RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE KDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Feb 4th, '08, 17:50

Oh I forgot one drama. Mr X's drama of the year 2007: Conspiracy at the Court. An English subbed DVD is out but no one has ripped the subs...yet :roll

belleza

Post by belleza » Feb 4th, '08, 18:29

Yeah, 2007 KBS went absolutely crazy with their programming, throwing in a bunch of fusion dramas, K-dramas based on manga/J-dramas, and would-be mania shows. On one hand, they got killed almost all year, except for their daily dramas and Dae Jo Young. On the other, many musos believe they had overall the most interesting shows.

Even though MBC has the reputation of having the best/most famous sageuks, KBS is really the sageuk station. In addition to Conspiracy, they did a joint sageuk with North Korea, "Sa Yug Shin" (which didn't look too appetizing for me, the production looked kinda crap), and Dae Jo Young (like Hwang Ji-ni) ruled the 2007 KBS Awards. I mean, Jumong is great, but Jumong is also kind of a cartoon. It's All In dressed up as a sageuk.

Conspiracy of the Court was their fusion sageuk of 2007, and I saw a little of it (maybe half an episode -- it was running against the Coffee Prince.) It was apparently written as a kind of murder mystery, intricately plotted and just really dark. Couldn't really follow it even though there were subs.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Feb 4th, '08, 18:33

belleza wrote: Couldn't really follow it even though there were subs.
From KBS World?
If yes you might also watch Daewang Sejong right now...one of those more realistic period dramas :roll ....I wished I had KBS World. :cry:

belleza

Post by belleza » Feb 4th, '08, 18:45

From KBS LA (i.e. KBS World.) But it's too hard following KBS1 K-dramas due to their weekend runs and 100+ episodes. (And besides, if I'm home on Saturdays, I usually watch Taiga. Atsuhime is starting this Saturday!) I think Dae Jo Young is about to finish here, and then King Sejong will run.

This is a great era for sageuks. When the demographics were broken down, it went something like Legend was a hit with the <25 set (BYJ oppa! squeeeee!!!), Yi San with the 25-40 set, and King and I with the 40+ set.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Feb 4th, '08, 18:59

belleza wrote:From KBS LA (i.e. KBS World.) But it's too hard following KBS1 K-dramas due to their weekend runs and 100+ episodes. (And besides, if I'm home on Saturdays, I usually watch Taiga. Atsuhime is starting this Saturday!) I think Dae Jo Young is about to finish here, and then King Sejong will run.

This is a great era for sageuks. When the demographics were broken down, it went something like Legend was a hit with the <25 set (BYJ oppa! squeeeee!!!), Yi San with the 25-40 set, and King and I with the 40+ set.
The only bad thing about KBS LA are the cut out parts. I wasnt a fan of DJY so I didnt follow it and the cuts killed it for me.
Just like DJY, the King Sejong tv rips might be uploaded but you are lucky you get to see Atsuhime...I want to see that one too.

Me period drama otaku :roll

kpajamas613

Post by kpajamas613 » Feb 5th, '08, 22:24

here's my list of best/most recommended
(these are based on how much i was able to fall in love with the characters, situation and humor. i am not taking into account cheesiness, bad acting, etc...)

THE BEST! (buying the DVDs when i can afford them :)
Hong gil dong- currently-going-on drama always leaves me screaming/crying/laughing, waiting for the next episode. Robin-hood like storyline.

Biscuit teacher and star candy- AMAZING romantic comedy...airhead teacher and the one sided love of a hot, popular male student.

My Girl- romantic comedy so funny! such lovable, pitiable characters. set a high standard for kdramas for me.

My 19 year old sister in law- another romantic comedy.. this one actually has some profound words. very cute and touching.

My name is Kim Sam Soon- romantic comedy featuring a dumpy, down to earth 30-something woman. great storyline. this one is actually written very well.

hwang jin yi- historical drama about famous giseng (almost like a prostitute) Hwang jin yi. follows her various loves and exploits. she was famous for being a brilliant poet and dancer. SO SAD!!!!

Coffee prince- the hype about this one is so worth it. all of the characters are such amazing people you cant help but to fall in love, or hope to meet people like them.

Goong/princess hours- cute love storyline... extremely entertaining. only downside is that, last second, the company decided to extend it , so the ending drags on.

jumong- another historical. very long, 80 eps! but the first 40 or so are so good! actually theyre all god, but its so long... it was the top rated/most watched drama of 2007

Stairway to heaven- a good drama for those of you who are new.

belleza

Post by belleza » Feb 6th, '08, 02:26

Part of Atsuhime's appeal for me is that it's a Jidaigeki. Hope

I've only seen taiga that occurs in the Warring States-era . . . which for me always stuck out among other Asian period dramas, because it mirrors our current sensibilities about war and politics. There is no moral imperative behind war; there is no true central identity or manifest destiny; there is only survival and ambition, therefore men doing both incredible and terrible (and incredibly terrible) things, that nevertheless remain transient against even this relatively brief era. It's the only format where evil is consistently rewarded, and where a moral conscience constantly wails away.

This gets tiring after awhile, even if Gackt shows up at the party. :D

It's funny -- I read somewhere that the writer of Dae Jang Geum was partially inspired by manga and Jidaigeki.

mannymo

Post by mannymo » Feb 18th, '08, 06:14

Add 2 more WoW's to my list.....

RECOMMENDED:

-Evasive Inquiry Agency aka Mixed up Investigative Agency
What an unbelievable fun to watch drama this is. It's not the usual kdrama you see around, so it might not be for everybody out there. But what a jewel :wub: . Take 4 people with their own character trades, mix em up and let them go treasurehunting in their way and with their emotions, add up the perfectly build up story/plotlines and we got 16 episodes of entertainment, excitement, realistic emotions.

