Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Re: student teacher relationship

Post by Keiko1981 » May 7th, '07, 08:26

Brittany7890 wrote:Can anyone tell me any good student teacher relationship asian drama i can watch please?
Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003 (female student/male teacher):
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kou_Kou_Kyoushi_2003

"Majo no Jouken" (Forbidden Love) (male student/female teacher): http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Majo_no_jouken

I like "Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003" better than "Forbidden Love"

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 7th, '07, 09:52

Brittany7890 wrote:Can anyone tell me any good student teacher relationship asian drama i can watch please?
umm...Majou no Jouken.
Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003 weirded me out :crazy:
Stand Up! although the student/teacher relationship wasn't the main focus of the story. Hillarious.
S.o.S. but the s/t relationship played a minor role. Keiko1981, I think you'll like this. You were asking about something like KKK2003 right? It is as freaky as KKK.

Not a romance student/teacher thingy.
The obvious, GTO, Gokusen and lots of others that I haven't watch yet.

Also for Keiko1981 (if you are looking for painful love) try The Sleeping Forest, 100million Stars Falling from the sky (both by Takuya Kimura) & Taiyo wo Kisetsu (by Takizawa Hideaki)

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » May 7th, '07, 10:04

I just watched Medaka, that had a minor s/t relationship :3 Though it was more like they used to be student/student but they grew up and it became s/t? XD;
aishoni2 wrote:Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003 weirded me out :crazy:
S.o.S. but the s/t relationship played a minor role. Keiko1981, I think you'll like this. You were asking about something like KKK2003 right? It is as freaky as KKK.
Out of curiousity, what was freaky/weird about KKK2003? O:

edit; Forget what I said about Medaka, that was just...fail. *just watched the last episode* The drama was alright, but if you're looking for romance, don't bother |D
Last edited by Hanjae on May 7th, '07, 12:56, edited 2 times in total.

Brittany7890

Post by Brittany7890 » May 7th, '07, 12:53

thx fo r yor sggestions. i prefer male teaher and female stdent not other way arond. iv seen Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003 and 1993 my favorite jdramas. i wont watch forbidden love. and ive seen sos coldnt finish it . ty :-D :mrgreen:

sorairo

Post by sorairo » May 8th, '07, 00:59

Anyone have any J-Drama recommendation for me? I have finished watching Nobuta wo Produce and I did enjoy it, but not on the same level as I enjoy HYD or Nodame Cantabile.

J-Drama I have seen:
1 Litre of Tears
Gokusen
Gokusen 2
Great Teacher Onizuka
Great Teacher Onizuka Drama Special
Kimi wa Petto
Kurosagi
Nodama Cantabile
Nobuta wo Produce
Hana Yori Dango
Hana Yori Dango 2
Itazura na Kiss (watching right now)
Love Revolution
Water Boys

Seghal

Post by Seghal » May 8th, '07, 07:32

@sorairo:

Looks like you are more into comedy dramas. I'd recommend:
My Boss My Hero
Tiger & Dragon
Kekkon dekinai otoko

also I'd recommend:
Ikebukuro West Gate Park (has some comedy elements)

If you liked 1 Litre of Tears:
Sekai no chuushin de, ai wo sakebu

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 8th, '07, 08:12

Hoshiakari wrote: Out of curiousity, what was freaky/weird about KKK2003?
Everybody trying to get into each other pants. EVERYBODY! And they are still young & in school. KKK got rape in it.. raping spree (I'M EXAGERRATING :fight: ). KKK ending is just so.. :crazy: but Nari was amazinglyEVIL in it which was good.
Just my own personal opinion tho'. ^^v

Sorry Brittany. I haven't seen many male teacher/student romance in dorama much. Just in KKK. Maybe its about time they make another one.

sorairo: like Seghal I'm definitely recommend you My Boss My Hero. Kinda a combination of a little Hanadan & a bit of Nodame inserted into original adapted storyline from a Korean movie.

I'm also recommending Kisarazu Cat's Eye, Stand Up! & Lunch no Jyou. All really nice comedies

sorairo

Post by sorairo » May 8th, '07, 12:17

Thank you Seghal and aishoni2! I will definitely check out all of those dramas. :salut:
Last edited by sorairo on May 8th, '07, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » May 8th, '07, 18:23

Sorairo! Trick! You will LOVE Trick!

!_!

I'll also second Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, and add My Little Chef to the list.

Egao no Hosoku is also pretty good, but you'll have a helluva time trying to get it (few seeds).

But really... if you haven't seen Trick, you really really REALLY need to. It is by far the funniest jdrama I've seen. With two movies and three seasons there's a LOT of it, and it keeps getting better and better and better.

sorairo

Post by sorairo » May 8th, '07, 19:08

Alrighty then, more J-dramas to add to my list, and Trick sounds promising. Thank you Mwulf!

