Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
xunknownz

Post by xunknownz » Jun 19th, '07, 07:35

the best current drama has to be proposal daisakusen. the idea and noviety of the drama is brand new and refreshing. everybody should try to dl it since the seeds r widely available. highly recommended!

qsk

Post by qsk » Jun 20th, '07, 05:50

I vote for proposal daisakusen too. It's under my "MUST WATCH" list.

Void2258

Japanese Police Drama

Post by Void2258 » Jun 22nd, '07, 23:22

I just go finished watching Odoru Daisosasen. Now I want more. Can anybody recommend other good shows like this?

Also, can anyone tell me where to find the specials and movies (with English subs)? I found the huge Batch on the site, but I cant find any of the others (I have seen the two 'Bayside Shakedown' movies). Something must happen in the specials to explain Aoshima's rank being what it is in the movies.

Drazic
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Drazic » Jun 22nd, '07, 23:34

Not like Odoru at all but anyway:

-Jikou keisatsu
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Jikou_Keisatsu
-Kuitan
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kuitan

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Jun 22nd, '07, 23:43

In terms of recent dramas, PS Rashoumon wasn't too bad (but no subs).

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jun 22nd, '07, 23:49

Haven't seen Odoru yet, but off the top of my head, you might also try Double Score (over on jem's tracker), Keizoku, or Rondo There's also the various series of Keitai deka Zenigata... (Rei, Rui, Mai).

EDIT: Unfortunately, none of the Keitai deka series have subs.

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Jun 22nd, '07, 23:52

Merged with "RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE JDRAMAS".

Two of my favourites:

Keizoku ( http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Keizoku )
Ningen no Shoumei ( http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Ningen_no_Shoumei )

babakubo

Re: Japanese Police Drama

Post by babakubo » Jun 25th, '07, 09:35

Void2258 wrote:I just go finished watching Odoru Daisosasen. Now I want more. Can anybody recommend other good shows like this?

Also, can anyone tell me where to find the specials and movies (with English subs)? I found the huge Batch on the site, but I cant find any of the others (I have seen the two 'Bayside Shakedown' movies). Something must happen in the specials to explain Aoshima's rank being what it is in the movies.
Congrats on choosing to watch one of the most wonderful dramas out there that no one is watching. ^_^; I haven't found anything like Odoru myself, maybe one of the members with more knowledge of 90s dramas can help. I know they still make a lot of serious cop dramas in Japan, but most of them go unsubbed since they cater to an older demographic. :glare:

You might also wanna check out some of the writers other works: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kimizuka_Ryouichi Last year's Yakusha Damashii has been partially subbed.

DramaholicxD

Post by DramaholicxD » Jun 25th, '07, 22:54

oOoo Did anyone recommended Liar Game??
It's really good and it's a psychological thriller starring Touda Erika and Matsuda Shota (Both are from Hana Yori Dango II).
It's about this really honest girl, Kanazaki Nao, that have been invited to play this game, Liar Game. LIar Game is where you get 100million yen and you try to decieve your opponet into giving you his/her 100million yen. If you win, you get half of the money you get and if you lose you owe the company 100million. Her opponent ended up being her middle school teacher (I forgot his name!^^;;). Nao trusted him and gave him her 100million. The next day, a letter from the LGT came and informed Nao that she was losing 100million. With that, she goes to the police asking for help but the police turned her down and told her that a swinder, Mastuda Shota, is released from prison today. So, Nao goes to him for help but he turns her down. And the story continues....

Each episode is about 30 minutes and the final episode (11) is going to be 3 hour long. But with the commercials, I say about 2hr and a half. The hardsubbed for 10 episodes are out and The RAW for 11 is out.

I'm really liking it because the main guy is a genius!!

Shadow Hexagram

Post by Shadow Hexagram » Jun 26th, '07, 04:30

A very underrated drama that I recommend to everyone would be Shimokita Sundays. It stars Aya Ueto as a serious college students who join a funny theater group. Since then she will experience all the trials poor performers have to go through.
But, honestly, I hadn't laughed that much since Kisarazu Cat's Eye, and I think it's been Ueto's best performance ever. Too bad it's only 9 episodes though.

kamiru000

Post by kamiru000 » Jun 28th, '07, 19:07

i just finished Proposal Daisakusen :wub: ... and still waiting for hana kimi :P ... so right now i really have nothing to watch.... can you guys help me? i dont know wat to watch right now... i like comedy with romance... but that will also make you cry...... or drama(the ones that makes you cry) with romance but will still make you laugh... new or old is fine with me

open to any recommendation... ohhh b4 i forget, the drama should have really good looking guys... lol... i know.. im picky... :P :scratchchin:

here are some of the dramas ive watch (the ones i remember from the top of my head)
hyd1&2, gokusen1&2, one liter of tears, nobuta wo produce, kurosagi, stand up, majo no jouken, tatta hitotsu no koi, sapuri, anego, gto, dragon zakura, attention please. thats all i can remember for now.

