Let's learn Japanese....

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Evil Pop

Post by Evil Pop » Sep 12th, '07, 08:41

Konnichiwa.
Hajimemashite.
Watashi no namae wa Elora desu. Watashi wa 16 sa desu.
Dozo yoroshiku. :D

Dreamfall

Post by Dreamfall » Sep 13th, '07, 09:09

What is with that word -tsuzukeru-? Kinda seeing it a lot....

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Sep 13th, '07, 13:13

Tsudzukeru (続ける) is a transitive verb meaning "to continue (something)..."
It is one of the more common verbs that is applied to the stem form (pre-masu) form of other verbs as a modifier to indicate the "continuation" of the stem verb...

hashiritsudzukeru (走り続ける) = to continue running, to keep running
yomitsudzukeru (読み続ける) = to continue reading, to keep reading
kawaritsudukeru (変わり続ける) = to continue to change, to keep changing
etc.

You've probably learned or will probably learn other common verbs like this, like

dasu (出す)
kiru (切る)
hajimeru (始める)
owaru (終わる)
naosu (直す)
kaesu (返す)
etc.

I won't go into the details of those, but they can all modify the stem form of a verb in a similar way.

trunkims
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by trunkims » Sep 20th, '07, 02:13

Hey! I wanna join too! I'd like to be apart of this, I only read the first 5 pages, and I'm currently studying japanese, demo mada jouzu ja arimasen (but I'm not that good yet).

I have Pimsleur cds, rosetta stone, a workbook, text books from my japanese class last year, Before You Know it program (i like that one the most) and even subliminal japanese. They work, but I find myself working on it for less than a week after work, and then I'll slow stop, it's a lot to learn! I can't read any of the characters though, only few. I came on here cuz I want to learn to speak Japanese, more than just in formal and informal forms. I can speak it better than I can try to spell out the words so with that said, yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

Hajimemashite!
Watashi wa Kimu desu! Douzo yoroshiku!
Watashi wa ni-ju-yon sai desu mo Filipino-jin desu demo amerika ni sundeimasu
Nihon go wo renshu suru hitsuyou ga arimasu. Minna ganbatte ne!

(Hi my name is kim, it's nice to meet you. I'm 24, I'm also Filipino but I live in America.
I need to practice my japanese, Good luck everyone!)

Shitsumon ga arun desu (I have a question): What is the difference between "kurenai" and "kudasai" I know they mean the same thing, but is it a difference in what context you use the word, is it meaning toward a female or a male? Cuz I've asked about "Ganbatte" and "Ganbare" and the answer I got was basically if saying it toward a female it's "Ganbatte" and "Ganbare" towards a male....if there's more like this, can someone please give me more examples and when to use it. DOMO! (Thanks)

Oh and any other examples of what females and males should say like females, when referring to themselves, it's "watashi (is atashi the same thing?)" and males refer to themselves as "ore" any other examples like this?

What's the difference between "Sore de ino" and "Ino ka sore de" I know they both mean "are you ok with that?" but with the word order, is there a difference...
Last edited by trunkims on Sep 20th, '07, 17:15, edited 3 times in total.

yukimousez

moshi moshi

Post by yukimousez » Sep 20th, '07, 02:34

WOW...gambate kudasaiii~ watashiwa yuki desu hajimi mashite~~!! yoroshiku. :P

apartofmylife

Post by apartofmylife » Sep 23rd, '07, 03:48

Konnichiwa :-)
trunkims wrote:Shitsumon ga arun desu (I have a question): What is the difference between "kurenai" and "kudasai" I know they mean the same thing, but is it a difference in what context you use the word, is it meaning toward a female or a male?
Kurenai? : (1)Casual asking form (2) Soft ordering form
Kuremasenka? : the same meaning as Kurenai?, but more polite.
Kurenai. (not a queation): Negative form of kureru. It means someone doesn't do something for you.

