Why Europian Ladies Do Fangirling for Asian Idols

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 21st, '07, 19:45

let's talk about it here :P

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Oct 26th, '07, 06:43

haha but i have no idea!!!

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Oct 26th, '07, 07:06

My theory is that it's not the Asian men specifically that we like, but the forgotten quality that they seem to still posses. If you go back far enough you'll find in pretty much every culture the ideal of the beautiful and delicate male. If you look at art, the works depict many men as pretty and graceful not masculine. In history texts, ancient gods and note worthy figures were often described as beautiful not butch. It seems though that this natural instinct to prize what is pretty has slowly died away in western culture and thus the beautiful and effeminate male is now rare. Asia seems to be the only place where these men still thrive and those of us who are still in touch with the instinct to prize such delicacy are drawn into the world of pretty Asian men.

In short... we like the pretty.

Hmmm... you think I could write a philosophy paper on that? :lol

jO_O

Post by jO_O » Oct 26th, '07, 09:11

Why is the name of Brad Pitt - OR Tom Cruise OR Robert Redford OR many other non-asian (so non-effeminate !!) guys - known by (almost) every girl and woman in all the "industrialized countries" ? (at least those who have seen one of his/theirs movies)

Is Brad Pitt (OR any other guy mentionned above) a beautiful and delicate and effeminate male ? (the jaw alone is very viril/masculine, and what about the eyebrows and the nose and...)

Is there some "Asian Brad Pitt" who is somewhat beautiful and delicate and effeminate, and known and "workshiped" worldwide ?

Are there more european girls/women who prefers asian (male) idols then those who don't ?

My point is that the Europian Ladies who Do Fangirling for Asian Idols are not a significant part of the female population and they prefer skinny asian effeminate males because they do prefer them....maybe because they watched too many asian dramas or maybe they like the characters those "idols" portrayed, or maybe the prefer guys who look like pre-teen boys (like some men who prefer pre-teen girls/lolicon)

Sorry if i hurt some hardcore fans and if i appear to be a macho man, but some of those "male idols" do look like anorexic girls with a penis and no boobs ! (yea..it's maybe a little exaggerated but you see my point...i hope)
Last edited by jO_O on Oct 27th, '07, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

regregreg

Post by regregreg » Oct 26th, '07, 09:20

For the same reason why they like American and Europian idols, too... but don't ask me what that is. Anyway, I don't think that there's any European (or other) girl who only is a fan of Asian superstars. Those who tend to be obsessed with musicians/actors/etc are often "in love" with more guys at a time. So they can be all fangirlish about an Asian idol and also an American one...

I'm an European girl and I like some of the Asian stars but I also like European ones, American ones, etc... I don't prefer any of them. & I think most of the girls are like me.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Oct 26th, '07, 09:29

I also have to say that it saddens me a lot that every single Western man I've so far met in Korea has considered himself superior to Korean men simply because of the idea that in order to be a man, you need to have chest hair, never wear fashionable clothes and never wear purses (which, by the way, are incredibly useful and Western men for whom it is not acceptable to carry them really brought a considerable inconvenience upon themselves). A lot of these men also seem to think that just because they think they are more masculine than the local men, they are automatically going to be more attractive to just about every local girl (a big reason why I dislike hanging out with white men living in Korea - their egos have inflated to the size of Brazil due to their illusions about being so much better than Korean men). I highly doubt that if a considerable portion of Asian women (especially Japanese and Taiwanese women, where the "pretty-boy-syndrome" seems to be the most acceptable socially) didn't like their men looking like Asian male idols do, there would be any men save a few freaks aspiring to be pretty. It's a different culture and there are different standards.

I always found it astounding how Western men display such vehement hatred for pretty or effeminate man. I remember when Titanic came out, every single man I knew would joke about Leonardo diCaprio being gay just because he could have been perceived as a beautiful rather than a ruggedly handsome man. It's a very intolerant side of Western culture.

In my book, it's a good thing when different standards of beauty are accepted and none are looked down upon. I see no conflict in pretty and handsome men co-existing peacefully with each other, and each woman being free to have her own preference.

And I have to admit, a big reason why I like Korea is that, while a lot of men are very masculine, more feminine men are equally as socially accepted and are not generally resented by men belonging to the former category. Now if only Korea would develop equal tolerance for more tomboyish women....

