My Name is Kim Sam-Soon (MBC, 2005)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
veracious

Post by veracious » Feb 8th, '07, 19:15

anhnie wrote: I think overall, you just have to view this series as light-hearted comedy that lets normal women relate to the main character. Sam soon represented alot of average women in that we all dont have great figures and perfect love lives. But she never stopped dreaming and working for what she wanted, and even till the end, it shows that there is no guaranteed happy ending in life, but she'll keep trying.
This totally sums up My Lovely Sam Soon in my view, well put! I loved the realistic characters and especially Sam Soon, insecure but strong and knows what she wants from life. Loved her.

Daniel Henney's character was a darling, too, so I ended up liking Henry/Hee-jin romance as well. Overall really excellently made drama, especially in terms of it being shot and the music - excellent! Oh and naturally acting. :D

RainsGirl44

Post by RainsGirl44 » Feb 13th, '07, 02:31

This drama was absolutely amazing! I just finished it, and i am astounded with how attached i came to be with the characters and how sad i was to see it end. But, all in all, absolutely terrific drama!!! Perfect for beginners to watch and start off with - its nice and lighthearted - or a veteran who doesn't feel like watching one where both main characters die horrifically in the end (thats why i watched it - i heard it was cute and a nice break from all the sad dramas - but it turned out to be incredibly deep and thought-provoking at times too!)

I was so impressed with Kim Sun Ah, Hyun Bin, Daniel Henney, and Jeong Ryeo Won' sacting. The four leads did an incredible job with their characters. The music was also beautiful - I have the whole soundtrack on my ipod!!

two thumbs WAY, WAY UP for this drama!! :D

quick question: does anyone know what this picture is, because i never saw it in the drama, and ive seen the entire thing. but it looks so clear, like a screencap. does anyone know? *SPOILER WARNING* (even tho this never happens in the drama as far as i know u might not want to look if u havent finished...thats all im gonna say.)
[/img]

veracious

Post by veracious » Feb 14th, '07, 10:30

RainsGirl, that was probably
an alternative shot to the picture Sam-soon had in the fantasy segment where they showed a picture of her, Jin Hun and their "three kids" and then her own patisserie (sp?) and then Sam-soon narrates, "Nah, this is all just a fantasy... but things are fine now even if this isn't real." (paraphrasing)

RainsGirl44

Post by RainsGirl44 » Feb 15th, '07, 02:11

OOOH! I remember that now. Thanks a lot! That was bothering me lol. i saw the pic and my first thoughts were "AWW SO CUTE....wait, when did that happen?!" ^^

nochan

Post by nochan » Feb 18th, '07, 13:53

I really want to watch this drama, but I can't find a place to download it. Please help me!!

RainsGirl44

Post by RainsGirl44 » Feb 18th, '07, 18:31

youtube has several people who've uploaded it. just search there and you're sure to find someone.

oh, and sometimes the video doesnt match up with the sound. when that happens just watch someone else's upload of the episode and it usually works out fine.

have fun with that drama! its amazing :)

tsutsujivn

Pls help!!!!

Post by tsutsujivn » Feb 22nd, '07, 08:57

hi thee, could you guys show me how to download again MNIKSS? I'm so sad that I couldn't find it out by searching in torrent :-( R the links dead now?
Why the hell our beloved drama links died?

junior_pansy

Post by junior_pansy » Feb 22nd, '07, 15:55

Sam Soon has made plain and fat beautiful....

:cheers:

junior_pansy

Post by junior_pansy » Feb 22nd, '07, 16:06

I've watched this drama at least 5 times and each time I fall in love with it all over again.

Sam Soon has re-defined being fat and plain is simply BEAUTIFUL...

:cheers:

nochan

Post by nochan » Feb 23rd, '07, 07:00

i just finished watching sam soon. it's such a great show. I cried and laughed. it's sooo good. thanks for telling me how i could watch it. it's definitely one of my top 3 now!!

lénou

Post by lénou » Mar 6th, '07, 18:45

hello everyone, that's my first post her eon d-addicts and i think it will be not the last!

i'm in this section because i've a problem...i've watched the 1st part of this drama, and i realy enjoyed it since the start! but i can't find the next parts...can someone tell me where i can get it? because i wrote "my name is kim sam soon" or "my lovely kim sam soon" in the torrent section and there was nothing!!! i'm so espair right now... i realy realy want to sse them!!
so if you got some information...links...torrent just give me it please please please!
if there are the english sub it will be better....
please!!!
thanks U everyone!

