x264 help

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
ILoveKoyuki

x264 help

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Jul 13th, '07, 04:06

Sorry for making this but I couldnt find help in any faqs and i need real in depth help
I just download the second episode of Hanazakari no Kimitachi e in x264 but everytime i start it (in wmp) it pauses while the audios playing thendrags and keeps pausing the rest of the show and the softsubs dont show up after a while can anyone help me with x264 and tell me why its not working :cry:

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jul 13th, '07, 04:36

I'm not familiar with x264 but I guess your computer can't really handle it? It'd be helpful if you posted some more information like your computer specs, OS, etc. My fix for every video/audio problem is to download ffdshow or GOM player.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 13th, '07, 04:49

you need a codec,
here download this http://mirror01.x264.nl/x264/ffdshow_be ... _clsid.exe

and use media player classic to play it well http://mirror01.x264.nl/x264/mpc2kxp6490.zip

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jul 13th, '07, 04:51

Mmm...she seems to have the codec since the video plays. It's just lagging. And ffdshow isn't really a codec. It's a filter.

furransu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by furransu » Jul 13th, '07, 04:57

ffdshow is a decoder

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jul 13th, '07, 05:00

It's a decoding filter. Different than a codec.

ILoveKoyuki

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Jul 13th, '07, 05:00

well i dont know all my specs and i dont want to misinform you so i will go back and check those since im not reeally good with that stuff but for now i will try the filter
but about my computer not being able to handle it,. . . i was checking my task manager to see how the cpu was acying while I played the file and it seems that it dramatically jumps to start playback and keeps spiking while its in the actual process of playing the file

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jul 13th, '07, 05:04

Did you try playing it in another media player?

ILoveKoyuki

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Jul 13th, '07, 05:21

i have just tryed in vlc player with success but doesnt that mean it should play fine in anything :blink

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jul 13th, '07, 05:35

Nope. Some players can't handle some encodings. Just remember to use VLC for x264 encodes from now on and you wont have a problem. Or get a player that supports everything. Like media player classic or KM player.

jocutus

Post by jocutus » Jul 13th, '07, 05:36

Look's like it does not, right?
Another point for VLC. Good choice.

! - VLC DOES play about everything that's worth playing...
Last edited by jocutus on Jul 13th, '07, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

ILoveKoyuki

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Jul 13th, '07, 05:38

AHHHHH HUUUUUUUUUH :blink
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP :roll Sorry for the trouble

benihime

Post by benihime » Jul 13th, '07, 08:35

.... im having the same problem.

1. im using VLC player and it still lags (less than MPC though)
2. i have ffddshow and... yeah

:(

it lagged with the smaller video as well

rockhound

Post by rockhound » Jul 13th, '07, 08:40

try to download Matroska codec pack. it always works for me...

benihime

Post by benihime » Jul 13th, '07, 08:54

i just did and its still lagging :(

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jul 13th, '07, 09:07

ILoveKoyuki wrote:i have just tryed in vlc player with success but doesnt that mean it should play fine in anything :blink
vlc uses a different method of decoding the video than WMP or whatever else.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 13th, '07, 18:41

That's why I say: x264 is NOT ready for prime-time!

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Jul 13th, '07, 18:50

you actually need a semi-decent computer to decode/play x264 files

that being said, VLC plays everything :P

lainholic

more problems

Post by lainholic » Jul 13th, '07, 19:11

i am also trying to watch the x264 version of hana kimi ep2
and im using a a VLC player, and it usually works for EVERYTHINg even huge files but it doesn't work with a vlc player
and i've also tried the fddshow along with the classic windows media player
it actually plays on the WMP but it lags like crazy.

and on the VLC player it just doesn't show anything just a black screen w/ a progress bar and sound

?? and i've also installed codec/filters? for the x264 H.264..
nthn works?! or is it my computer?

thanks

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Jul 13th, '07, 21:11

VLC is a program that doesn't require codecs. if it doesnt play, then there is either something seriously wrong with the file you downloaded or your computer.

which version did you download? Hana Kimi - 02 was re-released with 02 version 2 so that it'll work with QuickTime (along with VLC/MPC/Gom, etc...)

lainholic

Post by lainholic » Jul 13th, '07, 21:16

yeah that's what i figured too
with my experiences of playing videos VLC was pretty good w/ everything and didn't really need anything to play stuff
so i thought it was weird...

hmm i reinstalled VLC twice too.

i might try downloading the divx version thanks anyways :D

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Jul 13th, '07, 21:20

oh right; where did you download the file? if it was Direct DownLoad then maybe the file got corrupted in the file transfer process.

the divx version of Hana Kimi? i am curious :mrgreen:

lainholic

Post by lainholic » Jul 15th, '07, 21:27

oh i downloaded the file through torrents at d-addicts
actually maybe my computer is getting tired
cause like i've been playing other files fine, but it stilll lags
even on vlc players
i think im pushing my poor computer to do too much at the same time now adays