Scottishlass

Post by Scottishlass » Oct 26th, '07, 09:47

I can only speak for myself as a European white girl ... I like dark and handsome/beautiful. I'm an absolute fan of Kimura Takuya, as a singer and actor and it doesn't hurt that he is beautiful. Not beautiful in the skinny girl with no boobs version but a very sultry, male kind of way. He is skinny but not too skinny, he has brown eyes, a beautiful face and a few muscles. No need to say that I look for similar in European men and only found it in actors like Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom, to name a few. Actors or idols like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise look good, but they could never made me fangirling them. No chance at all.

But then I know a lot of effimninate men, especially from the Goth scene where I have been since I have been 14 years old. The first guy I fell in love with was a Japanese exchange student in 9th grade, so my *obsession* for Asian males started at an early age and has nothing to do with too many Asian dramas or movies (even though nowadays I prefer to watch those rather than Western series and movies).

I guess it is preference, or in some cases I'm sure, just the feel of the exotic.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Oct 26th, '07, 09:51

^Absolutely agreed on Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom! Gorgeous men who know how to walk that fine line between masculinity and femininity that makes women so crazy.

M'chelle

Post by M'chelle » Oct 26th, '07, 10:41

for me it's because I'm attracted to them that's all

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Oct 26th, '07, 13:46

I would never call Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise manly. Robert Redford sure. But Brad Pitt's too pretty. I actually think he kind of falls into the edge of the category we are talking about.

And I totally agree with Néa Vanille. It's so sad how western culture has grown a phobia to such men.
It's funny because you would think people would notice that the femanine quality is widely apprishiated by women when movies like Lord ot the Rings comes out and tough manly Aragorn gets much love from the ladies. It's the prissy little elf boy, Legolas, that gets serious fangirls.

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 26th, '07, 14:10

Puppet Princess wrote:My theory is that it's not the Asian men specifically that we like, but the forgotten quality that they seem to still posses. If you go back far enough you'll find in pretty much every culture the ideal of the beautiful and delicate male. If you look at art, the works depict many men as pretty and graceful not masculine. In history texts, ancient gods and note worthy figures were often described as beautiful not butch. It seems though that this natural instinct to prize what is pretty has slowly died away in western culture and thus the beautiful and effeminate male is now rare. Asia seems to be the only place where these men still thrive and those of us who are still in touch with the instinct to prize such delicacy are drawn into the world of pretty Asian men.

In short... we like the pretty.

Hmmm... you think I could write a philosophy paper on that? :lol
yes you're right :D :thumright: good paragraph

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Oct 26th, '07, 14:11

hm what's wrong with that? it's like saying why asian women fan girl american stars.

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 26th, '07, 14:13

Néa Vanille wrote:I
I always found it astounding how Western men display such vehement hatred for pretty or effeminate man. I remember when Titanic came out, every single man I knew would joke about Leonardo diCaprio being gay just because he could have been perceived as a beautiful rather than a ruggedly handsome man. It's a very intolerant side of Western culture.
XD yes, that's right; when people see pretty boys they think that ones are gay. and when people see a few pretty boy together, they think ''that ones are surely gays'' XD

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 26th, '07, 14:25

Scottishlass wrote:I can only speak for myself as a European white girl ... I like dark and handsome/beautiful. I'm an absolute fan of Kimura Takuya, as a singer and actor and it doesn't hurt that he is beautiful. Not beautiful in the skinny girl with no boobs version but a very sultry, male kind of way. He is skinny but not too skinny, he has brown eyes, a beautiful face and a few muscles. No need to say that I look for similar in European men and only found it in actors like Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom, to name a few. Actors or idols like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise look good, but they could never made me fangirling them. No chance at all
i'm an eurasian white girl :D (Turk, you know) in my case recently i started to get interested in JE boybands, but i've never truly listened a boyband before. when i was in secondary(junior high) school american and english boybands were really popular, but i never liked them; i was just seeing a few posers who gain money from the girls that fights with their best friends for one little photo of them (boyband members).

guess that was the time that i choose not to consider myself as fan of anything and anyone :D i don't adore people, i respect people but not adore :D cause i think we're all equal, no one is superior, at that especially i was like '' why should i be their fan, let them to be my fan'' yes i was arrogant :D and am still little egoist.

but since i started to know JE boybands, i think like i may call myself as a fan, it's nothing bad actually :D i like asian people, especially japanese people. my ancestors came from asia,too :D

