Fast foods are notorious for being unhealthy. Not only they are high in sodium and cholesterol, but they also contain trans-fat and saturated fat. According to an article published in Forbes, since 1980, fast food has become increasingly unhealthy, leading to obesity, diabetes, and heart disease in people of all age group. Fast foods like fries, burgers, sandwiches, and pizzas are so addictive that it won’t be easy for anyone to stop eating these junks.
So, what is the better alternative?
Several dieticians think that Ketogenic or Keto-friendly fast food can be a good substitute for those who can’t entirely avoid eating unhealthy fast foods. This diet primarily consists of moderate protein, low carbohydrates, and high fat. Its nutrients are usually portioned as 55% to 60% fat; 30 to 35% protein, and 5% to 10% carbohydrates.
Over the years, millions of people across the globe have started following the keto diet. Even some people are sharing their keto transformation on Instagram. This is extremely discussed through the most notorious food blogs on the web.
If you’re one of those who are struggling to limit fast food intake, below we have put together a few best Keto-friendly fast foods for you.
Usually, burgers from restaurants are high in carbs because of their buns. Nevertheless, you can make your own keto-friendly burger by skipping the bun and toppings.
Remember, toppings like ketchup, honey-mustard sauce, breaded onions, and teriyaki sauce are high in carbs. So, avoid them. You can replace them with fried egg, mayo, lettuce and ranch dressing. By swapping out the spongy dough buns and high carb toppings, you can make any burger keto friendly.
Even if you have to take your breakfast at a restaurant, it won’t be difficult for you to choose a keto-friendly breakfast. Most restaurants serve eggs, which is an excellent ketogenic diet itself. Not just eggs are high in protein and fat; they’re excessively low in carbs. Since one egg comprises of 1 gram of carbs, you can take it in breakfast without having to worry about anything.
Most egg dishes are accompanied with hash browns or bread; you can make your order keto-friendly by requesting for avoiding any topping and bread. Two of the popular keto-friendly breakfast options available at two renowned fast food chains include:
- McDonald’s Big Breakfast without hash browns and biscuit: This meal contains 26 gram of fat, 19 grams of protein, 340 calories and 2 gram of carbs says, McDonald.
- Burger King Ultimate Breakfast platter without biscuits, pancakes and hash brown: It contains 29 grams of fat, 16 grams of protein, 340 calories and 1 gram of fat according to Burger King.
Chicken Sandwich Bunless
If you want to keep your lunch or dinner simple when eating fast food, you can go for a bunless chicken sandwich. When you take a grilled chicken with high-fat toppings and without a bun, you stay in ketosis process. With most restaurants, you will find this option available.
Two of the easy, low-carb, high-fat chicken sandwiches include:
- McDonald’s Pico Guacamole Sandwich without the bun: It contains 18 grams of fat, 34 grams of protein, 330 calories and 34 grams of protein.
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich from Wendy with extra mayo and no bun: The meal includes 16 grams of fat, 29 grams of protein, 286 calories and 5 grams of carbs.
Apart from their good taste and excellent crunchy texture, eating a good serving of fresh salad can have significant health benefits. However, salads from fast-food establishments can be rich in carbs. For instance, Apple Pecan Chicken Salad from Wendy’s includes 40 grams of sugar and 52 grams of carbs.
Usually, toppings like dried fruit, marinades, dressings add too many carbs to salads. So to keep carbs at bay in your salad, strictly skip ingredients those are high in sugar. Also, avoid sweet dressing.
Some salad options you can choose from include:
- Chipotle Salad Bowl with salsa, sour cream, cheese, and romaine. Its nutritional value is 30 grams of protein, 23 grams of fat, 405 calories, and 7 grams of carbs.
- Roast Turkey Farmhouse Salad with ranch dressing and buttermilk from Arby’s: It has 22 grams of protein, 35 grams of fat, 440 calories and 10 grams of carbs.
Always stick with high-fat and low-carb dressings such as vinegar, ranch or oil. Avoid candied nuts, breaded chicken, and croutons.
Fast food drinks once in a while are fine, but making a habit out of it can lead to a range of health hazards. Most beverages we drink in roadside restaurants tend to be high in calories. From sweet tea to sugary coffee drinks to milkshakes are adequate to make you overweight.
Taking an example of Dunkin’ Donuts Vanilla Bean Coolatta, it contains 86 grams of sugar – that counts around 22 teaspoons of sugar.
Luckily, there are numerous fast-food beverages that you can make the part of your ketogenic diet. Though the most obvious choice should be plain water, you can consider the following options as well.
- Hot tea with lemon juice
- Unsweetened ice tea
- Black iced coffee
If you’re traveling, keep no-calorie sweeteners with you.
Over the years, low-carb diets have become quite popular across the globe. Perhaps, this is the reason; many fast-food restaurants have added low-carb fast foods in their menus. Keto-friendly Lettuce-wrapped burgers are the right choice for those following ketogenic diet and want to cut carbs.
Though most fast-food restaurants don’t feature lettuce-wrapped burger in their menu option, they shouldn’t deny accommodating this request from customers. Some of the lettuce-wrapped burger available on fast-food menus are:
- Five Guys Bacon Cheeseburger in a lettuce wrap with mayo contains 20 grams of protein, 34 grams of fat, 394 calories and 1 gram of carb.
- Lettuce-Wrapped Thickburger from Carl’s Jr comprises 25 grams of protein, 33 grams of fat, 420 calories and 8 grams of carbs.
When you’re on the ketogenic diet, it is always challenging to eat out. You have to look for a place that can easily fit into your keto diet menu. Hopefully, this blog will help you maintain ketosis even without missing your favorite fast food.