Looking for the best window type but don’t know which one to select? Whether to get vinyl window designs or wood ones? Want to compare both options on the basis of advantages and disadvantages? If yes, then let’s start the discussion.
When homeowners are clueless about where and how they should move with window replacement, there is no better option but to consult with the experts. Although they have an abundance of options and desire to satisfy personal requirements, wood and vinyl windows usually turn out to be worth considering alternatives. Homeowners just have to know what would suit their needs.
Vinyl windows are referred to as the best types available today. They are particularly famous for being energy efficient and secure. Vinyl is also named as PVC or Poly-Vinyl Chloride that is used for numerous industrial and domestic purposes. The material is sturdy and promises to keep inhabitants safe from all types of external elements. Unlike a few years ago, vinyl windows are now available in different colors, meaning that homeowners do not have to paint or stain them.
- High resistance: These windows can efficiently resist environmental factors than wood. Their performance depends upon the quality and manufacturing technique. High-quality vinyl units can protect scratches, corrosion, warping, rot, etc.
- Easy to install: With quick replacement parts and ease in handling, vinyl windows do not demand manual labor as compared to their counterparts.
- Low maintenance: They are virtually maintenance free and can serve for a long time period.
- Good insulation: Since vinyl is the multi-chambered material, it can offer incredible thermal performance. It maintains internal temperature and cuts down utility expenses. The best of all, it is quite reasonable on the pocket.
- Environmental impact: Because their manufacturing process involves some chemicals, they are a risk on the environment. Although they are recyclable, their dangerous effects do not go away with the process. They are actually quite difficult to handle in terms of environmental friendliness.
- Melting possibility: Vinyl can melt in heat just like other plastic products.
- Vulnerability: During extreme weather, vinyl windows may discolor over time.
In order to add personality and value to the home, wood windows are usually the preferable option. With wooden frames, they can give a rustic and stylish appearance. If carved and stained properly, they can bring beauty and elegance to even a drab, dull room. Though, it is necessary to compare them with vinyl windows in order to figure out if wood windows are good or not.
- Curb appeal: Wood windows have smooth, natural patterns that give a traditional and classic appearance to the home.
- Durability: If properly take care of, wood windows do not crack or warp. High-quality wood units are extremely durable and work for a significant time.
- Amazing insulation: Wood is among those few defenses that can fight against hot and cold temperatures. They can keep rooms warmth during winter and chill during summer and help to save some bucks.
- Paintable: Unlike vinyl windows, timber wood options can be painted or stained in whatever color homeowners want.
- High maintenance: Wood windows are usually prone to moisture and humidity. They may deteriorate over time.
- Expensive: These classic units are more costly than vinyl windows. Their pricing is completely different from other options.
- Highly Flammable: Wood is a good conductor of heat and therefore, it may catch fire immediately.
Now that some important facts are clear, it would be quite easy for homeowners to choose either wood or vinyl window design.