[Discussion] Bara no nai Hanaya: Katori Shingo/Takeuchi Yuko

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
hikkichan

[Discussion] Bara no nai Hanaya: Katori Shingo/Takeuchi Yuko

Post by hikkichan » Jan 14th, '08, 13:28

I couldn't find a topic for this... Of course, I didn't search past the first 4 pages here.

Anyhow, this is a nice drama... of course, it's by the same guy that wrote "Hitotsu Yane no Shita", so that's to be expected.

I like how things are going so far... so many different avenues to explore and I'm excited to see what happens next.

The only thing I didn't like with the first episode was
They revealed that Mio isn't blind... I'm betting that the hospital chief is Eiji's dead wife's father...
Ahhh... so many possibilities.

It's about time we've had a drama like this... it really is a throwback to the best times in drama.

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Jan 14th, '08, 13:41

yeah I agree the first episode was really interesting. slow paced, but I didn't mind it at all!
I really hope they're not gonna just drag it, hoping that if we learned that she isnt blind so early, they will develop the story well and won't let the secret drag out
hikkichan...same as jpopsuki hikkichan?

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jan 14th, '08, 13:59

Yep, that's me.

You know, this is the first Takeuchi Yuko drama I've watched... she really gives off a Tokiwa Takako vibe (my favorite).

AiaNP

Post by AiaNP » Jan 14th, '08, 14:11

Ah, for a nice Yuko Takuchi drama, "Pride" is a well-done one. It's one of my favorite dramas of hers. (In that one the male lead is a different SMAP member--Kimura).
It's written by the same screenwriter as "Bara no nai Hanaya" and "Hitotsu yane no Shita" I think.

I'm really excited about this drama. I've always liked Yuko Takeuchi. <3 I just hope it progresses well.

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Jan 14th, '08, 14:12

yeah same here....Ive never seen her before. I like her so far too.
PS- I thought the same about that old guy (what you wrote in the spoiler)

and thanks for the jpopsuki uploads....

Karawhite

Post by Karawhite » Jan 14th, '08, 14:47

I haven't had a chance to watch this but i am so looking forward to it. I love Takeuchi Yuko, she's so cute and adorable and she has the type of smile that really lights up the room. I would have watched it for her alone but throw in Shingo and Shota as well and i am completely sold. I can't wait to watch it.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 14th, '08, 22:39

EXCELLENT first episode! The music, themesong and the ending titleback blows me away!
Haha... yeap, it's soooo easy to guess about that hospital director! I wonder if that's really the case?? It'll be just too easy xD
I really can't imagine why on earth Mio has to go THAT far to get close to Eiji? It doesn't make any sense, unless there's a particular reason for it. If its simply only to get close to Eiji and to destroy his life, she can do it without having to pretend to be blind. Imagine how hurt and angry Eiji would be, when he finds out about this O_o
Then, there's the ending sequence... it looks symbolic and probably indicates the way the story goes x) That Eiji and Mio can never be together :cry:

I love the last scene so much! The turning point of their feelings, and even Mio couldn't help but to look up to Eiji for a second.

Somehow I suspect Naoya to be one of the hospital director's man too. In the scene in the host club, it seems Naoya intentionally tried to get Eiji's attention. If that's the case, it's gonna be quite scary, huh? x) Eiji will only have Shizuku in the end T_T
The writer and producers promised that there will be extreme and surprising developments in every episode. If you think ep.1 shocked you, they said ep.2 would be even more shocking... and it gets more shocking in each episode.

The story's main element: RIDDLES. The story's attraction: the surprising developments in each episode.
Last edited by yanie on Jan 14th, '08, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Jan 14th, '08, 23:09

i definitely agree..episode 1 was so good!!! i never imagined that Yuko and Shingo will have that great chemistry!! :wub:
i cant think of anything negative about this drama so far..the story and the characters were very interesting, the direction, music were also wondeful. i just love the theme song..now i know why Shingo loved this song more than Dangan Fighter! :lol
the twist..
im surprised at the revelation about Mio, i agree that she and Eiji may never be together. btw..why is the little girl wearing a mask?
i loved the theme song so much, ive uploaded the ED to youtube:

kawaiimomo

Post by kawaiimomo » Jan 14th, '08, 23:25

i SO want to watch this! it seems like this is gonna being back Getsu dramas! anyways, do any of u guys think this will become a classic life other getsu's like Long Vacation?
wait so she isn't blind!! wut the!?? why is she pretending? why does she want to ruin his life? someone explain!!!?? does she know him before?

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 14th, '08, 23:35

marienella_m wrote:i never imagined that Yuko and Shingo will have that great chemistry!! :wub:
Ahhh~~ deshou, deshou!? I really love their chemistry too. You have to see their chemistry during interviews too! I'm quite surprised when Shingo was asked about Yuko, he said, "KI-REI! She's so beautiful... and very yasashii(kind)...". He looked and sounded like someone in love, lol! Usually he'll say "she's a great actress blablabla" abt his co-stars xD
Then also during the Mezamashi interview, Shingo said during one filming, he was so worried that Yuko didn't want to use the kneel pads and Shingo thought it was dangerous so he asked the staff to give the kneel pads to Yuko, but Yuko refused and said she don't need it. Shingo said, he was really worried, and Yuko apologized, "I'm sorry I made you worried,".
Not to mention the way they look at each other alot during the interview. I never seen Shingo has this much chemistry with his other co-stars before! Another legenday onscreen couple might be born already! :P
If I remember correctly, the old lady told Eiji the reason already. That Shizuku made her own conclusion the reason why her father always looks sad and lonely, is because she resembles her mother. So if Eiji look at Shizuku's face it must've remind him of her mother, and makes Eiji feels sad. So Shizuku decided to hide her face, so Eiji won't be sad anymore. But at the park, during sunset, Eiji explained how much Shizuku means to him, and there's no way he'd feel sad just because he look at her face.

to kawaiimomo, as far as ep.1 goes, its because the hospital's director told her to. That old man seem to hate Eiji to the core, that he told Mio to pretend to be blind, get close to him, make him falls in love with her, and then destroy his life. However Mio started to feel bad about this coz Eiji doesn't seem like a bad guy as that old man says. But from the conversation between Mio and the director in the hospital, it seem like Mio doesn't have a choice. She's bind with something...that forced her to do everything the director said... maybe she owe him something, or he knows her secret, or he paid her debts?? There's gotta be sumthin x)
Thank you so much, so much for that ENDING CLIP, marienella!! I love it to death!!! xD
Last edited by yanie on Jan 14th, '08, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Jan 14th, '08, 23:43

thanks so much for that explanation yanie!! i just cant help but cry at that father-daughter scene in the park..it was so moving..that little girl was so good. :thumleft:

so our Shingo-baby has been captivated by Yuko as well. :lol cant blame him, i myself is in love with Yuko, she's just so full of charm. :wub:

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Jan 15th, '08, 00:08

if the theme is riddles....
Im hoping the hospital director's identity is more interesting and complex than just Eiji's late wife's father....otherwise its way too predictable

but yeah on smap smap, Matsuda shota did say that in the next episode we're gonna discover something about his character....so it seems like there's lots to look forward to!

chokubi

Post by chokubi » Jan 15th, '08, 04:50

yanie wrote:I really love their chemistry too. You have to see their chemistry during interviews too! I'm quite surprised when Shingo was asked about Yuko, he said, "KI-REI! She's so beautiful... and very yasashii(kind)...". He looked and sounded like someone in love, lol! Usually he'll say "she's a great actress blablabla" abt his co-stars xD
Then also during the Mezamashi interview, Shingo said during one filming, he was so worried that Yuko didn't want to use the kneel pads and Shingo thought it was dangerous so he asked the staff to give the kneel pads to Yuko, but Yuko refused and said she don't need it. Shingo said, he was really worried, and Yuko apologized, "I'm sorry I made you worried,".
Not to mention the way they look at each other alot during the interview. I never seen Shingo has this much chemistry with his other co-stars before! Another legenday onscreen couple might be born already! :P
This is probably not the 1st time that Takeuchi Yuko had her co-star smitten by her charm.
I remember back in the day when they were airing Pride, there was a rumor saying that Kimura Takuya botched his kissing scene (the one in his apartment in ep6?) with her so many times, it looked like he did it on purpose.

scaturan

Post by scaturan » Jan 15th, '08, 05:09

819 peers according to uTorrent. how about that on top of TV ratings? :)

yep, just finished watching the 1st episode. interesting plot, indeed. I usually pick out the weakest character/scene then decide to ditch the entire series - but couldn't find one - i tried very hard.

my first time watching Takeuchi and Shingo.

