Only if you have extra time
5%
STAY AWAY
6%

Total votes: 101

apples

Damo (MBC, 2003)

Post by apples » Jan 5th, '05, 15:49

edited by iceberri: See the review here.

Is it alright if I start this thread? I don't think there's a thread for this series yet.

Soooo.. what do ya'll think of this drama? How would you rate it and why?

Mods here really want us to use these tags to indicate spoilers:

{Quote}{color=white}SPOILER HERE{/color}{/quote}

Just replace all the { }'s with corresponding [ ]'s. =)

OR

1) highlight the spoiler part of your entry
2) change the FONT COLOR to White
3)click QUOTE.

****** SPOILERS **********
Okay, I'm confused with the message of the drama. I'm just curious what y'all think.

Also, in the end when Sung-baek(rebel) found out about Jae-Hui, did he still see her as a woman? And same goes for Jae-Hui... When I first watched the last episode, I was really convinced that their love for each other goes beyond what they should have. But after watching it again, I realized that they might finally look at each other as siblings.

Man, throughout the series, I don't know who is best for Jae-Hui. Commander Hwang-boo has always been there for her and really loved her. But when Sung-Baek entered the picture, I really wished they weren't related cos they seem to go great together.

I usually don't like situations like this, siblings(either by blood or marriage) or anyone related falling in love.. but I didn't sense anything incestous here... well at least to the point that I'd get disgusted. I'm hoping it's not just me or else I've got one big problem.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Jan 5th, '05, 21:06

It's fine. I was planning on writing a review for this, but I haven't gotten around to it at all. (REALLY behind on writing reviews) Anyways, I voted for life-altering as it is one of my favorite dramas to date. :wub:
I guess I obviously can't speak for everyone when I say that the "incestual" relationship didn't bother me at all in this drama. I've presented my views on incest several times; I tend to usually be more forgiving than most. ^_^ Brother/sister relationships don't really bother me, though I don't think I'd be as forgiving for a parent/child relationship. Getting back to the point...

My interpretation of Chae Ok and Sung Baek's relationship was that it extended beyond the physical definitions of love. It wasn't necessarily sibling love or romantic love, but love in its rawest form. (Yes, I'm a huge huge huge huge sap.) The attraction, care, and utter devotion to one another, despite being on opposite sides, can't simply be categorized into "that was a brotherly hug" or something like that. They don't define what Chae Ok and Sung Baek think of each other specifically in the end, but frankly, I don't think the producers wanted to give off brother/sister vibes, but rather, this raw, passionate, unselfish eternal love that extends beyond death.

And no, you're not nuts for wanting them to be together. Who can resist the intense, rebel bad boy with pure intentions? :mrgreen:

kali4niaguy

Post by kali4niaguy » Jan 6th, '05, 08:52

Damo is a must watch, i don't know about it being life altering though. :mrgreen:
i noticed that many K-dramas have a lot of incest related themes. i would mention the dramas and movies, but i don't want to spoil it for those that haven't seen them.

i don't think there was anything wrong with the incest in Damo though, bcuz they had no idea that they were related. to them, it was just love between a man and a woman. i don't know which guy Chae Ok should've been with, either 1 would've been fine, but with Chae Ok and Sung Baek...only if they weren't related.

in the end, i think Chae Ok did what she did bcuz she couldn't bare the thought of her brother dying by himself, i'm sure parts of her loved him as a man, and not just as a brother, but it's mostly brother/sister love(it's debatable, but that's what opinions r all about 8) ). it took her so long to find him, and now they're being seperated again. besides, she had nothing to live for bcuz Commander Hwang-boo was dead also.
i have to watch this again, i forgot some of the parts already. :-)

missxmoody

Post by missxmoody » Jan 6th, '05, 17:17

i just finished watching this drama in a nonstop marathon. i like how it was a marathon since it never seemed to drag like most dramas. i'd consider 'damo' my favorite or at least one of my favorite dramas, it's defintely a must watch.
not much of a spoiler but i both love and hated the ending. it made perfect sense to kill them togehter but at the same time i didn't want to see them die. yeah, i don't make sense. but it's still a beautiful ending .. 'never leave your sister's side' or something like that.

props to yesasia for subbing an ancient series, i wish they would put more extras on their dvd sets though.

apples

Post by apples » Jan 6th, '05, 17:44

iceberri wrote:It's fine. I was planning on writing a review for this, but I haven't gotten around to it at all. (REALLY behind on writing reviews) Anyways, I voted for life-altering as it is one of my favorite dramas to date. :wub:
I guess I obviously can't speak for everyone when I say that the "incestual" relationship didn't bother me at all in this drama. I've presented my views on incest several times; I tend to usually be more forgiving than most. ^_^ Brother/sister relationships don't really bother me, though I don't think I'd be as forgiving for a parent/child relationship. Getting back to the point...

My interpretation of Chae Ok and Sung Baek's relationship was that it extended beyond the physical definitions of love. It wasn't necessarily sibling love or romantic love, but love in its rawest form. (Yes, I'm a huge huge huge huge sap.) The attraction, care, and utter devotion to one another, despite being on opposite sides, can't simply be categorized into "that was a brotherly hug" or something like that. They don't define what Chae Ok and Sung Baek think of each other specifically in the end, but frankly, I don't think the producers wanted to give off brother/sister vibes, but rather, this raw, passionate, unselfish eternal love that extends beyond death.

And no, you're not nuts for wanting them to be together. Who can resist the intense, rebel bad boy with pure intentions? :mrgreen:
Can't wait for your review on this drama!

