Discuss Korean drama series here.
Suzumi

Capital Scandal (KBS, 2007)

Post by Suzumi » Aug 15th, '07, 02:46

Title: 경성스캔들 / Capital Scandal
Also known as: Scandal in the Capital / Scandal in Old Seoul / Modern Romance
Episodes: 16
Genre: Fusion drama, Romance

Based on the novel “Sad Story of the Capital (경성애사, 京城哀史)” by Lee Sun Mi (이선미), the same author as Coffee Prince, this drama portrays a love story during the 1930s during the independence movement.

Na Yu Kyung (Han Ji Min) is a book store owner and a lobbyist, as she is a purist of Korean culture. Sun Woo Wan (Kang Ji Hwan), the youngest son of a rich and famous family, is involved in the independence movement with his magazine that records scandals and spreads lewd content to the public. Yu Kyung and Woo Wan meet under strange circumstances, which sets both of them under disagreeable terms with one another. Lee Soo Hyun (Ryu Jin) is a Josenjing who rises amongst the ranks of the government; his connection with Woo Wan goes way back into the past as childhood friends. Then there's Cha Song Joo (Han Go Eun), a famous courtesan of the time who is acquainted with Woo Wan and secretly admires Soo Hyun. Through scandal, bets, and mere coincidences, the four become entangled in a great development of romance and suspense.

Links:
DramaWiki
Official Website
Subtitle Thread
--
Personally, I find this drama to be one of the best I've watched. It is beyond amusing and colorful yet it still manages to hold a serious touch to it at the same time. :D
Last edited by Suzumi on Sep 8th, '07, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

aaadramavr

Post by aaadramavr » Aug 16th, '07, 04:36

I also started watching it on TV as Scandal on Old Soeul. I know that it edited to fit in more commercials. I find it interesting so far and I like Han Go Eun who was in More Beautiful than a Flower and Lawyers. Also Ryu Jin from Oh Pil-Seung and Realy Really Like You. I saw two eps so far but I will probably see a couple more to to know if I want to download the full eps. I know WITHS2 is subbing this and the always do a great job.

arabian

Post by arabian » Aug 16th, '07, 08:22

I'm currently watching the drama & next week will be the end on KBS World.. really good drama..I love Maja & wan..they look so good as a couple.. :mrgreen:

folie a deux

Post by folie a deux » Aug 17th, '07, 00:10

I'm glad we all share the same sentiment :D ...I really enjoy watching this series, it's one-of-a-kind :D the plot is really great, the actors have good chemistry to one another, and it deviates from the usual "love triangle" storyline...there's a good mix of romance, comedy and action, and a little bit of history :D I love its comic mood that contrasts the drama's gloomy setting :thumleft: ...Unfortunately the show's underrated in Korea... :-( I just hope to get more nice reviews to this one :-)

aaadramavr

Post by aaadramavr » Aug 17th, '07, 05:45

OK...I have been drawn in with the completion of ep 4. Started downloading eps 1-4 and wil rewatch. I like Kang Ji Hwan also (saw him in BSGS with no subs ha ha). The story has started to become very intriguing as nothing is as it seems on the surface and there were some surprising developments. the mean police officer reminds me of the very mean one in Seoul 1945. they both seem to be unnecessarily violent to the poor people.

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Aug 19th, '07, 02:44

I'm currently watching this drama and I like it alot so far, at ep 4. I really like Han Jimin in her role as a pious independence fighter.

The show is a romcom but has its underlying elements of drama and political intrigue. And everything seems so well produced. The sets are splendid.

Since I suck at reviews and because caps can be informative, I'll post a few up:
Last edited by Ssang on Aug 23rd, '07, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Aug 20th, '07, 06:08

I'm on episode 6 now.

Sometimes this show reminds me of an anime considering its romcom elements between various characters and something about the cinematography and screenplay when the show is trying to be funny.

What's interesting about the show is that it's like a small bubble of romance-comedy floating around inside of a larger bubble of suspense and danger. The latter part feels just as genuine as the lighter elements of the show. Thus, there's a dual push pushing the story and it's almost stratisphied (?) but the effect isn't jarring at all, imo.

One thng I'd criticize this show for is that although I find this show humurous (when it's being humurous), sometimes I start to think the comic timing is slightly off. Ever get that feeling? Also, Kang Ji Hwan overacts a bit. But these weaknesses are shooed away quickly by the other elements of the show. I like the instrumental score a lot.