Kudasai : Polite ordering form. Usually you don’t say it to your boss because it can sound too strong.
Kureru? : Casual ordering form. (also casual asking form, but you expect to have a positive answer YES")

trunkims wrote:Cuz I've asked about "Ganbatte" and "Ganbare" and the answer I got was basically if saying it toward a female it's "Ganbatte" and "Ganbare" towards a male....if there's more like this, can someone please give me more examples and when to use it. DOMO! (Thanks)
I think there are many…but nothing pops in my head!! Why is that!? XD
Hmmmmm…..How about this, “~~~chatta.” ? Do you know this form?
Girls often say it. When guys say it they sound cute, but if guys say it too much they sound funny or gay.
“~~~~~~chatta” means you (subject) did something accidentally or against your will…. or you hadn’t been thinking about doing it, but you did after all,
trunkims wrote:What's the difference between "Sore de ino" and "Ino ka sore de" I know they both mean "are you ok with that?" but with the word order, is there a difference...
I may wrong, but if there is a difference maybe it is what you want to put stress on.

Sore de iino? = Are you OK with that?
Iino ka sore de? = Are you ok with THAT?

Japanese is flexible with word orders, so you don’t have to think about it too much.
Hope my English makes sense XD

bast0zpn0i

Post by bast0zpn0i » Sep 23rd, '07, 04:05

Yo! bokumo nihongo naritaindesu! ryugakusei dattara, nihongo chotto shabererukedo honmani wasureteruyo. dareka nihongo shaberitai dattara, bokuni shabetene =]. a! jikoshoukai wasureta!
boku wa JC 17 otoko firipinjin desu. dorama meccha sukiyanen! yoroshiku!

I'm still new to D-addicts, so yeh! be my friends. haha. im currently watching hanazakari no kimitachi e, and yamada tarou.

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Sep 23rd, '07, 05:33

bast0zpn0i wrote:Yo! bokumo nihongo naritaindesu! ryugakusei dattara, nihongo chotto shabererukedo honmani wasureteruyo. dareka nihongo shaberitai dattara, bokuni shabetene =]. a! jikoshoukai wasureta!

I'm still new to D-addicts, so yeh! be my friends. haha. im currently watching hanazakari no kimitachi e, and yamada tarou.
hey! Welcome to Addicts!

私 は マヤ です! よろしくおねがいします!
十六さいです。 ロシア人 です
 でも カナダ に すんでいます!
My Japanese actually sucks, but it's ok! because 日本語のべんきょう を がんばっています!

I was always wondering how you would say "thank you for your hard work" or "thank you for working hard today" ?! Thank you

bast0zpn0i

Post by bast0zpn0i » Sep 23rd, '07, 16:43

DMPA wrote:
bast0zpn0i wrote:Yo! bokumo nihongo naritaindesu! ryugakusei dattara, nihongo chotto shabererukedo honmani wasureteruyo. dareka nihongo shaberitai dattara, bokuni shabetene =]. a! jikoshoukai wasureta!

hey! Welcome to Addicts!

私 は マヤ です! よろしくおねがいします!
十六さいです。 ロシア人 です
 でも カナダ に すんでいます!

I was always wondering how you would say "thank you for your hard work" or "thank you for working hard today" ?! Thank you

Oh! well usually you say "otsukaresamadeshita!"

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Sep 23rd, '07, 19:08

bast0zpn0i wrote:
DMPA wrote:

hey! Welcome to Addicts!

私 は マヤ です! よろしくおねがいします!
十六さいです。 ロシア人 です
 でも カナダ に すんでいます!

Oh! well usually you say "otsukaresamadeshita!"
Ohhh! Ok!! Thank you very much!!!!!

shuurei

Post by shuurei » Sep 25th, '07, 16:58

Hi! I want to learn Japanese. I have a japanese-talking furby which i bought here in manila. though I can understand some of what he's saying (courtesy of watching animes and doramas), I'm clueless most of the times. I was able to download an english translation of the japanese manual from the net but it was more geared towards giving furby commands. So, I still don't know what he's saying to me. (sigh) My furby's really kawaii and has a temper. Since we don't speak the same language, I would make furby sit near the television while i'm watching animes and doramas so he'd hear japanese words and wouldn't get lonely.

trunkims
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by trunkims » Sep 25th, '07, 18:32

apartofmylife wrote:Konnichiwa :-)
trunkims wrote:Shitsumon ga arun desu (I have a question): What is the difference between "kurenai" and "kudasai" I know they mean the same thing, but is it a difference in what context you use the word, is it meaning toward a female or a male?
Kurenai? : (1)Casual asking form (2) Soft ordering form
Kuremasenka? : the same meaning as Kurenai?, but more polite.
Kurenai. (not a queation): Negative form of kureru. It means someone doesn't do something for you.