Motokariya Yuika (本仮屋ユイカ) scenes were short, but i hope they show more in the coming episodes. :wub: :wub: :wub:

first impressions brings back good memories of Over Time and Beautiful Life (haven't seen Pride yet) my classic favorites back in the late 90s and early 2000s.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 15th, '08, 06:34

I just watched a new commercial of Ep2! Omg, Eiji carries Mio with his both arms, Mio wrap her arms around Eiji's neck and Mio was giggling!!! Wow, they're so close already even from Ep2??? I can't wait!! I love to see these two together!!^v^

Okay, I just read an article in TV Japan, and there are some messages from the writer and casts, that may become a hint...
Nojima Shinji (writer):
The whole idea of the story is like a chess game. And I plan to give a checkmate in the last episode.

Matsuda Shota (Kudo Naoya):
You might see the "standard" Naoya in Ep1. But starting from Ep2, Naoya's character will slowly change bit by bit. Whether it's his real character, or its just a condition. You'll find out later on. Naoya is a man with many secrets.

Miura Tomokazu (Anzai Teruo, the hospital's director):
The audience might imagine a bit of what kind of relationship this man has with Eiji's late wife. However, that image might change after Ep2. And even when his relationship with them becomes clear, his reason to chase after Eiji won't be clear yet.
Eiji might look like a very kind and good person. But this man holds Eiji's past. Sometimes there are people in this world that looks like Jekyll & Hyde.

Omg.... is he saying Eiji is like Jekyll & Hyde??!? :blink Unbelievable. I thought Eiji would be the victim and the person who doesn't know anything in the story. But I may be wrong, the victim and the person who doesn't know anything at all might be Mio, instead. She doesn't even know what's the director's reason to chase after Eiji.
If Eiji really has this "Jekyll & Hyde" side, then the chess game symbolized by the writer, makes sense....

When Mio asked Eiji why he doesn't sell roses in his flower shop, then she was guessing it might be related to his wife. Eiji said, "Too bad... the real reason is not that romantic...". It might be true, afterall. Somehow I have a feeling that Eiji's lonely face is not necessary caused by the loss of his wife.
What an unpredictable developments it might be!

oh, CONGRATS to the drama casts and staffs!! Ep. 1 = 22.4% :thumleft: Shingo's 18 hours live promotion yesterday pays off! :lol

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jan 15th, '08, 07:13

I love how they set this show up in the beginning. Reminds me of lot of setups from other dramas, like single parent, meeting in the rain(From the Heart/Mada Koi wa Hajimaranai, girl with a disability(From the Heart), meeting at a flower shops(Mada Koi wa Hajimaranai/Grumpy Gene), probably couple more, if I actually come with more as I watch the whole thing again. But of course, they set this up, so they can knock all down.

d.j smile

Post by d.j smile » Jan 15th, '08, 11:07

Ah~ I wanna watch this!
Coz of Matsuda Shota and Yuko
But I hav 2 wait 4 english subs 2 some out, coz I don't understand Jap T_T
Coming from the comments, this sounds like a good/decent drama I will quite possibly become addicted 2. ^_^

Karawhite

Post by Karawhite » Jan 15th, '08, 12:09

I'm not really surprised at the incredible rating. I mean, it is a SMAP member plus Takeuchi Yuko. For either alone, the ratings would have been over 15. I am really excited about watching this but i'm still downloading. Damn.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 15th, '08, 16:22

Here's the lyrics and translations of the themesong done by me^^ Temporarily, until the official lyrics out. I think this song can really be a classic hit, so many people loving it, including Shingo^^ He kept humming this song!

ZUTTO ISSHO SA
by Yamashita Tatsuro

Dakishimete...
Hold me...

Shijima no naka de...
In the middle of this silence...

Anata no koe wo kikasete...
Let me hear your voice...

Kobiri-tsuku...
Sticking to each other...

Namida oto ga shite...
I heard your crying sound

Fuyu wa mou sugu owaru yo
Winter will be over soon, you know...

Ikutsu mono kanashimi yo
No matter how many sorrows you had...

Kuguri-nuketa sono ato de
After you passed through all that...

Tsunaida te no atatakasa ga...
The warm hand you're holding...

Subete wo shiteiru
Knows everything

Anata to, futari de
With you, just the two of us

Ikite yukitai
I want us to live side by side

Sore dake de nani mo iranai
That's all, and I don't need anything else

Hiru mo, yoru mo
Night and day

Yume no naka made
Even to our dreams

Zutto... zutto.... issho sa...
Always... always... be together...

Anata to, futari de
With you, just the two of us

Ikite yukitara
If we can live side by side

Nando demo umare kawareru
We can be reborn over and over

Toki no umi ni mirai wo ukabe
Let's form the future in this ocean of time

Zutto... zutto... issho sa...
Always... always... be together...

Good night....

fleng

Post by fleng » Jan 16th, '08, 05:29

Imma wait for Lovesong's release.

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Jan 16th, '08, 05:51

I'm really excited for this drama. Thanks yanie for the translation! Even though I haven't really listened to the song yet, the song sounds sweet. :) I am ecstatic that the first episode got a 22.4% rating (even though it was really no surprise). Hopefully it keeps up. I'm happy that LS is doing this project. :D

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 16th, '08, 08:18

Katori "Rose" Blooms, Pilot's Rating 22.4%
translated by Yanie

The first episode of FujiTV drama, Bara no nai Hanaya (Mondays, 9 PM) starring SMAP's Katori Shingo, got the rating of 22.4%, the highest rating so far in January. This is also the highest rating in 1.5 year for original script (which is not an adaptation of novel nor manga). Furthermore, in the occasion of the drama promotion, the original "Bara no nai Hanaya" eco bag sold at Samanta Thavasa was all sold out on the first day, a total of 5000 bags. It seems like a sign that there will be a "Rose Boom" trend from now on.

In this drama stagnation period, Katori's getsuku finally made it. In January 2006, Katori's Saiyuuki started with a rating of 29.2%. Since then, in this 1.5 year, dramas that started with a rating over 20% were only about 2 dramas, including Galileo. Katori gave a comment, "The drama's story couldn't be revealed much before the broadcast of the first episode, so I think all the audience understand now, the reason we couldn't talk much about it. But there are still many more things from this drama that we cannot reveal. So please, watch the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and to the very last episode!".

