speak whatever language you like here.
fairytwix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fairytwix » Jun 21st, '06, 16:49

@ lowest..wut festival was it?

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Jun 21st, '06, 21:29

Ahh we had a powercut this afternoon... from 3.45pm to 10pm!!! Couldn't watch the football at home so had to go someplace else :(

fairytwix it was the korean film festival! I wish i could have gone aswell...

fairytwix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fairytwix » Jun 21st, '06, 21:32

waaah..powercut? awww..bless u guyz..i dint even experience it..lol..or mebbe we dint ave it nwei...hahahah...

korean film fesT? WER!!?

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Jun 23rd, '06, 20:31

It was at Leicester Square, which is pretty much the only place I go to when I visit London (right next to chinatown hahaha :lol )

I am at home watching football on a Friday night :cry: I am giving up my nights out to save for a holiday to hk in November (been a looong time since i last visited my family there... '99!!!) Actually it will be my first holiday abroad since then... I have been stuck on this island non-stop for too long!

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Jun 26th, '06, 11:33

fairytwix, it was the second one, the first attracted loads of people so hopefully the second did the same and they'll have a third, the entry to watch the movies was also free! :P

fairytwix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by fairytwix » Jun 26th, '06, 12:40

Lowest wrote:fairytwix, it was the second one, the first attracted loads of people so hopefully the second did the same and they'll have a third, the entry to watch the movies was also free! :P
w0ah..really?? hahaha.. when's the third one gonna be?? i wanna go!! hehehe... :roll

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Jun 27th, '06, 14:31

fairytwix wrote:
Lowest wrote:fairytwix, it was the second one, the first attracted loads of people so hopefully the second did the same and they'll have a third, the entry to watch the movies was also free! :P
w0ah..really?? hahaha.. when's the third one gonna be?? i wanna go!! hehehe... :roll
Sorry this years was the third not the second. The next one will probably be around the same time (end of May) next year, if it happens.

Edinburgh Film Festival is on from 14th - 27th August this year, which is going to include Korean films apparently.

- http://www.koreanfilm.org.uk/7.html
- http://www.londonkoreanlinks.net/index_files/events.htm

Emperor

Post by Emperor » Jul 7th, '06, 14:22

Hello fellow UK'ers i'm a new drama addict here :)

geepers

Post by geepers » Jul 7th, '06, 20:03

yo, any scots out ther?
cool, a uk thread :)

do most of u ppl d/l drama? not really al dat accessible is it? (if it is, leme kno wher u get it from please..?)

nikoru

Post by nikoru » Jul 21st, '06, 23:01

Arghhhhhhhhh its soooooooooo hot!!! lol
Lovely and brown now though but I wish it was alot cooler at sleepy time.
is anyone from Portsmouth? How do you get the Tar off the back of your shoes? Oven?

Finally the vulgar gob that is Jayne is out of BigB.... (Anyone watch it?)

Anyone going shopping tomorrow? Big sale on at NEXT.

>geepers: Why do you think its not that accessible to d/l? I don't understand what you mean, its accessible surely. Theres loads of torrents to choose from aren't there? There always seems to be something new. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Afterall I only download Japanese Variety TV shows these days. To me, everything else is pants. lol
If you mean the choice is poor theres http://www.henshin-tigers.net/series.php and for anime http://bt.saiyaman.info/

hkgirl

Post by hkgirl » Jul 30th, '06, 14:07

Hi Ukers - here by way of my russian lj friend in the US. Any suggestions on good things to download? I've started download Mars because that was what she recommended. She gave me the link for You tube because my download was taking so long, I got no sleep for two nights. I just had to watch it.

Maia

Post by Maia » Aug 4th, '06, 16:33

Heeyy! Wow, I never knew there was a UK thread. Anyway yes.. I'm from London! =D

freezspirit

Newbie - lookind for first asian comedy show to watch?

Post by freezspirit » Aug 14th, '06, 22:49

Ok, let my first explain how I found this site: about a couple of months now I've got bored of the american/british movies that have come out so thought I would try something different to cheer me up. I've always like Jackie Chan and Jet Li movies so I thought why not try asian and I particularly love watching comedies. So I purchased some vcds from yesasia mainly starring Miriam Yeung. Recently have focused on Korean, Japanese and Chinese movies.

Ok getting back to what I really want to know, I thought if the Asian movies are so much better than the american/british movies why not try asian comedy drama.

So this brings me to the point, can someone point me in the correct direction, whats a good first asian comedy to go for.

Another thing is anyone willing in the uk to exchange via snail mail, worth a try if not sorry for asking.

hkgirl

Re: Newbie - lookind for first asian comedy show to watch?

Post by hkgirl » Aug 21st, '06, 01:16

freezspirit wrote: So this brings me to the point, can someone point me in the correct direction, whats a good first asian comedy to go for.
Not sure what you are looking for but Gokusen and Smiling Pasta are funny.
There are some links to download on the jdrama community on livejournal. You need to have a livejournal (free blog) and you need to become a member of the community before you can see anything. All the links are megaupload links and much quicker to download than bt.
http://www.livejournal.com/
http://community.livejournal.com/jdramas - jdrama's community for asian dramas and films (unlicenced in the US)

You can see some episodes of Gokusen 1 &2 here and episode 1 part 1 of smile pasta here, the user has got the rest of the series so far but you need to friend her before you can view them. Details on her profile.