-Surgeon Bong Dal Hee
18 episode roller coaster ride! It just grabs you from the start and before you know it...it's over. The combination of love/drama with the stress,tension moral/ethic problems in a hospital keeps you on the edge of your seat. I did learn some new medical words (long live wikipedia and WITHS2 for their translationefforts)

[/b]

leenzy

Post by leenzy » Feb 18th, '08, 06:25

Coffee Shop----> Hardly Recommended!!! :cheers: :wub:

ohhbitemex

Post by ohhbitemex » Feb 18th, '08, 10:06

Yul wrote:
ohhbitemex wrote:Can anyone recommend good melodramas? Not dramas like Winter Sonata or Stairway to Heaven. I'm looking for the REALLY DEPRESSING AND DARK dramas like I'm Sorry I Love You, A Love to Kill, and Spring Waltz. Any melodramas that involve family, love, and betrayal??
you & me have the same taste........I recomend you to watch :

The Devil
Time btw the dog & the wolf
Thank you
Snow Queen
Resurrection

I'm sure you will like all my list.......hope U will enjoy it...............Don't forget to PM me after U watch 'em & tell me UR opinion :-)
junebaby wrote:Sorry, I'm not sure if you can watch MY OLDER SISTER online coz I watched pirated dvds! But do try to find it - I LOVE the pairing of Song Yun Ah and Kim Sung Soo(best onscreen chemistry I've seen in a long while)

If you go for darker dramas; look out for
RESURRECTION
THE DEVIL
PHOENIX
SEOUL'S SAD SONG
memories in Bali
the SANDGLASS - a classic!
fashion 70s
snow queen
OH MY GOODNESS. Thank you both! I hope they're as good as Spring Waltz and MISA :] I really LOVED those dramas. Yeah, I don't know why I'm into depressing things. I like to cry my heart out :unsure: But if anyone else knows

"...good melodramas? Not dramas like Winter Sonata or Stairway to Heaven. I'm looking for the REALLY DEPRESSING AND DARK dramas like I'm Sorry I Love You, A Love to Kill, and Spring Waltz. Any melodramas that involve family, love, and betrayal?"

if anyone else knows dramas like that, please list them :]

MsKorea

Post by MsKorea » Feb 19th, '08, 00:41

There's a new drama out, airing on KBS; Daewang Sejong. I'm only on the 3rd ep, but seems pretty good so far.

harharpan

Post by harharpan » Feb 20th, '08, 18:20

I'd like to try watching one of these if they have a good storyline, but I'm not sure if I have the attention span for more than 20+ epsiodes..

cutina124

Post by cutina124 » Feb 22nd, '08, 13:34

So I've come back to Korean drama's after staying away...far far far away for roughly a year. I've just got into some recently but I'll list my All time FAVS

Best
Full House (My second one and I found it endearing. I've also been able to watch it like 4 times which you can't do with almost ALL Korean Drama's!
Sassy Girl Chun-Hyang (I found this drama to have a good plot and it was sweet. I also love the acting and teh main leads are some of my favorite!)
My Girl (Perfect Drama. Acting great. Music good. Storyline amazing.)
Lovely Kim Sam Soon (It kept me in it until the end! Something that is rare in Korean Drama's for me...recently)
Wonderful Life (The acting improved and the storyline dragged for maybe 2 episodes but otherwise AMAZING! THe little girl is wonderful.)
Coffee Prince (Loved it)
Goong (WONDERFUL)
Stairway to Heaven (Loved it but it was my first drama so who knows if I'm biased ^_^)
Tree of Heaven (I loved this more then most dramas! I loved the actors and eerything worked!)

OK

Love story in Harvard (I liked this and the ending left me satasfied.)
My Love Patzzi (Great story but not the best!)
Winter Sonata (Ok)
Autumn Love (wan't bad but not great! Chemistry WAS AMAZING)

Don't Watch

Ruler of your own world (I hated this. I found it boring but the acting is good. The main guy has a strange way of portraying emotion that annoyed me and the chemistry between all characters lacked)]

There are more but I can't list them all![/b]

latuongtu

Post by latuongtu » Feb 23rd, '08, 12:52

ohhbitemex wrote:
Yul wrote:
ohhbitemex wrote:Can anyone recommend good melodramas? Not dramas like Winter Sonata or Stairway to Heaven. I'm looking for the REALLY DEPRESSING AND DARK dramas ...

if anyone else knows dramas like that, please list them :]

Well, if it is a REALLY DEPRESSING AND DARK's drama you are looking for, then you need to watch DAMO! (I love this drama, but after watching it, I was really sad for about 2 months! It is really hard to shake off the hopelessness of the three people involved! But this is a beautiful love story...)

sukkee!!

GREEN ROSE

Post by sukkee!! » Feb 26th, '08, 02:31

wow..this is getting interesting..any dark dramas reccomended?i mean serious play drama..
coz no one reply on my post.. :cry: :cry:

reccomended from me..
green rose
this drama even in slower pace..but the way he settle the problem really professional!
i like that..

and of course MISA.. :thumleft:

saby

Re: GREEN ROSE

Post by saby » Feb 26th, '08, 08:39

sukkee!! wrote:wow..this is getting interesting..any dark dramas reccomended?i mean serious play drama..
coz no one reply on my post.. :cry: :cry:

reccomended from me..
green rose
this drama even in slower pace..but the way he settle the problem really professional!
i like that..

and of course MISA.. :thumleft:
dark drama ? I think you should see THE DEVIL then .. I loved it because its different

asdfghj

Post by asdfghj » Mar 1st, '08, 17:22

GREAT DRAMAS

Jumong: this a drama that is very good. Sonk il g**k and co made this drama very interesting. It has comedy, action, sad moments...a mean really sad, happy....the thin about this drama is that all emotions involved are protrayed very well, Its my favorite and kept me at home for 1 week( watched during holidays). :cheers: :salut: :thumleft: :thumright:

MY Girl: have the DVD that means its really nice, with nice OST

MNIKSS: comedy

LOVERS: kampeh...lol..gangster movie...and lee seo jin

PH: good really good

TOMATO: this drama is really good even though it was out since 1999. but watchin it a saw that many dramas had some ideas taken from this drama. ( wen ha friend took the deposit and the main lady was homeless but later stayed wit the leadFH, the cousin likin the same girl( save the last dance for me, etc)

Air City: action plus romance...really good

Full House: it was my first kdrama. but now that i have seen other kdramas and their acting, one thin i can say even though a love Bi is, HE IS NOT A REALLY GOOD ACTOR. I wonder how the drama would have turned out if SHG wasnt in it.

THANK YOU: Sad and also inspiring

LIP

HWANG JIN YI

DAE JANG GEUM

DRAMAZ THAT ARE "OKAY"

WONDERFUL LIFE: It got dragged out in the end 8)

1% of anything: the starting was nice but late became kinda like "huh" :scratch:

Wedding
Prince's first love
capital scandal

Amber111

Any similar medical drama like Surgeon Bong Dal Hee?

Post by Amber111 » Mar 2nd, '08, 05:16

I watched this series and fell in love with it. It's so good, it has all the components to a perfect drama. I'm currently watching New Heart which seems to be very promising.