The scene where Katori's role, Eiji saved and embraced Takeuchi Yuko's role, Mio, from the traffic in the middle of the rain at the intersection, hit the highest rating point of 26.2%. With Nojima Shinji's unpredictable developments writing style, it is predicted the rating will increase for the next episodes.

source: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20080 ... 18-dal-ent

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » Jan 16th, '08, 08:28

Would be great if the rating stays that way or gets even better, because for me that would be proof that even a calm, thought-inducing kind of dorama can hit it big without being based on a popular manga whose fans would back it up.

I know that Shingo might of course be the reason for some to watch this, but still.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 18th, '08, 07:15

Haha... this is one weird gossip tabloid article :lol

FRIDAY 1.Feb.2008 issue (the gossip tabloid^^)
A Night where Katori Shingo was seen carrying Takeuchi Yuko in His Arms

translated by Yanie

On the first working day after New Year's one-week break, the place where salaryman and office ladies back to work, is West Shinjuku's Office area. Under the cold sky, these two people were seen together in this area. The tall man was talking on the phone while he was climbing up the stairs. Behind him, a bit below, is a beautiful lady who was also talking on the phone, and turns out it's Takeuchi Yuko (27)! With the cellphone still on her ear, she face the tall man and said, "Mi~~tsuketa!(I found you!)". And apparently, the tall man is Katori Shingo (30). It was around 9 PM. Isn't Takeuchi Yuko's divorce case still in process? That means she is still legally someone's wife. So, they are in the middle of a secret date?

Suddenly, in a fast move, Katori turn her waist around with his right hand, lift her up with his left hand, and carry her in his arms in a blink of a second. "Kya~ what are you doing??!" Takeuchi is happily surprised and was giggling facing his face. After they looked at each other for a moment, Katori started to walk down the stairs with a smile on his face. Takeuchi was looking both shy and nervous. (picture below)

In the next moment, suddenly Takeuchi looked unhappy and he put her back on the ground. She walk off, leaving him. But Katori was aftering her. However, it doesn't seem that Takeuchi is seriously angry. In fact, not long after that, their distance was getting closer, instead. (picture below)

Then, Katori took off his own jacket and put it around her. "This is The Big Couple Of The Year!!!"..... though... we would really like to announce that, but to those who has good sense might realized already that this is just a scene at the drama filming location. One of the scene in the drama, "Bara no nai Hanaya", which started in January, airs on Mondays, 9 PM. A script by Nojima Shinji about a flower shop owner and a blind beauty who met when she was sheltering herself from the rain in front of the flower shop. The first episode's rating was predicted to receive about 18%, but it got a successful 22.4%!

This "Katori carrying Takeuchi" scene was taken over and over, from many angles and positions, but it seems the director was not satisfied yet, so it was re-done so many times. Eventually, this one scene's filming was done on 2 AM. This scene is going to be one of the best love-love scene. Let's look forward to how it goes in the drama.

tsurashi313

Post by tsurashi313 » Jan 18th, '08, 07:40

Yay! Congrats on their first episode rating!! :D And OMG! Thanks for translating and spreading the "gossip". :wub:

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Jan 18th, '08, 17:36

Just watched ep1, I thought it was an interesting episode, though they were trying a bit too hard to make it both dramatic and mysterious...
I really the style of this series, it was like a fusion of Aoi Tori and Sora Kara Furu... production. I wish Motokariya Yuika had more scenes, as she is an extremely talented actress.
I was actually really happy when Takeuchi Yuuko's character seemed blind in the beginning... Disability tend to be very kind to attractive but weak acting actresses, but unfortunately it turns out she wasn't :-(

What I loved most was that rose with red umbrella in the very end. That thing just blew me away, perfect for the theme, matched music (beats), and it really looked liked one. Incredible :thumright:

I thought the first episode was very strong, but I think this setting will be VERY difficult to avoid cheesiness, as well as maintaining same pace for future episodes. I will continue watching this series and hope to be proven wrong.
I really hated the theme song for this series... especially considering it's a Getsuku. Maybe it'll grow on me though :unsure:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 19th, '08, 02:21

I can't say I'm not disappointed either. I thought they could've come up with more interesting materials if Mio is really blind, since I haven't find many love stories that involved a blind person. Was there any J-drama like that?
When Mio told Shizuku that the last time she saw her own face on the mirror was at Shizuku's age, so although she's an adult now, in her mind, she is still an 8 yr old, I really felt sympathy for her! xD But it turned out to be a lie! damn xD
And when I know she's not blind and she just want to get close to Eiji, coz the hospital's director told her to... I felt that its kind of a soap opera material.

However, this is just the first episode, so I hope and quite sure this drama won't turn to a soap opera. I hope the hospital's director's reason for aftering Eiji makes sense, not cheesy and not common x)
Shingo said he was surprised several times while reading scripts up to Episode 4, that there are always shocking developments in each episode, and he looked very excited about it. So, I'll believe his judgement :P
And Nojima Shinji had really wrote "out of this world" stories, so I'll believe him too, this time x)

However, one thing puzzled me... the director promised the public that his combination with Nojima Shinji this time won't become a dark drama. But I thought, Mio's character is quite dark, the plot is quite gloomy and the hospital director's actor mentioned that Eiji might have a dark past. Then there's the ending titleback which is said to be a vision and symbol of what's gonna happen to Eiji and Mio from now on... it looks sullen as well. I don't think the director would be able to keep his promise xD Unless they make a happy ending in the end^^
Usooo... you hate the themesong?? Yamashita Tatsuro has produced great classic themesongs, and most Japanese love his songs, I think that's why they chose him for this drama's themesong^^ And so far, most people are loving it, including Shingo^^ I've been repeating this song myself! I'm addicted to it! And reminds me of Shiroi Kage's themesong, the guitar sound, sounded quite similar^^

Hope it'll grow on you later^^

Ahh... 2 more days to Ep.2!! I really can't wait, I really want to watch more of this, so nothing I can do other than repeating Ep1 over and over :lol I'm starting to get tired of it, so I really need a new episode soon! xD ah, however... somehow I never get tired of the last scene at the intersection and the ending titleback :P

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jan 19th, '08, 07:22

I'm surprised to see the Haterade being spit at Yamashita Tatsuro
I guess you could see some subtleties concerning her blindness... first off, her clothes... what blind person would wear heels like that? Especialy in Japan, blind people wear thin soled shoes so they they can feel the bumps in the crosswalk intersections.

Also, why would she be living on the second floor...

When Eiji gave her the hot chocolate, blind people almost always stick their finger into what they're drinking to have a sense of the water level...
Well, luckily, Monday is only a few days away.

junebug6272

Post by junebug6272 » Jan 19th, '08, 18:47

just watched the first episode and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. This is my first time seeing Shingo in a drama and frankly I didn't have high hopes for him but I think he plays his troubled, loner role well. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I actually started to tear up a bit...which has never happened to me in the first episode of a drama :cry: .
i don't think they are planning on going on with the Mio being blind illusion for much longer, in the preview it kind of looks like he finds out at the end of ep.2, I hope so because that kind of plot device can get old really quick
I'm definitely going continuing to watch this drama, cuz it seems like there many twists ahead and its a pleasant change of pace from the dramas that have been out recently.

nhyn

Post by nhyn » Jan 20th, '08, 20:01

Usually if the sub is not out yet I'm content with understanding only 50% of the drama, but for this I think I will wait ^_^ saw the first third of the ep 1 and wow, it's so elegantly done. I love, love, love the child actress playing Shizuku. Even her voice conveys so much emotions, and to play such a peculiar role requires skills!
This is gonna be great! :D

Makoto_

Post by Makoto_ » Jan 20th, '08, 20:37

would be great if someone make subs for this dorama!