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Sep 4th, '06, 23:04

nikoru wrote:Arghhhhhhhhh its soooooooooo hot!!! lol
Lovely and brown now though but I wish it was alot cooler at sleepy time.
is anyone from Portsmouth?
South Coast Represent!! Haha couldn't resist, I'm from brighton-way.

JC

Post by JC » Sep 4th, '06, 23:31

'sup fellow UK-ers! :salut:

applekat

Post by applekat » Sep 5th, '06, 17:13

anyone else from london? ^^

there was a korean film fest??? wha?!! is there gonna be a chinese one... probs not
someone lemme know if thers anything else out there!!

unclehock

Post by unclehock » Dec 11th, '06, 17:34

studying in london, so i wonder if that counts..
but yes i haven't posted much cos i just found out that my IE doesn't let me log on but mozilla's fine.

beeen watching dramas for almost a year now and still going nuts about them. haha. wheee. d-addicts rock

evhime

Post by evhime » Feb 27th, '07, 21:09

I live near Glasgow. Nice to see so many Brits here :-)

Issy

Post by Issy » Feb 28th, '07, 01:03

Hellooooo minna
nice to meet you all. i did not know that there is a thread for UK d-addicts too.
take care everyone
:lol

YaGaMi82

Post by YaGaMi82 » Apr 29th, '07, 23:44

Hello there!!!

Another one here from Manchester!

namedx

Post by namedx » Jul 7th, '07, 10:35

WOO HOO!!!!!!! Lol finally found a page dedicated to Brit fans!!! Hey people I'm from The West Midlands-lol I was beginning to wonder whether there was anyone else from the UK who is as much obsessed with Asian dramas as I am!! Please tell me this isn't it-people from the UK where you at!!?

PeAce out =)

ah_pod

Post by ah_pod » Jul 7th, '07, 10:50

Hello from rainy Peterborough. haha

icepeanut

Post by icepeanut » Jul 14th, '07, 22:43

Newbie and hailing from West London. I'm probably the odd one here - i love the British unpredictable weather. I spent half my life in London and the other half in Malaysia = still vote for London. Lots of freedom and choices despite everything. I can really let my hair down and do as I like. Nice to know there's a few British D Addicts out there.

P/s. 1. any one can recommend good and reliable broadband provider, fast dl and ul
speed? I'm on a c****y 20Gb and snail pace upload speed for £27pcm. It is so unrealiable - worse than Royal Mail!!!! Oh yes - Virgin Media formerly Telewest/blue yonder (used to be one of the best)

2. Btw, I could not resist Maplin's recent offer of 100 DVD-R Verbatim disk at £19.99 (usual price = £29.99) I bought 8 - yes 800 yesterday and my arms still hurting from carrying them. Anyone with better deal - pls let me know.

ZenMystic

Post by ZenMystic » Jul 14th, '07, 23:07

Birmingham West Midlands here! Seems to be a fair few of us from the UK.

takanome

Post by takanome » Jul 16th, '07, 09:59

Hello guys, I'm from North London!!!
I'm new to this forum but I've been watching Jdramas for about 2 years now..

YaGaMi82

Post by YaGaMi82 » Jul 20th, '07, 02:59

Icepeanut - Welcome to d-addicts!

Don't tell me you're seriously loving the current weather, it's not unpredictable these days cuz you know it's just going to rain. :cry:

The deal you got on the DVD-Rs are great because Verb discs are the best. Staples had a summer offer which finished recently on the same disks which was 100 for £12.99. Keep a lookout they might do them offer again.

As for broadband you can try out Sky and Virgin Media tarriffs, also browse the net for offers on internet.

Hope this helps!

Hika.chan

Post by Hika.chan » Aug 10th, '07, 00:09

Hi, I'm moving to Mountnessing near Brentwood (Essex) soon. It's not too far away from London at least. Nice to meet you all. :lol

haywon

Post by haywon » Aug 10th, '07, 10:45

Hi everyone! :D

I come from England :-)

baybiicharli

Post by baybiicharli » Aug 10th, '07, 11:01

hey im from the uk lol
dunno if youve heard of it but im from mexborough which is in doncaster

haywon

Post by haywon » Aug 10th, '07, 22:37

ZenMystic wrote:Birmingham West Midlands here! Seems to be a fair few of us from the UK.
Omg wow i live 32 miles away from Birmingham :D

doramafreak

torrent friendly broadband suppliers in UK?

Post by doramafreak » Aug 26th, '07, 23:29

I may be moving to the UK. Could anyone currently living there provide any feedback on how 'torrent-friendly' or unfriendly broadband providers in the UK are? News reports say that a lot of the big suppliers have monthly caps on how much can be downloaded per month. Have you had any good or bad experiences with a particular company? I can't imagine life without my dorama fix.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Aug 26th, '07, 23:56

oo there's a uk thread :cheers:
hey everyone...im from london =D

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Aug 27th, '07, 00:07

hey!! was wondering if there was a thread for us too!!...im from london!