^ I also dig fedoras and hanbok a lot, apparently. Kekeke.
Last edited by Ssang on Aug 23rd, '07, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

Sasaya

Post by Sasaya » Aug 20th, '07, 21:30

I usually lurk around the forums, but I felt it was an appropriate time for me to create an account just to post to this certain thread. It pleases me that there are other people who watch this series. I honestly feel that Capital Scandal is heavily underrated show. It's rejected a lot that I've learned to expect from a Korean drama, and it just feels new to me. I actually love all of the characters, and that, in my case, is a very rare thing when it comes to dramas. The show also knows how to throw me off, and I love that the most. There aren't unbelievable cliffhangers, but I seem to eat up every word that comes out of a character's mouth and then find that those words aren't the truth at all. Sure, it's not masterpiece. There are some predictable moments at times, but I was purely shocked from some of the plot twists.

Ssang, you chose some of the best images to put up. Episode 6 was a great one. It seems that anyone I talk to about the series has an affinity for fedoras. Ha! I'd like to hear more about what you have to say about the timing of the comedic moments. I'm not sure if I caught those myself.

I watched some of Coffee Prince before I started on this series, and I felt that Coffee Prince was one of the strongest shows this summer. However, after starting Capital Scandal, my opinions have changed. Out of all the Korean dramas I've watched, Capital Scandal is definitely topping off my list of favorites because of the time period, characters, and storyline. It's definitely more tolerable than the things I've seen, and it disappoints me that not many people have looked into this series at all.

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Aug 21st, '07, 00:12

^ I like fedoras for some reason. A lot. I don't know why. :)

I've seen ep 8 now which ended on a cliffhanger. Ep 7 was hillarious. If you've ever played Street Fighter 2, you'd know why. Plus, I really enjoyed this scene..
ps: I only caught this show because of this thread. I wouldn't have watched it otherwise. Also, if you're looking for a good K show, I recommend 9 End 2 Outs, which I'm enjoying the most of the 4 shows I'm currently watching. Also, if you haven't seen Soulmate, I think you'd like that show too.

Sasaya

Post by Sasaya » Aug 21st, '07, 00:46

I can't say that I've played Street Fighter 2 before, so can you tell me why it's hilarious? I know the joke's never that good when it has to be explained. Aw, I hope you keep posting more pictures. I'm obviously too lazy to go back and post up images. That scene's one of my favorites.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into them after I move.

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Aug 21st, '07, 01:05

It's brief but difficult to miss if you're a fan of the video game. Toward the end of the fight scene in ep 7, Kang Ji Hwan's character does a fancy uppercut move. But when he does, he shouts "shoryuken!" which is the sound Ryu and Ken make whenever they execute that same move. :lol

See this clip:

I'm glad you like the caps.

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 21st, '07, 01:11

Yeah, I think Capital Scandal started airing two weeks ago on KBS World, after Mawang. I caught the first 2 episodes, and then missed out on Episodes 3+4. It looks good so far, and I loved the swing number in the first epi. I kinda wish SBS was producing this though, this is more in line with the kind of recreational stuff they're good at. Time of Dog and Wolf is coming up soon on MBC at the same timeslot, so I'm not sure whether I'm going to commit to this show yet. Is Time of Dog and Wolf that good?

As it turns out, the novelist who wrote Capital Scandal wrote -- you guessed it -- the Coffee Prince.

Sasaya

Post by Sasaya » Aug 21st, '07, 01:21

Ssang, I see now! I only got to play the Street Fighters games whenever I went over to someone else's house, so I never did get too familiar with them. Thanks for explaining all that.

belleza, I haven't seen Time of Dog and Wolf, but a few of my friends have said they liked it, although I don't know any specifics. Oh, and I do know that the novelist was the same. I'm the original poster's sister. Suzumi always knows to research her stuff before she starts watching something, but I guess she forgot to mention that in the first post.

:)

Jesette

Post by Jesette » Aug 22nd, '07, 07:04

I am watching this series right now, with a very bad english sub. But, who cares, so long as I understand what going on in every scene. This is so good, something different from the rest. Kang Ji Wan Han Ji Min is an unlikely couple, but the screen brighthens everytime they are there. Hey KJW is getting more good looking every series...ha!

elden41

Post by elden41 » Aug 22nd, '07, 07:33

Jesette wrote:I am watching this series right now, with a very bad english sub. But, who cares, so long as I understand what going on in every scene. This is so good, something different from the rest. Kang Ji Wan Han Ji Min is an unlikely couple, but the screen brighthens everytime they are there. Hey KJW is getting more good looking every series...ha!
Where are you getting the subs? They must not have been done by WITH S2, who consistenly deliver excellent subs.