Does anyone know any other medical drama similar to Surgeon Bong Dal Hee? Involving doctors and medical stuff but with a bit of romance as well?

cyberdude

Post by cyberdude » Mar 9th, '08, 16:52

Kurosagi: I liked it but it needs a second season...

alcozar

Post by alcozar » Mar 11th, '08, 14:54

Coffee Prince, really enjoyed it, wish they had made the hanakimi versions even half as good as this...

leenzy

Post by leenzy » Mar 12th, '08, 05:14

guys, can u all recommend me what's the best dramas in 2007 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: ?...i hope u guys can help me ...the dramas before 2007 also can...i like the romantic comedy..funny :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: ...not too sad dramas..eheh..Thanks very much... :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:

finished watching (complete collections :wub: :wub: :wub: ) :

Bad family, coffee prince, witch yoo hee, 9 ends 2 outs, the devil, hello miss, PRINCESS Hours, prince hours, vineyard men, my lovely kim samsoon, my girl, sweet spy, my love pattzzi, winter sonata, full house, only U, lets go to the beach...

i'm going to watch:

time between dog n wolf
hong gil dong (ep : 1-12, not finished downloading it..)
robbers

usagidani

Post by usagidani » Mar 12th, '08, 10:48

Hi there

I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to help me? I'm currently sick with a bad head cold so apologies for not reading all of the forum, I can't focus very well at the moment...but I digress...can someone please recommend some good korean dramas to watch that are airing at the moment or have just finished airing? I need something to watch to keep me from dying of boredom at home.

I like romantic comedies or family oriented dramas, have recently watched Get Karl and have downloaded Coffee Prince but can't seem to finish watching the first episode.

Would really apreciate a reply.

Thanks guys.

:thumright:

guccijana

Post by guccijana » Mar 12th, '08, 20:12

@usagidanii-- would highly recommend "dal ja's spring"

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » Mar 14th, '08, 02:01

leenzy & usagidani: If you haven't watched it, you should definitely try Dal Ja's Spring! It's my favourite romantic/comedy Kdrama. The plot may sound a bit "been there, done that" - 30 something, successful working woman who's still a girl at heart and trying to find love, but finding it in a completely unexpected way - but it's done in a fresh, engaging way that makes you fall in love with all the characters. The lead female character is hilarious too; her imagination and all the fixes she gets herself into is seriously funny XD

Legend of Hyang Dan is another one that I enjoyed. It's a 2 episode special that plays on the old legend of Chun Hyang - what happens if Mong Ryong falls in love with Hyang Dan instead? It's definitely comedic; there's even a parody of Prison Break in there which I found absolutely hilarious. Don't let the ancient setting throw you off, it's not serious at all. Choi Shiwon and Seo Ji Hye were lovely in it.

Rude Woman / Outrageous Women is slightly older at 2006, but I adored it. It has a very neat balance of romance (younger guy, older woman, but she looks young and they're so cute), and family (her relationship with her son is adorable!). I recently finished Fantasy Couple as well, and it's really worth watching. It's based on the American movie Overboard, where the spoilt rich woman falls over the boat and loses her memory, and is picked up by her worst enemy who originally decides to use her as a "maid" but ends up falling for her instead.

lilythai

Post by lilythai » Mar 16th, '08, 21:28

you could try New Heart starring Ji Sung and Kim Mun Jung..
it had very high ratings in Korea :-) i'm currently watching it and i love it!

loveless_soul

Post by loveless_soul » Mar 16th, '08, 22:45

I think you can try watching the White Tower http://wiki.d-addicts.com/White_Tower I'm not sure if it's subbed though... >_>"

beertax

Post by beertax » Mar 16th, '08, 23:54

White Tower doesn't have the typical romance element present in New HEart. White Tower is mostly about the office politics in a big hospital and the ambitions of a talented doctor.

aigooo

Post by aigooo » Mar 17th, '08, 00:10

Cloud Stairway?

aigooo

Post by aigooo » Mar 17th, '08, 00:12

Kdrama ; Thank You ?

beertax

Post by beertax » Mar 17th, '08, 02:08

Cloud Stairway is 90% romance and 10% pseudo medical science. Plus it isn't in the same league as New Heart or White Tower.

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 17th, '08, 05:05

Involving doctors and medical stuff but with a bit of romance as well?
From what I've read, the 3 classics are

General Hospital (1994) -- and there had been talks of MBC doing a update of this show. Probably should mention that K-drama that predates, oh, 1997 are kinda . . . dated. :D

Sunflower (1998) -- Ahn Jae Wook/Kim Hee Sun (during her reign as Princess/Queen of K-drama) /etc, and the first drama attached to the writer of Ruler of Your Own World and Ireland.

Doctors / Medicine Brothers (1997) -- see banner above. This one is perpetually available at your local Asian drama store. Watershed drama for careers of Jang Dong Gun and Lee Young Ae, both who were considered more pretty faces than real actors then.

sad_dumpling

Post by sad_dumpling » Mar 21st, '08, 05:55

definetly :wub: NEW HEART :wub:
i loved bong dal hee and eun-sung in new heart is like the man-version of bong dal hee.
its quite cute

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Mar 21st, '08, 14:58

I really want to try my first sageuk sometime in the near future. Hong Gil Dong doesn't count, but it's really making me think that I might actually enjoy watching these shows that revolve around politics and men wearing dresses killing other men wearing dresses. I always used to avoid watching historical dramas simply because at first glance they look unappealing. In Goong, my first look at historical Korea, the scenes in the palace made me press the fast-forward button (which I never ever use).

So, which one should it be? Dae Jang Geum or Jumong? Not which one is better; since those two are such highly-rated classics I think I'll enjoy both of them. But which one is best to watch first? Jumong is supposed to be a lot more intense so I have a feeling I should watch Dae Jang Geum first and start slow with 54 episodes.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Mar 21st, '08, 15:18

Why aren't you considering The Legend aka The Four Gods? It definitely is the most accessible to non-sageuk fans as it's fantasy based and not too difficult to get into. It's also very big budget which helps a lot since you don't get that cheapy feel that always seems to be prevalent in most Asian historical series not just Korean ones.

I'm watching it right now and I can say so far it's lived up to the hype. I'm actually amazed that I'm enjoying it considering I hated Bae Yong Jun prior to watching this and find Moon So Ri a bit unattractive. Lee Ji Ah is great though, she looks much like an Elven archer in the first episode :)
WroW wrote:Oh I forgot one drama. Mr X's drama of the year 2007: Conspiracy at the Court. An English subbed DVD is out but no one has ripped the subs...yet :roll
Just wondering....Mr X left Twitch sometime mid 2006, so how do you guys still know about his reviews since then? I'm aware he has his own blog which he writes often, but it's all in Korean. Unless you guys understand it, I'm sure there are many people who would love to see the translations to his work :)

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Mar 21st, '08, 16:14

kobe23 wrote: Just wondering....Mr X left Twitch sometime mid 2006, so how do you guys still know about his reviews since then? I'm aware he has his own blog which he writes often, but it's all in Korean. Unless you guys understand it, I'm sure there are many people who would love to see the translations to his work :)
Well I don't really understand his reviews but he rates the dramas with stars, so even if you don't understand it, you`ll know when he likes a drama. And since he is the only reviewer I would blindly follow, I also use google translate to at least understand some of what he writes.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Mar 21st, '08, 20:19

If I find myself absolutely loving sageuks, then I'll definitely give Legend a shot (although over at dramabeans' the comments make it seem like your average, overrated show). I've just always wanted to watch Dae Jang Geum and Jumong as just about everybody talks about them.