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Aug 27th, '07, 00:13

ktnew wrote:hey!! was wondering if there was a thread for us too!!...im from london!
cool! hehe london's great

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Aug 27th, '07, 00:16

I know!! Im at uni in the north near manchester and love it but London is home and will always be best lol

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Aug 27th, '07, 00:27

ktnew wrote:I know!! Im at uni in the north near manchester and love it but London is home and will always be best lol
oh, wot uni d'you go to?
haha yeh true.

anoney

Post by anoney » Aug 27th, '07, 00:30

London here!

Studying Japanese at a London Uni too. Just chiming in...

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Aug 27th, '07, 00:33

whoo :thumleft:
lots of people in london here

theskillster

Post by theskillster » Aug 27th, '07, 00:41

Hi, been watching J-drama for about one year now.
D-addicts is a haven for me!
Im a working man from Wembley in London.

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Aug 27th, '07, 08:02

The main providers, who are much less expensive than the smaller guys, have trouble keeping up with demand. Even if they aren't capping you, the sheer weight of numbers, and your distance from the telephone exchange, can have a bad affect on the speeds you get. I use a smaller provider, which is twice as expensive for 40gb a month, but they have no issues with what I do or how I do it, so long as I don't go over my limit (which I can check every day - towards the end of the month it can get a bit difficult, but 40 gig is plenty).
Your best bet is to Google the UK on broadband providers, there are plenty of forums which will give you the lowdown. It's not always best to go cheap and big....but my first provider, another small operation, went bust and I was left high and dry for ten days trying to sort it all out!
Mostly, it depends on your budget. If you only want to spend ten or fifteen pounds a month, you might find that your download speeds are mighty slow, but you WILL still be able to download. If you can spend a bit more, go for one of the smaller operators, but check the forums first. I am happy to recommend mine, they are called Fast and also provide email addresses etc. Check them out on fast.co.uk

doramafreak

Post by doramafreak » Aug 27th, '07, 10:24

Thanks Gozen, I'll see what I can come up with on google. Thanks also for your recommendation!

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Aug 27th, '07, 17:46

funkindagirl wrote:
ktnew wrote:I know!! Im at uni in the north near manchester and love it but London is home and will always be best lol
oh, wot uni d'you go to?
haha yeh true.
im at the uni of central lancashire in preston...doing international journalism...i was doing mandarin too as an elective but think this year i might have to do japanese because i dont know if theyre doing higher levels in manadrin :-)

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Aug 27th, '07, 19:27

ktnew wrote:
funkindagirl wrote:
oh, wot uni d'you go to?
haha yeh true.
im at the uni of central lancashire in preston...doing international journalism...i was doing mandarin too as an elective but think this year i might have to do japanese because i dont know if theyre doing higher levels in manadrin :-)
international journalism. cool. i considered doing that but now im not sure. is it interesting?
ive always wanted to learn jap..

madlandyman

Post by madlandyman » Aug 27th, '07, 20:01

wow been on this site for a year and only just noticed this thread.
Another Mancunian here.
I actually got to see the Monkey stage show That David Albarn did the music for, it was very enjoyable, more circus skills than acting but a good night out none the less.

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Aug 27th, '07, 20:05

funkindagirl wrote:
ktnew wrote:
funkindagirl wrote:
oh, wot uni d'you go to?
haha yeh true.
international journalism. cool. i considered doing that but now im not sure. is it interesting?
ive always wanted to learn jap..
yes its really interesting...the good thing is theres loads of opportunities to study abroad as well!!...id really recommend it if youre interested in that type of thing!

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Aug 27th, '07, 20:24

madlandyman wrote:wow been on this site for a year and only just noticed this thread.
Another Mancunian here.
I actually got to see the Monkey stage show That David Albarn did the music for, it was very enjoyable, more circus skills than acting but a good night out none the less.
lol yeh this thread was kinda hidden on the 3rd page for a while, had to bump up :D

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Aug 27th, '07, 20:25

ktnew wrote: yes its really interesting...the good thing is theres loads of opportunities to study abroad as well!!...id really recommend it if youre interested in that type of thing!
oh thats definitely my kinda thing. i love travelling and visiting places abroad...
what places hav u been to?

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Aug 27th, '07, 22:33

funkindagirl wrote:
ktnew wrote: yes its really interesting...the good thing is theres loads of opportunities to study abroad as well!!...id really recommend it if youre interested in that type of thing!
oh thats definitely my kinda thing. i love travelling and visiting places abroad...
ive been a lot of places i cudnt possible list them all but my favourite so far have been China, Cuba and Egypt!!...what bout u?

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Aug 27th, '07, 22:45

ktnew wrote:
funkindagirl wrote:
ive been a lot of places i cudnt possible list them all but my favourite so far have been China, Cuba and Egypt!!...what bout u?
really? lol i can count all the places ive been on my fingers...
ahh china, cuba and egypt!!! im so envious...uve gone to the best places...
lol, my tutor is forever telling me bout china.
my sis couldnt stop going on about cuba when she came bak last year
and my friend just came back from egypt this summer raving about it.
everyone's been so many great places except me... =(

well ive been malaysia (about 100 times...my family are ALWAYS going there whenever there's a holiday), italy, france, belgium, singapore.
...and thats about it really :lol
but im really hoping to be able to go taiwan and south korea next summer...been wanting to go 4eva!
im more interested in south east asian countries than european ones.