Brittany7890

Post by Brittany7890 » May 8th, '07, 19:42

Keiko1981 wrote:Could someone please suggest some jdoramas smiliar to "Kou Kou Kyoushi" and "Tsubasa no Oreta Tenshitachi"
I have downloaed "Seija no Koushin" but haven't watched it yet.

heres one I'm Still Loving You (1999) i cant find where to watch it, the opening for the the drama is youtube.com

Korean TV drama "I'm Still Loving you" (1999, MBC) starring Karm Woo-sung as a highschool Mathematics teacher who falls in love with his student (played by Chae Rim

zanydeath

Looking For J-Horror

Post by zanydeath » May 9th, '07, 05:30

Hello Everyone. Glad to be part of this place.

I'm looking for J-horror themed TV shows on torrent. Anything adult oriented and dark. Any suggestions? Thank you.

senakun

Post by senakun » May 9th, '07, 05:47

Ring ~ Saishusho

is the only one i've seen

torrent

narutaru
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by narutaru » May 9th, '07, 10:21

This is not quite the right section. I suggest you post this in the Japanese Drama section.

zanydeath

Post by zanydeath » May 9th, '07, 21:37

senakun wrote:Ring ~ Saishusho

is the only one i've seen

torrent

Thanks, but perhaps I should've been more specific? Please omit anything that the entire world has seen. :mrgreen: ... :-)

The Ringu series is fine, but I'm looking for anything like older TV programs by Takashi Miike and any current horror series from Japanese Cable/satellite or DTV stuff.

Please feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong forum.

beer

Post by beer » May 9th, '07, 21:51

Food Fight is about the only thing that comes to mind. The crow used to scare me out of my wits.

diaverde238

Densha Otoko - other shows like it?

Post by diaverde238 » May 14th, '07, 00:30

Hi,

I've recently discovered Densha Otoko and love it. What other shows from Japan are worth watching?

Thanks much!

Strider

Post by Strider » May 14th, '07, 03:44

Just started watching 1 Litre of Tears and it's really good, though I think it should be changed to "Endless Tears"...(you'll know what I mean if you watch it). It's really sad, but it's good to watch, this is one of the rare jdrama shows you can learn something from.

- "Some people say crying is good because it cleanses the soul, though it can never be scientifically proven, we at least know it provides a good night sleep."

The other stuff I would recommend is probably already mentioned, but I usually base the stuff I want to watch on reviews from this website:
http://jdorama.com/topdramas.htm

I got this from a d-addict forum, (most likely buried in this one) enjoy.

Mwulf

Re: Densha Otoko - other shows like it?

Post by Mwulf » May 14th, '07, 06:47

diaverde238 wrote:Hi,

I've recently discovered Densha Otoko and love it. What other shows from Japan are worth watching?

Thanks much!
Trick. Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, and both movies. You will love it. I promise you on the assorted graves of my varied ancestors.

~___~

Other than that, you ought to check out:

Dragon Zakura
My Little Chef
My Boss My Hero
Hero
Kekkon Dekinai Otoko
Great Teacher Onizuka (not as good as the others, IMO)
Last Christmas*

Save for the last one (Last Christmas) the titles I recommended are all mostly light-hearted, fun things. Some of them are hilarious (trick and Kekkon Dekinai Otoko being some of the FUNNIEST things I've seen in my entire life.

Before someone hits you with it, lemme mention that while Hana Yori Dango is very, very popular here... it's also rather bad. Avoid it like the plague, unless you're overly fond of stories involving girls that fall in love with guys that try to gang-rape them.

floydian

Post by floydian » May 14th, '07, 07:59

Strider wrote:The other stuff I would recommend is probably already mentioned, but I usually base the stuff I want to watch on reviews from this website:
http://jdorama.com/topdramas.htm
To be honest, that's not really a very accurate list. No doubt there's quality shows on it, but overall it's more of a popularity list.
diaverde238 wrote:Hi,

Thanks much!
Just to add on to Mwulf, you may also want to try...

Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu (Pure love)
Orange Days (Romance, friendship)
Mukodono (Family, romance, comedy)
Odoru Daisousasen (Police, comedy)
Jyoou no Kyoushitsu (School)
Shiroi Kyoto (Medical, political)

There's plenty of other good shows but these few are probably the best in their genre.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » May 14th, '07, 11:52

Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi (One Million Stars Falling from the Sky / The Smile Has Left Your Eyes) i watched this series like a week ago and i'm still speechless.

pubbie

JDorama with an Alpha-male main character?

Post by pubbie » May 16th, '07, 18:26

Please tell me if you guys know of a drama in which the main character is very manly and cool. A leader, basically. Sort of like the main character in My Boss My Hero, and like Halu-san in Pride. To give you an example of what I don't like and how much I don't like it: I was screaming at the screen when watching Densha Otoko (still watched the whole thing because it was funny). Densha Otoko is THE most beta-male dude ever. So please comment, I will be very grateful :)

kokitty

Re: JDorama with an Alpha-male main character?

Post by kokitty » May 17th, '07, 03:20

pubbie wrote:Please tell me if you guys know of a drama in which the main character is very manly and cool. A leader, basically. Sort of like the main character in My Boss My Hero, and like Halu-san in Pride.
Most japanese actors are kinna typecasted in a way. Just go try the other drama offerings that the My Boss My Hero actor (Nagase Tomoya) and Pride actor (Kimura Takuya) had done over the years. They have done a lot of cool Alpha male types roles.

