70s/80s Japanese Cop Shows and Melodramas

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
JMaruyama

70s/80s Japanese Cop Shows and Melodramas

Post by JMaruyama » Jan 29th, '07, 19:15

I was just curious to see if there are any fans of older Japanese TV drama series and shows especially the cop shows. I'm a huge fan of shows like "Taiyo Ni Hoero", "Seibu Keisatsu", "Playgirl", "Tokusou Saizensen" and "Dai Dokai". I also enjoy a lot of the 80's melodramas like "Stewardess Monogatari", the original "Ace O Nerae", and a lot of the Daiei TV dramas like "Ariesu Otome Tachi", "Yanesu No Kagami", "Furyou No Shojo
Tachi", and "Ponytail Wa Furi Mukenai".

While a lot of these have aired recently on Japanese cable channels like Family Geki and Toei Channel or have been released to DVD, I hardly see any posts or comments relating to these shows. Surely there are some fans of these outside of Japan.

groink

Re: 70s/80s Japanese Cop Shows and Melodramas

Post by groink » Jan 29th, '07, 23:12

JMaruyama wrote:I hardly see any posts or comments relating to these shows. Surely there are some fans of these outside of Japan.
It's not that people here aren't interested in the crime drama genre of Japanese dramas or 1970s/80s shows in general. It's that the community in general are more fanboys and fangirls. And as you can see, with the dramas you listed, none of them contain idols nor were they made after 2003.

As for myself, I was into Stewardess Monogatari, Abunai Deka and Hagure Keiji Junjoha. I'm currently into Aibo (watching the first season right now), as well as the many mystery theater shows like Onna to Mystery or Doyo Wide Gekijo. One of the shows I'm thinking of uploading is Himitsu no Deka-chan, which is a comedy/cop drama. I recorded onto two VHS tapes during the early 1980s, and I was able to rescue about a dozen or so of the episodes. We'll see...

--- groink

JMaruyama

Post by JMaruyama » Jan 30th, '07, 00:48

groink wrote: As for myself, I was into Stewardess Monogatari, Abunai Deka and Hagure Keiji Junjoha. I'm currently into Aibo (watching the first season right now), as well as the many mystery theater shows like Onna to Mystery or Doyo Wide Gekijo. One of the shows I'm thinking of uploading is Himitsu no Deka-chan, which is a comedy/cop drama. I recorded onto two VHS tapes during the early 1980s, and I was able to rescue about a dozen or so of the episodes. We'll see...
Hey Groink,

Thanks for the reply. Being an older fan (mid 30s) I grew up seeing a lot these 80s and 70s dramas when I was living and visiting Japan and really miss watching them. There's just something about hardboiled 70's/80's "Deka" (detective) dramas like "G-Men '75" and "Tantei Monogatari" that just isn't the same anymore, at least in Japan.

By coincidence, I'm also writing from Hawaii and am familiar with a lot of the shows you've mentioned as they aired on both NGN (the Japanese cable channel) and KIKU (the local Japanese TV station). It's too bad that KIKU doesn't show as many good programs now as they did before. I remember KIKU was showing a lot of interesting older shows in the 80s like "Tokusou Saizensen", "Yowake No Keiji", "Dai Tokai", "Mito Komon", "Oka Echizen", "Toyama No Kin San" and some other obscure 70s and 80s dramas for a time. Now unfortunately we've got just endless repeats of "Abarenbo Shogun", "Soko Ga Shiritai" and perhaps a few somewhat recent dramas. NGN isn't any better although they at least get programs like "Hey Hey Hey Music Champion", "I.Q. Sampling" and "Kage No Gundan" to keep people watching.

terence_hideyoshi

Post by terence_hideyoshi » Jan 30th, '07, 07:21

Hi ppl! I dunno whether is this the right thread for me to post here. I just wondering whether is it still possible to find the old drama called (I only know the english title) Under one Roof. I remember this drama has series 1 and series 2. Series 1 is abt the elder brother went around Japan to find his siblings and Series 2 is abt them getting along however one of his sisters was diagnos with cancer.