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Aug 27th, '07, 23:11

funkindagirl wrote:
ktnew wrote:
funkindagirl wrote:
really? lol i can count all the places ive been on my fingers...
ahh china, cuba and egypt!!! im so envious...uve gone to the best places...
lol, my tutor is forever telling me bout china.
my sis couldnt stop going on about cuba when she came bak last year
and my friend just came back from egypt this summer raving about it.
everyone's been so many great places except me...

well ive been malaysia (about 100 times...my family are ALWAYS going there whenever there's a holiday), italy, france, belgium, singapore.
...and thats about it really :lol
but im really hoping to be able to go taiwan and south korea next summer...been wanting to go 4eva!
im more interested in south east asian countries than european ones.
Yeah ive been to loads of european countries and yes they are lovely but eastern countries always appeal to me more...ive always wanted to go to malaysia and singapore so im jealous of u there lol...one of my friends is malay and hes always saying how beautiful it is there...taiwan, south korea and japan are the places i want to go to next too! Japan first hopefully :D just need to get my degree over with and then i can pack my bags and actually go the places I want to

My dad always says Ive got itchy feet and im never happy unless im running off somewhere loll...last summer i came home from school and told my parents i was going to china for 3months and i dont think my mum fully believed it until i was on the plane lol

are u malaysian? is that why you've been alot? id loove to go there!

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Aug 28th, '07, 23:08

ktnew wrote: Yeah ive been to loads of european countries and yes they are lovely but eastern countries always appeal to me more...ive always wanted to go to malaysia and singapore so im jealous of u there lol...one of my friends is malay and hes always saying how beautiful it is there...taiwan, south korea and japan are the places i want to go to next too! Japan first hopefully :D just need to get my degree over with and then i can pack my bags and actually go the places I want to

My dad always says Ive got itchy feet and im never happy unless im running off somewhere loll...last summer i came home from school and told my parents i was going to china for 3months and i dont think my mum fully believed it until i was on the plane lol

yeh eastern countries i feel are more exciting to visit cos everything from the culture, food and people are so different from the west.
haha ive never seen m'sia as a beautiful place but then i guess thats cos i dnt go to the tourist places and the beaches. but when i see pictures in holiday brochures and stuff it really does look amazing! haha
but i absolutely LOVE the shopping centres there cos compared to england, there's loads and so much bigger. especially in the twin towers, thats really a place u gota check out when u get the chance to go.

lol singapore is verrrry clean. thats wot i noticed when i first went there.
but i wish i could go again, only been once and that was to visit my cousins so i didnt really get to see much.

yeh those are my top 3 places i wanna go!
japan looks awesome, especially the night life. but id have to save up like crazy, stuff is so expensive and i know if i went id shop like mad.

HAHA :lol itchy feet. thats a good way of describing it.
so did u go to china alone?

well im chinese with a tiny bit of malay blood, but its my parents that come from malaysia so most of their family are there and they often go visit.

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Aug 29th, '07, 04:12

funkindagirl wrote:
ktnew wrote: Yeah ive been to loads of european countries and yes they are lovely but eastern countries always appeal to me more...ive always wanted to go to malaysia and singapore so im jealous of u there lol...one of my friends is malay and hes always saying how beautiful it is there...taiwan, south korea and japan are the places i want to go to next too! Japan first hopefully :D just need to get my degree over with and then i can pack my bags and actually go the places I want to

yeh eastern countries i feel are more exciting to visit cos everything from the culture, food and people are so different from the west.
haha ive never seen m'sia as a beautiful place but then i guess thats cos i dnt go to the tourist places and the beaches. but when i see pictures in holiday brochures and stuff it really does look amazing! haha
but i absolutely LOVE the shopping centres there cos compared to england, there's loads and so much bigger. especially in the twin towers, thats really a place u gota check out when u get the chance to go.

lol singapore is verrrry clean. thats wot i noticed when i first went there.
but i wish i could go again, only been once and that was to visit my cousins so i didnt really get to see much.

yeh those are my top 3 places i wanna go!
japan looks awesome, especially the night life. but id have to save up like crazy, stuff is so expensive and i know if i went id shop like mad.

HAHA :lol itchy feet. thats a good way of describing it.
so did u go to china alone?

well im chinese with a tiny bit of malay blood, but its my parents that come from malaysia so most of their family are there and they often go visit.
I went to china with one of my best mates and 7 english people id never met before as part of a scholarship thing...but once i was there me n my mate split and did our own separate things so weve got verrry different experiences of the place lol...was an amzing time though!

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Aug 29th, '07, 14:11

oh cool. :-)
btw, did u try out the bugs in those night stalls?

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Aug 29th, '07, 14:17

funkindagirl wrote:oh cool. :-)
I tried some of the wierd animal things like this weird squid like thing that wasnt actually squid lol but i cudnt bring myself to do the bugs *shudder*...one of the guys saw my horrified face and was sticking live scorpians on stick and waving them at me i was sooo disgusted but fascinated LOL...have u ever tried nething like that?