i actually recommmend all of this drama too... especially nobuta wo produce, kurosagi, hyd1&2, and one liter of tears

plz help me!!! open to any recommendations :D hontoni arigatoooooo in advance :P

zenitse

Post by zenitse » Jun 28th, '07, 20:36

For me, best mix of comedy with romance was boku dake no madonna, what about it? :)

Shadow Hexagram

Post by Shadow Hexagram » Jun 28th, '07, 20:41

zenitse wrote:For me, best mix of comedy with romance was boku dake no madonna, what about it? :)
Yeah I loved that one, especially the "I think I'm gonna cry" scene.... Kyoko Hasegawa was being so cute / moe~

kamiru000

Post by kamiru000 » Jun 28th, '07, 21:42

zenitse wrote:For me, best mix of comedy with romance was boku dake no madonna, what about it? :)
hontoni arigato!!!! im guna go check it out... is that with takki... i think read it somewer but dont know wer to watch it with eng sub...

still open for more recommendations :D

Katemonster

Post by Katemonster » Jun 29th, '07, 17:50

I just finished Lunch Queen (Lunch no Joou) and I really liked it. (Although the ending left something to be desired.)

That's actually the first drama I've watched. Would you know anything that might fit the same range as that?

I'm always up for a comedy, too. Romance is always a plus.

timtakestokyo

Post by timtakestokyo » Jun 29th, '07, 20:39

I just finished Lunch Queen (Lunch no Joou) and I really liked it. (Although the ending left something to be desired.)

That's actually the first drama I've watched. Would you know anything that might fit the same range as that?

Romantic Comedies
Densha Otoko KITAAAAAA
Hana Yori Dango (season 1) Matsumoto Jun... with a perm :thumbdown:

tasmaniandevil

Post by tasmaniandevil » Jun 30th, '07, 14:30

Katemonster wrote:I just finished Lunch Queen (Lunch no Joou) and I really liked it. (Although the ending left something to be desired.)

u can try my boos my hero too. it's reallie nice

wat3rm3lon

Post by wat3rm3lon » Jul 1st, '07, 04:22

Holy crap.
The best drama alive has to be.

LIAR GAME

There's sort of a mix of romance too. Very entertaining. Very smart and unique, as well. I promise you'll get addicted. It'll keep you wanting to know what happens next.

It's a very intense drama.

My favorite Japanese drama :D.
SERIOUSLY, WATCH IT.

Sakuranantogay

Post by Sakuranantogay » Jul 1st, '07, 20:34

Comedy:
Kisarazu Cats Eyes (classic)
Stand up!! (classic)
Nodame Cantabile (wickedly ridiculous)

School:
My Boss, My Hero (Nagase cracks me up. Not just a schooldrama though, it's like a teen comedy school thing)
GTO (need I say more?)
Gokusen (once again, need I say more?)
Yankee Bokou ni Kaeru (a teacher drama which actually is a drama, and not comedy)

Teen:
Hana Yori Dango (there's just something awesome about it)
Nobuta wo Proudce (the first drama I finished within 24 hrs after DLing it)

Sad:
Summer Snow (sweet acting)
Ichi Rittoru no Namida (Sawajiri Erika's da bomb)
Sekai no Chuushin de (pretty good, but it's set in the 80s though)

Sports:
H2 (yamada takayuki is da bombzZz, and so are the rest of the cast - it made me love baseball)
Ace wo Nerae (there's just something about Ueto Aya that appeals to me)
Pride (more romance than sports actually but I decided not to make a romance section because aproximately all dramas include romance.. anyways, kimutaku is the shiet)

Family:
Engine (a nice cast. Kimutaku does it again)
Brother Beat (really funny drama about three brothers and their mother)

Messed up/Twisted stuff
(my favorite category):
Taiyou no Kisetsu (the drama that made me like tackey)
Strawberry on Shortcake (a nice assemblance of actors, and some messed up stuff going on. Once again, tackey is da bomb)
IWGP (messed up stuff, a suuuper funny comedy with some strange, mysterious crimes and romances going on. Nagase cracks me up once again)
Byakuyakou (a messed up/twisted relationship between a guy and a girl involving lots of messed up crimes and psycho stuff)

My favorite favorites (xD) have to be the ones in the messed up/twisted section, so if u happen to like that type of stuff, you're in for a treat!

Steeltemplar

Post by Steeltemplar » Jul 4th, '07, 11:06

Not long ago, I obtained all three seasons of Shomuni at the advice of a friend and loved it. Having finished that series - or what I could find of it - I would love to see more Japanese television.

Can anyone recommend series which are similar to Shomuni? Also, romance dramas (the sort with happy endings) or romantic comedies would be very welcome.

Finally, if anyone knows where to get Shomuni Forever, I have been searching all over to find it but have had no luck. It seems to be very difficult to obtain.

Thank you all in advance.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jul 4th, '07, 21:21

Steeltemplar wrote: Can anyone recommend series which are similar to Shomuni?
Shomuni is pretty unique, but try Kekkon Dekinai Otoko and Antique. They both have some elements similar to Shomuni that I think you'd enjoy -- subtle (yet extremely funny) humor, somewhat random scenes, good use of off-pace timing....