Kudasai : Polite ordering form. Usually you don’t say it to your boss because it can sound too strong.
Kureru? : Casual ordering form. (also casual asking form, but you expect to have a positive answer YES")

trunkims wrote:Cuz I've asked about "Ganbatte" and "Ganbare" and the answer I got was basically if saying it toward a female it's "Ganbatte" and "Ganbare" towards a male....if there's more like this, can someone please give me more examples and when to use it. DOMO! (Thanks)
I think there are many…but nothing pops in my head!! Why is that!? XD
Hmmmmm…..How about this, “~~~chatta.” ? Do you know this form?
Girls often say it. When guys say it they sound cute, but if guys say it too much they sound funny or gay.
“~~~~~~chatta” means you (subject) did something accidentally or against your will…. or you hadn’t been thinking about doing it, but you did after all,
trunkims wrote:What's the difference between "Sore de ino" and "Ino ka sore de" I know they both mean "are you ok with that?" but with the word order, is there a difference...
I may wrong, but if there is a difference maybe it is what you want to put stress on.

Sore de iino? = Are you OK with that?
Iino ka sore de? = Are you ok with THAT?

Japanese is flexible with word orders, so you don’t have to think about it too much.
Hope my English makes sense XD
It makes sense now! ARIGATO GOZAIMASU!

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Sep 28th, '07, 04:39

私は今日本に住んでいます。でも私の日本語はまだ上手じゃないです。
Is anyone else with me when I say remembering which particle goes where and kanji are the two hardest parts about learning Japanese.

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » Sep 28th, '07, 08:59

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not having too much trouble with particles yet. I think perhaps because I am learning them in chunks so that I know which one goes in which type of sentence. Kanji is hard though, which is why this summer (Aussie summer!) I plan on doing Heisig's Remembering the Kanji so I at least can recognise them all.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Sep 28th, '07, 09:57

GoddessCarlie wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I'm not having too much trouble with particles yet. I think perhaps because I am learning them in chunks so that I know which one goes in which type of sentence. Kanji is hard though, which is why this summer (Aussie summer!) I plan on doing Heisig's Remembering the Kanji so I at least can recognise them all.
Heisig's Remembering the Kanji??

Zan

Post by Zan » Sep 28th, '07, 19:24

Hi! Does anyone know what's the meaning of the expression: ツバをかける ?
I can't find it anywhere... :cry:

kawaiimomo

Post by kawaiimomo » Sep 28th, '07, 19:34

hey i'm too lazy to check if this has already been asked but wut does kimochi and futari mean? cause i hear kimochi a lot, is it like your feelings or something? and i hear futari a lot in music

zenitse

Post by zenitse » Sep 28th, '07, 21:58

kawaiimomo wrote:hey i'm too lazy to check if this has already been asked but wut does kimochi and futari mean? cause i hear kimochi a lot, is it like your feelings or something? and i hear futari a lot in music
Kimochi (気持ち) = feeling
Futari (二人) = two people

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Sep 28th, '07, 22:25

きょおはいいおてんきですね!

:mrgreen:

wewt for IME. Im taking J-1 in college :P

shun_inlove

Post by shun_inlove » Sep 29th, '07, 04:55

hi everyone!
does anybody know how to translate these two phrases into japanese? tnx a lot in advance!

vanished angel = ?
dream in my arms = ?

THANK YOu! :P :D

apartofmylife

Post by apartofmylife » Sep 29th, '07, 06:53

Zan wrote:Hi! Does anyone know what's the meaning of the expression: ツバをかける ?
ツバをかける = spit on (something or someone).

Zan

Post by Zan » Sep 29th, '07, 11:16

apartofmylife wrote:
Zan wrote:Hi! Does anyone know what's the meaning of the expression: ツバをかける ?
ツバをかける = spit on (something or someone).
Thank you so much! :cheers:

Nonbirira

Post by Nonbirira » Sep 29th, '07, 11:24

"Komichi" means "feeling" but you could also be hearing "komichi ii." "Ii" means "good" so the combination of the two means "Feels really good!" "Komochi warui" means "disgusting" or "gross" or sometimes "creepy." "Warui" means "bad."