Shawtai

Post by Shawtai » Mar 21st, '08, 20:51

Dramas:
Devil Beside You
Tree of Heaven
Lovely Complex
Brown Sugar Macchiato
Autumn Tale
Stairway to Heaven

Movies:
100 days with Mr. Arrogant
200 pounds of beauty
My Sassy Girl
My Little Bride
2 faces of my girlfriend
Ing

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Mar 21st, '08, 21:25

fizzlex3mh wrote:If I find myself absolutely loving sageuks, then I'll definitely give Legend a shot (although over at dramabeans' the comments make it seem like your average, overrated show).
Its definitely not average but it might be overrated...but which successful show isn't overrated? I think Dramabeans isn't really a sakeuk fan, so just try it and see. At least its an experience you won't get with any other drama.

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 21st, '08, 23:12

then I'll definitely give Legend a shot (although over at dramabeans' the comments make it seem like your average, overrated show).
I can see thunderbolt's criticisms of the show, esp. considering that this is the PD of Sandglass and Eyes of Dawn. Though X seemed pretty positive on PD's proper sageuk, the Great Ambition. BUT, the Legend's target audience was the <30 crowd, and it was written with probably that audience in mind. In fact, the netizens ended up voting the main leads of the show as favorite MBC couple of the year over the Coffee Prince. Yi San was most popular with the 25-40 set. And King+I was most popular with the 40+ audience. My mum loved about 90% of the show (10% = WTH ending), and she was gushing over Bae Yon Joon. She didn't understand the fuss over him until this show, and then she was like totally channeling Yonsama.

The Legend is really unique in its own right. Literally, there is no other Asian drama like it, and no Asian drama that approaches it from the standpoint of production. The Japanese and Taiwanese reception has been slack-jawed; literally, nobody's ever seen any Asian country try to make something like this for TV.

I should say that Dramabeans perspective on sageuks reflects how I think most Asians Americans feel about historical dramas (and why a lot of younger Chinese viewers tune out Mandarin dramas and opt for TW idol dramas instead.) The MBC sageuks tend to do best at appealing to a wide demographic (i.e. younger people), but the KBS1 sageuks tend to do best critically. That makes sense since KBS, I think being a publi station, sageuks would be *roughly* the equivalent of NHK Taiga. And speaking of, Atsuhime is great It plays less like a proper taiga then some Asian equivalent of a coming-of-age Jane Austen novel.
Hong Gil Dong doesn't count, but it's really making me think that I might actually enjoy watching these shows that revolve around politics and men wearing dresses killing other men wearing dresses.
The intrigue aspect of HGD is on par with a good sageuk, but the acting hasn't been. And that's key; emotionally HGD hasn't registered as well as it should for me, because I've seen those elements executed much, much better in a proper sageuk, as well as in a fusion piece like Damo.
In Goong, my first look at historical Korea, the scenes in the palace made me press the fast-forward button (which I never ever use).
I actually watched Goong as a modern sageuk, with YEH as annoying side show. (I thought YEH was good in this role, but her character kinda took away what I actually liked about Goong) :D A lot of people are critical of Goong because of the acting, but the exectuion was still brilliant concept. (i.e. Charles and Diana, the Kpop remix.) Younger Korean audience was exposed to the classic elements of sageuk -- power struggles, inherited blood feuds, beautiful clothes -- in a format they could relate to. And the correlation of Asian royal pomp and circumstance with the European model was beautiful
So, which one should it be? Dae Jang Geum or Jumong?
I'd probably recommend Damo first. Damo's much shorter and is more in the style of HGD. Though much better.

Definitely Dae Jang Geum, but with the understanding that Dae Jang Geum is a borderline fusion show and not indicative of most sageuks. One speculation goes that the writer of DJG, a woman (very rare for sageuk adaptations) and her first major writing project, took influences from Japanese manga and adapted them into the sageuk format. So what you're watching is a cross between what you might see in a cooking J-drama with a semi-tournament format (aka, this week Jang Geum battles the Madam!) mixed into traditional sageuk elements. My mum's seen more than a hundred Asian historical dramas -- Chinese, Japanese, Korean. (Seriously, half of the Korean sageuks I have no frigging clue what they are!) DJG is still her favorite (and I think the Sandglass is a close second.)

Jumong is a lot of fun and very addictive. My brother's fiancee compares it to a cartoon, and that's probably the right comparison. This will sound like a odd comparison, but if you liked action shows like All In and Time of Dog and Wolf or movies like Typhoon, then you're going to like Jumong.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Mar 22nd, '08, 14:12

WroW wrote:
kobe23 wrote: Just wondering....Mr X left Twitch sometime mid 2006, so how do you guys still know about his reviews since then? I'm aware he has his own blog which he writes often, but it's all in Korean. Unless you guys understand it, I'm sure there are many people who would love to see the translations to his work :)
Well I don't really understand his reviews but he rates the dramas with stars, so even if you don't understand it, you`ll know when he likes a drama. And since he is the only reviewer I would blindly follow, I also use google translate to at least understand some of what he writes.
X's reviews are the most comprehensive and informative I have seen written in English and I still visit his blog (All in Korean) regularly despite not understanding a thing. But I've tried to find these ratings (stars) you mentioned and can't find a thing. I must be blind or something.....maybe you could point one out to me? Also, do you, or does anyone else know X's top 10 of 2007?

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Mar 22nd, '08, 14:39

belleza: What exactly is Javabeans' stance on Sageuks? I know she's not a fan of them, but what is her reasoning? I know for me I generally don't enjoy them because of the number of episodes involved and they're probably best watched with a firm grasp of Korean history. Not to mention everyone looks the same in period costume!

But back to Javabeans for now. I find people follow her opinions too blindly. I mean, they are after all, just her opinion. I always see people write "Ah, Javabeans doesn't like it so it must be crap", that kinda stuff. The Legend is a good drama (so far anyway), and as WroW said, it might be over-rated, but definitely not average.