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Mar 6th, '07, 18:55

lénou wrote:can someone tell me where i can get it? because i wrote "my name is kim sam soon" or "my lovely kim sam soon" in the torrent section and there was nothing!!! i'm so despair right now... i really really want to see them!!
You can watch it on aznv.tv (gosh, I feel like a personal spoke-person for that site :P ), streaming though, no download. Samsoon was taken off the torrent list here on d-addicts in request from the people that made it.

altessa

Post by altessa » Mar 7th, '07, 17:12

Aaah, this is quite an old drama by now, isn't it?
But I've only just begun to watch it!
I've just finished episode 12 and I can't wait to finish the last few episodes! :D

lénou

Post by lénou » Mar 7th, '07, 18:51

princess_jime wrote: You can watch it on aznv.tv (gosh, I feel like a personal spoke-person for that site :P ), streaming though, no download. Samsoon was taken off the torrent list here on d-addicts in request from the people that made it.
thank U ^^ buton the aznv.tv, the episode are with sub?
ooh you mean the director of kim sam soon doesnt' want that d-addict put the drama on the website....arf...

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Mar 7th, '07, 19:12

Yes, it's subbed in english there. By the way: you have to download/install the latest winamp (if you don't have it already) and watch the episodes streamed with that program :D
About the other topic: all licensed k-dramas that are available for sale on DVD have been taken off the torrent download list here, Samsoon is just one of many :cry:
Oh well.

lénou

Post by lénou » Mar 8th, '07, 10:35

princess_jime wrote: About the other topic: all licensed k-dramas that are available for sale on DVD have been taken off the torrent download list here, Samsoon is just one of many :cry:
Oh well.
snif...so sad...but thanks to you i can watch them on aznv.tv! so happy thanks, i run dl winamp!!!

jest2

Post by jest2 » Mar 20th, '07, 11:59

I know it's an older drama but I finished watching this over the Christmas / New Year break.
I rather enjoyed it! I saw this straight after Full House and this was much more enjoyable.

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » Mar 20th, '07, 14:11

this drama rocks!! and the best part is is... the characters are reaLLy good Looking.. :thumleft:

cinsin

Post by cinsin » Mar 27th, '07, 04:34

This has to be one of my favourite kdramas.

I was a little reluctant to watch it though but everyone was raving about how hot Hyun Bin was :D

The first episode was definitely a bore though, but the characters grow through each episode and Sam Soon is just so realistic and adorable.

Too bad the torrents have been taken off due to the licensing :(

sn0flake

Post by sn0flake » Mar 27th, '07, 04:50

gosh, i noe this is an old drama by now, but i was refusing to watch this drama at first cos the stars din look that hot, but upon my friends heavy persuasion i decided to watch it and im stuck on it now. hyun bin is soooooooo hot, i really love how bad tempered he is, and how nice he is at heart but mean in actions >.<

persia98

Post by persia98 » Mar 30th, '07, 21:00

i just finished watching the first epi pretty cutee but the guy is SSSSSSOOOOOOOO HHHHOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

beertax

Post by beertax » Apr 13th, '07, 03:32

I just watched this series. It's really funny and its got a great story. However, I just can't get over the fact that Sam Shik wuld pick Sam Soon over Hwi Jin (Jung Ruw Won?). Both the latter's charm and backstory are far more compelling than those of Sam Soon. The series could have ended with Sam Shik ending up with Hwi Jin and Sam Soon learning another lesson about life, and it would have been a fine ending that way, imho.

Yes, I am a fan of Jung Ruw Won. I watched both Autumn Shower and What Star Are You from, both 16 part miniseries starring JRW. I think she is a fantastiv actress and she did a fine job in Kim sam Soon :)

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Apr 13th, '07, 16:03

beertax wrote: However, I just can't get over the fact that Sam Shik wuld pick Sam Soon over Hwi Jin (Jung Ruw Won?).
[50 Things You Can Learn From a Korean Drama]

1) Hot, rich, younger men love fat, older vulgar women.

Here endeth the lesson :P

uniquo

Post by uniquo » Apr 22nd, '07, 04:48

where can i dl the series from now? any cbs offering it?

ta

oruke

Post by oruke » Sep 20th, '07, 21:45

you can find it here : http://clubbox.co.kr/orusagi ^^

cloudNINE.

Post by cloudNINE. » Sep 21st, '07, 15:39

I love this drama so far. I'm still getting through 12 and I'm looking forward to the ending. =]

JlovesVan

sam soon

Post by JlovesVan » Oct 17th, '07, 17:29

I broke down and bought the box set before watching this series because of the rave reviews, and so far (I am on epi 9) I can't say enough good things about it. The guys are hot hot hot and so far I love most of the acting. My only complaint is the cheesy poor acting job (so far) of Daniel Henney. He's hot, and I realize that if you don't speak english and are only getting the subs he's probably fine but as an english speaking watcher yikes!!! My husband and I were watching and it just felt so painful. Please tell me his role gets better as the story progresses....everyone else is just plain adorable though, great chemistry!