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 26th, '07, 14:28

melonyhappy wrote:hm what's wrong with that? it's like saying why asian women fan girl american stars.
it's nothing wrong :D i just felt like, let the people express their feeling. and my inpiration was:

''http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_52898_90.htm
Why Asian Women Don't Date Asian Men''

:D
i wrote that on the thread:
SP1CA wrote:actually, i should start a new thread as ''Why Europian Ladies Do Fangirling for Asian Idols'' XD

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 26th, '07, 14:29

i felt like saying; maybe asian women don't date asian males, there are lots of girls out who like them :D and the most attactive topic about that is ''asian idols'' :D they show the world that girls like asian males.

lichtrausch

Post by lichtrausch » Oct 26th, '07, 14:33

Néa Vanille wrote:^Absolutely agreed on Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom! Gorgeous men who know how to walk that fine line between masculinity and femininity that makes women so crazy.
Could you elaborate on this? What traits are "allowed" to be masculine and which ones may be feminine in order to walk this line? I find myself somewhere along this line but sometimes people mistake me for gay so I wonder if I crossed some line. :D
Actually...now that I think about it, it's always westerners who mistake me for gay...never East Asians. I think I'm doing something right. :P

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Oct 26th, '07, 15:55

jO_O wrote: My point is that the Europian Ladies who Do Fangirling for Asian Idols are not a significant part of the female population and they prefer skinny asian effeminate males because they do prefer them....
Well, most people's tastes are determined by the medias, and during a long time the standard was the macho man prototype hip hop and techno have vehiculed. So maybe the only way to find something else was to look in japan. But watching TV, adverts,etc... here in Europe, you can tell it's changing.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Oct 26th, '07, 18:00

Yes, I have been wondering why so many Western girls fangirl over Asian actors when I never see Asian males (including myself T_T ) is ever that popular to other race in real life.
20centuryboy wrote: Well, most people's tastes are determined by the medias, and during a long time the standard was the macho man prototype hip hop and techno have vehiculed. So maybe the only way to find something else was to look in japan. But watching TV, adverts,etc... here in Europe, you can tell it's changing.
I kind of agree. When's the last time anyone saw a pure cheesefest drama like HYD in American TV? :whistling:

I can totally understand why girls still fantasize of being treated like a princess by one of those rich pretty boys :roll

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Oct 26th, '07, 18:16

8thSin wrote:I can totally understand why girls still fantasize of being treated like a princess by one of those rich pretty boys :roll
But they better be careful not to have an eye burst by those spiky hair style... ouch

Can be dangerous to date mister hair-gel.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Oct 26th, '07, 19:03

20centuryboy wrote:But they better be careful not to have an eye burst by those spiky hair style... ouch

Can be dangerous to date mister hair-gel.
A true pretty boy has long hair so that's not a problem. :lol:

groink

Post by groink » Oct 26th, '07, 20:20

jO_O wrote:Sorry if i hurt some hardcore fans and if i appear to be a macho man, but some of those "male idols" do look like anorexic girls with a penis and no boobs ! (yea..it's maybe a little exaggerated but you see my point...i hope)
No apology needed. It is 100-percent TRUE.

--- groink

KoalaKachou

Post by KoalaKachou » Oct 28th, '07, 05:09

Ok I'm a white girl and to be honest I don't quite understand my infatuation either. It's no that I don't find asian men attractive. hell i see tonnes of attractive asian men (irl i'm talking about).

But the ones in Dramas are something else. When I start a drama I will hate most of the cast wonder how they ever had a modelling career and wonder why they are on my screen.

By the end of the Drama I want them all to have my babies. Case and point Matsumoto Jun. I have no idea why I now find him attractive but god damn it i want the tiny emaciated little man.

My theory is that the japanese government is putting subliminal messages to breed in these dramas in a last ditch effort to combat the declining birth rate. and we are simply getting caught in the cross-fire.

Oh and about dating asian guys in real life. Most white girls have got nothing against it its just that asian guys have got it in their heads that we don't like them and they don't ask.

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 28th, '07, 10:31

KoalaKachou wrote:
My theory is that the japanese government is putting subliminal messages to breed in these dramas in a last ditch effort to combat the declining birth rate. and we are simply getting caught in the cross-fire.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
KoalaKachou wrote:Oh and about dating asian guys in real life. Most white girls have got nothing against it its just that asian guys have got it in their heads that we don't like them and they don't ask
yes, you're right; also it's not just asian guys, there are many boys like these around.