arabian

Post by arabian » Aug 22nd, '07, 13:19

belleza wrote: Is Time of Dog and Wolf that good?
The best so far .. give it a chance & u'll love it.. 8)

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Aug 22nd, '07, 18:02

elden41 wrote:
Jesette wrote:I am watching this series right now, with a very bad english sub. But, who cares, so long as I understand what going on in every scene. This is so good, something different from the rest. Kang Ji Wan Han Ji Min is an unlikely couple, but the screen brighthens everytime they are there. Hey KJW is getting more good looking every series...ha!
Where are you getting the subs? They must not have been done by WITH S2, who consistenly deliver excellent subs.
I agree. The translators et al have done an admirable job for the subs for this series. Then again, I have a feeling Jesette is referring to the timing, in which case I think she's viewing the show with different rips than the ones the subs were made for. (Most of the subs are timed to sync with the "Ental" rips.)

Anyway, I'm on ep 11.

Kimonos are pretty!
Other caps

folie a deux

Post by folie a deux » Aug 23rd, '07, 02:49

to Jesette, you can go to veoh.com/channels/scandalinthecapital to watch it with good and properly-timed subtitles. :-) from the last time I've viewed it, they have uploaded 13 eps. already.

cjgohan2003

Post by cjgohan2003 » Aug 25th, '07, 08:19

I finished ep 13 a couple weeks and I must say, this is really, one of the best kdramas I've seen. The cinemetagrophy looks so glossy and crisp, and the camera angles give the very cinematic feel to it. My favorite element of it all is that it manages to blend the theme of historical dramas with modern, contemporary romance-comedy AND a suspenseful storyline without being overwhelming.

oh and btw can i just say EP 06 had one of the best cliffhangers EVER
That part where Jo maja was shot in the arm OMG that was intense

arabian

Post by arabian » Aug 25th, '07, 19:59

I finished the drama a few days ago on KBS world.. :-)
It was really sad to see songji get killed in front of the leader.. & when san woneu was crying harldy as he saying he lose another dear after his brother & what he did in the memoir party was great & also trying to protect Jo Maja.. The ending was nice to Wan & Maja but not for Songju..

tha1

you totally took the words out of my mouth!!!

Post by tha1 » Aug 27th, '07, 04:28

Sasaya wrote:I usually lurk around the forums, but I felt it was an appropriate time for me to create an account just to post to this certain thread. It pleases me that there are other people who watch this series. I honestly feel that Capital Scandal is heavily underrated show. It's rejected a lot that I've learned to expect from a Korean drama, and it just feels new to me. I actually love all of the characters, and that, in my case, is a very rare thing when it comes to dramas. The show also knows how to throw me off, and I love that the most. There aren't unbelievable cliffhangers, but I seem to eat up every word that comes out of a character's mouth and then find that those words aren't the truth at all. Sure, it's not masterpiece. There are some predictable moments at times, but I was purely shocked from some of the plot twists.

Ssang, you chose some of the best images to put up. Episode 6 was a great one. It seems that anyone I talk to about the series has an affinity for fedoras. Ha! I'd like to hear more about what you have to say about the timing of the comedic moments. I'm not sure if I caught those myself.

I watched some of Coffee Prince before I started on this series, and I felt that Coffee Prince was one of the strongest shows this summer. However, after starting Capital Scandal, my opinions have changed. Out of all the Korean dramas I've watched, Capital Scandal is definitely topping off my list of favorites because of the time period, characters, and storyline. It's definitely more tolerable than the things I've seen, and it disappoints me that not many people have looked into this series at all.

tha1

Post by tha1 » Aug 27th, '07, 04:31

I love love this drama...more than money's warfare, more than coffee prince, more than bad couple and I haven't even finish this yet. I'm still waiting for subs to episodes 14-16. Where are y'all watching them?

ohoud

Post by ohoud » Aug 27th, '07, 14:28

tha1 wrote:I love love this drama...more than money's warfare, more than coffee prince, more than bad couple and I haven't even finish this yet. I'm still waiting for subs to episodes 14-16. Where are y'all watching them?

I love this Drama too, I've downloaded all th episodes and I'm waiting for the subtitles too..
OMG!! I love everything in this Drama, The only thing that I hate is that Fat detective, he's horrible I can't stand him :crazy: , I really wish that he dies in the next episodes :whistling: ..

thtlam

Post by thtlam » Aug 30th, '07, 03:45

ohoud wrote:
tha1 wrote:I love love this drama...more than money's warfare, more than coffee prince, more than bad couple and I haven't even finish this yet. I'm still waiting for subs to episodes 14-16. Where are y'all watching them?