Anyway, I'll repost what I posted on one of the torrent comments..

I think they were brilliant in creating the ending. it's was beautiful... and the acting... i'm speechless at how effective they executed their parts
it is sad, but in a good way. it's not like a few other dramas that just had to make it tragic to have a sad ending. that's why i'm a bit irritated in those dramas because why would they do that??? they have to go to that extreme so their audience would cry? in this drama, i think the ending was appropriate... If they ended up alive, chae-ohk can't be with either of the two guys. I think it flowed and ended naturally, unlike other drama that they died so easily. I wanna name one drama but it must be a spoiler for some ppl.

i just got confused with the message in the end... i had a different understanding the first time i watched it.. after a few times of watching it again, i had another understanding... from a different point of view that is. though i still cried even though i have watched it before ... this drama has a powerful effect on me!
This is so different from many romantic dramas. When I watch those, it seems like I just watch them for entertainment, but this one life-altering. It has a message of the true meaning of a deep romantic love. I was moved with the way the two men loved Chae-Ohk, and also Chae-Ohk's feelings towards them. A friend told me, "somehow, i dont thnk there's something wrong with falling in love as long as you think of love not just as the feeling, but more importantly as a commitment...in the sense, responsibility is an element attached to it." It was portrayed several times in the drama...

when...
sung-baek brought chae-ohk to his camp
chae-ohk trying to save sung-baek
hwang-boo wanting to give up for chae-ohk
and i think there's more..

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Jan 11th, '05, 06:29

From the review:
nor a slow motion scene where the two main characters just miss each other
I'd just like to point out that there is one scene
When Jang Sung-baek walks by the temple place and sees the back of Chae-Ok but not knowing it was her. It was done in slow motion and they missed each other :P
Btw these quote things, I wonder if they're really needed in a topic that has **spoiler** in its title?[/quote]

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Jan 11th, '05, 23:23

GAH!!! Ruroshin. :@ You're not supposed to point that out!! I had forgotten all about that scene actually, since it's been a while... heh. ~_____~ But I thought that scene was done rather effectively, considering I didn't roll my eyes. Perhaps it was because they were so close to the realization that it was something other than a lovey dovey secret. :P

Hmmm, people actually read my longass rants .. <cough> reviews? That's news. :blink

I changed the title of the thread so it doesn't say spoilers since it's supposed to give those who haven't seen it a chance to see other people's opinions about the drama. Annoying to white everything out but more logical if it's aimed not only for discussion but for others to get an idea of whether to watch it or not. ^_^
Last edited by iceberri on Jan 17th, '05, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

il_mare

Post by il_mare » Jan 17th, '05, 07:22

This is deinitely my fav kdrama. :thumleft:

It was beautiful yet to painful to watch. Catching "Damo" was like having a big rock that rested on my chest crushing my heart that I could not breath; like a huge pit that was stuck pertually in my throat and I could not swallow; and a glass wall in my eyes where they are drowned with tears but could not flow.

One of the most tragic love story that I've ever seen in a kdrama where all the cliche are there yet it all made sense and unconventional.

My heart went out to both Hwangbo Yoon and JSB and I was as torn as CO. Oh CO, the pain of her existence, her status, her life, her dreams and her love.

I recently re-watch "Damo" again, and I've been an emtional wreck since.....I doubt I will ever recover from this tragic tale of love and loyalty!

snowangel414

Post by snowangel414 » Jan 19th, '05, 20:15

Whose to know the ending would be like that ???!! Love is so deep in these drama especially this movie. The drama itself drained me for me a few days.

ginjk

Post by ginjk » Jan 19th, '05, 20:37

damo is a must see and I hope it'll get to the series of the month soon. This is the best after all about eve. Two thumbs up.

supadupahearn

Post by supadupahearn » Jan 26th, '05, 08:55

I was wondering how much do you need to know about Korean history since this takes place back in the days? Will it help me better understand?

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Jan 26th, '05, 18:42

supadupahearn wrote:I was wondering how much do you need to know about Korean history since this takes place back in the days? Will it help me better understand?
I had almost no background in Korean history when I first started watching Damo besides knowing vaguely about Chosun (from Thousand Years of Love). Although I was slightly confused at first, there isn't really anything that requires an in-depth knowledge of Korean history to understand the plot. There might have been some things that I didn't pick up on due to my non-korean background, but you definitely will enjoy the drama thoroughly for the gut-wrenching storyline.

apples

Post by apples » Feb 16th, '05, 02:03

in the first few eps, there were times i couldn't understand what was going on because i was trying to figure out who the male characters were. they were wearing uniforms, all had long beard, and they all look the same to me except for Mr. Lee who had a scar on his face.

it took me awhile to figure out that the guy (lee seo-jin) in phoenix was hwangboo in damo. though he looked hotter with the long hair and beard plus that korean outfit of his..

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Feb 16th, '05, 06:16

apples wrote:in the first few eps, there were times i couldn't understand what was going on because i was trying to figure out who the male characters were. they were wearing uniforms, all had long beard, and they all look the same to me except for Mr. Lee who had a scar on his face.
:lol Same here. It took me a while to figure out what was happening & who's who.