Franczeska

Post by Franczeska » Oct 28th, '07, 10:54

Why is the name of Brad Pitt - OR Tom Cruise OR Robert Redford OR many other non-asian (so non-effeminate !!) guys - known by (almost) every girl and woman in all the "industrialized countries" ? (at least those who have seen one of his/theirs movies)
Well, the answer is pretty easy: While American film are played thoughout all cinemas world wide, Asian films just don't and that's that. Who in Europe knows an Asian actor by name? Nobody who's not particularly interested, but then agian, how many Asian films have been in the cinemas the last 10 years or so?

But of course it's not a majority of girls who fall for the beautiful and feminine, but I too think that standards are changing in that direction at least a litle bit. (Especially since pink T-shirts for guys are allowed.^^)

Speaking of myself (German)...I never liked the American prototype, I always considered non-white males atractive...not only skinny Asians, but for example also Indians and blacks...I don't know why really though...

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Oct 28th, '07, 14:17

^ It's probably because you like the exotic look since white people look too "normal".

Raspberry Latte

Post by Raspberry Latte » Oct 28th, '07, 21:01

OK, I'd like to say a few words too.
I am an American, I used to see all different types of men - White, Asian, Black, Hispanic, they don't look any exotic to me, just normal.
I really don't care about the looks of the actor. I too don't think a lot of the male leads in the dramas are super attractive or pretty or anything along these lines. It's not masculinity or presence or absence of a body hair, or whether they look "anorexic with pretty face", or fat with average or even ugly face.
It's how they treat girls in shows what attracts me. I would love to be in a place of all these girls, who are being protected and loved and cared for. Try to find American, or any other European movies or show, where the girl would be carried around on her boyfriend's back (or even NOT her boyfriend's, sometimes it's almost a stranger in many Asian dramas). Try to think of the American show or a movie (btw same in real life), when a girl has a fever and her boyfriend will sit by her bed all night (!!!) putting cold compress on her forehead? Pllllease, gimme a break. The most I could think of will be a phone call saying - hey, take some aspirin, don't be late for work tomorrow... On the other hand, most of these shows have at least a few fights with the "bad guys", when the "hero" steps in to protect the girl (and wins too!!)... So after watching a few shows with Matsumoto Jun, or Takuya Kimura, or Oguri Shun or Kim Jae Won, or So Ji Sub, or Vic Zhou or Mike He, or whoever else plays these men, they become that caring, loving, attentive but on the other hand the one who fights pretty good to protect the girl. In other words - the best from both worlds.
I also don't see anything wrong with the guy who knows how to dress. I know a few guys like that, and believe me, you will never mistake them for gay, they just look darn good (oh, and quite masculine too), and make you want to walk beside them.
So my point is - the actor becomes the hero he plays, and that's what attracts girls :)
Correct me if I'm wrong - I'd love to hear it.

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 28th, '07, 22:05

Raspberry Latte wrote:OK, I'd like to say a few words too.
I am an American, I used to see all different types of men - White, Asian, Black, Hispanic, they don't look any exotic to me, just normal.
I really don't care about the looks of the actor. I too don't think a lot of the male leads in the dramas are super attractive or pretty or anything along these lines. It's not masculinity or presence or absence of a body hair, or whether they look "anorexic with pretty face", or fat with average or even ugly face.
It's how they treat girls in shows what attracts me. I would love to be in a place of all these girls, who are being protected and loved and cared for. Try to find American, or any other European movies or show, where the girl would be carried around on her boyfriend's back (or even NOT her boyfriend's, sometimes it's almost a stranger in many Asian dramas). Try to think of the American show or a movie (btw same in real life), when a girl has a fever and her boyfriend will sit by her bed all night (!!!) putting cold compress on her forehead? Pllllease, gimme a break. The most I could think of will be a phone call saying - hey, take some aspirin, don't be late for work tomorrow... On the other hand, most of these shows have at least a few fights with the "bad guys", when the "hero" steps in to protect the girl (and wins too!!)... So after watching a few shows with Matsumoto Jun, or Takuya Kimura, or Oguri Shun or Kim Jae Won, or So Ji Sub, or Vic Zhou or Mike He, or whoever else plays these men, they become that caring, loving, attentive but on the other hand the one who fights pretty good to protect the girl. In other words - the best from both worlds.
I also don't see anything wrong with the guy who knows how to dress. I know a few guys like that, and believe me, you will never mistake them for gay, they just look darn good (oh, and quite masculine too), and make you want to walk beside them.
So my point is - the actor becomes the hero he plays, and that's what attracts girls :)
Correct me if I'm wrong - I'd love to hear it.
and i need to add something :D the funniest thing about it, when the actors have that kinda roles a few times, they started to believe that this ''hero'' character is their own character by nature XD i don't mean they're nice :D also that comment is not about the actors whose names are written above; it's just a general comment :D