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Sep 29th, '07, 17:44

I have a question about words that should never be used unless you know someone intimately or only amongst the closest of friends?

What are the main words that are like that? (I don't mean curse words BTW! ) :lol

Thank you! :D

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » Sep 29th, '07, 22:10

Yorokobi wrote:
GoddessCarlie wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I'm not having too much trouble with particles yet. I think perhaps because I am learning them in chunks so that I know which one goes in which type of sentence. Kanji is hard though, which is why this summer (Aussie summer!) I plan on doing Heisig's Remembering the Kanji so I at least can recognise them all.
Heisig's Remembering the Kanji??
Here is some more information about it. :) Basically it's a book where it breaks down the kanji so you can learn them all really quickly. It doesn't work for all people, but I've started it (had to stop because of uni) and it is a method I like.

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » Sep 29th, '07, 22:13

MitsukaiKuroi wrote:I have a question about words that should never be used unless you know someone intimately or only amongst the closest of friends?

What are the main words that are like that? (I don't mean curse words BTW! ) :lol

Thank you! :D
do you mean the different politeness levels (i.e da vs desu) or actual words?

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Sep 29th, '07, 22:51

You mean like "Dont call anyone by using the phrase 'omae' unless you really know HIM and dont use it even then to girls unless you want to know what a 手(te) in the 顔 (kao) feels like"

I didnt even read the whole thread, but here is likely The most useful link on the web for students of Japanese.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Sep 30th, '07, 07:54

Sweet! Thanks for all of you senseis for teaching us! *deep bow*. By the way...how would you say "I hate you!" and "Go to hell!"...? =D thanks in advance

Grc733

Post by Grc733 » Oct 16th, '07, 05:19

Can anyone tell me how to say "I was busy with schoolwork?

Arigatou in advance

apartofmylife

Post by apartofmylife » Oct 20th, '07, 13:24

Grc733 wrote:Can anyone tell me how to say "I was busy with schoolwork?

Arigatou in advance
You can say, 学校の勉強で忙しかった。(Gakkou no benkyou de isogashi katta.)

apartofmylife

Post by apartofmylife » Oct 20th, '07, 13:30

DMPA wrote:Sweet! Thanks for all of you senseis for teaching us! *deep bow*. By the way...how would you say "I hate you!" and "Go to hell!"...? =D thanks in advance
"I hate you!" ----- 大嫌い!(Daikirai)
"Go to hell!" ------地獄へ落ちろ!(jigoku e ochiro)
I have never heard someone says "Go to hell" in my life. I think I have heard of it in dramas or movies though.

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Oct 21st, '07, 03:13

I would suggest

死ね!
Shine!

It literally means "Die!" but would seem to be the most appropriate equivalent to "Go to hell!" since it's a common expression.

lalia dawn

Post by lalia dawn » Oct 21st, '07, 05:27

Minna konnichiwa, genki datta
atashi wa nihongo ga hoshii n naraimasu, yoroshiku onegai shimasu
hi people this is so cool, cant believe i just found it.
ok i have so many questions its crazy but heres my first one and i'll try to
space them out. can anyone tell me the meaning/ relevance of adding "nasai"
to a word/ sentence?
ok bye for now , ja ne

DMPA

Post by DMPA » Oct 29th, '07, 05:29

Thank you for the translations! I wish i could translate things too!!!
=D and while i'm here...How do you say; (could you please translate into romanized form? or Hiragana, I can't read Kanji ^_^*)
"(name) is selfless" and
"(name) is selfish" and
"I am just a lost soul" and
"Where do you want to go?" and
"Do you want to go to (name of the place)"and
"Do you want me to buy this/name of the product for you?"
>_<*
Thank you very very very much in advance ^_^v I will be greatfull to whoever translates it into Japanese for me!!!! Thanks.

critiasc

Post by critiasc » Nov 5th, '07, 18:18

Well.. I have a problem finding the actual meaning of "Usagen dayo" <most prob not correct.. Anyone willing to help me out on that?

