[Discussion] Ikebukuro West Gate Park

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Pencilcase

[Discussion] Ikebukuro West Gate Park

Post by Pencilcase » Nov 9th, '05, 17:58

I've rushed through this series in the space of two days, but I don't really get the ending.. (my grasp of the japanese language isn't really good ) :-(

Can someone help me out? :salut:

SPOILER QUESTION BELOW:
Can someone explain to me the reason why Hikaru developed a split personality? What exactly happened between her parents, and what triggered off her state of mental problems?
Thanks!

By the way, for those who haven't watched it, it's really an interesting series about color gangs in tokyo.

http://jdorama.com/drama.483.htm

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Nov 9th, '05, 18:17

wow, that's DEFINITELY a spoiler question.

some spoilers in certain drama aren't so bad really, but word to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. DON'T CLICK ON THE BOX, DON'T CLICK ON THE BOX!!! :lol
hikaru's dad i believe sexually abused her. the doc who treated her said that her split personality disorder was her brain's way of dealing with the trauma. so now anytime she faces emotionally disturbing issues, her alter-ego appears. obviously she couldn't deal with the competition for makoto's affection and her alter took care of those obstacles. i suppose her parents split over this issue.
hope that answers your question.

Pencilcase

Post by Pencilcase » Nov 9th, '05, 23:32

Oh~ no wonder. I got a big shock due to that. Thanks!

And yes, that's a big spoiler question, so unless you want to ruin the whole story, don't click :whistling:

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Apr 28th, '06, 22:43

I just finished watching it yesterday (cried so much in the last two eps) and it was really good! The "twist" was a bit disappointing because I really wanted Makoto and Hikaru together, although I suppose they were together... but it was sad how they didn't mention Shun at all, like they'd forgotten about him or something.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » May 1st, '06, 00:28

i'll actually have to rewatch the series since i didn't start timing til episode 4 and only watched while reviewing... XD
i can't say i felt disappointed with the "twist" though, mainly because it caught me completely offguard... as a good twist should... :lol
this is one of my favorite series and a big part of that was the fact that it differed so greatly from many other j dramas, kind of rare when storylines are so often beaten to death...

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » May 1st, '06, 03:59

ironicwave wrote: i can't say i felt disappointed with the "twist" though, mainly because it caught me completely offguard... as a good twist should... :lol
this is one of my favorite series and a big part of that was the fact that it differed so greatly from many other j dramas, kind of rare when storylines are so often beaten to death...
Hmm...
I kind of caught onto who killed Rika ever since I saw Hikaru with Yamai, but the split personality thing totally got me.
Even though after I saw Shun's drawings, I kind of had an idea, but it was still just o_O???
Yup, I agree. The whole mood and style of the drama was different.
Not to mention character death. Shun~~~~
[/spoiler]

jica

Post by jica » May 7th, '06, 17:45

I really like this drama. I actually bought it from YesAsia ^^

Please please don't write "don't click on the box", that is too make sure people click. At least I will XD~ I hate spoilers, but I also love them.... too sad sometimes, because sometimes I found out things that I don't want to... T_T

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » May 8th, '06, 04:02

^ Lol... must be human curiosity. When people say "DON'T CLICK"! it makes me want to click it more because I know it'll be something juicy. And then I immediately regret it... ah baka me~~

meagermiser5

Post by meagermiser5 » May 9th, '06, 20:56

I've only seen the first three episodes of this show. It's interesting. I like the dark atmosphere; it's definitely unlike any other jdrama i've seen before. I think my only problem is that the main character has a serious acne problem and I really grit my teeth at the close up shots. Sometimes I can see past the zits and see how handsome he really is. He should definitely get that cleared up though. Other than this, the show seems intriguing and I hope to see it to the end.

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » May 10th, '06, 06:11

^ Lol I guess it's because Tomo-kun was in his puberty stage... I was kinda shocked at first at his skin (you'd think Johnny would recomment him a skincare routine) but after a while I just stopped noticing it altogether.

meagermiser5

Post by meagermiser5 » May 28th, '06, 19:57

I noticed there's a torrent going for the entire series, but I was just wondering, "Did SARS stop translating this series?" I'm just asking 'cause the threee episodes that I have seen were done by SARS.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » May 28th, '06, 20:14

the series is fully translated and timed, it's just in the release queue along with other series at the moment...
from what amrayu tells me, next episode of iwgp is due this week...

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Jan 26th, '07, 13:58

meagermiser5 wrote:I've only seen the first three episodes of this show. It's interesting. I like the dark atmosphere; it's definitely unlike any other jdrama i've seen before. I think my only problem is that the main character has a serious acne problem and I really grit my teeth at the close up shots. Sometimes I can see past the zits and see how handsome he really is. He should definitely get that cleared up though. Other than this, the show seems intriguing and I hope to see it to the end.
Yay, I succeeded in not looking at the posts before meagermiser5's one, because I don't want to be spoiled!!!! XD XD

But I do have a response to the post quoted: Makoto's acne was exactly the thing that most intrigued me when I first started to watch this dorama, and made me decide this is really something special, not like the other series... well, that opening sequence of ep 1 helped too, in forming that opinion XD

The fact that we are served a main character with a very clearly less-than-perfect skin tells a lot about the tone of the story we are going to watch... And indeed Mako-chan's acne-ridden face matches the rest of his world. It wouldn't have done, to have him otherwise, imho. So I was never revolted, on the contrary -- it makes Makoto seem so much more real and closer to the viewer, I think.

The series fascinated me more and more with each episode, and after ep 8 (released last December) I was dying to see what happens next, even though I was sure things were going to become even darker... And with the new release, I can see I was not to be disappointed on that account...

What are some current viewers' thoughts on the series?

Who are minna-san's favourite characters? I positively love Takashi :wub: (thank you, SARS team, for bringing Kubozuka Yosuke into my life!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: ) even though
I was upset with him for not recognizing Jessie-chan!! The scene was hilarious :lol but poor Jessie... :-( and I'm really afraid that she is going to keep her word and not forgive him ... Who knows what he set himself up to? I'm so afraid he won't make the end of the series alive... :cry: Even more now, after what happened to Shun...

shades of truth

Post by shades of truth » Jan 28th, '07, 04:32

GOd i loooooooove this drama. its so ....different. never seen anything like it before. my favorite has to be takashi...hahaha i just loooove how he acts like he's drunk or something :alcoholic: lol. and did someone notice the irony?? G boys looks down on drugs...yet King always wears a marijuana leaf around his neck. but stilll...just completely love him.
but the story is sooo confusing. like...there was so many time when i was just like....hUh?!?! could someone please kindly clear it up for me? :wub: 'cause im sooo confused

HUGE spoiler questions!
i still dont understand like...how shun died....and like how he was sending signals? and the drawing of the girl...hikaru i think? and the whole thing between yamai and hikaru. oHh and and ...the detective...i dont understand what makoto found out. he's like....'now it makes a lot of sense'

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Jan 28th, '07, 08:28

Yeap, there's a lot of irony going on and it makes for a VERY good story... The way I see it, the instance you mentioned could be read the other way around: The King always wears a marijuana leaf necklace ("woooow, how coooool!" :P ) YET the G Boys have a very strict policy to avoid drugs like it's fire.

Another instance (and very funny one) is that
Makoto is hugely popular with the ladies, and generally thought a stud, but actually he cannot have "sex on demand" to save his life!! XD :lol ...And that's what made his experience with Kana all the more significant, and revealing of his true feelings, I think.
I don't claim to understand things much better, but I'll try to suggest some answers to your questions. Maybe someone has better ones?
how shun died....
I think it's pretty clear that someone from the Black Angels killed him. (Or so we are led to believe so far. It could well be that someone else did it, and is trying to mislead people into blaming the Black Angels, in the very same way that the latter are doing all manner of mischief and making it all seem that the G Boys have done it - painting people in yellow etc. If it's like that, it will be yet another piece of irony...) I think someone, who had been contacting him before, finally came and kidnapped him, and did to him what we saw... I also think that that "someone" had been trying to persuade Shun to betray Makoto and/or the G Boys somehow... And Shun resisted... to the bitter end.

and like how he was sending signals?
Well, he kept telling Makoto he had something to tell him, didn't he? Or at least he always looked like he wanted to tell him something... And then he told him "Please don't hate me", which I take to mean that someone was pressuring him into betraying Makoto, and at that time Shun himself didn't know whether he'd be able to resist or he'd finish by selling Makoto... Also, the fact that he had been keping away from his girlfriend shows that he was trying to avoid getting her involved: he didn't want the people threatening him to use her as a means of persuasion... Or so I think, this could all be nonsense, of course :P

and the drawing of the girl...hikaru i think?
Yes, it was Hikaru, I believe so, too. That could mean two things, I think:
- either it's a clue to who is behind his death - and I do think that Hikaru is involved somehow, anyway;
- or it could be that Shun has really liked Hikaru all this time, but never showed his feelings because she was after Makoto. I think this is quite likely. So maybe it's not "either-or" but "both-and" :P Or, of course, maybe "neither", but a much cleverer thing :P

and the whole thing between yamai and hikaru.
As I understand it, the relationship between those two has a longer history, going before the moment when the series starts. I don't think Hikaru was from the beginning a tool of someone else, pursuing Makoto just to get closer to him and be able to better spy on him, but to me it seems she is at present used in that way, whether she wants it or not. My supposition is that Yamai wants to bring down Takashi, and Makoto too, in his pursuit of domination in the area, and is using Hikaru to get information on them, or maybe for more.

oHh and and ...the detective...i dont understand what makoto found out. he's like....'now it makes a lot of sense'
Makoto realized that the detective had agreed to cooperate with the yakuza boss, and "now it made sense" that the Black Angels were getting away with all the bad things they were doing. What Makoto doesn't know, however, is how the yakuza boss persuaded the detective to turn a blind eye on Yamai and his gang (by threatening to harm/kill his hospitalized wife). Makoto thinks simply that he is corrupted, and is doing it for money.
I do hope all this was of help, and didn't make you more confused XD If someone has got better ideas, please share!!!

imissjpn

Post by imissjpn » Jan 28th, '07, 08:41

do you know where i can download this drama?? it doesnt seem to be on d-addicts. and are all the episodes fully subtitled?? thanks.

Liantasse

Post by Liantasse » Jan 28th, '07, 09:42

Of course it's here on d-addicts! :-) Try searching for "IGWP" - there are 9 subtitled episodes out so far, released by SARS - the quality is from excellent upwards.... :-)

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Feb 2nd, '07, 08:46

Ahhh... finally finished this series thanks to SARS. I've got to say my favorite character in this series was Ken Watanabe's Yokoyama. My favorite episodes were the last few eps where everything came together instead of just random help the citizens of Ikebukuro eps (which of course was basically the theme of the series). I was satisfied with the ending. Maybe it could've been better, but I thought it was appropriate.
The series seemingly masters combining comedy with every aspect of the series, from the opening credits, right down to the very end of the series.

spoiler for the last episode:
I mean c'mon... the little girl with the knife trying to avenge her bro in the hospital?! LMAO!! Who saw that coming?!?? I mean after everything seemed to be resolved. lol
And yet the laughs still don't make the tragedies any less serious (at least to me it doesn't). I thought they did a great job with the timing for all the jokes. It keeps the series entertaining but keeps it serious when it absolutely needs to. Easily one of my favorite j-drama series, if not just for the uniqueness of the series itself. But because of the content, it's probably not for everyone.

shades of truth

Post by shades of truth » Feb 3rd, '07, 00:40

Liantasse wrote:Yeap, there's a lot of irony going on and it makes for a VERY good story... The way I see it, the instance you mentioned could be read the other way around: The King always wears a marijuana leaf necklace ("woooow, how coooool!" :P ) YET the G Boys have a very strict policy to avoid drugs like it's fire.

Another instance (and very funny one) is that
Makoto is hugely popular with the ladies, and generally thought a stud, but actually he cannot have "sex on demand" to save his life!! XD :lol ...And that's what made his experience with Kana all the more significant, and revealing of his true feelings, I think.
I don't claim to understand things much better, but I'll try to suggest some answers to your questions. Maybe someone has better ones?
how shun died....
I think it's pretty clear that someone from the Black Angels killed him. (Or so we are led to believe so far. It could well be that someone else did it, and is trying to mislead people into blaming the Black Angels, in the very same way that the latter are doing all manner of mischief and making it all seem that the G Boys have done it - painting people in yellow etc. If it's like that, it will be yet another piece of irony...) I think someone, who had been contacting him before, finally came and kidnapped him, and did to him what we saw... I also think that that "someone" had been trying to persuade Shun to betray Makoto and/or the G Boys somehow... And Shun resisted... to the bitter end.

and like how he was sending signals?
Well, he kept telling Makoto he had something to tell him, didn't he? Or at least he always looked like he wanted to tell him something... And then he told him "Please don't hate me", which I take to mean that someone was pressuring him into betraying Makoto, and at that time Shun himself didn't know whether he'd be able to resist or he'd finish by selling Makoto... Also, the fact that he had been keping away from his girlfriend shows that he was trying to avoid getting her involved: he didn't want the people threatening him to use her as a means of persuasion... Or so I think, this could all be nonsense, of course :P

and the drawing of the girl...hikaru i think?
Yes, it was Hikaru, I believe so, too. That could mean two things, I think:
- either it's a clue to who is behind his death - and I do think that Hikaru is involved somehow, anyway;
- or it could be that Shun has really liked Hikaru all this time, but never showed his feelings because she was after Makoto. I think this is quite likely. So maybe it's not "either-or" but "both-and" :P Or, of course, maybe "neither", but a much cleverer thing :P

and the whole thing between yamai and hikaru.
As I understand it, the relationship between those two has a longer history, going before the moment when the series starts. I don't think Hikaru was from the beginning a tool of someone else, pursuing Makoto just to get closer to him and be able to better spy on him, but to me it seems she is at present used in that way, whether she wants it or not. My supposition is that Yamai wants to bring down Takashi, and Makoto too, in his pursuit of domination in the area, and is using Hikaru to get information on them, or maybe for more.

oHh and and ...the detective...i dont understand what makoto found out. he's like....'now it makes a lot of sense'
Makoto realized that the detective had agreed to cooperate with the yakuza boss, and "now it made sense" that the Black Angels were getting away with all the bad things they were doing. What Makoto doesn't know, however, is how the yakuza boss persuaded the detective to turn a blind eye on Yamai and his gang (by threatening to harm/kill his hospitalized wife). Makoto thinks simply that he is corrupted, and is doing it for money.
I do hope all this was of help, and didn't make you more confused XD If someone has got better ideas, please share!!!
wow thanks for your help!!!! :cheers: :cheers:
now when i watch it...im like "ohhHHhhHHHhhh..." hahaha thank you! LOVE THE KING!!

touchthesun

Post by touchthesun » Feb 3rd, '07, 19:04

Any news on the special and if SARSs plans to sub it? Sorry if it's been asked thousands of times. I know I got a torrent off here for the raw special, but as far as I could tell, it was never seeded. Any succeed in completing that torrent, or was it taken off the site? D:

sakitolover

Post by sakitolover » Feb 5th, '07, 02:52

i didnt even now that iwgp had a special? it does?

booniez

Post by booniez » Feb 9th, '07, 06:18

Here's a question I haven't been able to find the answer to:

Who is the actress who plays "Jessie," the King's squeeze? I thought she was very funny in her limited role.

blackcoffee

Post by blackcoffee » Mar 12th, '07, 02:05

sakitolover wrote:i didnt even now that iwgp had a special? it does?
yup it does.. i think sars is subbing it.. u can check for updates on their site. (:

ramdisboner

Post by ramdisboner » Mar 14th, '07, 23:16

i finished watching this and i must say it is different. i haven't seen a drama like this one before. had a couple good plot twist. does anybody know if there are any dramas that are similar to this one? style/plot wise

Magicus

Post by Magicus » Mar 15th, '07, 17:47

ramdisboner wrote:i finished watching this and i must say it is different. i haven't seen a drama like this one before. had a couple good plot twist. does anybody know if there are any dramas that are similar to this one? style/plot wise
This drama was written by kudo kankuro whos dramas are usually very unique, if you enjoyed this you would probably enjoy Kizarazu Cat's Eye and Tiger and Dragon.
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kudo_Kankuro

This drama was definately original. The ending was seriously crazy but I loved it the whole way through.

KuroiUsagi

Post by KuroiUsagi » Aug 25th, '07, 09:50

Hey um.. I saw that Yamapi was in this drama and I was wondering from those that finished it..
In what episode does he die/is found dead? :cry:
I only wanted to try this series because he was in it, because the theme doesn't seem so interesting to me (but I might change my mind xD)

narutaru
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by narutaru » Aug 25th, '07, 14:12

You should definetly watch it. It is a great series and Yamapi is sooo cute in it.

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Sep 16th, '07, 09:48

KuroiUsagi wrote:Hey um.. I saw that Yamapi was in this drama and I was wondering from those that finished it..
In what episode does he die/is found dead? :cry:
I only wanted to try this series because he was in it, because the theme doesn't seem so interesting to me (but I might change my mind xD)
i can't exactly remember.. but i'm thinking that you're not gonna watch this if he died early on? as far as i can remember he died on the 2nd or 3rd to the last episode. btw, i'd really recommend this. don't miss YamaP at his CUTEST phase. LOL

this is one of the best doramas i've watched.. not only cast-wise.. (YamaP, Tomo-chan, Yosuke Kubozuka, Ken Watanabe) but the story itself is wonderfully written.

LOL @ kusmog
when that happened.. i was like, "Ehhhh?"

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Sep 16th, '07, 15:29

IWGP rocks! I just loved the ending (spoiler for those who ain't seen it)
the way Kubozuka Yosuke is beating Nagase Tomoya and his hands are shaking you could feel his anguish, lol.
Yeah I think Kubozuka Yosuke is a really good actor just loved him as the king of G-Boys. He was good in GTO as well and Strawberry on the Shortcake would not have been as bearable if he was not in it, (Okay I tell a lie Fukada Kyoko as Misawa Yui was sooo cute esp the way she talked :wub: )
Whats all this about Kubozuka Yosuke suicide attempt :-( would love to see him in new dramas.

Getting off-topic really wished they made a second season that would just be the best thing ever :-) , can't wait to watch the special!!!!! (when it gets subbed)

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Sep 16th, '07, 15:51

^ quite off topic.. but just would like to comment.. the chance of seeing him in a new dorama is next to zero.. bcoz he had altogether quit the industry.. he's actually making music (which will be better for you not to hear. .srsly.) right now. noone wants to work with him.. apparently he has attitude problems.. so directors and producer turn him down.. despite the talent.

about the 2nd season of IWGP.. i'm not entirely sure about this.. i can't remember where i've read this..
the ending of IWGP was forced to be earlier than planned bcoz alot of kids in Japan are emulating King and his G-boys.. (funnily, it was still able to release an SP)

yep.. to see Nagase as Makoto again.. can't wait for the SP to be subbed. LOL

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Sep 16th, '07, 16:07

@morai_naki:
apparently he has attitude problems
wow never knew he had a attitude problem thats to bad because he really is talented.
he's actually making music (which will be better for you not to hear. .srsly.)
ha-ha thanks for the heads up :salut: if his that bad will not go near any of his music even out of curiosity.
the chance of seeing him in a new dorama is next to zero
Do you have any information on this?? :D

Sorry people for going off topic, again IWGP rocks!!!
Last edited by sahansah on Sep 17th, '07, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Sep 17th, '07, 12:17

^ anou.. what i meant was you're prolly not gonna see him in any doramas.. coz he has announced that he's retiring from acting.

and yep.. i would really recommend that you NOT listen to his music.. (if it really can be called music.)

btw..

question..

kinda spoily i guess.. but just a minor one..
that guy with the kansai accent.. one of the policemen.. is there a rational explanation on why he suddenly lost his accent towards the end of the series? i've been wondering about it since i watch IWGP.. and no one was able to answer my question..

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Sep 17th, '07, 13:15

morai_naki - thanksss ha-ha, lol yeahh, I think I got the wrong idea read it wrong :doh:

Kubozuka Yosuke quit the industry, shame seems sooooo ironic to quit a career in acting where he has talent and to persue a career in music where he has no talent :blink

Your question hmmmm I remember who you mean but can't think of an answer sorry...will have to rewatch IWGP at some point, is it not metioned??

Again thanks for the info :thumright:

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Sep 17th, '07, 17:14

nope.. as far as i know, there was no explanation given.
i might re-watch it sometime too..
ack. i need to get a copy of it first.
i just watched it in CR last time.. and it's been taken down.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Sep 17th, '07, 18:30

Ah okay only watched IWGP a couple of months back my memory is pretty weak. lol
Is CR like youtube or something?
So you haven't got a copy? awww :-( that sucks youtube is lame they have the first ep but don't think its complete. You can download it from here SARS have done a great job with the subbing.
Prob rewatch it in couple of months time, gonna be busy with Uni and have got some new dramas I wanna get out the way. Then hopefully I can answer yor question :D lol

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Sep 18th, '07, 14:21

^ thanks..
yup. CR or crunchyroll..
it's usually more complete than youtube..
but the vids are smaller.

yeah.. i'll eventually dL it, i guess..
but i'm still dLing Hana Kimi, and will prolly be busy dLing Utahime next month. LOL

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Sep 18th, '07, 16:41

cool thanks gonna check out crunchyroll - ahaha what a name...

oooo I'm currently downlaoding Hana kimi can't wait til all the eps are subbed and then watch it :D (I think I've mentioned this all over the place hmmm sound like a broken record)

Utahime, yeahhhh the new drama by Tomoya Nagase gonna come out next month!! can't wait, kinda stumbled onto IWGP after seeing what other dramas Kubozuka Yosuke was in, Nagase ws class. Also seen of his my boss my hero (he was good in it but I never found it that funny really) and tiger and dragon :lol what can I say?

Wonder what other funny dramas has Nagase been in?

Hmmm think I'm going kinda off topic - IWGP rules :-)

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Sep 18th, '07, 17:23

that's really one of the strongest points of IWGP..
the cast.. really really amazing actors~!
LOL.. i was also convinced to watch it because of Yosuke.. and i'm glad i did.

well, Utahime is a romantic comedy.
i loved him in MBMH.. (ok.. i've always loved him in any dorama..)
he's also very comical in Mukodono.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Sep 18th, '07, 19:50

Yeah the cast of IWGP is good and Koyuki who when I was watching never knew was in the last samurai shes sooo pretty :wub:
Wow, lol what a coincidence that we both watched IWGP because of Yosuke, did you not know of Nagase then or are dramas like IWGP not what you mainly watch? I never knew of him - because i just got into J-dramas like 5-6 months back. Yeahh and I'm into comedy dramas mainly.

Yes I've heard of Mukodono and want to watch it but can't find any subbed version of it I think :-(
[/list]

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Sep 19th, '07, 03:22

^ hnnn..
we're just the same..
i got hooked into jdoramas a few months back..
i was able to watch Gokusen 1 a few years back when it was aired locally.. i took notice of Matsumoto Jun, but that was it..
and then
when my imouto.. rather.. forced me to watch Gokusen 2..
i sorta got hooked. i watch jdoramas the whole summer through..
then there's Nobuta wo Produce.. and Kurosagi.
i was sorta fangurling over YamaP at that time. (ok.. i still do. hehehe)
and i was looking for other of YamaP's doramas..
i noticed IWGP.. but i though to myself that his role might be quite small bcoz it's his first dorama role..
i happened to watch GTO, too.. (i totally love Yosuke's role here.)
so, when i found out that Yosuke is also in IWGP.. i watched it.
and half way through the first episode.. i kinda noticed how hot the main actor was..
and the rest is.. as they say.. history. LOL
my post turned out to be a jdorama-addict history. hahaha

and i basically can watch any kind of dorama.. love story.. human drama.. historical.. comedic.. etc.

mukodono is up at CR. (www.crunchyroll.com) just search of "mukodono"
the 2003 version tho is not complete.

btw, do you have any updates on how the subbing for IWGP's SP is coming?
been waiting for it~

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Sep 19th, '07, 12:43

@morai_naki:
lol I too actually saw my first drama like a year ago, densha otoko (which I thought was really funny) which my bro made me watch.
It was only this year that I started watching J-Dramas properly mostly through the summer. Yeah Yamapi was just soo good in Nobuta wo Produce, his one of my fav actors. Actually I saw Nobuta wo Produce before IWGP and never realized he was in it, looking at it again how could I have not guessed! and this is my mini-history lesson at an end lol.

Thanks for the mukodono info gonna check tht out when get time :cheers:

About the special apprently theres a RAW out on this site. I know that SARS are subbing the special which according to thier homepage "Work on IWGP SP (Editing--amrayu. After HK is done.)" So they gonna be starting the editing after they finish with Hana kimi by the looks of it. (Don't know what stage of subbing editing is at).
I also can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Sep 19th, '07, 12:48

I recently started watching this again. I forgot I loved Makoto and Masa <3

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Sep 19th, '07, 13:27

by the looks of it seems you can see Makoto and Masa again! (well the actors at least) in the new upcoming drama Utahime! although I don't know if they are going to share any screen time or anything.
Last edited by sahansah on Sep 19th, '07, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Sep 19th, '07, 14:12

@sahansah..
well.. patience is a virtue.. i'm also watching HK right now..
so, i'll be a good gurl and wait for them to finish. LOL

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Sep 19th, '07, 15:50

@morai_naki, I sooo wanna watch hana Kimi :-( ahaha patience a virtue? Ain't heard that before :D

Respect SARS but I wish they hurry up!!!! lol, nah they can take thier time after all you can't rush quality...

Just been looking at this board its been just us two for most of it. I think we are scaring people off, lol.

morai_naki

Post by morai_naki » Sep 20th, '07, 12:49

LOL..
i hope not.. am i scary?
my username denotes a sad meaning.. not a scary one. LOL..

and you're right.. can't rush quality.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Sep 20th, '07, 18:18

lol, of course you are morai_naki, your a very scary person :w00t: just kidding, you seem a nice person, helpful :D
ooo what does morai naki translate into? am I correct in thinking its japanese??? (don't shoot me in the foot if I'm wide off the mark!)

err I think I'm going way off topic here - best to PM me to keep mods and IWGP lovers happy :thumleft:

kekekeke

Post by kekekeke » Oct 30th, '07, 19:45

does anybody know what happened in the IWGP special ? i only have ep 1-11 :(

jessiesoon
Malaysia

Post by jessiesoon » Dec 3rd, '07, 04:44

i can't find the subtitles..any idea where can i get it???

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Jan 5th, '08, 21:54

I just finished watching the series and I have to say that it is the most unique J-Drama I've watched so far. I'll watch the TV Special ASAP; but since they really tied up almost all loose ends, I would like to ask what the TV Special is all about? It's 137 minutes long and I really don't wanna watch a dragged story. Anybody want to say something about that?

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Jan 15th, '08, 04:11

I finished this in one day :O
It's definitely one of the best japanese drama's I've seen. the G-boy king was really good at acting (i just realised he's also the Ping Pong Boy :lol )
Things happen so unexpected...
haha i actually guessed correctly who the murderer because after the second incident because... it's suspicious that only makato's lovers are
harmed and well the only that wasn't is hikaru. But no idea she had a split personality
I checked wiki, and it said that Shun guest starred in Episode 2. I can't find him :scratch: can anyone screen cap it and tell me roughly what time he popped out?

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Jan 21st, '08, 12:20

melonyhappy

I believe this guy to be Shun and you should start to watch the 2nd episode from 32:30 to 33:35 (You may not be able to tell by looking at him but by listening to his voice you can tell it's definately Shun):
The one holding the phone at the front in white

Doesn't quite look like Shun its hard to actually see his face though due to the baseball cap, the darkness and it being a side shot of his face (The guy opposite nagase with the baseball cap turned backwards)
You don't see much of him. I think he appears only at this time in the episode, he may also appear near the end of the episdoe in the background as part of the G-boy's crew
when they catch the strangler.
:scratch: Don't know if he appears anywhere else in the episode

It sure is a blink and you miss appereance but then again this was shot in the year 2000 and I don't think Shun was that famous or big then :scratch:

Anyways IWGP is one of my fav Dorama's!!!! Just need to watch the special someday soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Jan 21st, '08, 17:37

I watched the special and liked it. Not exciting as much as the series but still good.

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Jan 24th, '08, 11:44

I just saw the special :cheers: - it was godd and reminded me how the series rocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: - The downside of it was Kubozuka Yosuke only appeared in it for a little while :-(

Awwww I miss IWGP :-( I wish they would have made a second season at least but oh well

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Jan 27th, '08, 18:21

sahansah thank you!
Ah... so that was him. Icouldn't tell.. he was more like an "extra" i guess.