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jan 21st, '08, 02:52

Just watched the first ep and the first thing I have to say off the bat is that any program that incorporates Puppet Muppet into the storyline is an automatic plus in my book. I love those damn things... :lol (makes me want to dig out those books I have of them)
Matsuda Shota sounded a lot like Puppet Muppet guy too... o_o

Another plus in my book is the use of the quiet, dark, and mysterious style with deliberate pacing, which hasn't been used in awhile... I thought last year's dramas tended to be overwhelming in the amount of overproduction (especially in the comedy series) with terrible pacing, so I'm glad to see that this season we have 2 dramas using a similar style to pretty good results so far. :)

As for the plot itself, my random, ungrounded theory:
They're really pushing the fact that Shiomi has a dark, unpleasant secret. What with the "evil hospital director" plot and the obvious way they repeated, "There's no way a florist could be a bad person," to which Shiomi would alway just mumble something indistinct.

What if Shiomi isn't Shizuku's real father? Nowhere is it written or said that she was actually his wife. The end credits list Motokariya Yuika as "girlfriend" and the other cast credits I've seen lists her as "Shizuku's mother". In the videotape at the beginning of the ep, Shizuku's mother is addressing the father, but there's no specific mention that it is actually Shiomi. There seems to be something that Kudo finds out from accidentally watching those tapes.

Could it be that Shiomi killed the real father somehow? That he's trying to make up for his sins by raising Shizuku and was possibly trying to take care of her mother as well?

I have a feeling that he was a part of a gang or underworld at some point. There's the connection with the greasy looking cafe owner for one. And for another, there was the rather symbolic cutting of the hair in the beginning montage. Something related to Shizuku's mother and/or father (?) probably made him reform. His sole focus is now Shizuku's well-being.

There're a dozen reasons how the hospital director could be involved, but it depends on the relationship he has with as yet unidentified characters.
Lots and lots of possibilities... we just need a few more clues... :fear:
So far, very intriguing...
I like the cast of quirky characters and the fact that this series seems too tightly written for their mannerisms to be accidental. Looking forward to finding out more about them (especially the old lady, "Do you blame me? Are you blaming me?":lol )

And yes, the girl that plays Shizuku is adorable....

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 21st, '08, 06:34

mizune wrote:As for the plot itself, my random, ungrounded theory:
They're really pushing the fact that Shiomi has a dark, unpleasant secret. What with the "evil hospital director" plot and the obvious way they repeated, "There's no way a florist could be a bad person," to which Shiomi would alway just mumble something indistinct.

What if Shiomi isn't Shizuku's real father? Nowhere is it written or said that she was actually his wife. The end credits list Motokariya Yuika as "girlfriend" and the other cast credits I've seen lists her as "Shizuku's mother". In the videotape at the beginning of the ep, Shizuku's mother is addressing the father, but there's no specific mention that it is actually Shiomi. There seems to be something that Kudo finds out from accidentally watching those tapes.

Could it be that Shiomi killed the real father somehow? That he's trying to make up for his sins by raising Shizuku and was possibly trying to take care of her mother as well?

I have a feeling that he was a part of a gang or underworld at some point. There's the connection with the greasy looking cafe owner for one. And for another, there was the rather symbolic cutting of the hair in the beginning montage. Something related to Shizuku's mother and/or father (?) probably made him reform. His sole focus is now Shizuku's well-being.

There're a dozen reasons how the hospital director could be involved, but it depends on the relationship he has with as yet unidentified characters.
Omg, mizune... you stated everything I had in mind before, but I only randomly guessed, yet you have good grounds on guessing where the plot goes!
I, too, had been thinking that Eiji might be a criminal in the past and he might not be Shizuku's father! First of all, the "he was a criminal" guess.... what you said is sooo true... I didn't realize that they emphasize "there are no bad persons in this world who wants to start a flower shop" more than once.

Then, I've also thought about why Motokariya's character had only been addressed as "kanojo". I've tried to think of the fact what if Eiji is not Shizuku's father? But if he's not her father, why did he bring the flower to the hospital? Why did he cried? Why did he has the videotapes?
When Naoya watched the tape, "Kanojo" also said that she knows Eiji is a lonely person, that's why she want to create a family together with him. Although we won't know whether or not she meant Eiji... but the directing and the overlapping Eiji scenes with the voiceover, indicates that it must be referring to Eiji. Or else, it just doesn't make sense... if you know what I mean? x)

Actually even before watching the first episode, I've guessed that Mio is not blind xD Shingo kept mentioning how there are surprising developments in the promotions. And in the press conference, each casts talks alot about the character they're playing, except for Takeuchi Yuko, she only said, "There's so much I cannot talk about right now, so pls just watch the first episode first,". Ha... I know there must be a secret about her character, so I was guessing she's not blind. But unexpectedly, I was really surprised when I found out my guess was right xD

In the other version of CM preview for Ep2, there's a scene of Shizuku drowning, and Mio was very shocked. I guess, when this kind of case happen, she has no choice but to save her, and maybe her secret will be revealed faster than we thought. However, I'd be very curious to know how will the story goes if this secret revealed so fast xD I thought, it'll be interesting if Mio gets really blind due to an accident somewhere along the story :P

What if.... Eiji knows already that Mio is not blind?? So this is like a brain-cracking, cunning match between Eiji and the hospital's director later? That'll match "the chess game" theme, that Nojima Shinji, the writer, had been mentioning about^^
But really... I still don't know which direction Nojima Shinji is taking this story too. The very first promotions and summaries of the drama, made the public thought that this drama is a heart-warming family and love drama, and about their daily life problems. However, when it was getting nearer to the day, they started to reveal the fact about so many hidden secrets and surprising developments.
But then Shingo said, this is not a suspense mystery, its different. I'm getting confused :lol

I've seen Nojima Shinji's weirdest story (Takenouchi Yutaka's Seikimatsu no Uta/The Last Song), and I wonder if it would be anything like that xD

Oh well... I guess we can only sit back, relax and enjoy the show^^

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Jan 21st, '08, 08:30

ooooh, I liked your theories, mizune.
I have actually not thought about it too much, coz I wanted to wait for the 2nd episode. but you made me think about it now....
I'm kind of hoping it will surprise us all with something totally unimaginable (I know, Im hoping for too much haha)
well, just a few hours till the 2nd episode airs....

murdocknakashima

Post by murdocknakashima » Jan 21st, '08, 12:34

I would fully expect this drama to go nuts towards the end. In addition to Hitotsu yane... he also wrote Kou Kou Kyoushi, Seija no Koushin, and Kono yo no Hate. Those two dramas were pretty messed up. Nojima is pretty versatile though ... wrote two dramas like that, but also wrote 101st Proposal... and Pride.

And there was at least one drama depicting a blind lead character that was a love story ... Aishiteru to Itte Kure. You could possibly count Hoshi no Kinka, but it was just as dark as it was a love story. Actually, I think it was more dark than a love story.

Kind of a side bar ... my gf always complains that in Jdramas all the characters have the same names ... which to a point is true, but I just found it funny that Takeuchi's character is named Mio because that was her characters name in the movie version of Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu. I also had a slight laugh when I saw Terajima Susumu (the coffee shops owner) and Shaku Yumiko (Shizuku's teacher) in the same scene because they were both from Himitsu no Hanazono.

I'm enjoying this drama very much though (how can you not love Takeuchi Yuko). Looking forward to see how everything pans out.

wapuro

Post by wapuro » Jan 21st, '08, 13:02

downloading now
hope it's good.......
i read many good review of ep1........