=_=; maybe it's time to format

:D

Sywpa

Post by Sywpa » Jul 15th, '07, 21:42

don't download the file with x264!! even vlc can't help you! I had the same problem )) just re-download the file without x264 :-)

Ore.Sama

Post by Ore.Sama » Jul 18th, '07, 13:58

so the problem is either from the computer or the player?? couldn't it be a codec clash??
just my thought...
Last edited by Ore.Sama on Jul 18th, '07, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Jul 18th, '07, 14:08

its most likely that the PC can't handle 1024x576 thats why it skips, stops, etc. I find that running torrents in the background, in my case utorrent causes skipping or lag in video/audio. Try keeping programs running in the background minimal & and then play the video file. If you're using FFDSHOW you should know that its CPU intensive.

my semi decent PC on 720p & 1080p vidz
semptron 2500 + 512mb ram + ffdshow + utorrent = Video/audio lag
semptron 2500 + 512mb ram + ffdshow = No lag
semptron 2500 + 512mb ram + coreavc + utorrent = Flawless :) with room to spare.

applebear

Post by applebear » Jul 18th, '07, 14:16

I had the same problem.

Here's what I did

1) Updated VLC.

2) In preferences, I found the x246 tab under video codecs, and Clicked RESET ALL, SAVE.

Worked like a charm

groink

Post by groink » Jul 18th, '07, 18:04

Ore.Sama wrote:so the problem is either from the computer or the player?? couldn't it be a codec clash??
just my thought...
Codecs don't actually "clash". Instead, codecs within the DirectShow spec are executed in order of how they're listed within your Windows PC. For example, if you have three codecs that can decode XviD video, the version that is on top of the list will always be used. Also, codecs from different manufacturers use different naming conventions in their filenames, which makes it possible to have multiple installations of codecs that decode the same types of video. As a result of all this, only DirectShow compatible video players will have issues like this (Windows Media Player, for example.) VLC isn't actually a DirectShow-driven video player - as it uses its own built-in codecs to play videos, and obtain a DirectShow codec only if it doesn't have one.

The best way to see which codec will be used within the DirectShow model is to run GSpot and render a video. It'll then show you which video and audio codecs DirectShow chooses to use. There are also tools out there (although I can't think of the name at the moment) that allows you to edit the codec tables so that you can change the order of priority on the codecs.

--- groink

ILoveKoyuki

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Jul 18th, '07, 18:26

well vlc works perfectly for me and i guess its because i keep my cpu usage low all the time the highest while watching shows is around 30-45 cpu usage but thats if im my comp is doing sumthing like direct downloading but sumtimes things like emproxy.exe start spiking cpu usage but after i close that (because its not really needed) everything works fine again

:whistling: but i have a question about vlc player is there anyway to make it seperate subs that appear at the same time because they tend to overlap :unsure:

Ore.Sama

Post by Ore.Sama » Jul 18th, '07, 20:36

thanxx groink 4 the explanation...
I'm downloading vlc player now, hopfuly itll solve the problem

lainholic

Post by lainholic » Jul 19th, '07, 06:12

i've done pretty much everything that people have suggested
but still no luck :(

and more and more dramas are now uploaded in x264

sigh?

thanks for all the suggestions though

Shadow Hexagram

Post by Shadow Hexagram » Jul 19th, '07, 06:24

a solution that works with me:

1. uninstall all your codecs

2. install these two codec packs: K-Lite Codec Pack Full and CCCP (the latter replacing the old Matroska codec pack)

3. install VLC Media Player 0.8.6c and Winamp 5.35 (they both play x264 and .srt / .ssa subtitle files)

lainholic

Post by lainholic » Jul 19th, '07, 07:15

hmm thanks for all the input
it plays on the winamp and KM player and also on windows media player classic (when i have FDDSHOW)

but all of these lag madly, so that means it's my computer, too old to do this

it DOES not play on VLC (this is what i want to fix the most) it doesn't even lag like the other players it just shows a black screen
so ..T_____T

ILoveKoyuki

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Jul 21st, '07, 06:50

well since i am using vlc player to play the x264 file i realise that subs overlap each other when there are notes on certain things said , is there anyway to get rid of this :unsure:

pcasado

H.264 Codec

Post by pcasado » Jul 23rd, '07, 16:28

From FFDSOW developers project site"
ffdshow is DirectShow and VFW codec for decoding/encoding many video and audio formats, including DivX and XviD movies using libavcodec, xvid and other opensourced libraries with a rich set of postprocessing filters.
From FFDSHOW GUI-Tool About option:
ffdshow is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DIVX movies.
It uses libavcodec from FFmpeg project for video decompression and compression (It can use xvidcore.dll installed with xvid codec, too.), postprocessing code from MPlayer to enhance visual quality of lowbitrate movies, and is based on original DirectShow filter from Xvid,which is GPL'ed educational implementation of MPEG4 encoder.

- support for H.264 and H.264/AVC (Advanced Video Coding).
so for H264, X264, VSSH, DAVC and AVC1 it use the "libavcodec" as well

The FFDSHOW (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow) is commonly used because is FREE (Under the GNU General Public License (GPL)) and practically very easy to set/configure.

