disappointing about the finale, however, was the fact that Nico and Robo's relationship came to a close. I was hoping it would end on a happier note, with implications that Nico and Robo would share a happy friendship for the rest of their lives. I know things like this do happen in real life, but I really wish that such a thing wouldn't have happened to Nico and Robo. Fortunately, some parts of Nico's monologue bring some hope to the chance of Nico and Robo being reunited one day, and I hope we do see a reunion in a sequel... though it's highly unlikely with the terrible ratings the show had.
Overall, however, it was a wonderful series, and it's really disappointing to see it end. As previous posters have mentioned, I wish that we could share in the lives of Nico and Robo forever. I'm definitely considering checking out the DVD (if and when it comes out), and really hoping that episode 7 will be included. 'Sexy Voice and Robo' isn't truly over until we see that one remaining episode.

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Jun 21st, '07, 09:30

Just watched the finale too. I think any final episode is hard if you like the drama, but unlike most, Sexy Voice and Robo's incorporated some of those feelings in the story. I get some comfort from Makina's and Robo's words. A new drama can't begin without an old one ending either :D We fans just have to keep this one in our hearts and minds, and perhaps with time more people will come to appreciate it.

But I agree, the really unfortunate business about episode 7 makes you feel there's still more to the show "out there."

k14

Post by k14 » Jun 22nd, '07, 20:49

ep 11 hardsubbed is out here

http://www.tvnihon.com/

enjoy!

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » Jun 22nd, '07, 22:31

This is the only drama I could watch 1000 eps or more if there were.. The stories were so much interesting and not boring at all. Although it ends in a untraditionnal way, there's still hope Niko and Robo will meet again and deploy together. After all, life is about meeting and separation, isn't it ?

but I can't help :cry:

Shadow Hexagram

Post by Shadow Hexagram » Jun 23rd, '07, 06:38

I've just finished ep11 and I found it beautiful in its pace and message. Oh, by the way, I've got a trick question here: does anyone know if what Yocchan sings in some episodes (you know, the "Professional... Shigoto...") was taken from a real song, or maybe a commercial, or if it's just something created for this drama?

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Jun 24th, '07, 04:24

k14 wrote:ep 11 hardsubbed is out here

http://www.tvnihon.com/

enjoy!
yatta~! Thank you!! :D :D

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Jun 24th, '07, 23:27

Shadow Hexagram wrote:Oh, by the way, I've got a trick question here: does anyone know if what Yocchan sings in some episodes (you know, the "Professional... Shigoto...") was taken from a real song, or maybe a commercial, or if it's just something created for this drama?
I originally thought it was just something made up for the drama, but it turns out that itt was taken from a real song. The original song is performed by Kimura Atsuki (木村充揮), a member of a disbanded blues band, Yuukadan (憂歌団), who were primarily active in the 70's and 80's. The song, entitled 'Professional' (プロフェッショナル), was included on his solo album released last year. You can listen to a sample of it on this page. The song was written by Koumoto Hiroto (甲本ヒロト), who is famous for being the vocalist for groups such as THE BLUE HEARTS and THE HIGH-LOWS, and currently THE CRO-MAGNONS.

Shadow Hexagram

Post by Shadow Hexagram » Jun 25th, '07, 03:57

Wahhhh, wonderful!!! thank you !!!

Nekolux

Post by Nekolux » Jun 26th, '07, 10:18

i only started watching this show last week and ken'ichi is sooo cute lol :w00t: :thumleft: hmmm too bad they didnt end up together and yesh i totally agree about the crying part .... every episode ends on such a deep and touching note :cry: .... i didnt really cry on all the episodes though only the first one .... it was so sad!!! he was like eating curry and then he almost killed the woman but then he exploded.....ok im not good with words but its sad! :cry:

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jul 9th, '07, 21:59

I didn't realize, till today, that Death Note's L was the same guy as Robo!!

I watched the entire series as they were subbed and re-watched DN1+2 last night (part of the NY AFF) and did not notice at all!!