JMaruyama

Post by JMaruyama » Jan 30th, '07, 17:00

terence_hideyoshi wrote:Hi ppl! I dunno whether is this the right thread for me to post here. I just wondering whether is it still possible to find the old drama called (I only know the english title) Under one Roof. I remember this drama has series 1 and series 2. Series 1 is abt the elder brother went around Japan to find his siblings and Series 2 is abt them getting along however one of his sisters was diagnos with cancer.
I think you're referring to "Hitotsu Yane No Shita" with Eguchi Yosuke and Sakai Noriko (who I like a lot). This drama aired in 1993. I liked this drama series but it wasn't as good as "Tokyo Love Story" or "Sugao No Mamade" in my opinion. I think this was rebroadcast last year on NGN along with "Tokyo Love Story" and "Sugao..". I believe there's a HK VCD set but not sure if it's still available. You may need a put in a seed request as currently there are no torrents listed for this series. Sorry.

terence_hideyoshi

Post by terence_hideyoshi » Jan 31st, '07, 02:05

JMaruyama wrote:
terence_hideyoshi wrote:Hi ppl! I dunno whether is this the right thread for me to post here. I just wondering whether is it still possible to find the old drama called (I only know the english title) Under one Roof. I remember this drama has series 1 and series 2. Series 1 is abt the elder brother went around Japan to find his siblings and Series 2 is abt them getting along however one of his sisters was diagnos with cancer.
I think you're referring to "Hitotsu Yane No Shita" with Eguchi Yosuke and Sakai Noriko (who I like a lot). This drama aired in 1993. I liked this drama series but it wasn't as good as "Tokyo Love Story" or "Sugao No Mamade" in my opinion. I think this was rebroadcast last year on NGN along with "Tokyo Love Story" and "Sugao..". I believe there's a HK VCD set but not sure if it's still available. You may need a put in a seed request as currently there are no torrents listed for this series. Sorry.
Yup, that's the one. Thanks a lot. Well, if the seeds have long been dead, then I seriously dun wish to put up my request unless there is a group of ppl like me who want this drama. Coz I will be donwloading them at very slow speed which is not fair for the uploaders just to upload them for myself.

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jan 31st, '07, 02:29

groink wrote:
JMaruyama wrote:I hardly see any posts or comments relating to these shows. Surely there are some fans of these outside of Japan.
It's not that people here aren't interested in the crime drama genre of Japanese dramas or 1970s/80s shows in general. It's that the community in general are more fanboys and fangirls. And as you can see, with the dramas you listed, none of them contain idols nor were they made after 2003.
Which is frustrating because I'm one of those also interested in the older dramas and theater series. I'm enjoying what I get to see of current stuff (and especially what little I get to see that's more adult in theme and doesn't rely on idols, even without subtitles), but I'd also like to see more of jdrama's past history and more obscure stuff.
groink wrote:As for myself, I was into Stewardess Monogatari, Abunai Deka and Hagure Keiji Junjoha. I'm currently into Aibo (watching the first season right now), as well as the many mystery theater shows like Onna to Mystery or Doyo Wide Gekijo. One of the shows I'm thinking of uploading is Himitsu no Deka-chan, which is a comedy/cop drama. I recorded onto two VHS tapes during the early 1980s, and I was able to rescue about a dozen or so of the episodes. We'll see...
Why don't more of the theater shows get upped? I know Doyo Wide Gekijo is still around (or was recently) because an older actor I follow was in a couple of stories. I've never seen anything from that show and figure I'll never get to. Is it that no one captures them in the first place to make available or that they just don't get upped here?

groink

Post by groink » Jan 31st, '07, 03:32

toyotaku wrote:Why don't more of the theater shows get upped? I know Doyo Wide Gekijo is still around (or was recently) because an older actor I follow was in a couple of stories. I've never seen anything from that show and figure I'll never get to. Is it that no one captures them in the first place to make available or that they just don't get upped here?
Doyo Wide Gekijo comes in the form of Mystery Theater. At one time there were a dozen or so episodes of Mystery Theater uploaded on D-Addicts although all but just one disappeared.

--- groink

JMaruyama

Post by JMaruyama » Jan 31st, '07, 04:01

groink wrote:Doyo Wide Gekijo comes in the form of Mystery Theater. At one time there were a dozen or so episodes of Mystery Theater uploaded on D-Addicts although all but just one disappeared.
I used to watch the "Ka You Suspense" (Tuesday Suspense) and "Suuyou Kekijou" (Wednesday Theatre) mystery/murder dramas. These were a bit darker and more adult themed but were pretty interesting to watch. The ending theme songs for these drama series were pretty good (Iwasaki Hiromi sang a couple of the ending themes I think).

I'm not sure but I think there were drama anthology series that aired almost everyday of the week.

Inami

Post by Inami » Nov 16th, '07, 03:36

i know i am late to this conversation, but i too grew up in Japan when all those great 70's cop shows were playing. Wow, if i could only get my hands on some of them, i might have to get a second job and buy some of them. i hope to hear from some of you.

JMaruyama

Post by JMaruyama » Nov 16th, '07, 20:14

Inami wrote:i know i am late to this conversation, but i too grew up in Japan when all those great 70's cop shows were playing. Wow, if i could only get my hands on some of them, i might have to get a second job and buy some of them. i hope to hear from some of you.
Thanks for the response Inami. Glad to hear that you like Deka shows too.