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jan 21st, '08, 14:40

looks like everyone has made some good calls, so far.

That's it, everyone is evil... even the old lady. :P

Another good episode tonight... and again, the possibilities grow.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 21st, '08, 14:48

Ep2 was GOOD!!! And some of our guesses were right :P
-Yup, Naoya is one of the hospital's director's man! But what I didn't expect is, he's actually a private detective! haha~ sugoi! he disguised as a host club before. So, he kinda cooperate with Mio, but Mio doesn't like him that much. But I like this man! Quirky^^

-Yup, Eiji must be a bad man in the past. "Kanojo" revealed it in the videotape, she said, "My impression when I first met you, you're a bad man. But that's okay, even if you're bad, you have your good side, or you'll become good. Wait, no, it doesn't matter even if you're just bad. Even though people surround you hate you, I like the fact that I'm the only one who stood up for you! I like being able to say, "I'll protect you"!! ".

Then Anzai(the hospital director) also said something to Mio, about people wanting to be something they're not. He was actually being cynical and refer to Mio, at first. When people with the type who cannot show their real feelings in normal days, they'll try to be another people one day and express those true feelings and enjoy being that different person. On the other hand, people with the type who doesn't care of others and only cares about himself, tend to pretend to be someone who helps other people, and will enjoy themselves when they're doing this. When Anzai talked about this, the scene was overlapping with Eiji helping his neighbour =P

Now I'm confirmed that Eiji is really Shizuku's father^^ I'll cast away those guesses that he's not :P And I was wrong, no one knows about Mio's blind act yet, in this episode.

Eiji and Mio's relationship gets closer though^^ Eiji's other side was kinda shown in the very last scene. Normally, Eiji doesn't seem to be a guy who does that. But there were hints already about his other "face". And in the last scene, his aggresive side was shown, it might be the REAL him. I love that scene, just wish it didn't end so fast^^
Mio(Takeuchi Yuko)'s child-like behaviour is more shown in this episode. And not childish, or just simply pouting her mouth... but she really act like a child. Very interesting~

I love Naoya(Matsuda Shota)! And love his interactions with the little girl, Shizuku! Cute, like siblings!
Last edited by yanie on Jan 21st, '08, 14:55, edited 2 times in total.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 21st, '08, 14:50

hikkichan wrote:That's it, everyone is evil... even the old lady. :P
Even Shizuku-chan? :P

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jan 21st, '08, 14:58

Yes, she's she's the leader of the chibiko bosozoku and is the reason no one like the transfer student ;)

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 21st, '08, 15:37

There one think in the drama i find is so touching..can you all guess? Hint: the father daughter scene by the bench

sun is so lonely,as it heat will scorch its love if get too near, thus the sun rather choose to be at a distance to protect its love, just like the warm it give to the world

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 21st, '08, 15:40

sorry.... i mean one scene that is so touching*

fleng

Post by fleng » Jan 21st, '08, 17:06

omg Shizuki (sp?) is too cute, when she was wearing that mask, she reminds me alot of Yotsuba :p.

anyway this drama is gonna be NOT predictable, anything might happen..judging from the comments from the series creators.

My no.1 dorama pick so far for this season, One pound gospel 2nd and 3rd Honey and Clover.

leadfreaky

Post by leadfreaky » Jan 21st, '08, 20:42

I have a question regarding to Mio:
She isn't really blind right? then why does why pretend to be blind? or do we still son't know that ....^^°°

White Star

Post by White Star » Jan 21st, '08, 21:11

I think I'm gonna really like this drama. I love the leads. Yuko's character are much different from her Lunch Queen days. Yet, her smile have the same genuiene and sincerity.

+WS+

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Jan 21st, '08, 21:34

leadfreaky wrote:I have a question regarding to Mio:
She isn't really blind right? then why does why pretend to be blind? or do we still son't know that ....^^°°
Because disabled girls NEVER fail. All the guys in drama just can't resist them XD

khmai_kandi22

Post by khmai_kandi22 » Jan 22nd, '08, 06:55

I just watched the 1st episode and I must say that, I'm absolutely going to love this series. :)
Can't wait to see the plot unfolds about that blind lady pretending to be blind. About that director or doctor, what's his motive? Is Shizuki's mother the daughter of that director? I'm also curious about Shiomi's past, what was he like before?
So much questions left to be answered. Also, I really liked mizune's theories. Very observant, eh? :lol

Btw, does anyone know how many episodes this series is going to have? Just thought I ask since it wasn't on the wiki. :unsure:

Love Angel

Post by Love Angel » Jan 22nd, '08, 11:37

I watched the 1st episode and it was sooo good :thumright: I think it will be my fav this season
I was shocked that mio is not blind O_o and I really liked the last scene under the rain
I thought the music was awesome..can't wait for the OST to be released...

looking forward for the next ep~

hadmish

Post by hadmish » Jan 22nd, '08, 12:39

khmai_kandi22 wrote:
Btw, does anyone know how many episodes this series is going to have? Just thought I ask since it wasn't on the wiki. :unsure:
according to the TV Guide there will be 11 episodes. Im not sure if its accurate, but usually TV guide is pretty reliable.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jan 22nd, '08, 14:30

For ep 2
yanie wrote:
Now I'm confirmed that Eiji is really Shizuku's father^^ I'll cast away those guesses that he's not :P And I was wrong, no one knows about Mio's blind act yet, in this episode.
!
I'm actually becoming more convinced that Eiji is not Shizuku's real father. When Eiji intercepted Hishida and asked her to move in with him and Shizuku, he said that he wanted her to become a family. He also said that people who live under the same roof can become a family even if they aren't related by blood. It all seems to fall into this romantic idea that Shizuku's mother also mentioned about wanting to create a happy family. Eiji really seems to be into making Shizuku's mother's dreams and ideas become reality.

Got more theories, but gotta go to work, so.... ^_^;;;

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 22nd, '08, 14:41

source: Bara no nai Hanaya official website

She is sooo beautiful.... I swear she can be Snow White-japanese version, if there's ever one, lol!

Wooh, mizune... another good theory. It'll be interesting if your theory is true :roll
Last edited by yanie on Jan 24th, '08, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

kero_kerberus

Post by kero_kerberus » Jan 22nd, '08, 17:13

there twist in every corner..... it drama is so intriguing!!

what do you all think?

my theory
1. Parent divorce at young age (mum leave with another man)… trauma childhood.
2. Dad is not a good father and do not have a proper job (because her dad is now in class ‘A’ ward due to the doctor)
3. Thus, have that personality when at work or home (it sort of a self protect system). Very frail and if once she open her heart and get betray will properly never recover(i think)
4. I believe she is the most kind hearted other than Shizuku (only those kind of people can have that kind of smile)
5. She accepts the offer by the doctor because she wants to save her dad (only kin she have, although she acted as she dun want to), even thought she hates him.
6. a very lonely person, thus, make one can help but fall in love with her and protect

Hachiko-chan

Post by Hachiko-chan » Jan 22nd, '08, 18:05

I love this drama.
Yuko Takeuchi is one of my favorite actresses.
About the speculation;
I think that Eiji is the father, why else would they give the baby to him
The doctor is most likely blackmailing Mio so that she has to what he says.
I think the doctor wants to destroy Eiji's life and take Shizuku
He most likely blames Eiji for the death of his daughter, she maybe left her family for Eiji.

khmai_kandi22

Post by khmai_kandi22 » Jan 22nd, '08, 20:25

hadmish wrote:
khmai_kandi22 wrote:
according to the TV Guide there will be 11 episodes. Im not sure if its accurate, but usually TV guide is pretty reliable.
Great, thanks for the info. Can't wait to watch episode 2 :lol

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 22nd, '08, 22:27

One thing concerns me in Episode 2... the dialogue between Eiji and Shizuku's teacher...
Eiji met Shizuku's classmate, that transfer student, but that boy run away from him. The way Eiji looks at the boy and the atmopshere built up for this scene.... I'm sooooooo sure it reminded him of his own childhood.
Then he said to Ono-sensei, "Please, look out for that boy,". Ono-sensei said, "You don't have to remind me that, as a teacher I always lookout for my students, and he's a transfer student afterall...". Eiji said, "No, that's not what I mean....". Then he didn't finish and talked about other topic...

