[Discussion] First Kiss

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jul 31st, '07, 12:24

Ep4 was not bad. There were some nice moments especially Kazuki fretting and over reacting when Mio goes off with Dr Yuki.

Yuuta gets much more screen time here.

Ep5 will deal with Dr Renko's past.

Superkyle

Post by Superkyle » Jul 31st, '07, 14:02

i really enjoyed this episode, it was real cute and sad and sweet and i get to see more Yuuta-ness!
there were some really serious moments and Mio was the only one that thought it was amusing or made fun of the moment, i was like "NO NO STOP STOP!!, SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!!," i got too into the drama!
i love Itoh's hair cut, he looks so hot!!!!

this time i didnt see the 'Big Boy'
so wait, Akio does like Takagi sensei?
so sad, when she was trying to leave Akio[the part where she's going to the car in the night] so she could save face [at least i think she was!]
aww! Ichiru likes Mio! hah! that kiss!
hah! Kazuki ordered Escargo at the restaurant, yucky!!!
next weeks episode looks really really interesting, it looks like it will deal with more than Renko's past, hah Ichiru likes Mio! i wonder how that will work out!!!!

Rikayla, thank you for the ratings info! yay! its increasing slowly but surely!!!!!!!

chariloud, i agree! but we can love both dramas equally too!

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Jul 31st, '07, 14:31

Superkyle wrote:
so wait, Akio does like Takagi sensei?
so sad, when she was trying to leave Akio[the part where she's going to the car in the night] so she could save face [at least i think she was!]
aww! Ichiru likes Mio! hah! that kiss!
hah! Kazuki ordered Escargo at the restaurant, yucky!!!
No. He admires Takagi sensei but Mio took it from the rather reverent way he spoke about Takagi sensei that he had a crush on her. Because Mio asked him if he respected Takagi sensei and he said "yes, as a doctor, what she does is more than what others do, moreover she doesn't say unnecessary things. but as a person she has warm side and also a queer side."

lsqB

Post by lsqB » Jul 31st, '07, 15:55

AZN channel is showing FK this season....so I got to watch it in high quality without wasting hours on torrents...

wow. I never noticed all the little facial expressions because I've always been watching it on veoh, but... pretty nice. :mrgreen: this is one of those drama where you can't sacrifice for a low video quality, I thought. that's all ^-^

chckboy5

Post by chckboy5 » Jul 31st, '07, 22:18

i noticed in episode 2 when she was singing in the love hotel, she was wearing the same necklace domyoji gave her in hyd

yamapinku-rabu

Post by yamapinku-rabu » Aug 1st, '07, 01:27

nani? :blink really? the necklace?

chckboy5

Post by chckboy5 » Aug 1st, '07, 03:03

ya the planet one

pinkstars

Post by pinkstars » Aug 1st, '07, 10:59

chckboy5 wrote:i noticed in episode 2 when she was singing in the love hotel, she was wearing the same necklace domyoji gave her in hyd
err.no it's not that same necklace :-)

chckboy5

Post by chckboy5 » Aug 1st, '07, 18:22

haha my bad, kinda looked similar =X

Maeks

Post by Maeks » Aug 1st, '07, 19:32

I was surprised to see AZN showing Japanese shows again (although I haven't watched the channel in near nine months so perhaps my surprise is a bit dated) and even more surprised that they are showing brand new shows that are only a couple of weeks out of Japan.

I watched the first episode and personally didn't think much of it. I like Mao Inoue, and the photographer actor (I can only remember him as Jane from Good Luck!!). But it just seemed like the usual drivel...Not bad, but not extraordinary at the same time,

Alhough I'll probably keep watching it.
Last edited by Maeks on Aug 1st, '07, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

canon05

Post by canon05 » Aug 2nd, '07, 01:38

Just watched ep 2 and I noticed this drama was shot in Vancouver. :blink How come I didn't see her? When was this drama shot?
Last edited by canon05 on Aug 5th, '07, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

canon05

Post by canon05 » Aug 2nd, '07, 02:17

moonlit wrote:Hmmm... I was looking through my city's craigslist in search for job postings at the airport and look what I found:
Agency is looking for background performers (EXTRAS) to play passengers, pretending to be at the Los Angeles International Airport (shooting at YVR) for a Fuji Television drama entitled "First Kiss".

We are looking especially to create a more multicultural atmosphere and hope to book many individuals from an African Canadian or Hispanic background.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME, IT IS A SIGNIFICANT BOOKING that pays an hourly wage.

The pay is $10.00/hr with an agency 15% commission (whatever that means)... I wonder if Inoue Mao will be here!??

Aahhh~After finding out this drama was shot in Vancouver, I started to read thoroughly this thread. It turns out that everyone had known even before it started shooting.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 2nd, '07, 02:36

does anyone know where I can find the most recent episode streaming??

floydian

Post by floydian » Aug 2nd, '07, 12:07

Yorokobi wrote:does anyone know where I can find the most recent episode streaming??
You can watch ep 4 at Youtube
Part 1 -
Part 2 -
Part 3 -
Part 4 -
Part 5 -
I've watched ep 4 and I thought it was a very good follow-up to the previous episode.
Mao's performance keeps getting better and I especially like the scene with Yuuta. There's plenty of emotions Mio went through and Mao did a brilliant job in portraying all these to the viewers. Her disappointment and sadness after Yuki decides to draw the line between him and her, and her attempt to suppress these feelings by putting up a strong front. Mao pulled off these changes in emotions fluidly and naturally.

I like the ending of this episode as well. I was kinda worried that the heartbroken Mio would end up crying, like in the previous episode. But thankfully it didn't happen, and Mio dragged her brother to the restaurant instead. At the restaurant, we once again get to see the strong sibling bond these two have.