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Sep 1st, '07, 14:00

ktnew wrote:
funkindagirl wrote:oh cool. :-)
I tried some of the wierd animal things like this weird squid like thing that wasnt actually squid lol but i cudnt bring myself to do the bugs *shudder*...one of the guys saw my horrified face and was sticking live scorpians on stick and waving them at me i was sooo disgusted but fascinated LOL...have u ever tried nething like that?
ew if its like squid its enuf to put me off eating it. :|
LOL
no ive never eaten any weird bug things either, i would be too creeped out to try them. i dnt like them when they're alive so they wouldnt be much better when they're dead. i got sent an email a long time ago with close up pics of all the bugs at a night stall in china and i was sooo freaked out, it was the first time i knew that the chinese people there ate stuff like that.
but i would find it very interesting to see the dead bugs on sticks up close though i real life. :roll

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 1st, '07, 15:25

sorry to barge on in your convo, i just happen to see the posts about eating bugs. ive just finished traveling in south east asia for 2 years and i've tried to strange stuff but its all been good. i know my pet shop sells grasshoppers but i think i'll refrain from cooking them as they wont taste the same as they would from thailand.

i'd try anything once, but if its fatty pig head, i just decline

of the places you've travelled / visited, which is your favourite?

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Sep 1st, '07, 16:31

wujou_mao wrote:sorry to barge on in your convo, i just happen to see the posts about eating bugs. ive just finished traveling in south east asia for 2 years and i've tried to strange stuff but its all been good. i know my pet shop sells grasshoppers but i think i'll refrain from cooking them as they wont taste the same as they would from thailand.

LOl yer im a try anything once kinda person too but sometimes i get tooooo creeped out lol.
And in answer to your question Cairo in Egypt has to be one of my most favourite places Ive travelled to...it a place you either love or hate and i loved it!!...what bout you? fav country/city?

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: torrent friendly broadband suppliers in UK?

Post by techie » Sep 1st, '07, 18:18

doramafreak wrote:I may be moving to the UK. !
Poor basta***

1) If you find a provderit will take 2-3 weeks to get online.
2) if you dont pay £24.95 per month it is ALWAYS capped at between 4 and 20 gb per month.
3) if you get ADSL2 you get up to 16 Mb with all except BE under bethere.co.uk which gives up to 24 mbps but you can normally only get 8 Mb because adsl 2 is no good over a couple of km in wired copper.

Also note, BE caps all port 25 to prevent outgoing spam mails so if youre on a home user plan you must use their mail server for outgoing, unless you pay £40 per month for a Pro account.

Especially if you count in the millions of cross jumpered lines inVictorian streets of London that require a minimum of a PhD in Chaos Theory to figure out.

So count on, a a comparison to the US,
"half the speed for twice the buck, good luck".

Guess I could have said something like aawww f but changed my mind
:lol

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Sep 1st, '07, 20:35

wujou_mao wrote:sorry to barge on in your convo, i just happen to see the posts about eating bugs. ive just finished traveling in south east asia for 2 years and i've tried to strange stuff but its all been good. i know my pet shop sells grasshoppers but i think i'll refrain from cooking them as they wont taste the same as they would from thailand.

oo wow...uve travelled over south east asia 4 2 years? thats something i really wanna do!
guess u must have really tried out a lot. hehe..i just dnt have the guts to do that.
so wot was ur fav dish?
lol so wot do grasshoppers taste like?..i curious about that.

fav place i guess would be belgium but thats cos i went with a whole group of friends and not my family so it was more fun.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 2nd, '07, 08:38

funkindagirl wrote:
oo wow...uve travelled over south east asia 4 2 years? thats something i really wanna do!
guess u must have really tried out a lot. hehe..i just dnt have the guts to do that.
so wot was ur fav dish?

fav place i guess would be belgium but thats cos i went with a whole group of friends and not my family so it was more fun.
i was quite naive when i started, didnt know much about culture or reglion. and thought everyone would behave the same way as they do in England and not be so conserative about matters. started my travels in australia, but that was easy as its all English spoken there, very laid back people [its the weather].

as for deep fried grasshoppers, they taste better with a few beers. didnt have the same effect in the morning as it did the night before when i had 20 of them. for food dishes, well in asia there is lots to choose from and if i cant understand the written menu, i normally head for a buffet, where the food is kept heated and pick from there. nasi lemak is ok for a snack. sold on the streets for 1 RM. Bi bim bab in Korea was great, as is almost all food in Korea is. but i wasn't so keen on Filipino food as its quite bland and Chinese food is just very oily. i love the spice and chili so Thai or Lao food is the best. had camel in Vietnam, but i don't know what they did to it to make it taste like a sweaty sock. i had dog soup in a Cambodian market. its not the sort of thing your guesthouse will serve you, so this is why i had the best time ever with my travel bud. we travelled together from Singapore to Philippines for 11 months and always stuck with the locals to eat the foods. you wouldn't see any foreigners eating where we were, but we'd get some looks from the locals. the dog soup however made me ill and i had the shits for 5 days. worse still, i was crossing borders from Cambodia to Vietnam!

fav country? korea, after that its thailand and philipines. least fav place is vietnam

angelcoolz

Post by angelcoolz » Sep 2nd, '07, 09:04

Hi all.....im currently living in Norwich, East Anglia, Norfolk in the purpose of studying...im originally from Malaysia...so yoroshiku-ne?

p/s: u'r conversation looks amazing...mind if i join in?