When someone says, "look out for him", there are only 2 meanings, right? Either its "please take care of him" or "becareful with him, he's dangerous". So is he trying to say that the kid is dangerous? That he might harm the teacher or other kids?? And most probably, just like how he was during childhood?O_o

From Ep3 preview, it seems we'll see Eiji's "dark" face very soon^^

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Jan 23rd, '08, 00:48

I watched ep 1 of this yesterday...it is indeed very good.

I loved the great cinematography and music.

Tears welled up in doinkies' eyes when
-Eiji was telling Shizuku the story of the north wind and the sun and compared her mother to the sun and Shizuku took off the bag on her head
-the climactic scene of ep 1, the infamous "Eiji x Mio in the middle of a road crossing in the rain" scene
mizune's theory about Eiji is also very intriguing...
...though if Eiji wasn't Shizuku's real dad then why did he run into the hospital with that rose in his hand so frantically at the beginning? I'm thinking that maybe Shizuku's mom was already married to somebody and cheated on him with Eiji or something...but I haven't seen ep 2 yet so I don't know if any hints were given in that direction.
I can't wait to see ep 2~!

terence_hideyoshi

Post by terence_hideyoshi » Jan 23rd, '08, 07:34

Look like this show is going to be the next hit. haha.. Well, looking forward to some kind souls to sub this drama. In advance. Thank you very much!

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Jan 23rd, '08, 07:52

Love Song is hardsubbing BnNH - they released ep 1 a couple days ago. No softsubs though.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jan 23rd, '08, 07:57

That little girl is soooooo cute ^^; She makes me laugh so hard ^^; I totally love the way they made her character. Shingo was pretty good too. I was so touched by his speeches. They made me teary. And Yuko is pretty :) Though her character gives me an image of a rose. Pretty but thorns that will make you bleed... Overall very good and interesting script/dialogue

Magicus

Post by Magicus » Jan 24th, '08, 03:21

Sorry I just watched the first episode now so little late on this, but about your theory mizune....
I agree with it but I think rather than the real father being murdered it will be more "Yasashii Jikan" style where he killed him but it was more of a reckless accident, the character doesn't seem like a murdering type more like a guy who was just a stupid kid and his recklessness caused the death of the father so he's making it up by raising the daughter.

Also...I think the reason he was running to her with the rose was because she forgave him for the accident and he felt obligated to help her through the pregnancy...It was more of a "congratulations" flower I guess? :unsure:
Anyways I loved the first episode, reminds me of the classic dramas like long vacation

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 24th, '08, 04:01

Magicus wrote:Anyways I loved the first episode, reminds me of the classic dramas like long vacation
Really? I thought it's more of a Sleeping Forest kind of drama^^ But yeah maybe its a mix between both... coz despite the built-up mystery, the daily scenes are pretty light-hearted^^ I'm loving Takeuchi Yuko's child-like behaviours in Episode 2!

wapuro

Post by wapuro » Jan 24th, '08, 04:39

just finished episode 1
this dorama really "drama" isn't ???
still many things that i don't understand.......have to watch next episode.....^^

nomadzky

Post by nomadzky » Jan 24th, '08, 06:20

after reading some comments here, i decided to rewatch epi. 1. although mizune's theories were intriguing, i thought there was something amiss.

it's true that there's no tangible proof that Yuika was Shiomi's dead wife, but Shiomi did not correct Mio when she posed the question "You haven't fallen in love since your wife passed away?" and his answer was "it's hard to raise a kid and i don't have money either". i would assume from that conversation that Yuika was indeed his deceased wife. yes it can also be argued that it's easier to continue with the facade rather than pouring your heart out to a complete stranger, if the theory is correct. but, it could also be the typical father (evil doctor) who was opposed to their union in the first place and is blaming Shiomi for his daughter's death. he probably disowned his daughter and she might've had an existing illness that became deadly when she had Shizuku. maybe breaking Shiomi emotionally by using Mio is the only way for him to find peace. One other thing that led me to assume that she was the wife was how he, over the years, collected flowering plants until he started his shop.

Mio might have done something that will implicate her and could result to her dismissal as a nurse. and the doctor is maybe using that against her will to carry out his revenge against Shiomi like how it showed towards the end of the episode.

These are just my theories as well based from what I watched in episode 1. The mystery to me is the rose. i wonder what it symbolizes. and why did Shiomi decide not to sell roses. could it be because his wife's promise that it's a sign of her unchanging love yet she died and now the meaning is no longer significant?
This is a first time for me to watch Shingo in a drama and I must say I like how he plays Shiomi so far. I like the dynamics between father/daughter, Shiomi/Mio, Shiomi/neighbors. The pacing and music are good. I can't wait until the plot unfolds.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 24th, '08, 09:20

This is from The Television Weekly magazine issue 2008 No.4, 1/26-21, that just came out. Article and screenshot preview of the tensed, climax scene in Episode 3, that'll air next Monday. Those who does not want to be SPOILED, better not open this...

Katori Shingo, The Good Papa Becomes A Violent Bad Guy!?
translated by Yanie

Takeuchi, rubbing her own hands, came to the filming location saying, "Onegaishimaasu~", looking bright and was smiling. Amazingly, the next second she was already crying loudly and looking scared to see the violence happening in front of her!
--

Eiji (Katori Shingo) falls to the ground with bruises on his face. But in the next moment, he suddenly grab the youngster's arm and twist it up! This is a scene from Bara no nai Hanaya, where Eiji tries to rescue Mio from a gank of youngsters.
Eiji who is usually calm, has his eyes lit up like fire, in this scene. Mio, who never thought that Eiji can be this violent, and since she only pretend to be blind, become flustered to see this. She screams for help with all her might.

After the director yelled "CUT!", Katori yelled, "UKIIII~~~!!!" just like Son Gokuu, the monkey king, the role he played in Saiyuuki last year. The whole staffs and casts laughed to that.

epi

Post by epi » Jan 24th, '08, 15:15

at first i hesitate to watch this drama ... thinking that maybe it's too draggy and too complicated ...

but after watching the first ep ... i totally love this drama
of course having takeuchi there is a plus cause she's just one of my fav actresses
and i don't mind the rather show pace of the drama at all
because in the midst of the seriousness, there are the funny moments
like seeing shizuku wearing the mask (that just totally cracks me up)
and the scene where the old lady keeps on saying "are u blaming me?"
gotta admit that the young actress playing shizuku is so cute and she has good acting skills too
the way she cries at the park when his dad told him the story of north wind and the sun ... i can't help but crying with her
i also love the scene where she is cuddling to his dad in front of mio's apt
can't wait to see how the story unfolds
and it seems like there are so many layers hidden in this drama

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 24th, '08, 16:36

Pictures from the official website:

ImageImageImage

Magazine scans:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 24th, '08, 16:38

edited and translated by Yanie
source: Bara no nai Hanaya Official Website

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 24th, '08, 16:40

The Casts' Greetings at the Press Conference, 19 December 2007
translated by Yanie

Nojima Shinji (scriptwriter):
Minna-san, ohisashiburi(long time no see) desu (laughs). We have gathered such a wonderful casting here. Everyone have their own acting quality type, and it's like I've been given various colours of crayons while having fun drawing the picture(*writing the script).
There's the last episode's script left for me to write from now on, and just so you get the picture, I'm thinking to end it like "New Cinema Paradise"(*Nuovo Cinema Paradiso, the 1989 Italian movie) ending. What do you think?