I love this Drama too, I've downloaded all th episodes and I'm waiting for the subtitles too..
OMG!! I love everything in this Drama, The only thing that I hate is that Fat detective, he's horrible I can't stand him :crazy: , I really wish that he dies in the next episodes :whistling: ..
at tha1 - same here I love this drama probably one of my top three if I had to pick....now I'm just patiently waiting for the rest of the subs even though I know what's going to happen in the end :D

at ohoud - I know he's the only character I dislike in this drama...even his face is ugly and the way he's always moving his mouth pisses me off

ohoud

Post by ohoud » Aug 30th, '07, 04:41

thtlam wrote:
ohoud wrote:

at tha1 - same here I love this drama probably one of my top three if I had to pick....now I'm just patiently waiting for the rest of the subs even though I know what's going to happen in the end :D

at ohoud - I know he's the only character I dislike in this drama...even his face is ugly and the way he's always moving his mouth pisses me off

You too?? I really hate the sounds he makes with his mouth, it makes me feel SoOo irritated :goggle: . He's such a big coward hitting women and young boys instead of big dudes like himself :cussing: ..

funkindagirl

Post by funkindagirl » Aug 30th, '07, 11:24

wow a lot of people seem to really like this drama and it looks very different. im gona give it a try :-)

tha1

if you both hated that guy so much, he must be a good actor

Post by tha1 » Aug 31st, '07, 14:34

ohoud wrote:
thtlam wrote:
ohoud wrote:

You too?? I really hate the sounds he makes with his mouth, it makes me feel SoOo irritated :goggle: . He's such a big coward hitting women and young boys instead of big dudes like himself :cussing: ..
:D

mohito

Post by mohito » Aug 31st, '07, 15:03

I storngly agree that this is one of THE MUST SEE series, so hilarious, touching, different, & fun to watch series. there's lots of touching scripts, such as'..despite of that we must live on.." ..
it's definitely my one of top 3 of 2007 !!!

tha1

Post by tha1 » Sep 1st, '07, 02:06

mohito wrote:I storngly agree that this is one of THE MUST SEE series, so hilarious, touching, different, & fun to watch series. there's lots of touching scripts, such as'..despite of that we must live on.." ..
it's definitely my one of top 3 of 2007 !!!
so what are your top three?

Sasaya

Post by Sasaya » Sep 1st, '07, 14:44

If anyone's still skeptical as to why they should watch this series, read this. It's an old post, but it's never too late to reel in more people to watch, right?

cantiara

Post by cantiara » Sep 3rd, '07, 12:28

The love stories in this drama just makes me sway. You have the cute main couple and the charismatic couple. Sweet love and tragic love. Moreover the drama just gave me a new perspective concerning Korean history during the Japanese occupation.

ohoud

Post by ohoud » Sep 3rd, '07, 20:32

I LOVE this Drama :w00t: , it's one of the best that I have seen :thumleft: . Though I hate the lead actor :glare: but I fell head over heels in love with the second male lead Lee Su Hyun the Policeman :wub: . I love his character..

I love the lead man's father too, he's very understanding for his son's decisions, this drama gave me a view and a whole lot of things that I haven't known about Korea before the independence..
I really liked Miss. Cha Song Joo, she was very good and her personality is awesome :thumleft: ..

And I loved the second couple, each time I look at them It hurts my heart :cry: ..

This drama is full of unexpected twists, Great Drama :cheers: ..

folie a deux

Post by folie a deux » Sep 5th, '07, 07:07

apparently not everyone seem to get crazy over this show the way it was for Coffee Prince..In our place the series is finished, and I never regretted staying late watching this because it's worth it. :thumleft:
Although Wan and Yeogyeong are the lead characters, I like the secondary leads more...It's because of their character in the story, and the way they were portrayed...Finally, Han Go Eun have found a role that suits her very well, and so is Ryu Jin, because I always see him being the "third party" in the love affairs of the main characters (e.g. Summer Scent, Really Really Like You). This time, although he played secondary he had his own love affair--and it's requited.
It’s been over for a week but I still can’t get over with it…

tha1

Post by tha1 » Sep 5th, '07, 23:01

so I just finished this series last night and with every word...Its the BEST serie of 2007!!! The story, the cast, the soudtrack are all original. I would not be surprise one bit if Kang Ji Hwan starts to make HUGE waves in the Asian market. He definitely will win best actor for His role as Sun Woo Wan. Overall the CAST is really brilliant! I absolutely LOVE this serie! I hated that it ended with only 16 episodes. I would love to see a sequel....