Kazu's monologue was also a nice way to end this episode . Even though Mio did start to fall in love as he wanted her to, it was a love that doesn't work out. With only 1 month left before Mio leaves Japan, Kazu is beginning to feel more helpless. Perhaps there's only so much he can do for her... the rest might well be all up to Mio herself.

The next episode should be quite interesting since Mio seems to end up with no place to go to, after being driven out of Ichiru's house by Kazu. I just hope Takeuchi Hideki does a good job directing it since the last 2 episodes were handled by the other directors. The show's been gaining momentum since episode 3 and I hope episode 5 continues with it.

pinkstars

Post by pinkstars » Aug 3rd, '07, 10:00

hMmm.i'm still waiting for the ep3 subbed version.
i wonder if I will like it more than ep2.
i got bored at the middle of ep2. tsk.
i'm hoping that ep3 would be better than the first two :)
u guys already watched ep4..sugoi!

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 3rd, '07, 12:38

@floydian thanks for the links i finally got to watch episode 4!!!

Im liking this drama less as it goes along i think, the storyline is really quite weak and doesnt make me want to keep watching.
The only reason im still watching is Mao shes such a brilliant actress and I enjoy watching her. She is enough to make this drama worth watching

floydian

Post by floydian » Aug 3rd, '07, 14:21

Yorokobi wrote:Im liking this drama less as it goes along i think, the storyline is really quite weak and doesnt make me want to keep watching.
Yeah, that's the most common complaint people have with this show. Weak, boring, predictable story etc. Considering the type of dramas the industry's been producing in recent years and the demographics of dorama viewers now, I guess I can understand why most people are feeling this way (though I don't really agree with them), since FK isn't really the type of show you see much these days.

But personally, I enjoy this show so far because it feels very real and believable, as compared to most shows out there now. The story, the characters, the things they say and do, their emotions and the situations they get themselves in. I can find myself feeling for and relating to the characters. I'm always looking forward to the next episode because I really want to find out what will happen to all the characters next.

Of course, the show did have some less believable moments, but they're not overdone and are mainly for comic relief.

Well, for those who are watching FK (or are planning to), and is expecting it to be an entertaining and straightforward love story, you're gonna be very much disappointed so far. But if 'human' dramas that make you feel (rather than entertain), are your kind of stuff, FK is worth checking out.

Sorry for the long rant above. :P
Last edited by floydian on Aug 3rd, '07, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.

Rikayla

Post by Rikayla » Aug 3rd, '07, 21:16

floydian wrote:
Yorokobi wrote:Im liking this drama less as it goes along i think, the storyline is really quite weak and doesnt make me want to keep watching.
Yeah, that's the most common complaint people have with this show. Weak, boring, predictable etc. Considering the type of dramas the industry's been producing and the demographics of dorama viewers now, I guess I can understand why most people are feeling this way (though I don't really agree with them), since FK isn't really the type of show you see much these days.

But personally, I enjoy this show so far because it feels very real and believable, as compared to most shows out there now. The story, the characters, the things they say and do, their emotions and the situations they get themselves in. I can find myself feeling for and relating to the characters. I'm always looking forward to the next episode because I really want to find out what will happen to all the characters next.

Of course, the show did have some less believable moments, but they're not overdone and are mainly for comic relief.

Well, for those who are watching FK (or are planning to), and is expecting it to be an entertaining and straightforward love story, you're gonna be very much disappointed so far. But if 'human' dramas that make you feel (rather than entertain), are your kind of stuff, FK is worth checking out.

Sorry for the long rant above. :P
Agreed. I'm watching this to sort of keep me grounded. :P The other dramas out there this season are too over the top for me...

yamapinku-rabu

Post by yamapinku-rabu » Aug 4th, '07, 00:31

i think this is a drama that keeps getting better each episode. and of course, the characters are love hehe. so you really wanna know what's gonna happen to them. i guess it's one of those dramas that keeps you guessing. ^^ and i guess it's one of the more realistic dramas out right now.
The other dramas out there this season are too over the top for me...
although i enjoy most of the dramas out this season, there's one that i really didn't like much. :mrgreen:

aragaki^_^yui-chanxDv32

Post by aragaki^_^yui-chanxDv32 » Aug 4th, '07, 00:45

this drama is really interesting ill keep watching this xD

pinkstars

Post by pinkstars » Aug 5th, '07, 16:28

i'm gonna watch ep3 now.yatta! i'm so left behind.huhu.

i just heard that isqB/ Lily had already left d-addicts as well as her subbing career.
It's really sad ne but we should all support her.
YOSH. ganbare lily!! bestest luck! :D:D

angelxx87

Post by angelxx87 » Aug 5th, '07, 19:02

i just heard what lily/ isqB decided to do to. i may be crazy but i'm really depressed about this cuz ever since hyd 2, i've been a regular on her site. it'll be hard to get use to not having such a great translator around. anyhow, we must respect her decision and hope she works hard in the future, and once in a while sneak a peek back at the forums. so lily, if you're reading this: THANKS TRULY FOR EVERYTHING YOU'VE DONE TO HELP US ALL!!!!!! GANBATTE MASU!!!!!

on a first kiss note, i can't wait to watch more eps but does anyone know any sites where i can direct download the episodes of first kiss? thanks everyone

cynlix

Post by cynlix » Aug 6th, '07, 05:16

I've been watching First Kiss ever since it came out, but while I was watching TV today, I noticed there was a show called "First Kiss" on the TV program guide on AZNTV and sure it enough, it was the very same! Episode 2 as a matter of fact. I had no clue AZNTV showed recent dramas. It looked very strange without subtitles for me though .....haha. Good thing I watched it before hand and understood most of it.
Just wanted to share :)

JC

Post by JC » Aug 7th, '07, 01:11

I'm not too sold on this drama yet. Everytime I ty to watch the first episode all the way through I lose interest. I'm gonna stick with it until the end though and am downloading the second episode as I write this. I think Abe Sadao and Gekidan Hitori are awesome.