And belleza I just want to tell you that you're very good at "selling" a product. You've made me even more interested in Jumong now after I've closed the door on it, you go and re-open i! Just like you did with Alone in Love and Fashion 70s. Now I just need to find 3 months free to accommodate it's length! Argh! I think I need to put you on my ignore list :P

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Mar 22nd, '08, 15:42

kobe23 wrote:
X's reviews are the most comprehensive and informative I have seen written in English and I still visit his blog (All in Korean) regularly despite not understanding a thing. But I've tried to find these ratings (stars) you mentioned and can't find a thing. I must be blind or something.....maybe you could point one out to me? Also, do you, or does anyone else know X's top 10 of 2007?
His latest entry for example is for Atsu Hime . If you go to the entry and look at the last picture, there are stars. He rates acting, writing ... (forgot which is which but you get the idea)

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 22nd, '08, 22:51

belleza: What exactly is Javabeans' stance on Sageuks? I know she's not a fan of them, but what is her reasoning? I know for me I generally don't enjoy them because of the number of episodes involved and they're probably best watched with a firm grasp of Korean history. Not to mention everyone looks the same in period costume!
This is an entry plus comments on the topic.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2007/09/the-sageuk-bandwagon/

The way her mum and dad view sageuks pretty much underline the differences between the male and female Asian historical drama (not just Korean) audience. The male viewers are much more critical about historical accuracy and overall depictions of key rulers; the female viewers are much more critical about the dramatic content and the costumes. The comments on nationalist pride are appropriate because Jumong really spoke to that, the sense of a great, mythical Korean (i.e. Joseon) identity that needed to be liberated from other forces. From a Western context, it's not unlike the 10 Commandments. That said, Jumong was popular because Jumong is, well, gangsta. It literally takes a nation of millions to hold him back. :D

Korean dramas, even historical dramas, tend to carry Christian overtones of good and evil, forgiveness and martyrdom, the sense that a righteous, moral force will prevail or provide solace. Taiga is more existential, and taiga speaks more to the cyclical, elusive flow of life, a perpetual coming-of-age for many different ages. Some of the best depictions of husbands and wive relationships, of normal people sharing extraordinary love in extraordinary times is depicted in taiga. Both have their strong points.

Lee Byung Hoon, director of Jang Geum and perhaps the finest producer of sageuks, tends to infuse the private, intimate human element into his sageuks. Sometimes, from the heavy criticism of longtime sageuk viewers, he overtly relaxes history and downplays the majesterial elements of his kings and officers, in order to produce an accessible, emotionally intimate drama with novel narrative elements. Although he's not considered fusion, his dramas of this decade have tried to move away from it. And in doing so, personally, his historical dramas at their best carry the private, elegaic insight of taiga, with the emotional release that we expect from K-drama.

If you watch Jumong and Jang Geum in succession, you'll notice the difference. Jumong is more thrilling, more pomp and circumstance, more classically heroic. But Jang Geum is more moving. At the heart of Jang Geum is a relationship between parent and child, about the karma and lessons formed from both Confucian and Western/proto-feminist sensibilities, that continue through you all your life. When people say that Lee Young Ae is the face of Hallyu Korea to the rest of Asia, they are admiring Jang Geum, the face of filial piety through the looking glass of women who are as capable as their male comrades. Jang Geum may be my favorite drama because nothing else stirs my own Asian identity so, so personally.
But back to Javabeans for now. I find people follow her opinions too blindly. I mean, they are after all, just her opinion. I always see people write "Ah, Javabeans doesn't like it so it must be crap", that kinda stuff. The Legend is a good drama (so far anyway), and as WroW said, it might be over-rated, but definitely not average.
But but but I post there! :( ;) Honestly, I think that's just blog culture in general. Unless your blog actively attracts hater traffic *cough*popseoul*cough*, most readers will be people who have similar opinions.

Legend was my #2 drama of the year. It would have been among my all-time top 5 had the writing been more, erm, "conclusive" in the last 1/3 of the show. 2007 was really a wonderful year of K-dramas; the past 2 and a half years KBS and MBC have worked really hard expanding the scope of their programming.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Mar 25th, '08, 01:57

Thanks belleza! Now I'm definitely going to watch DJG first, even though I have a feeling I was going to do that no matter what anybody else said. I'll put Damo on my sageuk must-watch list along with Legend, but I probably won't get to either of them. *sigh* so many dramas, so little time.

beertax

Post by beertax » Mar 25th, '08, 17:17

one thing I hate about these period dramas - Sa-Geuk - is the fact that everytime someone says something dramatic, the responder always repeats what the other person says.

Person A: "Lord, the enemy is approaching the gate!"
Person B: "What?! the enemy is approaching the gate?"

Or

Person A: "...becasue, he is your real father!"
Person B: "What?! Is he really my father?"

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 26th, '08, 06:42

This above conversation is very true, but it seems to work better when there's a lot of facial hair. And grunts. Sageuks grunts are the best! Hmph!! :lol

fizzo,

Speaking of sageuks, here's a clip of the greatest sageuk of all!

Tablo is love Sigh And Chae's definitely a better actress than Lee Hyori Definitely. ;)

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Mar 26th, '08, 14:18

beertax wrote:one thing I hate about these period dramas - Sa-Geuk - is the fact that everytime someone says something dramatic, the responder always repeats what the other person says.

Person A: "Lord, the enemy is approaching the gate!"
Person B: "What?! the enemy is approaching the gate?"

Or

I'm experiencing something similar with The Legend right now. For like about 5 episodes straight the dialogue goes like this:

Ho Gae: "I'm gonna be the Joo Shin King"
Dam Duk: "No, *I* am gonna be the Joo Shin King"
Ho Gae: "But I wanna be the Joo Shin King"
Dam Duk: "The heaven's have already decided - I am the Joo Shin King"
Ho Gae: "But my mommy said that I will be the Joo Shin King!"

Yeah I know, wild exaggeration, but it feels like that at times :) But apart from that, it's been a good drama so far.

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » Mar 26th, '08, 14:28

belleza wrote: Speaking of sageuks, here's a clip of the greatest sageuk of all!

Tablo is love Sigh And Chae's definitely a better actress than Lee Hyori Definitely. ;)
Oh god, that is hilarious. *dies at King Tablo vs. Snake* Tablo needs some facial hair to complete the picture, though ;D One cannot be a true macho sageuk man without the trademark facial hair and funny belt :D

Speaking of sageuks, it seems Eric of Shinhwa will be in one where he's a government official by day and righteous assassin by night? Looks like 2008 is the year of the Korean Robin Hood, with Hong Gil Dong finishing off, SBS Iljimae coming in May, MBC Iljimae planned for later in the year, and now KBS's Choi Kang Chil Woo in June.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Mar 26th, '08, 18:22

belleza wrote: Speaking of sageuks, here's a clip of the greatest sageuk of all!

LOL :lol I really have no idea what's going on, but when Tablo's on the screen it's always entertaining.