On top of my mind, these would be the Alpha male roles. Nagase - Tiger and Dragon, IWGP. Kimura - Engine, Good Luck! , HERO (to a certain extent)

Other actors who are frequently cast in Alpha male roles include Sorimachi Takashi - GTO, Wonderful Life (to a certain extent). Sakaguchi Kenji (the other male lead in Pride) - Iryu. Hideaki Ito - Umizaru. Hayami Mokomichi (the brother in Densha Otoko) - Regetta, Brother Beat (to a certain extent). Abe Hiroshi - Dragon Zakura (to a certain extent). Takahashi Katsunori - Tokumei Kakarichou Tadano Hitoshi series.

Basically you have got to at least have the LOOKS to protray alpha male characters. Mr Densha Otoko can never be an alpha male unfortunately no matter how good an actor he is. Anyway, you don't see so many alpha male types lead roles in dramas these days. Most of the up and coming "hot" actors are not alpha male types. Even when you have a renowned alpha male character adapted from manga (etc Hana Yori Dangyo), once an actor who doesn't quite fit/can pull off the alpha male characteristics perfectly is casted, the "alpha" effect of the role is compromised.

zenkzenk

Post by zenkzenk » May 17th, '07, 04:46

Check out Iryu Team Medical Dragon. The male lead is cool, kick-ass, muscular --- definitely not wimpy.

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 17th, '07, 04:55

kokitty makes a good point. i was really scratching my head trying to think of an "ugly" alpha male from a dorama/jmovie. i think you can get away with it in the states though. i won't name actors cuz i don't really think anyone is ugly...but i understand the general definition of it.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 18th, '07, 03:02

zenkzenk wrote:Check out Iryu Team Medical Dragon. The male lead is cool, kick-ass, muscular --- definitely not wimpy.

Yep! That's Sakaguchi Kenji, who also played Yamato in Pride. He's awesome in Iryu. Excellent drama! He also has that strong, rule-breaker attitude in it. The ultimate alpha! One of my favorite dramas ever, and it has to top any list I could make for an alpha male in a series.
kokitty makes a good point. i was really scratching my head trying to think of an "ugly" alpha male from a dorama/jmovie. i think you can get away with it in the states though. i won't name actors cuz i don't really think anyone is ugly...but i understand the general definition of it.
I think Sakaguchi Kenji, Ito Hideaki, Sorimachi Takashi, Nagase Tomoya, and Kimura Takuya are all absolutely gorgeous! The thing is they all look very masculine at the same time. I think that's what kokitty was getting at by looks. Strong jawlines, masculine brows, not overly skinny bodies... and most importantly they all project the kind of confidence that an alpha male exudes.

For example, as much as I love Matsumoto Jun, his looks never convey a sense of strength or masculinity. He's got more delicate/feminine features and a slighter build, so he's physically a pretty boy type. While he has tons of charisma, he doesn't quite project the kind of strength that convinces me he's ready to kick ass as Domyouji. That doesn't bother me for that role though, because Hana Yori Dango was such a shoujo manga that Domyouji never struck me as truly alpha... he's the shoujo wannabe equivalent of it. Seriously, like anyone would cower in front of a bunch of guys named the Flower 4.... *chuckle* No alpha male would be caught dead in that group!

Hmmm... as far as other sources of alpha males goes....

I'm just starting Bengoshi no Kuzu (Scum of Lawyers) and Toyokawa Etsushi is playing an alpha main character in it really. He's a scummy lawyer, who likes womanizing, and he's amazing/assertive in the courtroom... ready to win by any means. Considering the role, Toyokawa is very frumped up from how handsome he really is. Ito Hideaki plays a more beta male in this one (though still assertive), as the rookie and square lawyer who Kuzu is teamed with. Good comedy so far, and Kuzu is very entertaining!

I would consider Akiyama in LIAR GAME to be an alpha male. He's a genius swindler, with tons of confidence. Even with his very pretty features, Matsuda Shota has been able to pull it off wonderfully imo, especially since Akiyama strength is in being able to control those around him through psychological manipulation rather than brute strength. Akiyama has the personality of an alpha male and is definitely a leader.

I'm not sure if you need series to be subbed for you, but if raw is okay I'm enjoying Kodoku no Kake. Ito Hideaki is playing a high powered businessman in it who is also very alpha. I think his kissing/love scenes so far in this one have topped Kimura's ones in Pride, and that's no small compliment from me. :wub: Anyhow... lots of manipulation, plotting, seduction, and grey characters in this series.

IWGP is a given.... Nagase was very alpha male in it. So was Sakaguchi Kenji--heck he even got his nose pierced for this role, iirc. And Watanabe Ken's in here too!