OnlyXainz

Post by OnlyXainz » Jul 4th, '07, 21:39

i just finished watching attention please~ it was sweet, kind of quirky lol ^__^ i like anything that has aya in it
recommend koukou kyoushi 03 too, but everyone has already >_<;
Last edited by OnlyXainz on Jul 4th, '07, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

xmoonprincessx

Post by xmoonprincessx » Jul 4th, '07, 21:40

hmm my favorite jdramas are:
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi
Kurosagi
Hana Yori Dango 1 and 2
Himitsu no Hanazono
Kimi wa Petto
Proposal Daisakusen
Nobuta wo Produce

But pretty much all the JDramas i've seen were good lol

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Jul 6th, '07, 21:47

Right... so I know about the semi-decent H2, but are there any other Adachi-manga-turned-dramas out there that are also subbed? I once heard something about a LA Touch movie or series, but I can't remember if it was in the context of something planned for the future or something that happened a while ago... ~__~

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jul 7th, '07, 06:33

Mwulf wrote:Right... so I know about the semi-decent H2, but are there any other Adachi-manga-turned-dramas out there that are also subbed? I once heard something about a LA Touch movie or series, but I can't remember if it was in the context of something planned for the future or something that happened a while ago... ~__~
Besides H2, the only other Adachi manga to have been turned into a television drama is Jinbe (but they made some massive changes to the story and made it almost unrecognizable).

A couple live action movie versions were made in the past couple years for Touch and Rough. Of course, neither are available here at DA, but they're out there and I think both are subbed too.

angel_rina

Post by angel_rina » Jul 7th, '07, 06:59

Watch Nodame Cantabile Live Action! :)

paranoyd

Post by paranoyd » Jul 8th, '07, 22:06

wat3rm3lon wrote:Holy crap.
The best drama alive has to be.

LIAR GAME

There's sort of a mix of romance too. Very entertaining. Very smart and unique, as well. I promise you'll get addicted. It'll keep you wanting to know what happens next.

It's a very intense drama.

My favorite Japanese drama :D.
SERIOUSLY, WATCH IT.
I conccur!!!
I sure hope the subs for the last eps comes soon......I'm catching up to it! :crazy:

:lol

reiyuki

Post by reiyuki » Jul 9th, '07, 04:19

my favorite jdramas/movies are:
Tada, Kimi wo Aishiteru (Just, Loving You A.K.A. Heavenly Forest) - movie - it's awesome i recommend it
Swing Girls - movie
Gokusen 1 & 2
Kamikaze Girls - movie
Attention Please
1 Litre of tears
Taiyou no Uta (movie and drama series)
14-sai no haha (14-year-old mother)
The Queen's Classroom
Orange Days
Akihabara @ Deep (drama series)
Nodame Cantabile
Haruka 17
KiraKira Kenshui(Sparkling Medical Intern)
Tenshi - movie
Fugoh Keiji
Nurse Aoi (N's Aoi)

My favorite Kdramas/movies are:
Endless love: Autumn in my Heart
A.F.R.I.K.A - movie
My Wife is a Gangster 1,2,3 -movie
200 Pounds of Beauty-movie
Ineo Agassi (Miss Mermaid/Mermaid lady, Story of a Mermaid, Irene=title used by gma 7)- hard core drama ... lol i don't know if there are any torrents for this one.... it's good though the best one i've seen
Full House
My Sassy Girl -movie

well that's it for now ^_^

loveydovey

Very specific recommendation requested: smart dramas

Post by loveydovey » Jul 9th, '07, 06:06

Hello,

I'd like to ask for very specific japanese drama recommendations. I've seen a good many Japanese dramas like Long Vacation, Hero, Pride, Orange Days, Last Dance, Engine, etc. Those are decent guilty pleasures, but I was wondering if anyone could guide me in the direction of some smart, creative, forward-thinking, witty , ambitious shows.

To give you a general idea, my American TV viewing consists mostly of critically lauded HBO (Curb Your Enthusiasm) and Showtime (Weeds) programs and the socially conscious, rapid-fire witted dialogue of Aaron Sorkin shows like West Wing and Studio 60. And BBC shows like The Office and Extras.

The only Japanese drama I've seen so far that I rank highly would be Tiger and Dragon, which was terribly novel in it's narrative.

Thank you for any tips! Looking forward to finding some great shows!

cheers,
loveydovey

peichan_

Post by peichan_ » Jul 9th, '07, 10:04

my little chief is a very good japan drama. 10 charapters. Is a young girl that work ina a restarant. The food isn't japanese is french. Sorry my english don't is very good. ^^U

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Jul 9th, '07, 10:21

how about anego or haken no hinkaku?

groink

Post by groink » Jul 9th, '07, 10:24

If I'm wrong, correct me... It sounds like you want to watch shows that allows you to use the critical thinking, deductive reasoning parts of your brain. If this is true, the Monday-Saturday prime-time line-up is OUT. Trendy dramas are supposed to be an escape from thinking, and instead are designed to somewhat pollute your brain - sort of like eating really bad food because it taste much better than healthy food.