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Oct 21st, '07, 15:54

I finished Sam-Soon some month ago.. and I liked it.. not as good as My Girl though 8)
and only now I found this 1 hour special from mbc... does anybody know, if there are subs for this special?

nerwen

Post by nerwen » Oct 22nd, '07, 22:11

I started to watch this dorama a couple of days ago...and I must say that I LOVE IT. It's amazingly funny! XD
Kim Sun Ah is one of the best asian actresses I've seen. I adore her...she's so much fun. And she has a great chemistry with Hyun Bin... *3*

Is there an "special" program? :w00t:
I'll watch it as soon as I finish the dorama...I hope there's some subs somewhere.
Thanks for the data! :thumright:

Dird

Post by Dird » Nov 22nd, '07, 21:18

hi does any have a copy of the chinese subtitles? my friend cant read english well enough to watch them. if you have some could you possibly label them eps 1-16 in english if theyre written in chinese =)

thanks

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Dec 2nd, '07, 18:34

For all lovers (and haters) of My Name Is Kim Sam Soon:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... o-sam-soon

WATCH THIS.

This episode of NonStop5 is just about the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life.
My favorite part is Tablo *insert fangirly scream here* playing Daniel Henney's character.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Dec 3rd, '07, 15:03

LOL that was hilarious. Thanks for the link :)

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Dec 6th, '07, 11:53

I would like to ask what the name of the song the staff (the bearded young guy and a female worker together) at the restaurant was dancing to is. I heard the same song in "Sweet 18".

yenchan69

Post by yenchan69 » Dec 18th, '07, 21:21

Just finished watching this drama, LOVED IT! but I have a question...what was the big deal with her name that she did not like it and wanted to change it? It seems to be obvious to the other Koreans in the drama what the problem with it was but since I don't know Korean...ccould someone explain?

Thank you so MUCH! :D!

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Dec 19th, '07, 21:02

"Kim Sam Soon" means "Third Daughter of the Kim Family", or something like that. It was mentioned many times in the series.

yenchan69

Post by yenchan69 » Dec 19th, '07, 21:33

Hitokiri_Johndoesai wrote:"Kim Sam Soon" means "Third Daughter of the Kim Family", or something like that. It was mentioned many times in the series.
Ohhhh! I did see many references to Third daughter and Second Daughter, but I had no idea that it was related to her actual name!! Thanks for clearing that up!!

So she's objecting to the lack of originality or something? And the name she DID want, did it have a special significance?

thanks for your reply!!

BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » Dec 20th, '07, 08:33

yenchan69 wrote:
Hitokiri_Johndoesai wrote:"Kim Sam Soon" means "Third Daughter of the Kim Family", or something like that. It was mentioned many times in the series.
Ohhhh! I did see many references to Third daughter and Second Daughter, but I had no idea that it was related to her actual name!! Thanks for clearing that up!!

So she's objecting to the lack of originality or something? And the name she DID want, did it have a special significance?

thanks for your reply!!
i think sam soon is an old name that no one uses anymore
and sam soon is not very easy to say for koreans
that's why she didn't like it.

as for the name she wanted..
it was her piano teacher's name

belleza

Post by belleza » Dec 20th, '07, 20:04

Speaking of that
Sun Ah was a piano major when she went to university in the States (Boise, Idaho.) So it's likely that this was written into the show.

neuhikari

Post by neuhikari » May 5th, '08, 07:07

i liked this drama very much. It's funny and about cooking I really loved the cakes that's were made by Kim sam soon. and the plot was interesting. and the most interesting thing was that she met her deceased father numerous times. :wub:

nathaly4u7

^^

Post by nathaly4u7 » Jul 20th, '08, 17:34

I love this drama!

Das_Phantom

Post by Das_Phantom » Jan 30th, '09, 23:20

Very old show, but i just finished it. It's the second drama i've watched, the first being my boss, my hero

I really enjoyed watching this show. Sam Shik and Sam Soon's love developing was great to watch(the pig haha) and seeing Sam Soon getting over her fears......

Let's love like we've never been hurt before
Let's dance like no one is praising us
Let's love like we've never been hurt before
Let's sing like no one else is listening to us
Let's work like we don't need money for it
Let's live like everyday is doomsday

haha, also the countless hilarious moments in this show. When Sam Soon's mum was interrogating Sam Shik and then they all went Karaoke. The toilet scene with the 'what blood type are you' and a ton of moments between Sam Soon and Sam Shik.

Though the secretary and the Head Chef(the one who went out with Sam Soon's sister) at the restaurant really made me laugh a lot. Great characters, the secretary's attitude and especially the Head Chef who had the funniest facial expressions.