jojochan

Post by jojochan » Oct 28th, '07, 23:01

I think Raspberry Latte is right :) wishing to be treated like a princess is a secret dream most girls chersih, and when you see that happening in Asian series it's easy to project that image onto the actors.
regarding the word exotic... it doesnt have to mean 'from another (more interesting) country'. In this case I think the word exotic could also be applied to that romantic, heroic behaviour. It's something we're not used to encoutering in daily life, hence we are attracted to it (who knows you might even get annoyed at a guy that won't leave you to yourself for one minute XD).

ikki_72

Post by ikki_72 » Oct 28th, '07, 23:29

Truth being said jojo. The thing is, in my opinion, we human desires something we don't have (like possesion but not limited too), not around etc. etc. Get what I mean. I'm not European girl so I'm not gonna comment any further :P

Corona

Post by Corona » Oct 28th, '07, 23:51

Maybe I like what I can't have? ;)

Anyway, bluntly said, this is just another source of hot looking chaps! It doesn't really matter what they originate from, but these dramas do specialize on giving you the "fangirl" fix I guess.

I certainly wouldn't mind Orlando Bloom in a drama :wub: Or a so called "manly" man like Richard Armitage (now here's a man who has a voice that can make you melt!)

Magalamb

Post by Magalamb » Oct 29th, '07, 00:29

Mmm... Richard Armitage. It's funny, but the only non-drama TV shows I really like at this point are Doctor Who and period dramas (like North and South, with the aforementioned Richard Armitage). The period dramas are the closest thing English speaking audiences have to asian dramas, and most women who enjoy watching a dampened Colin Firth (BBC P&P) or a conflicted Toby Stephens (the new Jane Eyre) often enjoy asian dramas. I got a number of my friends to stop telling me I was insane for watching dramas by showing one Goong and the other one Pride... they have the same kind of appeal.

And it really is the characters they play and not the men themselves (for me at least). I may love Halu in Pride, but that doesn't mean I'm obsessed with KimuTaku...

KoalaKachou

Post by KoalaKachou » Oct 29th, '07, 07:58

Rasberry Latte has good point. I guess it is just a continuation of disney princess syndrome. But I have to say I do find them attractive.

...and yet I don't find all of my male friends who carry me home or dote on me attractive. Although I guess none of them has protected my honour by beating up a gang of armed men yet. I'll judge after that.

And I also agree that white men can't dress.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Oct 29th, '07, 09:38

For me, it's not the Princess Syndrome. In fact, I find the way men are portrayed in dramas as unrealistic and a slight turn-off in dramas. That's why I don't like the really fluffy Asian dramas and prefer more mature and dark dramas.

I think for me, the way they look just appeals to me. I've always found that the combination of black hair and eyes with pale skin appeals to me, and for this reason I am also attracted to more white-skinned Latin men and some French men. The contrast of the hair and skin is beautiful. On top of that, I've become a big fan of slanty eyes with single eyelids. I don't know why. They just look sexy to me.

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 29th, '07, 10:22

Néa Vanille wrote: I've always found that the combination of black hair and eyes with pale skin appeals to me, and for this reason I am also attracted to more white-skinned Latin men and some French men. The contrast of the hair and skin is beautiful. On top of that, I've become a big fan of slanty eyes with single eyelids. I don't know why. They just look sexy to me.
XD dark hair+pale skin :thumright: XD same for me. but i think attitude is something important, too