ohoud

Post by ohoud » Sep 6th, '07, 01:02

tha1 wrote:so I just finished this series last night and with every word...Its the BEST serie of 2007!!! The story, the cast, the soudtrack are all original. I would not be surprise one bit if Kang Ji Hwan starts to make HUGE waves in the Asian market. He definitely will win best actor for His role as Sun Woo Wan. Overall the CAST is really brilliant! I absolutely LOVE this serie! I hated that it ended with only 16 episodes. I would love to see a sequel....

I would like a sequel with a new generation, You know after 10 or 20 years when the actual independance took place after World War 2..

tha1

Post by tha1 » Sep 7th, '07, 03:48

ohoud wrote:
tha1 wrote:so I just finished this series last night and with every word...Its the BEST serie of 2007!!! The story, the cast, the soudtrack are all original. I would not be surprise one bit if Kang Ji Hwan starts to make HUGE waves in the Asian market. He definitely will win best actor for His role as Sun Woo Wan. Overall the CAST is really brilliant! I absolutely LOVE this serie! I hated that it ended with only 16 episodes. I would love to see a sequel....

I would like a sequel with a new generation, You know after 10 or 20 years when the actual independance took place after World War 2..
:cheers: YES!!! Are you are Kdrama writer? That would be a good continuation!!! Who can we pass this on to make it happen? :scratch:

ohoud

Post by ohoud » Sep 7th, '07, 04:00

tha1 wrote:
ohoud wrote:

:cheers: YES!!! Are you are Kdrama writer? That would be a good continuation!!! Who can we pass this on to make it happen? :scratch:

I don't really know if they will make such a sequel, But I think it would be something interesting to watch if it was as the same level of this Drama without spoiling it with some of the typical K-Drama stuff..

tha1

Post by tha1 » Sep 7th, '07, 04:08

ohoud wrote:
tha1 wrote:
ohoud wrote:

I don't really know if they will make such a sequel, But I think it would be something interesting to watch if it was as the same level of this Drama without spoiling it with some of the typical K-Drama stuff..
Agreed....This one for sure was NOT a typical kdrama stuff...What ever comes after this one will have huge shoes to fill....I don't know if anything's going to measure up?!?!

ohoud

Post by ohoud » Sep 7th, '07, 04:24

tha1 wrote:
ohoud wrote:
tha1 wrote:

Agreed....This one for sure was NOT a typical kdrama stuff...What ever comes after this one will have huge shoes to fill....I don't know if anything's going to measure up?!?!
You're right, I've finished Coffe Prince a couple of days ago, It was rather fine but I guess I can't look to K-Dramas with the same eye any more. I mean as long as they're capable of making this Drama I have to raise the up my standards now :roll ..

And I read that it was the same writer for both Dramas :O ..

tha1

Post by tha1 » Sep 11th, '07, 03:01

ohoud wrote:
tha1 wrote:
ohoud wrote:

You're right, I've finished Coffe Prince a couple of days ago, It was rather fine but I guess I can't look to K-Dramas with the same eye any more. I mean as long as they're capable of making this Drama I have to raise the up my standards now :roll ..

And I read that it was the same writer for both Dramas :O ..
Same writer but the stories are soooo different...I don't know if I cared for Coffee Prince that much...But I'm totally buying Capital Scandal!!!

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Sep 17th, '07, 12:31

When I saw that Han Ji Min was starring (and Han Go Eun too), I was all over it, but after the first ep, nope, didn't work for me. Seemed silly, and the massive coincidences which are prevalent in all kdramas just annoyed me this time.

thislove

Post by thislove » Sep 19th, '07, 04:57

^ maybe you should continue watching a few more eps. cuz it's like one of the best fusion drama out there. I really loved it and HJM & KJH chemistry was perfect. :D

miyukigrg

Post by miyukigrg » Sep 26th, '07, 06:59

well the 1st 2 esp were very funny .then it just keeps on getting better & better.well its a good k-drama.it's a must mee kdrama.
Last edited by miyukigrg on May 11th, '08, 15:35, edited 2 times in total.

bwitched

Post by bwitched » Oct 11th, '07, 12:51

this is the best drama I've ever watch soo far. Far better than coffee price who were the rival at that time. People have to watch it and not just evaluate it based on the firt episodes!!!