A lot of these Cop shows are starting to get new life via satellite TV as well as through DVD release as seen with the recent "Tokusou Saizensen" box sets. Unfortunately it's expensive. A lot of these multiple volume DVD sets costs in the upper $100 range and are basically "best of compilations".

I'd be willing to trade copies of my collection with you or anyone else who has J-Dorama or movies to offer. I don't have complete sets of the Deka shows (these series run in the 100s of episodes) but I do have a lot of episodes for series like "Playgirl", "Hangman", "Seibu Keisatsu", "Taiyo Ni Hoero", "Tokusou Saizensen", 'G-Men '75", and "Tokusou Saizensen". A lot are from Japanese satellite TV but some like "Playgirl" and "Tokusou Saizensen" I actually have the DVD sets.

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Nov 24th, '07, 13:19

JMaruyama wrote:I think you're referring to "Hitotsu Yane No Shita" with Eguchi Yosuke and Sakai Noriko (who I like a lot). This drama aired in 1993. I liked this drama series but it wasn't as good as "Tokyo Love Story" or "Sugao No Mamade" in my opinion. I think this was rebroadcast last year on NGN along with "Tokyo Love Story" and "Sugao..". I believe there's a HK VCD set but not sure if it's still available.
I loved Tokyo Love Story and Sugao no Mama de (too bad I can't find myself a copy of the drama :( ) and other 90's jdramas. As for the 70's and 80's dramas, I remember someone upload episodes of Abunai Deka, Aitsu Ga Trouble and Swan no Namida, but both are incomplete since the uploader didn't see too much interest in continuing these series when there's a flood of mediocre dramas coming out every season, overshadowing them.

I would love to see more variety of 70's, 80's and 90's jdramas here on D-Addicts, regardless of genre because "enough is enough, it's time for a change".

P.S. It's a good thing that someone is at least uploading Akai Unmei :-)

P.S.S If you want to trade with someone, you might want to get in contact with the person running this site:

Code: Select all

http://mewfdojins.com/Dorama/DoramaHome.htm

JMaruyama

Post by JMaruyama » Nov 24th, '07, 19:04

yt_toshi wrote: I loved Tokyo Love Story and Sugao no Mama de (too bad I can't find myself a copy of the drama :( ) and other 90's jdramas. As for the 70's and 80's dramas, I remember someone upload episodes of Abunai Deka, Aitsu Ga Trouble and Swan no Namida, but both are incomplete since the uploader didn't see too much interest in continuing these series when there's a flood of mediocre dramas coming out every season, overshadowing them.

I would love to see more variety of 70's, 80's and 90's jdramas here on D-Addicts, regardless of genre because "enough is enough, it's time for a change".

P.S.S If you want to trade with someone, you might want to get in contact with the person running this site:

http://mewfdojins.com/Dorama/DoramaHome.htm
Hey YT_Toshi,

Thanks for your response. I'm glad that there are other fans of 80s/90s drama here in the forums. I actually know Mieko/Mewfy, who is the webmaster of that Mewfy Dorama page but I didn't think he was the webmaster of D-Addicts as well. He posted a few 80s drama episodes in the past but stopped doing so due to low response/interest. I've traded with him before but he has since "disappeared" and I haven't been able to contact him for a while. He did try to get up a 80's dorama thread but it hasn't been updated:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_22647_0.htm
I'd be interested in reviving the 80s dorama thread but I wonder if there would be any interest. There are so many cool dramas and variety programs from the 80s/90s like "Star Tanjou", 'Mama Wa Idol", 'School Wars", 'The Best Ten", "Youru No Hit Studio", 'Owarae Manga Dojo", "Yuyake Nyan Nyan", '"Taiyo Ni Hoerou" etc.

Printo screenki

Post by Printo screenki » Jul 24th, '08, 07:52

I remember Doyo Wide Gekijo! That was my most favorite of all the shows my mom used to watch. Never really knew if i was saying it correctly though...I can do without Japanese love stories. But the other one she was really into was the program with the tatooed guy...always showing one arm. (i think he was supposed to be a cop of some sort) Anyone know where one could download some episodes of doyo wide gekijo?

groink

Post by groink » Jul 24th, '08, 08:30

Printo screenki wrote:Anyone know where one could download some episodes of doyo wide gekijo?
Unfortunately, only the first twelve episodes* of Doyo Wide Gekijo televised on KIKU were ever made available on the Internet, via Usenet (under the name "Mystery Theater".) I can't remember who uploaded the episodes to Usenet. Later, I believe ap or someone else made them available on D-Addicts. But I can't find them on the tracker - as hundreds of torrents were pruned because of inactivity when Ruroshin used to do that sort of thing with the torrents. On JDorama.com, there was a guy who once ran a distro service, and these twelve episodes were available. In short, many people here have these episodes.