What's always turned me away from sageuks was the way they talk. The dialect seems to consist of all sentences ending in "habnida" or "ibnikka" and I can't stand it. Also the stuff the people wear on their heads and the way they put up their hair. Some actors/actresses only look good because of their hairstyle but when everyone's heads are covered up with heavy objects like that, as kobe said, everyone looks the same.

slimgal162006

Post by slimgal162006 » Mar 26th, '08, 21:39

My favorite Korean Dramas are Bad Love, Bad Couple, and Golden Bride. Korean Dramas are the best. I am happy that Bad Love is on DVD because I am going to buy it. I hope Golden Bride will be released on DVD soon because I really love that show.

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 26th, '08, 22:30

One cannot be a true macho sageuk man without the trademark facial hair and funny belt
Ahh, "macho Tablo." Just not meant to be! :D
Looks like 2008 is the year of the Korean Robin Hood, with Hong Gil Dong finishing off, SBS Iljimae coming in May, MBC Iljimae planned for later in the year, and now KBS's Choi Kang Chil Woo in June.
I'm not sure why, but SBS Illjimae will probably air near the end of this year, entirely post-shoot. We may still see a simultaneous matchup between MBC and SBS over their respective Iljimaes.

KBS runs the most sageuks, and they're the most progressive with the form. Hong Gil Dong was a good performer for KBS (ratings not especially high, but it probably had strong Netizen viewership), and Hallyu is still doing well with exporting sageuks to rest of Asia. Fusion historical dramas is still a unique Korean niche. What's really interesting is the price tag attached to the project. Eric will be getting 30m won per episode, which would put him in A-list territory. For sake of comparison, YEH was earning 20m/epi for Coffee Prince.
Some actors/actresses only look good because of their hairstyle but when everyone's heads are covered up with heavy objects like that, as kobe said, everyone looks the same.
I do love 4 feet high hair. Instant shade in those hot summer days in Seoul! Also the overall "sageuk face" can be a bit distracting, since current K-pop fashion emphasizes fringes. You almost never see stadium-size foreheads anymore.

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » Mar 27th, '08, 03:29

belleza wrote:I'm not sure why, but SBS Illjimae will probably air near the end of this year, entirely post-shoot. We may still see a simultaneous matchup between MBC and SBS over their respective Iljimaes.

KBS runs the most sageuks, and they're the most progressive with the form. Hong Gil Dong was a good performer for KBS (ratings not especially high, but it probably had strong Netizen viewership), and Hallyu is still doing well with exporting sageuks to rest of Asia. Fusion historical dramas is still a unique Korean niche. What's really interesting is the price tag attached to the project. Eric will be getting 30m won per episode, which would put him in A-list territory. For sake of comparison, YEH was earning 20m/epi for Coffee Prince.
Really? To my knowledge, SBS Iljimae was originally postponed to August or later, but recently it seems they're going well and it'll air in May (projected date being May 14th), after On Air finishes its run. It'd probably be better for SBS to try and get their Iljimae out before MBC; it'll have the advantage since there's less to compare with. I do hope they're not going to rush it out just because of this aspect, though. I'm really looking forward to Lee Junki playing Iljimae because he really has the look and the acting skills to carry this off, and it'd be great if they do it properly. If this is done well, it might help re-establish my faith in SBS, because I haven't liked anything they've released since Surgeon Bong Dal Hee. Both KBS and MBC has the advantage of their previous sageuk triumphs.

I've been reading your write-ups about the different types of sageuks produced in KBS and MBC; they're very informative and interesting :D I think Hong Gil Dong did so well (with the netizens, ratings doesn't really prove anything sometimes) partly because of Kang Ji Hwan, although Sung Yuri was a surprise as well. He really carried the drama. I'll be really interested to see how Eric does; I can't imagine him playing an ancient role at all, plus his acting hasn't impressed me thus far. It seems all three stations are competing with each other over the Robin Hood theme.

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 27th, '08, 04:53

To my knowledge, SBS Iljimae was originally postponed to August or later, but recently it seems they're going well and it'll air in May (projected date being May 14th), after On Air finishes its run
Oh you know what, I think I was wrong about that. There was a press release in February that Illjmae would air after Gourmet and I Love You finishes airing, which is the Monday/Tuesday slot and in the winter 2008. Originally they wanted to target Dae Mul in the Wed/Thursday slot after On Air. But Dae Mul won't be ready by then, so last week, they've announced the 3rd shuffling this year of the show.

I'm not completely happy about this BTW. Originally they were going to project the show toward August, which would have enabled the production to finish completely prior to air. That improves quality significantly as now the writers can actually put together all the episodes without looking at ratings (see most sageuks, including Dae Jang Geum) or running out of time (see Legend) or getting a call from the SBS crew to "extend" the show (see Beautiful Days, aka "let's see what we can do to Choi Ji Woo . . .")

It's not unusual for people to extend sageuks to milk ratings or help the programming of other shows -- (Dae Jang Geum became Dae Jang Geum partially because they retooled the story *bigtime* to satiate all the Madam Han fans (uhm, like me!)) But, then again, they extended Jumong for another 20 episodes, and you can tell. (Hello Mountain Witch!! :D ) But maybe a live shoot won't affect the situation here. Just hoping it's good. I'm also looking forward to Lee Jung Ki / Han Hyo Joo; HHJ's kinda on the bubble of being the new Song Hye Kyo.. If the show does well, her popularity will explode.
I think Hong Gil Dong did so well (with the netizens, ratings doesn't really prove anything sometimes) partly because of Kang Ji Hwan, although Sung Yuri was a surprise as well.
Yeah, KJH is a Netizen darling (thanks to Be Strong Geum Soon), and he's also popular in China. It being s a Hong Sisters drama as well as a fusion drama help too. Netizens are drooling over Iljimae.

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » Mar 27th, '08, 05:42

They've been shuffling shows an awful lot this year, particularly with the continuous extensions of their sageuks - Yi San going from the original plan of 50 to 76, plus King and I being extended a couple of times as well. At the rate it's going, it seems shows like Gourmet/East of Eden/I Love You is never going to start.

For selfish reasons, I'm glad SBS Iljimae is going to air earlier, because I don't think I can survive the excitement until August or the end of the year, even :lol But I agree with you that it'd be a better guarantor of quality if they finish filming the whole thing before airing it. Part of the reason why shows like Yi San and King and I have seen slight drops in ratings is because the plot is dragging and losing the original pacing. Extensions = ratings killer, as far as I'm concerned. Even though they're often done at the request of fans (like in the case of King and I), it rarely comes out well, and directors end up tacking unnecessary sub plots or "fillers" to the original story just to drag it out :/ I sincerely hope that won't affect Iljimae! Stations need to learn to stick to their own thing and not be shaken simply because ratings are rising :P

Han Hyo Joo's extremely popular already, thanks to By Land and Sky/As Much as Heaven & Earth, and from the attention that Iljimae's already garnering, it seems the show will get fairly decent ratings. She's very talented, and so is Junki, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll carry it off. I'm fairly excited to see how it'll compare to the MBC as well; MBC obviously has the better reputation for producing historical dramas, and they have the advantage of the original comic, but Lee Seung Gi is virtually unknown in the acting world.