Learner

Post by Learner » Feb 16th, '05, 06:35

I thoroughly enjoyed this drama. Must say that LSJ is my fav actor but that's not the reason why I favour Damo. The story is powerful and not dragging. The love is rich and in its truest sense as in giving not taking...Although there are some eps where the camera does not seem to stay still. It's just like the cameraman hand s are not steady. Was it my version or do you have the same problem?

ogutsarah

Post by ogutsarah » Feb 20th, '05, 05:51

Definitely dl this next!!!

apples

Post by apples » Feb 22nd, '05, 20:36

iceberri wrote:GAH!!! Ruroshin. :@ You're not supposed to point that out!! I had forgotten all about that scene actually, since it's been a while... heh. ~_____~ But I thought that scene was done rather effectively, considering I didn't roll my eyes. Perhaps it was because they were so close to the realization that it was something other than a lovey dovey secret. :P

Hmmm, people actually read my longass rants .. <cough> reviews? That's news. :blink
That scene was one of my favorites! It's true, they were very good at executing what is usually a typical scene. I was just too focused on holding back my tears as I see chaeohk and her brother suffer from remembering their past.

Lolz.. I read and reread your review.. It was short but straight to the point... if I haven't watched damo, i'd be curious to see what you're actually saying.

kalau

Post by kalau » Feb 25th, '05, 21:08

I'm almost done w/ Damo and like everyone says, it's a great! No your typical tragic-cancer-related deaths! That's a nice change for kdramas don't you think? But what I'm dying to figure out...and I'm surprised that no one mentioned it...maybe I might have misinterpreted something....but do I detect incest? :crazy: Or is it just me?

apples

Post by apples » Feb 26th, '05, 08:34

i'm easily disturbed by anything incestous. but on this one, i think they had a very good storyline that i almost cannot sense it.. actually, i wasn't bothered at all.

hompie

Post by hompie » Feb 28th, '05, 09:44

I liked this drama very much, except for the very tragic ending. Good acting and action and a very entertaining story. I could hardly wait to see the next episode.
Hope they make more like this one.

DarReNz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DarReNz » Feb 28th, '05, 10:52

man damo rocks .... been waiting to see an action series with suspense and romance as this proves love has no boundaries ...... whether they are siblings or lovers ....... the feelings are so real ..... it is after all fated to be ...... so i voted life-altering :wub:

calla

Post by calla » Mar 5th, '05, 09:56

I loved Damo. I felt the entire plot was put together extremely well and the ending was perfect. Great acting. Just one gripe - too many slow mo action scenes. If they'd let things flow a little more naturally, it would have been excellent.

Definitely two thumbs up, more if you counted my big toes :D

Thank goodness it's the weekend. I now look like a panda bear from the marathon session :mrgreen:

rel

Post by rel » Apr 15th, '05, 01:06

Best tv show.. drama i have watched.. ever, I loved it.

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » May 4th, '05, 04:42

I watched Damo last week, after a hiatus of watching any drama at all. I must say, this has been added to my list of Korean Drama Top Faves. I don't even like period stuff, but I found this one to be incredibly good. I thought it was well written and quite unique. It's not flawless though. I did have a few minor complaints but they weren't enough to kill enjoyment. They were:
spoiler wrote:
1) Chae-ok was oblivious to Sung-baek being her brother until the very last scene??? WTF? How dense could she be? I thought at the leper colony (sp?) and a couple other scenes that she had a pretty good clue. And even Sung-baek, he didn't know until Hwang-bo mentioned it? Come on. I don't like how she was said to be and claiming to be "falling in love" with him. Leave that out, she ends up being his sister. Ick. At least it wasn't so close to almost-incest like some other shows.

2) It dragged a little between eps 10 and 13 (roughly). Not too bad though.

3) The effects were kinda cheesy.

4) Sung-baek's bodyguard chick lived after being impaled by a sword when Chae-ok intercepted the bait letter and fought her? WTF?

Some people hate the ending but, I kinda liked it that way and expected it because of the scene shown at the beginning of the drama.

Oh yeah, and I found Hwang-bo to be TOTALLY SEXY! :wub: :sweat:

Jules

Post by Jules » May 4th, '05, 06:11

watched episode one.. i deleted episode 2 and 3 I have downloaded overnight..
I didnt really like it... cheesy fighting.. crouching tiger style.. and i dont like those scary mystery stuff... and all the special effects ruined it more.. Just me, dont flame ^^;

rel

Post by rel » May 4th, '05, 14:49

Jules wrote:watched episode one.. i deleted episode 2 and 3 I have downloaded overnight..
I didnt really like it... cheesy fighting.. crouching tiger style.. and i dont like those scary mystery stuff... and all the special effects ruined it more.. Just me, dont flame ^^;
If you want to watch a fighting film go watch a martial arts movie :p If you want to watch a great story action/conspiracy/romance then DAMO is it :p

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » May 4th, '05, 19:05

Jules wrote:watched episode one.. i deleted episode 2 and 3 I have downloaded overnight..
You probably should've given it another shot since a lot of the "cheesy fighting" dies down when the plotline actually unfolds. I wasn't a fan of the flying crouching tiger style either but I noticed they employed a lot less of that flying technique as an attention catcher once they set up the plotline. From there you just watch it for the heart-wrenching romance and conspiracy. :P

solitaire

absent english subtitle

Post by solitaire » May 8th, '05, 02:51

I've downloaded Damo episode 1 & 2

As indicated by the file name, they are supposed to be eng subtitled. But the downloaded files do not have an .srt file. And when played with real player, windows media player and the core media player. The english subtitle do not come out.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: absent english subtitle

Post by iceberri » May 8th, '05, 12:45

solitaire wrote:As indicated by the file name, they are supposed to be eng subtitled. But the downloaded files do not have an .srt file. And when played with real player, windows media player and the core media player. The english subtitle do not come out.
Damo is softsubbed, so you have to download the .srts separately. Refer to the two links below...
Damo Subtitles thread
How to play softsubs FAQ

apples

Post by apples » May 8th, '05, 15:33

neonkinpatsu wrote: Oh yeah, and I found Hwang-bo to be TOTALLY SEXY! :wub: :sweat:
:lol He is hot hot HOT in this drama. I think this is the first drama that got me obsessed with korean guys in traditional korean clothes (currently watching Dae Jang Geum 1). But Hwangboo still tops my list.