I also love the theme song. I LOVE the hell out of Oda Kazumasa's "Masshiro" which was the theme for Sore wa totsuzen arashi no you ni and his song for First kiss sounds alot like it.

Oh yeah. And Inuoe Mao is pretty hot. She's got some sexy legs ain't she! :P

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 7th, '07, 01:57

Well last nights episode was rather bland as usual but the acting was still pretty good especially for Mao.
Im still not impressed by that damn male docter's (having a mind blank of his name) acting.
Mio almost got tricked by a good looking guy who gave her a flower.
And the funny flat mate who likes her followed her when she went out and when she almost turned around he did a dance to look..... inconspicuous? Ha yeah like thats gonna work ^_^
I have a favour to ask for anyone who downloads the raw of this episode, there is a scene where funny flatmate is looking out the window of the house and Mio is sitting on the doorstep. I would like a screencap of that scene please if anyone can spare the time! thank you!

becky_49

Post by becky_49 » Aug 7th, '07, 02:10

Any more to go with the summary for Ep.05? I'm anxious to see more even though the subs are only up to Ep.03.

I like Yuuki sensai...so I can't wait to see how him and Mio develop their relationship.
:D

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 7th, '07, 02:30

becky_49 wrote:Any more to go with the synopsis for Ep.05? I'm anxious to see more even though the subs are only up to Ep.03. I like Yuuki sensai...so I can't wait to see how him and Mio develop their relationship. :D
You want more? Ok it went something like this (my memory and japanese arnt to good so dont quote me on this)
- Kazu is worried about Mio after what happened with her and Yuuki sensei at the nd of last episode but Mio is pretending like nothing happened.
- Masaru is making fun of Ichiryu for liking Mio which he denies completely.
- That photo guy Takeo shows up to make Kazu come with him to try and get people to go to Banba's show but Kazu says he is having an important conversation with his sister, Mio says no they aren't and literally pushes Kazu out the door.
- Ichiryu asks Mio if she wants to do something with him but she claims she has something to do and leaves.
- Mio doesnt actually have anything to do so just wanders around looking in shop windows etc. Ichiryu follows her.
- Mio knocks into a good looking guy making him drop his flowers, she helps him pick them up and he is all nice gives her a flower and asks her to come by his cafe to talk, she is really surprised
- She sees Kazu flirting with random girls on the street to try and make them go to photo exhibition, then she goes to the hospital and sees the two doctors together talking happily, they spot her and she acts all happy and just asks the lady docter if she is allowed to drink alcohol (which she isnt), shes very cold to Yuuki sensei
- Eventually she decides to go the the cafe to talk to the nice guy but just as she gets there she sees to other girls with flowers in their hands go in (talking about the guy?)
- Kazu returns home to find no Mio and Masaru says hes out with Ichiryu but the Ichiryu comes home cause he lost Mio, eventually he tells them about the guy with the flowers and all three guys go running to find her, but she is just walking up the street to the house (funny moment with all three guys flat on the road)
- Kazu and Mio have a fight after Mio is rude to Ichiryu and wont appologise so Kazu tells her to leave which she does
- She ends up at the hospital (maybe by abulance not sure) but her heart is ok she just wants somewhere to stay, the woman doctor says she cant stay at the hospital and rings her brother who says he wont come and get her. So she is allowed to stay at the hospital for one night. Then Kazu turns up anyway and asks Yuuki sensei to say nice things to Mio (or something)
- However when Yuuki sensei starts to talk to Mio she guesses that Kazu has said something like that. Then (heres a part i didn really get) she says something about amking lies and yuuki sensei says something which really couldnt be true and then Mio makes a real confession of liking him.

Oh and somewhere near the start yuuki sensei asks woman doctor about the bridge (but i couldnt understand they story well) possibly something about someone she loved commiting suicide.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Aug 7th, '07, 02:33

Yorokobi wrote:Well last nights episode was rather bland as usual but the acting was still pretty good especially for Mao.
Im still not impressed by that damn male docter's (having a mind blank of his name) acting.
Mio almost got tricked by a good looking guy who gave her a flower.
And the funny flat mate who likes her followed her when she went out and when she almost turned around he did a dance to look..... inconspicuous? Ha yeah like thats gonna work ^_^
I have a favour to ask for anyone who downloads the raw of this episode, there is a scene where funny flatmate is looking out the window of the house and Mio is sitting on the doorstep. I would like a screencap of that scene please if anyone can spare the time! thank you!
Still bland after 5 episodes? Then I guess it will continue being that way to the end and I won't be surprised if First Kiss has difficulty hitting anywhere above 16-18% at the rate it goes. I haven't really enjoyed any of Inoue Yumiko's recent dramas with the exception of Shiroi Kyoto. Yeah, Hiraoka Yuuta's acting as the male doctor has been stiff and well, Akio just seems quite one-dimensional.

Interview with Inoue Mao in Nikkan Sports for those who can read Japanese:
http://www.nikkansports.com/entertainme ... 34813.html

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Aug 7th, '07, 02:37

TV rating is just out for Ep5: 13.1%

Doesn't sound a surprise that it got what it did from Yorokobi's spoilers.

Rikayla

Post by Rikayla » Aug 7th, '07, 05:33

raven_frost wrote:TV rating is just out for Ep5: 13.1%

Doesn't sound a surprise that it got what it did from Yorokobi's spoilers.
Awwh man, that really sucks. :( THEY NEED TO DO MORE PROMOTION!!