It seems it's the latest trend to cast young, up & coming idols in sageuks. Older viewers may be mourning before long, over the change from the old historical classics to sageuks turning into something more popular and more accessible for younger watchers + overseas people.

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 27th, '08, 08:00

It seems it's the latest trend to cast young, up & coming idols in sageuks. Older viewers may be mourning before long, over the change from the old historical classics to sageuks turning into something more popular and more accessible for younger watchers + overseas people.
Yeah, I was thinking that when Hye Sun was cast in the lead part for King and I. But, I think SBS has probably done this with some of their sageuks for years. Dae-mang -- the one sageuk that I'm dying to see -- had Son Yeh Jin, Lee Yo Won, and Jang Hyuk, who were 20, 21, and 26 respectively, in lead parts.

Lee Jung Ki's just in a really interesting (and enviable) place as actor. He's an idol, but he's also a serious movie actor, who could become the Jang Dong Gun of his generation. Because he became famous across Asia doing a period drama, he's credible to an older audience doing a sageuk. In addition, the parallel of him doing a remake of the manhwa adaptation that starred JDG in 93 is also symbolic.
MBC obviously has the better reputation for producing historical dramas, and they have the advantage of the original comic, but Lee Seung Gi is virtually unknown in the acting world.
I just can't see how this is going to work, even if you use the same PD. Do the director really want the audience to compare LSG with LJK?
Han Hyo Joo's extremely popular already, thanks to By Land and Sky/As Much as Heaven & Earth, and from the attention that Iljimae's already garnering, it seems the show will get fairly decent ratings.
Oh I love Han Hyo Joo! There's this one story from the Nonstop 5 set where she asked the director to let her do take after take because she wanted to nail down the precise emotion of her character. Now, if you actually seen Nonstop 5, you'd be like "whhhhaaaa??!??" :D Her acting still needs a lot of work, but her basic approach and work ethic reveal an ambition to become a serious character actress. Whatever she lacks in experience or God-given talent, she makes it up with fighting spirit.

Speaking of H&E, definitely watch out for Park Hae Jin when he does East of Eden. He's kinda off the radar at Soompi, but I seriously think he's going to be the next Binnie.

LesBijoux

Post by LesBijoux » Mar 28th, '08, 15:32

The Legend of King Four Gods
Coffee Prince
Time of Dog & Wolf
New Heart
Surgeon Bong Dal Hee
Hong Gil Dong
Evasive Inquire Agency
Goong
Capital Scandal
Delightful Girl Choon Hyang
Jewel in the Palace
My Girl
Dal Ja's Spring
Jumong
Snow Queen
Full House
A love to kill
Vineyard man

ENJOY :mrgreen:

chri23

Post by chri23 » Mar 29th, '08, 15:03

Hi there! Interesting to see the discussions going on. Here are my favs.

The story of the 1st king's four gods - Bae yong jun is gorgeous as the king. I liked the strategies that the king planned, action scenes were superb - I coudn't imagine BYJ as an action actor but I've completely changed my mind. One of the female leads will wring your emotions with her acting and the other female lead will make you laugh. Good supporting cast.Lots of humour as well. Ending was slightly rushed as BYJ had been seriously hurt before that but he still continued acting.

My name is Kim sam soon - no need for intro

Lovers in prague - amazing dialogue & chemistry between main cast.

Beautiful days - kind of old but LBH's chemistry is incredible - makes you melt.

Rivals - Kim jae won was acting, can't remember the female lead but I enjoyed the story.

Did we really love - Old drama of BYJ before he grew long hair. I think this drama really showcased his talent more than any other dramas. Female lead was good too.Sad ending.

Hotelier - another BYJ. Don't get the wrong idea that I'm a die hard BYJ fan, it just happens to be a good drama. Anyway it's about a hotel & the difficulties that the management faces with a good love story woven in and some intrigue as well.

salaliman85

Post by salaliman85 » Mar 31st, '08, 14:09

Anybody has any advice about these Dramas .... which i have to watch .... which i have to watch first?? .... thank you

- A millionaire´s first love
- goong
- hong gil dong
- surgeon bong dal hee
- jumong
- it started with a kiss
- the legend of king four gods
- bad couple
- dal ja´s spring
- thank you

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » Apr 1st, '08, 13:21

^Surgeon Bong Dal Hee is seriously, seriously good (assuming you have nothing against seeing surgery scenes and you're not crazily scared of the sight of blood). The lives, relationships and trials of all those surgeons make you fall in love with the lot of them. I must admit I didn't like any of them that much at the beginning, but by the end you care for every single one.

Dal Ja's Spring is great fun, and so is ISWAK (though what is it doing in the Kdrama Recs thread? It's a twdrama). Jumong is great even if you're not generally into historical dramas. It's like a super exciting action movie split up into 81 episodes and set in ancient times, really. I'd advise you to grab it off a friend or borrow the boxset from the library or something and marathon it during the holidays ;D Legend isn't very sageuk-y either. More like a fantasy flick, but Bae Yong Joon is good in it...? Entertaining if nothing else.

Goong... I wouldn't recommend it unless you really like trendy dramas, can stand long angsty drivel, is into romance & love squares, or you're just a huge fan of Yoon Eun Hye/Kim Jung Hoon/Joo Ji Hoon. I personally wanted those hours of my life back, but many people loved it, so it's up to you.

salaliman85

Post by salaliman85 » Apr 2nd, '08, 06:36

thank u very much Hanjae. I watched iryu and currently before and after plastic surgery clinic. really2 good drama. :cheers: 4 both of them. so, i think medical drama is one of my fav genre. i will start wif surgeon bong dal hee. If anyone ever watched thank you, please give some comment about the drama coz the synopsis sound pretty good. Thank to all. :D

Riikoo

Post by Riikoo » Apr 3rd, '08, 05:19

I really liked these dramas =)
>Bad Love
>Coffee Prince
>Soul Mate
>My Girl
>Nodame Contabile (Japanese)
>Romantic Princess(TW)
>GOONG
>Smiling Pasta(TW)
>Yukan Club (J)
>Witch Yoo-Hee
>Que Sera Sera
>One Fine Day
>Over the Rainbow (drama)

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Apr 3rd, '08, 05:31

Hanjae wrote: Goong... I wouldn't recommend it unless you really like trendy dramas, can stand long angsty drivel, is into romance & love squares, or you're just a huge fan of Yoon Eun Hye/Kim Jung Hoon/Joo Ji Hoon. I personally wanted those hours of my life back, but many people loved it, so it's up to you.
Haha so true, I want my 24 hours back too. Was expecting so much from the drama because I really liked the manga, but dangit, the whole Goong series didnt make me laugh nor felt any emotion. The actors were so 1-dimensional. If you are a fan of Yoon Eun Hye, like me, don't even watch this. It will only make you like her acting less. I would recommend watching Coffee Prince though. Now that's one big of an improvement.

