American TV Series ~ What do you think about it?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Rasckita

American TV Series ~ What do you think about it?

Post by Rasckita » Jan 4th, '08, 22:59

I know we all like asian tv series, if not, why would we be in this forum right? But, does anyone here watch american series too? Or not?

What do you guys think about american series?

I like some american series, they're well produced and some are very interesting and fun to watch.

Comparing them to asian series, I think the main diference is that american series talk and show some subjects -including the polemic subjects- in a more open way (less conservative) than asian series, but that's because of cultural diferences between western and eastern people. So I don't think this makes american series better or worse, just diferent.

Other diferent aspect of american series is that some have lots of seasons so sometimes it's hard to follow all seasons and all episodes.

Most of the times I only watch the 1rst season of an american serie, I only watch more than 1 seasons when I really like the tv series.

Anyway, here are my favourite american tv series:

MY SO-CALLED LIFE
Info - Article on NY Times
Great Fansite - http://www.mscl.com/
This is a serie that really desearved more than one season, but unfortunelly it only lasted for one season. :( It's an AMAZING serie (and everyone that watchs it fall in love for Jordan Catalano played by Jared Leto :wub: :lol ).

LOST
Info - Lost's ABC Page
Exciting and thrilling serie! :w00t:

FRIENDS
Info - FRIENDS' Wikipedia Page
Super Funny! :lol :

There are other good tv series, but these 3 above are my all time fav american series.

fragilebliss

Post by fragilebliss » Jan 4th, '08, 23:22

i sooo love american dramas! not that it exceeds my love for j-dramas though, lol. i'm currently into grey's anatomy (though i'm starting to get bored of meredith swinging back and forth.. and back again), private practice (too early to determine whether it's good or bad) and lastly, my current vice - gossip girl :D used to watch friends as well(: good stuff, haha.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jan 5th, '08, 01:17

i'm currently into grey's anatomy
I've never watched it because I'm not a big fan of series about doctors, but I'm looking foward to watch this serie because everyone says it's great. Plus Patrick Dempsey is a cutie

my current vice - gossip girl
I watched one episode and seems good even though there are a few similiar things with The OC. Anyway, I'm waiting next episode air on TV. :D
used to watch friends as well(: good stuff, haha
I love 'Friends'! I always laught watching it. If I was rich I would definetely buy all seasons dvd boxes! :P

synysterroy

Post by synysterroy » Jan 5th, '08, 02:04

I really love How I Met Your Mother. Mostly cause I practically am the main character. It's like watching my life on TV or something. They're on their third season currently, but because of this writer's strike thing, only episode 10 or 11 has aired. The first 2 seasons are on DVD and very well worth it. :)

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jan 5th, '08, 02:04

Hm....American shows I've enjoyed:

Charmed (Season 1 - The season right before they got rid of Shannon Doherty and replaced her with some ugly girl)
Alias (First couple season and the last few episodes only)
Friends (First several seasons then the last episode)
Smallville (First couple seasons)
Traveler (Season 1 - Until it got cancelled)
Heroes (Season 1 - ?)

I generally hate American TV. They squeeze as much as they can out of each show. They can never end a show with grace. They have to wait until it gets junky and cancelled. Charmed got ruined when they got rid of Shannon Doherty and wanted to add some ugly girl in hopes they could still make money. Alias lasted long, got boring in the middle, but at least they had a series finale (and a decent one). Friends as well. Smallville is stupid now. Clark fails so hard at life and Lana should have died like 20 times over already. Traveler (i'm probably the only person to have watched this) was a good story that seemed like it would have a proper ending until ABC said "well we're not making enough money off this" and cancelled it before the first season even ended. Heroes is currently the only American show that I like. I can already see the plot losing its integrity. Hopefully season 3 is the last one.

Why did I post a page long review? *shrugs*

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jan 5th, '08, 04:11

They're on their third season currently, but because of this writer's strike thing, only episode 10 or 11 has aired.
This writer's strike is being a pain.:(
But I understand their claims.
hey can never end a show with grace. They have to wait until it gets junky and cancelled.
That's an interesting fact that you pointed. Unfortunelly hardly ever the final of a tv serie is planned. They never set how many episodes the serie will have and as a consequence they never have a planned line of events and happenings in the serie.
They end a serie when they think the tv ratings won't improve or when they think the serie won't earn them a lot of money.

So what happen is that there are many series with great 1rst and 2nd season, but with terrible and boring middle and last seasons because they simply let the serie go on until it's unbearable (and after they ruin lots of good characters) and they make a careless final season or episode.

PLUS with this kind of policy, sometimes when a serie has low ratings they simply abandon it without an ending. Which is a total disrespect with the people that enjoy the serie.
lana should have died like 20 times over already.
I hate Lana. She's such an annoying character. :glare: I agree with you, she should have died long ago. In fact, I heard many Smallville's fans hate her.

Why did they killed a nice character like Clark's father instead of killing that Lana? :-(

OneMore

Post by OneMore » Jan 5th, '08, 04:59

Agree with what has been said so far. Many shows start out fine then become trashy and unbearable after a while. All that matters is ratings.

Another thing is how the actors and actresses become as messed up in their real lives as in the roles in which they play. Their egos rise faster than the speed of light. (Their bank balances too). Hard to be fan of anyone. Not many' role model' type.

Characters I have liked in the beginning somehow turn into someone else, unrecognizable from the start.
With every character having been with every other in the show.

I wish there was more lighthearted, innocent stuff without an innuendo every few seconds or some 'trashy behavior'.

I just hope asian shows don't become like this.

But there are a few exceptions, thankfully. I liked 24, Lost at the start and struggling to think of others

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jan 5th, '08, 06:02

Rasckita wrote:Why did they killed a nice character like Clark's father instead of killing that Lana? :-(
lol that was actually the turning point for me. When they actually kill off a character (especially a nice one) then the show has problems and was in such desperate need of a ratings booster. So after seeing Clark's dad get killed off FOR Lana I vowed to never watch again. I broke that vow when my sister said Lana really died finally. Of course when I watched the next episode, Lana miraculously lived through nuclear bomb # 3 : /

You also know you suck when you get "wrestlers" as guest stars. No namers at that. Either give me The Rock or keep those dumb wrestlers away.
OneMore wrote:Another thing is how the actors and actresses become as messed up in their real lives as in the roles in which they play. Their egos rise faster than the speed of light. (Their bank balances too). Hard to be fan of anyone. Not many' role model' type.
That's why Masi Oka from Heroes is cool. That guy's still so down to earth. He drives like a Honda Accord or something with exhaust problems. Matt Damon is also cool (I have a thing for Matt Damon : / A very non-gay thing, mind you ~_~ All his movies are awesome and don't even require hardcore action like all other American actors that have a guy fanbase) I despise all American actresses. They're all horrible when you get down to the basics. *heart* J actresses. Why? Because even if they're horrible people I don't understand enough Japanese to know this ^_^"

fragilebliss

Post by fragilebliss » Jan 5th, '08, 10:14

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:Why? Because even if they're horrible people I don't understand enough Japanese to know this ^_^"
haha, very true indeed(: totally agree with what's said earlier - american shows never end with grace. and speaking about role models, i initially like rorey or something(the daughter) of gilmor girls. thought she would be a good role model with her getting into yale and everything. but she just HAD to fall in love with a person's husband, get herself pregs and stuff. decided not to watch it after that): totally heartbreaking, really. oh, and i forgot to mention that i like CSI, though it gets confusing exactly which series i like since there's so many of them. haha

groink

Post by groink » Jan 5th, '08, 10:27

synysterroy wrote:I really love How I Met Your Mother. Mostly cause I practically am the main character. It's like watching my life on TV or something. They're on their third season currently, but because of this writer's strike thing, only episode 10 or 11 has aired. The first 2 seasons are on DVD and very well worth it. :)
Monday CBS comedies rule!!!!! I'm also a huge fan of Barney and the bunch. Supposedly we'll see Ted's future wife in one of the episodes this season.

My other favorite shows:

3 and a Half Men - The cracks they make is pure writing genius! Everyone on the show are *ssholes, and it's GREAT!!!!

Big Bang Theory - This one really surprised me! I watched the first episode and thought this is going to be canceled very soon! I'm still watching it! Sheldon reminds me of myself in a way or two.

The Class - Well, this one was canceled after season 1. And there was a LOT happening on the cliffhanger last episode. Sadly, we'll never know the outcome. This is one of the bad things of having an endless series, unlike the Japanese dramas.

NCIS - Tony Dinozo makes this show!!! There's so much cohesion between the characters. The guy who wrote this also wrote JAG and Magnum P.I. - both shows I also like a lot.

Power of 10 - this is the ONLY reality/game show I watch.

--- groink

KuroYanagi

Post by KuroYanagi » Jan 5th, '08, 10:51

Well being in america, I guess I have to put up with it...

I mean I like some shows but I hate the people who make the decisions behind the scenes here in america television.

Just like when a show is starting to get good, it gets cancelled because it doesn't sell. That's why I haven't cared for what is on american TV now...

Thanks to this writer's strike, all of these new shows are in danger of being taken off-air, I almost don't even want to watch anything new! I might like it and want to see more and then it'll stop being shown...

Now that I think about it, you know what's is something thats always bothered me when comparing Jdrama and "Dramas" here?

Is that have you noticed that Japanese actors always look dead tired...They must work all year round constantly filming, it looks that way to me.

I mean look at Abe Hiroshi for example, an he's in an average of 1 drama every 8 months or something, and so for Kekkon Dekinai Otoko, he looked like he was going to drop dead! Really! The dark circles on his eyes had dark circles themselves.

Another thing I've noticed is that there are no Science Fiction Dramas, and no, tokuhero shows don't count. I mean shows that are set in Space, like the now cancelled Star Trek, or the Babylon 5 Series. I WISH there was a Japanese drama thats like Doctor Who (On TV for 30+ years).

Are we allowed to link to other torrent sites? Because I have a site that I go to with a huge community for American, British, Australian TV shows.

If I can't link, use google and search for EZTV, it's the second link with .nl

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » Jan 5th, '08, 13:50

I like watching American series but I rarely finish the whole show

the shows I liked
-LOST: watched 3 seasons and waiting for the 4th one to air
-Prison Break: Really GOOD..finished both seasons in less than 2 weeks and planning to start watching the 3rd season tonight
-Friends: watched 9 seasons
-24: watched the 1st season and it was really good
-alias: the first 2 season
-charmed: the first 2 seasons as well

most liked r PB & Lost :thumright:

NgocLan

Post by NgocLan » Jan 5th, '08, 14:20

My so-called life! So happy that someone named that one. Deserved so much more than 1 season!

Charmed, season 1-3, Yeah, after Shannon Doherty got kicked to the curb, it all went downhill.

Gilmore Girls, first 2.5 seasons and a few episodes in season 5 and that's it.

Veronica Mars. Oh My, season 1 was just brilliantly executed! 2 and 3 were kind of a let down, but still better than most things they aired.

Lost for the 1st season. Heroes 1st season. Actually a lot of shows are great the 1st season, and then they never top that anymore. ;)

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 5th, '08, 15:12

I only watch series to stare at pretty actresses for hours on end, and since Korean series has better looking actresses than American series, the choice is simple.

For sitcoms however, I prefer the American ones such as Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond. Not that I've seen Korean sitcoms in any detail, but I find American humor more advanced than Korean humor, which still lingers in the neanderthal times. And of course, there's the problem of jokes being lost in translation.

Overall though, I'd choose Korean entertainment over American ent. any day of the week.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jan 5th, '08, 15:26

Characters I have liked in the beginning somehow turn into someone else, unrecognizable from the start.
With every character having been with every other in the show.
EXACTLY!!!!
They ruin so many great characters and some great on screen couples.

Have you watched 'Dawson's Creek'? There was this great character called Andie McPhee, she was so nice. They paired her with Pacey and they were really a nice and sweet couple. The scenes with them were simply great, they had funny interaction and also great chemistry.
You know what they did? (added inside spoiler tags)
They invented some weird story that she suffered from a mental health desease out of nothing. :glare:
They made her and Pacey break up. And Pacey started to hook up with Joey.
After Pacey and Joey started dating, I stopped watching the serie. It was totally stupid these two together because Joey should be with Dawson and Pacey with Andie, but they ruined the story. :/
They also ruined Lucas from 'One Tree Hill'. After the 1rst season he got very annoying.

Ahhh and it was so stupid how they made Joey (from Friends) fall in love for Rachel. That was so odd. :blink
lol that was actually the turning point for me. When they actually kill off a character (especially a nice one) then the show has problems and was in such desperate need of a ratings booster. So after seeing Clark's dad get killed off FOR Lana I vowed to never watch again. I broke that vow when my sister said Lana really died finally. Of course when I watched the next episode, Lana miraculously lived through nuclear bomb # 3 : /
It's funny that when there was a rumour that some character would come back to life, everyone was excited and hoping that would be Clark's father. But then it turned out to be Lana.

For god sake, why do they insist in keeping Lana in the serie?! :glare: Haven't they noticed that NOBODY like her?

I always thought Chloe Sullivan (they ruined this character later) and Lois was more suitable for Clark.
totally agree with what's said earlier - american shows never end with grace. and speaking about role models, i initially like rorey or something(the daughter) of gilmor girls. thought she would be a good role model with her getting into yale and everything. but she just HAD to fall in love with a person's husband, get herself pregs and stuff. decided not to watch it after that):
WOW she got pregnat???? :blink That's so weird and so unlike her.
I also thought it was weird how she was all shy and nerdy and then out of nowhere she started having 2 boys around her and being all 'bitchy'.
Big Bang Theory - This one really surprised me! I watched the first episode and thought this is going to be canceled very soon! I'm still watching it! Sheldon reminds me of myself in a way or two.
I saw the commercial of this serie, it seems funny! :lol

Are we allowed to link to other torrent sites? Because I have a site that I go to with a huge community for American, British, Australian TV shows.

If I can't link, use google and search for EZTV, it's the second link with .nl
Thanks! i found the site!!! :)
I think there's no problem in linking for these sites.
Here's a good forum for direct download:
http://tvfreeload.com/forum/index.php

-Prison Break: Really GOOD..finished both seasons in less than 2 weeks and planning to start watching the 3rd season tonight
LOST is one of the few seasons that every season stays more intriguing and exciting even though they kill good characters sometimes.
Actually a lot of shows are great the 1st season, and then they never top that anymore. ;)
YEap. 'The OC' is a good example! The first season was nice but the following seasons were terrible.
My so-called life! So happy that someone named that one. Deserved so much more than 1 season!
And I'm so happy to find other MSCL's fan. We might not be as huge (in terms of number of people) as fans of other series but we are loyal fans. :-)

I simply love 'My So-Called Life'. I have all episodes downloaded but i'm saving money to buy the dvd box serie released by Shout! Factory. It has several extras, a book and a beautiful package:
http://www.mscl.com/newsarchive/239_My_ ... tores.html

Jordan Catalano :wub:

Another great serie was 'The Wonder Years':

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MY SO-CALLED LIFE

Anyway, for those that want to try a good american tv series, you should try 'My So-Called Life', it only has 19 episodes and it's amazing! :thumright:

You can download all episodes here:
List with Rapidshare Link / List with Megaupload Links / Batch Torrent

I've downloaded the episodes from the batch torrent. The quality is great!

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jan 5th, '08, 17:14

Rasckita wrote:YEap. 'The OC' is a good example! The first season was nice but the following seasons were terrible.
Oh yea, I forgot about that show. The OC was great in season 1. But then everybody turned into lesbians or something.

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Jan 5th, '08, 17:24

My current favorites are...

Bones
House
Chuck (god i hope it survives the strike)
Law&Order
Eureka
Traveler (tho i'm guessing that got the boot. its a shame, it was a good show)
Reaper

tho it will be interesting to see what survives the strike.

PIka

Post by PIka » Jan 5th, '08, 17:29

battlegirlai wrote:My current favorites are...
Traveler (tho i'm guessing that got the boot. its a shame, it was a good show)
i can't believe that!! it's a real good show as you say!!!
i also LOVE Heroes and Friends... :D and yeah Ugly Betty :P

Tensai

Post by Tensai » Jan 5th, '08, 17:31

I don't really watch American dramas anymore, because most never seem to understand when to end. They start off great, and then drift into the realm of daytime drama's with never ending relationship swaps, shock moments, and cast changes.

Some great dramas that went on too long:

X-Files
E.R.
West Wing
Moonlighting
Gilmore Girls

The ones I really like seem to get killed off too early.

Cupid (Jeremy Piven and Paula Marshall)
Profit (Adrian Pasdar)
Wonderfalls
Firefly

The nice thing about Japanese and British dramas, is that they focus on one, very short, season. It's not a huge time investment, and you get more variety. Sometimes they end just as they are getting good.

-Ten

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jan 5th, '08, 18:35

Oh yea, I forgot about that show. The OC was great in season 1. But then everybody turned into lesbians or something.
Marisa's evolution:
1) just a rich girl
2) dates Luke
3) start an on and off relationship with Ryan
3) becomes a rebel that hates mum
4) shots Ryan's brother
5) becomes alcohol addicted
6) turns bissexual
7) Dies
how awful is that?! :glare:
and yeah Ugly Betty
in my country they aired the mexican soap opera version. :mrgreen: It was funny! :lol

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Jan 5th, '08, 19:51

Some of my favourite American tv series (and I'm kind of selective with what I want to watch regardless of whether it's c-drama, tw-drama, j-drama, or american):

Millenium
Firefly
Carnivale
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Next Generation
The Simpsons
Law and Order: SVU

I never liked American comedies like Friends - they just didn't appeal to me. However, I love watching Asian comedy series...

AshanishiLynn

Post by AshanishiLynn » Jan 5th, '08, 20:10

Of course I love american series

I grew up on them

Saved By The Bell
Boy Meets World
Family Matters
Step By Step
Sabrina The Teenage Witch

Fresh Prince of Bel Air

sooooo many
I mostly like the 90s shows the best
In fact I watch more american dramas than anything
cuz that's just what I grew up on

I can't say american dramas are better than asian dramas and vice versa because the cultures are different, but I find american dramas vary more categories than asian dramas and that is why I find them alot more enjoyable.

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Jan 5th, '08, 20:33

yeah, its true that many american shows don't end when they should.

im more a child of the 80s. the shows i really love are shows like macgyver, scarecrow and mrs king, the wild wild west (not 80s, but still an awesome show), Quantum Leap, Spenser for Hire, The Equalizer, Murder She Wrote, Perry Mason, etc.

god i miss those kinds of shows. you just don't see shows like them anymore.

@AshanishiLynn - i have to say that japanese/chinese/korean tv is just as varied as american tv. there are lots of shows that air that we don't see at d-a and on the web. i was surprised by the amount of shows that never seem to find their way to d-a.
Last edited by battlegirlai on Jan 5th, '08, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

Spike23

Post by Spike23 » Jan 5th, '08, 20:37

I am watching Heroes its pretty good...though i am on to season 3 getting kinda lame.
Another drama i am watching is =p L word.

NgocLan

Post by NgocLan » Jan 6th, '08, 00:04

Rasckita wrote:
And I'm so happy to find other MSCL's fan. We might not be as huge (in terms of number of people) as fans of other series but we are loyal fans. :-)

I simply love 'My So-Called Life'. I have all episodes downloaded but i'm saving money to buy the dvd box serie released by Shout! Factory. It has several extras, a book and a beautiful package:
http://www.mscl.com/newsarchive/239_My_ ... tores.html

Another great serie was 'The Wonder Years':
I already have a boxset of MSCL at home. <3. My dear brother just threw it on my desk and said: watch it. And I did and I fell so in love with it.

AAAH, the wonder years. I have every episode taped. Again, thanks to my brother who watched it and I watched alongside him. G'd I loved it so much.

And yes, OTH season one was definitely a good watch, and then, it turned really sucky.. yet I've watched every season up till now. Season 5 (and the last one, that is) is going to start next week. But at least I'm in a right state of mind to judge how it turned out.. haha. I used to love it when they were all about basketball and such, and then
it turned out to be the most terrible triangle with Brooke and Peyton exchanging the Lucas's lover position for every season. And of course, looking back in retrospective: the whole sudden haley and nathan marriage at the age of 16 is a bit off... And yet I keep watching this show, it makes no sense. VICE!
I also used to watch Beverly Hills 90210 (I can't believe I'm even admitting this to the world), now that was a show that went down hill tremendously after Shannon Doherty left.... Seriously, the first 3 seasons were superb.. It's like Charmed. With Shannon Doherty = ace, without = bad....

groink

Post by groink » Jan 6th, '08, 01:16

Speaking of DVD box sets, I do own several of them:

Sopranos, all six seasons

Silk Stalkings - technically this is a Canadian TV drama, but it aired in the U.S. on CBS late-night (before David Letterman moved to CBS.)

There are a few others but I can't think of them at the moment.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Jan 6th, '08, 01:35

battlegirlai wrote:Spenser for Hire
haha, i adored that show, robert urich and his car... :lol

recently watched heroes up to date and like that, but i'm a total crime show fanatic...
anything goes from hill street blues, csi, without a trace, to the umpteenth spinoff of law and order...
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Jan 6th, '08, 02:20

The only shows I watch are Ugly Betty and Scrubs. Scrubs is hilarious and most of the times you don't need to know what happened in the episode before to understand the storyline.

Like someone said, some shows start out really good but then either die off or have too many twists that change what the show was originally about

I also like desperate housewives but it gives me a heart attack every time I watch an episode

Also, there are a lot of racy shows out there and its quite awkward watching them with your brothers/parents

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Jan 6th, '08, 02:51

I love American television shows. My favorites are Bones, House, and Ghost Whisperer. I sometimes watch others like the CSI series, Supernatural, etc. However, I barely watch any American comedy series for some reason. I used to but not that much anymore.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Jan 7th, '08, 18:40

geeez after reading this thread partially I realized I should change my nickname to Otaku instead of techie :D

The only US based show I followed with some sort of interest since very young, was of course Star Trek. Gaaaaaaah :crazy:

sniffleslover

Re: American TV Series ~ What do you think about it?

Post by sniffleslover » Jan 8th, '08, 00:36

Rasckita wrote:I know we all like asian tv series, if not, why would we be in this forum right? But, does anyone here watch american series too? Or not?

What do you guys think about american series?
I don't tend to like American series. They never seem to have clear endings and I hate that. I like my characters to have resolution and then to move on to the next story. American television seems to go on and on and on with no REAL ending. Like, for example, Buffy the Vampire Slayer which was fantastic right up until the ending. No real resolution!

Or, say, Firefly. Fantastic... but no real resolution!

I HATE IT.

*sigh*

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jan 8th, '08, 11:37

sooooo many
I mostly like the 90s shows the best
Yeah the series of the 90s are great!
I already have a boxset of MSCL at home. <3. My dear brother just threw it on my desk and said: watch it. And I did and I fell so in love with it.

AAAH, the wonder years. I have every episode taped. Again, thanks to my brother who watched it and I watched alongside him. G'd I loved it so much.
Your brother has good taste with american series!! :D

Is your dvd boxset the one that comes with a booklet (that's the one released by Shout!Factory)? How do you rate the dvdbox? I'm planning to buy it but I came across other version of MSCL dvd box (one by BMG).

'The Wonder Years' is classic. I find it funny how Kevin is so mature for his age. :P
And yes, OTH season one was definitely a good watch, and then, it turned really sucky.. yet I've watched every season up till now. Season 5 (and the last one, that is) is going to start next week. But at least I'm in a right state of mind to judge how it turned out.. haha. I used to love it when they were all about basketball and such, and then
I heard that on the last season (don't read if you don't want to know):
Nathan will be on wheelchair :blink
I also used to watch Beverly Hills 90210 (I can't believe I'm even admitting this to the world), now that was a show that went down hill tremendously after Shannon Doherty left..
If it wasn't because of 'Beverly Hills 90210', 'The OC' wouldn't exist. :P I didn't really watched 'Beverly Hills 90210', I would only take a look at it when Jason Priestley was on screen. :lol He was cute! :wub:
Like someone said, some shows start out really good but then either die off or have too many twists that change what the show was originally about
I like my characters to have resolution and then to move on to the next story. American television seems to go on and on and on with no REAL ending.
Yup

have you heard about the latest:
the writers strike is not affection only the tv series:
It's Official: Golden Globe Awards Are Canceled
Source: People.com

The Golden Globe Awards have become a victim of the writers' strike.

Organizers said Monday they’ve officially abandoned the televised formal ceremony this Sunday and will replace it with a press conference announcement of the winners.

"We are all very disappointed that our traditional awards ceremony will not take place this year and that millions of viewers worldwide will be deprived of seeing many of their favorite stars celebrating 2007's outstanding achievements in motion pictures and television," Hollywood Foreign Press Association president Jorge Camara said. "We take some comfort, however, in knowing that this year's Golden Globe Award recipients will be announced on the date originally scheduled."

The drastic move is in response to the Screen Actors Guild pledge that its members would not cross picket lines by the Writers Guild of America, effectively leaving the show without any stars.

Instead of the lavish ceremony, the HFPA, which sponsors the awards, will now announce the winners at an hour-long press conference broadcast on NBC.

"The 65th Annual Golden Globe Awards NBC telecast and champagne dinner in the Beverly Hilton's International Ballroom is officially canceled," the HFPA said in a statement.

The writing had been on the wall that, despite the best efforts of the network and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the ceremony was in jeopardy. On Friday it was reported that the nominated actors would not cross the Writers Guild picket lines to attend the ceremony.

In terms of Globe nominations, Atonement led the list of movies in competition, with seven.

Djahane

Post by Djahane » Jan 8th, '08, 12:19

I don't watch a lot of american tv shows...
I don't like how they usually wait for the show to lose interest, and of course viewers after some seasons, to make an usually dashed off end.
But some of them are enjoyable, I must admit ^^
Maybe "House" the most. Love that guy lol

IndieRockerette

Post by IndieRockerette » Jan 8th, '08, 12:21

The writers strike has a lot of my shows on hold :( ...but I do understand and support their causes. I love Jdramas, but I do prefer to watch a little American television from time to time.

I only watch The Office.
Last edited by IndieRockerette on May 23rd, '08, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jan 8th, '08, 13:16

Oh yeah, I heard about the Golden Globes. The writer's strike is affecting movie production and award shows as well. Hopefully they'll have some sort of agreement soon or else a lot of people are going to lose their jobs
Yeah! I also support their causes too.
But I still think it's a pity that the Golden Globes were cancelled.

I prefer Golden Globes than Oscar because Oscar is so predictable and they seem to care more about the millions spent in a movie or the millions earned with the movie than with the quality and artistic qualities of it.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jan 9th, '08, 05:36

I was talking to friend of mine awhile back about American dramas and she told me that she thinks American shows are really BKKKKAH! (forgive me here, but she's Korean and tends to make the greatest sound effects to express things :p). Not even taking account the length or quality (because American shows have really high production values), but the fact that they tend to be really: loud, graphic, violent, not very "family-oriented", or completely confusing unless you've been watching every episode (which can be hard to do for these multiple-season long shows such as "Lost"). And what with CG these days, there's really little left to the imagination these days.

After thinking about that, I realized that those descriptions were probably a big reason why I don't really watch American dramas anymore in favor of British and Asian. I don't need graphic realism in my "serious" dramas and I tend to enjoy quirky/witty dramas with good writing as opposed to flesh and blatant sexual innuendo.

That being said, the current shows I find most enjoyment in (although I rarely get a chance to watch) are: Cold Case, Ugly Betty, and Pushing Daisies (I love the Vincent Price-like storybook narration)
Tensai wrote: The ones I really like seem to get killed off too early.

Cupid (Jeremy Piven and Paula Marshall)
Oh man, that was such an awesome single season series...;_;

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 10th, '08, 05:31

i'll have to admit that i do not watch too many american tv shows any more. there are a few here and there that i enjoy, but most of them do not keep my attention long.

my favorite show currently is 'amazing race'. been a fan since season 5 or 6.

i enjoyed csi (LV, NY, Miami - in that order), without a trace, criminal minds, cold case, mythbusters, but....

csi - starting to get too 'over the top' - they've run out of things, so now they're getting ridiculous
wot - missed about 3 eps in a row, and now i don't want to see it cuz i'd be out of the loop.
crim-minds - ever since the main dude left, doesn't seem like the same show.
cold case - nice to watch every so often, but it's basically just a book. nothing to figure out or solve.

lost - tried to watch it from s2, but missed an ep here and there, and now **I'M LOST**
24 - heard good things about it ,,, watched last season and it was ridiculous. except that one of my friends was appearing on the show, i wouldn't have continued to watch it.
heroes - haven't had time to watch it yet, but i heard s2 is pretty disappointing
the office - everyone keeps telling me about it, but i haven't watched it yet.

the one that i'm a bit excited about since i'm such an otaku nerd is 'the sarah connor files' - the new terminator show. it looks like it would suck, but maybe the action could keep me interested. also, there's supposed to be a new 'knight rider' coming soon, isn't there?

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jan 10th, '08, 16:03

That being said, the current shows I find most enjoyment in (although I rarely get a chance to watch) are: Cold Case, Ugly Betty, and Pushing Daisies (I love the Vincent Price-like storybook narration)
Pushing Daisies is in my list of series to watch. I've seen the commercial and I loved the plot and the visual of the series. I also read many reviews about it (all were positive by the way).

lost - tried to watch it from s2, but missed an ep here and there, and now **I'M LOST**
You tried watching Lost's 2nd season without watching the 1rst? :blink It's kinda impossible and yeah you'll be lost if you watch like this. In fact, even missing only 1 episode you can get a bit lost.
So I recommend you watch it from the very beggining. It's worth! :-)

GhstDreamer

Re: American TV Series ~ What do you think about it?

Post by GhstDreamer » Jan 12th, '08, 02:49

sniffleslover wrote:
Or, say, Firefly. Fantastic... but no real resolution!

I HATE IT.

*sigh*
Actually, Firefly was canceled prematurely before any resolution due to low viewership. The series never really had a stable timeslot and the episodes weren't even aired in the proper order. I remember watching some episodes when it was aired and I was a bit confused and it seemed very episodic. Finally when I watched the entire series on dvd, there an actual developed story. It was a series that garnered more interest on dvd than when it was aired on tv.

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Jan 12th, '08, 08:40

yeah, its a pain when they air a series out of order. it leaves people confused

the first season of Eureka was similar. it didn't take me but 3 episodes to figure out that there were gaps between the shows. thats when i found out about the mixed airing. i started to download them and even tho i was watching it on tv every week, i would watch the downloaded shows in order as i found out which ep was which. it made so much more continuity sense when watched in order.

i enjoyed firefly. i only saw it after it got on dvd. it was a total shame about the crappy movie tho.

ReBeLa

Post by ReBeLa » Jan 12th, '08, 12:44

Love Angel wrote:I like watching American series
the shows I liked
-24: watched the 1st season and it was really good
most liked r PB & Lost :thumright:
I watch this 3 tv series too: I'm addicted to LOST :D (i read a theory about the show and now i'm so excited, i'm really looking forward to see what those genius Directors prepared for us) ;
can't wait for Prison Break starts monday 14th.jan.; I love that super smart handsome guy Wentworth Miller ..i see u do too (like every girl/ guy also :D who knows him) since u have an avi with him :wub:
and about 24 i'm at the 4th season (the third was the best so far .. so keep watching)
i recomend also : Heroes (a show full of mystery, action, adventure, drama, romance everything u want; i love the 2 actors that play the japanese guys-although one is korean :D- : My favourite HERO: Hiro Nakamura and also the loyal friend Ando ), Gossip Girl (the soap tv series i love it XOXO), Kyle XY (for the ones who enjoy teen movies and SF)
I also enjoyed : The 4400, Traveler, Dark Angel (but sadly :cry: they got cancelled), Eureka (about a special town - Einstein's Town :D), Jericho (waiting for the second season), Tru Calling, Invasion, Reaper, Hex and much more.

ukno

Post by ukno » Jan 14th, '08, 21:53

I remember the only one I've watched from start to end was the WB's Jack and Jill w/ Amanda Peet. It's very good. The main thing that I lose interest in American series is that each episode has its on plot and totally not related to the previous/next one.

edit: Yeah, I meant sitcoms.
Last edited by ukno on Jan 16th, '08, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.

ReBeLa

Post by ReBeLa » Jan 15th, '08, 13:06

ukno wrote: The main thing that I lose interest in American series is that each episode has its on plot and totally not related to the previous/next one.
i don't agree, maybe you've watched just reality, social or comedy show/series. This ones aren't really tied up so u can miss an episode and you'll understand everything in the next one. But if u watch Lost or other series with a story behind if u skip some eps you won't understand anything.

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » Jan 15th, '08, 14:18

ReBeLa wrote:I watch this 3 tv series too: I'm addicted to LOST Big Smile (i read a theory about the show and now i'm so excited, i'm really looking forward to see what those genius Directors prepared for us) ;
can't wait for Prison Break starts monday 14th.jan.; I love that super smart handsome guy Wentworth Miller ..i see u do too (like every girl/ guy also Big Smile who knows him) since u have an avi with him :wub:
the sad thing is that ep 13 of Prison Break will be the final of the season :-( I hoped that we will have a complete season (22 episodes) as the first 2 seasons..hope that the ending will be great~ and sure Wentworth is just more than kakkoi :wub:
and I read somewhere yesterday that LOST season 4 is just 8 episodes?

about Heroes..I have the complete season 1 but didn't get the chance to watch it..maybe sometime soon ^o^

I really Loved Dark Angel (forgot to mention it before) but sadly it got canceled ):

ReBeLa

Post by ReBeLa » Jan 15th, '08, 16:17

Love Angel wrote:the sad thing is that ep 13 of Prison Break will be the final of the season :-( and I read somewhere yesterday that LOST season 4 is just 8 episodes?
about Heroes..I have the complete season 1 but didn't get the chance to watch it..maybe sometime soon ^o^
I really Loved Dark Angel (forgot to mention it before) but sadly it got canceled ):
I hate that writers strike so many shows got canceled and so many bad changes.

Yes definitely it's sad, although there are only 13 eps let's hope for a 4th season. Although many ppl are saying it's the last i don't think all the hidden truths are revealed within the 5 eps left.
Concerning Lost, the Directors themselves said at the official Podcast that LOST will have 16 ep/per season and there are 3 seasons more. Also at a recent interview Matthew Fox (Jack) said: we have 40 eps more to film until the END of the SHOW.
So don't worry those 8 eps are the ones that got filmed, but you'll get 16 eps this season.
Heroes definitely worth. Hope it won't get affected by the strike so the third volume comes out like it should.
In Dark Angel i loved Jessica Alba and "Eyes Only" :X such a charismatic couple. It would have been really nice if we had a third season.

PS: have u seen the Missing Pieces from LOST . they aired from November until this days. I found them very interesting.
u can watch them at

Code: Select all

http://losttrailers.blogspot.com 
at the bottom right it's starts the first misshing piece episode.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jan 16th, '08, 01:11

Before getting addicted to Asian Dramas, I tend to watch many american series after school. My favorites were WB, ABS and Disney series (except for 7th heaven which should have been over the first season, never had any idea why ppl would watch it).

Like Charmed, Smallville, Boy Meets World, Step by Step, Supernatural, Dark Angel, Roswell, Dead Zone, Felicity, Dawson's Creek, Gilmore Girls there's more but these are what I remember right now.

As you can see, I like the supernatural, romance, comedy type. Though, I hardly watch TV anymore because of college and work so I only have time to watch animes, asian dramas, and read mangas when I have the time.

Binaa2

Post by Binaa2 » Jan 17th, '08, 19:27

I watch a few american series also. Like NCIS, Cold Case, CSI (las vegas).
Numbers, StarGate Atlantis and supernatural. (heroes when it was on also)

Ive downloaded the two eps of Sarah Connors chronicles also. Havnt seen them yet.

Btw i was watching korean TV on tvants and there was this american show on.
It was about a guy who re-lived the same day over and over again.
Anyone know it's name ?

dreamerboy

Post by dreamerboy » Jan 17th, '08, 19:58

i can't believe nobodys posted "monk" yet on usa network. its funny as hell and tony shaloub does a great job acting as a guy w/ ocd even though its probably misrepresentation of what people are like with ocd.

Binaa2

Post by Binaa2 » Jan 17th, '08, 22:16

dreamerboy wrote:i can't believe nobodys posted "monk" yet on usa network. its funny as hell and tony shaloub does a great job acting as a guy w/ ocd even though its probably misrepresentation of what people are like with ocd.
Yea i liked it mostly. But one thing i found annoying is the police always have
to act so brain dead to make monk look so smart. Plus whenever the script
so demanded he seemed to loose his handicap.

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Jan 17th, '08, 22:49

to be honest, i find them shite. still, i want to see how bad that terminator series is. if its anything like termie III, i won't bother. but i love my asian period drama too much, but not English Tudor drama, its cack

hoosdathu

Post by hoosdathu » Jan 25th, '08, 11:03

prison break, heroes, 24, desperate housewives, lost, supernatural... all quite nice american shows imho...

chesed

Post by chesed » Jan 25th, '08, 11:47

I've never really thought about how American shows end and this discussion is very interesting in showing how the "end" is a total afterthought in the industry.

Some of the best things I like about dramas come from the ends of the shows. Like Summer Snow... and a myriad of others.

Sitcoms are a bit different and I wouldn't really compare them to dramas. They're much easier to make endings for since there's a weak overarching storyline at best with more focus on the situations of each episode.

Some of my favorites American shows are:

Star Trek: TNG and DS9
The Wonder Years
My So-Called Life
Battlestar Galactica (new)
Heroes
Firefly
Freaks and Geeks (didn't see this mentioned yet... a nice, down-to-earth, good show that got cancelled).
Dawson's Creek (season 1)
Smallville (season 1 and 2)
Gillmore Girls (season 1)
Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis
The 4400
Eureka

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Jan 28th, '08, 20:32

Boy, we all have similar tastes... :roll :lol :lol :lol 8)

My so called life: I want to cry now, seriously, I have the 2002 BMG boxset (cost me an arm and a leg) and now you tell me there's a better boxset out there? :hissy: with tons of extras, a book and such? why oh why did I spend my money? Anyway, don't get me wrong. I love my boxset, it's great. But only because I friking LOVED that show.
It's the only US series I own, that's legit. I have season 5 and 6 of Buffy the vampire slayer, but they're pirated, LOL! XD

I've seen lots of shows on cable, the majority come and go leaving only a few good memories behind for me, like I remember a series but I wouldn't be able to remember all of it, such as:
Canceled: Roswell, Once and again, Felicity, Dark Angel, Witchblade (which was awesome), Gilmore Girls (rori never got pregnant, by the way), etc.
Current: The L word, , Ugly betty (I only keep watching to compare it to the colombian original), Supernatural (I only watch it for the western bishie factor).

For comedies, Two and a half Men is great. And Will and Grace was hilarious.

My mum loves House, Monk, and Psych.

Like many here, I stopped watching Charmed after Shannen left. And stopped watching Smallville after the first unsuccessful Lana death-threat (I hate her with a passion).

I have been drawn to british tv as well. I see every so often The IT crowd. The Office was fantastic (better than its US counterpart, IMHO), and Primeval, -old british shows totally worth seeing: Keeping up Appearances, The Young Ones, Absolutely Fabulous-
But The show that got my attention right now is Torchwood. It's AMAZING. I love it. And the second season looks even better (I watched the first episode yesterday and screamed my fangirl guts out).

A show that's also great, and australian: The Librarians. Watch it if you can.

Anyway, yes, I don't think it's fair to compare western tv to asian tv, the cultural differences alone are vast, but they're all tv nevertheless. Like, one can make an in-depth analysis of soap-operas, telenovelas, and some asian dramas, whenever the stories get similar, but the formats in themselves are completely different.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Feb 1st, '08, 18:37

ReBeLa wrote: PS: have u seen the Missing Pieces from LOST . they aired from November until this days. I found them very interesting.
u can watch them at

Code: Select all

http://losttrailers.blogspot.com 
at the bottom right it's starts the first misshing piece episode.
How's these missing pieces?
princess_jime wrote:My so called life: I want to cry now, seriously, I have the 2002 BMG boxset (cost me an arm and a leg) and now you tell me there's a better boxset out there? with tons of extras, a book and such? why oh why did I spend my money? Anyway, don't get me wrong. I love my boxset, it's great. But only because I friking LOVED that show.
YeY other MSCL fan! :cheers:
I have all episodes burned on DVD but I want to buy the original set. The new set released last year by shout factory is wonderful! . It comes with lots of extras and also audio commentaries on some episodes! :P And yeah...it also comes with a book! :D
Here are some pictures I found on internet of the box set:
ImageImageImage

Daijoubu

Post by Daijoubu » Feb 1st, '08, 19:03

i guess no one watches "The Wire" ; it's probably too "rough around the edges" for this forum. But I have to say one of the most well-written and well-acted show I've ever seen.

murdocknakashima

Post by murdocknakashima » Feb 1st, '08, 19:09

Three American dramas I can watch all day ... (when I'm not watching JDoramas) ... Monk, Psych, and Law and Order: SVU (with Benson and Stabler). 24 ... they are running out of story lines already. Kind of interested which country will be the enemy in season 7. Already saw that Tony didn't die.

I second what Groink said on the first page ... the CBS Monday night comedy line up. I don't normally watch Rules of Engagement though ... just the first three (Mother, Bang Theory, and Men). But I must say that they all pale in comparison to Seinfeld. I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode at least twice. Sad, but true.

And about how American sitcoms end ... I really hope that we find out who the Ted's wife is in How I Met Your Mother for the last episode.

murdocknakashima

Post by murdocknakashima » Feb 1st, '08, 19:11

i guess no one watches "The Wire" ; it's probably too "rough around the edges" for this forum. But I have to say one of the most well-written and well-acted show I've ever seen.
I'd watch it, but don't have HBO. Bill Simmons from espn.com raves about that show.

pmhyns

Post by pmhyns » Feb 2nd, '08, 00:18

Awwwwww, My So Called Life!!!! I LOVED that show, I wish that they had never canceled it :) I really liked Clare Danes in that show, and then I went on to see her in movies like Broken Palace, Romeo and Juliet and The Family Stone. She's a great actress :)

My favorite shows were/are:

The Gilmore Girls
The OC
Desperate Housewives.

Funny thing is, I became addicted to The Gilmore Girls and The OC while I was living in Korea, my roommates downloaded the shows and I watched them on the computer. Sure, they showed both of those shows over there on TV too, but I could never figure out the TV schedule in Korea as to when it was one. :) And now that I am back in Canada, I download Korean Dramas and watch those instead :D

Right now, Desperate Housewives is the only thing that I watch on TV, when they have a new episode on TV that is.

And every summer I watch Big Brother. It's like a drug, I need my fix three times a week, that show is just so addictive. I think its the drama that happens between the guests in the house, especially when the players start hooking up, which always happens ;) :roll

Daijoubu

Post by Daijoubu » Feb 2nd, '08, 00:24

murdocknakashima wrote:I'd watch it, but don't have HBO. Bill Simmons from espn.com raves about that show.
Get it on DVDs, so much better when you can watch the episodes continuously because the plot flows like a novel.

Arantius

Post by Arantius » Feb 2nd, '08, 00:40

Any Grey's Anatomy fans here? XD

kurotori_83

Post by kurotori_83 » Feb 24th, '08, 06:56

I also love watching American series.

I've watched some episodes of:

FRIENDS

and almost all the episodes of:
Grey's Anatomy
Prison Break
Scrubs - freaking hilarious! You people should try this.

American series are broken down into several seasons and in each season there are also several episodes so I think they are quite long. But it's okay coz I don't get tired of watching series that I like anyway.

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » Feb 27th, '08, 07:05

Sure, I watched American TV.. before everything became reality shows :\

This is the sole reason why I don't watch American TV anymore. I was never really into the "drama" shows, so I was more of a sitcom person.. for example, Everybody Loves Raymond, Fraisier, Sienfeld, etc. All the "drama" shows focus too much on sex or killing people (CSI, The OC... etc). When I watch it, all I can think is "The only reason they're putting this in is because they know that sex sells/seeing people do bad things sells and will get them ratings." That really turns me off sometimes.

I am, however, in love with "The Office". Ahh. JimxPam. so cute :)

ANYWAY. what I'm trying to say is that I hardly ever watch American TV. It just doesn't appeal to me, and I hate reality shows. (I've got over 300 channels and 90% of the time I can't find anything to watch)

groink

Post by groink » Feb 27th, '08, 07:19

Reality shows in America isn't plentiful amongst the TV networks only because of the content:

- Cheap to produce! Think about it... The entire production cost for one season of Survivor is cheaper than ONE ACTOR'S PAY for ONE EPISODE of Friends!!!

- Don't have to pay the cast. Remember, only the winner gets $$$$$. The rest of the people don't get a dime.

- It is the only thing in television that is bulletproof. It withstood the writers strike (the shows write themselves.) You never see re-runs of it.

I think people got sick of reality shows two years ago. But because the executives are so hooked on the fact that the shows are cheap, they'll keep cranking them out regardless.

Parab

Post by Parab » Feb 27th, '08, 11:26

I started to watch k-drama since the end of last year.
I think american comedies cannot compare to k-comedies so far. May be only Friend and the old Step-by-Step. And there aren't any romantic comedy recently that captured my interest. But I found many in k-drama - Coffee Prince,MLKSS, Witch Amusement...
Well, may be I'm blinded from watching too many k-dramas lately,but... :whistling:
American writers have good ideas but they usually write very twisted screenplays - aka Lost, that slowly become boring after n+1 season. I agree that they never know when to stop squeezing and keep everything till it gets realy annoying or the rating is low. For example they canceled a realy nice show called Carnival because of production costs and rating. I really hate this.
I watched Heroes, Journeyman and also Moonlight, Ghost Whisperers, the canceled 4400 - these are the genre that american can do very well - thriller,sci-fi,mystery...
Well, they have hits sometimes in other genres - like One Tree Hill - very good acting and plot and finally last season - even it is the 5th.
What I especcialy love about k-dramas is that they are max 24 episodes :-) .Enough to say everything.

maririn

Post by maririn » Feb 28th, '08, 19:52

I don't watch american tv shows that much (because they're lo~ng and just disappoint when the time goes by) but I'm currently hooked to Heroes and Prison Break.
I'm also watching Grey's Anatomy and House MD now thanks to a friend's recommendation.

If I had to choose all-time favorite, it would probably be Friends. It was (and still is) funny. :D

Fathiya

Post by Fathiya » May 22nd, '08, 18:49

I am not much into american series, the only series i watch is grey's anatomy and I am starting to get bored... the story is getting lame. I only recently started watching asian drama, and i am soooooooooo hooked...

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 22nd, '08, 23:27

i'm wondering why my amazing race hasn't been back on the air. i recently got hooked on lost. i liked heroes the first season
but i thought the last episode kinda sucked
and i've missed so many eps of criminal minds, w/o a trace, and csi that it's not worth it to catch up.

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » May 22nd, '08, 23:43

The only two shows that I consistently watch are Lost and The Office. Other than that, there isn't much on American TV that interests me. I used to have Kung Fu/Samurai channel on Dish Network but they decided to remove it :x (I know it's not technically American TV, but if I can watch it on my own TV, I'll call it that)

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » May 23rd, '08, 00:00

Most American shows bore me... And I can't stand a lot of the "issues" that are pushed in the dramas.

The only shows that I have followed are :

Star Trek (all except Voyager... could not stand that)
House (I have watched most of the episodes)
X-Files (back in the day I loved this show until David Duchovny lost his mind)
Reaper (My current show that I like. It is actually a fun piece of fluff that I can kick back with)

As for Sitcoms... I don't find a lot of them to be funny but here are some of the shows that I like...

The Family Guy (It is stupid and clever at the same time)
Seinfeld (Still like this show even though it never makes me really laugh)
Frasier (Niles kills me! I loved this show when it was on and I still like the reruns)
My Wife and Kids (I was surprised that I liked this show. I got into it when it went into reruns)
Two and A Half Men (Completely immoral but it makes me laugh)

xxemz19xx

Post by xxemz19xx » May 23rd, '08, 00:05

I'm currently addicted to Kyle XY, really good show plus the lead actor is a Hottie :wub:

I'm also watching Heroes, Moonlight and Supernatural. Jensen Ackles is just Love in it ^^

I get bored of most other programmes or I miss episodes and can't be bothered to watch anymore, I feel that most american TV is crap.

I will stick to my good old British TV and Kdramas lol

yunizuka

Post by yunizuka » May 23rd, '08, 00:11

I like Gossip Girl, it's fulll of handsome rich guys XD

And Desperate housewives of course ! After 4 seasons it's still interesting, and I love all the characters!

polarmi

Post by polarmi » May 23rd, '08, 00:11

prison break

indie

Post by indie » May 23rd, '08, 10:46

I don't watch TV that much. I used to be a television junkie but I find all the good shows disappearing and being replaced with crappy new shows / 'reality shows' [that word makes me cringe :crazy: ]. So now I only stick to the TV shows I know and when those are gone too, I'm probably gonna have to give up television altogether.

Shows I love and must have on TiVo:
- THE OFFICE :heart: :heart: :heart: ...*high fives* to all The Office fans cause I think this is the best show ever! I'm dying for season 5 to come! :D
- The Daily Show / The Colbert Report -- I learn more on these political satire news shows than watching the news. Jon Stewart is awesome, but Stephen Colbert rules 8)
- Football... I can't wait for football season again! GO INDIANAPOLIS COLTS!

Shows I like and sometimes watch:
- House... I've only watched about a fourth of the episodes so far but it's really grown on me.
- Scrubs
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Flight of the Conchords
- Monk
- Family Guy

Shows that have retired or were canceled:
- Sex and the City... I was really surprised that I liked this show. As I watched more and more, I found myself loving SATC. I can't wait for the movie! It's coming out in less than a week :lol v !!
- Friends
- Seinfeld
- Extras
- Arrested Development

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 23rd, '08, 21:32

indie wrote:- Football... I can't wait for football season again! GO INDIANAPOLIS COLTS!
wow. i'm impressed. it's rare to see a female that likes football, much less can't wait for the next season. now just tell me you host a fantasy football draft day party at your place, and i'm all yours. :lol

Pegasus3163

Post by Pegasus3163 » May 24th, '08, 01:05

I can't stand American TV shows, most have stupid plots that really don't capture my attention or make me think. That's why I like most JDrama's, at least they can invoke some emotions out of me. These are about the only shows I watch on American TV religiously:

NASCAR races
Green Bay Packers NFL
American Idol

All other shows (at least to me) are basically useless and can actually make you dumber (heh)

Pegasus©