Yuta Hiraoka's acting? Yeah his acting isn't very good in this series... It's kinda on and off for him I suppose.

And there's your screenshot. :)

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 7th, '07, 05:39

@Rikayla
i haven't seen Yuta Hiraoka in anything else I dont think so I cant compare.

Thanks for the screen shot, is the a moment a second later where hes not actually looking at her?

AsianShortCake

Post by AsianShortCake » Aug 7th, '07, 14:25

cynlix wrote:I've been watching First Kiss ever since it came out, but while I was watching TV today, I noticed there was a show called "First Kiss" on the TV program guide on AZNTV and sure it enough, it was the very same! Episode 2 as a matter of fact. I had no clue AZNTV showed recent dramas. It looked very strange without subtitles for me though .....haha. Good thing I watched it before hand and understood most of it.
Just wanted to share :)
Could you tell me what time and day it's on? I looked at the program guide at their website, but couldn't find First Kiss listed. :unsure:
Thanks. :lol

Superkyle

Post by Superkyle » Aug 7th, '07, 15:38

NOOOO!!! i hope nothing bad happens to Kazu!!!!!!

wow! when Akio left Mio's room he had this face like if someone has spanked him and he was wondering why? i was like what the--!!! am really pissed at that cute guy i thought, 'finally someone for Mio,' but whoa what an a$$hole!

am really looking forward to the next episode, i want to know what will happen, what will happen!!!

wow i thougth it was going to be a simple love story, its dope that her heart condition isnt like the main thing... its very colorful...

eaachh

Post by eaachh » Aug 7th, '07, 16:30

Superkyle wrote:NOOOO!!! i hope nothing bad happens to Kazu!!!!!!

wow! when Akio left Mio's room he had this face like if someone has spanked him and he was wondering why? i was like what the--!!! am really pissed at that cute guy i thought, 'finally someone for Mio,' but whoa what an a$$hole!

am really looking forward to the next episode, i want to know what will happen, what will happen!!!

wow i thougth it was going to be a simple love story, its dope that her heart condition isnt like the main thing... its very colorful...
I don't know what they're saying in the drama (I don't understand Japanese). For Akio, I assume (and expect) that he's just too surprised and so confused about what Mio just said. Considering his face from ep1 and 2, I think he has a secret interest in Mio from the beginning (he may not know himself and think it's a patient-doctor feeling). However, since he was remined by the female doctor not to love a patient, then he tries to draw a line and finally don't know what to do when Mio confused her love. What do you think about my soap opera plot...haha?

floydian

Post by floydian » Aug 7th, '07, 18:07

Just some thoughts on Yuki sensei and Mio, after reading up on a chinese translation on Yuuta's interview from the FK website.
I would believe that Yuki sensei is written to be a very simple and straightforward character. He always speaks his mind and does the things he believe is right. He doesn't beat around the bush and he really is the character he appears to be. But because of this, other people, especially Mio, are able to see through his actions very easily. To me, he actually serves as a balance and contrast to the rest of the characters who have strong personalities. That would explain why he seems to be overshadowed by everyone else in this show.

From the beginning, Yuki sensei doesn't really have any special feelings for Mio, and purely treats her as his patient. But as a newbie doctor, he ends up having this eagerness and good intention to do what he can for Mio, even outside of her hospital life. And Mio slowly ends up falling for Yuki sensei, through all the things he said and did for her.

I'm not entirely sure how Yuuki sensei felt at the end of episode 5, probably a bunch of mixed feelings if I'm in his shoes. But Mio's words did really struck him for sure. I guess we'll find out more in the next episode.
The drop in ratings is definitely disappointing but it doesn't reduces my interest in this show in any way. However, I'm sure it presents as a good opportunity for the media to direct some blame onto Inoue Mao's shoulders, especially so with her rising popularity.

I'm sure there's every chance for them to bounce back with the next episode, since episode 5 kinda feels like the calm before the storm, literally.

yamapinku-rabu

Post by yamapinku-rabu » Aug 7th, '07, 22:18

oh man, 13.1%??!! what is wrong with the world? haha! but anyways, i'm already set on watching this till the end. :lol the cast is great, i hope the story could interest more people. but anyways, gambatte first kiss!!! this is such an underrated drama.

i agree. the blame could very well go to mao.... :cry: so sad and unfair...

becky_49

Post by becky_49 » Aug 8th, '07, 10:56

floydian wrote:Just some thoughts on Yuki sensei and Mio, after reading up on a chinese translation on Yuuta's interview from the FK website.
I would believe that Yuki sensei is written to be a very simple and straightforward character. He always speaks his mind and does the things he believe is right. He doesn't beat around the bush and he really is the character he appears to be. But because of this, other people, especially Mio, are able to see through his actions very easily. To me, he actually serves as a balance and contrast to the rest of the characters who have strong personalities. That would explain why he seems to be overshadowed by everyone else in this show.

From the beginning, Yuki sensei doesn't really have any special feelings for Mio, and purely treats her as his patient. But as a newbie doctor, he ends up having this eagerness and good intention to do what he can for Mio, even outside of her hospital life. And Mio slowly ends up falling for Yuki sensei, through all the things he said and did for her.