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 1st, '08, 00:42

Congratulations to Capital Scandal for cleaning house at the KBS Awards. I think it was the most awarded KBS non-daily show of the year . . .

Excellence in a Mini-Drama Male -- Kang Ji Hwan

Excellence in a Mini-Drama Female -- Han Ji Min

Best Supporting Actress -- Han Go Eun

Best Couple (one of) -- Kang Ji Hwan, Han Ji Min

Netizen Most Popular -- Han Ji Min

(Seriously, how good is to be Han Ji Min when you clean house on TWO stations in the same year?)

arabian

Post by arabian » Jan 1st, '08, 07:33

(Seriously, how good is to be Han Ji Min when you clean house on TWO stations in the same year?)
I seems this year was her year, CS get a lot of awards on KBS Drama Awards I was really dissapointed cuz Dalja Spring is much better & they didn't get much awards as CS, I was happy for Chae Rim but Lee Minki also did a nice acting in Dalja Spring but he didn't recoginse by any awards, I think KBS Drama Awards this year not as much good as last year I prefer MBC & need to check for SBS how was the award yesterday, Hopefully WOM get recognised..But the best part in KBS drama Award was seeing Tei singing :wub: :mrgreen:

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 1st, '08, 11:43

Yeah, unlike the SBS and MBC awards, KBS doesn't award multiple winners for most of the categories. Most of the trendy dramas were completely locked out. Dal Ja was KBS's only real trendy hit all year, but all the same I was really happy that Capital Scandal was recognized so well.

And I was really happy to see Chae Rim just so moved after winning her award. This was, after all, her comeback role. Also a nice moment with Park Hae Jin (looking a bit like BYJ in his 20s) so endearingly shocked at winning his award. I loved him in By Land and Sky, and I saw a little bit of his work in Chili Sisters. He's the next Hyung Bin.

Also it was really nice to see Go Eun so moved by her win too. I don't think the much maligned Han Go Eun's ever been recognized for her acting before, and her award was really earned here. BTW, did you guys know that Go Eun's American name is Shauna? Random!
SBS how was the award yesterday, Hopefully WOM get recognised..
WOM did about as well as The Legend did on MBC's show (which is very well.) Park Shin-yang, with Kim Hee-ae (of My Man's Woman), won the Daesang. BTW, Kim Hee-ae is just MAGNIFICENT in My Man's Woman; I can see why MMW's screenwriter is so highly regarded by both studio heads and actors.

It's going to be interesting how the Baeksang Awards (i.e. the "real" awards show) play out. WOM was the clear ratings winner of the season (and Baeksang airs on SBS *cough*), but The Legend will probably see momentum having by then finished its run in Japan and Taiwan.

veracious

Post by veracious » Jan 4th, '08, 10:52

Best kdrama of 2007 for me. I loved CP don't get me wrong -- but Capital Scandal was something else entirely.

Didn't drag a bit, excellent acting, amazing plot, hilarious comedy, perfect romance, heart-breaking in just the right places. Loved it.

Han Go-eun deserves an award for this performance, absolutely.

JlovesVan

yeah!

Post by JlovesVan » Jan 4th, '08, 20:35

Finally got around to watching this drama. I don't know why I had been putting it off, probably just because it was so different from the usual dramas I watch (which turns out to be a great thing!) I love this drama, one of the best I have seen! I am 4 episodes away from finishing it and could barely stop watching to go to sleep LOL

This drama has a beautiful set, incredibly vibrant costumes and a charismatic cast. The humor, I believe, is well placed as is the romance around a very raw time in Korean history. The thing that really catches my eye however, is the almost theatrical lighting and staging of the scenes. It reminds me of some of Tennessee Williams plays that I have seen. It feels like it could transfer onto a stage seamlessly. Wan just really stole my heart as well. He has the handsome face of that time period and wears those zuit suits all too well :) I am so glad this got the recognition it deserved. I loved Coffee Prince too but this......no words for it!

belleza

Post by belleza » Jan 4th, '08, 21:41

I'm on the cusp of giving this drama to my mum (or Seoul 1945.) She'll take interest in its evocation of the Japanese occupation and the zoot suit riot bits, but I'm not sure how she'll take to the rom-com bits.
It reminds me of some of Tennessee Williams plays that I have seen.
Yeah, Han Go Eun and Ryu Jin could definitely play a classic sultry Southern thing and a gentleman with a dark, sad past. Kwan Ji Hwan started out in musical theatre, and I really feel he felt the most at ease with the stage-y style of the production. He acted big and played to the 4th wall, but he also acted with ease at the tone shifts.