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 2nd, '07, 10:09

angelcoolz wrote:Hi all.....im currently living in Norwich, East Anglia, Norfolk in the purpose of studying...im originally from Malaysia...so yoroshiku-ne?

sure. i'm in KL at the moment. did you celebrate Merderka with your family?

angelcoolz

Post by angelcoolz » Sep 2nd, '07, 15:00

wujou_mao wrote:
angelcoolz wrote:Hi all.....im currently living in Norwich, East Anglia, Norfolk in the purpose of studying...im originally from Malaysia...so yoroshiku-ne?

sure. i'm in KL at the moment. did you celebrate Merderka with your family?
u'r in KL...was the celebration good?? i was so unlucky cuz i cant celebrate Merdeka this year cuz im still in Norwich...well, there always a next year...did u go to Malaysia for holiday?

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 2nd, '07, 16:24

just a short holiday. iv only been back in UK after 2 years away, but a month ago i had a minor problem with UPS and i had no money. so my entire month was spoilt. missed the San Pedro festival in melaka. so i vowed i'd come back to celebrate merdeka although i missed it sorry to say cos of too many late nights. still as you say, there is always next year. but this year was the big 50 occasion.

anyway, i also came back to buy some Japanese English subtitled drama on DVD [but the English and the quality of the drama is debatable]

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Sep 3rd, '07, 02:18

wujou_mao wrote:
funkindagirl wrote:
so wot was ur fav dish?

i was quite naive when i started, didnt know much about culture or reglion. and thought everyone would behave the same way as they do in England and not be so conserative about matters. started my travels in australia, but that was easy as its all English spoken there, very laid back people [its the weather].

as for deep fried grasshoppers, they taste better with a few beers. didnt have the same effect in the morning as it did the night before when i had 20 of them. for food dishes, well in asia there is lots to choose from and if i cant understand the written menu, i normally head for a buffet, where the food is kept heated and pick from there. nasi lemak is ok for a snack. sold on the streets for 1 RM. Bi bim bab in Korea was great, as is almost all food in Korea is. but i wasn't so keen on Filipino food as its quite bland and Chinese food is just very oily. i love the spice and chili so Thai or Lao food is the best. had camel in Vietnam, but i don't know what they did to it to make it taste like a sweaty sock. i had dog soup in a Cambodian market. its not the sort of thing your guesthouse will serve you, so this is why i had the best time ever with my travel bud. we travelled together from Singapore to Philippines for 11 months and always stuck with the locals to eat the foods. you wouldn't see any foreigners eating where we were, but we'd get some looks from the locals. the dog soup however made me ill and i had the shits for 5 days. worse still, i was crossing borders from Cambodia to Vietnam!

fav country? korea, after that its thailand and philipines. least fav place is vietnam
wow you trip sounds amaazing!!! IM totally jealous!...im dying to do something like that when I graduate, I think it always changes you for the better and everyone experiences something different that no one else ever will!...just out of curiosity, what was it about vietnam that u didnt like?

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 3rd, '07, 10:22

ktnew wrote:wow you trip sounds amaazing!!! IM totally jealous!...im dying to do something like that when I graduate, I think it always changes you for the better and everyone experiences something different that no one else ever will!...just out of curiosity, what was it about vietnam that u didnt like?
well the traffic for one thing. the is no such thing as zebra crossings with a green man, and if there was, no one pays attention. there are no bridges to cross over from one side of the street to the other. still, if no vietnamese person walks, why bother with a bridge.
the traffic is amazing and you'd drop your jaw if you just see the amount of motorbikes on the road. words cannot express till you see the video clips. basically, you wont believe me if you're a white naive man, but if you're a british asian, you'd believe me.
cars and mototbikes have priority over pedestrians and if you cross an open driveway, the car turning in or coming out will not stop and would rather run you down than stop and wait for you.Also if you cross a road and cause an accident, it's your fault. they also dont like to bargin with a foreigner cos if you wont buy it, some other mug will. the walking off tactic wont work here, unless its about a motorcyle taxi fare.

but i guess all citys have their traffic. vietnam is fine once you get outside in the countryside. Sapa in N.Vietnam is amazing. friendly tribe girls wearing their colourful clothing speak with pefect english greet you with hello and do you need hotel. these girls are not camera shy.

but please, dont take my word for it. i dont want to try and give you negitive attitues and bad points. see for yourself.