I'm not entirely sure how Yuuki sensei felt at the end of episode 5, probably a bunch of mixed feelings if I'm in his shoes. But Mio's words did really struck him for sure. I guess we'll find out more in the next episode.
I agree with what you've said. Sometimes you just need a character to balance out all the others. Even though his personality isn't complex, I think his character still has a lot to offer.
So at the end of Ep.05, does Mio really confess her feelings, or it is another 'lie' she's telling Akio? Is he confused because he doesn't know whether or not to believe her, or because he's more confused of his only feelings? I'm still waiting for the subs!

floydian

Post by floydian » Aug 8th, '07, 12:03

becky_49 wrote:
So at the end of Ep.05, does Mio really confess her feelings, or it is another 'lie' she's telling Akio? Is he confused because he doesn't know whether or not to believe her, or because he's more confused of his only feelings? I'm still waiting for the subs!
I believe Mio's confession is real and Yuki sensei really felt it as well. Mio probably used the 'lie' part as a way out for her, in case she starts regretting later for confessing. But still, I really like the way she pulled off her confession.

Should be interesting to see Yuki sensei's involvement in the next episode, since the synopsis doesn't seem to reveal much.

eaachh

Post by eaachh » Aug 8th, '07, 12:07

floydian wrote:
becky_49 wrote:
I believe Mio's confession is real and Yuki sensei really felt it as well. Mio probably used the 'lie' part as a way out for her, in case she starts regretting later for confessing. But still, I really like the way she pulled off her confession.

Should be interesting to see Yuki sensei's involvement in the next episode, since the synopsis doesn't seem to reveal much.
Where can I read English synopsis please ?

floydian

Post by floydian » Aug 8th, '07, 12:19

eaachh wrote:Where can I read English synopsis please ?
The synopsis I've read is in Chinese. I haven't seen any English ones available yet, but I've seen raven_frost helping to translate them for the previous episodes. So you might want to wait and see if she does it again.

becky_49

Post by becky_49 » Aug 8th, '07, 12:38

eaachh wrote: Where can I read English synopsis please ?
I've been reading the English synopsis off of Soompi forum. Jade_frost has been translating.

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php? ... 616&st=320

eaachh

Post by eaachh » Aug 8th, '07, 12:43

becky_49 wrote:
eaachh wrote: Where can I read English synopsis please ?
I've been reading the English synopsis off of Soompi forum. Jade_frost has been translating.

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php? ... 616&st=320
Thanks so much.

Superkyle

Post by Superkyle » Aug 8th, '07, 15:29

eaachh wrote:
Superkyle wrote:NOOOO!!! i hope nothing bad happens to Kazu!!!!!!

I don't know what they're saying in the drama (I don't understand Japanese). For Akio, I assume (and expect) that he's just too surprised and so confused about what Mio just said. Considering his face from ep1 and 2, I think he has a secret interest in Mio from the beginning (he may not know himself and think it's a patient-doctor feeling). However, since he was remined by the female doctor not to love a patient, then he tries to draw a line and finally don't know what to do when Mio confused her love. What do you think about my soap opera plot...haha?
floydian wrote:Just some thoughts on Yuki sensei and Mio, after reading up on a chinese translation on Yuuta's interview from the FK website.

The drop in ratings is definitely disappointing but it doesn't reduces my interest in this show in any way. However, I'm sure it presents as a good opportunity for the media to direct some blame onto Inoue Mao's shoulders, especially so with her rising popularity.

I'm sure there's every chance for them to bounce back with the next episode, since episode 5 kinda feels like the calm before the storm, literally.
i agree with both analysis

yeah even though the ratings are low thats not gonna stop me from watching...

JC

Post by JC » Aug 8th, '07, 22:40

Yuta Hiraoka's acting? Yeah his acting isn't very good in this series... It's kinda on and off for him I suppose.
I dunno whether it's intentional for him to act all awkward and mismatched or if it's just the actor playing him funny. He was cool in Proposal Daisuken though. I thought he played the coolness of Mikio really well. But like First kiss - he did take a back seat to the energetic performances of the main cast. Especially Hamada Gaku who played Tsuru.

His acting may get better as the series progresses. It'd be easy for an actor who isn't very confident to look bad and fade into the background when you're up against the likes of Inoue Mao, Ito Hideaki, Gekidan Hitori and Abe Sadao. All of whom play their roles so well and with so much energy.

floydian

Post by floydian » Aug 9th, '07, 01:35

JC wrote:I dunno whether it's intentional for him to act all awkward and mismatched or if it's just the actor playing him funny. He was cool in Proposal Daisuken though. I thought he played the coolness of Mikio really well. But like First kiss - he did take a back seat to the energetic performances of the main cast. Especially Hamada Gaku who played Tsuru.

His acting may get better as the series progresses. It'd be easy for an actor who isn't very confident to look bad and fade into the background when you're up against the likes of Inoue Mao, Ito Hideaki, Gekidan Hitori and Abe Sadao. All of whom play their roles so well and with so much energy.
It's intentional for him to act all awkward and mismatched because of the character he was witten to be. I've actually written up on his character a few posts back, basing on the past 5 episodes and the Yuuta interview on the FK website.

In case you've missed it. (No worries, no plot spoilers)
I would believe that Yuki sensei is written to be a very simple and straightforward character. He always speaks his mind and does the things he believe is right. He doesn't beat around the bush and he really is the character he appears to be. Very sincere and honest. But because of this, other people, especially Mio, are able to see through him very easily. To me, he actually serves to balance out, and to contrast with the rest of the characters who all have such strong personalities. That would explain why he seems to be overshadowed by everyone else in this show.

JC

Post by JC » Aug 9th, '07, 02:34

In that case, it'd be cool to see him take on a more energetic role. I can see him getting typecast as the laid back, quite stoic characters though. He has that look about him. Regardless, there's something likeable about him though.

becky_49

Post by becky_49 » Aug 9th, '07, 02:54

floydian wrote:
eaachh wrote:Where can I read English synopsis please ?
The synopsis I've read is in Chinese. I haven't seen any English ones available yet, but I've seen raven_frost helping to translate them for the previous episodes. So you might want to wait and see if she does it again.
Can I ask where I can read the Chinese synopsis?