VietZeus

Post by VietZeus » May 24th, '05, 21:28

*spoiler*
Doesn't this drama promote incest relationship? (sibling love). I found it unreasonable for the two of them love each other just because they have the same blood (did not find out until the end)

I'm sure they love each other because they were attracted to each other. Science shows no evidences of seperated siblings to have that "invisible" love.

She reminded of his past and she shows him her great personality. She's increribly unselfish and she's damn good looking. Any guy would fall in love for that.

He is the "savior" of the people, who puts others lives before him. All of his doing were the right things and he never yeild to power or politics. A cool guy like that would make anywoman trap in love.

So the question lingering in my mind is: Did they love each other because they have that unconcious sibling love? I personally don't think so.

onoturtle
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by onoturtle » Jul 27th, '05, 10:24

i say "see it". i thought the ending was great. the last few eps were awesome. i dug the first two eps. but the eps in between had me almost snoring.

this is my first attempt into this period drama genre. so i dunno a thing about how the typical one goes. the first ep i was in action bliss. i'm an anime fan, so all the action had me thinking live action anime. i thought quite a lot of the action shots were cheesy as hell (i can't stand the fast-foward method to making them look fast). and yes, the action does get better as the series goes on, but that's not really what i love about this show. the second ep starting to dig into the main characters' pasts, that's what i find way more interesting, and i found that ep so great.

so why did i say i was really bored watching this series after that point till the last few eps? well, all the political, conspiracy, not so hot fighting, etc., etc. seemed to have most of the stage. i guess i wasn't interested in that stuff (oddly since i like the gundam anime series which delves into all kinds of politics) and was more interested in the relationships between ha jiwon, her commander, and the rebel leader, which was slowly developed throughout (so you can't just skip the middle and expect the end to be just as good). i was waiting for when the past events meets the present. and that's the final few episodes that i enjoyed very much. the ending makes up for those 8 or so boring eps. if those eps were better, i would've said "life altering".

sukyong

Confusing scene for me

Post by sukyong » Sep 30th, '05, 13:43

I just finished watching this series and I LOVED it. I think it's on the top of my list so far.

I was confused by one of the scenes, so I was wondering what your take on it was:

Spoiler:

In the scene after Chae Ok comes back from the cave with Jang Sang-Baek, she's obviously depressed. At one point after she confesses to HwangBo that she's in love with the rebel, he takes her outside and tests her - he asks her to kill him. She says she'll make it quick. When she actually goes to raise her sword - did she really mean to kill HwangBo or was she about to kill herself before Hwangbo stops her sword with his hands?

I have a hard time believing that she was willing to kill HwangBo - I mean she's loved him and served him all her life. But after watching the scene repeatedly, it doesn't seem like she was going to kill herself...so was it something similar to temporary insanity and she was actually willing to kill him?

After seeing it several times, I still can't decide what she was about to do. I'd appreciate your opinion on the scene.

ebony

Post by ebony » Dec 5th, '05, 16:17

ive just finiahed watching this and i really loved it, it was a totally different show to what i have seen before and i completly enjoyed it.

knuts

Re: Confusing scene for me

Post by knuts » Dec 5th, '05, 19:24

sukyong wrote:I just finished watching this series and I LOVED it. I think it's on the top of my list so far.

I was confused by one of the scenes, so I was wondering what your take on it was:

Spoiler:

In the scene after Chae Ok comes back from the cave with Jang Sang-Baek, she's obviously depressed. At one point after she confesses to HwangBo that she's in love with the rebel, he takes her outside and tests her - he asks her to kill him. She says she'll make it quick. When she actually goes to raise her sword - did she really mean to kill HwangBo or was she about to kill herself before Hwangbo stops her sword with his hands?

I have a hard time believing that she was willing to kill HwangBo - I mean she's loved him and served him all her life. But after watching the scene repeatedly, it doesn't seem like she was going to kill herself...so was it something similar to temporary insanity and she was actually willing to kill him?

After seeing it several times, I still can't decide what she was about to do. I'd appreciate your opinion on the scene.

This is what I think happened:
She was going to kill herself, so that is also why the Commander could let her go.
Could anyone please let me know what the words at the ending mean? I was going to buy this serie from YesAsia just to see the translation of those words, but it seems that they did not translate that either. So, please please please ...... :-(....now it is like the story of this serie is not finished yet for me. Your translation will be much appreciated. :-)

ballistic88

Post by ballistic88 » Dec 5th, '05, 20:15

I've never been too much into overly melodramatic shows, which is what most Korean dramas end up as, but...