Damn, i'm so sad that this show has ended :-(

alodia

Post by alodia » Feb 5th, '09, 21:32

welcome to the world of Samsoonie Das_Phantom!
I remember the first time i watched this drama, i was soo sad as well when it ended. ending is satisfactory for me, but i just feel sad with the fact that it ended already.
you can rewatch it anyway... hahaha

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » Feb 13th, '09, 13:32

I was somewhat entertained because I like Kim Sun-ah, but this show is pretty awful by any objective standard. I recently read a story about the way Korean dramas are declining in quality because they blow most of their budget on casting expensive stars, and I can't help but wonder if Kim Sam-soon had the same problem. That would certainly explain the aimless and incompetent script, the lousy cinematography, the poor soundtrack and various other issues.

By "any objective standard" I mean something other than this:
persia98 wrote:i just finished watching the first epi pretty cutee but the guy is SSSSSSOOOOOOOO HHHHOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
I think Kim Sun-ah is attractive, but I'm certainly not going to let that cloud my judgement. I think the reason why people like this show is because they like the fantasy of a 30-year old overweight (by Korean standards) woman snagging herself a young, rich and handsome boyfriend (who is of course an arrogant douchebag first, before the woman tames him). Another reason is "OMG HOT BOYZZZzzz!1111"

dreamysleeper

Post by dreamysleeper » Dec 28th, '10, 22:18

I completely agree with the post above. ^

I don't quite understand why this drama is so popular/recommended. I admit it kept me entertained at times & the actors were actually decent. But the plot was pretty awful, in my opinion. It bored me at so many points; I didn't really like how everything was so...eh. I don't even know how to explain it, lol. My point is, I didn't like this drama /: I've seen other dramas with lower ratings that are much better than this one.

middlefour

Post by middlefour » Jan 3rd, '11, 07:34

I'm probably ajumma already because I found it really funny when I watched it four years ago. And it never bored me. I also like most of the songs in the OST, I guess it's just difference in taste.

circuitlovers

Post by circuitlovers » Feb 4th, '11, 21:25

This was really good in the early episodes, but it got kinda lost (the interest) near the end. Still a good drama, not amazing, but good.

toenail

Post by toenail » Feb 4th, '11, 22:44

I like Kim Sam Soon because the main girl is played very well. Kim Sun-ah is a very good actress, she makes the character strong, not only on positive traits such as resilience and optimism, but moreso on the negative ones. The wistful thinking, ridiculous hopes, the disappointment, the frustration, her often coarse but very fitting voice which matches the character well, and so on. In short, she shines.

But I can understand why this drama resonates better with older audience. Older ahjummas can relate to the desperation and the anxiety to cling onto "the light on the other end of the tunnel" offered by the lead male. To really enjoy it, better not to be to fixated with the main story, which is a bit wistful and cheesy. Take it as a package, and enjoy the way Kim Sun-ah talks and moves. I just don't get the overweight part.

circuitlovers

Post by circuitlovers » Feb 7th, '11, 01:36

toenail wrote:I like Kim Sam Soon because the main girl is played very well.
Totally agree with you, and along with the statement on how ahjummas would like this drama better
:D

sokasonata

Post by sokasonata » Mar 25th, '11, 22:58

Mhkurin a wonderful effort

Lludara

Post by Lludara » Mar 26th, '11, 16:54

Just finished this last week. I wouldn't say it was overwhelmingly good, but it was decent, mostly only because of the actress/actor.

Overall, there were parts when I was pretty bored with it. It's better then some others I've seen though. The funny parts were very cute. I have to say I'm glad i watched it, but probably will not watch it again.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Aug 12th, '11, 16:02

I'm a little over half-way through it's good so far not the best I've seen but good I do have a question though who is that guy Sam Soon is talking to after her blind date leaves in episode 10 he doesn't look familiar at all?

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Aug 31st, '11, 19:10

I'll always have a soft spot for this as it was the first Kdrama I ever watched. Kim Seon Ah and Hyeon Bin had a great chemistry together.

koreanthings

Post by koreanthings » Nov 9th, '11, 07:44

this is the first korean drama that I watched..I'm so addicted to it that I visited those shooting location..and I would say you really got to climb up the long slope where Kim Sam Soon's house is..
Remember the store where Kim Sam Soon asked for a cigarette? It is now a restaurant :lol

NinahFox89

just came to mind when I looked

Post by NinahFox89 » Oct 15th, '13, 17:40

just came to mind when I looked, my name is kim sam soon, so at that point where Sam was at a blind date, any bells that the one of series had that the, the girl entered the restaurant and say his beloved who was with another girl out there so that the something about the the child what was Also the fake thing to win the man back to her.