Personally, I like the following genre: detective dramas, jidaigeki dramas, and mysteries. All three genre will turn the gears in your brain, and at the same time give you total enjoyment via creative stories with great acting. Unfortunately, D-Addicts lack the detective and mystery genre. Even the trendy drama-based deka and mysteries, they're not as good as shows like Hagure Keiji Junjoha, Aibo, Onna to Ai to Mystery, etc. The NHK taiga drama jidaigeki shows are adapted from historical events, so much of their stories are based on strategic and political topics. Abarenbo Shogun is also a great jidaigeki show, as it too involve political and sociological corruption.

So with all of that, you probably won't find much on D-Addicts.

--- groink

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Jul 9th, '07, 10:27

ah that sort of drama? d-addicts doesn't have much? but i used to watch kaori no sekai which has episode 1 uploaded.it's really intriguing.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 9th, '07, 10:46

One other thing I forgot to mention. "Witty" is somewhat missing from Japanese dramas, but with reason. It seems that witty is not a attribute worth concentrating on for the Japanese viewers. As a matter of fact, witty is a turn-off for me, as it gives me the feeling that the witty person is attempting to out-do the others intellectually. I was even reading an article awhile back where witty females is a turn-off to men. I would think that witty is also a turn-off in Japanese society seeing the culture is so conservative, and that playing things low-key is preferred. There's even an old Japanese anime called Ikkyu-san that, although Ikkyu's wit helps solve problems, it irritates others to the point of being envious or jealous.

--- groink

Shadow Hexagram

Post by Shadow Hexagram » Jul 9th, '07, 11:13

Hmmmm you should try Elite Yankee Saburo... nah, just messing up with you here. :mrgreen:

But if you want well-constructed dramas with lots of pathos in them, you should watch Byakuyakou and Enka no Joou.

p.s: on a side note, I agree with Groink here. Dramas, like mostly everything in the Japanese entertainment industry isn't meant to be analysed and thought over but to be consumed and disposed of after.

Star Candy

Post by Star Candy » Jul 9th, '07, 12:42

I've only seem like 5 dramas:

1. Liar Game ( I really enjoyed it, and it's the best one I've seen. I'd like to see some other dramas that are of the same genre as this one)

2. Biscuit Teacher (quite a funny kdrama, in the style of Gokusen and GTO, with a romance in it)

3. Gokusen (I liked it, but I was disappointed, b/c in manga Shin Sawada expresses his feelings for Yankumi at the day he graduates from High School [last volume])

4. Prince turns to frog (it made me laugh at times and then cry, a nice taiwanese drama)

5. Hana Yori Dango (I enjoyed it, but in the end I was disappointed by the pairing Makino/Domyouji. I preferred Makino/Hanazawa pairing, Rui was so delicate...)

what should I watch next?

EDIT: (I'm baka, I've also seen Satorare and Chakushin ari the drama version)

endoftime

Post by endoftime » Jul 9th, '07, 15:14

This past season, I watched "Liar Game" and "Watashitachi no Kyokasho." Both shows made me think much more than the average show. In fact, a lot of the "Liar Game" fans laud the show for the fact that it REALLY makes you think and use your brain!

I got pretty far behind on Watashitachi because it came on TV Thursday nights and I'm busy every Thursday, but I saw the first three or four episodes and it seemed to be going in a more "make-you-think" direction. Now that I have a new hard drive, I should really go and download the rest of the show. This season, there will be another school drama that looks at the schooling system called "Life." I think two episodes have aired, but I only heard about it recently, so I'm going to be starting it late. I'll have to let you know if it's a make-you-think or not.

Absolutely try "Liar Game," though. That show made me think on so many levels!

頑張れ!

Magicus

Post by Magicus » Jul 9th, '07, 19:14

groink wrote:One other thing I forgot to mention. "Witty" is somewhat missing from Japanese dramas, but with reason. It seems that witty is not a attribute worth concentrating on for the Japanese viewers. As a matter of fact, witty is a turn-off for me, as it gives me the feeling that the witty person is attempting to out-do the others intellectually. I was even reading an article awhile back where witty females is a turn-off to men. I would think that witty is also a turn-off in Japanese society seeing the culture is so conservative, and that playing things low-key is preferred. There's even an old Japanese anime called Ikkyu-san that, although Ikkyu's wit helps solve problems, it irritates others to the point of being envious or jealous.

--- groink
I agree with this to a point, japanese dramas are constructed to make the viewer FEEL above anything else. Sure dramas like Kekkon Dekinai Otoko have very clever scripts to them but in the end Abe Hiroshi's character does get into some pretty contrived situations and that's fine by me.