As for the rest... After the first twelve were televised by KIKU, then the breakup of KIKU/JNP occurred, which caused massive confusion at the TV station, thereby delaying several of their subbing efforts - including Mystery Theater. To cover itself, KIKU started re-running the twelve episodes. After awhile, KIKU started subbing further episodes, starting at episode 13*. But by then, whoever was uploading the episodes to Usenet gave up on KIKU and went onto other things.

As for what KIKU actually aired, I personally recorded every Doyo Wide Gekijo KIKU aired, which came out to 52 episodes. KIKU then switched away from Doyo and started televising TBS' Monday Night Mystery Theater, under the same "Mystery Theater" moniker. Same exact themes and format, but brand new storylines. And a whole bunch of those TBS episodes aired. I recorded the first four episodes of this run, and then stopped.

Right now, KIKU is re-running Doyo Wide Gekijo episodes Wednesday nights.

--- groink

* - To avoid further confusion, the way these episodes were numbered aren't actually official. But for tracking purposes, we numbered these episodes ourselves. The official Doyo web site doesn't keep track of back episodes, which would've been nice as I would've loved to track the episodes by airing date. But no such luck!

Printo screenki

groink, thx for the reply!

Post by Printo screenki » Jul 28th, '08, 04:45

Btw, does the other show ring a bell at all? The one with a guy exposing half his torso along with arms covered on yakusa-type tatoos. His hair-style was in shogun fashion, his attire as well (kimono).

Printo screenki

Post by Printo screenki » Jul 28th, '08, 05:44

Ooops nevermind, just went to your site. I believe it was Abarenbo Shogun

JJ0234

Japanese TV Drama in the late 70s or early 80s

Post by JJ0234 » Jul 12th, '13, 22:17

Hi

Does anyone know the name of a Japanese TV drama about the story of 3 men who went through life's struggles together like brothers. "i think the song starts with "Tada omae wa...

Another song of this drama starts like this "yume no saga michi wo....

Really appreciate if anyone can assist.

danburi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by danburi » Jul 13th, '13, 00:51

rootabega

Post by rootabega » Jul 17th, '13, 00:53

I can't believe the most famous "Japanese" detective series of the 70s/80s hasn't been mentioned yet - Columbo! :D
Ba-doom-tish! Please don't hurt me, folks.:mrgreen:
I am obsessed with hard-boiled detective themes in print and film. The most recent Japanese ones I've seen that lay claim to this genre have been rubbish, imho.
I hope I can see some of the series mentioned above one day.

PannenkoekenNL

Post by PannenkoekenNL » Jan 3rd, '19, 22:12

Anyone has any English subtitled recordings of these old cop shows from KIKU/NGN etc?

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Jan 7th, '19, 22:35

I'd really like to rewatch some old ones like Glass Kutsu starring Noriko Kato or the ones with Norika Fujiwara.

JackBauer2424

Re:

Post by JackBauer2424 » Jan 7th, '19, 22:37

rootabega wrote: Jul 17th, '13, 00:53 I can't believe the most famous "Japanese" detective series of the 70s/80s hasn't been mentioned yet - Columbo! :D
Ba-doom-tish! Please don't hurt me, folks.:mrgreen:
I am obsessed with hard-boiled detective themes in print and film. The most recent Japanese ones I've seen that lay claim to this genre have been rubbish, imho.
I hope I can see some of the series mentioned above one day.
I wouldn't mind watching a marathon of that one something Ninzaburo starring the older actor from Concerto and Jinbe.

JackBauer2424

Re: Japanese TV Drama in the late 70s or early 80s

Post by JackBauer2424 » Jan 7th, '19, 22:38

JJ0234 wrote: Jul 12th, '13, 22:17 Hi

Does anyone know the name of a Japanese TV drama about the story of 3 men who went through life's struggles together like brothers. "i think the song starts with "Tada omae wa...

3 Swordsmen (Sanbiki Ga Kiru)?

flexer

Re: Japanese TV Drama in the late 70s or early 80s

Post by flexer » Aug 17th, '21, 08:07

JackBauer2424 wrote: Jan 7th, '19, 22:38
JJ0234 wrote: Jul 12th, '13, 22:17 Hi

3 Swordsmen (Sanbiki Ga Kiru)?
Ever subbed?? :pale:

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 17th, '21, 08:28

@flexer
Welcome viewtopic.php?f=2&t=165447