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » May 19th, '07, 22:45

This is essentially a request for recommendations, so merging...

itachi666

Post by itachi666 » May 20th, '07, 03:28

x_XJules wrote:Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi (One Million Stars Falling from the Sky / The Smile Has Left Your Eyes) i watched this series like a week ago and i'm still speechless.
I watched It about a year ago and it still gets me depressed when I remember it.

ririe

Post by ririe » May 20th, '07, 04:32

just my personal review:

# gokusen 1 & 2 - watch it if you want to see pretty boys with funny student-teacher story. i like matsu jun's style here, compared to HYD.
# hana yori dango 2 - i didn't watch the first, but the sequel is good. but, i don't like domyouji.
# my boss my hero - make you laugh since the first episode, it's very funny.
# nobuta wo produce - good story about friendship. don't give up watching on the first episode.
# princess princess D - totally not reccomended, i don't know if you like boys with lolita dress. i can't understand why the comic is so popular.
# kira kira kenshui - reccomended. it's not only funny, but also give you fighting spirit for your job, even it's not as a doctor.
# anego - i like shinohara ryoko, here she act very good. the story itself is contented.
# unfair - another shinohara ryoko's performance. very good detective story. i give two thumbs up for this drama.
# kindaichi - kamenashi kazuya acts good as a young detective. the vampire story is odd, but finally i find out a nice explanation about blood things. not as scary as I thinked before.
# detective conan - too many coincidence. i like the comic books very much, so i've got dissapointed with this movie.
# nodame cantabile - i like the comical scene in this drama. i didn't read the comic, but by watching this drama, i feel like reading comic. really funny.
# attention please - i like the story about cabin attendants, funny ueto aya, and a fast moving scene. cool!
# attention please SP hawaii - eventhough i like attention please, this SP is dissaponted me. ueto aya become very annoying in this drama, but the story about ALOHA inspiring me.

please suggest me another funny drama. thank you...

gelli93

Post by gelli93 » May 24th, '07, 04:02

Recommendations:

1)Hana Yori Dango- Taken from the manga and anime with the same title Hana Yori Dango...this dorama make a lil bit controversi because of there are a previous version from taiwan that become a blast a couple of years ago.

However..dont espect it will be totally the same with the manga and the taiwan version, Hana Yori Dango dorama will come out with better story telling [not that long]...and also better Cast and Crew [not just selling faces, but also acting-no offence for f4 lovers] just watch it and you'll understand what am i talking about ^0^

HIGHLY RECCOMENDED!! :D

2)Hana Yori Dango 2- I swear, this season is better than the 1st one although both are really amazing! I love sojiro and yuuki here.^___^ And the ending (surprise!) is super good! jun is super cute as always! :-)

3)Gokusen- it's really great.. i thought.. so much of a higher calibre than GTO.. at least now you have students who can act and are funny to boot.. nakama yukie was very successful as yankumi.. and it seems like all due to this drama she has gone to greater heights in japan.. matsumoto jun is convincing as shin.. as i watched the drama.. i cannot help hoping matsujun would one day tell yankumi about his feelings for her.. :) the other guys are good too.. and they complement shin to like form a group of five guys with wierd appearances but kind hearts.. best drama i've watched for since a long time.. simply cannot forget the plot..

4)Gokusen 2- Decided to watch this drama because of the conflicting reviews people were giving and see for myself just how good or bad it is. Have only watched the first episode and am halfway thru the second and so far - it's not too bad.

5)Beautiful Life- heart-warming dorama.. takuya kimura & takako tokiwa has very strong chemistry.. it makes this dorama highly recomendded!!!

6)Ichi Ritoru No Namida- Soo sad.. You really can't be human if you're not even slightly touched after watching this. Moving, unforgetable, beautiful.. it's.. WOW.

7)GTO- I enjoyed every minute of this drama. Inspiring, funny, heart-warming; it is simply awesome! This drama has aspects that can appeal to almost anyone.

8)Nobuto No Produce- Love the story. One of the best I've ever seen.

9)Long Vacation- Definitely one of the best, and most unconventional, love stories I've ever seen portrayed in a drama. The characters are fabulous in a powerful plot.

10)Kimi Wa Petto- When I first heard of the drama, I thought it must have been the most hentai dorama plot ever. I STILL think it's the silliest thing I have ever watched, but I now love it to bits! I must say, the drama really grows on you, although I have never been a fan of Koyuki, her character, Sumire, will leave a big impact on you.

Kimi wa Petto is a story of how a woman learns that one must allow herself to exhibit her true self before love can find them. It is inspirational and moving, and even though I didn't cry thru this like other carthartic doramas, it always kept me on the verge of tears.

The casting is excellent. Koyuki was charming, and I must say, she is indeed an excellent actress. Jun was very winning as Momo, he really did look like a dog so much when he was lying on the floor and wagging his limbs in the air! He is just too adorable! I challenge everyone to watch this and not fall in love with Matsumoto Jun! Quite a lot of people commented on his dancing, but frankly, I don't think I saw enough of it to convince me he was truely passionate about his dancing.

And the CHEMISTRY! Wah, you'll find yourself pining for the moment when Sumire and Momo get together for the whole length of the drama! Yes! It really gets you THAT involved! So those of you who are thinking you're going to give this drama a pass because it sounds so stupid. DON'T! It is truly an excellent drama, and I assure you, you will be pleasantly surprised.

HONGRY

Post by HONGRY » May 29th, '07, 01:19

DO anybody know any goodd jdramas alittle similar to Nodame Cantabile? More of like Comedy/Romance type?