Nakae Isao (director):
It's been 2 weeks since we started filming, and it has progressed smoothly (laughs). In this story, there are some complex parts, so we can't talk much about the plot. I've worked together with Nojima-san so many times, and it seems that our combination gives the impression of a dark story drama image. But I can assure you, that is not the case for this time. Although we've only started filming, and I don't know how many more production I'll do in the future, but this story is definitely in my BEST 3 list for now!

Katori Shingo (Shiomi Eiji):
Just like how the director has said that this story is his Best 3, I really love this story too. There are several surprising developments in the first episode, and there are still more surprising developments in the second, third episode, then I heard from the staff that it becomes continuously surprising in each episode. I think it'll pull out our acting skills to the max. I've only read up to the second episode, though. I read the script for the second episode, right before the filming started, so I was surprised and at the same time I have to get ready to act the scene myself (laughs). If I don't do this seriously, it'll definitely be difficult. But even it's in the cold weather, we are progressing smoothly. Minna-san, please watch it. I will also definitely watch when it broadcast on TV.

Takeuchi Yuko (Shirato Mio):
There are alot of things I cannot talk about right now, so first of all, I just want everyone to watch the first episode. And yes, the filming is really progressing smoothly (laughs). Slowly the casts and staffs comes to get along with each other and everyone has good team work. Everyone are doing their best, so yoroshiku onegaiitashimasu.

Shaku Yumiko (Ono Yuki):
This is my first time in playing the role as an elementary school teacher. The kids I've been filming scenes together with, are very lively and they shared that power to me, so I managed to keep acting the part. I'd like to get used to the filming set's atmosphere soon, just like Katori-san, who is always lively on the set, just like the sun to all of us.

Matsuda Shota (Kudo Naoya):
To express it in one word, Naoya is a "noisy" guy, but he has many secrets. He's a guy who brings alot of his dark past. We're still in the beginning of the filming, so together with the directors and casts, I'd like to form this character more.

Terajima Susumu (Shijo Kengo):
I don't know much, since I haven't finish reading the script, but it's been a long time since I act in an adult drama. I hope we can finish this filming safely without anyone getting hurt. Let's not catch a cold until the closing ceremony, and I want to drink good sake with everyone!

Ikeuchi Junko (Hishida Keiko):
Nojima-san, the writer and Nakae-san, the director has strangely, given me this beautiful role. An old lady who doesn't act like her age, so I feel nervous in acting it. I hope I can do this together with everyone to the end without catching cold. I'll do my best. Yoroshiku onegaiitashimasu!

Miura Tomokazu (Anzai Teruo):
I'm playing the role as a president of a well-known hospital, who hates Eiji, the character Shingo-kun's playing, because of a reason. Why does he hate Eiji? It'll be revealed slowly in the drama. And please look forward to the changes happen to this man.

Last edited by yanie on Jan 25th, '08, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 24th, '08, 16:45

INTERVIEW 1: Katori Shingo-san (acting the role as Shiomi Eiji)
translated by Yanie

Q. What was your impression the first time you read Nojima Shinji-san's "Bara no nai Hanaya" script?
I've loved Nojima-san's works since a long time ago. I've once starred "Miseinen" drama written by Nojima-san, but has not been playing in a drama written by him, since then. I've been playing the roles, like in "NINxNIN~Ninja Hattori-kun THE MOVIE" and "SAIYUUKI", instead, which feels 'kinda' apart from Nojima-san's pieces.
Now, I'm finally going to star a drama written by him again, and I've read "Bara no nai Hanaya" script, then I've realized all over again that I do like Nojima-san's story. His stories really captures people's hearts. Unusually, he writes many "dialogues" which are not expressed by words. Things that are usually not really often, or not good to be said, are said in his scripts. Actually, there are lines in the scripts that I don't really want to recite, however I have no choice but to recite it. Each line is really capturing. I've only read the beginning, yet I feel really moved already.

Q. How about the first time you had an introduction meeting with the other casts and staffs? When you read the script together with them?
The introduction meeting's atmosphere was sullen (laughs). Actually, introduction meeting in any kind of productions would have this sullen kind of air. It's the first time for staffs and casts to meet, so everyone's nervous. It always started by the producers, who gives stutter greetings, thus it becomes contagious for the others (laughs). Of course, I was also nervous, it gave a feeling of "I hope this meeting finishes soon".

Q. What do you think of your co-stars on that moment?
Even from the script-reading time, everyone fits their role's images perfectly. It felt like the images I had of the characters when I read the script has appeared before my eyes. In previous productions, I slowly started to feel "This person fits the image, da naa..." as the filming progressed. But this time, the moment I met them, I immediately knew "This person must be playing this role!". I never really experienced that before.

Q. What kind of character is Eiji?
I really think "There are parts of him that resembles me". Although I have sides like Son Gokuu, but actually I also have sides of myself that I don't really want people to know. Though I don't want people to know, or don't want to show it in front of others, coincidentally there are not many people who can pull off that side of me. Eiji has many of that side of me, so I guess this time everyone might be able to see my other side that I've been hiding all this time.

Q. Has it been a long time since you play a human role?
First of all, I'm very happy about it (laughs). But at the same time, it's also difficult. Now, there are times when I thought that a "not human" role was easier to act. Well, I guess each role has it's own difficulties. For instance, Gokuu always shows this high tension acts, but on the contrary, it is difficult to hold it back now.
It's the kind of difficulties that "Is it okay if I act this in a natural way?", and to express it in a natural way, is exactly the difficult part. Of course, Eiji is totally different than Gokuu. And what I've been doing in the filming this time, is to empty my mind when I'm acting the role. Not thinking of anything, and just emptied my head. Then I tried to recite each of my lines...
I really didn't think of "on this moment, I should say it in this intonation", not at all. Though there's a possibility it'll become a bad result, but it is also actually a "straight-reading", so if the result's good, it might be better that way.

Q. This is the first time you're playing the role as a father, ne. Is there any strange feeling about it?
Not at all. When I read the paper's articles headlines, "Shingo Papa!", I just realized "Aa~, so I've never played the role as a father before?" (laughs). I really don't think of any special way to act the role just because it's the first time I'm playing the role as a father.

Q. What is your impression of your co-star, Takeuchi Yuko?
I feel really happy to be able to star a drama with her. Because she's the kind of actress that will make actors thinks "it'll be great if I can act a drama together with her someday". Not only as her co-star, but I feel excited of what kind of acting she will show this time, as a common person too. The more we discuss about it, the more we feel excited about it.

Q. This drama's genre is "human love story", right?
That expression is very appropriate. This is a human drama, and also, not just a man and woman's type of love, but it also has many types of human relationship's love. This drama also shows the type of hate that is caused by a love.