Scottishlass

Post by Scottishlass » Oct 30th, '07, 00:04

I think for me it's a bit of both ... on one hand I'm attracted to dark and handsome and on the other hand it's the attitude. I worked in a Japanese company for a long time and while we didn't have a lot of direct exchange with our older Japanese bosses, we got those young male apprentices every other month. Over the last ten years those guys (in their mid to late 20's/early 30's) have hottened up quite a bit. They are taller than their bosses, have better cut suits and are charming to the hilt. And yet still have this innate politeness that their sempais show. You just feel very feminine in the company of an East Asian. Of course, I like that I have been raised in a Western country and I enjoy the liberties I have but sometimes, just sometimes it is just nice to *girly*. Even our 50+ office dragon is butter in the hands of those young salarymen. It's strange and almost inexplicable.
And I miss working there.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Oct 30th, '07, 00:14

to me asian guys are more attractive thats the way it is
and there is a certain trait that I cant name to be found in these idols personalities that you just dont find in the western world.
However after hoping away for years that they are really different I fear that they are the same. Boys are boys after all and Im finding asian boys to be somewhat the same in personality to others.
But that wont stop me loving the idols because I dont really know them, because i only see their publec face I can dream that they are different
But I wish they'd all stop smoking!

tisa

Post by tisa » Oct 30th, '07, 00:41

Normally I only like Asian idols but there are exceptions for example Colin Firth acting mr. Darcy in 'Pride and Prejudice', Johnny Depp in 'Edward Scissorhands' and so on.

They don't need to be Asian they just have to have sth special about them however I must say I still like Asian idols the best. They have sth special already because of their culture t.i. for example being respectful towards elder people and parents. Asian tradition can still be seen in the way they live their life today.

And I don't like muscular men and their ego. For a year or two I've only been interested in Asian entertainment and I don't think this will ever change.

However be it black, yellow or white in the end I only like men who are also traditional.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Oct 31st, '07, 09:12

Despite the fact that people are raised in drastically different cultures in the world which can strongly define such important things as public attitude, religious association, values, political beliefs etc. deep down, all humans in the world want and fear the very same things. For this reason, it's not that the "problems" of men, or humans in general, doesn't exist in Asians. It's merely that their human problems can manifest themselves in different ways.

Asian men don't have a perfect personality. From my completely subjective viewpoint of a woman interested in dating them, they are superior to Western men in some aspects of personality and inferior in others. I have not lived in Asia long enough to determine whether I'd give any of the two groups a general advantage in personality, but my suspicion is that, personality-wise, Western and Asian men's advantages and flaws balance out rather equally.

jocutus

Post by jocutus » Oct 31st, '07, 15:02

Why do I feel relieved? 8)

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Oct 31st, '07, 15:50

Reading this topic... what is the difference with "Why Western men (any western countries) fan over Asian actress particularly Japanese actresses?" It's just individual preference, right?
Last edited by AboutDrama on Oct 31st, '07, 16:05, edited 2 times in total.

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Oct 31st, '07, 16:00

Asian men don't have a perfect personality. From my completely subjective viewpoint of a woman interested in dating them, they are superior to Western men in some aspects of personality and inferior in others. I have not lived in Asia long enough to determine whether I'd give any of the two groups a general advantage in personality, but my suspicion is that, personality-wise, Western and Asian men's advantages and flaws balance out rather equally.
What I know of is Asian women have different standards in looking into men. The standards don't consider muscularity as priority but intelligence, characters ,capable of making money and how to treat a women are the standards of what Asian women consider. However, I'm only speaking as in general and from my observations and I have NO confirmation if I'm right.

But nowadays, due to the influence of western medias, I have seen trend of Asian actors start to build their body and look more "masculine" as what has portrayed by the western standard of being masculine.

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Oct 31st, '07, 18:15

AboutDrama wrote:Reading this topic... what is the difference with "Why Western men (any western countries) fan over Asian actress particularly Japanese actresses?" It's just individual preference, right?
SP1CA wrote:
melonyhappy wrote:hm what's wrong with that? it's like saying why asian women fan girl american stars.
it's nothing wrong :D i just felt like, let the people express their feeling. and my inpiration was:

''http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_52898_90.htm
Why Asian Women Don't Date Asian Men''

:D
i wrote that on the thread:
SP1CA wrote:actually, i should start a new thread as ''Why Europian Ladies Do Fangirling for Asian Idols'' XD

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Nov 2nd, '07, 13:33

i wasn't sure which thread to write this in but decided on this one
people talk about like the femininity of these asian boys and i just thought id mention that today i saw a model in a shop the was a boy but definatly feminine looking. Im talking manican model here. It had the high cheek bones and everything. Most manicans look the same as western ones but this one was definatly a feminin looking guy.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Nov 4th, '07, 04:16

Interesting topic and responses....but just like what AboutDrama wrote "it's just individual preference, right?"....yes, absolutely right.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Nov 4th, '07, 13:25

AboutDrama wrote:Reading this topic... what is the difference with "Why Western men (any western countries) fan over Asian actress particularly Japanese actresses?" It's just individual preference, right?
There is a difference. Asian women are generally regarded as very attractive by all ethnic backgrounds. You don't need to be into Asian dramas to be attracted to them. In fact, some of my western friends consider Asian women to be the most beautiful in the world and they don't even know Asian dramas exist.