I highly recommend Nodame Cantabile, Attention Please, and Liar Game. I watched many but those dramas are realllllllly awesome.

stefan

Post by stefan » May 29th, '07, 02:01

HONGRY wrote:DO anybody know any goodd jdramas alittle similar to Nodame Cantabile? More of like Comedy/Romance type?

I highly recommend Nodame Cantabile, Attention Please, and Liar Game. I watched many but those dramas are realllllllly awesome.
stuff id check out-

last christmas (this is one of my fav series ever. i watch this every christmas/holiday season & it makes me feel great)
stand up!! - its not done being eng. subbed, but its a great series.
moto kare
summer snow

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » May 29th, '07, 09:55

I wanted to know if anyone can recommend what they think are the most controversial dramas? Ones that deal with dark, taboo and twisted subjects.

I just finished watching Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003 (loved it!) and I have started watching Kou Kou Kyoushi 1993. I have also watched Byakuyakou and loved it too!!!

Anyone else have "dark and taboo" drama recommendations like these??? :P

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 29th, '07, 13:59

i am also in need of another round of dark dorama's. Mitsuka-san if you find one let me know. I liked the above two drama's too. Sleeping Forrest is kinda dark, but it was too slow for me.

Actually I asked this question a while ago. I only checked out Sleeping Forrest...so the other ones may be worthwhile.

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_p581590.htm

japysia

Post by japysia » May 29th, '07, 14:27

MitsukaiKuroi wrote:I wanted to know if anyone can recommend what they think are the most controversial dramas? Ones that deal with dark, taboo and twisted subjects.

I just finished watching Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003 (loved it!) and I have started watching Kou Kou Kyoushi 1993. I have also watched Byakuyakou and loved it too!!!

Anyone else have "dark and taboo" drama recommendations like these??? :P
I'd recommend:
Seija no Koushin http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Seija_No_Koushin

ruisu

Post by ruisu » May 29th, '07, 14:34

Funny you mention that drama. The lead man in it is Issei Ishida http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492784/
Kimyo na sakasu (Strange Circus) is about as taboo as it gets.

Actually if you really like the strange...check out more japanese movies (asiandvdclub). They really push the edge out there.

zenitse

Post by zenitse » May 29th, '07, 19:45

Try Sora kara furu ichioku no hoshi, seija no koushin (a little different though), Xenos

Ginoru

Post by Ginoru » May 29th, '07, 23:34

Hi, does someone know where could a get the "Doraemon" Live action? I am curious about it.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » May 30th, '07, 09:43

ruisu wrote:
Actually I asked this question a while ago. I only checked out Sleeping Forrest...so the other ones may be worthwhile.

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_p581590.htm
Thank you ruisa, japysia and zenitse! I am going to start checking through those dramas! I can only deal with so much "happy and lovey dovey" dramas for so long before I need something different.

And I love Japanese movies as well ruisa-san! I know this is not the place to discuss it but movies like "Ichi The Killer" are my absolute faves! :D

roninbuddha

Post by roninbuddha » May 30th, '07, 17:13

im kinda new (since last year only) to this whole dorama thing. i've watched the popular ones like GTO, Gokusen, Nobuta wo Produce, DenshaOtoko, and currently watching Sexy Voice and Robo as well as HanaYoriDango..

anyways, im a bigger J/K-movie fan, any my favorites are ganster/triad/yakuza/gang themed movies (Dead or Alive, Hanabi, A Bittersweet Life, etc.. anything Yakuza/Triad)

i was wondering if such 'themes' exists in doramas.... and which ones would you reccomend?

Magicus

Post by Magicus » May 30th, '07, 18:57

roninbuddha wrote:im kinda new (since last year only) to this whole dorama thing. i've watched the popular ones like GTO, Gokusen, Nobuta wo Produce, DenshaOtoko, and currently watching Sexy Voice and Robo as well as HanaYoriDango..

anyways, im a bigger J/K-movie fan, any my favorites are ganster/triad/yakuza/gang themed movies (Dead or Alive, Hanabi, A Bittersweet Life, etc.. anything Yakuza/Triad)

i was wondering if such 'themes' exists in doramas.... and which ones would you reccomend?
As far as gangster dramas, I haven't come across one that is very well done like "Hanabi."

I would say try IWGP as it's the closest I've seen to capturing the true spirit of REAL gangs. There are other gang related dramas out there but they basically just sugar coat everything (for example, Tiger and Dragon. Although you might enjoy that drama if you just want to watch a clever comedy).

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » May 30th, '07, 19:11

Does anyone have any recommendations for dramas that is like Haikei, chichiue-sama? An intense yet light-hearted and beautiful story?

floydian

Post by floydian » May 31st, '07, 03:56

<3s-tei. wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for dramas that is like Haikei, chichiue-sama? An intense yet light-hearted and beautiful story?
Have you check out Yasashii Jikan before? It's by the same writer (Kuramoto Sou) who wrote Haikei, Chichiue-sama, starring Ninomiya Kazunari again. I can't really think of any other dramas similar to these two since their style is very different from your typical jdoramas.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » May 31st, '07, 07:20

roninbuddha wrote:<snip>

Most of the dramas that I have come across that deal with yakuza/gangs tend to have more comedic elements to it or they are not the central theme but an element in the drama.