You should stick to American or British TV if your looking for more comedies like "The Office" or "Curb Your Enthusiasm" because you aren't going to find it in jdramas. As far the other qualities you are looking for I've seen them in a few dramas in bits and pieces (Shiroi Kyoto just got uploaded and that is one of the few dramas that I've seen that actually doesn't outright insult the viewers intelligence). Also by the looks of things Suna no Utsuwa will be JSOTW in a week or so, if you are looking for an ambitious / artistic drama that is one you should check out.
Last edited by Magicus on Jul 9th, '07, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

wat3rm3lon

Post by wat3rm3lon » Jul 9th, '07, 19:18

Try Liar Game.
It's one of the best.
It always keeps you in suspense, and it's pretty smart - make you think.

Have fun.

lsqB

Post by lsqB » Jul 9th, '07, 20:58

nobody mentioned Furuhata yet? Furuhata... ninzaburou, I think.
he's awesome.

it's like detective colombo or whatever his name is.
it used to air on tv, but not anymore.

loveydovey

Post by loveydovey » Jul 10th, '07, 01:06

groink wrote:If this is true, the Monday-Saturday prime-time line-up is OUT.
Groink, outside of that time frame and outside of the trendy dramas and the contrived period dramas, is there any particular time slot or day of the week where programming of the sort I'm looking for can be found? I suspect the answer is no, but I ask to confirm.

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions. I'll take some considerable time to look into the titles you've mentioned! Much appreciated!

BTW, has anyone ever gotten in trouble for downloading Japanese TV shows? I know it's not within the jurisdiction of the MPAA/etc, but I surmise the Japanese TV networks could take action if there were so bothered.

Lockewinter

Post by Lockewinter » Jul 10th, '07, 01:13

If you liked Tiger & Dragon, then I absolutely must recommend Ikebukuro West Gate Park, made by the guy who responsible for the tone and style of T&D. It's a total classic. I'm not going to tell you what it's about. It's just awesome.

Other intelligent dramas that definitely provoke thought and have novel characters, situations or styles include Joou no Kyoshitsu (or The Queen's Classroom), Sexy Voice and Robo, Mahiru no Tsuki (The Moon in the Afternoon) and Tantei Monogatari.

The Queen's Classroom is an excellent, excellent, excellent examination into education and one possibly very warped individual's way of dealing with the problem's inherent in dealing with it. It caused a huge maelstrom of controversy when it came out and then people found out what the show was going for and why the character made those choices.

Sexy Voice and Robo is utterly unique, rather unpredictable and has all sorts of interesting comments on a variety of topics. A girl who modulate her voice to imitate all sorts of people, but especially sexy voices and an otaku who loves robot shows become spies, hilarity ensues and we all end up better people for having watched it. It's extremely novel and quite thought-provoking at times, especially in its use of props.

Mahiru no Tsuki is a definitely very sober and may be hard to take, its kind of like a journey on the path a person takes after they get raped, so I hope you're okay with that kind of content.

Tantei Monogatari stars one of Japan's greatest characters and is a detective drama of such with, excellent writing, direction and general marvelousness that you can't help but watch it in anything but an enraptured smile the entire time. Rather than making you think because the plot or devices are interesting (though they are, the very first scene is of a guy in suspenders and fuzzy pink jammies crawling out of his bed in a decrepit, desolate building and answering his doorbell to a nun, then making her a cup of coffee from a chemistry set) , it's hard to describe, but it made me think of how it was made and the performances of the characters. The type of masterful performance and direction that always has you finding new angles and new things in it. It is regarded as an all time classic in Japan. Rather than witty dialogue, it's witty story-telling.

If none of these sound good, I could recommend a lot more, but I'll stop here for length's sake.

seira

Post by seira » Jul 10th, '07, 01:50

lockewinter- i must say i was going to recommend joou no kyoushitsu ever since reading the first post, but you beat me to it. i love your taste in drama! =)

So... i am not sure about witty but if you are looking deep critical thinking and well constructed dramas, i would reocmmend:

M no higeki: the acting is superb, and the story is fast paced and it will keep you on your toe. At the end of the drama, i realized that it really hit me hard and i had to think about couple things for a while. totally worth your time.

1 liter of tear: probably not much needed to be said about this. a classic by this time. you will cry the whole way through, or at least i started crying at 2nd episode and cried in all the episodes

i second someone's recommendation that byakuyakou is awesome because the book was amazing too.

i'm sure i have more because i love those deep dramas but i can't think right now so if i think more i will get back to you. haha

ichigo_daifuku

Post by ichigo_daifuku » Jul 10th, '07, 03:27

I am a huge fan of Kudo Kankuro, the guy who wrote T&D. In my head, no other J-dramas compare to his works. I have my share of guilty pleasures as well, but hardly any of them keep me as entertained and interested as dramas by KudoKan. On a sidenote, my favorite American shows are namely the Office and Curb.

My favorite J-drama of all time used to be Kisarazu Cat's Eye but after re-watching Tiger and Dragon again, I think T&D is my new favorite. It is amazing how I can watch KudoKan's dramas over and over again and never get tired of them. On the contrary, they get more and more interesting with each watch, because I am able to pick up on the small details that I missed the first time around.