Just now, as I was researching the Death Note prequel ("L"), I click on Matsuyama's profile and found that he played Robo! :goggle:

I have to say that he looks much older without the eye makeup and with the suit.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Jul 10th, '07, 06:07

^ Haha. That's funny. :lol He does look quite different with the make-up/hairstyles and whatnot, and does play the characters very differently. I think he's quite a good actor. The same goes for Ohgo Suzuka--her acting is just so natural. On the whole, I thought that 'Sexy Voice and Robo' had a great cast, including the guests. However, I was really bummed when the little kid in episode six was so bad at acting. Lol.

arabian

Post by arabian » Aug 21st, '07, 14:12

Does anyone know the Ending song for the drama??

VerusMaya II

Post by VerusMaya II » Aug 22nd, '07, 08:24

arabian wrote:Does anyone know the Ending song for the drama??
Hitotsu Dake by Mizuki.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Aug 27th, '07, 21:04

I just watched Deathnote, and only after that did I find Robo good-looking (because I found L good-looking). Seriously, those trousers he wears are soooo ugly and he's always doing those weird poses and making weird sounds like a monkey! But I really like his lips lol...

This is one of those series where it doesn't give you the happy ending you want for basically every episode - it's always bittersweet. And I always end up crying bwahahahaa

I usually hate sequels, but I'd love to see Robo and Niko paired up again...just for closure lol

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Aug 28th, '07, 19:40

It seems like a DVD box is set to be released on September 20 for 19,110 yen (14,333 yen on Amazon.co.jp). The set will include five discs--four of which will contain the eleven epidodes (including episode seven, which remains unaired), and one which will include special features, such as interviews and making footage. Included in the set will also be a special booklet, and the epidodes in the set will be a director's cut.

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying this set. A first for me, since I've neer bought DVDs for a TV show before. But this drama is just so great, and I'm sure it will be worth it.

Kanin

Post by Kanin » Aug 28th, '07, 21:22

I really liked Suzuka in this drama. She's as good as you can get at age 14 and I hope she will get future leads.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Aug 31st, '07, 01:53

Kanin wrote:I really liked Suzuka in this drama. She's as good as you can get at age 14 and I hope she will get future leads.
I totally agree. Matsuyama Kenichi was great too (he did a really convincing job in a role that was so unlike his previous roles), but I think Ohgo Suzuka was the star of this drama. Her acting just seems to come very naturally to her, and I think she's a step ahead of most of the early twenty-something actresses who land leading role after leading role in many dramas and movies. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on her future work, and it would really be great to see Matsuyama and her co-star again, preferrably reprising their roles as Robo and Nico (although I know that is highly unlikely with the terrible ratings that the show had--ratings that I feel were quite unjustified).

anythingthatrhymes

Post by anythingthatrhymes » Sep 3rd, '07, 05:10

this drama is so underrated!
only 7 pages of discussion?

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Sep 11th, '07, 06:33

For anyone interested, here is the webpage for the upcoming DVD release:

http://www.vap.co.jp/sexyvoice/dvd/index.html

It seems like there will be quite a bit of unreleased footage, especially in the first few episodes. I'm totally gonna buy the DVD box, although I'm not gonna be able to get it as soon as it comes out. :(

runpup

Post by runpup » Sep 30th, '07, 17:45

Unaired ep 7 with subs now available...

http://torrents.tvnihon.com/

Sayumi

Post by Sayumi » Sep 30th, '07, 18:11

runpup wrote:Unaired ep 7 with subs now available...

http://torrents.tvnihon.com/
thx for the link!
I was already wondering if they'd sub this epi as well or not

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Sep 30th, '07, 18:59

ditto, thanks for the link!

anythingthatrhymes

Post by anythingthatrhymes » Sep 30th, '07, 19:10

in the episode about love, the guy whose girlfriend died and niko does her voice over the phone
niko gets a call from a guy, wrong number
did we ever find out who it was? was it one of her classmates?