While other Standards H.264/AVC decoder prices vary from 25USD$ and up; A professional H.264 tool (encode & decode) prices vary near the 200USD$ and up..

There are Media Players that have some codecs embedded to easy part of their internal process and make them more universal media playable, while majority of others don't.

Some people claim to have no problem with such codec using nVidia PureVideo, or CoreAVC or Cyberlink PowerDVD 7 (Pro).

Others use capable hardware to process those media files, instead to rely on software tools...but not quite cheap devices...or just use their "modern" Video Cards capable to "ACCELERATE" this type of codec (along others) but not "all" software media player and tools are capable to communicate well with this video cards.

I read, Quite long time ago, that MAC where going to ship their computers capable to play h.264, I guess because their Quicktime lay on that type, but since am NOT a MAC user, am not 100% how that idea ends or (if it got in production) how it works...

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Jul 23rd, '07, 17:37

here's to hoping that h264 decoders for set top boxes come soon!

there are video cards that have h264 processors on it, but it requires programs that have access to those chips, and pretty much only PowerDVD uses it :(

5th generation ipod and iphone have integrated dedicated h264 decoders, to lessen cpu load and increase battery life. not sure if apple decided to include the chips in macs (desktop or notebook), or to purely rely on software. in any case, Quicktime 7.1+ (maybe even 7.0 or 6.5?) have h264 decoding software inside the program. however, you do have to encode the h264 video and audio in a certain way for Quicktime to recognize.

ninjabreadhunter

x264 doesn't work-- using a mac and vlc

Post by ninjabreadhunter » Jul 25th, '07, 13:25

please help!

x264 doesn't work for me. i have a macbook pro with a 2 GHz processor and a 2 GB 667 MHz of memory. i also use VLC player because it works for everything. however, the latest episodes of coffee prince are only in x264, and it doesn't work. the video shows and the subtitles show, but the video lags and i keep getting "dropped frame" messages. sometimes i can watch a full minute without anything going wrong but then there are whole scenes where i only see one frame every few seconds.

i read the suggestions here and updated my version of vlc, but that does nothing. also, i cannot download the codec packs mentioned because i have a mac.

how can i get x264 to work?

thanks in advance!

gerryg

Post by gerryg » Aug 1st, '07, 18:49

According to the previous advice,
I updated my ffdshow and vlc to ffdshow_rev1390_20070731 and vlc_8.6.c.

I was then able to see my Coffee Prince. The HDTV.x264-MickEyBABy versio. However, the video continue to lag.

This lagging occurred with Gom, KM Player, bsplayer, medic player classic and the new vlc. Infact VLC was eating up my cpu!

Then I just figure since I was trying everything anyway why not try my RealPlayer...... Oh my gosh! It works!!!! RealPlayer with ffshow allows me to see the new videos without lagging and without eating up my cpu.

So once more that:
-- RealPlayer (My version is 10.5, there may be newer version out there) and
-- FFDShow rev1390 20070731

Hope this helps!

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Dec 4th, '07, 21:47

I've been having lag problems with VLC and ffdshow, but I just found "CoreAVC H.264 Video Codec" from isohunt, and it works flawlessly with MPC.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Dec 6th, '07, 05:37

8thSin wrote:I've been having lag problems with VLC and ffdshow, but I just found "CoreAVC H.264 Video Codec" from isohunt, and it works flawlessly with MPC.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Codec.htm

non-bt version

the entire Codec 8.2 has 4 different codecs, but you can just select CoreAVC by itself

sefilily

Post by sefilily » Jun 6th, '08, 01:34

I just have a question. I was planning on getting the new iMac computer. It's Quicktime program thing comes with a h264bencoding something. Does that mean it'll be able to play x264 vids? Does anyone who has the latest Mac know?

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Jun 6th, '08, 22:58

sefilily wrote:I just have a question. I was planning on getting the new iMac computer. It's Quicktime program thing comes with a h264bencoding something. Does that mean it'll be able to play x264 vids? Does anyone who has the latest Mac know?
It will play properly formed h.264 videos, such as a video with h.264 - correctly encoded to quicktime specs, correctly encoded aac audio (he-aac or lc-aac), in a .mp4 or .mov container

however if you want to play an .avi or .mkv with h.264 video, it wont work

but its okay, you can download mplayer and that should play everything

sefilily

Post by sefilily » Jun 7th, '08, 02:59

AkumaX wrote:
sefilily wrote:I just have a question. I was planning on getting the new iMac computer. It's Quicktime program thing comes with a h264bencoding something. Does that mean it'll be able to play x264 vids? Does anyone who has the latest Mac know?
It will play properly formed h.264 videos, such as a video with h.264 - correctly encoded to quicktime specs, correctly encoded aac audio (he-aac or lc-aac), in a .mp4 or .mov container

however if you want to play an .avi or .mkv with h.264 video, it wont work

but its okay, you can download mplayer and that should play everything
Thanks for that.