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Sep 3rd, '07, 16:07

wujou_mao wrote: i was quite naive when i started, didnt know much about culture or reglion. and thought everyone would behave the same way as they do in England and not be so conserative about matters. started my travels in australia, but that was easy as its all English spoken there, very laid back people [its the weather].

ur travels sound soo interesting. d'you write a journal or something to record everything uve done?
haha i LOVE nasi lemak...its so tasty, but then my parents are malaysian so ive grown up loving malay food.
btw, wot is bi bim bab? im not very knowledable when it comes to korean food. i only know kimchii and jjangmyun...is it very spicy?
lol really? i dont think id ever be trying dog soup then!

korea's ur fav country? that makes me wanna go there even more! wot was it about the country that made u so fond of it? (apart from food?)
sorry bout the bombarding of questions..lol im just so curious.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 4th, '07, 10:15

funkindagirl wrote:korea's ur fav country? that makes me wanna go there even more! wot was it about the country that made u so fond of it? (apart from food?)
sorry bout the bombarding of questions..lol im just so curious.
spent so long tying that, the site logged me out. can i be bothered to type it again. :whistling:
just came back from Kuala Selengor today. had some different Malay food. some i hadn't eaten before. plate was very full as lots to choose from.
why do i love Korea? many factors really. the guide books at the information counters were well informed. lots in English [thank the americans for that]. Korean is also easy to copy down on paper if your pronouncation is off-key. [Chinese is very hard, too many lines and you just get puzzled looks. many times I'd look through a Chinese or Japanese leaflet and see something that's not in an English book for instance the jewel in the palace theme park on Jedu island. I'd write it all down and they would understand. i even had this Korean bus driver go further than normal to drop me off, and tell me in Korean and English, the temple i wish to see is down here and gave me directions. he then just reversed and left. i was happy and chuffed.
i had kids swarm around me like fireflies, asking questions like my name and where do i come from. soon as i said England, they were very excited. i then had to repeat their names which they told me. one question was how long had i been in Korea and i said 3 hours. they were surprised. but i didn't go to Korea to teach. i went as a tourist [besides, they only want to learn american English not real English]
for bibimbap, i wont give a link, but go to wiki and search. they have a lovely picture on the site.

maybe all this should go in the travel section? :unsure:

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Sep 4th, '07, 21:59

wujou_mao wrote:
ktnew wrote:wow you trip sounds amaazing!!! IM totally jealous!...im dying to do something like that when I graduate, I think it always changes you for the better and everyone experiences something different that no one else ever will!...just out of curiosity, what was it about vietnam that u didnt like?
well the traffic for one thing. the is no such thing as zebra crossings with a green man, and if there was, no one pays attention. there are no bridges to cross over from one side of the street to the other. still, if no vietnamese person walks, why bother with a bridge.
the traffic is amazing and you'd drop your jaw if you just see the amount of motorbikes on the road. words cannot express till you see the video clips. basically, you wont believe me if you're a white naive man, but if you're a british asian, you'd believe me.
cars and mototbikes have priority over pedestrians and if you cross an open driveway, the car turning in or coming out will not stop and would rather run you down than stop and wait for you.Also if you cross a road and cause an accident, it's your fault. they also dont like to bargin with a foreigner cos if you wont buy it, some other mug will. the walking off tactic wont work here, unless its about a motorcyle taxi fare.

but i guess all citys have their traffic. vietnam is fine once you get outside in the countryside. Sapa in N.Vietnam is amazing. friendly tribe girls wearing their colourful clothing speak with pefect english greet you with hello and do you need hotel. these girls are not camera shy.

but please, dont take my word for it. i dont want to try and give you negitive attitues and bad points. see for yourself.

lol that reminds me so much of how i felt in beijing!! I thought the trafdic was crazy and i would cross on a green man and find the bicycles were also crossing and theyd not care and just come at u at like 50mph....I learnt a very useful technique ...i chose the biggest guy int he group and would hide behind him only crossing when he did lol...i called him my human sheild....a month or so in and i was crossing the road easily...lol

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 5th, '07, 10:20

ktnew wrote:lol that reminds me so much of how i felt in beijing!! I thought the trafdic was crazy and i would cross on a green man and find the bicycles were also crossing and theyd not care and just come at u at like 50mph....I learnt a very useful technique ...i chose the biggest guy int he group and would hide behind him only crossing when he did lol...i called him my human sheild....a month or so in and i was crossing the road easily...lol
yes, it was the only way to cross the road. cross with the lacals. but there are a few times i would say 'i'm not in a rush to cross the road' and stay put.
the vietnamese really cant understand why its so hard for us to cross the road. and its pointless trying to explain to them. they wont understand.
did you find in China, that the chinese will always bump into you, no matter how wide the pavement was and only you and him/her on it. i just couldnt understand it. i'd move over to the side next to a lamp post to let them past, and they would ;jump' in the little gap rather than walk round. i was making some strange faces cos i couldnt believe it. but it happened in vietnam too, crossing the road from a roundabout, and just about a foot from the edge of the pavement to go, when a motorbike comes round the corner and takes the inside lane with inches to spare. is it that hard not to go round me with space gallore? :unsure:

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Sep 5th, '07, 17:34

wujou_mao wrote: spent so long tying that, the site logged me out. can i be bothered to type it again. :whistling:
just came back from Kuala Selengor today. had some different Malay food. some i hadn't eaten before. plate was very full as lots to choose from.
why do i love Korea? many factors really. the guide books at the information counters were well informed. lots in English [thank the americans for that]. Korean is also easy to copy down on paper if your pronouncation is off-key. [Chinese is very hard, too many lines and you just get puzzled looks. many times I'd look through a Chinese or Japanese leaflet and see something that's not in an English book for instance the jewel in the palace theme park on Jedu island. I'd write it all down and they would understand. i even had this Korean bus driver go further than normal to drop me off, and tell me in Korean and English, the temple i wish to see is down here and gave me directions. he then just reversed and left. i was happy and chuffed.
i had kids swarm around me like fireflies, asking questions like my name and where do i come from. soon as i said England, they were very excited. i then had to repeat their names which they told me. one question was how long had i been in Korea and i said 3 hours. they were surprised. but i didn't go to Korea to teach. i went as a tourist [besides, they only want to learn american English not real English]
for bibimbap, i wont give a link, but go to wiki and search. they have a lovely picture on the site.

wow i am surprised by that....altho i know s. korea is very american influenced whenever i watch korean shows they all seem quite bad at english! lol

aw..haha sounds cute. so there arent many foreigners in korea judging by the kids excitement?

oo i looked it up. it does look very tasty..but the chilli paste just puts me off.i just knew it was gona be hot :lol

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 6th, '07, 09:49

funkindagirl wrote:
wujou_mao wrote: spent so long tying that, the site logged me out. can i be bothered to type it again. :whistling:

wow i am surprised by that....altho i know s. korea is very american influenced whenever i watch korean shows they all seem quite bad at english! lol

aw..haha sounds cute. so there arent many foreigners in korea judging by the kids excitement?

oo i looked it up. it does look very tasty..but the chilli paste just puts me off.i just knew it was gona be hot :lol
but i thought you eat Malay food? some of that has a bit of a kick to it will the spice. of course, you dont have to add the chilli paste to it. just add it to taste.
as for foreigners in Korea, there are tons of them. there is even one tube station which sounds so much like '81' in English. it was the only place too which the same brand of ATM machines would only work for international cards for 'Cirrus/Maestro'. i had a quick pop up there on ground level and hated it as soon as i got up top. it was almost like transporting to London or New york. so i went back down and went 'back to Korea'
i did however tend to trail off the tourist trail and i never saw another living white guy when i went temple hunting etc. but that's the way it should be. i always had lots of people mainly friendly girls ask lots of questions about myself and why i'm doing here. to practice English i guess. also the high level of respect is very noticeable and anyone would give up their seat for an elderly person. why cant this happen in England rather than getting laughed at. i stood up most of the time on the transport. i felt i didn't belong sitting down.
another thing which blew my away was the respect the kids have against you. i was walking down the middle of the road in some back street alley, and a 6 or 7 year old Korean boy came out of a sweet-shop, stopped in the middle of the road, bowed really low and said Annyeonghaseyo. i stood there open mouthed and said hello back. but its mainly the modern kids that say hello. the older generation tend not to say any hing. i don't know if its cos they don't like us, or think i'm american, or don't speak English, but i always said hello to them with a bow and a smile.
i'd give anything to go back there, and like to see a different season, like winter or autumn with the leaves turning brown etc.

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Sep 7th, '07, 16:10

wujou_mao wrote: but i thought you eat Malay food? some of that has a bit of a kick to it will the spice. of course, you dont have to add the chilli paste to it. just add it to taste.
as for foreigners in Korea, there are tons of them. there is even one tube station which sounds so much like '81' in English. it was the only place too which the same brand of ATM machines would only work for international cards for 'Cirrus/Maestro'. i had a quick pop up there on ground level and hated it as soon as i got up top. it was almost like transporting to London or New york. so i went back down and went 'back to Korea'
i did however tend to trail off the tourist trail and i never saw another living white guy when i went temple hunting etc. but that's the way it should be. i always had lots of people mainly friendly girls ask lots of questions about myself and why i'm doing here. to practice English i guess. also the high level of respect is very noticeable and anyone would give up their seat for an elderly person. why cant this happen in England rather than getting laughed at. i stood up most of the time on the transport. i felt i didn't belong sitting down.
another thing which blew my away was the respect the kids have against you. i was walking down the middle of the road in some back street alley, and a 6 or 7 year old Korean boy came out of a sweet-shop, stopped in the middle of the road, bowed really low and said Annyeonghaseyo. i stood there open mouthed and said hello back. but its mainly the modern kids that say hello. the older generation tend not to say any hing. i don't know if its cos they don't like us, or think i'm american, or don't speak English, but i always said hello to them with a bow and a smile.
i'd give anything to go back there, and like to see a different season, like winter or autumn with the leaves turning brown etc.
wow omgosh...a kid bowed to u?? thats so sweet!
if a kid did that here, woah id be in shock the entire day.
its like first hand experience hearing u talk about korea, seriously it makes me want to go there even more! it sounds fantastic.
yeh ive noticed generally in asian countries they're brought up better to respect elders and stuff, here there's practically no bowing but in a country like korea its considered normal and polite. i like that difference.

haha yeh i eat malay food, but i mostly get stuff thats not hot, i can do spicy but not throat burning stuff. lol
if im in malaysia il sometimes ask them not to put in too much chilli

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 10th, '07, 16:55

what korean drams have you seen Funkindagirl? which is your fav?