Growing your business to the next level has never been simple. It involves a lot of decision making around various elements ranging from technology to environmental issues. For most business owners, one of the biggest challenges has always been changing the business software to manage the expanding processes.
In other words, when your company expands, you may have to reconsider its software requirements to accommodate these changes. This involves proper planning, deep research and finding the right team to work with to achieve your goals. At times you may not have a qualified in-house development team, thus you need to look for a software development company that understands your goals and shares your vision.
Image source: www.psi-software.com
There are no specific traits that define the best technical developer for your business. Therefore, finding the best software development partner and establishing a lasting trustful relationship is not an easy task. It depends on business requirements in a particular situation and time.
However, with the right approach and guidelines, choosing the right partner can be a lot easier. Below we have analyzed some of the factors you should consider when you are looking for a suitable partner for your company or organization.
Why is it Important to Choose the Right Software Development Partner
Irrespective of size of your company, you will need IT solution to maximize the efficiency and functionality of various business operations. In most cases business owners are torn between working with an internal team and software development outsourcing partner. Here are some of the benefits of software outsourcing:
- Expertise and Equipment – It gives you access to a team which has high expertise and experience in business development. Moreover, your partner software development company has the necessary tools and equipment required to complete the task quickly and accurately.
- Time management – Your software outsourcing partner dedicates all their resources and efforts to meet the project timelines. Besides, this leaves you and your in-house team with sufficient time to focus on core business processes.
- Lower operational cost – Outsourcing is always cheaper than hiring a permanent software development team.
- Lower risk and higher success rate – Being your business partner, the outsourcing software development firm shares the ambition to enhance the efficiency of your business functions. Moreover, you share the risks associated with software development
What is the role of the software development partner?
The role of your software development company of choice may vary depending on the partnership terms and your needs. The roles comprise of some or all of the following:
- Analysing the current system and identifying software needs.
- Software development project management.
- Design, develop and test new business software.
- Upgrading existing system.
- Support and User training.
It is therefore critical to choose the most suited software solution partner to meet your short-term and long-term objectives. The best software development team should assist in implementation of ideal solutions to help you in the following ways:
- Lower operational cost through automation of tasks.
- Boost the efficiency of business processes.
- Improve employees’ performance and productivity.
- Integrate various business functions and operation for easy management.
- Effective communication with customers and other stakeholders.
- Reduce errors by minimizing paperwork.
Top 5 Factors to Consider When Choosing the Right Software Development Company
If you looking for the best partner to handle your business software needs, you need to pay attention to a number of factors to avoid delays and redundant costs.
- Your Business Requirements
Before you start to hunt for the right IT solution development partner, you should first define you software needs? Do you need backend, frontend developers, designers and analysts, or a whole project team? Understanding what you want and the kind of partnership you are looking should determine the most fitted provider. Moreover, this will make it easier to integrate the external team as they already understand their role and your expectations.
- Competence, Experience and Testimonials
When you get to the market, you should assess the expertise and experience of the software development company in your industry. Know the number of professionals, completed projects, clients and existing relationship relating to your niche. You can learn this by sending RDI asking about certifications in specific technologies, references and work samples. Were their previous customers happy with their work? Can they recommend them?
Having completed projects with the similar functionality is a good indicator that the partner will easily understand your needs. It also enables the development partner to analyze complex requirements and pay attention to details.
- Location and Exposure
You may choose local or international IT solution development firm, but you need to understand cultures, process and workflows may vary with location. Whatever the case, you need to look for a company who understands the local business environment, culture and competition. Additionally, you need to consider the difference in time zones as this may affect productivity, especially if your local team is involved in the project.
However, a company with global experience provides a more diverse team and a wider knowledge base. If you choose to work with a foreign software development company, it is important to consider language barrier to ensure effective communication.
Customer demands, technologies and business practices may change in the course of the project or after. Your development partners should be flexible enough with skills and ability to help you adapt to changing business environment.
- Development Tools, Technologies and Processes
Enquire about the companies’ proficiency with your preferred technologies, the project workflow, and software quality control. Do they use automated or peer code review tests? What are their project management tools? Additionally, ask if work include technical documentation and any other project details. You should find a company with the right technology stack necessary to complete your project.
If you need system upgrade or developing new software for your business, finding the right software development company to partner can be the best option. It not only saves you time and money, but also ensures delivery of the best solution and continuity of the business. It is important to understand your business goals and assess the competence of the outsourcing company before making the final decisions. The above five factors forms the foundation of the selection criteria. You may have to consider the costs, business model and culture compatibility and the size of the company among other things.