I agree with Lockewinter. If you enjoyed T&D as much as I did, you should definitely check out other stuff by him like Ikebukuro West Gate Park, Manhattan Love Story, and Kisarazu Cat's Eye. Some people may argue that Kisarazu isn't exactly "deep" but I think it has its moments. If anything, Kisarazu is very smart, fresh, and of course entertaining (which is important).

Jokes from other dramas all seem old and forced compared to KudoKan's witty style. He will forever be my favorite J-Drama writer so I may be a little biased. The only regret I have about watching his stuff is that all other J-dramas pale in comparison and bore me now.

I suggest checking out some of his movies as well. "Go," "Ping Pong," "Mayonaka no Yaji San Kita San" and of course the two Kisarazu movies are a must-see.

lemonlou

Post by lemonlou » Jul 10th, '07, 03:36

Haikei, Chichiue-sama for its poignance.
Kisarazu Cat's Eye for its comedic relief.
A Million Stars Falling From the Sky for its intriguing and unexpected plotline.

timmonsgray

Post by timmonsgray » Jul 10th, '07, 04:51

I think one of the "smartest" dramas I've seen is Shiritsu Tantei Hama Maiku. It stars Nagase Masatoshi (Who was in The Hidden Blade and does a lot of movies) as this sort of down-and-out detective in Yokohama. (Hama Maiku = Mike Hammer). I think each episode was done by a different director, including big movie directors. It was pretty interesting.

Like other people have said, Kankuro Kudo's stuff is always interesting, stylish, and very original. (I'd love to see more Tiger and Dragon.) I think T&D is my favorite of his dramas, Kisarazu Cat's Eye, Ikebukuro West Gate Park, and Manhattan Love Story are all a lot of fun.

I hear Shiroi Kyoto was a pretty smart drama.

And two family dramas that actually hold up pretty well are Dr. Koto's Clinic and Home Drama. The latter I think is really under-rated.

And I would second/third/fourth on Joou no Kyoushitsu. That was a very well done classroom drama. And the special that aired afterwards was even good, and filled out the story more rather than just tacking on an extra chapter.

seira

Post by seira » Jul 10th, '07, 15:31

shiroi kyotou was amazing. it is about the hidden secrets of university hospital that aren't usually talked about. the story revolves around two completely opposite doctors (one is ambitious in becoming professor, and one truly cares about the well-being of his patients), and how they interact with their given env't. it's a must see! both season 1 and 2 is really well written but i like season 1 better.

that reminds me,

Ooku is amazing too. again not witty or funny, but if you just want a GOOD (not those typical ones), ooku will keep you entertained until the very last of last episode.

ydnar

Post by ydnar » Jul 12th, '07, 06:09

hi (i think this may be my first post here at d-addicts). dramas that i've really gotten into are..

orange days
kimi wa petto
nodame cantabile
long vacation
honey and clover (though not nearly as much as season one of the anime)

what other dramas should i watch?

klon22

Post by klon22 » Jul 13th, '07, 02:57

Hi,

the doramas made me think was:

-Kurosagi: founding a way to make a fraud ..
-Trick: Founding a way to make a magic trick,

Show about general knowledge Q-Sama, look for them in torrent
Last edited by klon22 on Oct 20th, '07, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jul 13th, '07, 04:58

even very specific requests for recommendations can be asked for in the existing thread....
merging...

GlamourGirl40

Any Good Romantic Comedy JDramas???

Post by GlamourGirl40 » Jul 16th, '07, 21:34

Suggestions please...

mod edit: merged with existing thread

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jul 16th, '07, 21:42

Here are my top pics for romantic comedy jdramas:

1. Hana Yori Dango
2. Nodame Cantible
3. Nobuta wo Produce
4. Densha Otoko
5. Gokusen (comedy, little romance)
6. Satorare
7. My Boss My Hero (its comedy, has some romance)

New ones:

1. Hanakimi
2. Hotaru no Hikari
3. Hanayome to Papa

blue_shoe

Post by blue_shoe » Jul 20th, '07, 08:45

I'm new to dorama, the ones I've seen that I liked are

Majo no Jouken
Orange Days
Proposal Dai
Densha Otoko
Hana Yori dango 1&2

As u can probably see I enjoy dramas that are VERY romantic, cheezy, cliche, have pretty actresses, it'd be appreciated if yall veteran dorama watchers can recommend me other dramas that are along the line of these dramas. THANKS!!!

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Jul 20th, '07, 08:59

grab "engine" while the seeds are strong. Comedy with a bit of drama.

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jul 21st, '07, 06:57

OK, I'm pretty tired of cheesy comedies. I'd like to go back to some serious dramas for once. Any good recommendations for recent/currently airing dramas?

For reference, I really enjoyed watching 'Proposal Daisakusen' (except for the ending), as well as Orange Days, Waterboys, Sekachuu, Taiyou no Uta, and some comedies like My Boss My Hero. Love/friendship themes are some of my favorites! :)

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jul 21st, '07, 07:08

kyosak wrote:OK, I'm pretty tired of cheesy comedies. I'd like to go back to some serious dramas for once. Any good recommendations for recent/currently airing dramas?

For reference, I really enjoyed watching 'Proposal Daisakusen' (except for the ending), as well as Orange Days, Waterboys, Sekachuu, Taiyou no Uta, and some comedies like My Boss My Hero. Love/friendship themes are some of my favorites! :)
Try 24hrs emergency ward. Ice world is getting subbed now too but only up to ep2 so far.
Yuuki isn't too bad. short drama special. 1 litre of tears.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jul 22nd, '07, 20:55

kyosak wrote:OK, I'm pretty tired of cheesy comedies. I'd like to go back to some serious dramas for once. Any good recommendations for recent/currently airing dramas?
NHK Asadoramas are always a good bet for things like love and friendship that don't get really cheesy... Not all that recent, but currently being subbed by Haruspex is Churasan.
I'd also suggest checking out Haikei Chichiue-sama. Hmm... I'm hard pressed to think of anything really recent that has been subbed and fits your description.
One very underrated drama, is Dare yori mo Mama wo Aisu, but it is more of a family drama...

Actually, all 3 of them are probably more family dramas than anything else... :whistling:
:fear:

christ_freak

Post by christ_freak » Jul 24th, '07, 18:17

Top 10 JDramas for me:
1. Hana Yori Dango
2. Kimi wa Petto
3. Gokusen
4. Kurosagi
5. Nodame Cantabile
6. Brother Beat
7. Regatta
8. Ace wo Nerae
9. Nobuta wo Produce
10. Itazura na Kiss

Generally though, when looking for good dramas, I usually look for ones that either feature Yamapi, Matsumoto Jun, Oguri Shun, Hayami Mokomichi and anyone from Arashi.

Currently I'm watching:

Hanazakari no kimitachi e, Hotaru no hikari and Yamada Taro Monogatari

They are all very good too!

dice824

Recommendations

Post by dice824 » Jul 25th, '07, 15:35

I just started watching j-drama again this past month...I was really hooked on japanese series about five years ago....they don't show much j-drama anymore on TV; it's mostly korean series now...here are some of my favorites...

(1) Tokyo Cinderella Story (Imouto Yo)
(2) Iguana No Musume
(3) Kimi To Deatte Kara
(4) Forbidden Love
(5) Koori No Sekai
(6) Cheap Love
(7) Satorare (recently watched)

Hope you guys enjoy them!!!

hardy har har

Post by hardy har har » Jul 25th, '07, 15:47

Just got done watching Lunch no Joou a few days ago and this has become one of my favorite doramas of all.
The characters weren't exactly typical. Normally the The 2nd Oldest brother who took on the job and responsibility he "never wanted" would be a former school thug, the strongest of all, blah blah blah. He wasn't. He was a normal guy. When Natsumi's former BF came around, I expected him to romantically and magically whoop his ass further cementing the love between him and Natsumi but instead he got his ass whooped too.

baibaiman

Proposal Daisakusen

Post by baibaiman » Jul 26th, '07, 18:23

This is one of the best drama I have ever watch that contain a little magical moment.
Although the ending is not that clear, I still love this series.

As far as I know, there is very few JDrama that touch a little on magical moment like this series, Proposal Daisakusen.

I have tried for 2 hours to find other Jdrama that have a little magic in the story, e.g. going back in time, come back from the heaven or other magical moment but have no luck finding any.

Anyone have any recomendation for JDrama that have a little magic in the story?

Thank you.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jul 28th, '07, 22:43

1. There is already a discussion thread for Proposal Daisakusen here
2. You are actually asking for a recommendation, which would belong in the thread stickied at the top that I am merging this to.

EDIT:
Otherwise, some series w/ elements of actual magic or fantasy:
Tengoku ni ichiban chikai otoko / Heaven cannot wait
Ima, ai ni yukimasu
Ame to yume no ato ni
Teru Teru Ashita
Saiyuuki
Trick
Long Love Letter
Last edited by mizune on Jul 28th, '07, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » Jul 28th, '07, 23:04

My 5 stars rated jdramas among ~ 150 I've watched :

Kisarazu Cat's Eye the best of the bests
Sexy voice & robo
My boss my hero
Tiger & Dragon
Liar game

the one with 4 1/2 stars rated
Stand up !
Nobuta wo produce
Kuitan 1 & 2

ryoko11

Re: Proposal Daisakusen

Post by ryoko11 » Jul 28th, '07, 23:42

baibaiman wrote:This is one of the best drama I have ever watch that contain a little magical moment.
Although the ending is not that clear, I still love this series.

As far as I know, there is very few JDrama that touch a little on magical moment like this series, Proposal Daisakusen.

I have tried for 2 hours to find other Jdrama that have a little magic in the story, e.g. going back in time, come back from the heaven or other magical moment but have no luck finding any.

Anyone have any recomendation for JDrama that have a little magic in the story?

Thank you.
Hmm... well, I can think of two contenders.