Sayumi

Post by Sayumi » Sep 30th, '07, 20:46

anythingthatrhymes wrote:in the episode about love, the guy whose girlfriend died and niko does her voice over the phone
niko gets a call from a guy, wrong number
did we ever find out who it was? was it one of her classmates?
no we didn't
at first I thought it was the thief-guy, but then I thought it might be the classmate who had seen her running i/t beginning o/t epi

h1e7l3i4a

Post by h1e7l3i4a » Aug 9th, '08, 08:14

Hachiko-chan wrote:Suzuka Ohgo is the only reason I even bothered to watch memoirs grrrr!
But I definetely have to see this seriers.
same here...
but i first saw sexy voice and robo before memoirs...
i didn't know suzuka back then... hehe

masaka___

Post by masaka___ » Oct 18th, '08, 05:04

I'm really late on this one, but I was just browsing through mysoju.com when I saw the title "Sexy Voice and Robo", and I thought: "Interesting..."

I've watched four episodes so far, and I regret not being aware of it when it first aired. It seems like it's too late to download this one due to lack of seeds, so I'll probably have to pick up the dvd box set.

I'm quite impressed with Suzuka Ohgo. This is my first time seeing her, and it's hard to believe she was only 14, because she seems so mature.

Sayumi

Post by Sayumi » Oct 18th, '08, 10:43

masaka___ wrote:I'm quite impressed with Suzuka Ohgo. This is my first time seeing her, and it's hard to believe she was only 14, because she seems so mature.
If you hadn't noticed already, she also plays the geisha when she was a little girl in 'memoirs of a geisha' (sayuri)
so her career is far greater than 'just' 'sexy voice and robo' :P

VerusMaya II

Post by VerusMaya II » Oct 18th, '08, 18:34

masaka___ wrote:I've watched four episodes so far, and I regret not being aware of it when it first aired. It seems like it's too late to download this one due to lack of seeds, so I'll probably have to pick up the dvd box set.
Though it's a small amount, these torrents are still seeded.

masaka___

Post by masaka___ » Oct 19th, '08, 23:10

VerusMaya II wrote:
masaka___ wrote:I've watched four episodes so far, and I regret not being aware of it when it first aired. It seems like it's too late to download this one due to lack of seeds, so I'll probably have to pick up the dvd box set.
Though it's a small amount, these torrents are still seeded.
Thanks for the link. Download started. :lol I might still get the boxed set just because I like it so much and want to support them.

I just finished watching this on mysoju.com, and I agree with everyone who says this drama was underrated. I enjoyed every episode.

masaka___

Post by masaka___ » Oct 21st, '08, 03:26

The torrents are seeded pretty well, now. :cheers:

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Oct 23rd, '08, 08:25

I'm still considering getting the DVD box eventually, though I haven't got it yet just because it's so expensive. But I definitely would like to see the director's cut versions of the episodes...

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 23rd, '08, 18:10

celticmoon wrote:I'm still considering getting the DVD box eventually, though I haven't got it yet just because it's so expensive. But I definitely would like to see the director's cut versions of the episodes...

I didn't know the box set had director's cut versions. This was such a good series, and very underrated. Not only were the leads great, but I really loved the supporting cast. Shinya Tsukamoto was just so different here from the roles he usually plays in the movies he directs. :wub:

My first experience with him was Tetsuo, which is definitely not a movie for everyone. But it was so bizarre, disturbing, and memorable that I always love to check out what he's doing next. Bullet Ballet, Tetsuo II, Snake of June, Nightmare Detective, etc... He often seems to play "The Guy" in his films. I kinda got used to the enigmatic, even nameless, antagonist surrounded by death (and usually plenty of blood and/or eroticism).

So Nico's adorable dad was a huge departure from what I'm used to with him. It's a difference of:

ImageImage

and

ImageImage

to

ImageImage

Seriously cool casting! 8)