JC

Post by JC » Aug 9th, '07, 02:54

Also, that fat kid in the dungarees makes me laugh. He's probably gonna end up popping up in every episode as a running gag. When I saw him come off the escalator in the 3rd episode I pissed myself laughing, thinking to myself "Oh, it's HIM again!!?" :lol

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Aug 9th, '07, 03:00

This series has been pretty bland up to this point, but I really enjoyed episode 5. If you asked me why, I wouldn't know what to say. I just didn't find myself dozing off like I had in the previous episodes. :) Also, I remember seeing this in someone else's post but, I love how this show doesn't focus so much on Mio's sickness; the story is very unique in my opinion! Hopefully 'First Kiss' will only get better, the preview for the next episode is already killing me! :( I hate waiting...

floydian

Post by floydian » Aug 9th, '07, 03:50

Dozing off sounds pretty serious. :P

Though I can probably understand why, with all the conversation and lack of drama. It has a very slice of life feel to it, so that's why it might not go down well with everyone, especially those used to the HYD kind of love story.

But, I really enjoyed the first 4 episodes because we get an insight on all the characters and the building up of relationship between them. Like how Mio is acting like that to hide the inner struggles she has, the sibling relationship between Mio and Kazu, where they relied on, supported and encouraged each other, and the subtle love Mio slowly develops etc. The show also touched on friendship, especially so in episode 5.

The preview for episode 6 is really killing me too! :-(

eaachh

Post by eaachh » Aug 9th, '07, 04:16

floydian wrote:Dozing off sounds pretty serious. :P

Though I can probably understand why, with all the conversation and lack of drama. It has a very slice of life feel to it, so that's why it might not go down well with everyone, especially those used to the HYD kind of love story.

But, I really enjoyed the first 4 episodes because we get an insight on all the characters and the building up of relationship between them. Like how Mio is acting like that to hide the inner struggles she has, the sibling relationship between Mio and Kazu, where they relied on, supported and encouraged each other, and the subtle love Mio slowly develops etc. The show also touched on friendship, especially so in episode 5.

The preview for episode 6 is really killing me too! :-(
I totally agree with you.

yamapinku-rabu

Post by yamapinku-rabu » Aug 9th, '07, 09:21

it's also nice how this show can give people so many insights. :P

i havent seent he fat kid since episode 3 though. he hasn't made an appearance after that. :lol

Superkyle

Post by Superkyle » Aug 9th, '07, 23:38

i know that the big boy didnt make an appearence in episode 04 which really dissapointed me because i thought i was going to see him in all the episodes but then i saw him in episode 05 and i was like YEAH! its back on again!!!

well for sure the next episode is killing me!!! i want NOW!!!

yamapinku-rabu, true that so many peeps to give you more deep insights, this drama doensnt feel that serious like it would be in a Death and Life drama but its deep...

JC

Post by JC » Aug 10th, '07, 01:37

First kiss isn't rubbish. But it just isn't grabbing me. It seems so slow. Gekidan Hitori and Abe Sadao are great, but everything else just seems lacking. I'll stick with it, but I really do find myself switching off whilst I'm watching episodes. I found it difficult to get past the beginning of the 3rd episode because of this bit...

:lol I couldn't stop laughing!

The last drama I watched fully was Bambino! and I'm currently into Hanazakari no kimi tachi e. So I guess in comparison to these, I'm just finding First kiss a little stoic and slow.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 10th, '07, 02:24

i realised this morning how much i knew HYD, i was upstairs and i heard some music on the tv downstairs and immediatly i was like "that hana yori dango!" and then i hear Mao say "arigatou" and immediatly i know from the sound of her voice that its the last scene between her and tsubasa in the last ep of the first season, haha Im a freak!
Anyone i watched the end I was so taken a back by how different tsukushi and mio are. Mao has done a really good job in throwing off her tsukushi cloak in this drama. I know a lot of people say that mao will always be tsukushi to them and i thought she might too but no really shes a great actress and has pulled of a different character brilliantly in this.

becky_49

Post by becky_49 » Aug 10th, '07, 02:25

The preview for Ep.06 sounds exciting! I wonder if Akio will finally confess his true feelings to Mio...? But it seems like she runs away before he gets his words out...

yamapinku-rabu

Post by yamapinku-rabu » Aug 10th, '07, 09:33

Yorokobi completely agree with you there. i think mao is an effective actress to truly shake off her tsukushi character. ^^ it's an unforgettable character and kudos to her for being so convincing as mio. complete opposite character.

wow really? i thought first kiss is more engaging than hana kimi. hehe. i guess i really don't find it funny. i only find nakatsu interesting. haha! and also pi's best friend, yuu. haha!

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 10th, '07, 10:09

im currently watching a bif list of summer dramas
hana kimi, first kiss, yama onna kabe onna, sushi oji!, yamada taro, jotei, papa to musume, life and hotaru no hikari and i have to say that hana kimi beats first kiss for me too and in truth first kiss would be near the bottom if i ranked them all, but i still somewhat enjoy but mostly for maos acting i think

floydian

Post by floydian » Aug 10th, '07, 19:04

yamapinku-rabu wrote:Yorokobi completely agree with you there. i think mao is an effective actress to truly shake off her tsukushi character. ^^ it's an unforgettable character and kudos to her for being so convincing as mio. complete opposite character.!
And I'm gonna agree with yamapinku-rabu. :P
Mao is just outstanding here. I love her distinct line delivery for each different situation, and the way she changes/switches between different expressions/emotions so fluidly and naturally. 15 years of acting experience has really served her well.