As for Asian men.....honestly, only the die hard drama fans find them attractive :P

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 4th, '07, 14:05

Most women find genuinely hot Asian men attractive. I'm pretty sure that any hot Korean actor would pull chicks left and right if he lived in Europe.

The problem is, most European girls (at the very least where I am from) have never seen really hot Asian men before. Thus the idea never enters their mind and the average-joe Asians are too easily dismissed.

Edit: Since I've already said the very same thing in another thread, I'll make this post more interesting with this additional thought:

I think a very big reason why a lot of people are more attracted to Asian idols is because, looking at Hollywood, one major flaw presents itself. While men like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Johnny Depp may all be hot, the one reason why I can't fangirl over them like I can over Asian idols is because all three of them are now old, married or divorced and family fathers.

Asian idols, on the other hand, are pretty much all young, unmarried, childless and scandal-free (maybe they do have scandals - but I personally never read any and it seems to me like their private lifes are generally more private than that of Western stars). The idols that are older or married and with children don't really star in romance dramas/movies anymore.

Personally, that's a big reason why I prefer Asian actors and the Asian entertainment scene.

Noale

Post by Noale » Nov 4th, '07, 16:26

True. Fangirling over fourty year olds is not really my cup of tea. However, I do often find that when I look up the names of Asian actors, they're actually 27 year old, whereas they play 18 year olds in dramas and look like teenagers as well. That sometimes ruins it for me.

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Nov 4th, '07, 16:30

Néa Vanille wrote: Asian idols, on the other hand, are pretty much all young, unmarried, childless and scandal-free (maybe they do have scandals - but I personally never read any and it seems to me like their private lifes are generally more private than that of Western stars). The idols that are older or married and with children don't really star in romance dramas/movies anymore.

Personally, that's a big reason why I prefer Asian actors and the Asian entertainment scene.
in addition, asian idols seem more sincere to me than the others :wub:

SP1CA

Post by SP1CA » Nov 4th, '07, 16:31

Noale wrote: However, I do often find that when I look up the names of Asian actors, they're actually 27 year old, whereas they play 18 year olds in dramas and look like teenagers as well.
i started to think that asian people don't age after a common age :D

Noale

Post by Noale » Nov 4th, '07, 17:34

Yeah, many really don't seem to age after a certain common age - and before another one, because they always become old eventually. I don't quite know the reason for this. Perhaps they've got more fat in their faces, so wrinkles won't start appearing until later.

KoalaKachou

Post by KoalaKachou » Nov 5th, '07, 01:57

Its great that thy're all 22-27 when playing highschoolers... I don't feel quite so dirty. Has given me an unhealthy attraction to boys school uniforms though. (Resolves never to work in a High School).

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Nov 5th, '07, 02:06

Noale wrote:However, I do often find that when I look up the names of Asian actors, they're actually 27 year old, whereas they play 18 year olds in dramas and look like teenagers as well. That sometimes ruins it for me.
That's nothing special about Asian TV. That's all TV. I can name dozens of shows where people who are sooooo not teenagers played them on TV.... from several different countries not including Asia.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 5th, '07, 04:47

The OC, rofl. :lol

Noale

Post by Noale » Nov 5th, '07, 11:20

Puppet Princess wrote:
Noale wrote:However, I do often find that when I look up the names of Asian actors, they're actually 27 year old, whereas they play 18 year olds in dramas and look like teenagers as well. That sometimes ruins it for me.
That's nothing special about Asian TV. That's all TV. I can name dozens of shows where people who are sooooo not teenagers played them on TV.... from several different countries not including Asia.
Very true. Though for some reason Asian actors and actresses manage to convince me they're teenagers, because they look so young. And when watching the OC, One Tree Hill or something in that direction I find it easy to see that those "teenagers" are close to becoming thirty.