Q. It seems like the story's development is the kind that's hard to imagine, ne.
Yes. In each episode, there will be unthinkable, sudden and extreme developments, and that applies for Episode 2, 3 and 4 too... that's what I love the most from this story. And the staffs who has read more than Ep.4 told me, "The development will get more extreme later,". Wow, I cannot imagine, since even from the first and second episode are quite extreme already (laughs). So, I guess for those who doesn't know the contents of the script are lucky. If you read alot of it already, then you watch the previous scenes, you'll think "Aa... because it's gonna be like that later, so it's like this on this moment...", and you'll think many more things.
So, minna-san, please look forward to those developments and watch the show.

The themesong of the drama is "Zutto Issho sa" (Always Together) by Yamashita Tatsuro, that will be released in March 2008. Shingo was asked about the themesong.
"This song really fits the drama, and lately I've been humming to this song. There's this "shijima" word in the lyrics and I look it up in the dictionary, and apparently it means "silence". I really love how Yamashita-san sings."

====

I recommend Nojima Shinji's MISEINEN (Underage) drama^^ Shingo was only 18 in the drama, and he played the role as a retarded boy :D It got 20.0% average rating when it was aired back in 1995. About a group of 5 youngsters, starring Ishida Issei and Sorimachi Takashi, too. Also Hamasaki Ayumi^^ The story is good, especially the last 2 episodes which were perfect!! Light-hearted friendship moments, yet it gets darker and darker near the end... and really unexpected developments happened. It's unexpected, coz the first half showed such pure and fun friendship. I wonder if "Bara no nai Hanaya" will also be like that xD It might have the same pattern, afterall.
Last edited by yanie on Jan 24th, '08, 17:20, edited 3 times in total.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 24th, '08, 16:51

INTERVIEW 2: Takeuchi Yuko-san (acting the role as Shirato Mio)
translated by Yanie

*WARNING: Contains SPOILERS at least, up to Episode 2!*

Q. It has been 3 years since your last TV drama, ne.
It's really been a long time. I felt it would be better if I just let everything taken care for me in the filming set. Doesn't mean that I only depend on other people, though. Although 3 years is a very short of time, still, there are things in a drama series making that feels new to me. To respond to these many new things, I'm giving out my "full-working engine".

Q. Do you feel any certain pressure?
I tried my best not to feel any pressure. Although I've been hearing "3 years" or "it's been a long time" alot, I tried not to think of it too much. If I carry that burden, I may get excited for nothing. I'm worried if there's this useless strange energy comes in and out of me. So I tried to take it lightly as much as I can.

Q. What was your impression the first time you read the script?
I thought, "A! This is really Nojima-san's piece,". So while I was reading it, I thought "there must be lots of things that will happen". Somehow, I gotten strongly pulled to the story, and I feel touched with Eiji and his daughter, Shizuku's relationship. About the character I'm playing, Mio, I was thinking, "Ee? So is she in love already?". When she's by Eiji-san's side, is she attacking him? Or is she smitten by him? I think this part is peculiar. On one look, she may look like a selfish and whiny child, but I think Mio also has this thornless side of her.

Q. Reading the script, do you have any thoughts about Nojima-san?
Yes. For example, the scenes that has continuous lines in a certain good tempo. If we can't create that certain tempo with our own way, it won't work. And, since in the interval between one line with another has this certain fast development pace, we have to adjust ourselves with the characters we're playing.
Nojima-san's lines are cute, but scary. Those words can really touch people's heart, and we have to find our own way in expressing and reciting those words.

Q. Takeuchi-san, what do you think yourself about the lines written by Nojima-san?
There are words that's difficult to say in our real daily life. If I can say that, I'd really like to say it. I really wish to say it (laughs). Although I don't know whether or not I want to become like Mio...
Is Mio really an agressive person? I feel that she might be scared of falling in love. Since she feel so scared of it, she shows her bad attitude, instead.

Q. There's "Bara no nai~"(*~without a rose) in the title, do you think Mio's character image fits the rose?
The reason why there are thorns in roses, might be because roses are fragile. If we don't take care of it carefully, it won't become a good flower. If Mio really want to be treated like that as well, then she's a rose. However, there's "sakura" kanji character in her name (*Mio's "mi" is "utsukushii(beautiful)" kanji and "o" is "sakura" kanji). So I wonder which flower depicts her image? Maybe, Mio also has this bold side of her, just like sakura.

Q. Why do you think Mio pretend to be blind to get close to Eiji?
She must has no choice. Indeed, what she does is really sly. She has fallen to the "disgraceful human" level. So I feel pity for Mio. Actually there must be other ways for her to get close to Eiji, but she was forced by Anzai Teruo-inchou(*the hospital director) to do this one way... I pity her.

Q. It seems that Mio feels guilty as well.
It must be since her heart was touched by Eiji-san's character. Eiji-san never calculate things, either it's good or bad, he just keep being good to people. The kind of man people can trust, and also the kind of man that can easily be deceived. That's exactly why, Mio come to think "let's make him take care of something".

Q. However, this blind act will cause damage if Mio come to love Eiji for real later, ne.
Really! When and what kind of timing will it be revealed? Or it won't be revealed at all? I'm really looking forward to see how it ends up.

Q. What does Takeuchi-san think about "deceiving other people"?
To deceive other people, is just the same as deceiving their ownselves. By deceiving people, they get some fortunes or they don't want people to know the truth... Hiding their ownselves at the back, covering many things... In the end, their lying behaviours will be seen through. However, I think there are lies that can be forgiven and cannot be forgiven. Mio's lies cannot be forgiven. But lies to concern other people's feelings might be necessary. For example, if children ask us about Santa Claus' existence, for me, I will say "Yes, he exist" until that child realized the truth by themselves. I like those kind of small lies that can make people happy.

Q. This is your first time to act together with Katori-san, what do you think of him?
I think Katori-san is a very delicate person, naa... Really, delicate, and he actually has many similarities with the role he's playing, Eiji-san. He always thinks and care about other people.

Q. As this is a Nojima Shinji work, we won't know what's gonna happen next, ne.
Rather than worrying "They will definitely be blown up by a very strong wind!", I feel the curiousity of "I wonder what will happen next?", instead. I really look forward to it, the wind-blow moments, and the heart-warming moments... I'd like to have fun while filming this dorama.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 25th, '08, 06:23

Has anybody ever watch "Nuovo Cinema Paradiso"? It's a 1989 Italian movie. The writer of this drama, Nojima Shinji said, in the press conference, that he was thinking to end the story like that movie... :blink: What movie is that?

voth

Post by voth » Jan 25th, '08, 19:28

yanie wrote:Has anybody ever watch "Nuovo Cinema Paradiso"? It's a 1989 Italian movie. The writer of this drama, Nojima Shinji said, in the press conference, that he was thinking to end the story like that movie... :blink: What movie is that?
If you have a decent provider you can still grab this film. :whistling:

kawaiimomo

Post by kawaiimomo » Jan 25th, '08, 21:20

you can watch the ending on youtube! i did and it was interesting......

anyways can't wait to see the next ep on Monday!

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jan 26th, '08, 00:57

Here's the link to that ending on youtube:
I guess Nojima would be referring to what was happening on screen in that film? So if that's the case, looks like it's going to end with a kiss :scratchchin:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Jan 26th, '08, 04:07

atskv9 wrote:I guess Nojima would be referring to what was happening on screen in that film? So if that's the case, looks like it's going to end with a kiss :scratchchin:
That's what I thought too, the drama will end with a montage of hot kissing scenes between Eiji and Mio, lol! :lol

But it could also be Eiji watching home videotapes alone... or, that hospital director instead?
Last edited by yanie on Jan 26th, '08, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.