Moving back to FK, I was just surfing around a Chinese BBS and it seems like the show is going to be 11 episodes long. So the last episode will be aired on 17 September.

On the same BBS, there's also some Chinese translations of FK related stuff. Like the official press conference before FK aired, interviews with Inoue Mao and Ito Hideaki from the official FK website, interview between the trio roommates and one with Matsuyuki Yasuko.

If you understand Chinese, they're definitely worth reading. They'll give you a deeper understanding and appreciation of the story, the characters and the actors/actresses themselves.

Here's the link to the translations. Don't copy and post them elsewhere without the translator's permission!

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 10th, '07, 23:47

can anyone translate them into english?? actually i probably could if i had the originals

yamapinku-rabu

Post by yamapinku-rabu » Aug 11th, '07, 01:38

thanks for that floydian now if only the chinese characters could all appear haha! sadly, it doesn't :cry:

i enjoyed yamada taro more than hana kimi though. since in hana kimi it doesn't really make me care what happens to the characters. it's like i'm just watching it but not really processing what's happening. just doesn't grab my attention. ^^ only a few nakatsu moments and then i just zone out again haha! but yamada taro has so many awwww moments. and papa to musume too! it's cute! ^^ for me hana kimi is in the bottom of my list. :P

floydian

Post by floydian » Aug 11th, '07, 03:30

Yorokobi wrote:can anyone translate them into english?? actually i probably could if i had the originals
The interviews with Mao and Hideaki can be found at the official website. They've got interviews with Yuuta and Gekidan Hitori too. There's also a whole bunch of interesting stuff under the 'Special' section. As for the official press conference, it's available here. :-)

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 11th, '07, 03:33

floydian wrote:
Yorokobi wrote:can anyone translate them into english?? actually i probably could if i had the originals
The interviews with Mao and Hideaki can be found at the official website. They've got interviews with Yuuta and Gekidan Hitori too. There's also a whole bunch of interesting stuff under the 'Special' section. As for the official press conference, it's available here. :-)
thanks
i myself am probably not into this series enough to translate them so someone else can have a go.
however is someone wants me to try and translate anything in particular i would be more than willing to try

becky_49

Post by becky_49 » Aug 11th, '07, 05:01

I've given a stab at the Mao interview, but seeing as I'm reading the Chinese translations and translating it into English, I might have missed some points here. Here goes:

Q: When you first found out you were appearing in a September drama, what were your feelings?
A: You know, I didn't really have much a reaction. But when everyone around me was congratulating me, then I began to realize how great it was to have a drama out at this peak time.

Q: Everyone thought it was great? Would it cause any pressure for you?
A: Right at the beginning I hadn't really absorbed everything yet, so it didn't really affect me. But when I got the script for the first episode, I started feeling a little bit anxious.

Q: This time the character you're portraying is a feisty troublemaker. What were your first impressions?
A: The characters I've portrayed before were all very serious and righteous, and were slower getting into relationships. That's why I anticipated portraying this new character because she is very different than all the others.

Q: What were your first thoughts on the character? For example, did you find any similarities between yourself and Mio? Did you have to build this character completely from scratch?
A: It was part acting, part deciding on the bits and pieces that I thought were appropriate for the role. At first the character was completely constructed through my interpretation, but during the filming process and the interactions with my fellow cast members, the character slowly evolved. It helps to observe others, like for example university students.

Q: A particular group of university students?
A: I've been observing friends that are a bit rambunctious. Looking at their actions and how they dress.

Q: Do you have friends at university?
A: Of course! Many! Although most are similar to this character! I'm very happy to be in school, because you can interact with some many different types of people.

Q: Since in the drama, your character has just returned from the State, you must have some dialogue in English...
A: I actually never thought of that at first. But I know if I study and practice it should not be a problem. It makes sense to have English dialogue, although it is very difficult without lots of practice.

Q: According to the director, the only person that can pull off a drama with both laughter and tears can only be Inoue Mao!
A: In any drama, it is very difficult to deliver these emotions to the audience. Although I don't know the mechanics of this process, I place my faith with the script, the cast and the crew. Then I put full efforts into my acting.

Q: The script called for many different actors. When you first heard that Ito Hideaki was cast in the role of your brother, what were your thoughts?
A: Having such a handsome brother is not bad, especially having all these sibling arguments! Actually I do have an older brother. Most of my friends, especially the girls like him. I often hear how great it is to have an older brother. I find that siblings have a lot of chemistry, especially within this particular script.

Q: In your opinion, what is an older brother like?
A: I believe he's more of a friend. But lately mine is becoming more like my dad!

Q: In the script, Ito Hideaki is a useless, good-for-nothing brother. In your opinion, could you forgive a brother like that?
A: From which angle? I think older brothers should learn to tolerate their sister's rambunctious behaviour! If they can't listen to their adorable younger sister, then it's no good!

Q: From what you've said, Kazu is a good brother?
A: Yes!

Q: Would your real life brother tolerate your behaviour?
A: Yes! When it's late at night and raining, he will usually come pick me up. If it's his day off, he will take me out to play. Also, even though it happens less now, but he will leave me messages to encourage me. But sometimes his words sound like they're coming from my dad! "I know you're busy, but remember not to make us worry and take care of yourself." Although he doesn't compliment me on my acting, but he will say things like, "since you've chosen this career, remember you'll have to work hard to the very end."