SPOILER:
I must say that I really liked this series. The primary reason I bought it was because of Ha Ji-Won, and the fact that it had a great balance of plot as well as great action scenes. The ending to me was... complete. That's the best way I can put it in this case. I sincerely believe that even though it was at the very end, Chae Ohk finally realized and was able to 'separate' and/or define her love. It seemed to me that the way it ended was the only way it could have... what with the animosity between the two male leads, and the fact that neither of them is in the right, nor in the wrong, made things even more difficult. They both stood for what they believed in, and the methods they used varied but ultimately, it was for the good of the people they each loved. I was glad to see that she was able to sort out her feelings, last minute as it may be. This was as fulfilling as a tragedy gets short of a happy ending. In this case, the entire plot justified itself from beginning to end.
Last edited by ballistic88 on Dec 14th, '05, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

piggiez

Post by piggiez » Dec 11th, '05, 17:29

i need someone to seed this show... thank you... *i wanna watch it badly*

raspb3rry

Post by raspb3rry » Dec 12th, '05, 04:16

I'm one of the few which voted "STAY AWAY" lol. I didn't like the storyline at all, wasn't captivating to me. How can the brother fall in love with his own sister (or is it the other way around, I can't remember now), though he knows that they are blood related. That is pure incest!

nileey

Post by nileey » Dec 12th, '05, 08:30

I thought it was an interesting drama - although the ending was so sad....

i like the OST though....rate it 7.8 out of 10~

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Dec 12th, '05, 22:18

raspb3rry wrote:I'm one of the few which voted "STAY AWAY" lol. I didn't like the storyline at all, wasn't captivating to me. How can the brother fall in love with his own sister (or is it the other way around, I can't remember now), though he knows that they are blood related. That is pure incest!
Well, they didn't know they were brother and sister until the very end. Perhaps if they knew they'd get a totally different reaction.
Consider this: Hwangbo Yoon has been going MAD trying to kill Jang Sung Baek, if not for the King, then even more so for his personal feelings and jealousy because of Chae Ohk. At the end when he finds out Sung Baek is actually Jang Jae Mo (Chae Ohk/Jae Hui's brother) He won't even fight to kill him. I think other different circumstances had they known they were brother and sister they wouldn't have fallen for each other. It doesn't suit their personalities cuz even Sung Baek was about to sacrifice Chae-Ohk for the people. Gong back to watch the end, I was really upset that Hwangbo Yoon couldn't tell Sung Baek sooner that Chae-Ohk was Jae Hui... that's drama for ya.. lol. goddamn him and putting his emotions first. They coulda worked together and stopped that f-er Choi...

pc

Post by pc » Dec 30th, '05, 09:52

Has anyone seen the uncut version? Unfortunately those DVD's do not come with English subs...

And, knuts, what do you mean by the "words at the end" for which you need a translation? Are you referring to the words on the bottom right corner of the final scene after the zoom-out? The softsubs that I downloaded includes them, and are identical to the YesAsia DVD's that I eventually bought. Look again, and if for some reason you are still missing them, then let me know.

knuts

Post by knuts » Dec 30th, '05, 13:08

pc wrote:Has anyone seen the uncut version? Unfortunately those DVD's do not come with English subs...

And, knuts, what do you mean by the "words at the end" for which you need a translation? Are you referring to the words on the bottom right corner of the final scene after the zoom-out? The softsubs that I downloaded includes them, and are identical to the YesAsia DVD's that I eventually bought. Look again, and if for some reason you are still missing them, then let me know.
Thank you very much for your response, pc. Well, I have checked again the ending of ep 14 again,
and I see the translation now :scratch: . Really don't know why I did not see them before. Very strange. I have had to reinstall my pc in the meantime or was it because I did not have the right codec at the time? There is one version of subtitle, right? Anyway, doesn't matter now, I am glad it shows the translation now. Thank you very much.

I wanted to buy the YesAsia version too. And? Are you happy with it? Is it much different than the one here? Is it worth the money?

ballistic88

Post by ballistic88 » Dec 30th, '05, 20:14

knuts wrote:
pc wrote:Has anyone seen the uncut version? Unfortunately those DVD's do not come with English subs...

Thank you very much for your response, pc. Well, I have checked again the ending of ep 14 again,
and I see the translation now :scratch: . Really don't know why I did not see them before. Very strange. I have had to reinstall my pc in the meantime or was it because I did not have the right codec at the time? There is one version of subtitle, right? Anyway, doesn't matter now, I am glad it shows the translation now. Thank you very much.

I wanted to buy the YesAsia version too. And? Are you happy with it? Is it much different than the one here? Is it worth the money?
If I can throw in my two bits here... I bought the DVD set as well, and I must say, it is most definitely worth the money. Comes in a nice box/packaging, and it includes a booklet that goes over some of the cultural things prevalent during those times. It's a must for any fan of the series. I remember being pleasantly surprised as well, because I placed my order before lunch, and it was already in shipping status from YesAsia that very afternoon. As for the subtitles, I remember them being of high quality. That's usually the case whenever it's a YesAsia exclusive, which this drama is. Hope that helps! :mrgreen:

knuts

Post by knuts » Dec 30th, '05, 20:37

ballistic88 wrote:
If I can throw in my two bits here... I bought the DVD set as well, and I must say, it is most definitely worth the money. Comes in a nice box/packaging, and it includes a booklet that goes over some of the cultural things prevalent during those times. It's a must for any fan of the series. I remember being pleasantly surprised as well, because I placed my order before lunch, and it was already in shipping status from YesAsia that very afternoon. As for the subtitles, I remember them being of high quality. That's usually the case whenever it's a YesAsia exclusive, which this drama is. Hope that helps! :mrgreen:
OK, ballistic88, you have convinced me. That will be a treat to myself. You are not working for YesAsia by any chance, are you? :whistling:

pc

Post by pc » Dec 31st, '05, 10:14

One caveat regarding the YesAsia product: the video is what I call the "small screen" version, i.e. widescreen adapted for the regular 4:3 TV. In other words, you don't get the full quality potential of a DVD. The uncut (8 discs rather than 7) version, on the other hand, is a true anamorphic transfer, I hear. (I can go into what that means if you're interested, but for now I'll skip the details and just say that the YesAsia version has only about 360 lines worth of video content, while the uncut version has the full 480.) What I DO NOT know is whether the uncut version is also interlaced like the YesAsia version. (Hope not...) My understanding is that Damo was shot with HDTV in mind, so the original picture quality ought to be a lot better than the YesAsia version. I am hoping that the uncut version preserves more of this original quality in addition to the quantity.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my initial post, the uncut version has only Korean subtitles... (It's also more expensive.) I am hoping that I can translate the missing stuff with the aid of the already translated parts and the Korean subtitles that come with the uncut set. It's not that big of a deal for me, since even the YesAsia version, I ended up editing anyway. Don't get me wrong, the YesAsia version has very good English subtitles. But that does not mean there's no room for improvement. For example, at the end of EP12, the YesAsia version says: "A) You could have my body... that's for sure... B) but my heart... is already gone." I think a better translation for (B) is: "but my stolen heart... what can possibly take its place?” Even that is not really right, but I left it that way for the sake of brevity. (In subtitling, there's always this trade-off between brevity and fidelity...) Improving English subtitles to Korean movies and, to a lesser degree, dramas is a hobby of mine, you see. (My edits to Damo are fairly minor compared to some other stuff, e.g. the movie IL MARE.)

Anyway, I am hoping to get my hands on the uncut version very soon, so I'll probably post something after.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Dec 31st, '05, 10:55

Must Watch, even if you are not a fan of period dramas. It is more a story about love and loyalty to king and country. Great acting, great cast, great scenery and GREAT OST. Still love the series and songs more than 7 months later. I enjoyed the show so much, I still come back to seed occasionally.

knuts

Post by knuts » Jan 22nd, '06, 18:53

pc wrote:One caveat regarding the YesAsia product: the video is what I call the "small screen" version, i.e. widescreen adapted for the regular 4:3 TV. In other words, you don't get the full quality potential of a DVD. The uncut (8 discs rather than 7) version, on the other hand, is a true anamorphic transfer, I hear. (I can go into what that means if you're interested, but for now I'll skip the details and just say that the YesAsia version has only about 360 lines worth of video content, while the uncut version has the full 480.) What I DO NOT know is whether the uncut version is also interlaced like the YesAsia version. (Hope not...) My understanding is that Damo was shot with HDTV in mind, so the original picture quality ought to be a lot better than the YesAsia version. I am hoping that the uncut version preserves more of this original quality in addition to the quantity.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my initial post, the uncut version has only Korean subtitles... (It's also more expensive.) I am hoping that I can translate the missing stuff with the aid of the already translated parts and the Korean subtitles that come with the uncut set. It's not that big of a deal for me, since even the YesAsia version, I ended up editing anyway. Don't get me wrong, the YesAsia version has very good English subtitles. But that does not mean there's no room for improvement. For example, at the end of EP12, the YesAsia version says: "A) You could have my body... that's for sure... B) but my heart... is already gone." I think a better translation for (B) is: "but my stolen heart... what can possibly take its place?” Even that is not really right, but I left it that way for the sake of brevity. (In subtitling, there's always this trade-off between brevity and fidelity...) Improving English subtitles to Korean movies and, to a lesser degree, dramas is a hobby of mine, you see. (My edits to Damo are fairly minor compared to some other stuff, e.g. the movie IL MARE.)

Anyway, I am hoping to get my hands on the uncut version very soon, so I'll probably post something after.
wow, you can understand Korean? Sounds like you are really into getting the translations/subs right. Are your subs available on the internet?

Now you have mentioned the better uncut version, I want that one.. :cry: too bad it has no eng subs. As long as the quality (video, subs, story-wise) is high, I would not mind paying a bit more for it.

Hope the uncut version will be released with eng subs one day/soon.

tatsujin

annoying

Post by tatsujin » Mar 13th, '06, 22:44

Ok, late in the discussion, as always... but anyway.

This drama was, overall, very good. I'd categorize it as one of the better k-dramas.

However, as most people here, I'm a bit annoyed about the ending. But not for quite the same reasons discussed earlier in this thread:
1. Why did SangBaek kill HwangBo? Maybe he got angry because HwangBo could've killed ChaeOk with that knife throw, but come on, the guy was supposedly unmatched in all of Korea in skill! Something SangBaek knew, and even stated himself, twice. So that couldn't possibly be the reason... I've not actually come up with anything else plausible, so the question remains. Didn't make a lot of sense to me... other than deus ex machina. :glare:

2. I can somewhat understand why SangBaek "wanted" to die in the end. But why in the *heck* did he want ChaeOk to kill him and then let her know she just killed her long lost brother? To turn her life from disaster to worse, so she would kill herself too? (which she of course did) What a nice way to round off a family reunion...
But other than that it sure had some strong moments and I enjoyed it. :)

mitzy_t

Re: annoying

Post by mitzy_t » Apr 16th, '06, 17:27

I love this series...love it...love it...I cried for 5 hours straight and I am still crying...
I just want to reply to tatsujin questions:
tatsujin wrote:
1. Why did SangBaek kill HwangBo? Maybe he got angry because HwangBo could've killed ChaeOk with that knife throw, but come on, the guy was supposedly unmatched in all of Korea in skill! Something SangBaek knew, and even stated himself, twice. So that couldn't possibly be the reason... I've not actually come up with anything else plausible, so the question remains. Didn't make a lot of sense to me... other than deus ex machina. :glare:

2. I can somewhat understand why SangBaek "wanted" to die in the end. But why in the *heck* did he want ChaeOk to kill him and then let her know she just killed her long lost brother? To turn her life from disaster to worse, so she would kill herself too? (which she of course did) What a nice way to round off a family reunion...
But other than that it sure had some strong moments and I enjoyed it. :)
1. SangBeak killed Hwangbo because of the gold. As he said the gold is for his brothers blood. Hwangbo killing Choi caused Choi to lose all gold into the sea. So, SangBeak got mad about the lost gold.
2. He may not intend to tell her, but it may be the last thing in his mind.

Ebony_Hime

Damo *Spoiler Question*

Post by Ebony_Hime » Jun 2nd, '06, 04:12

*SPOILER*

Okay, I had to continue on without ep 6 and I am almost to ep14 and I am confused over the relationship with Cha Ok and hot rebel dude. Is he her bro or is he simply a guy who knew her bro? And is her feelings purely platonic adoration or romantic in nature?

skachild

Post by skachild » Jun 11th, '06, 13:03

i vote for Life-Altering :cheers: :cheers:
damn... this drama was out in 2003... how come i just noticed this drama now :doh: :doh:
but lucky me.. there still seedres for this drama huhu... :lol :lol :lol :P
just wondering, how is the viewers rating fot this drama...??? cannot find in in wiki.. more then 20% viewers..??

skachild

Post by skachild » Jun 15th, '06, 13:17

when did Jang Sung-Baek know that Chae-Ok was his sister..??? :blink

Yummy_Kiwi

Post by Yummy_Kiwi » Jun 27th, '06, 21:19

skachild wrote:when did Jang Sung-Baek know that Chae-Ok was his sister..??? :blink
Jang Sung-Baek finds out that Chae-Ohk is his sister in the very last episode. Hwangbo Yoon is the one who tells him.
[/spoiler]

dokbupgi

Post by dokbupgi » Jul 18th, '06, 16:39

i finally started to watch this series! saw 1 chapter and so far so good. beautiful scenery and the story seem to have some interesting developement. and the music arrangement is much better than some other k-drama e.g which star are u from, bali stories i saw recently. oh ya i'm still watching bali stories and realised both the girls are in damo too! and it seems that they also love rivals...

dokbupgi

Post by dokbupgi » Jul 28th, '06, 04:05

wanted to finish the series last night but.... i was watching chapter 12 and oh it was so heart-wrenching and i couldn't take it anymore.... :cry: I've to let my heart rest before moving on to the worse....

skachild

Post by skachild » Jul 28th, '06, 04:17

Yummy_Kiwi wrote:
skachild wrote:when did Jang Sung-Baek know that Chae-Ok was his sister..??? :blink
Jang Sung-Baek finds out that Chae-Ohk is his sister in the very last episode. Hwangbo Yoon is the one who tells him.
hoho.... yeah.. thanks alot.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

howzitboy

Post by howzitboy » Nov 19th, '06, 04:58

i just finished this show and omg, what a masterpiece! its one of the best dorama's ive seen (and ive seen alot). great cinematography, great acting, great action, great music, great story just everything was perfect. its a must must see show imho.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Mar 3rd, '07, 15:33

[img]http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3833/damodf0.jpg[/img]

I normally don't like period dramas but decided to give Damo a go anyway since there are so many positive reviews about it. Besides, it only weighs in at 14 episodes, so it's not too much of a heavy burden if it turned out to be less than what I expected. Thankfully, it was as good as what the reviewers have been raving on about, but there was one major deterrent which put me off what would've been a magnificent drama. I'll elaborate a bit later on.

You Are So Beautiful, To Me

After the first 2 episodes, one thing becomes glaringly obvious - Damo is visually stunning. The cinematography is breathtaking; everything was shot so beautifully. The locations, costumes and props were also very beautiful and thus far, Damo is the most aesthetically pleasing series I have ever seen.

The OST's another thing that's so beautiful because the songs were not played repeatedly like in other k-dramas and were only played at key emotional moments. There were however, a couple of electronic tracks which I felt didn't quite suit the period setting of Damo and was more suited to a series like The Nine-Tailed Fox. But that's just a minor gripe, especially since they were played less frequently towards the end.

Save The Best For Last

When I watch Korean dramas - or any drama for that matter - I prefer the final episode to be the best with the first episode being the 2nd best. Damo comes close to that, because the finale is definitely my favorite episode, and the 2nd episode would be my 2nd favorite. But besides those two fantastic episodes, I just can't really think of another one that was that good.

You see, the problem with Damo is that it's very hard to "get into". It could be just me, but it took a good 4 to 5 episodes for me to finally give Damo the respect and attention it deserves. There were just too many characters to get to know in the early stages and since most of the men looked almost the same, it can be very easy to feel lost and lose interest. But if you can hold on for those few sluggish episodes, you're in for a pretty good ride.....up until episode 12 that is.

*** WARNING: SPOILER & TABOO TOPIC DISCUSSED ***

You have been warned. Still here? Ok, let's get this out of the way.