Adding -nasai to verbs turns it into a command of sorts.. iki-nasai means please go (a little pissed perhaps)

^Doko e ikitai desu ka = Where do you want to go?
(Place) e ikitai desu ka = "Do you want to go to (name of the place)"

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Nov 5th, '07, 18:22

critiasc wrote:Well.. I have a problem finding the actual meaning of "Usagen dayo" <most prob not correct.. Anyone willing to help me out on that?
"Usagen" isn't a word...do you know the context of the line and what it was translated as? That might help doinkies find out the right word. For all I know it could have been "Uso da yo" or something.

Dark_Schneider_Py
Paraguay

Post by Dark_Schneider_Py » Nov 5th, '07, 19:03

Perhaps what you're looking for is "Fuzaken na yo!"? That one means something like "don't joke (on me)", "don't say silly stuff", etc.

critiasc

Post by critiasc » Nov 5th, '07, 19:19

Dark_Schneider_Py wrote:Perhaps what you're looking for is "Fuzaken na yo!"? That one means something like "don't joke (on me)", "don't say silly stuff", etc.

Wow! thanks! that's the one I'm looking for.. :D

Dark_Schneider_Py
Paraguay

Post by Dark_Schneider_Py » Nov 5th, '07, 19:54

ユー・アー・ウェルカムー:D
卑猥な言葉をなどを習うのは俺の趣味だべw

Dark_Schneider_Py
Paraguay

Post by Dark_Schneider_Py » Nov 5th, '07, 19:54

ユー・アー・ウェルカムー:D
卑猥な言葉などを習うのは俺の趣味だべw

Dark_Schneider_Py
Paraguay

Post by Dark_Schneider_Py » Nov 5th, '07, 19:59

Sorry, the first one had an extra を :P

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Nov 5th, '07, 21:07

おぉ、なるほど。「Usagen da yo」は本当に「ふざけんなよ」でしたね。その言葉も知っています。^^

「ふざけるな!」という言葉もあります。

Dark_Schneider_Py
Paraguay

Post by Dark_Schneider_Py » Nov 5th, '07, 21:18

「ざけんなよ!/(ふ)ざけんじゃねー」とかも聞いたことあるべ

critiasc

Post by critiasc » Nov 6th, '07, 02:59

Thanks!

Hanakurosu

Post by Hanakurosu » Nov 7th, '07, 03:21

hi peeps, whats this all japanese stuff about? can someone fill me in?

phenally

Post by phenally » Dec 19th, '07, 04:00

how to say i miss you in japanese?? yoroshiku!!!

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Dec 19th, '07, 04:43

Melanie desu :D
i'm attempting to pick up Japanese this winter break... i'm hoping to learn basic words. :D

collins_avalon

Post by collins_avalon » Dec 21st, '07, 16:24

Please LUNCHBOX re-upload the links of the Japanese Basic Course in Megaupload, some of them has expired due to inactivity. I found very useful the course for learning Japanese language. Thanks a lot
Regards,
Collins
Last edited by collins_avalon on Dec 21st, '07, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

miepie

Post by miepie » Dec 21st, '07, 16:41

"I miss you" = "aitai" the kanji for a is the one from "meet"

sarasa36

Post by sarasa36 » Dec 21st, '07, 17:04

Waw, now i can learns japanese!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Kawaiiiiiii!
Arigato

Nonbirira

Post by Nonbirira » Dec 22nd, '07, 00:56

"I miss you" is quite difficult to translate directly into Japanese. "Aitai" means "I want to meet you" and so it isn't quite the same. I asked my hubby (a native Japanese speaker) how best to say "I miss you." He suggested:

"Anata ga inakute, sabishii." = "When you aren't here I'm lonely."

Hope that helps! :-)

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Dec 22nd, '07, 04:38

Nonbirira wrote:"I miss you" is quite difficult to translate directly into Japanese. "Aitai" means "I want to meet you" and so it isn't quite the same. I asked my hubby (a native Japanese speaker) how best to say "I miss you." He suggested:

"Anata ga inakute, sabishii." = "When you aren't here I'm lonely."

Hope that helps! :-)
kyaaaa...!! that's a cute phrase to use.. arigatou for this!