"My Boss My Hero" is a great comedy that combines School themes and yakuza! I was dying with laughter watching this one!

Kisarazu Cat's Eye has a few little references to yakuza in there but it is also a comedy.

I agree that "Ikebukuro West Gate Park" was the only one that I have watched that has a whole "gang" theme to it and it is a great drama as well.

"Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu" is one that I have not watched but I am trying to get because it deals with a yakuza theme so I do not know if it is any good or not.

Unfortunately I have not found any dramas that would make Takashi Miike proud! :P LOL Maybe someone else has had better luck than I have.

Hope this helps a little!

evil4ever

Post by evil4ever » May 31st, '07, 17:13

Hi I want to watch a new Japanese drama but I don’t know what to download … I already downloading proposal daisakusen :wub: : but :unsure: I want to watch a real romantic jdrama can any one recommend a new + romantic j drama ? :-) thanks :D

poledra

Post by poledra » May 31st, '07, 18:09

I am just like you!
Looking for a romantic Jdrama!*
So if someone have an answer please say it!

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » May 31st, '07, 18:13

floydian wrote:
<3s-tei. wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations for dramas that is like Haikei, chichiue-sama? An intense yet light-hearted and beautiful story?
Have you check out Yasashii Jikan before? It's by the same writer (Kuramoto Sou) who wrote Haikei, Chichiue-sama, starring Ninomiya Kazunari again. I can't really think of any other dramas similar to these two since their style is very different from your typical jdoramas.
Thanks! I'll definitely check it out some time.~

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 31st, '07, 18:49

evil4ever wrote:Hi I want to watch a new Japanese drama but I don’t know what to download … I already downloading proposal daisakusen :wub: : but :unsure: I want to watch a real romantic jdrama can any one recommend a new + romantic j drama ? :-) thanks :D

New as in from this season? You could try Hotelier. It's a "remake" of a Korean drama, and it's probably about the most romantic drama I've seen from this spring's lineup.

evil4ever

Post by evil4ever » May 31st, '07, 21:36

ryoko11 wrote:
evil4ever wrote:Hi I want to watch a new Japanese drama but I don’t know what to download … I already downloading proposal daisakusen :wub: : but :unsure: I want to watch a real romantic jdrama can any one recommend a new + romantic j drama ? :-) thanks :D

New as in from this season? You could try Hotelier. It's a "remake" of a Korean drama, and it's probably about the most romantic drama I've seen from this spring's lineup.
Yes I thought about downloading this drama but because I have seen the real one the Kdrama hotelier I don’t think I will be excited to watch the same story but with different language :unsure: :whistling: .. but u know what I will download this drama or maybe I will make my friend download it for me <<< i know using my friends :whistling: … yes and I can watch it in summer vacation :w00t: .what a great idea . :cheers: . thanks a lot for helping me :thumright:

roninbuddha

Post by roninbuddha » Jun 1st, '07, 03:02

thanks Magicus and MitsukaiKuroi, will check those out..

oh btw, wasn't 'Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu' a song? :P

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Jun 1st, '07, 07:58

IMO most Japanese dramas are not truly "romantic" like Korean dramas. Personally that is why I like them more! LOL (no offense to anyone that really loves KDrama.)

The most romantic ones that I have seen and fallen in love with are

Densha Otoko - I absolutely loved this! It is romantic, sweet, funny and touching. If you want simple eye candy this is not for you but if you want a beautiful build up to two people falling in love despite the odds this is it!

Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2 - Despite the idea that some people don't like this it is the true Cinderella story Japanese style! LOL It is romantic enough to rival a KDrama and still has a lot of fun and interesting storyline.

Crying Out Love, in the Center of the World - If you can stand a few tears with a lot of romance then this is for you! It is a beautiful tale about love and learning to love again.

Tatta Hitotsu no Koi - Another show that some people did not like but I really enjoyed. It is a simple romance story and it is nicely done.

Maybe someone else can recommend some hardcore romance in the JDrama category because I am not the most "romantic" person but these really made me feel warm and cushy inside! :D
roninbuddha wrote:oh btw, wasn't 'Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu' a song? :P
Actually there was a song by this title!!! :D

Hiroko Yakushimaru - Sailor Fuku to Kikanju on YouTube

javinian

Post by javinian » Jun 1st, '07, 10:51

For this season, i would definitely recommend SEXYVOICE & ROBO.

I wasnt going to watch it since not interested by the plot nor the actors, but it absolutely blew my mind. Refreshing.

This drama looks dumb and not very serious, but it's actually very deep and touching. I give it an A. ;)

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Jun 2nd, '07, 01:10

Can you say anything else about it? I remember reading the manga some time ago and enjoying it... well drawn, interesting plot and all that... but it wasn't particularly funny.

evil4ever

Post by evil4ever » Jun 3rd, '07, 15:56

MitsukaiKuroi wrote:
IMO most Japanese dramas are not truly "romantic" like Korean dramas. Personally that is why I like them more! LOL (no offense to anyone that really loves KDrama.)

The most romantic ones that I have seen and fallen in love with are

Densha Otoko - I absolutely loved this! It is romantic, sweet, funny and touching. If you want simple eye candy this is not for you but if you want a beautiful build up to two people falling in love despite the odds this is it!

Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2 - Despite the idea that some people don't like this it is the true Cinderella story Japanese style! LOL It is romantic enough to rival a KDrama and still has a lot of fun and interesting storyline.

Crying Out Love, in the Center of the World - If you can stand a few tears with a lot of romance then this is for you! It is a beautiful tale about love and learning to love again.

Tatta Hitotsu no Koi - Another show that some people did not like but I really enjoyed. It is a simple romance story and it is nicely done.

Maybe someone else can recommend some hardcore romance in the JDrama category because I am not the most "romantic" person but these really made me feel warm and cushy inside! :D
roninbuddha wrote:oh btw, wasn't 'Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu' a song? :P
Actually there was a song by this title!!! :D

Hiroko Yakushimaru - Sailor Fuku to Kikanju on YouTube
thank u sooo much :-) i think i will download densha otoko since there are someone who is seeding this drama :-) thanks again :salut:

Icetron

Post by Icetron » Jun 6th, '07, 04:20

Hello, I just wanted to ask for some recommendations.

A little bit about what I've watched before. I have seen a couple of JDramas in Cantonese, only one I remember the name of is GTO. Other than that I've seen Densha Otoko and akihabara@Deep. I finished Densha and loved it, probably one of my favourite stories ever. As for akihabara, I didn't like it a lot so I didn't continue it. A few days ago I finished watching Taiyou no Uta too, I liked it. :)

Currently trying One Litre of Tears, I know it's another sad one...that's why I'm posting here to ask for some suggestons. I want to watch some kind of romance series with a bit of comedy maybe, but I'm open to try out other things as well. If you watch anime and have seen Honey & Clover, I want to watch a drama that is sort of like that maybe. I dunno, I hope my post didn't bore you from recommending stuff to me. :p

skrible

Post by skrible » Jun 6th, '07, 07:29

Hi guys, Just got into Jdrama like 1-2 weeks ago. Loved the few series i have watched so far/ and are currently watching.

-proposal daisakusen
-NwP
-1 LoT ( My favourite of the lot. Really inspiring )
-My boss My hero
-Dragon Zakura
-Liar Game
-Kurosagi
-Gokusen
-GTO

=p i know the list is a little short but i hope to accumulate more as i get more into jdrama. I hope someone will recommend like maybe a 1)high school themed drama. 2)Romance with A LITTLE comedy.(After 1 LoT, i doubt that i can survive another drama of that genre.) 3) Or something like Liar Game/Kurosagi (Suspense, well Kurosagi isnt really suspenseful :/)

Thanks in advance

caiolexis

Loving every minute of "Stand Up", now, which othe

Post by caiolexis » Jun 6th, '07, 20:49

Hi all,

I am pretty new to J-Drama, I have seen Kimi Wa Petto, Love & Fight and Ace o Naerae. I loved all of them.

Nowdays, I'm watching Stand Up and I really like it, I like the energy of the friendship between the 5 main characters.

What I would like to have are your recommendation for other Japanes Dramas?
If I love Stand Up, which other drama would I enjoy as much (or even more!)?

Thanks in advance for your insights in J-Drama :D

Yoroshiku
--
Alexis

kozumifan

Post by kozumifan » Jun 6th, '07, 21:01

gokusen
nobuta wo produce
kurosagi

:)

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » Jun 6th, '07, 21:02

Proposal Daisakusen
Sore Wa Totsuzen, arashi no you ni
Ikebukuro West Gate Park

kozumifan

Post by kozumifan » Jun 6th, '07, 21:13

yeah prodai.. but hopefully u'll find masami very annoying

jk

<3s-tei.

Post by <3s-tei. » Jun 6th, '07, 21:32

Nobuta. wo Produce, Orange Days, and H2 are the ones that're coming out of the top of my head.

tasmaniandevil

Post by tasmaniandevil » Jun 7th, '07, 16:46

hmm.. nobuta and my boss my hero are my top choices for recommendations
den yan papa, h2, dragon zakura are good too :roll

HappyPear

Post by HappyPear » Jun 8th, '07, 03:29

well, my favorites would have to be:

1. 1 Litre of Tears (it inspired me...)
2. Summer Snow
3. Nobuta wo Produce
4. Strawberry on the Shortcake
5. My Boss My Hero
6. Last Christmas

thats my top 6...

swiftly

Post by swiftly » Jun 9th, '07, 19:39

i havent watched much but the ones i did watch, i liked all of them :D

Hana Yori Dango 1, 2 (got me into this dramas) :D
1 litre of tears
Nobuta Wo Produce
Attack No. 1
Great Teacher Onizuka

great dramas :D

vampirehunter-d

What drama is this? Attention all Japanese drama fans !

Post by vampirehunter-d » Jun 10th, '07, 05:51

Hey guys I hope you can help. I know a lot of you watch heaps of Japanese drama. Some time this year a Japanese drama was aired and it still maybe airing now. It's a school drama about a kid who goes to high school and finds out everyone is afraid of him because [ I think his older brothers went there before him and started up a bad reputation ]

Can anyone tell me what the name of the drama is? It's meant to be a comedy.

Thanks so much ! :D

japysia

Re: What drama is this? Attention all Japanese drama fans !

Post by japysia » Jun 10th, '07, 06:16

vampirehunter-d wrote:Hey guys I hope you can help. I know a lot of you watch heaps of Japanese drama. Some time this year a Japanese drama was aired and it still maybe airing now. It's a school drama about a kid who goes to high school and finds out everyone is afraid of him because [ I think his older brothers went there before him and started up a bad reputation ]

Can anyone tell me what the name of the drama is? It's meant to be a comedy.

Thanks so much ! :D
Elite Yankee Saburo
info: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Elite_Yankee_Saburo
torrents: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... +all&sort=

vampirehunter-d

Thanks so much !

Post by vampirehunter-d » Jun 10th, '07, 08:08

Thanks so much japysia ! It was very good of you to answer my question. Do you think anyone will sub it?

Sincerely :-)

C1imaX

Looking for some highschool/collage jdramas. Suggestions??

Post by C1imaX » Jun 17th, '07, 03:33

Im new to the asian drama scene and I was hoping for some guidance. :D Im looking for some j-dramas that are highschool/collage related.

Particular Genre: Comedy/Romance or just Comedy (no sad ones) ie. 1 litre of tears...very good drama but sad :(

Im looking for something that is similar to "Hana Yori Dango" and "Nobuta wo Produce"
(Which BTW are my favs!!!)

***Also... I would prefer dramas that are fairly new… 2004++**
(Not into old dramas like GTO or Gokusen… I know there are really good too but Im just looking for newer dramas)

Thanks for anyone that could help me ^.^

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jun 17th, '07, 04:10

I am assume you already seen Nodame Cantabile. There are two other recent college dramas I could think of, Orange Days and Boku Dake no Madonna. Couple of recent high school sport dramas that have comedy and romance are H2 and Waterboys 1&2. I am waiting for rest of Stand Up! to finish getting sub, now that's a comedy series about high school students with a great cast.

fto_osakadreams

Re: Looking for some highschool/collage jdramas. Suggestions

Post by fto_osakadreams » Jun 17th, '07, 04:16

C1imaX wrote:Im new to the asian drama scene and I was hoping for some guidance. :D Im looking for some j-dramas that are highschool/collage related.

Particular Genre: Comedy/Romance or just Comedy (no sad ones) ie. 1 litre of tears...very good drama but sad :(
Although it's not strictly Highschool/college related this seasons drama Proposal Daisakusen has some really great highschool/college scenes and it's a very touching, sweet, and fun drama.

My Boss My Hero was hilarious too.

Starting in July there will also be Hana Kimi, and Yamada Taro Mongatari which both look like promising shows. So does Papa to Musume Nanokakan

And a few other shows I found funny were Attention Please and Akihabara@DEEP although neither have school settings. Hope that helps~ (though I doubt you'll ever find a highschool drama as good as Nobuta :-) )

groink

Post by groink » Jun 17th, '07, 04:20

Woah... Is Gokusen already old?

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jun 17th, '07, 07:19

groink wrote:Woah... Is Gokusen already old?
I think my walker has just been "graduated" to a wheelchair now... :|
Which means you've got one foot in the grave? :fear:
Just kidding... :lol

biniBningPunkista

Re: Looking for some highschool/collage jdramas. Suggestions

Post by biniBningPunkista » Jun 17th, '07, 11:31

fto_osakadreams wrote:
C1imaX wrote:Im new to the asian drama scene and I was hoping for some guidance. :D Im looking for some j-dramas that are highschool/collage related.

Although it's not strictly Highschool/college related this seasons drama Proposal Daisakusen has some really great highschool/college scenes and it's a very touching, sweet, and fun drama.

My Boss My Hero was hilarious too.

Starting in July there will also be Hana Kimi, and Yamada Taro Mongatari which both look like promising shows. So does Papa to Musume Nanokakan

And a few other shows I found funny were Attention Please and Akihabara@DEEP although neither have school settings. Hope that helps~ (though I doubt you'll ever find a highschool drama as good as Nobuta :-) )
here are my recommended jdorama:
hana yori dango 1 and 2 - the real shoujou (personal favorite)
Gukusen 1 and 2
Nobuta Wo Produce - about friendship (personal favorite)
Ace wo nerae - sports loving
Hanazakari no Kimitachi e - another real shoujou (upcoming this July)

also very shoujou-ish but does not involve college and school stuff
kimi wa petto - this would be really nice
Bambino - more like cooking lessons, but also life lessons could be learned here

i would still like to recommend several jdorama's but those are non-shoujou stuff...

hope you'd like the list.. you can look it up in the d-addicts thread to know about the synopsis.

deawere

Post by deawere » Jun 17th, '07, 14:09

here are some of my favourites
Proposal Daisakusen
Bambino!
Nobuta Wo Produce
Kurosagi
Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2
Stand Up!

&& one of the classics :
Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo 1 (with domoto tsuyoshi in it :D )

Moondy

Post by Moondy » Jun 17th, '07, 17:42

If they are people who want to see good drama...you must see "Remote"!!with Kyoko Fukada and Domoto Koichi!!