I've only been around the korean drama scene for about 9 months, but it's been long enough for me to notice that korean dramas tend to glorify incestuous relationships. Now, I'm not sure about anyone else, but an intimate relationship between a parent and child - or in the case of Damo - a brother and sister, just doesn't quite appeal to me. In fact, I find it downright vulgar. I've tried to be open minded about it, but I don't see how an intimate relationship between siblings can be justified.

During the 2nd episode it became blatantly obvious that Chae-Ok and Sung-Baek were blood brothers and sister. What was not so obvious was how they felt for each other as the series progressed. Prior to episode 12, I had always thought their feelings was due to them subconsciously knowing they're long lost siblings and therefore loved each other in a brotherly/sisterly way. So it came as a huge shock to me when they both said "I love you" when they were stuck in that cave, and the way they both said it was definitely not the way siblings would've normally said it. I guess you could argue neither of them were aware that they were siblings (how could Chae-Ok not? Is she dense? Sung-Baek virtually plastered a "I AM YOUR BROTHER SIGN" on his forehead), but that's beside the point. The viewer was well aware of it early on, and to see a brother and sister declare their love for each other in that fashion just put me right off. Thankfully episode 14 was so good, and I could forgive...somewhat.

Overall

Damo is the most polished drama I've seen. It has beautiful cinematography, terrific acting (Ha Ji Won's best performance by far), an enthralling storyline and a lovely OST. It could've easily been an 8 or even 8.5 for me, but because of a slightly low-key start, and THAT issue I mentioned in the spoiler section, I can only give it a 7

twinkletwinkle

Post by twinkletwinkle » Mar 24th, '07, 07:41

i loved damo..it was a bit sad but i loved it...ha ji won was such a great actress in that drama...i was obsessed with it for a time

tannsx

Lee seo jin's acting in Damo is breathtaking!

Post by tannsx » Mar 26th, '07, 13:10

Even i knew before hand that Jang song bak is supposed to take the lead role in the drama. i couldn't help amazing in lee seo jin's acting...so powerful.it's not that others' acting aren't good enough or anything.everyone's done the best job.it's quite sad to learn its learn its ending now that i'm still on 13th episode.Damo is a must..unfortunately the version i'm on is in thai,i have to dl another version which has korean audio..must be terrfic though

tannsx

Lee seo jin's acting in Damo is breathtaking!

Post by tannsx » Mar 26th, '07, 13:11

Even i knew before hand that Jang song bak is supposed to take the lead role in the drama. i couldn't help amazing in lee seo jin's acting...so powerful.it's not that others' acting aren't good enough or anything.everyone's done the best job.it's quite sad to learn its learn its ending now that i'm still on 13th episode.Damo is a must..unfortunately the version i'm on is in thai,i have to dl another version which has korean audio..must be terrfic though

cj3209

Post by cj3209 » Oct 24th, '07, 08:33

Had a question below:
Not sure if this question has been answered but in the last episode (I think), Hwangbo tells Chae-Ok to kill him before they get shot at. My question is, does she actually try to kill him and he stops her or does he stop her from killing herself? I can't tell.
I like this series more after watching it again, btw. Although I think there are some parts that might be difficult for a 'western' mindset to understand - like why Hwangbo couldn't express his feelings for Chae-Ok.

CJ
:)

ohoud

Post by ohoud » Oct 24th, '07, 10:57

cj3209 wrote:Had a question below:
Not sure if this question has been answered but in the last episode (I think), Hwangbo tells Chae-Ok to kill him before they get shot at. My question is, does she actually try to kill him and he stops her or does he stop her from killing herself? I can't tell.
I like this series more after watching it again, btw. Although I think there are some parts that might be difficult for a 'western' mindset to understand - like why Hwangbo couldn't express his feelings for Chae-Ok.

CJ
He stops her from killing herself, she was determind to end her life..

What I understood from the Social clases in that time is that people who are not noble are barely considerd to be human. This is why I think she told him she wants to serve him to feel like a person, and this is why he told her in the end that he is ready to "Humble" himself to be with her..

simplyxmee

Post by simplyxmee » Nov 4th, '07, 02:21

definitely a "must watch" drama

latuongtu

Post by latuongtu » Feb 21st, '08, 21:20

cj3209 wrote:Had a question below:

CJ
This thread is pretty slow, eh?
This is one of my top 3 dramas of all time! It is such a sad drama, which is so unusual for me to have this on my favorite re-watch ! It is selfless love, ideals of a bigger cause than your own gratification, and class culture at its best!
I think Chae-Ok tried to kill herself, rather than answering Hwangbo's question directly, which is: 1. If she choose JSB then she could kills him and leave right then.
2. Or stays and be his wife (as he proposed in the tent-the timing is pretty a little off on my part) .

Chae-Ok answered indirectly by tried to kills herself, which admitted she chose JSB, but didn't want to kill Hwango, even though she did not want to be married to him .

bluebyul34

Post by bluebyul34 » Feb 25th, '08, 03:13

ooooh... this is one of my favorite dramas!! i watched it when it first came out... and then i think i rewatched it sometime last year....it's nice to know people are still enjoying it, i remember thinking the special effects and stuff were kinda cheesy when i rewatched it (but i mean, yearss of technology have passed) but STILLL it's one of those dramas that are heartwrenching (maybe the only drama that evoked such a feeling for me). . where it builds up so much emotion you feel you can't breathe and yet its so powerful you can't cry sort of feeling!! heeh i love damo :wub: