[Discussion] Galileo

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
chokubi

Post by chokubi » Nov 29th, '07, 10:35

Personally, I find the doodling coupled with the theme music extremely cheesy.
It's like the superhero saying his punchline (without fail, in each episode).
But I still like the cast... oops I mean the drama itself. :sweat:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 30th, '07, 02:21

joeboygo wrote:
auroragb wrote:That's the same thing that bothers me, does ANYONE know what equations he's writing? They seem to be just so arbitrary and have nothing to do with the issue at hand.
I have have the same problem with the whole equation-writing schtick, which got very old after the second episode. It would make sense to me if the solutions to the mysteries required some form of mathematical computation. But they generally have not. Take for example episode 5, where Yukawa himself admits that the problem had absolutely nothing to do with physics. Well duh, so what was he trying to figure out while he was doodling on the police car window glass?
hmm... I think it does require some physics.
Without math calculations and/or testing, how would Galileo realize it took 2 strings to kill him, hence the second fire bolt shooting higher above. Why not 3 or more strings to cut like a saw? I think the person who commited suicide must have tested it out also to realize the first string won't kill him. He would need a second one with stronger pull to do it. But damn...that must have been a painful death.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Nov 30th, '07, 03:14

People need to know that Monday@9 is turning into a "for general audiences" timeslot. It used to be "THE love story" slot, but that's changed in a past few years. Either way, their goal is to attract as many viewers as possible, not to create a real crime-solving mystery.
The whole point is how the crime was done, not who anyway.
There are a bit too many plotholes, but hey, you're not supposed to think too seriously for this series.

This series is more of a comedy genre than a mystery.
And yeah, calculations... Absolutely not required to do it on the spot, but something needs to be calculated in every single episode to prove it possible.
Last edited by 8thSin on Nov 30th, '07, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Nov 30th, '07, 03:15

seirin wrote:
joeboygo wrote:
auroragb wrote:That's the same thing that bothers me, does ANYONE know what equations he's writing? They seem to be just so arbitrary and have nothing to do with the issue at hand.
I have have the same problem with the whole equation-writing schtick, which got very old after the second episode. It would make sense to me if the solutions to the mysteries required some form of mathematical computation. But they generally have not. Take for example episode 5, where Yukawa himself admits that the problem had absolutely nothing to do with physics. Well duh, so what was he trying to figure out while he was doodling on the police car window glass?
hmm... I think it does require some physics.
Without math calculations and/or testing, how would Galileo realize it took 2 strings to kill him, hence the second fire bolt shooting higher above. Why not 3 or more strings to cut like a saw? I think the person who commited suicide must have tested it out also to realize the first string won't kill him. He would need a second one with stronger pull to do it. But damn...that must have been a painful death.
To solve it without physics would be quite simple. The genius is in putting the pieces together.
For example, someone like Conan would realize, once he determined that the bow was the culprit. that there are two strings because there are two flames. Whethere or not there were more than two is irrelevant.

He would then realize that the weapon must have been removed by the first witness (the wife). Then would go about searching her room on stupid pretext (standard Conan MO) and make her confess with the found bow. The experiment and math is purely gratuitous and serves no function. In all the cases, any good detective can solve it by chasing evidence rather than some equation. Number is fascinating (tho they're not above gimmicks) in that they use math for prediction and analysis. All that's needed in Galileo is a competant CSI or something

ManweVaire

Post by ManweVaire » Nov 30th, '07, 03:58

what I do love about Galileo is why yukawa is as he is (childhood epxeriences, etc.) and how utsumi's charecter affects him, her being his complete opposite.. :)

the doodling part more of reflects yukawa's character, someone who needs everything to be equated.. :D any OC would understand.. :lol

but I for one believe that not everything can be explained through science.. yukawa has yet to experience a case that science cannot solve... that would be really interesting.. :)

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Nov 30th, '07, 04:08

I don't know if CSI can solve everything
How would the CSI prove the guy in episode 2 really parked his car there if there were no witnesses? Look for tire tracks? I'm sure many cars drove through there.

As for the arrow case. I suppose they could have solved it, but unless they know some science they might not be able to prove the way he committed suicide? When I heard the clue that he was an archer, I figured out he used a bow to kill himself. But I didn't occur to me he used a lighter to burn the string. I thought he shot an arrow which broke the string which somehow got pulled and made something taunt and suffocated or himself on the neck. Course, I wouldn't have been able to explain the fireball ^^;

Anyhow, I thought it was important to figure out how the person is murdered or died. The experiments might be unnecessary but it's good to prove it? Hypothesis are guesses until proven through tests.

strawberrynkiwi

Post by strawberrynkiwi » Nov 30th, '07, 04:36

I can see why people do find Galileo getting boring or dry. But for me, I do agree that they need more plot and character development. This drama is entertaining, and that is good enough for me.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Nov 30th, '07, 04:56

seirin wrote:I don't know if CSI can solve everything
How would the CSI prove the guy in episode 2 really parked his car there if there were no witnesses? Look for tire tracks? I'm sure many cars drove through there.

As for the arrow case. I suppose they could have solved it, but unless they know some science they might not be able to prove the way he committed suicide? When I heard the clue that he was an archer, I figured out he used a bow to kill himself. But I didn't occur to me he used a lighter to burn the string. I thought he shot an arrow which broke the string which somehow got pulled and made something taunt and suffocated or himself on the neck. Course, I wouldn't have been able to explain the fireball ^^;

Anyhow, I thought it was important to figure out how the person is murdered or died. The experiments might be unnecessary but it's good to prove it? Hypothesis are guesses until proven through tests.
For ep 2, it's still a case of follow the evidence.
Most of the cases are investigated backwards. Focused on hearsay leading them into corrider rather than the path.

The car, is irrelevant. The suspect is irrelevant. The trick is recognizing the boots. Why are there frozen boots in this factory? But that is also irrelevant.

At the end they "proved" that the suspect is not a suspect, big deal. They forgot the important case, who killed the victim. They focused on the mirage, but this is a issue that should not be the focus of the investigation. This was a waste of tax $$$$

All the cases here focus on physics apps which are not really the focus of physics research. You have cases which require optics, chemistry, kinetics, material science. Things that are taught on under-grad level, no physics dept focus on these things because they are well known, no research is needed. If the guy was a Civil engineer or a material sci prof, it would have made a lot more sense

CSI is staffed with scientists (not all are, but they have them). The science here is trivial, mostly beneath the purview of univ. level researcher but is bread and butter for the CSI science staff. With the right intel, these cases are quite solvable by CSI.
I'm such a nerd :roll :sweat:

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Nov 30th, '07, 23:15

seirin wrote: hmm... I think it does require some physics.
Ah, my mistake, I was actually talking about episode 6 in my comment. In that episode, the solution to the mystery involved pattern recognition, not math. He sees the house and window and matches it up to the illustrated images he had seen previously. In that case the contrived computation by Yukawa actually drew the audience away from the crucial clue to the puzzle, because it tended to fool them into believing that the solution was abstract when in fact it was purely visual.

And you are right in saying that episode 5 involved physics. But whether a bow generates sufficient torque to strangle an adult male isn't something you would compute. It's something you would measure using instruments. Also, the more critical issue of the mystery was not a question of how much, how strong, how long, etc., but a question of just plain how. It was a mechanical, not a mathematical mystery. It's the very kind of mystery that Edogawa Conan routinely solves without need for fancy equations. It's also the most fun to watch because it is usually proven through a re-enactment (which Yukawa did in fact perform to solve the mystery). So I still have an issue with the bogus equation writing in episode 5 as well. So far, the only episodes where I can believe sophisticated arithmetic was actually necessary were episodes 1 and 4. Episode 1 involved adding up several angles of deflection, wavelength over distance, etc. Episode 4 involved ultrasound frequencies in a fluid medium, among other things.

Don't get me wrong though. I like the show in general. My criticism is directed at a very tiny part of what has otherwise been a satisfying whole. I just wish they'd lose the contrived equation writing because it's excessively histrionic. And in the case of episode 6, it was downright misleading.
Last edited by joeboygo on Dec 1st, '07, 00:45, edited 2 times in total.

concertmistress

Post by concertmistress » Dec 1st, '07, 00:21

Ah, my mistake, I was actually talkng about about episode 6 in my comment. In that episode, the solution to the mystery involved pattern recognition, not math. He sees he house and matches it up to the illustrated images he had seen previously. In that case the contrived computation by Yukawa actually drew the audience awayfrom the crucial clue to the puzzle, because it tended to make them believe that the solution was abstract when in fact it was purely visual.

And you are right in saying that episode 5 involved physics. But whether a bow generates sufficient torque to strangle an adult isn't something you would compute. It's something you would measure, using proper instruments. So I still have an issue with the bogus math.

Don't get me wrong though. I like the show in general. I just wish they'd lose the contrived equation writing because it's excessively histrionic.
I totally agree w/ the comment about ep. 6.

For ep. 5, as an engineer myself I do believe you need to come up with an hypothesis, ie a starting point. w/o doing some initial calculations, you're just basically using trial and error via the measurements until you find the solution, which is not very productive imo.

As for the comment about ep. 2, I don't believe it's a waste of tax payer's money to go thru all the exercises. The wrong man is being accused; he may be detained as long as possible for the DA to build a case based on circumstantial evidence, or be released in God knows when.

And about all the crimes not requiring Yukawa's expertise; sure it's all undergrad Physics + other courses, but as a (tenured?) Physics professor he should know these by heart. I don't know how US universities work these days, but while I was an undergrad even the most prominent professors are req'd to teach at least 1 undergrad course per semester (and yes it does include Physics 101), which is standard practice for all Ivy league schools. I guess big schools like UC Berkerley may be different, but It's not like he's performing the experiment all by himself; he has research assistants to do all the grunt work for him. Plus they did mention he's well versed in Smolin's LQG theory, which means his research probably involves quantum mechanics and general relativity.

As a parting comment, I'd like to mention that the scripts for the past few episodes have really gone downhill. Ep. 7 has major plot holes, which is not surprising since the script is written by the same guy who wrote Liar Game. There he introduced tons of plot holes and logic gaffes into an otherwise fairly full proof story from a manga. I highly doubt these exist in the original novel; just hope they can get back on track with the principal writer (who wrote the first 4 episodes) for the remaining episodes.
Last edited by concertmistress on Dec 1st, '07, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Dec 1st, '07, 00:29

concertmistress:

I edited my comment right after yours, I'm sorry. I 'm really iterested to know your thoughts as an engineer on my additional comments, so please look over my post once more, if it's not too much trouble. Thank you.

Also, to seirin, about episode 5:
Strangulation was caused by just one string, the second one. The first string was much shorter than the second, and it did not go around the neck. It was not used to strangle the man but was attached in order to squeeze the bow and loosen up enough slack in the second string; that way the man could use the 2nd string to form a loop large enough for his head to go through and position the loop around his neck. Once the first string burned though, the bow violently snapped back, suddenly tightening the loop around the neck and causing strangulation. Although the first string was not necesary to actually cause death, without it the 2nd string would have been too taut for the man to wind it around his neck.

My question is, why was it necessary to also cut the second string with a soldering iron? If the wife was going to do clean up anyway, why not just let her cut the string with scissors when she removes the bow? By the time the second string burned through, he would have already been dead, so cutting the second string with another soldering iron just made his suicide setup needlessly more complicated.
Last edited by joeboygo on Dec 1st, '07, 01:50, edited 4 times in total.

concertmistress

Post by concertmistress » Dec 1st, '07, 01:21

joeboygo wrote:concertmistress:

I edited my comment right after yours, I'm sorry. I 'm really iterested to know your thoughts as an engineer on my additional comments, so please look over my post once more, if it's not too much trouble. Thank you.
I agree that the important thing is how, but to prove the 'how' you still need a re-enactment, and that's where the calculations would come in. Yes, he doesn't have to do that on the spot; a person of his stature would probably only do an impromptu act like that if it's something really puzzling and complicated, which in this case it isn't (he should have a fairly good idea that it's feasible).

So basically I agree w/ you on getting rid of the equations-scribbling scenes, for on occasions like in ep. 6, instead of looking cool it would have the exact opposite effect.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Dec 1st, '07, 02:41

joeboygo wrote:Also, to seirin, about episode 5:
My question is, why was it necessary to also cut the second string with a soldering iron? If the wife was going to do clean up anyway, why not just let her cut the string with scissors when she removes the bow? By the time the second string burned through, he would have already been dead, so cutting the second string with another soldering iron just made his suicide setup needlessly more complicated.
My interpretation of that was
that the husband wanted to make it seem that the bow was not obviously involved even if the wife did not remove the bow. but it always felt like a bit of over-elavorate plot hole

I agree that the important thing is how, but to prove the 'how' you still need a re-enactment, and that's where the calculations would come in. Yes, he doesn't have to do that on the spot; a person of his stature would probably only do an impromptu act like that if it's something really puzzling and complicated, which in this case it isn't (he should have a fairly good idea that it's feasible).
Indeed, this is the case of most detective mysteries. I guess the reenactments are a kind of innovation and fun to watch but it's really just gratuitous.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Dec 1st, '07, 04:38

auroragb wrote: Indeed, this is the case of most detective mysteries. I guess the reenactments are a kind of innovation and fun to watch but it's really just gratuitous.
The reenactment of the crime is my favorite part of a mystery story, because I prefer to be shown how a crime was committed instead of just being told. Reenactments also have more dramatic potential because the audience to the demonstration usually iincludes a skeptical or doubtful character whose skepticism is suddenly replaced by amazement when the hero's demonstration proves all doubts wrong. Reenactments are especially fun in stories that involve the classic locked/sealed room conundrum, because they are all set up to look impossible at first glance. A good sealed room mystery is extremely difficult to construct, which is why for the best mystery writers, these types of stories are the most persuasive demonstrations that their imagination is better than yours. If the mystery is not well constructed, you will either see the solution from miles away, or the reenactment will not be persuasive. Usually, reenactments fail to persuade because the same result is not guaranteed to happen each time. That is one of my problems with episode 5 because
you cannot guarantee that the flame will leap out of the string like that. The string can smolder slowly without igniting to produce any visible flame. Also, the second soldering iron could be jolted out of place by the sudden movement of the bow.
In the very best reenactments, the solution will turn out to be so simple that there would be no doubt in your mind that if you performed the same experiment, you would be able to duplicate the results. For me, one of the best reenactments ever can be found in Volume 19, chapter 1 of Meitantei Conan (although the story arc actually begins in Vol. 18, ch.6). In the anime you can see it in episode 129. It is the story arc in which Haibara Ai :wub: makes her first appearance.

concertmistress

Post by concertmistress » Dec 1st, '07, 09:24

joeboygo wrote:For me, one of the best reenactments ever can be found in Volume 19, chapter 1 of Meitantei Conan (although the story arc actually begins in Vol. 18, ch.6). In the anime you can see it in episode 129. It is the story arc in which Haibara Ai :wub: makes her first appearance.
Ah, another Meitantei Conan fan I see...as simple as that solution is (and the author claims he always performs the re-enactment to ensure they're feasible before writing it into the story), I can also make the same claim as you did about episode 5 that it's not 100% full proof. The notebook could have collapsed prematurely, and more likey the cassette tape could get stuck or not rewound properly during the rewinding process (having hundreds of cassette tapes I know how often tapes can get stuck for no apparent reason).

My point is any scenario has an element of luck involved and is never 100% full proof, the key is to maximize the probability that it'll succeed and that's all you can hope for.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Dec 1st, '07, 15:49

concertmistress wrote:My point is any scenario has an element of luck involved and is never 100% full proof, the key is to maximize the probability that it'll succeed and that's all you can hope for.
Indeed, engineering redundancy is generally not meant for fool-proofing, but for best chances in case of fubar

@joeboygo- there are plenty of reenactment styles. One of my faves is the literal reenactment, where the original actors go thru the motions as one narrates and another either doubts or corrects the narration and hence the action. Sometimes they're particularly funny when the re-enactors break the fourth wall on the narrators

narrator: and she holds his hand over her breasts
re-enactor: No, I don't! Stop that! *slaps narrator*
:D

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Dec 3rd, '07, 05:20

joeboygo wrote:concertmistress:
Also, to seirin, about episode 5:
Strangulation was caused by just one string, the second one. The first string was much shorter than the second, and it did not go around the neck. It was not used to strangle the man but was attached in order to squeeze the bow and loosen up enough slack in the second string; that way the man could use the 2nd string to form a loop large enough for his head to go through and position the loop around his neck. Once the first string burned though, the bow violently snapped back, suddenly tightening the loop around the neck and causing strangulation. Although the first string was not necesary to actually cause death, without it the 2nd string would have been too taut for the man to wind it around his neck.

really? I thought the second string did it cuz it left a deeper mark. Hmm..maybe I should rewatch his explanation again.

I just watched episode 6. Hmm...I suppose it was pretty interesting since I'm a visual person. haha that word floating in water technique is interesting. Maybe I might try it out to freak out people on halloween ^^
what I don't get is why Yukawa suddenly showed up to find her when she was specifically told to go a lone? Was he worried she would be in trouble? O_o
But it would be dangerous though for her if he got caught following her there. And wasn't he busy researching on the case? How did he suddenly show up?

As for the chemical equation, I think it's needed but I don't think he needs equations to figure it out. With his brains, he should already know the results by heart what would happen if a thin layer of film was placed on carbonated water it would melt to leave the words floating.

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Dec 3rd, '07, 11:07

Just to know: one of the last tracks on Galileo OST is called "Yukawa Manabu x Utsumi Kaoru" and is definitely soft and lovey-dovey. Can we consider it a spoiler?

7654321friend

Post by 7654321friend » Dec 5th, '07, 01:50

omg! tis is so funny!!
Inagaki Goro and Katori Shingo's version of Galileo
everybody got to watch tis :lol
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1581552EhDBAq8h

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Dec 5th, '07, 07:24

That was pretty funny ^^; They did a good impression of Yukawa and the lady detective :lol The whole skit was funny though hehe :P

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » Dec 5th, '07, 09:56

Watched 4 episodes of this drama soo far..and I thought these episodes were awesome..the 2 leads r kawaii lol

this is my fav drama for the current season..well I didn't watch Iryu2 yet but I think these 2 will be my fav :wub:

thaanks SARS for subbing this drama :thumright:

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » Dec 6th, '07, 11:50

Galileo is a rocky boat for me. Started out good, got a bit meh towards the middle, got better again, and now I'm standing here feeling a bit lost because it's nearly over and I wished for more character development in general.

Shingo is a great Utsumi btw xD Don't you think?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Dec 6th, '07, 19:37

TabooxNightmare wrote:Galileo is a rocky boat for me. Started out good, got a bit meh towards the middle, got better again, and now I'm standing here feeling a bit lost because it's nearly over and I wished for more character development in general.

Shingo is a great Utsumi btw xD Don't you think?
Yeah!! Shingo was good ehhe He made me laugh so hard LOL I thought...that's exactly what she does and it's so annoying ^^; Goro did a funny job of exaggerating Yukawa too ^^;

I don't know what you mean by character development. If you mean between the 2 characters, I really don't find how they would match. He has nothing to discuss with her other than the case. Intellectually, she's not up to his level. Like he said, he wants someone he can talk to along his level. Physically, I don't think he finds her all that attractive. So if it's not mental or physical attraction I dunno what could develop from there.

But it would be interesting to hear Yukawa's story.

Magicus

Post by Magicus » Dec 7th, '07, 03:43

Yeah this isn't exactly a show that allows for character development anyways being a case by case format. That is usually the biggest problem with these kind of dramas but Galileo is pretty entertaining regardless.

Figures about the smapxsmap clip, I saw that paris hilton was the guest this week and decided not to download it :| That was the best skit they've done in a long long time, C=CCB!

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Dec 11th, '07, 01:48

Episode 9 looks pretty cool, high expectations for the finale :-)

Unfortunately, no A/S-class actor as guest... At least it's a S-class MC/News caster.
Kume Hiroshi is an interesting choice though, he has the mysterious-evil aura too, perfect for the role. His last dorama appearance was back in '70s o_O!

What I would like to see in the finale:

1. Yukawa getting a wrong conclusion before finding out the truth, 2 "sudden inspiration" scenes.

2. 3rd "Sudden inspiration" scene recalling many conversations with Utsumi in the very end, where Yukawa finally finds out that Utsumi has feelings for him.

3. He wrote equations on a police car window once, and scribbled on asphalt with a rock once... I want to see him wreak havok by scribbling random equations on a police car with a rock or equivalent outrageous damage XD

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Dec 12th, '07, 16:47

hm...I'm surprised he doesn't get sued for vandalism :P Since he's writing graffiti everywhere. ahh in the last subbed episode, I didn't even realize that was kyoko fukada. She seems to have lost quite a bit of weight ^^; Or maybe I just haven't seen her for a long time and forgot how she looks like.

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Dec 12th, '07, 20:37

seirin wrote:hm...I'm surprised he doesn't get sued for vandalism :P Since he's writing graffiti everywhere. ahh in the last subbed episode, I didn't even realize that was kyoko fukada. She seems to have lost quite a bit of weight ^^; Or maybe I just haven't seen her for a long time and forgot how she looks like.
She's lost the breasts she had in Yama Onna Kabe Onna (and had not in Remote)

chickenruns

Post by chickenruns » Dec 13th, '07, 01:16

me in contrary, i like the lead girl. she's cute, stubborn and smart regardless. the guy is a genius, ok, but he's not someone of unreachable level, so some rabu scenes are coming up for sure. do you know "unlike poles attract each other" ?? anyway why this genius guy has to write equations everywhere, me don't think it's correct :crazy:

meldinsky

Post by meldinsky » Dec 14th, '07, 05:19

kiddygrade wrote:Just to know: one of the last tracks on Galileo OST is called "Yukawa Manabu x Utsumi Kaoru" and is definitely soft and lovey-dovey. Can we consider it a spoiler?
yeah,I was thinking about that too.Maybe in the movie,if not in the drama?
3. He wrote equations on a police car window once, and scribbled on asphalt with a rock once... I want to see him wreak havok by scribbling random equations on a police car with a rock or equivalent outrageous damage
Like somebody said,he's lucky nobody sues him for vandalism yet. XD

I found these clips of a programme called "Our Music" on YouTube where KOH+ was the guest and they were talking and (I'm guessing) Shibasaki Kou interviewed Fukuyama Masaharu and vice-versa,and then they performed "KISS shite" and Masha performed the Galileo OP theme(which was pretty cool to watch).Would love to know what they were saying though,if anybody would be kind enough to share a translation or a summary would be sufficient.Oneigashimasu anybody? m(__)m

Talk 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGtgZOl7Qfo
Talk 2 + KISS shite performance + Talk 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b47nMJOpAGo
Talk 4 + Galileo OP theme performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_wud6T2EEo

It was kinda weird to see the both of them in such a relaxed atmosphere and casually laughing with each other,could see that they have a comfortable relationship between them.Oh and because they shot it at the Galileo set so that was kinda fun to see too. Especially watching "Yukawa-sensei" with his glasses rocking the guitar :lol

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Dec 14th, '07, 05:27

Disaster with her hair -_-;

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Dec 14th, '07, 08:49

8thSin wrote:Disaster with her hair -_-;
More than any other actress I've seen, this girl's looks can shift radically from one extreme to the other depending on her coifure. When properly styled she's very pretty, but on a bad hair day she's an absolute dog. I watched her in this airline series (forgot the title) where she and Kimutaku worked for ANA, and I thought at the time she was quite the looker. But then I saw her in Orange Days with those mute girl bangs - ugh!

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Dec 14th, '07, 16:50

The one with Kimutaku was Good Luck!!
I don't remember exactly how she looked in Orange Days, but I didn't think her hairstyle was that bad there...

I think she looks best in ponytail. She was in ponytail the whole time during GL!! too, if I'm not mistaken.
She had a perm in Yomigaeri too. I don't think she's ever succeeded with perm :sweat:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Dec 14th, '07, 17:50

never mind the hair :P Look at her horrendous clothes LOL

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » Dec 16th, '07, 22:32

I just dont think she looks good, all in all. I thought what they did to her for the KOH+ video was pretty scary, especially live at Kyousai 2007.
I think I just dont like her face, but thats just me.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Dec 18th, '07, 22:49

Wow, Galileo ends at episode 10? I thought it would be 11 or 12. Ah well, there's still the movie to wait for. :O

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Dec 18th, '07, 23:15

Yeah, I can't get enough Galileo. And I'm glad we've got the movie to look forward to after the series. At least I still have two subs to go before the long wait starts. LOL

They did another Goroleo in the latest SMAPXSMAP. *chucke*

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Dec 18th, '07, 23:19

ryoko11 wrote:They did another Goroleo in the latest SMAPXSMAP. *chucke*
Oh! :cheers: Is there a streaming link yet? The depiction of Kaoru is priceless!

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Dec 18th, '07, 23:35

I haven't seen it streaming yet, but I'll be on the lookout for it. There'll probably be one posted soon. If not I'll see if I can crop my file for Veoh. I wish I could catch more of the dialogue, but they still have me laughing out loud from just the bits I get.

dokodemodoa

Post by dokodemodoa » Dec 19th, '07, 14:01

when did they make this??
do they have the script for galileo before it was aired?

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Dec 19th, '07, 15:57

dokodemodoa wrote:

That was really funny ^^; ahah I only understood part of it though :S

About the case they used. It's from episode 1 so they didn't have a script of galileo before it aired I think.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Dec 20th, '07, 08:59

dokodemodoa wrote:

I think that's the old one. :O

dokodemodoa

Post by dokodemodoa » Dec 20th, '07, 10:44

notice the word : pink
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Dec 20th, '07, 17:13

Sakuya wrote:
dokodemodoa wrote:

I think that's the old one. :O
:O how many parodies were there? There's another one besides parody on case 1 and the shingo murder case?

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Dec 20th, '07, 20:31

ryoko11 wrote:They did another Goroleo in the latest SMAPXSMAP. *chucke*
What's the parody on Shingo murder case? :scratch: But yeah, I was referring to the new one mentioned by ryoko11 quoted above.

Edit:
Woops, the one dokodemodoa posted is the second one. :P Thanks!

deeplove

Post by deeplove » Dec 21st, '07, 19:30

ahh.. the last case is a 2-eps case.. nooo.. no i have to wait a week :pale:

oh well.. this is still a series that is being subbed very fast,regularly and done very well.

Shymsal

Post by Shymsal » Dec 27th, '07, 08:41

I have a theory about the annoying scrawling of equations -- which I agree can't possibly be helpful in any real sense. I think he uses it as a sort of focusing device; they may or may not be related to his theories regarding the case, but he just uses the action of writing them out to center himself while he thinks. Just an idea...

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Dec 27th, '07, 08:51

Shymsal wrote:I have a theory about the annoying scrawling of equations -- which I agree can't possibly be helpful in any real sense. I think he uses it as a sort of focusing device; they may or may not be related to his theories regarding the case, but he just uses the action of writing them out to center himself while he thinks. Just an idea...

The reasoning is fairly logical I would say.
Symbolizing the use of probability and chaos theory in defining most likely scenario for seveal random events to occur while considering facts and hypothesis in deducing the most probable suspect.

or as they say in the armed forces, and other smilar places using this on a daily basis;

"game-theory"

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Dec 27th, '07, 21:22

Shymsal wrote:I have a theory about the annoying scrawling of equations -- which I agree can't possibly be helpful in any real sense. I think he uses it as a sort of focusing device; they may or may not be related to his theories regarding the case, but he just uses the action of writing them out to center himself while he thinks. Just an idea...
The trouble with the phony equations isn't an issue of plot-related substance, but one of style, or lack thereof, in the presentation. Fukuyama is an idiosyncratic character, we all know that by now. If he needs to do something strange in order to function, like say, scribbling irrelevant pseudo-computations, we can easily buy that. The problem is, do we have to watch him do this in the same overwrought sequence each freakin episode?

For me, the fiasco with the pretend-arithmetic is the director's fault, not the writers. The director has chosen to use gimmicky cutscenes of Fukuyama dashing out bogus quadratics as a visual marker for the "eureka" moment of each episode. In almost every mystery story, the "eureka" moment is that point where the protagonist declares he/she has the answer. Simultaneously, it is a signal from the storyteller to the audience that he/she has laid out all the clues necessary to solve the riddle, and is inviting you to figure things out on your own just before the sleuth blows the case wide open. The "eureka" moment is a servicable convention because it allows the audience to easily judge if the mystery was logical and fair. But in this case the visual signal for the eureka moment - Fukuyama melodramatically pretending to compute - is either puerile or retarded, take your pick. Over-production worsens the problem, what with all the vortex effects, overlaid graphics and triumphant bg music drawing even more undue attention to random alphanumeric scribblings that everybody knows don't mean squat. It's especially incongrous here because on one hand, the writers went through all the trouble to craft a well-researched scientific mystery to stimulate the viewer's intelligence and imagination. Then on the other hand, the director insults the very same intelligence the writers worked so hard to cultivate by adopting a visual conceit that is just plain stupid yet not at all embarrassed or shy about itself. For all that trouble, a simple "yappari" or something (maybe coupled with that finger over the glasses thing Fukuyama does) would probably have been more effective.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Dec 31st, '07, 06:27

Finally watched the finale, thanks SARS for subbing! It was a very nice ending. But it's too bad they didn't patch up the relationship between Yukawa and Kaoru. :-( Let's hope they do in the movie. Man, I will miss this show now!

Gummi Bear

Post by Gummi Bear » Dec 31st, '07, 07:38

Do you think there will be a season 2?

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Dec 31st, '07, 07:45

Gummi Bear wrote:Do you think there will be a season 2?
I'd love for a season 2! :cheers: But do they even have enough novels to adapt from after the movie?

ninjabunny

Post by ninjabunny » Jan 1st, '08, 07:42

joeboygo wrote:
The trouble with the phony equations isn't an issue of plot-related substance, but one of style, or lack thereof, in the presentation.
I stopped paying attention to his scribbling a long time ago. (They aren't showing the whole calculation anyways, why should I follow it.) I do remember in the episode where the boy saw the red car from across the river, he did indeed write something that look like Snell's law to me. And in the episode where they were trying to solve the lady that hung herself, I sort of remember him starting to write Bernoulli's law on the clear glass inside the company lounge. I think the equations are meant to be relevant to the physics behind the cases. To the general public, the calculations meant squat and could probably be omitted after the first few episodes.
joeboygo wrote:Over-production worsens the problem, what with all the vortex effects, overlaid graphics and triumphant bg music drawing even more undue attention to random alphanumeric scribblings that everybody knows don't mean squat.
I thought those were his neurons firing. Is that what you are talking about, the vortex? The neuron soma (cell body) is globular and it has extensions that connects to other neurons. I suppose it is their feeble attempt to show Yukawa's brain is working.

I am not bother by the "eureka" moments because it is quiet short. So overall, it didn't really take away from my enjoyment of the show. If it were longer though, that would be different story.

Chok

Post by Chok » Jan 7th, '08, 18:33

anyone knows the name of the song that plays on the last episode, it plays on minute 52

i've already downloaded the Ost but i could find the song...

i really like this drama

thx SARS

counsel05

Post by counsel05 » Jan 8th, '08, 07:00

where can i download the eng subs for this drama? i tried with this site but its only for episode 1. where is the rest of it? is there any other sites where we can download it. thanks a lot.

p.s.
what i want is the subtitles and not the video of it. thanks again in advance.

Karawhite

Post by Karawhite » Jan 8th, '08, 07:26

@ counsel 05: i don't think there are any softsubs. the only subtitles available are the ones that sars did and those are hardsub so you have to download the video as the subs are attached to them

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Jan 8th, '08, 13:21

is there anywhere to direct download this?

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Jan 8th, '08, 19:01

Yorokobi wrote:is there anywhere to direct download this?
Well, you have to look at idols-unlimited, as usually.

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Jan 8th, '08, 23:37

Hitokiri_Johndoesai wrote:
Well, you have to look at idols-unlimited, as usually.
i dont know it
do you have a link?

dont worry i found it ^_^

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Jan 10th, '08, 12:53

it turns out that site doesnt have it
anyone else know where i can get it?

Allthatnmore

Post by Allthatnmore » Jan 16th, '08, 06:08

Yorokobi wrote:it turns out that site doesnt have it
anyone else know where i can get it?
Have you tried Veoh.com? I watched all 10 english subtitle episodes from there :lol

@All, the scribble scrabble didn't affected me as much as it did to some viewers. The reason probably is because I hate both physics and Chemistry equally!!! Galileo is very interesting and I am glad there's english subtitle for it!!!

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Jan 16th, '08, 07:01

i figured it would be on veoh but im looking to download it
(and cant do it through that veoh TV thing)

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Jan 17th, '08, 18:38

SARS offers downloads via IRC, it's not hard to figure out how to use it, just google.
http://www.sars-fansubs.com/index.php?cont=ircbots

cute_angel

Post by cute_angel » Jan 26th, '08, 06:00

I had fun watching this series. Fukada Kyoko, Horikita Maki and Hirosue Ryoko were the guests here....

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Jan 26th, '08, 11:42

8thSin wrote:
SARS offers downloads via IRC, it's not hard to figure out how to use it, just google.
http://www.sars-fansubs.com/index.php?cont=ircbots
i don't have IRC and i cant download it onto this conputer
is there nowhere else to direct downlaod it?

Orbity

Post by Orbity » Apr 29th, '08, 09:37

Another great production that could easily enjoy a 2nd season. I really do hope the producers consider writing a second series and make it reality.

irishcutieee

Post by irishcutieee » May 9th, '08, 04:13

hello ~
there is a background music in the drama
that was played alot in the drama, like almost on every
episode, but its not in the OST
does anyone know that music ?

i recorded few seconds of it from an episode of the drama
does anyone know where i can get this song/music ?

link to the few secs i recorded: http://www.sendspace.com/file/hbzarn

Thanks in Advance !!!!

minamichan03

loved it!

Post by minamichan03 » May 25th, '08, 14:01

hehe.. this is another jdrama that i loved!!
every episode was a worth-watching story... love it soo muchh!
and as well as the cast...

but i hoped that their lovestory was well developed in the latter part of the story...
but still,i really liked the whole drama itself!! :thumright:

talongero

Post by talongero » May 25th, '08, 16:14

hehe Galileo loved this drama but its quite short... made a dmv for this drama few months ago care to check it heres the link:

http://www.imeem.com/talongero/video/cn ... sic_video/

-shichi-

Post by -shichi- » May 26th, '08, 04:54

I enjoyed this series a lot.. the deductions and mysteries were cool.. I'm hoping for a continuation [heard somewhere that there's going to be a movie of this?]

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » May 26th, '08, 13:57

Hope there's a 2nd season if not at least a special or two seeing how popular the series was because it had high ratings I'll probably happen. Also looking forward to the movie.

Edit: Forgot to mentioned that this series for some reason reminded me of Trick series but in a much more series tone. The characters are contrast of each other but yet fit well together and also how they try to solve mystery/supernatural stuff like in Trick series. Hopefully there are more seasons so that they can built on the romance like it did in Trick love how they got together in the very end woot! :cheers:

JikokunoShuusennin

Post by JikokunoShuusennin » May 26th, '08, 14:07

There HAS to be more to this Drama. I liked it alot... but i have to admit the plot got a bit stale for episodes 7-8....
----

There's a whole relationship that has to be fleshed out... And I think you all know what i'm talking about. lol

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Aug 22nd, '08, 05:35

A SPECIAL EPISODE!! Can't wait!!

"Galileo" gets SP on same day as film's release
Fri, August 22, 2008 (12:59am EDT)
Fans of the drama series "Galileo" have one more thing to look forward to. Anticipation is already high for the "Yougisha x no Kenshin" movie, opening in theaters on October 4. Now, Fuji TV is turning it into a double dose: a one-shot special titled "Galileo: Episode Zero" will be aired on the same day as the film's release.

The special is set 3 years prior to the drama series, with the story being related to a murder case that was partly referenced in the original show. Detective Kusanagi (Kazuki Kitamura) is looking to solve a murder mystery, and he gets back in touch with his former badminton teammate, the brilliant professor Manabu Yukawa (Masaharu Fukuyama).

The special will also portray an incident from Yukawa's college days. Popular teen actor Haruma Miura plays the young Yukawa.

Other cast members include Masami Nagasawa as a student lab assistant and Karina as a mysterious woman tied to the murder case. Fuji TV will broadcast the drama at 9:00pm on October 4.

Source: http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-3680

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Aug 22nd, '08, 07:03

So I guess that means no Shibasaki Kou... :x Anyway, I will welcome a Galileo SP even though the Utsumi/Yukawa dynamic won't be there. And I realize that this episode will be used to promote the movie as well based on Masami, Karina and Haruma casting.

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Aug 23rd, '08, 04:01

I'm also disappointed there will be no Utsumi x Yukawa quarrel in the prequel SP but at least there is a SP to keep us refreshed and comfy before the movie's DVD release date. It's going to be a long wait for that one. :cry: Will SARS fansub both the SP and movie when raws become available? Either way, I am super excited!

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Aug 23rd, '08, 05:50

They better give us some "outcome" between Utsumi x Yukawa in the movie! I was a bit annoyed with the ending of Galileo. I was like "that's it???" Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the drama. Can't wait for the movie but yes, a very LONG wait....*sigh*
:-(