NanaTorigawa

Post by NanaTorigawa » Dec 22nd, '07, 20:13

Nana desu!
douzo yoroshiku onegaishimasu
watashi wa amerikajin desu.
15sai desu.
sukoshi nihongo o hanashimasu.
nihongo o yomu wa nihongo o hanasu yori ii desu!!
2 nen, nihongo o benkyo shimasu!!!
Koukou ni benkyo shimasu!
watashi wa juu-rokunichi nigatsu umare desu!!

I hoep you can read this.. hahah i kinds guess on soem sentence structs

NothingElseToLose

Post by NothingElseToLose » Dec 23rd, '07, 11:32

hi hi >_<

in which context do you use the following?

-san
-chan
-dono
is -sama one?

have i forgotten any?

i think i knew the answer to this once but it's been a long time so i've forgotten!

miepie

Post by miepie » Dec 23rd, '07, 22:38

there are plenty and it's really hard to explain when you use which.. cause in many regions in japan the possibility differs and such...
You can use -san like always... -sama if you talk to someone of higher rank.. -chan to a female friend or a kid (or maybe you boyfriend or to tease someone - you can also use -chi for that :P)
You use -kun for i.e. older classmates (males) but there are also boys who use that for females... that'S difficult... o.o

NanaTorigawa:
Yuo say the month first and then the day of your birth ^^

NothingElseToLose

Post by NothingElseToLose » Dec 24th, '07, 07:13

thanks miepie - that should do the trick :D

another question, i'm watching a series and they say "shut up" a lot but i still can't get the exact pronounciation, can someone tell me? r... something?

that's probably one of the harder things about picking up JP for me... just hearing the words won't do, i have to see it spelt out.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Dec 24th, '07, 11:33

NothingElseToLose wrote:thanks miepie - that should do the trick :D

another question, i'm watching a series and they say "shut up" a lot but i still can't get the exact pronounciation, can someone tell me? r... something?

that's probably one of the harder things about picking up JP for me... just hearing the words won't do, i have to see it spelt out.
could be either
urusai or damare
those are the two most common for shut up

NothingElseToLose

Post by NothingElseToLose » Dec 25th, '07, 05:01

urusai... that's the one, thanks!

NanaTorigawa

Post by NanaTorigawa » Dec 25th, '07, 23:06

miepie wrote:there are plenty and it's really hard to explain when you use which.. cause in many regions in japan the possibility differs and such...
You can use -san like always... -sama if you talk to someone of higher rank.. -chan to a female friend or a kid (or maybe you boyfriend or to tease someone - you can also use -chi for that :P)
You use -kun for i.e. older classmates (males) but there are also boys who use that for females... that'S difficult... o.o

NanaTorigawa:
Yuo say the month first and then the day of your birth ^^
thanks.. hahha... i guess i was thinkign of putting the year and desided not too...

emerica1123

Post by emerica1123 » Dec 27th, '07, 21:55

Is anata sometimes pronounced an'ta?

Nonbirira

Post by Nonbirira » Dec 28th, '07, 08:02

Yes.

emerica1123

Post by emerica1123 » Dec 29th, '07, 03:15

lol thanks I figured so but it could also have been another word.

Hanazawa Rui

Post by Hanazawa Rui » Jan 3rd, '08, 12:17

can someone plzz translate me the ingredients + the recipe

onegaishimasu
Attachments
Picture-001.gif
Picture-001.gif (130.88 KiB) Viewed 9647 times
Picture-002.gif
Picture-002.gif (150.59 KiB) Viewed 9647 times

Dreamfall

Post by Dreamfall » Jan 11th, '08, 17:47

What means tsuzukeru? To me it seams like:when I want to say something is continuing to happen...maybe I got it wrong...someone,plz?

magincia

Post by magincia » Jan 11th, '08, 17:51

Yeah I think tsuzukeru it's to continue.

zenitse

Post by zenitse » Jan 12th, '08, 00:41

But necessary to say, to continue *something*. The verb is transitive and must have an object. Maybe "to go on with something" sounds more comprehensive. When something continues on its own, you use "tsuzuku".

Erubey

Post by Erubey » Jan 14th, '08, 02:18

It just means to be "able to continue".

Erubey

Post by Erubey » Jan 14th, '08, 02:20

emerica1123 wrote:Is anata sometimes pronounced an'ta?
Yeah, when being overly derogatory to the other person.