Q: Although I'm sure right now you have a lot of energy and inspiration, but where do you go to recharge yourself?
A: At school. It doesn't matter if it's school or work, there's always things to do which occupies my time. Although school can be really draining, but whenever I talk to my class mates, I realize that my decision to study is the correct one. It is a bit bothersome to have to go to work after school. A lot of people do comment on how much energy I still have! Although I haven't really noticed it, but school has really been where I look to recharge myself.

yamapinku-rabu

Post by yamapinku-rabu » Aug 11th, '07, 05:15

thanks becky_49. :D

floydian

Post by floydian » Aug 11th, '07, 05:48

Nice work, becky_49! :D

There's a small mistake in the first question though. It should be "Getsuku drama", instead of "September drama". They're actually referring to the golden timeslot (月九/Monday 9), and not the month. Other than this, everything else is pretty much spot on.

If possible, I'd love to see you do more translations! :-)

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 11th, '07, 10:15

thanks for the translation!!!

becky_49

Post by becky_49 » Aug 11th, '07, 11:56

floydian wrote:Nice work, becky_49! :D

There's a small mistake in the first question though. It should be "Getsuku drama", instead of "September drama". They're actually referring to the golden timeslot (??/Monday 9), and not the month. Other than this, everything else is pretty much spot on.

If possible, I'd love to see you do more translations! :-)
Thanks for clarifying! I looked at that and I was like, "do I reverse the words and read as September?" I don't think this term exists in Chinese, it was just a direct copy...hence my translation was off!

Rikayla

Post by Rikayla » Aug 11th, '07, 18:22

JC wrote:
I dunno whether it's intentional for him to act all awkward and mismatched or if it's just the actor playing him funny. He was cool in Proposal Daisuken though. I thought he played the coolness of Mikio really well. But like First kiss - he did take a back seat to the energetic performances of the main cast. Especially Hamada Gaku who played Tsuru.

Agreed. I think it's kind of nerves too. I mean, the last few dramas Yuta has been in, he has worked with actors/actresses his age, whereas in this drama, he's working with more experienced and older actors/actresses. I have a feeling he's more comfortable in being a supporting character than a leading character like Yuuki-sensei.

Becky_49, that translation was wonderful~ Thanks a lot!! :D

becky_49

Post by becky_49 » Aug 11th, '07, 22:36

Interview with Ito Hideaki

Q: The 'Kiss' poster has generated a lot of talk.
A: When we were doing the shoot, it was really embarrassing. There's not many chances to do a poster like that. Men over thirty filming a kissing expression...when I saw myself in it I felt really disgusted!

Q: This light-hearted series has both humourous moments and sad moments. When you first received the script, what were your first impressions?
A: I was very interested. The pace was well thought out and the rhythm of the script allowed for many emotions to be carried out. I thought it was very well written.

Q: Did you discuss beforehand with the director about your portrayal of Kazu?
A: We discussed his characteristics. Although he isn't very reliable nor is he very smart, he is very serious and attentive when it comes to his younger sister. He keeps telling Mio to live life to the fullest, but in fact it is Mio who understands this better than him. In reality he is trying to absorb that message through her in hopes to understand it better himself. If I am able to convey this through my acting, that would be spectacular. I often discuss this with the director.

Q: You haven't been in a comedy for a while now. When you're filming a comedy, what do you pay attention to?
A: I don't usually don't pay attention to anything in particular. Right before we begin to film, I'm always very excited and I can't wait to work with the cast.

Q: Director Wakamatsu Hiroki had said that having you in the comedy would certainly light up the screen. Having these expectations, did it give you more pressure?
A: Of course! But I've collaborated with Abe Sadao in comedies before and we worked very well together. Obviously Inoue Mao is an amazing actress... all the cast members in this production have very unique personalities, so it really made me enjoy the filming process.

Q: What were your impressions Mao, who plays your younger sister Mio?
A: Very cute and also very reliable. An incredibly talented actress.

Q: What if you had a younger sister like Mao?
A: Actually I do have a younger sister and she as well has an older brother, who's age is very close to my own.

Q: Mao has said that she's very rambunctious and can be a little troublemaker for her brother.
A: So similar to her character! But actually it's not that bad. My real life sister is only a year younger than me, so our relationship is very good. I find that siblings have close relationships regardless of the age difference. But since my sister and I are so close in age, I found it hard to imagine having a sister much younger. Sometimes I can't seem to grasp that feeling. But in terms of the sibling chemistry, it was easy to recreate.

Q: What were you expecting during the filming of this series?
A: A summer series...the audience can fully appreciated the warm, sunny atmosphere. Unfortunately for us, we have no time to appreciate it as we are constantly working! Can't even get a tan! Actually the most important thing right now is to continue looking after my health so I will be able to keep filming good series for people to watch. I hope everyone continues to support us!

:lol

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 12th, '07, 03:52

i recently watched "check it out yo!" a movie that has both mao and Yuta in it. I wouldnt really recomend the movie, once again Mao acting was good, Yuta was better than first kiss but didnt really have a big enough part to let his acting show through

eirammm

Post by eirammm » Aug 12th, '07, 23:55

just watched the first episode.. although im not sure if i'd wanted to see more but it's great to see mao-chan being the bad girl..... she sure has brother complex.. lol. and the guy, the doctor one was the one from proposal daisasuken right? he was yamapi's friend there... is this going to be a love story between the main girl and some guy wherein that the older bother will find her a good boyfriend?

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Aug 13th, '07, 07:44

Title of Ep6: Now, Love Blooms

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Aug 14th, '07, 00:45

raven_frost wrote:Title of Ep6: Now, Love Blooms
Episode ratings fall. 11.1%

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Aug 14th, '07, 01:48

Last nights episode was pretty good for this drama
Yuuki sensei filnally discovers feelings for Mio
but he says something about there not being much time and Mio shows how much shes changed recently by saying she used to think that too but now she realises there is plenty of time, there are so many things you can talk about and do in a month (or somthing like that)