There's a special?

hehe now i'm watching Tiger and Dragon. Same scriptwriter... it's pretty good. I recommend it for those that enjoyed this show

sahansah

Post by sahansah » Jan 29th, '08, 00:05

No probs....I know even I didn't recognise him until I checked the cast list and saw his name

Tiger and Dragon! Thats another good show :thumleft: if you like IWGP and Tiger and Dragon I suggest you watch Kisarazu Cat's Eye, same scriptwriter as both IWGP and Tiger and Dragon :D

Yeah and don't forget to watch the IWGP Special :cry: ....last time we see the likes of Makoto and Takashi :salut:

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Oct 27th, '08, 22:54

Okay, watching KudoKan's latest series Ryuusei no Kizuna has been reminding just how much I love his work. In particular, it's making me think a lot about IWGP because of the mix of comedy and dark themes. So I just had to pull out this old thread to express my love for IWGP.

It seems like this series always went in so many unexpected directions, and it could take you from laughter to sadness in a way that very few series can manage. All the comedy led me to really drop my defenses while watching this, so when something serious happened
Shun's murdered body falling out of that locker full of black feathers, in particular,
it felt like I'd been smacked with a brick right between the eyes. The scene from my spoiler is still the single most memorable moment for me out of any jdrama. But the greatest feeling I get from the drama is still laughter. IWGP's one of the most amazing dramas I've ever seen, and I just had to give it some props.

Seelenfang

Post by Seelenfang » Mar 21st, '09, 22:30

Just watching the special... and the band at the begining at about 15 min its just so awesome sucking :crazy:
I come from Germany and there is a band called Ramstein, I'm not a fan of it, but they are much cooler than this sucking band...

greetz from the northsea
seelenfang

RGVEDA81

Post by RGVEDA81 » May 26th, '09, 14:54

Hello :)

Would be someone so nice and seed Episode 2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 ?

That would be great!!!

Thanks

RGVEDA

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » May 26th, '09, 15:01

@RGVEDA81 Which version you looking for? RAWs or Sars?

RGVEDA81

Post by RGVEDA81 » May 26th, '09, 15:03

Sars! Sorry, i forgot to mention that! Thanks for the very fast reply :)

RGVEDA

lo-chan

Post by lo-chan » May 26th, '09, 21:25

This is my favourite drama, there's just not anything like it! And sars subs were great too. I thought it was a little strange in the beginning but I'm so happy I kept watching.

RGVEDA81

Post by RGVEDA81 » May 27th, '09, 16:45

I still need Episode 5, 6, 7 and 10.

It would be great if someone could seed these Episodes :)

Thanks a lot!

RGVEDA

RGVEDA81

Post by RGVEDA81 » May 28th, '09, 15:27

Sorry to post every day ;)

I still need Episode 5, 7 and 10.

Would be someone so nice and seed these 3 Episodes? That would be great!

I hope i get all Episodes. It would be a shame if i could´nt download these 3 Episodes.

RGVEDA

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » May 28th, '09, 15:58

RGVEDA81 wrote:Sorry to post every day ;)

I still need Episode 5, 7 and 10.

Would be someone so nice and seed these 3 Episodes? That would be great!

I hope i get all Episodes. It would be a shame if i could´nt download these 3 Episodes.

RGVEDA
Seed requests usually goes in the Seed Requests threads and the dramas is discussed in these threads.
Here is a long list of dramas where you can make seed requests: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/threadin ... uests.html

RGVEDA81

Post by RGVEDA81 » May 28th, '09, 16:15

Oh great! Thanks a lot! I hasn´t found this thread at first :)

Thanks a lot!

RGVEDA

peachydomo

Post by peachydomo » May 30th, '09, 04:35

This drama was really different, I remember thinking that it was some crazy fun comedy drama akin to Lunch Queen but when I started watching it I was blown away. I didn't expect all the dark moments and twists but they definitely added to the "feel" of the drama. I loved the characters too and how they didn't disappear after an episode but came back in later ones making the drama complete.

And Kubozuka Yosuke's role as King of the G-boys was amazing. SO MUCH FUN to watch. Loved every moment : )

RGVEDA81

Post by RGVEDA81 » May 30th, '09, 07:51

Now i have all Episodes. :) Let the Fun begin :D

RGVEDA

haruhi-san

Post by haruhi-san » Aug 1st, '10, 19:29

Im about to watch IWGP again, it was one of the good ones. Very funny, action, dark, and entertaining all together.

I especially want to see my lovely Nagase Tomoya and Sei-chan again :salut: :argue:

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Aug 1st, '10, 20:35

Hearing of you re-watching it makes me want to watch it again as well. Gotta see King again lol