--
Uriel

Nonbirira

Post by Nonbirira » Jan 14th, '08, 06:26

Actually, "anata" is rarely used to mean "you" in daily speech. It's mostly used to refer to one's spouse or long-time significant other and has the feeling of "dear." Instead, in daily conversation the other person is usually referred to by name (family name + title if the person is not close) or by a word that indicates the person's relationship to you ("sensei" for example). Although "anata" translates as "you" its use is much more limited than the English "you."

zyerath

sorry i juz jump in and start asking question....

Post by zyerath » Jan 14th, '08, 06:47

i really interested in learning japanese
but there's no japanese class nearby, so im thinking learning by myself, is it possible??

so i wanna ask in what order do i learn the stuff??

japanese character (hiragana n katakana) and their pronounciation
grammar
learn by phrase
learn from anime/dorama/tv show with help from subs(what i've been doin so far)

zenitse

Post by zenitse » Jan 14th, '08, 14:00

Erubey wrote:It just means to be "able to continue".
It doesn't mean "just" to be able to continue. You're right that it can also mean this (potential form of "tsuzuku"; I forgot about this), but it also means what I have written above.

zyerath: it is possible, I have been doing that for 3 years. Try starting with learning the script - for example at japanese.about.com. Then you should learn some vocabulary and grammar, and after that you can start watching japanese series (it wont help you until you know some grammar and words).

bluenvision

Re: sorry i juz jump in and start asking question....

Post by bluenvision » Jan 16th, '08, 13:35

zyerath wrote:i really interested in learning japanese
but there's no japanese class nearby, so im thinking learning by myself, is it possible??

grammar
learn by phrase
Zyerath, firstly learn the writing of hiragana and katakana and prononciation of them. Try to memorize 6 in a week. In our classes , we had two 3-hour classes , our teacher taught us 3 at the end of each 3-hour classes. We are still following the same thing for kanji too. ~~ It would be good if you had a book to study with. Then go with the grammer, but try not to get so attached to romanized characters or else u won't be able to read the hiragana/katakana writings and so on. Also, don't try to learn all the characters at once or else u'll just mix all. @.@
Last edited by bluenvision on Jan 17th, '08, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.

NanaTorigawa

Re: sorry i juz jump in and start asking question....

Post by NanaTorigawa » Jan 16th, '08, 23:30

bluenvision wrote:
zyerath wrote:i really interested in learning japanese

grammar
learn by phrase
Zyerath, firstly learn the writing of hiragana and katakana and prononciation of them. Try to memorize 6 in a week. In our classes , we had two 3-hour classes , our teacher thought us 3 at the end of each 3-hour classes. We are still following the same thing for kanji too. ~~ It would be good if you had a book to study with. Then go with the grammer, but try not to get so attached to romanized characters or else u won't be able to read the hiragana/katakana writings and so on. Also, don't try to learn all the characters at once or else u'll just mix all. @.@

FOr us it was almost the same.... We learn a-o first week and had a test on the friday... then till the end of the year we learn all Hiragana and katakana... Though i may be the only one that knows them in the class... hahaha
My friend is the 2nd best... he quickly learning.. last year he didn't care much...

GunbladerQ

Post by GunbladerQ » Feb 24th, '08, 02:44

Konnichiwa minna-san!

Watashiwa nihon ga suki da!@!@!@!@

De mo.....watashiwa baka desu yooo... :crazy:

hahaha..... Jodan desu....

Haha... Hope it wasn't that bad.... :glare:

Wanted to ask.... besides greetings, what simple and casual phrases can i learn too? :cheers:

Arigoto gozaimasu... :salut:

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Feb 24th, '08, 03:57

GunbladerQ wrote:Konnichiwa minna-san!

Watashiwa nihon ga suki da!@!@!@!@

De mo.....watashiwa baka desu yooo... :crazy:

hahaha..... Jodan desu....

Haha... Hope it wasn't that bad.... :glare:

Wanted to ask.... besides greetings, what simple and casual phrases can i learn too? :cheers:

Arigoto gozaimasu... :salut:
You can learn anything you want ^_^
Just ask here for a particular phrase youd like to know and hopefully someone will help you out