I didn't like Han Ji Min in this role, though. She seemed a bit lost in the fusion concept, and I've never really cared for her comedic or lighter work. (Alternately, she's absolutely WONDERFUL as a straightforward dramatic acstress.)

The show itself -- especially the last 2 episodes (which are radically great and easily my favorite epis) -- played up the hot blooded revolutionary stuff pretty well. It felt a little bit like watching Butch Dance and Sunset Kid, and it's really, really nice to see Ryu Jin get to let loose a bit.

JlovesVan

wow!

Post by JlovesVan » Jan 5th, '08, 05:43

Just finished the last 4 episodes and all I can say is wow!!! The last two episodes are definitely the strongest, I had an adrenaline rush in the last one. I am often disappointed with how K-dramas end and this one was perfect, loved every second of it!! If you are hesitating watching this I highly recommend it!

leenzy

Post by leenzy » Mar 19th, '08, 13:34

OMG!!!...i just watched 1st episode of Capital Scandal..Kang Ji Hwan :heart: :heart: :heart: was GREAT :wub: :wub: :wub: !!!....it's worth to download/ buy and watching it fun!!!!Thanks 4 all who provide this drama :salut: :salut: salut: :salut: ...yatta!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jul 14th, '08, 19:40

The first two episodes were such fun, but now I'm on episode 8 and I got tired of the Woo Wan-Ma Ja couple a long time ago. It has a great story that lots of times has me gripping the edge of my seat, with the assassinations and all that good stuff, but the love story bores me to tears. It's just too cliche, too frustrating. :grumble:

Thank god Kang Ji Hwan stopped overacting though. I was about to shoot myself. :crazy:

belleza

Post by belleza » Jul 14th, '08, 21:37

Oh, Ji Hwan's broad performance is part of the fun of Capital Scandal! There's a very strong sense of "breaking fourth wall" with Capital Scandal, and Ji Hwan really enhances that effect. But, yeah, if you go to Capital Scandal after watching Hong Gil Dong, the difference can be jarring.
and I got tired of the Woo Wan-Ma Ja couple a long time ago.
Yeah, I actually thought Han Ji Min was kinda lost in this show (until the last 4-5 episodes.) She wouldn't be my first choice to play slapstick or even broad screwball comedy.

The show gets better and better the farther you go, and the last 4-5 episodes are great.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jul 15th, '08, 18:57

Meh. I sure hope it gets better. I just can't get over the fact that they're supposed to have wonderful chemistry but to me, they don't. I started watching Capital Scandal thinking it would help me to like Han Ji Min better (while watching Resurrection, I always had the urge to skip the scenes with her in them), but nope. It didn't do it for me.

tha1

Post by tha1 » Jul 16th, '08, 03:34

fizzlex3mh wrote:Meh. I sure hope it gets better. I just can't get over the fact that they're supposed to have wonderful chemistry but to me, they don't. I started watching Capital Scandal thinking it would help me to like Han Ji Min better (while watching Resurrection, I always had the urge to skip the scenes with her in them), but nope. It didn't do it for me.
you'll be missing out on a good one!!!

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Feb 1st, '09, 13:02

Can't believe I skipped this show .... probably because of the title (not a fan of politics and I thought this is about lawyers and courtroom) well it is kind of but Kang Ji Hwan is too hilarious to watch. I've only seen Han Ji Min act as side characters in All In (playing the younger version of Song Hae Gyo even though she is a lot older than her) and Dae Jang Geum (i think she was one of the medicine ppl) but her acting didn't really capture me much. Seen Ryu Jin from I Really Really Like You (but hated his character there). I've only watched up to episode 2 so will add more later. But so far, it sure is interesting with all the 1930's fashion and music.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Feb 5th, '09, 06:47

Finished watching this show in 4 days. Wow, this show is excellent. It combines action, comedy and romance really well. Plus all the suspense and plot twist with big surprises totally make the entire story thrilling. As many say, it didn't get much of a rating probably because it came out during summer of 2007. That was the season when all the best dramas came out!! That time I remember watching:

Coffee Prince
Time Between Dog and Wolf
Hanakimi
Yamada Taro Monogatari
Hotaru no Hikari
The Legend
others

and didn't even think of watching this one bit because I didn't know any of the cast well. Only thought of watching it now because after Hong Gil Dong and Be Strong Geum Soon, I fell in love watching Kang Ji Hwan and his antics. So if you're a Kang Ji Hwan fan, this drama is a MUST WATCH.