Jaja

Post by Jaja » Apr 4th, '08, 05:42

Last year I only enjoyed Dalja Spring.

I hope 2nq quater of 2008 will show a good one.

Silentwolfdog

Post by Silentwolfdog » Apr 8th, '08, 03:25

Hmm, can anyone tell me if The Legend of King Four Gods has a sad ending?

If not, then I guess I'll give it a chance. I liked Hong Gil Dong, but it's ending is what I can't stand. If anyone know shows similar to Hong Gil Dong but with happier ending, please let me know.

I hate sad ending.

tourette

Post by tourette » Apr 8th, '08, 12:41

The Legend of the First King's Four Gods doesn't end very well. this is not as sad as HGD but i suppose that's because it was not as good too and... well... expected since the very beginning of the show.
Last edited by tourette on Apr 8th, '08, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

wuff

Post by wuff » Apr 8th, '08, 12:45

Jaja wrote:Last year I only enjoyed Dalja Spring.

I hope 2nq quater of 2008 will show a good one.

yeah, it was a really really good one.
Last edited by wuff on Apr 10th, '08, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

RyuNoKami

Post by RyuNoKami » Apr 10th, '08, 16:40

can someone recommend me some romantic comedies or historical dramas like Yi San?

wuff

Post by wuff » Apr 10th, '08, 17:06

RyuNoKami wrote:can someone recommend me some romantic comedies or historical dramas like Yi San?

romantic comedy: Dal Ja's Spring :cheers:

littlemafia

Post by littlemafia » Apr 10th, '08, 17:36

currently i watch Who are you? so i would like to recommend to guys who still not watch yet!!
great drama
:thumleft:

RyuNoKami

Post by RyuNoKami » Apr 11th, '08, 05:14

wuff wrote:
RyuNoKami wrote:can someone recommend me some romantic comedies or historical dramas like Yi San?

romantic comedy: Dal Ja's Spring :cheers:
o yea..tht was pretty good stowed away in my external hard driver. xD

thundie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by thundie » Apr 13th, '08, 16:38

kobe23 wrote:I'm experiencing something similar with The Legend right now. For like about 5 episodes straight the dialogue goes like this:

Ho Gae: "I'm gonna be the Joo Shin King"
Dam Duk: "No, *I* am gonna be the Joo Shin King"
Ho Gae: "But I wanna be the Joo Shin King"
Dam Duk: "The heaven's have already decided - I am the Joo Shin King"
Ho Gae: "But my mommy said that I will be the Joo Shin King!"

Yeah I know, wild exaggeration, but it feels like that at times :) But apart from that, it's been a good drama so far.
LOL. There were times when I was editing the Legend subs and thought I would scream if I heard "Joo Shin King" repeated again!

Great thread and discussion. Just chanced on it today. :salut:

kobe23 wrote: Also, do you, or does anyone else know X's top 10 of 2007?
You can find the complete list of X's Top Dramas of 2007 (translated into English) here:

http://www.jisubaddicts.com/forum/index ... 0&start=20

If you're interested in knowing which are X's top sageuks, go here:

http://www.jisubaddicts.com/forum/index ... 35&st=2940

belleza

Post by belleza » Apr 13th, '08, 21:03

X's Top 10 of 2007. (Note: No Coffee Prince. No Legend. . . )
10. Que Sera Sera (MBC 케세라세라)
09. Time of Dog and Wolf (MBC 개와 늑대의 시간)
08. Thank You (MBC 고맙습니다)
07. Mawang (KBS 마왕)
06. Noona (MBC 누나)
05. Catch a Kangnam Mother (SBS 강남엄마 따라잡기)
04. Eight Days Mystery Of Jeong Jo Assassination (채널CGV 정조암살미스터리 - 8일)

03. Mixed-up Investigative Agency (얼렁뚱땅 흥신소)
02. White Tower (하얀거탑)
01. Conspiracy in the Court (한성별곡 正)

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Apr 13th, '08, 21:13

belleza wrote:X's Top 10 of 2007. (Note: No Coffee Prince. No Legend. . . )
10. Que Sera Sera (MBC 케세라세라)
09. Time of Dog and Wolf (MBC 개와 늑대의 시간)
08. Thank You (MBC 고맙습니다)
07. Mawang (KBS 마왕)
06. Noona (MBC 누나)
05. Catch a Kangnam Mother (SBS 강남엄마 따라잡기)
04. Eight Days Mystery Of Jeong Jo Assassination (채널CGV 정조암살미스터리 - 8일)

03. Mixed-up Investigative Agency (얼렁뚱땅 흥신소)
02. White Tower (하얀거탑)
01. Conspiracy in the Court (한성별곡 正)
5 of them aren't even fansubbed :roll ... but thanks to engrish subs I somehow understood even those.

Overall a lot like my top list, just that I would add Legend...it suprised me that X didn't review at least the first episodes of Legend.
The only suprise in there is Noona...maybe I watched it half asleep but I didn't like the first 5 episodes.

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Apr 13th, '08, 21:55

lilswtangel wrote:I downloaded "Resurrection's" subtitles as the episodes were airing.........but never grabbed the actual videos. I don't think credeisca has them up on her clubbox anymore, but she gave that drama really high reviews so it must have been good.

Fast-forward to 2008, I STILL need to get my hands on Resurrection!

After a recommendation from someone here (sorry, I forgot who it was), I gave "The Immortal Lee Soon-Shin" a chance and I must say.......this historical kdrama is an A+ in my book!

Since 2004, "DaMo" still continues to be my favorite period kdrama.......and I'll continue to rewatch it until the day the ending someone miraculously changes in order to appease the fans. XD

belleza

Post by belleza » Apr 13th, '08, 22:29

Oh and I forgot . . the X Awards of 2007 (spoiler alert!) What, no love for Goong S? :D

BTW, "King and I" did very well in individual X awards, but neither that show nor "Yi San" qualified for the officials list, as neither had finished their run yet. I think K+I has been more popular critically than Yi San too.

I need to give MIA another shot. Especially after watching the first episode of Lobbyist and just being stunned by the expensive not-so-good-ness of it.