Long Love Letter is available on D-addicts, and it is subbed. I haven't watched it yet, but there it does involve the type of twist you're looking for and some of the discussion I've seen reminds me of ProDai. It's also got lots of good reviews.

Here's the wiki:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Long_Love_Letter

And here's the discussion thread, but it contains spoilers:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_17985.htm

Other than that, I like Kimi to Ita Mirai no Tame ni: I'll Be Back.

Here's the wiki:

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kimi_to_Ita_Mirai_no_Tame_ni

It's got a bit of a mystery aspect to it (as well as romance and coming of age), and the main character goes through multiple timelines with major changes to his life while trying to get things right as well as trying find out how this is connected to his dead mother.

More info, including spoilers, can be found here:

http://www.jdorama.com/drama_197.htm

The raws are available through clubbox. (PM me if you want the link.) Sadly, it's not subbed into English, but I really enjoyed it and kept up pretty well with my minimal Japanese. It's more my cup of tea than ProDai was.

LaLaLaDRAMA

can you please recommend me any recent new J dramas?

Post by LaLaLaDRAMA » Jul 28th, '07, 23:58

hey everybody! i just want to get an insight on what dramas are worth watching. i know there are a lot of new dramas, and i dont have time to dl every drama to see if i like it or not. So if you guys watched or is watching a good japanese drama at this moment, please recommend!! :D

Please note: Im not much of a fan of history, hospital, old people love story. I prefer comedy, young love story! but if there are VERY GOOD dramas that are sad, or worth watching..please give me the title and a little synopsis of the drama! thanks so much!!

groink

Post by groink » Jul 29th, '07, 00:28

RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE JDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_10409.htm

Mods - please merge.

--- groink

apartofmylife

Post by apartofmylife » Jul 30th, '07, 16:43

Some of my favorite J-dramas.

School:
*Nobuta wo produce (Cute, funny, a little romance, Unique approach)
*Gokusen 1&2 (Funny, touching, brisk)
*GTO (Funny, nice, a little romance)
*My boss My hero (Funny, Funny,Funny)

Comedy?:
*Ikebukuro West Gate Park (IWGP) (Funny, Cool)

Love:
*Hana yori Dango 1 (Nice, Funny, Cool)
*Tokyo love story (Kind of old, but I watched it over and over. It was a very fresh drama at that time.)
*Koukou kyoushi 1 (High school teacher 1... sad, unpredictable)
*Byaku yakou (miserable, unpredictable. Not so many people understand the leading charactors, I think)

Based on true story:
*1 Litre of Tears (So touching. Made me think about my life. I tanked to my health)

Other:
*Liar game (Unique charactors, especially kinoko, which means mashroom)

Currently watching:
Hanazakari no kimitachi e (Cute, Funny, Cute guys)
Last edited by apartofmylife on Aug 3rd, '07, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

epstein

Post by epstein » Aug 1st, '07, 18:53

i know this was probably done

but can someone link torrents to the funniest and most romantic jdramas

fritzthe6th

Post by fritzthe6th » Aug 2nd, '07, 08:16

hello everyone! im actually a new member here.. can anyone recommend me a jdorama that has the same style or shall I say as good as the Proposal Daisakusen? please... need help....

se7enwookie

Post by se7enwookie » Aug 3rd, '07, 02:59

1. Tomadachi no koibito - Great OST

2. Hana Yori Dango

pv604

Post by pv604 » Aug 3rd, '07, 03:20

must watch dramas that I've seen:
1. Proposal Daisakusen
2. Ichi Rittoru no Namida (1 litre of tears)
3. Nobuta wo Produce
4. GTO
5. H2
6. Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (currently airing)
7. Densha Otoko
8. Waterboys 1 and 2
9. Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu
10. Dragon Zakura
11. My Boss My Hero

these are the dramas that come off the top of my head that i liked, i'm sure i missed alot.

Some of the dramas many people liked that i didn't:

1. Hana Yori Dango - I thought it was way to corny.
2. Gokusen - I thought it was just really weird seeing a small chick beating up bunch of gansters, and the fighting just looked wayy to fake. Other then that it was a good drama

SiMPLYSMiLES

Post by SiMPLYSMiLES » Aug 3rd, '07, 03:39

Hmmm...right now:

Liar Game
Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2
1 Litre of Tears
Hanazakari no Kimitachi e (airing)
Jotei (airing)

Xenophobia

Hey new here, can i get some suggestions

Post by Xenophobia » Aug 3rd, '07, 23:46

Hey

Iam new to all this with J-dorama and im looking for something like GTO (like love comedies).
I would be very happy if i could get some suggestions on some good love comedies J-doramas?

Thnx for the help

aragaki^_^yui-chanxDv32

Post by aragaki^_^yui-chanxDv32 » Aug 4th, '07, 20:16

I recommend the following:

1.GTO
2.Gokusen 1&2
3.Dragon Zakura
4.Stand Up!
5.Kurosagi
6.My Boss My Hero
7.Nobuta wo Produce
8.Hana Dango Yori