More Editing:

For the comment that Dal Ja's Spring should have won more awards than Capital Scandal ... I watched that show draggingly. Many people recommended it and I watched it because of Lee Min Ki. But he and the girl playing Dal Ja DID NOT HAVE ANY CHEMISTRY whatsoever. If I had watched Dal Ja's Spring right after watching Coffee Prince, I would have thrashed the video files after episode 1. Nothing about Dal Ja's Spring is original. I mean someone said it was a remake of the Japanese drama Anego and I must say Anego was a lot better portrayed and the 2 leads actually matched each other. Also the end of Dal Ja's Spring was so like any other Korean drama there is (the meeting again after 2 years has been done already: Coffee Prince, Miss Kim Sam Soon, Full House, etc, yada yada) . Seen too many Korean dramas already that I can easily get tired of carbon copies.

Ok back on topic, I love Han Go Eun aka Cha Song Joo's fashion, hair. This is the first drama I've seen her, but she really plays the Femme fatale well. So convincing and love her chemistry with Ryu Jin. So sad about "that" part of the ending though.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Feb 12th, '09, 15:07

Man... Kang Ji Hwan was simply superb in this drama. I think he pulled off his character perfectly. Question though, does anyone know the name of the actress who played Miyuki (the police chief's daughter)? She was stunning..especially her eyes. :D

TaroTard

Post by TaroTard » Aug 13th, '09, 21:53

I watched this show a little while ago now and I absolutely loved it! It's one of my fave Kdramas. I originally avoided it cos it was set in the 30s and I don't usually like old style Asian dramas, but I happened to catch a fan vid on youtube and thought it looked cute, so I watched it and loved it. It is funny, cute it has action and it is cheesy it is great I love it <3 XD

iloveli

Post by iloveli » Aug 15th, '09, 03:58

can someone help me please? where can i get this drama but with chinese dubs ? I can't find it..

petik

Post by petik » Aug 15th, '09, 10:17

thank youhhhhhhhhhhhh

hotoko

Post by hotoko » Sep 5th, '09, 06:20

i don't really like this drama because of the location. i didn't no that you guy ever notice or not, but when all character go to have a drink, they all always goes to the same restaurant. i think almost all episode they only drink at the same place. The whole set of this drama is actually is a park in Seoul. If you guy ever seen the drama 101th proposal, you can see this the whole set in that drama..but i really love han jin min - the main reason why i ever watched this drama. :D

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 18th, '10, 23:36

Well, I can see this hasn't been discussed in quite a while, but I'm at Episode 13 right now and I'm loving the series. Just loving it!
I don't usually enjoy politics (never, in fact) and period shows are not my thing, but the fact that it's the 30s and so good, makes me like it.
I love the style, love the characters and plot, the music, everything. Good cast, good work done. And ok... Ji Hwan is too hot as well. :P

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 19th, '10, 00:54

Hey, I'm after the first ep, and what's not to like?
1. Jihwan.
2. Period drama.
3. Nice music.
4. Jihwan.
5. Well, Jihwan's butt...

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Sep 19th, '10, 01:00

Damn it, I try to look at his face as much as possible, but those cheeks are too good...

Well, I finished the series and loved every bit of it. It will take a while before I see it again, because it left me with quite a sadness, as funny as it usually was, but I'll definitely watch again.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 30th, '12, 07:10

loving it so far, is that Park Ha Sun playing one of Cha Song Joo's juniors?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 30th, '12, 08:17

Saw this drama quite some time ago and thought it was fabulous. It had every kind of emotion you could feel in that dreadfull time frame in Korea. Loved the setting in the cafe/nightclub Really the hotspot of the town.
And then there's Mr. Kang. what more could you want.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Aug 7th, '12, 04:36

just watched episode 10 and
oh thank god even though I enjoy the series as a whole I was getting sick of Woo Wan and Yeo Kyeong's refusal to be together despite clearly loving each other, also Woo Wan finally decided to say f**k it and be a rebel. But I see a sad ending where at least Yeong Rang, In Ho, and Soo Hyeon die, but probably Song Joo as well, coming.

It's funny I like Woo Wan and Yeo Kyeong, it's Song Joo that really carries the story to me

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Aug 7th, '12, 23:08

Sajen16 wrote:
But I see a sad ending where at least Yeong Rang, In Ho, and Soo Hyeon die, but probably Song Joo as well, coming.
You're 50% right. :whistling:

But at least Yeo Kyeong was a feisty little girl there...

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Aug 9th, '12, 03:16

on episode 11 I have to say I knew it, or rather I had a feeling it was him